PDA

View Full Version : It was satire. Now, two refreshing aspects to the Artest saga.

McKeyFan
11-12-2004, 04:32 PM
TBrowncolt and Soup got it right. My post a couple days ago saying WE have the problem -- we need to view Ron's problems like a physical injury -- was satire.

[url]http://www.pacersdigest.com/cgi-bin/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=104505

Thanks, you two, for having a little suspicion. :p

I do think Ron's exceptional abilities (and "exceptional" includes his rather odd rationality) need to be considered. But I'll stick with what I said in a former thread: my best hope is that the tough love of Larry and Rick will somehow win the day.

But on to this thread's topic:

Number 1: you gotta love the drama and comedy that evolves from Artest. Of course, you have to distance yourself a bit emotionally as a Pacer fan. But, really, think about how this guy contrasts with Birdlisle.

Larry Bird and Rick are the essence of control. Rationality. There's not an obstacle they can't overcome. And they will work and work and work until they do.

Confronted with a rebellious punk? No problem. Give him a straight up talking to, watch him turn it around or walk away. This is how the world works. (Maybe Tinsley was this way).

Sign up an eager, well-behaved solid citizen (Croshere?). If he performs, play him. If not, he takes his medicine and sits. Because that's rational. That makes sense. This is the way the world works. It's basic reality.

Enter Artest. For the first time, Bird and Rick don't know exactly what to do with this guy. Can you see the humor here?

He's not exactly rebellious. Not chronically. He's always quick to apologize.

You can't deal with him from the angle of performance or effort. He performs better than just about everybody, and he arguably gives more effort than anyone in the league.

He's a moving target. Rick and Bird don't know exactly how to approach the problem. The guy is crazy. Or is he crazy like a fox?

Number 2: Here's another interesting and refreshing aspect to the Artest phenomenon: He's not completely about the NBA. Have you heard of anyone else considering getting out of the league because he might do something else?

Sure, you can say he doesn't have a snowball's chance in the recording industry. But that's not the point. The point is that, in his mind, HE DOESN"T NEED THE NBA! He says he has enough money. He's got other interests. He 's got family and other challenges that are bigger than the NBA. He believes there's alot more to life than basketball.

Know anyone else in professional sports thinking this way? There certainly ain't many.

Kinda reminds me of Eric Liddell in Chariots of Fire dissing the Olympics for his beliefs. (Then he spends his life as a missionary in China). I'm not saying this is completely analogous. This isn't about God or religion.

Or is it? Maybe more of us than would like to admit take sports WAY too seriously. And money. And when a guy like Artest comes along and thinks outside the fame and materialistic box, it throws us all for a loop.

If you read his crazy ramblings on Indystar.com, I think perhaps you'll find a bit of this mentality in there. He keeps saying: Hey, if I don't want to play basketball, or be in the NBA, or make lots of money, I don't have to. I'm a man. I can do what I want. Don't put me in your materialistic American box.

Now, realistically, he won't do it. He's already backing away. But isn't it damn refreshing to hear a professional athlete even talk this way?

I think it's worth thinking about.

sweabs
11-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Very interesting take McKey. It certainly makes you think.

But when it comes down to it - I don't think Artest realizes what he did and just went on his usual ramblings.

stipo
11-12-2004, 04:57 PM
some very good thoughts. i don't think he is crazy like a fox though. not a dumb guy in a sense, but needless to say he looks at the world in a different way than most people and that doesn't have to be a bad thing. that's where true greatness comes from. if we all acted and thought the same way, we'd still be living in caves. radical thinking!!:o

ChicagoJ
11-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Seems to me that there's a six-year contract he signed that says he's just blowing smoke or talking out of his butt.

To paraphrase: Don't sign the dotted line if you can't do the time.

SoupIsGood
11-12-2004, 05:09 PM
TBrowncolt and Soup got it right.

Or is it? Maybe more of us than would like to admit take sports WAY too seriously. And money. And when a guy like Artest comes along and thinks outside the fame and materialistic box, it throws us all for a loop.

First of all, I'm always right. :flirt:

And that very same thought hit this morning while watching Artest on espn (the second part of the quote above), talking in his car. Maybe he just wants to be happy. If that's what he's after, I wish him the best. But I think he was just rambling.

McKeyFan
11-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Seems to me that there's a six-year contract he signed that says he's just blowing smoke or talking out of his butt.

Yeah, you're exactly right. If he gave the same statements during the summer while a free agent, now THAT would bring some credibility with it. Nevetheless, as I said, just the thought process happening at all is still kinda refreshing.

waxman
11-14-2004, 03:33 AM

Yeah, you're exactly right. If he gave the same statements during the summer while a free agent, now THAT would bring some credibility with it. Nevetheless, as I said, just the thought process happening at all is still kinda refreshing.

Interesting...

Who can say whether Ron even knows whats going on inside his own head....or what motivates his words and actions....

Is it authentic family values?....Is it un-abashed individiualism?.... or a genius marketing campaign by his label... for which they didn't have to spend one red cent ???....or is he just an ignorant fool...not realizing or caring about the consequences of his actions??

The blurring of those lines is frustrating... and easily misunderstood.... in any case it is selfish.... how this impacts the team and the season will surely define the rational...and the final story....at least in our (the fans) minds.