PDA

View Full Version : Please make Buckner shut up

doctor-h
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
He knows what every player has thought while they are doing something in every game they ever played in their entire life. Nothing he doesn't know.

Phree Refill
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Can't say I disagree with you but if you are just now noticing this you've clearly not watched many games on tv or were previously devoid of any kind of hearing ability whatsoever and recently had corrective surgery. Those are the only two explanations.

Ownagedood
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
He was a player.. I respect his bball opinion and knowledge before a lot of ppl, including 99% of the ppl on this board.

He can get annoying, but cmon.

bballpacen
02-16-2012, 10:11 PM
He knows what every player has thought while they are doing something in every game they ever played in their entire life. Nothing he doesn't know.
If he is such a wealth of knowledge, then I dont know why he should shut up...

joew8302
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I disagree. I love Quinn. Great insights and a guy who is genuinely having fun and informing the masses.

jeffg-body
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
I can't hear them tonight, we lost the sound on our TV so I had to do the play-by-play to the wife. Needless to say she went in the other room about half way through the third quarter.

Pingu
02-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I like Quinn. He's jolly.

LG33
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Can't say I disagree with you but if you are just now noticing this you've clearly not watched many games on tv or were previously devoid of any kind of hearing ability whatsoever and recently had corrective surgery. Those are the only two explanations.

What if he had a TV with broken speakers and just got a new one?

What if his remote control was stuck on mute for the past several years, and he just got that replaced as well?

Perhaps his newborn children - kids who are usually asleep by game time and are easily awoken by a grown man's befuddled laughter - have grown up?

I think there are more than two explanations!

Mr_Smith
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Sorry! I disagree! I enjoy Quinn's commentary and his explanations of game situations. Sometimes he "over explains" but I still enjoy his commentary nonetheless.

JEM
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
If he was articulate it wouldnt be bad but alot of the time he changes thoughts or angles several times before getting to the point and by then its several plays later.

TheDon
02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I get tired of buckner playing referee on every play "oh they missed this call" "oh it should have been called this" almost always in the opposing teams favor Id say its 90 - 10 in the oppositions favor. I only pray that other referee's dont receive copies of our games with chris and quinn doing the commentary, cause they'll probably say...ya know what, we have been really screwing these other teams over even their own commentator thinks so...I'm not saying Quinn should turn into stacey king but listen to a game where croshere is in quinns spot and it is night and day.

idioteque
02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
I like Buckner. He is kind of like that crazy uncle that says off-base some things but is overall a source of knowledge and entertaining to listen to.

PR07
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
He does provide a nice insight, that most play-by-play guys really don't in that he thinks like a basketball player. Most guys would say such in such made a bad pass, but Quinn will tell you, he thought his teammate was going to cut, jumped in the air and then got held up and had to force it. It's stuff like that that separates him apart, call it annoying, but I like it.

skyfire
02-16-2012, 11:47 PM
After listening to NBA.tv coverage, he isn't nearly as annoying as some of the other guys that call for other teams. Cleveland's color commentator is really annoying

CJ Jones
02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
I might have agreed with you a couple years ago, but he's grown on me. He's actually better than most color analysts. I've had league pass for 3 years now, and you'd be surprised at how bad some of the other teams broadcasters are.

I thought he was really good tonight. Better than usual.

xBulletproof
02-17-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm not a fan of Quinn, but c'mon, this isn't the night. He wasn't bad and Denari had some winners like ....

"Pacers keep giving up paints in the point" ....

"and Duke wins!"

Asher99
02-17-2012, 12:26 AM
I love when Quinn is doing the games, I enjoy his insight and excitability but love the random funny stuff even more. It seems like once a game he and Denari aren't on the same page about something leading to some funny awkward moments.

Day-V
02-17-2012, 12:28 AM
I've never gotten the disdain for Quinn. Always enjoyed the guy, never had a problem with him announcing games.

I think as a whole, we've been pretty fortunate to have the quality of announcers both radio and TV in the past 15+ years.

Bball
02-17-2012, 12:38 AM
One thing I'd like to point out is Croshere is really good as a tv color commentator. I think we were all used to swapping back and forth from Clark and Quinn on different games, but I don't think we were ready for Croshere to be so good on his games that he makes Quinn look bad (in comparison).

Gold
02-17-2012, 01:33 AM
I get tired of buckner playing referee on every play "oh they missed this call" "oh it should have been called this" almost always in the opposing teams favor Id say its 90 - 10 in the oppositions favor. I only pray that other referee's dont receive copies of our games with chris and quinn doing the commentary, cause they'll probably say...ya know what, we have been really screwing these other teams over even their own commentator thinks so...I'm not saying Quinn should turn into stacey king but listen to a game where croshere is in quinns spot and it is night and day.

Not at all true. He just calls it as he sees it. Really I feel a lot of times he's Pacer biased on some of his outlooks on a call.

Day-V
02-17-2012, 01:35 AM
I get tired of buckner playing referee on every play "oh they missed this call" "oh it should have been called this" almost always in the opposing teams favor Id say its 90 - 10 in the oppositions favor.

I'd say it's really more 70-30 in OUR favor.

FireTheCoach
02-17-2012, 01:46 AM
One thing I'd like to point out is Croshere is really good as a tv color commentator. I think we were all used to swapping back and forth from Clark and Quinn on different games, but I don't think we were ready for Croshere to be so good on his games that he makes Quinn look bad (in comparison).

It's kinda odd that as much as we've agreed on most topics over all these years... I can't stand listening to Austin. I think he talks too much... maybe I'm wrong but it just seems to me that he comments on every single freakin play... it's like, "hey Austin... I'm watching this game on TV not listening to it on the radio."

But thats just me and maybe I just never have liked AC anyway..... lol.

Heisenberg
02-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Get League Pass and listen to a couple games of other guys. I'm not the biggest Quinn fan, but we've got it GOOD. Especially Denari.

Mark
02-17-2012, 02:11 AM
I don't know what you're talking about, I love Quinn. He's hard not to like. I actually plan on going to his appearance at the IMCU in Greenwood Saturday.

HC
02-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Have to agree with those of you who realize how good we really have it. There are some awful announcers out there in the NFL, MLB, and the NBA. If you truly think we have it bad then you need to listen to some of these others.

Hoop
02-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Nice guy, but He gets more annoying with each game, horrible communicator.

I wish Croshere could take over permanently.

Eleazar
02-17-2012, 02:46 AM
He does get annoying at times, but I like him. Really what announcer doesn't get annoying at times?

Heisenberg
02-17-2012, 02:59 AM
He does get annoying at times, but I like him. Really what announcer doesn't get annoying at times?The fact that Quinn does get on my nerves, but even when he does it's more of an "Oh Quinn" and not "Quinn, STFU" says a lot bout him for me. He really is the goofy uncle at the cookout.

mcampbellarch
02-17-2012, 03:09 AM
League pass allows a pretty thorough survey of the other teams commentators. We do have it very good by comparison. Warriors guys are also very good. Quinn is a little scattered but inherently enjoyable. I just wish Denari would stop talking about Twitter.

Day-V
02-17-2012, 03:34 AM
I just wish Denari would stop talking about Twitter.

He might be advised to do so by the Pacers/FSI. And at any rate, I love that Denari communicates with fans through Twitter and brings Pacer-related tweets to the broadcast. Brings an added element to the game.

mcampbellarch
02-17-2012, 04:14 AM
He might be advised to do so by the Pacers/FSI. And at any rate, I love that Denari communicates with fans through Twitter and brings Pacer-related tweets to the broadcast. Brings an added element to the game.I agree - sometimes it just sounds a little forced.

Kemo
02-17-2012, 04:52 AM
League pass allows a pretty thorough survey of the other teams commentators. We do have it very good by comparison. Warriors guys are also very good. Quinn is a little scattered but inherently enjoyable. I just wish Denari would stop talking about Twitter.

LOL Or the backpack attack.... ESPECIALLY since it has been rendered irrelevant due to the player representing it (Hill) not having played or shot a free throw in weeks, thus leaving ABSOLUTELY ZERO CHANCE of the backpack attack giving ANY money out to that charity .. rendering even mentioning it absolutely worthless ..lol

I SMH everytime I hear him mention it.. with that in mind..

The "backpack attack" stuff REALLY got on my nerves in years passed during the "J.O'B. reign of terror"..

Here we were getting a mudhole stomped in our a$$ , Murphy practically holding up a red cape yelling 'ole , the team shooting 40+ 3's shot per game ,crappy rotations, and Denari was more worried about the damn backpack attack while I am already about ready to Hogan Leg my tv set as it was... lol

LOL Some may remember my backpack attack tirades in the gamethreads from the JOB era .. :D:D

Sandman21
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Let's see you do better.:)

Don't knock the color guy until you've tried it yourself.

McKeyFan
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Especially Denari.

Word.

McKeyFan
02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I listened to the New Jersey broadcast last night. Those guys are really good

And pretty fair as well.

oxxo
02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Like others have said... once you get League Pass you realize how good we have it. Our TV/Radio guys are wayyyy better than the majority of the teams out there.

RWB
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Somtimes if you close your eyes and listen to Quinn's laugh you go.... hey that's Fred Flinstone or maybe Barney Rubble.

graphic-er
02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
i just dont like how Quinn is so defensive about the Refs. He will make so many excuses for a ref not making a call. Last night he actually said that Joey Crawford shouldn't bail you out with a foul call even if you have been pushed out of bounds. In reference to the weird play where Granger got his own rebound and handed it to Paul on the base line, then Paul was pushed out by Williams....

Sookie
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM

And pretty fair as well.

Yea, they think the world of PG. I wonder why :laugh:

TheDon
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I really don't think some of you are listening to the same broadcast if you think Quinn thinks things should be called in our favor. I think maybe he's just trying to seem unbiased to such an extreme that maybe he feels like he's being a homer if he says that things should have been called against the other teams. I don't know what it is but it's pretty bad and annoying especially when you're down by 20 or 30 and Quinn still thinks the refs making ridiculous calls are in the right.

CoolHand
02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, I love Quinn. He's hard not to like. I actually plan on going to his appearance at the IMCU in Greenwood Saturday.

I like Quinn a lot. He seems like a great guy. However, with that being said, I really can't stand listening to his commentary.

Sparhawk
02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I like Quinn too.

doctor-h
02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Let's see you do better.:)

Don't knock the color guy until you've tried it yourself.

I am not a color commentator. I am the listener. He is the seller, I am the buyer. I hate listening to him as apparently many others do. I know he is a good person and I like him as a person. I just think he is a terrible commentator just like he was a terrible coach. He rambles on about nonsense way too much and it is annoying.

IndyHoya
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
To each his own, I guess. I like Buckner. I learn things from his commentary. I think he really knows the game both as a player and as a coach.

joeyd
02-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Quinn's job is much more difficult than it seems. Ask yourself if you could talk about your own area of expertise for 2 hours without saying something inappropriate, offensive or downright stupid. And thousands upon thousands of people would hear this!

I like Quinn's insight, enthusaism and heck, every so often, we get a Quinn Bucknerism that is just downright funny. And the thing is, he would probably be laughing with us if he could.

duke dynamite
02-18-2012, 01:51 AM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/20240.jpg

PGisthefuture
02-18-2012, 02:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvRUHhDg-8&feature=fvst
He sounds like the Cookie Monster here.

HC
02-18-2012, 02:09 AM
Can't talk about smothered chicken unless you are also gonna mention the fruit from the tree of penetration.

TheDavisBrothers
02-18-2012, 02:09 AM
And the thing is, he would probably be laughing with us if he could.

... no, he still does :D

Sandman21
02-18-2012, 02:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvRUHhDg-8&feature=fvst
He sounds like the Cookie Monster here.

I see your Cookie Monster Quinn and raise you Quinn speaking in tongues.:laugh:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ti8tDbtEbCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HC
02-18-2012, 02:13 AM
It's like deja vu

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=68285&highlight=quinn+buckner

ksuttonjr76
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM

And pretty fair as well.

I agree. The New Jersey commentors are real good. Then again, I have liked Mike Frattello for some years anyway.

Sherlock
02-18-2012, 01:31 PM
On the other day, I watched the Pacers @ ATL Hawks . I remember the color commenter is Dominique Wilkins, and I forgot the name of the other.

I think Buckner and Denari are a much better combination than they have in Atlanta.

Naptown_Seth
02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Get League Pass and listen to a couple games of other guys. I'm not the biggest Quinn fan, but we've got it GOOD. Especially Denari.
Yeah, I'm not really a QB fan although I think he's been much better this year. Less vague, less homer, better explanations and awareness. I have a big pet peeve for broadcasters who miss what I can see for myself during a game and QB used to have this issue I think, but he's been better lately to me.

I really like Denari's delivery myself, even though originally we were all worried about pitch/timber, etc (well many people were at least).

But Heisenberg (and others) are dead-on when they describe how bad it is for many other teams.

And of course the king of all homerism is any Boston broadcast. Yeesh.