PDA

View Full Version : Original Fieldhouse music/sounds

Scot Pollard
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm at the game and my fiancee and I noticed they're playing the original Fieldhouse sound music/sounds like the race cars and such.

It sure as hell doesn't feel like the early years of the Fieldhouse. Feels more like in 2008. A tiny crowd and we're trying to end a losing streak.

I guess they gave the organist the night off though.

TheDon
02-16-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm at the game and my fiancee and I noticed they're playing the original Fieldhouse sound music/sounds like the race cars and such.

It sure as hell doesn't feel like the early years of the Fieldhouse. Feels more like in 2008. A tiny crowd and we're trying to end a losing streak.

I guess they gave the organist the night off though.

winning! i've been wanting them to bring that back for years :happydanc

Mr_Smith
02-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I miss the "screwed" voice saying defense that they would play. Haven't heard that in a few seasons. Anybody remember that?

LA_Confidential
02-16-2012, 11:28 PM
winning! i've been wanting them to bring that back for years :happydanc

Ditto. The race cars effects really make it feel like we're about to go on a serious run.

Day-V
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I wish we were still able to play the racecars from the mid-90's on defense...

HC
02-17-2012, 01:14 AM

I like the Fieldhouse, but I really miss everything about MSA.

imawhat
02-17-2012, 01:36 AM
I heard the racecars a few games ago. I'm glad they're coming back a bit!

FlavaDave
02-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I miss the "screwed" voice saying defense that they would play. Haven't heard that in a few seasons. Anybody remember that?

That voice would give me nightmares.

Seriously though, it always made me laugh and took me out of the moment. I'm personally glad it's gone.

BRushWithDeath
02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
They've got to keep the race cars.

Doddage
02-17-2012, 06:16 PM
I've never really liked the organ effects, and it got old fairly quickly, so going back to what we had before is a plus for me.

Scot Pollard
02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
I've never really liked the organ effects, and it got old fairly quickly, so going back to what we had before is a plus for me.

Well don't get used to it.

The organ effects are actually being played by an actual organist, who I guess got the night off last night.

I like the organist. I think it's more modern.

The original effects did go hand in hand for our throwback night.

The race cars are a classic though. I wish they'd keep that and play it every few possessions.

Scot Pollard
02-17-2012, 06:36 PM

I remember the deep voice.

Now they play some cheesy recording of a crowd chanting "defense" when the crowds are small to make it seem like the crowd is chanting it and they don't play it when there's big crowds I've noticed.

IndyHoya
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Yeah, I loved those. But didn't the NBA make us quit using them?

Day-V
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I loved those. But didn't the NBA make us quit using them?

Yup, can't use artificial noise on defense. Or at least anything other than some sort of "DE-FENSE!" audio.

Naptown_Seth
02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
I like the Fieldhouse, but I really miss everything about MSA.
...except the concourse, getting in and out of any upper level seats, getting in-out of the garages, the weird box office location, the outside in the freezing cold will call, the orange seats...

I have a lot of fond memories of MSA but it was a pain in the rear in most ways.

One thing I was talking some of the PD core after the game the other night was the lighting. I miss the darkened seats ala MSG. I love when it's game time and the lights go down except for the court, as well as the backdrop to the game it gives visually.

It's nice that people can find their way in and out of seats, etc, but I also like the "the event is beginning" effect of going dark.

In general I'd like every venue to feature more unique sounds and less pre-packaged NBA junk. First of all on the whole the NBA picks some pretty generic, safe crap, and second of all it's just nice to have an identity.

This is why I LOVE the Rocket taking off in Houston, along with the crowd cheer when they sing "Rockets red glare" during the anthem.

I miss the radio broadcast pre-game intro video. The current one isn't too bad, but they really had it nailed with that original version tying past to present.

Race cars are good. It would be fun if they could license/support the IRL and have the runner board (whatever you call the strip board that runs below the upper level) feature an IRL race game instead of dunkin donuts or slot machine winning section.

And the car sounds even if it can't be during the game. Just more of "this is Indy, it's not LA, it's not Miami, it's not NY". I don't need 24/7 Mellencamp, but there are plenty of other things Indy-centric.

Cripes, Dan Patrick had the guys go recreate a Hoosiers scene during the Super Bowl week. We can't get Vogel and 5-6 guys over to Butler to do the same? Why show just the original footage when a recreation like that would be epic. Vogel giving that locker room speech to the current Pacers, the guys going out to measure the rim as a pre-game video? The players going out to Milan in a video?

Naptown_Seth
02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
The race cars are a classic though. I wish they'd keep that and play it every few possessions.
And what I was kinda alluding to would maybe even add in a video effect/graphic of a Pacers IRL car making a pass on the visitors car, something to push the metaphor even farther.

Heck, I'll take a white flag going at the 2 minute mark. Or where's the checkered flag after a win. I mean I won't make Roy drink some milk, but an audio clip of "And he's ON IT" after a big play/dunk...bad a**.

Sandman21
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
We can't get Vogel and 5-6 guys over to Butler to do the same? Why show just the original footage when a recreation like that would be epic. Vogel giving that locker room speech to the current Pacers, the guys going out to measure the rim as a pre-game video? The players going out to Milan in a video?

THIS needs to happen!

danman
02-20-2012, 07:45 AM
...except the concourse, getting in and out of any upper level seats, getting in-out of the garages, the weird box office location, the outside in the freezing cold will call, the orange seats...

I have a lot of fond memories of MSA but it was a pain in the rear in most ways.

One thing I was talking some of the PD core after the game the other night was the lighting. I miss the darkened seats ala MSG. I love when it's game time and the lights go down except for the court, as well as the backdrop to the game it gives visually.

It's nice that people can find their way in and out of seats, etc, but I also like the "the event is beginning" effect of going dark.

In general I'd like every venue to feature more unique sounds and less pre-packaged NBA junk. First of all on the whole the NBA picks some pretty generic, safe crap, and second of all it's just nice to have an identity.

This is why I LOVE the Rocket taking off in Houston, along with the crowd cheer when they sing "Rockets red glare" during the anthem.

I miss the radio broadcast pre-game intro video. The current one isn't too bad, but they really had it nailed with that original version tying past to present.

Race cars are good. It would be fun if they could license/support the IRL and have the runner board (whatever you call the strip board that runs below the upper level) feature an IRL race game instead of dunkin donuts or slot machine winning section.

And the car sounds even if it can't be during the game. Just more of "this is Indy, it's not LA, it's not Miami, it's not NY". I don't need 24/7 Mellencamp, but there are plenty of other things Indy-centric.

Cripes, Dan Patrick had the guys go recreate a Hoosiers scene during the Super Bowl week. We can't get Vogel and 5-6 guys over to Butler to do the same? Why show just the original footage when a recreation like that would be epic. Vogel giving that locker room speech to the current Pacers, the guys going out to measure the rim as a pre-game video? The players going out to Milan in a video?

Testify. That MSA concourse can stay down in Hell.

Love the Fieldhouse design on the inside. Fewer sardine situations, and the history nods are terrific.

duke dynamite
02-20-2012, 09:04 AM
I remember the slogan for the Fieldhouse when it first opened, "Remember the Past, Experience the Future".

Taking from this conversation I can remember a lot of the bad things about MSA, most of which Seth had mentioned, but the sounds and smells, cramped atmosphere of MSA made it a little unique.

However, there is always a place for tradition and it seems like a lot of those traditions have slowly faded away with a new generation of fans and event workers. Such as the "Homerun!" call with Reb after hitting a three. The IndyCar sounds. (I have yet to hear this lately. Not sure why I haven't.)

They did bring back the "In 49 states..." slogan this year, which is good. That was always fun. It kind of went away in advertisements over the past few years.

We do have one more tradition that is slowly fading away... Slick. His Boom Baby! call will soon be put to rest once he turns his microphone off for the last time.

I guess my point is that while we reminisce about the cool aesthetic things of the past, we need to leave room and accept the changes that time brings along. Whether its the State Fairgrounds Organist that has been in there the past few years, the LED board runners, Pep Band/Drumline, Bankers Life moniker, etc. The list goes on.

These are all things our children will hopefully talk about when they get older. They'll miss how Michael Grady isn't calling a three a "Trifecta!" and how Mark Boyle isn't on the radio being a false curmudgeon.

As much as we want the things of our youth back sadly at most we will only get a shell of what it once was, but at least I have those memories. The heyday. It doesn't get any better than that.

MTM
02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
That voice would give me nightmares.

Seriously though, it always made me laugh and took me out of the moment. I'm personally glad it's gone.

Is that the voice that would say, in a robotic voice, "DEE - FENSE" ... ... "DEE - FENSE" ... ...?

My oldest son is Ethan, and sometimes when I want to get his attention I will mimic the robotic voice and call out "E - THAN" ... ... "E- THAN" ... ...

Bird Fan
02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
These are all things our children will hopefully talk about when they get older. They'll miss how Michael Grady isn't calling a three a "Trifecta!" and how Mark Boyle isn't on the radio being a false curmudgeon.

I can't stand that Trifecta, or the pauses that are used when saying Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert. Also how Darren is constantly called DC.

Not complaining too much, it's not something that I will hang my head about, just a few annoyances.

Day-V
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
I can't stand that Trifecta, or the pauses that are used when saying Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert. Also how Darren is constantly called DC.

Not complaining too much, it's not something that I will hang my head about, just a few annoyances.

It might be blasphemous, but I love the change from Reb to Grady. I think Grady's doing a much better job than Reb in his last few seasons.

duke dynamite
02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
It might be blasphemous, but I love the change from Reb to Grady. I think Grady's doing a much better job than Reb in his last few seasons.
Because during his last couple of seasons too many people (a lot on here) complained about his calls. He was forced to change what he did for 42 years. I'd have trouble, too.

Hicks
02-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I like(d) them both.