PDA

View Full Version : The Pacers can't let this happen (Heat hope to land Kaman)

Pacerized
02-16-2012, 11:16 AM
As long as Bird would put up a standing offer to absorb Kaman's contract, I'm sure that would be preferable to Stern over buying him out with the leagues money. Bird can't stand buy to let Heat get stronger if we had the chance to get better while giving up almost nothing.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Miami-Heat-Chris-Kaman-Minnesota-Timberwolves-Pau-Gasol-Los-Angeles-Lakers-trade-021512
Source: Heat hoping to land Kaman

It wonít be easy for that to happen. But the Heat are trying.

Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
The thinking is the Heatís best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman ó if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline.
The Hornets (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/team/new-orleans-hornets/71077) recently sent Kaman away from the team for seven games in an effort to trade him. When that was unsuccessful, he was brought back.
Now, apparently, the belief is that the 7-foot Kaman, who is making $14 million in the final year of his contract, could be bought out if the Hornets end up failing to get a deal they want for him. Kaman, acquired from the Los Angeles Clippers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/team/los-angeles-clippers/71086) last December in the trade for Chris Paul (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player/chris-paul/339139), has played in three of the Hornetsí past four games. He totaled 27 points and 13 rebounds Monday in an 86-80 win over Utah.
In other news involving NBA big men, a source said Wednesday that Minnesota continues to pursue a possible trade for Lakers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/team/los-angeles-lakers/71087) forward Pau Gasol (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player/pau-gasol/71502), dangling rookie Derrick Williams, who is from the Los Angeles area, and draft choices. The only players considered untouchable by the Timberwolves (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/team/minnesota-timberwolves/71090), who are seeking to add a veteran by the trade deadline, are Kevin Love (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player/kevin-love/551531) and Ricky Rubio. The Timberwolves believe it could be enticing for Gasol to play on the same team as fellow Spaniard Rubio.
As recently as two years ago, Kaman had joined Gasol in the NBA All-Star Game. That was during a season in which Kaman averaged a career-high 18.5 points and 9.3 rebounds.
Kaman slipped to 12.4 points and 7.0 rebounds last season while playing just 32 games because of injuries. Heís averaging 10.5 and 7.4 in 20 games this season.
But Kaman is said to be just what the Heat, who start undersized Joel Anthony (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player/joel-anthony/465069) at center, need. The Heat cannot talk directly with Kaman because that would constitute tampering
ďIf they could get him, that would solidify the championship,íí said the source who spoke about Miamiís interest in Kaman. The source believes there is no realistic chance the Heat could trade for Kaman by March 15 because they donít have the right pieces.Tony Parker is biting at the heels of our other top 10 MVP candidates (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/NBA-Top-10-MVP-candidates-020812).
In order to carve out a roster spot by getting one under the maximum of 15 players, the Heat on Feb. 7 waived rookie center Mickell Gladness (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player/mickell-gladness/1060182) just before contracts were to become guaranteed for the season. But Gladness was brought back on a 10-day contract Sunday, indicating the Heat remain uncertain what they might do with that final roster spot.
The Heat have looked at 7-1 free-agent center Joel Przybilla (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player/joel-przybilla/71301), who finished last season with Charlotte (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/team/charlotte-bobcats/71951) and has been battling knee injuries for several years. For now, Przybilla has been said to still not be fully healthy, and some teams have backed off. Chicago also has been looking at Przybilla.
Acquiring Kaman on a minimum deal would be the ultimate coup for the Heat. But there are plenty of issues that would have to be worked out.
The Hornets obviously would like to get some pieces for him. Even if he becomes a free agent next summer, the Hornets still could have the option of dealing him in a sign-and-trade to a team under the luxury-tax threshold and getting something in return. And since the Hornets are owned by the NBA, there would be plenty of barking around the league if Kaman were bought out and then joined the Heat.We rank all 30 NBA teams from the best to the worst (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/powerRankings).
Of course, it could come down to what a buyout number might be. Guard Mike Bibby gave up a $6.2 million contract for this season last February to be let go by Washington and have the chance to join the Heat.
If Kaman canít be traded, he would have to decide if heís willing to give up his Bird free-agent rights. Those would be lost if heís bought out, and that could cost him some money next summer in free agency.
Of course, the opportunity to win a championship could be more important to Kaman than taking a salary hit. The source also didnít rule out Kaman considering the Heat, even for lesser money, if he doesnít become a free agent until next summer.

Heisenberg
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
There's absolutely no reason for them to buy him out when we'll take him w/o any salary going back, and that's w/o even considering them being NBA owned. Good luck Miami. Imagine the stink Cuban'd raise.

vnzla81
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeah the league is not that stupid to cut Kaman so he can go to Miami, I'm not worry about it.

And also if they wanted to cut Kaman the best way to save money is to send him here so they don't have to pay him anything, by cutting him they would have to pay part of his salary not matter what.

Major Cold
02-16-2012, 11:35 AM
The Heat do not need Kaman to solidify a ring. They need to play like they are now in the playoffs.

CableKC
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Technically, if you read the article....this is based on the assumption that if Kaman is bought out...that ANY Team...not only the Heat...will have the chance of signing Kaman to a short deal. Of course, the Heat have the leg up when it comes to having the best chance to win a Champioinship....but as Heisenberg suggested....no Team Owner not living in Miami...would allow for Kaman to be bought out.

Why buy out a Player ( since he'd be paid...one way or another ) while giving him the chance to go to one of the SuperTeams?

If the Hornets were WAY over the LT...then I can see it happening, just to avoid paying the LT.....but they aren't...so there is no real benefit to buying Kaman out. Even if the Hornets decided to not buy him out, let him sit at home for the next 3 months and Kaman and his Agent gets upset...what's he going to do? Get p*ssed off and not sign with the Hornets next season?

Either way, I don't see this as any real reason to buy him out....makes little sense. For the 20 or so other Billionaires ( that don't own a SuperTeam or belong in a huge Market ) that are part Owners of the Hornets....if I were them...I'd just eat the $14 mil ( which is chump change when split among the the Billionaire Owners ) he's owed rather then gift wrap Kaman to one of the Big Market or Super Teams.

Sparhawk
02-16-2012, 11:37 AM
That would be total ****.

I thought the new CBA had a new rule about this. Don't the bottom feeder teams get first dibs?

Pacers could really use this guy.

Sparhawk
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
If the Hornets want to get rid of him so badly, send over 2 second round picks for the guy. That's how Kahn got Beasley.

Pacerized
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM

I thought the new CBA had a new rule about this. Don't the bottom feeder teams get first dibs?

That rule only applied to players waived via amnesty. They should have made it apply to any player bought out.

JB24
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Even if he is cut, the Pacers can still greatly outbid the Heat.

Obviously, it assumes that he'll follow the money and not the ring.

90'sNBARocked
02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
I personally dont want us to spend our entire 14M on Kaman, even if it is a rental

We need a PG/SG much more than a center

Major Cold
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
If the Hornets want to get rid of him so badly, send over 2 second round picks for the guy. That's how Kahn got Beasley.

The Heat wanted to dump salary to get the three headed doucemonster. I don't see the Hornets trying to pull that off. They want more or it would have already been done by 5-8 teams.

Heisenberg
02-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Obviously, it assumes that he'll follow the money and not the ring.Ya never know I guess, but Kaman really does strike me as a lot more of a central Indiana guy than a South Beach guy.

Sparhawk
02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I personally dont want us to spend our entire 14M on Kaman, even if it is a rental

We need a PG?SG much more than a center

Point guard, preferably a starting point should be our top need (but probably not something we can get this year). I think Lance will grow into the backup SG (I mean, he did hit a 3 yesterday!), but a backup shooting guard is something we need since we can't wait for Lance.

Backup C is still an issue with Foster's back. I'm not a fan of Lou.

Pacerized
02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
The Heat wanted to dump salary to get the three headed doucemonster. I don't see the Hornets trying to pull that off. They want more or it would have already been done by 5-8 teams.

I think we're the only team that's able to do that. No other team has the cap space.
They do want more for Kaman but even if they get a better offer any other team will have to send back salary for what's likely a bad contract. In the end I'm hoping our ability to absorb Kamans contract is their best offer.

CableKC
02-16-2012, 01:15 PM

I know that we need him.....maybe it's the night of heavy drinking ( j/k ), the utter sense of hopelessness or realization that the Basketball gods just hate Pacers fans.... but my gut feeling is that Kaman isn't coming here.

Aw Heck
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I think the Pacers' best role in a Kaman trade would be as a third team facilitator.

So New Orleans would send Kaman to one team and that team would send assets to the Pacers. The Pacers and/or the other team sends picks to NO. New Orleans still gets the cap space they want and a pick to make it worth their while (as opposed to getting the capspace by just letting Kaman expire).

flox
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I would think overlord Stern, after blocking that CP3 deal, would never allow Kaman to go to a "big market team".

skyfire
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Obviously, it assumes that he'll follow the money and not the ring.

We could offer more money but it wouldn't matter. Kaman if he is cut only gets the 14mil on his contract, we would just be saving the hornets money as compared to if he signed with the heat. So if he was cut he'd likely sign with the team most likely to showcase his skills or be in a position to win a title, ie. The heat.

But I agree with everyone else, it makes no sense for stern to let them buy him out

CableKC
02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I think the Pacers' best role in a Kaman trade would be as a third team facilitator.

So New Orleans would send Kaman to one team and that team would send assets to the Pacers. The Pacers and/or the other team sends picks to NO. New Orleans still gets the cap space they want and a pick to make it worth their while (as opposed to getting the capspace by just letting Kaman expire).
If we were to go with the safe route....I'd be happy with getting Jordan Hill, a 2nd round pick and Courtney Lee ( both are Expiring where they would be RFAs ) while sending Kaman to the Rockets.

If we really want to get risky...see if Kevin Martin ( 2 years owed $24 mil / ~$12 mil a year ) and Jordan Hill could be had for Kaman while sending back a Pacer's 1st to NOLA. Kevin Martin's a great scorer, shooter, get's to the line and has been in McHale's doghouse as of late ( maybe he could be had? )......but his defense is worst then Murphy's. :shrug: .

Major Cold
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
I think we're the only team that's able to do that. No other team has the cap space.
They do want more for Kaman but even if they get a better offer any other team will have to send back salary for what's likely a bad contract. In the end I'm hoping our ability to absorb Kamans contract is their best offer.

They are already paying him. And if we get him and send no money back they would save 8 million. And if we don't sign anyone we send the league 2.7 million. So I really do not think it is about saving money. He is off the books this year. And I have news for you, no one is going to buy this team this year. If they do it will be at the end of the season.

And if they do buy this team, have Kaman on the books is not going to detract them more than...lets say....being in New Orleans.

Ratking
02-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Ya never know I guess, but Kaman really does strike me as a lot more of a central Indiana guy than a South Beach guy.

you cant hunt deer in South Beach.

spazzxb
02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I would think overlord Stern, after blocking that CP3 deal, would never allow Kaman to go to a "big market team".

You know the Clippers are in LA right, that market is about the size of LA.

Lance George
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm a bit torn on Kaman. On one hand, our embarrassing slump makes it clear that we're not as good as it once appeared, and bringing in a talent like Kaman would be a huge boost.

On the other, the fact that we continue to stink it up means our 1st round pick continues to increase in value, making it even more difficult to give up for someone who will likely be a half-a-season rental.

At this point, I'd almost rather give up Tyler than our pick.

Pacerized
02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm a bit torn on Kaman. On one hand, our embarrassing slump makes it clear that we're not as good as it once appeared, and bringing in a talent like Kaman would be a huge boost.

On the other, the fact that we continue to stink it up means our 1st round pick continues to increase in value, making it even more difficult to give up for someone who will likely be a half-a-season rental.

At this point, I'd almost rather give up Tyler than our pick.

I simply wouldn't give up the pick for any player that was only under contract until the end of this season. The 2 that might be available right now are Nash and Kaman but I don't see any reason in doing that when both players can be had for nothing this summer. If it it means we lose more games this year I'd rather live with that. We'd be stronger next year with our pick and Kaman after we sign him as a free agent.

rock747
02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
You want people to think the NBA is rigged, David? Trade Kaman to the heat....

CableKC
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, he's back on the market....like he ever was off the market.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/02/new_orleans_hornets_center_kam.html

Since center Chris Kaman’s reemergence in the Hornets’ starting lineup, trade inquires are picking up from teams interested in acquiring the eight-year veteran, league sources said Thursday.

Chris Kaman, right, has had a double-double in the past two games: 27 points and 13 rebounds against Utah on Monday, and 18 and 10 against Milwaukee on Tuesday, both victories for the Hornets. The Hornets took Kaman off the trade market Feb. 3 and allowed him to rejoin the team after they were not able to obtain what they were seeking in a deal. New Orleans wants young talent and expiring contracts.

With the March 15 trade deadline looming, however, sources say the Hornets are again open to trading Kaman, 7 feet, 265 pounds, if they can find an attractive deal.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future or what’s going to happen in the next five days,’’ Kaman said. “I don’t know if there will be a trade or won’t be one. I just play and try not to worry about it, but it does stress me out a little bit. I go home at night and have some rough nights sleeping once in awhile thinking about it, but it’s out of my control. “I think I’ve shown for eight years what I’m capable of doing.’’

Kaman is averaging 10.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game.

Foxsports.com reported Thursday that Miami is among the teams interested in acquiring Kaman. But league sources said the Heat has not approached the Hornets.

The Hornets deactivated Kaman last month when they actively sought to trade him, and held him out for six games.

“Every day that I was away from the team, I was working out at the Alario Center,’’ Kaman said. “I had Eric Gordon’s workout guy helping me out, and I was working out with another buddy of mine from Houston. I was just trying to get myself in better shape, because I came in this season not in shape.’’
Kaman has had a double-double in the past two games: 27 points and 13 rebounds against Utah on Monday, and 18 and 10 against Milwaukee on Tuesday, both victories.

Kaman, who will be 30 in April, was acquired with Gordon, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and the Minnesota Timberwolves’ 2012 first-round pick from the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for All-Star point guard Chris Paul.

A 2010 All-Star, Kaman is scheduled to make $14 million (which is prorated for
the lockout-shortened 66-game schedule) this season, the final year of his contract.
If the Hornets/NBA has backed off of their preference to not take on ANY salary ( even if it's Expiring ), then this could eliminate the Pacers from the equation. But I'm still guessing that the Pacers can get involved somehow....as many have suggested...as a 3rd party.

As a rental that doesn't cost too much ( as in anything more than a 2nd round pick ), I'm okay with having him for the rest of the season. But at the cost of a 1st round pick...I'd pass. I'd rather be involved as the "Trois" in this "Menage".

xIndyFan
02-17-2012, 05:37 PM
As long as Bird would put up a standing offer to absorb Kaman's contract, I'm sure that would be preferable to Stern over buying him out with the leagues money. Bird can't stand buy to let Heat get stronger if we had the chance to get better while giving up almost nothing.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Miami-Heat-Chris-Kaman-Minnesota-Timberwolves-Pau-Gasol-Los-Angeles-Lakers-trade-021512
Source: Heat hoping to land Kaman

It wonít be easy for that to happen. But the Heat are trying.

Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
The thinking is the Heatís best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman ó if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline. . .

please correct me if i am in error.

but i don't think the pacers have to worry about this. doesn't kaman have to go through waivers as part of the 'cut' process. at that point, the pacers can claim him [and his salary cap number], thus preventing the heat from getting him. iirc, the pacers are the only team that can do this as they can absorb kaman cap number.

Pacerized
02-17-2012, 08:00 PM

but i don't think the pacers have to worry about this. doesn't kaman have to go through waivers as part of the 'cut' process. at that point, the pacers can claim him [and his salary cap number], thus preventing the heat from getting him. iirc, the pacers are the only team that can do this as they can absorb kaman cap number.

Actually, I think you're right and good point.
In the event he is bought out we could, and should do that.
I'd still rather see the Pacers put that offer on the table up front. N.O. might not be tempted by another offer of a 1st. and a bad contract if they knew they could save his entire salary.

Pacer Fan
02-17-2012, 10:05 PM

You are correct!
It's a 48 hour waiver wire, if not claimed within that 48 hours then player can go where they want.

The Sleeze
02-17-2012, 10:09 PM

That only applies if a player is Amnestied. Kaman's contract would be bought out, so anyone could sign him.

Pacerized
02-17-2012, 11:48 PM
That only applies if a player is Amnestied. Kaman's contract would be bought out, so anyone could sign him.

I think any player that's waived has to clear waivers before he can choose his own team. It gives teams under the cap a chance to pick up a player if they want to take on his salary. If Kaman is bought out for slightly less then his contract it would be so they could then waive him. I don't know what happens if more then 1 team is willing to take on a players salary. It almost never happens that a player is picked up in this manner but I think it might in Kamans case. I think the Pacers are the only team that could do it.