PDA

View Full Version : On a lighter note...

rabid
11-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Jonathan Bender will miss Friday's game because he came down with a viral infection.

:laugh: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'm sorry but stick a fork in this guy, he's done. He has great talent, and I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his body is just not healthy/solid enough to be an NBA player. He's cursed or something. (No offense Jon). ;)

RA231
11-11-2004, 11:28 PM
wow. That is amazing. And I thought I felt bad for Grant Hill.

sweabs
11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Just think: in 10 years we'll look back at this beginning of our season and laugh...right? Right??? :(

Kegboy
11-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Uh, where have you been. He missed Wednesday's game because of a viral infection. Last I heard, he was day-to-day for Friday.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

RA231
11-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe....:rolleyes:

rabid
11-11-2004, 11:37 PM
"Jonathan Bender was scheduled to return to action but came down with a viral infection."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_041112.html

From the Philly game preview. I didn't catch that Jon missed Wednesday's game, as I missed most of the first half; sorry. :sadbanana:

But still, it is pretty funny, in a sick kind of way... :laugh:

Kstat
11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Cant wait to hear BENDERMVP's take on this subject.....

sweabs
11-11-2004, 11:49 PM

I imagine it will be along the lines of:

GUYS THIS IS BENDER'S BREAK OUT YEAR. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT. JUST WAIT - YOU'LL SEE...HE IS FOR REAL. BENDER HAS A BODY LIKE KG...HE HAS A SWEET JUMPER - HE JUST NEEDS PLAYING TIME. ONCE HE IS HEALTHY JUST WAIT. DON'T TRADE BENDER. YOU GUYS THINK WE CAN WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT HIM YOU ARE KIDDING.

Anthem
11-12-2004, 12:42 AM
:laugh:

Hicks
11-12-2004, 07:21 AM
I thinking blaming him for catching a virus is just silly.

Suaveness
11-12-2004, 09:00 AM
But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a weak body. He always seems to be hurt, and he's just never playing.

Slick Pinkham
11-12-2004, 09:08 AM

:laugh:

He'll start 10 fifferent threads all saying the exact same thing. Then his mom will tell him his oatmeal is ready.

grace
11-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I'll be the Bender apologist and blame his illness on the fact that there aren't enough flu shots to go around.:o

TheSauceMaster
11-12-2004, 02:21 PM
I'll be the Bender apologist and blame his illness on the fact that there aren't enough flu shots to go around.:o

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

McKeyFan
11-12-2004, 02:41 PM

From one angle, yes.

But...haven't you ever met people who tend to be sick alot, and others who tend to just ignore it and move on? I tend to believe that certain levels of hypochondria are a choice. Also, many people just choose to work through sickness.

Haven't you ever felt sickness coming on, but had a big, big project going on, and when you were finally done, your body collapsed when you finally gave it permission to get sick?

So...yes. From one perspective you can't blame someone for getting a virus. But, if you believe that some people choose to have a disposition toward illness, well, maybe there is a little blame to go around.

RSmits
11-12-2004, 02:49 PM
It's amazing what you can do when you actually read something in context, for meaning. From the Philly/Pacers preview:

"The Pacers can use every available healthy body. The injured list is full and so are the trainer's tables. Jermaine O'Neal left Wednesday night's game in the third quarter after tweaking the foot injury that kept him out most of the preseason. Scot Pollard sat out that game with a sore lower back. Jonathan Bender was scheduled to return to action but came down with a viral infection."

"Jonathon Bender was" is past tense, and modifies "Wednesday night's game" as set forth earlier in the paragraph. Accordingly, it says nothing about Bender's status for tonight's game, which is in the future.

Looking further down the article, you will see that he is listed as "questionable" for tonight's game."

Hicks
11-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I get the idea of someone who always seems to get sick vs someone who can usually shrug it off (I'm someone who rarely gets sick enough to not be able to go to school), but everyone is acting like JB gets sick as often as he gets hurt, or is simply lumping the two together. He's gotten hurt a lot, he doesn't get sick a lot. But now that he's sick, some are acting like he does that a lot too.

MarionDeputy
11-12-2004, 04:47 PM

I had never been hospitalized a day in 29 years until a few months ago I caught viral menegitis. Was in Methodist for 3 days! Not saying that Jon has something this serious but you feel pretty stupid catching something like that because there is nothing you can do to prevent it. I really hope Bender can put this all behind him, if he ever gets some legit minutes, I think all the speculation about his talent will shine bright!!

Hicks
11-12-2004, 04:51 PM
I hope so.