PDA

View Full Version : J.R. Smith: Lakers, Clippers, or Pacers

holick
02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
The regular season of CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) is about to end, and J.R. Smith is planning to head back to the US right after his last CBA game today.

In an interview with Sports Weekly, the leading sports newspaper in China, J.R. Smith said he prefers Lakers, Clippers or Pacers, when asked about his options in his return to the NBA.

He also said serveral NBA teams have reached him. It was said that the Knicks was the front runner.

J.R. Smith is averaging 34.7p + 7.3r + 4.2a in 37 mins this season. He made 4.1 threes per game at 46.6%.

FYI.:

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
He's averaging 35 PPG?????

Hicks
02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Love his talent, but he'd have fit right in with our more dubious roster circa 2006, and I'd be shocked if we went after him.

J7F
02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
The regular season of CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) is about to end, and J.R. Smith is planning to head back to the US right after his last CBA game today.

In an interview with Sports Weekly, the leading sports newspaper in China, J.R. Smith said he prefers Lakers, Clippers or Pacers, when asked about his options in his return to the NBA.

He also said serveral NBA teams have reached him. It was said that the Knicks was the front runner.

J.R. Smith is averaging 34.7p + 7.3r + 4.2a in 37 mins this season. He made 4.1 threes per game at 46.6%.

FYI.:

I know he seems to be a bit of a head case... But his past teammates seem to like him and we could really use his scoring touch off the bench...

I would prefer to pick up Wilson Chandler but I have a feeling that he will go back to Denver...

Sparhawk
02-13-2012, 11:15 AM
4 out of the last 5 years he's shot 39% or higher on 3s. That's pretty good.

Could we sign him and turn around and trade him by the deadline? lol that would be funny.

imbtyler
02-13-2012, 11:16 AM
I know he seems to be a bit of a head case... But his past teammates seem to like him and we could really use his scoring touch off the bench...

I would prefer to pick up Wilson Chandler but I have a feeling that he will go back to Denver...

I would be content with either Smith or Chandler. They both provide scoring and athleticism. And despite Smith's attitude, he could be that player we really need to hit shots and create for himself. Either of them could be valuable on the team.

Pacers13Colts12
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Depends on the contract, if we could get him for cheap, or on a short deal like we wanted with Jamal Crawford, I say go for it. We need a scorer.

BRushWithDeath
02-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Bonzi Wells' first two games in the Chinese Basketball Association:

48 points, 11 rebounds, 7 steals
52 points, 14 rebounds

He averaged 34 in his 14 games before leaving the country.

Bonzi Wells. Not exactly the best competition.

J.R. Smith is leading the league at 34.5 but he's not the only American putting up video game stats.

Lester Hudson who has appeared in 36 career NBA games for 3 teams is averaging 33.6.

Marcus Williams, who played on the Pacers summer league team a few seasons ago, is averaging 31.9.

D-Leaguer Charles Gaines is getting 29.0.

However, he is the only player whose sister and girlfriend started a brawl in the stands on two seperate occassions in a matter of weeks as far as I know.

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Heh, so I take it the CBA doesn't quite fall within the lines of the normal international competition?

pacergod2
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
He fits our biggest need. A scoring guard, who you know, can score.

I think it would be a terrific idea to bring him back for the rest of this year and see how it works. I wouldn't go looking to sign him long-term, but the kid brings exactly what we need, another long-range shooter to spread the floor and a guy who can get to the rim. His ability to penetrate would do wonders for us, I think. He seems to be a pretty good teammate, but is an emotional guy. I would love to add Chandler more because I think he is a more mature person in the way he plays the game, but Smith fits what we need much better.

vnzla81
02-13-2012, 11:30 AM
:link:

PGisthefuture
02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
I didn't even think we were involved in the J.R. Smith talks. If it is true I think we have a good shot because we can offer the most money. I think we could get him for the same contract we offered Jamal Crawford at 2 years for $5 Mil a year, which isn't bad. Smith is probably as good a scorer as Crawford. It might not be hard to score in the Chinese league, but Smith has proven he can score in the NBA. I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high, but Smith is exactly what we need. My only concern is that he and Lance become good pals and cause trouble off the court.

PGisthefuture
02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
:link:

Yeah I would like to see some evidence too...

holick
02-13-2012, 11:42 AM

52 points, 14 rebounds

J.R. Smith is leading the league at 34.5 but he's not the only American putting up video game stats.

Lester Hudson who has appeared in 36 career NBA games for 3 teams is averaging 33.6.

Marcus Williams, who played on the Pacers summer league team a few seasons ago, is averaging 31.9.

D-Leaguer Charles Gaines is getting 29.0.

However, he is the only player whose sister and girlfriend started a brawl in the stands on two seperate occassions in a matter of weeks as far as I know.

You know more about J.R Smith than me. Being in China, I have never watched a game of his here, but I only heard of the brawl by his sister and girlfriend.

As a player, Pacers need him. As a person, probably not. Maybe he has a pure heart as Artest/SJAX, but we never know what would happen to him the next minute.

BTW, do u mind his sister or girl friend sitting in the Fieldhouse?
They will threw a cup into the court like John Green/Charlie Haddad if JR Smith got fouled hard.
http://sports.eastday.com/s/20120112/images/01997690.jpg

Sparhawk
02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
He'll go to the Clips. With Chauncy out of the picture now, he'll get a lot of playing time there.

Derek2k3
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm looking for a link, but I thought Mike Wells had written that the Pacers are not interested in JR. I understand why not, as he is potentially trouble, but that scoring would sure help.

imbtyler
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
He'll go to the Clips. With Chauncy out of the picture now, he'll get a lot of playing time there.

With that said, Clippers will be in it to win it this year. A line-up of CP3/Smith/Butler/Griffin/Jordan is insane. I see an LAC/OKC Western Conference Finals.

Clippers are more of a superteam than the Heat and Knicks at this point.

holick
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah I would like to see some evidence too...

Sorry, the origional source is not in English. I want to chase the source as well.

http://news.hoopchina.com/201202/73847.html

I don't 100% believe in the Chinese paper, and I never believe in what J.R. Smith says, even he did say it.

Simply because J.R. Smith just does not fit Jim Morris and Larry Bird's strategy.

MyFavMartin
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
He would fit a Jamal-Crawford type role very well and would be low-risk, high-reward move for the playoffs and a short contract will allow him to be motivated to be on his best behavior and his role here would be as a featured scorer...

pacergod2
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
You have to remember that we are the token "They have the most cap space, so they will definitely get mentioned for when my agent calls and looks for money, you will have to pony up" team.

2minutes twoa
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Just using us to drive up his price I would imagine.

DGPR
02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I would go for it if the price were right, we can use the bench scoring for sure.

yoadknux
02-13-2012, 12:14 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Peck
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
He would fit a Jamal-Crawford type role very well and would be low-risk, high-reward move for the playoffs and a short contract will allow him to be motivated to be on his best behavior and his role here would be as a featured scorer...

I don't know if I would agree with that assesment.

Team unity is at risk, any player playing for a selfish agenda could easily cut that off.

Also this is a known malcontent. Do we want to introduce that into this young locker room?

As to his talent, yes he can shoot. But that really is about it. His defense as I remember was middling at best and if I recall correctly he would pass what we like to call Reggie Theus passes. You know pass to a player who is either pinned in the corner of in double coverage so they have to pass the ball back to you.

IF & I mean a giant IF the team is to make any moves at all and they are just looking to add scoring and nothing else then if there are any truths at all to the rumors that Brooks from N.J. can be had for either a pick or cap space that would be the way to go, not J.R. Smith.

ejwallace
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
http://fullcourtpumps.com/tag/jr-smith-girlfriend/

MillerTime
02-13-2012, 12:43 PM
is it me or does it seem like we're rumored with every single player out there

BRushWithDeath
02-13-2012, 12:50 PM
is it me or does it seem like we're rumored with every single player out there

When you have the cap space, you will be. Most will be entirely unfounded.

The Sleeze
02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Here is a short article from SLAM magazine talking about Chris Paul recruiting him to play for the Clippers and what some teams can offer him. Doesn't mention the Pacers. We are mentioned in another article as a "possible landing spot", but that is status quo with every FA.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/02/report-chris-paul-recruiting-jr-smith-to-the-clippers/

The Knicks are the presumed favorite to land Smith because they can offer him both a large role on the team, and their pro-rated $2.5 million mini mid-level exception. Exceptions are only pro-rated after Feb. 10, so Smith wouldn’t be losing much. Most of the other teams reportedly interested in him, like the Lakers or Clippers, can only offer him a veteran minimum contract, which would be pro-rated from the beginning of the season.”

90'sNBARocked
02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
If only we could have him as a rental for this year

I know from a charcture standpoint he is a risk but after watching our bench have no real go to player

I would take a swing. I mean were talking about a SG with playoff experience, one who can light it up when hot

At this point, if we can't swing a better trade, and JR was willing to come here AND stay in check, then I would do it

CableKC
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Could we sign him and turn around and trade him by the deadline? lol that would be funny.
Make an offer for just the rest of this season...nothing more....problem solved. My guess is that he'll ( just like JCraw ) want to look to a FA market that has more Teams that want to spend money.

CableKC
02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
This is the Chinese Basketball League that we are talking about.

5_7_Clash
02-13-2012, 01:01 PM
You always hope a guy with that kind of talent will grow and mature especially when he's being talked about in connection with your team. But, IMHO, that kind of change takes a lot of work and upkeep and at their core, people rarely change that much. An exception might be a significant experience that takes you way outside the norms and boundaries of your life. Perhaps China was a bit like that for Smith. If so, I think a pick-up like Smith with a new perspective/attitude could be (to quote someone from another thread) our Rasheed. However, we can't know this kind of thing about Smith. So, if I'm Larry Bird, do I roll the dice and go after him or bide my time to get the right piece without the issues? I think watching this team over the last few years, we all know the answer to that.

This is from August '10 (and bleacherreport.com) but I think it highlights the whole JR Smith "thing" pretty well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/444223-nba-denvers-jr-smith-being-investigated-on-charges-of-assault

EDIT: The article is actually from Rip City Report but the link to their article page is dead.

PGisthefuture
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM

I know from a charcture standpoint he is a risk but after watching our bench have no real go to player

I would take a swing. I mean were talking about a SG with playoff experience, one who can light it up when hot

At this point, if we can't swing a better trade, and JR was willing to come here AND stay in check, then I would do it

That's the way I feel. Also, the only guy with even close to a similar reputation to Smith on this team is Lance and he is really trying his best to turn his life around. The year we had the brawl we had several guys that had bad things going on off-court. This team is full of good guys and we have Jeff Foster and David West which guys in the locker room respect and model after. If Larry and Frank have a sit down talk with Smith about how we are running things around here and tell him they want no nonsense and Smith agrees, I don't see why we shouldn't give it a run. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would like to see Stephenson, Hill, and Smith coming off our bench... that could be nice. I don't know, I'm kinda iffy about his reputation, but we need a guy like him.

Pacers13Colts12
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Here is the article translated:

Zhejiang Taurus swingman JR Smith ( JR Smith ), in an interview for their own return to the NBA , will choose to join which team, Smith said he was inclined to go to the Lakers , Clippers and walkers . >>> Concern on the 14th, the Mavericks at home against the Clippers, Mavericks main to 3.5, the default score 189.5 points, it is recommended Clippers Win, Oita. Concerned about more tiger flutter basket color Handicap
The end of my season, now his family is important, I am anxious to go home to my family and where teams would now have no news, I tend to go to the Lakers, Clippers and Indiana. Regardless of where I am, my new goal is to win the championship. "
JR Smith was said to have only NBA team and his previously reported, said New York Knicks in a leading position in the battle of JR-Smith.
February 15, Zhejiang Taurus at home against Liaoning Jaguar. JR Smith will Zhejiang team so after the game, then returned to the United States. As of 33 this season, JR Smith on behalf of the Zhejiang Taurus played 31 games, averaging 37 minutes, 34.7 points and 7.3 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.5 steals, manufacturing opponent foul 9.5 times half ball 7.5-14.5, 51.5% of the hit rate, one-third 4.1-8.9 ball hit rate is 46.6 percent free throw 7.5-9.8, the hit rate of 76.2%.

http://news.hoopchina.com/201202/73847.html

ksuttonjr76
02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
At this moment in time, we NEED a REAL scorer and shot creator off the bench. I'm all in. Without George Hill, our second unit is VERY suspect.

Pacer Fan
02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
We don't know what other options Larry has for trades, but a 1/2 season rental at 4 mil should be an option. The best he will do with the other teams is the mini and vet. Not even close to what Pacers could offer.

I think I'd rather have Kaman, so we could have a steady dose for 48 minutes. Prolly can't have both Kaman and Smith, to much money.

Hill comes back and Paul gets more consistent, don't really see the need of Smith.

I don't see Smith having any issues for this short term as it will be a time to prove himself going into FA this summer.

Justin Tyme
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
IIRC, George Karl had problems with JR, so why would Vogel not?
PASS!

I know this is a long shot, BUT I'd much rather have Wilson Chandler, long term, vs a JR Smith, short term. I'm more interested in the long term than a half season rental. The Pacers did the half season rental gig with Peja and Big Al, and neither worked out. Chandler can b/u Granger, and be the heir apparent to the SF position either by not re-signing Granger or trading him. JMOAA

Pacer Fan
02-13-2012, 02:00 PM
PASS!

I know this is a long shot, BUT I'd much rather have Wilson Chandler, long term, vs a JR Smith, short term. I'm more interested in the long term than a half season rental. The Pacers did the half season rental gig with Peja and Big Al, and neither worked out. Chandler can b/u Granger, and be the heir apparent to the SF position either by not re-signing Granger or trading him. JMOAA

I think most of us would like that. But you have to give to get. Not sure who we give that would actually work out. A 1st pick would work for us, but I don't think that will get Chandler.

PaceBalls
02-13-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm all for it.

Gamble1
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
PASS!

George Karl had a very tough job because its not like the players were going to police things.

I think this team and coaching staff could handle it but of course there is a risk there that it could be a Tinsley disaster.

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
This is the Chinese Basketball League that we are talking about.

Yes, but in most International leagues scoring is much lower than in the NBA.

Dr. Awesome
02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm all for it. Every team can manage one head case. Our problem before was we had 4 or 5 at a time. Stephenson has turned it around completely(no I don't think JR Smith would corrupt him), so really I think we can only benefit from this move. When Hill comes back our bench becomes the best in the NBA.

Of course, none of that matters because he is going to sign with the Clippers for "Lob City", on the off-chance that doesn't happen, you can see him in a Lakers or Knicks uniform.

ejwallace
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Heck, it looks like JR's got a history similar to Iverson's....We could just go for the original, and skip the middle man....

Pingu
02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Heck, it looks like JR's got a history similar to Iverson's....We could just go for the original, and skip the middle man....

Except that JR Smith can still play. I doubt he'd pick the Pacers over the Lakers and Clippers, but if he's willing to come then I'd say he's worth the gamble.

imbtyler
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Of course, none of that matters because he is going to sign with the Clippers for "Lob City", on the off-chance that doesn't happen, you can see him in a Lakers or Knicks uniform.

Smith's not going to the Lakers. I think he's got all it takes to start for a team, and I don't believe he'll play second string to Kobe, even with their triangle offense and muddled depth chart.

I still see him landing in LA, though, with the Clippers. Either there or NYK, where all their missing is a solid starting SG. With Linsanity continuing, he could be their consistent starting point guard, but Landry Fields is far from Smith's caliber.

However, I would almost expect to see him go someplace like Orlando. If he and Wilson Chandler both relocated to the Magic, they would be one greater-than-Nelson point guard away from keeping Dwight Howard in place.

NapTonius Monk
02-13-2012, 03:11 PM

52 points, 14 rebounds

Man, Bonzi was a hooper. A headcase, but a hooper. I am so torn on Smith. When he gets hot, he can flat out fill it up! But his shot selection can be maddening at times. I'd feel a lot better about picking him up with the current staff in place. I think he'd be another case for Clark Kellogg to undertake.

ECKrueger
02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I'd be pretty skeptical of him. Seems like a good addition basketball wise, but I just feel like he is an idiot, and we don't really need that.

BRushWithDeath
02-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Man, Bonzi was a hooper. A headcase, but a hooper. I am so torn on Smith. When he gets hot, he can flat out fill it up! But his shot selection can be maddening at times. I'd feel a lot better about picking him up with the current staff in place. I think he'd be another case for Clark Kellogg to undertake.

Bear in mind this was fat, post-NBA Bonzi not 25 year old prime Jailblazer Bonzi.

TheDavisBrothers
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
he's not gonna chose us over the big market teams like the LA's, unless we overpay, no thanks, I'd rather see whats available at the trade deadline

rel
02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
I'll pass.

The last thing i want is JR's sister sitting in Banker's Life every home game

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/13/article-0-0F70A8DA00000578-268_468x286.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/13/article-0-0F70A8DE00000578-690_468x286.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/13/article-0-0F70A8B600000578-970_468x286.jpg

Choked some woman and apparently had a few altercations with the audience...smh
http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/01/jr-smiths-sister-chokes-a-woman-during-a-brawl-at-a-chinese-basketball-association-game

EDIT: lol i swear i should read earlier posts. Holick covered this on page 1 :P

naptownmenace
02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
http://fullcourtpumps.com/tag/jr-smith-girlfriend/

OMG! I like JR Smith the basketball player. I can't stand him as a person. His girlfriend seems like a real winner too.

He'd be perfect in LA or NY. Indy fans would hate him more than they hated Stephen Jackson.

NapTonius Monk
02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
You know more about J.R Smith than me. Being in China, I have never watched a game of his here, but I only heard of the brawl by his sister and girlfriend.

As a player, Pacers need him. As a person, probably not. Maybe he has a pure heart as Artest/SJAX, but we never know what would happen to him the next minute.

BTW, do u mind his sister or girl friend sitting in the Fieldhouse?
They will threw a cup into the court like John Green/Charlie Haddad if JR Smith got fouled hard.
http://sports.eastday.com/s/20120112/images/01997690.jpg
That would only happen once before they'd be banned from BLF.

NapTonius Monk
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM

If we have to use the 'IF' clause more than once on a player, it's likely to stand for It'll Fail. That's a bummer too, because I love Smith's game. But he just seems like the seed of J.R. Rider. They can't get out of their own way.

NewEra
02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1063788-nba-rumors-ranking-the-likely-destinations-for-jr-smith/page/2

For what its worth bleacherreport has us as Smiths 6th likely destination. I would honestly love to get him. When he gets in his groove he can drop 30 on any given night. Obviously hes not that consistent but i guarantee his presence could win us some extra ball games this year.

Smits Happens
02-13-2012, 05:20 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1063788-nba-rumors-ranking-the-likely-destinations-for-jr-smith/page/2

For what its worth bleacherreport has us as Smiths 6th likely destination. I would honestly love to get him. When he gets in his groove he can drop 30 on any given night. Obviously hes not that consistent but i guarantee his presence could win us some extra ball games this year.

It's worth nothing. I don't necessarily disagree with the part that's your opinion though.

beast23
02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
If my choices were to wait for George Hill's return, sign J R Smith or pour boiling water over my privates, I think that I would wait for George, followed by the water option as a distant second, with signing Smith getting no votes whatsoever.

Of course, if trading a pick for MarShon Brooks were an option as Peck as hinted, that option might have to scooch into first or second place in my preference list.

NapTonius Monk
02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
but i guarantee his presence could win us some extra ball games this year.

The problem is, you could also guarantee his presence would cost us some games this year as well. Denver would never deny the fact that he is talented. It is his inability to reel himself in that is the problem. I remember Clark Kellogg asking a question about Artest, that would fit JR Smith as well. "Why can't he just focus on that pure, beautiful basketball ability." The world may never know.

5_7_Clash
02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
If we're talking about renting, I'd rather go after Steve Nash.

Asher99
02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Would be fun to get someone who could actually pass and get our other guys better shots. Of our 12 guys who get PT we have 10 born scorers along with Lou who thinks he's one for whatever reason and Jeff who's great in his role of only taking quality shots.

BlueNGold
02-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I would rather bring back Jim O'Brien than acquire JR Smith.

bshall
02-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Please take it back!!!

NapTonius Monk
02-13-2012, 07:40 PM

http://www.thedailyriff.com/EvilEyes.jpg

Lance George
02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
I'd have an easier time believing the "J.R. Smith is a cancer" talk if he didn't just come off of a season in which has was a major cog in a team with one of the best on-court chemistry in recent history.

He's not a beloved milk drinker, no, but I don't believe he's a team killer, either. He's very talented, and still just 26. In my opinion, he's good enough and young enough to be a team's long-term solution at SG, rather than just a scoring punch off of the bench.

AusPACER
02-13-2012, 07:48 PM
If we're talking about renting, I'd rather go after Steve Nash.

It costs to get Nash. Smith would cost us nothing but a little cap space which we have plenty of.

BlueNGold
02-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Please take it back!!!

Don't worry. IMPD is tracking him via GPS. He's not allowed back in Marion County...;)

gummy
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM

I don't want JR, but - whoa. :-o

Will Galen
02-13-2012, 09:31 PM
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Sources say Smith has been hit by a number of NBA friends and former teammates to join them including New York’s Carmelo Anthony, and Clippers teammates Chauncey Billups and Kenyon Martin who played with Smith in Denver. Sources close to the process say Smith is looking for a situation in which he can play a major role and be well compensated for his efforts. Winning and the playoffs are a factor, but Smith’s camp is extremely sensitive to the perception of Smith being a role player or worse yet being a cast as a minimum dollar athlete. HoopsWorld

Isn't the step above role player a star?

Sparhawk
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Sources say Smith has been hit by a number of NBA friends and former teammates to join them including New York’s Carmelo Anthony, and Clippers teammates Chauncey Billups and Kenyon Martin who played with Smith in Denver. Sources close to the process say Smith is looking for a situation in which he can play a major role and be well compensated for his efforts. Winning and the playoffs are a factor, but Smith’s camp is extremely sensitive to the perception of Smith being a role player or worse yet being a cast as a minimum dollar athlete. HoopsWorld

Isn't the step above role player a star?

I think it goes role player, starter, star.

BringJackBack
02-14-2012, 02:56 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'd definitely take a one year flyer on him and go from there. We need actual depth and this guy just needs a big role in order to sognifcatnly boost our offense. He could be capable of dropping 35 on any given night, and just like with Jamal Crawford, we still need that until Paul George blossoms.

rel
02-14-2012, 03:49 AM
well...based off his twitter, there definitely seems like interest for Indy (or "iNDI") on his end

http://i.imgur.com/eLHAi.png

hmmmmm...interesting

Hypnotiq
02-14-2012, 04:12 AM
also this

ESPNSteinLine Besides Clips and Knicks battling for J.R. Smith's signature, sources say Indiana and Minnesota have also registered interest.

CableKC
02-14-2012, 05:29 AM
I'm thinking that JR Smith and his Agent is using Indy to ramp up the asking price knowing that the Pacers can pay more than anyone else.

wintermute
02-14-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm thinking that JR Smith and his Agent is using Indy to ramp up the asking price knowing that the Pacers can pay more than anyone else.

Sort of, but his other suitors really can't pay more. The Pacers are his most realistic choice of scoring a decent size contract for the rest of the year.

Knicks can offer at most the taxpayer MLE of $2.5m. Clips and Lakers can offer the vet minimum at most. In comparison, the Pacers can offer anything up to $14m thanks to our cap space. So it's pretty obvious why JR might be interested in the Pacers.

FWIW, I don't think we'd be interested in him. It's too bad, but his off-court track record makes him too risky.

BringJackBack
02-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Well... We're not a middle of the road team anymore. We're close to contention, and if he wants to win AND get paid while looking for a larger contract over the summer, he can come here and play... It's not one or the other, it's both winning and money here.

The Sleeze
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Don't worry. IMPD is tracking him via GPS. He's not allowed back in Marion County...;)

GPS shows O'Brien is spending a lot of time on THREE Mile Island......:rimshot:

The Sleeze
02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
If we are really worried about his character issues then we could just lock him in a room with David West for a couple hours.

5_7_Clash
02-14-2012, 09:34 AM
It costs to get Nash. Smith would cost us nothing but a little cap space which we have plenty of.

It would cost to get Steve Nash but there's no way we get JR Smith for nothing but a little cap space. He's going to ask for a much bigger contract than he's had in the past and a lot more PT and touches. He was a super-star in China. He's got a taste for it now.

The Sleeze
02-14-2012, 09:36 AM
It would cost to get Steve Nash but there's no way we get JR Smith for nothing but a little cap space. He's going to ask for a much bigger contract than he's had in the past and a lot more PT and touches. He was a super-star in China. He's got a taste for it now.

Not if he wants to play for the Knicks (mini mid level), Clippers or Lakers (vet minimum).

5_7_Clash
02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Not if he wants to play for the Knicks (mini mid level), Clippers or Lakers (vet minimum).

Which I think is the more likely scenario(s). He could start on any of those teams right now. It would be more difficult for him here and it would cost us more than those teams, IMO.

ksuttonjr76
02-14-2012, 09:49 AM
WTF did he do that was soooooooo horrible? When I google him, I don't pull up any criminal records.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

90'sNBARocked
02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
WTF did he do that was soooooooo horrible? When I google him, I don't pull up any criminal records.

Not that he did something "horrible" just that he has a repuatation for being selfsih at times, and carry a disgruntled attitude

He also crashed his car and his passenger(friend) died

Has a big ego too, form what I hear

5_7_Clash
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Charges of assault, disturbing the peace, and destruction of private property

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/nuggets/2007-10-21-smith-suspension_N.htm

ksuttonjr76
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
That's it??? Give me a break! Sign this man to a contact. Egos are the way of life in the NBA, and deaths from car accidents happen all the time. Hence the reason why they're called accidents.

5_7_Clash
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM
And that's just his sister...

King Tuts Tomb
02-14-2012, 10:18 AM
I lived in Denver for a good amount of the time JR Smith was there and I have no interest seeing him on the Pacers. He just has a bad attitude and an undeserved arrogance. He's undeniably talented but not enough to where I'd sacrifice the team chemistry we've built up.

5_7_Clash
02-14-2012, 10:24 AM
That's it??? Give me a break! Sign this man to a contact. Egos are the way of life in the NBA, and deaths from car accidents happen all the time. Hence the reason why they're called accidents.

It's not as simple as just a "car accident"...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4298594

Justin Tyme
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
With JR's ego and attitude problems in Denver, shouldn't it be a clue that Denver won't re-sign him, but are very interested in re-signing Wilson Chandler?? Hm!!

If you want another S. Jackson, I'm sure Milwaukee will be more than happy to let Jackson go... and QUICKLY!

yoadknux
02-14-2012, 10:48 AM
@MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
The Pacers showed interest in JR Smith early on, but they're interest has since died down, according to a source

Yey.

sportfireman
02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
@MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
The Pacers showed interest in JR Smith early on, but they're interest has since died down, according to a source

Yey.

Maybe G. Hill is close to coming back.

EDIT: or Bird doesn't want to deal with possible headache.

k_lewis93
02-14-2012, 11:06 AM
There is no denying that he is a very talented player though. I actually really hope we try to sign him to like a 2 year contract that wouldn't kill us if he didn't work out.

90'sNBARocked
02-14-2012, 11:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7573563/chris-paul-says-los-angeles-clippers-chances-inking-jr-smith-very-high

DALLAS -- The New York Knicks are the presumptive favorites to sign free-agent swingman J.R. Smith when he returns from China later this week, but Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul likes his team's chances of convincing Smith to take less money to sign with it.

"I think our chances are very high," Paul said Monday night after the Clippers' 96-92 loss to the Dallas Mavericks.

Smith recently announced via his Twitter feed that he expects to be back in the States by Wednesday. Although the Knicks can offer a prorated share of the $2.5 million mini-midlevel exception for the rest of the season, whereas L.A. can't pay more than the veteran minimum, Paul believes the presence of three of Smith's former teammates on the Clippers' roster and the minutes and shots opened up by the season-ending Achilles injury suffered by Chauncey Billups will be strong lures.

"Who knows J.R. better than me?" Paul said of Smith, his teammate for two seasons with the Hornets.

Referring to Kenyon Martin and Billups, both of whom played with Smith in Denver, Paul attributes his optimism to "my relationship with J.R., Kenyon's relationship with him and Chauncey's relationship with him."

"Also he knows he'll have the opportunity to play here," Paul said. "He can only make us better."

ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne reported Sunday that the Clippers were interested in Smith even before Billups' injury last week, believing they could use more offensive firepower off the bench. But that was going to be a tougher sell with the Knicks so desperate for shooters to play alongside Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and the fast-emerging Jeremy Lin.

Without Billups, though, L.A. is suddenly offering a larger role that could offset the Knicks' financial edge. The choice could thus come down to where Smith thinks he has the best chance to showcase himself for the rest of the season after signing in China during the lockout.

The challenge for the Clippers is that Smith is also being recruited hard by Anthony, another former Nuggets teammate who, like Smith and Paul, is represented by agent Leon Rose. Smith has been playful about his intentions, frequently responding to fans of the Knicks, Heat, Lakers and Clippers via his Twitter feed in the days leading up to the end of his Chinese season.

One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Indiana Pacers -- who possess more salary-cap space to spend than any other team in the league at present --and the Minnesota Timberwolves have expressed interest in Smith.

If the Knicks win out, it's believed that the Clippers will try to capitalize on their two trade exceptions created in the blockbuster deal in December that brought them Paul to acquire another shooting guard or small forward. The exceptions are valued at just less than $4 million and $3 million respectively. Shelburne reported Sunday that the Clippers, in that scenario, would likely wait until after March 1 to actively pursue trades, when more than 100 players who signed new contracts in December become eligible to be traded.

Follow Marc Stein on Twitter: @ESPNSteinLine

PGisthefuture
02-14-2012, 11:47 AM
IamaGM.com @IamaGM Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open
Add Timberwolves & Pacers to list of teams (Clippers, Lakers, Knicks) interested in J.R. Smith iamagm.com/news/2012/02/1…
Retweeted by Michael Grady

Kid Minneapolis
02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Pass on this guy.

MillerTime
02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
The Pacers had expressed interest in J.R. Smith, but that has waned recently, according to a source.

Smith is currently playing in China.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218988/Pacers_Lose_Interest_In_JR_Smith#ixzz1mNsVrVKr

Haywoode Workman
02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
In the past I would have been screaming for us to sign JR, but lately I've started to understand the importance of not only the characters of guys as individuals, but how they all mesh together as a team as well. I'm also starting to understand just how detrimental a person's ego can be if it's not kept in check.

I'd sign him, but only on the condition that he takes part in a week long Peruvian ayahuasca retreat to try and deconstruct some of his issues. Other than that, no.

pacers74
02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
If the knicks sign him and it works out, look out. The knicks are going to be tough come may if the get their chemistry together.

ksuttonjr76
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
It's not as simple as just a "car accident"...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4298594

Meh...did he intended to kill his passenger? Speeding is not uncommon, but unfortunely someone died in the accident. However, the person could have easily died if he wasn't speeding, since neither one of them was wearing seatbelts. Giving his driving record, we just need to make it a requirement that he's driven everywhere he goes. Other than that, I would still sign him.

J7F
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
If the knicks sign him and it works out, look out. The knicks are going to be tough come may if the get their chemistry together.

I am having a hard time seeing how their chemistry will come together... Lin has had a very solid week, but I dont see it lasting once Amare & Melo start playing again...

If you take away Lin's scoring potency by adding Melo and Amare's shots per game you are left with a PG with a super low assist to turnover ratio averaging prolly 10 ppg...

And I don't see how Lin will fix how horrible Amare and Melo play off of each other offensively... If Chauncey couldnt do it I am highly doubtful that Linsanity can (despite his newly minted legendary status)...

I am sorry... And I hope he proves me wrong because I think he is a great guy and would be an ideal NBA superstar... But I think reality is going to come crashing down as soon as the 2 stars come back...

5_7_Clash
02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Meh...did he intended to kill his passenger? Speeding is not uncommon, but unfortunely someone died in the accident. However, the person could have easily died if he wasn't speeding, since neither one of them was wearing seatbelts. Giving his driving record, we just need to make it a requirement that he's driven everywhere he goes. Other than that, I would still sign him.

Did Jamal Tinsley "intend" to get shot at in front of the Conrad? Did Stephen Jackson "intend" to pull a gun at a strip club? This isn't about a random accident. This is about a pattern of choices, validated by a criminal record, and an apparent attitude/work ethic issue, supported by the words of coaches and GM's, that manifests with this guy repeatedly. Saying that this team would be protected from his influence by making it " a requirement that he's driven everywhere he goes" is like saying we would have been alright if we had paid someone to follow Ron Artest around and take a beer in the face for him.

Shade
02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
@MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Yey.

"They're?" C'mon, Mike, your better than that.

See what I did there? :-p

Pacerized
02-14-2012, 11:49 PM
We don't know what other options Larry has for trades, but a 1/2 season rental at 4 mil should be an option. The best he will do with the other teams is the mini and vet. Not even close to what Pacers could offer.

I think I'd rather have Kaman, so we could have a steady dose for 48 minutes. Prolly can't have both Kaman and Smith, to much money.

Hill comes back and Paul gets more consistent, don't really see the need of Smith.

I don't see Smith having any issues for this short term as it will be a time to prove himself going into FA this summer.

I'd agree with this line of thinking. I'd much rather save our cap space this season for Kaman. Put an offer on the table to absorb the remainder of Kaman's contract for Lou and a 2cd. That saves the NBA far more money then any other offer they'll get and I think it has more value to the other owners then sending back more salary to N.O. would. We have enough cap space this summer that we should be able to keep Kaman and add another impact player while keeping Hibbert as well. Hibbert's cap hold is low enough to allow us to do this and then go over the cap when we sign Hibbert.

My biggest gripe with Smith as I've watched issues arise with him while I've lived in Colorado has been the way he butts heads with his coach. Karl has had to bench him for what I'd call insubordination in the past where Smith would intentionally go against Karl's directions while he was on the court. A coach has to take action when a player does this or he risk losing the team. I really don't want his attitude on the Pacers.

90'sNBARocked
02-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Bill Ingram: The reason the Pacers aren't pursuing JR Smith has everything to do with character, and nothing to do with ability. Twitter

Kid Minneapolis
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM

:hmm: What a horribly callous view!

ksuttonjr76
02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
:hmm: What a horribly callous view!

No...it's a reality check. Accidents happen. Accidents caused by bad decisions happen. Personally, I don't make "character" decisions on such things. Now, had he been under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident, then that's a different story.

ksuttonjr76
02-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Did Jamal Tinsley "intend" to get shot at in front of the Conrad? Did Stephen Jackson "intend" to pull a gun at a strip club? This isn't about a random accident. This is about a pattern of choices, validated by a criminal record, and an apparent attitude/work ethic issue, supported by the words of coaches and GM's, that manifests with this guy repeatedly. Saying that this team would be protected from his influence by making it " a requirement that he's driven everywhere he goes" is like saying we would have been alright if we had paid someone to follow Ron Artest around and take a beer in the face for him.

Tinsley's situation was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, HOWEVER I wouldn't want a player who could be a victim of a drive-by shooting anytime he's out of public.

Jackson MADE the decision to pull out his gun, HOWEVER I wouldn't want any player who's so quick to pull out a gun and fire it in public.

As for Artest, I'm on record to say that I agree with his actions. I'm NOT in the camp of "They make millions of dollars, so they should let anyone do what they want to them.". HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure that argument has already been beaten to death.

The above situations are rare. JR Smith's situation is common, in the sense a good chunk of drivers speed. Are you going to seriously sit here and tell me that you follow the speed limit EVERYWHERE you go? The only reason that this is even an issue is because someone died. As I said before, would we be more sympathic if he was driving the speed limit at the time of the accident? If there wasn't a death, then this conversation would be a non-issue, and we would all be making jokes whether or not he saved money on Geico insurance.

vnzla81
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN
Knicks closing in on a deal for JR Smith, Daily News has learned. Need to cut a player. Two weeks earlier and it could have been Jeremy Lin

PacersForever
02-16-2012, 12:59 PM
I would love to have J.R on the team and come off the bench.

Stevanson
Hill
Smith
Hansbrough
Lou/Foster

That be an amazing bench. A lot of hussle and ball movment.

However it may delay the development of Paul.

Justin Tyme
02-16-2012, 01:36 PM

THANK YOU MR. BIRD!

CableKC
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
For fantasy purposes....Im glad he's going to MSG....if he went to ClipperLand..he would have taken away shots from MoWill ( whose on my team ).

90'sNBARocked
02-16-2012, 02:43 PM
NY Knicks closing in on deal to add free agent shooting guard J.R. Smith, Smith likely to receive Knicks' $2.5M exception

Jeremy Lin will soon have to learn to play with Carmelo Anthony, as well as one of Anthony's former Denver Nuggets teammate.

The Knicks are closing in on a deal to sign free agent shooting guard J.R. Smith, the Daily News has learned. Smith began the season in China, but has been eyeing a return to the NBA once the lockout ended.

Smith's agent, Leon Rose, met with Garden Chairman James Dolan following Wednesday's Knicks' win over Sacramento to finalize a contract. It is believed that Smith, who has also attracted the interest of the Clippers, will receive the Knicks' $2.5 million exception. Rose also represents Anthony, who has lobbied the club to add Smith, an explosive scorer who can also be erratic at times. He has averaged 12.5 points per game over seven NBA seasons.

Justin Tyme
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Gee, I wonder why Denver isn't trying to re-sign JR? You'd think he'd be on George Karl's want list. (In Green)

90'sNBARocked
02-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Gee, I wonder why Denver isn't trying to re-sign JR? You'd think he'd be on George Karl's want list. (In Green)

yeah , even if JR was a choir boy, still wouldnt understand the knicks need to sign him

The LAST THING they need is another chucker

vnzla81
02-17-2012, 09:55 AM
JR Smith @TheRealJRSmith
New York Knicks It Is!

ksuttonjr76
02-17-2012, 11:21 AM
JR Smith @TheRealJRSmith
New York Knicks It Is!

Wow...the Knicks keep getting better and better. With the emergence of Jeremy Lin and the JR Smith acquistion, I would put them in the Top 5 easily.

Miami
Chicago
Orlando
Indiana
New York

I still believe that Philadelphia is a "pretender" team, but if Indiana don't get their act together....well.

xIndyFan
02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Wow...the Knicks keep getting better and better. With the emergence of Jeremy Lin and the JR Smith acquistion, I would put them in the Top 5 easily.

Miami
Chicago
Orlando
Indiana
New York

I still believe that Philadelphia is a "pretender" team, but if Indiana don't get their act together....well.

i don't think so. let the league adjust to jeremy lin first. he has to have some weakness in his game or he would not playing for the knicks now. the knicks have a flawed group of players. once the smart guys in the league figure out how to defend this bunch, they will sink back into the depths with the other marginal playoff teams.

sportfireman
02-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Renaldo Balkman was released today to make room for Smith. Anyone know much about Balkman? Is he worth the trouble?

Asher99
02-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Those 16 attempts off the bench showed exactly why Smith went to New York.

Robertmto
02-19-2012, 05:12 PM
yea he played awful today right? i'd much rather have Dahntay Jones and Lance stevenson takin those shots...

Asher99
02-19-2012, 05:36 PM
yea he played awful today right? i'd much rather have Dahntay Jones and Lance stevenson takin those shots...

We only had 18 shots off our bench last game as a total. This year we've had a player get off 16 or more shots 23 times and 16 of them are from Granger and have none off the bench. Smith has a PER36 career attempts higher than Danny has by an half a shot a game, we don't have the available shots he's looking for.

90'sNBARocked
02-19-2012, 05:39 PM

I feel ya, but the concern was not his talent but his reputation. Thing is though with him only getting a 1 year contract he wil probwbly be on his best behavior since he is trying to get a fat contract next year

So to your point he probably would have been a good option

croz24
02-19-2012, 05:42 PM

6/16 is about what we get on a nightly basis from Granger

idioteque
02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
The fact that George Karl, as far as I can tell, didn't even appear to try to lobby for his return to Denver speaks volumes to me. His skillset is incredibly ideal for our bench, but his attitude is completely incompatible with our team and most of the fanbase.

idioteque
02-19-2012, 05:43 PM

Heh, you never miss an opportunity do you? :-p

Asher99
02-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Danny has a better shooting percentage from the field, three and FT stripe where Danny gets to far more often than Smith. If every GM in the league had their choice of Danny or Smith every single one is going to pick Granger.

Kstat
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
We only had 18 shots off our bench last game as a total. This year we've had a player get off 16 or more shots 23 times and 16 of them are from Granger and have none off the bench. Smith has a PER36 career attempts higher than Danny has by an half a shot a game, we don't have the available shots he's looking for.

You don't have the available shots he's looking for? Seriously? Who else is there that needs them?

The reason so few pacers have gotten off a high volume of shot is because there are not any volume shooters on the team aside from Granger. It has nothing to do with there not being many shots to go around.

croz24
02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Danny has a better shooting percentage from the field, three and FT stripe where Danny gets to far more often than Smith. If every GM in the league had their choice of Danny or Smith every single one is going to pick Granger.

And I'd take Danny in a heartbeat as well. But to sit there and trash a guy for taking 16 inefficient shots when that's exactly what our "star" player does every other night is awfully hypocritical. If not for his attitude, there's very few players in the league, who I would take over Smith as my 6th man.

Asher99
02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
You don't have the available shots he's looking for? Seriously? Who else is there that needs them?

Outside of Danny all of our key players are making sacrifices on shots and our starters play steady min unless its a blowout. So unless he comes and takes virtually every shot off our bench or we cut some major time from one of the starters we don't have the shots to make a guy who shoots more often than anyone on our team happy. That's why he picked NY, they have him shots.

Asher99
02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
And I'd take Danny in a heartbeat as well. But to sit there and trash a guy for taking 16 inefficient shots when that's exactly what our "star" player does every other night is awfully hypocritical. If not for his attitude, there's very few players in the league, who I would take over Smith as my 6th man.

Where did I trash the guy? I didn't even point out how many he made or missed you did! What I pointed out is why he went to NY which was to get his shots.

Kstat
02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Outside of Danny all of our key players are making sacrifices on shots and our starters play steady min unless its a blowout. So unless he comes and takes virtually every shot off our bench or we cut some major time from one of the starters we don't have the shots to make a guy who shoots more often than anyone on our team happy. That's why he picked NY, they have him shots.

there nobody on Indiana outside of Granger that aggressively looks to score. It has nothing at all to do with being unselfish or making sacrifices. They simply are not volume scorers.

The pacers have no guards that can go out and get their own shot 12-15 times a game, and that was when they had a healthy George hill. The reason their bench registers so few FG attempts is because nobody outside of Tyler wants to shoot the damn ball, and he is either fouled or double teamed on half his touches.

Robertmto
02-19-2012, 06:11 PM

Knicks playd 8 people, JR played 30 minutes. no one on the Pacers does that

Asher99
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
there nobody on Indiana outside of Granger that aggressively looks to score. It has nothing at all to do with being unselfish or making sacrifices. They simply are not volume scorers.

If they could get away with it everyone on our team other than Jeff would shoot 20 times a game, These guys are all scorers....

Final year NCAA PPG/Player/Team Ranking
21.5 Hill 1st
20.7 Hansbrough 1st
20.1 West 1st
18.8 Granger 1st
17.7 Jones 1st
16.8 George 1st
14.7 Price 1st
14.4 DC 2nd by .1 PPG 1st Total points
13.4 Hibbert 1st
12.3 Stephenson 1st

Asher99
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Knicks playd 8 people, JR played 30 minutes. no one on the Pacers does that

Hence why we don't have shots for him and why he picked NY.

Kstat
02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
If they could get away with it everyone on our team other than Jeff would shoot 20 times a game, These guys are all scorers....

21.5 Hill 1st
20.7 Hansbrough 1st
20.1 West 1st
18.8 Granger 1st
17.7 Jones 1st
16.8 George 1st
14.7 Price 1st
13.4 Hibbert 1st
12.3 Stephenson 1st

I was a volume shooter on my YMCA team too....

Asher99
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I was a volume shooter on my YMCA team too....

And we don't have any shots for you either.

Kstat
02-19-2012, 06:25 PM
When the pacers join the big ten, I'll admit those numbers have any validity whatsoever.

Robertmto
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
lmao @ those stats

BRushWithDeath
02-20-2012, 03:42 PM

21.5 Hill 1st
20.7 Hansbrough 1st
20.1 West 1st
18.8 Granger 1st
17.7 Jones 1st
16.8 George 1st
14.7 Price 1st
13.4 Hibbert 1st
12.3 Stephenson 1st

Foster averaged more points in college than Hibbert or Lance. Clearly he needs his looks too.

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
If this team is going to work, we're going to need to start drafting players who are the 4th and 5th options on their college teams. We need guys who won't have to make such grueling sacrifices for the good of the team.

I hope Bird focuses his first round pick on somebody like Tom Pritchard or Sandi Marcius.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM

21.5 Hill 1st
20.7 Hansbrough 1st
20.1 West 1st
18.8 Granger 1st
17.7 Jones 1st
16.8 George 1st
14.7 Price 1st
13.4 Hibbert 1st
12.3 Stephenson 1st

All you've proven with this post is that NBA players are generally one of the best players on their college team. Congratulations.

Otherwise, listing players by their PPG and whether or not they lead their team in college has absolutely nothing to do with the NBA.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Foster averaged more points in college than Hibbert or Lance. Clearly he needs his looks too.

I was going to point this out as well, but I'm glad you already did it. I'm still trying to digest the ground breaking epiphany that guys in the NBA were generally the best players on their college team as well. This could change the NBA as we know it.

DisplacedKnick
02-20-2012, 04:01 PM

It's the D'Antoni system. The shots didn't bother me - shooters will shoot. What did bother me was the 5-6 times where he decided to go one-on-one which turned into one-on-three by ignoring ball movement and taking it into the defense. I remember one nice drop-off pass for an assist but other than that, all I recall is badness.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
If this team is going to work, we're going to need to start drafting players who are the 4th and 5th options on their college teams. We need guys who won't have to make such grueling sacrifices for the good of the team.

I hope Bird focuses his first round pick on somebody like Tom Pritchard or Sandi Marcius.

Pritch slaps baby, this team is devastatingly low on Pritch Slaps.

BRushWithDeath
02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
All you've proven with this post is that NBA players are generally one of the best players on their college team. Congratulations.

Right, but he's proven that emphatically which we can all appreciate.

After all, ball don't lie yo.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
You guys think we could get Earl Calloway as our starting point guard?

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2012, 04:06 PM

He's too hungry for shots. Have you seen his numbers at Ft. Wayne? I haven't either, but I'm sure he's getting them up.

I'd focus somewhere a little farther back. I'm sure we can persuade Dane Fife to leave MSU for the Blue and Gold.

BRushWithDeath
02-20-2012, 04:07 PM

No, but I hear Adam Ahlfeld is available. He doesn't need as many shots.

The Sleeze
02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
These 3 posts made me laugh out loud....i needed that today, thanks guys.

I was going to point this out as well, but I'm glad you already did it. I'm still trying to digest the ground breaking epiphany that guys in the NBA were generally the best players on their college team as well. This could change the NBA as we know it.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
No, but I hear Adam Ahlfeld is available. He doesn't need as many shots.

Maybe Finklemeier wants to drop out of dental school and be that dead eye shooter we've always needed. What's Purdue's Teague up to these days? He could be the distributor we need.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:11 PM
He's too hungry for shots. Have you seen his numbers at Ft. Wayne? I haven't either, but I'm sure he's getting them up.

I'd focus somewhere a little farther back. I'm sure we can persuade Dane Fife to leave MSU for the Blue and Gold.

Why don't we just call up Kyle Hornsby?

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Why don't we just call up Kyle Hornsby?

Are you crazy? That dude averaged 9 shots per 36 in his college career!

We don't have the shots available to satisfy a cold-hearted gunner like that.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Are you crazy? That dude averaged 9 shots per 36 in his college career!

We don't have the shots available to satisfy a cold-hearted gunner like that.

Might need to bring in George Leach.

BRushWithDeath
02-20-2012, 04:19 PM
J.R. Smith topic aside, I'm almost ashamed that this thread nearly dropped off the front page without my seeing last night's stunning development that NBA players were, in fact, almost universally, good players in college.

My entire NBA worldview is forever altered.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
You gotta stay aware of those gems. Should we call up ESPN and tell them that this should be added to all box scores? PPG in college?

Perhaps Bill Simmons should devote a new book of basketball to this singular concept.

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I guess I gotta actually pay more attention to college basketball now, rather than just fill out a bracket every March, by choosing which mascot would win in a death-match, and hope I win the pool.

THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING.

The Sleeze
02-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Two Words: Todd Lindeman

What's even better is he actually signed with the Pacers 3 times....if only we would have known how close we were to greatness....what might have been.

Sep 10, 1996 - Todd Lindeman signed a contract with the Indiana Pacers.
Oct 28, 1996 - The Indiana Pacers placed the contract of Todd Lindeman on waivers.
Sep 8, 1997 - Todd Lindeman signed a contract with the Indiana Pacers.
Oct 29, 1997 - The Indiana Pacers placed the contract of Todd Lindeman on waivers.
Jan 21, 1999 - Todd Lindeman signed a contract with the Indiana Pacers.
Feb 4, 1999 - The Indiana Pacers placed the contract of Todd Lindeman on waivers.

Trader Joe
02-20-2012, 04:26 PM
I guess I gotta actually pay more attention to college basketball now, rather than just fill out a bracket every March, by choosing which mascot would win in a death-match, and hope I win the pool.

THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING.

I pick based on which school colors go with the ensemble I'm currently wearing that day. It's exciting.

Kstat
02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
I can see brad pitt now sitting in the pacers' GM office....

I'm going to change things up...acquire players that scored a lot in college...

Asher99
02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Hate to drop this on you kids but the Bulls have 4 guys on their roster who lead their their team in scoring before coming into the NBA and just two of them are not mid-majors.

Sandman21
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
You guys are all thinking too small, we need to bring in yet another guy who makes Boozer shudder in his sneakers.

That's right, we need to sign the IMMORTAL AJ MOYE!

Kstat
02-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Hate to drop this on you kids but the Bulls have 4 guys on their roster who lead their their team in scoring before coming into the NBA and just two of them are not mid-majors.

Yes but the heat have three guys that were the top ping pong players in their frat houses, while the clippers have five guys that were voted"most likely to succeed" in their senior yearbook. Who's to say what the better standard of success should be?

Asher99
02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes but the heat have three guys that were the top ping pong players in their frat houses, while the clippers have five guys that were voted"most likely to succeed" in their senior yearbook. Who's to say what the better standard of success should be?

The original point remains the same before you and the boys wanted to play the smartest guy in the room grab-*** and dance around why those numbers were posted.

You said we don't have guys who are aggressive scorers and said they aren't making sacrifices and aren't playing unselfish. But in reality we have guys who would love to get off shots and score big totals, and outside of Danny they all are making a sacrifice to attempt to make this work.

Kstat
02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
The original point remains the same before you and the boys wanted to play the smartest guy in the room grab-*** and dance around why those numbers were posted.

You said we don't have guys who are aggressive scorers and said they aren't making sacrifices and aren't playing unselfish. But in reality we have guys who would love to get off shots and score big totals, and outside of Danny they all are making a sacrifice to attempt to make this work.

I'm confused. All you proved was that the pacers had a lot of college players that love to get shots off. When did the Pacers join the NCAA?

Asher99
02-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm confused. All you proved was that the pacers had a lot of college players that love to get shots off. When did the Pacers join the NCAA?

If they loved to get off shots in college then why wouldn't they in the NBA? Below is what you said to kick this off...

Our guys would love to be allowed to score but they're making sacrifices for the good of the team, I'm shocked anyone would say otherwise. Other than Danny our key players are all lower than their career PER36 attempts in the NBA. And if you asked the players they would want those career PER36's to be even higher if they could get away with it.

Mackey_Rose
02-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Perhaps we could have tried to play dumbest guy in the room, but what a waste of time that would have been.

Exercises in total futility just aren't much fun.

BRushWithDeath
02-21-2012, 09:05 AM

Derrick Rose didn't even lead his college team in scoring at a mid-major school! Clearly he isn't a threat to score. How can Thibs keep his job by continuing to allow a no-talent offensive player like that get shots up? Doesn't he know that since Ronnie Brewer was the leading scorer at Arkansas the offense should be run through him? I'll be shocked if he's still employed a year from now.

Trader Joe
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I like how Asher99 just brushes over the fact that he didn't include Foster on that list yet he was the one of (maybe the?) highest scoring player on his college team and a higher scorer in college than a couple of the guys he listed.

Jeff has clearly shown throughout his career that he needs a high volume of shots to be effective. This was proven in college.

Trader Joe
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM

:girlfight

Trader Joe
02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
I think we agree that people are making sacrifices and playing within a team concept, the record reflects this fact. However, I think where we disagree is that it's not necessarily coming in the amount of shots they're taking or that their scoring numbers in college is somehow a good indicator of how many shots they should/need to take in the pros.

BRushWithDeath
02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
I like how Asher99 just brushes over the fact that he didn't include Foster on that list yet he was the one of (maybe the?) highest scoring player on his college team and a higher scorer in college than a couple of the guys he listed.

Jeff has clearly shown throughout his career that he needs a high volume of shots to be effective. This was proven in college.

He didn't want to drop that on us.

Hicks
02-21-2012, 11:49 AM
I can't say I'm happy where this thread has gone. Not a fan of ganging up on people like this and laying it on so thick.

xIndyFan
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I can't say I'm happy where this thread has gone. Not a fan of ganging up on people like this and laying it on so thick.

:lmao: not the post, but the thanks.:laugh:

Asher99
02-21-2012, 05:51 PM

The reason Jeff wasn't included in the list is because he didn't lead his team in scoring and that list is our main rotation players who did in fact lead their team in scoring. Jeff in his senor year in the great Southland Conference had 397 points as Texas State had the 280th ranked Strength of Schedule. Lance had 419 his freshman season and Roy had 454 both in the Big East leading their teams.

Do you think Jeff would have lead those teams in scoring in the Big East or if Lance and Roy played in the weaker Southland how many more points would they have picked up? When Jeff and his team played at Missouri who lost in the first round of the tournament he went 4-of-14 from the field and was lucky to get that with 7 offensive rebounds.

I think we agree that people are making sacrifices and playing within a team concept, the record reflects this fact. However, I think where we disagree is that it's not necessarily coming in the amount of shots they're taking or that their scoring numbers in college is somehow a good indicator of how many shots they should/need to take in the pros.

Clearly we all don''t agree since Kstat flat out said we aren't making sacrifices or playing within a team concept. The only reason the NCAA numbers got brought into play to show we have guys who can and want to score. You are the other posters are the ones who made an failed attempt to make it something bigger than what it was.

Asher99
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
He didn't want to drop that on us.

Yes I do hate making you look stupid for running with something that you have taken out of the content of the discussion and attempting to make it somethings much bigger. I feel embarrassed for you since you think that you've posted something clever when in reality posts like your D Rose one makes you look like a total Jackass.

Doddage
02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm gonna get in here before it's too late.

Kstat
02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm going to try to be civil in one last attempt to explain to you how horribly out out of touch your logic is.

Those players you listed had the talent to launch a lot of shots in a college game. They do NOT have the talent to do so in an NBA game.

It's no different than the HS player that jacks up 25 shots a game and then in college has to deal with being a spot shooter because he can't get away with the same things.

Listing college stats is completely and totally irrelevant. Dohntay jones had the ability to be a volume scorer at duke. He does NOT have that ability in the NBA. You could make him the starting SG, play him 40 minutes and he would still not get off a lot of shots on an average basis. He does not have the ability to consistently create his own shot in the NBA. Very few players on the pacers do.

It has nothing to do with minutes, or being selfish or unselfish. They are not talented enough offensive to take over a game in 1-on-1 situations.

I also never said the Pacer don't play under a team concept. I said their team concept is not what's keeping player from being volume shooters. What's keeping them from being volume shooters is that THEY ARE NOT VOLUME SHOOTERS at this level.

People think all you need to jack up 20 shots in an NBA game is a selfish desire to do so. That's a ridiculous misconception.

If the Pacers brought in JR Smith or OJ Mayo tomorrow, they could play the next day and jack up a dozen shots without interrupting the flow of the offense. The Pacers have a dire need for SOMEONE to take a high volume of shots off the bench.

Asher99
02-21-2012, 08:29 PM
For the 3rd time now this is what you wrote....

All those guys I listed want to score and have the ability to post big point totals if given shots. Everyone I listed has had a 20 or more point games in this league other than Lance who hasn't had many games getting lots of looks. What you typed and what I quoted is 100% wrong and will always be wrong no matter how much you dance around it.

Kstat
02-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Well... I tried...feel free to grab a hold of that shovel and keep digging.