PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein on B.S. report (2/10/12) Pacers talk begins at 24:45

focused444
02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7562824

They discuss possibly moving Granger.

Bill advocates for Steve Nash trade. Marc says Nash is staying put.

Gordon and Kaman mentioned.

Marc Stein is high the Pacers now and going forward.

rock747
02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Does he say, "Why haven't they traded Danny Granger to fill in the gaps because Paul George should be starting." huh?

focused444
02-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Does he say, "Why haven't they traded Danny Granger to fill in the gaps because Paul George should be starting." huh?

Yeah I caught that too. I think they meant starting at SF

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah I agree with them regarding the Pacers.

yoadknux
02-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I think they said pretty interesting things.

The most interesting thing was obviously us renting Nash, but I guess that won't happen. (Though I'm a big fan of us getting a better starting point guard - Rondo, Nash, whoever can take us to the next level while keeping our core)

Should we be moving Granger? I don't know. I mean, maybe 2 years ago, when he had high trade value, and we weren't getting anywhere, that would have made sense. But now his trade value is a lot lower, We're finally WINNING more games than we lose, and depsite awful statistics Granger's our best player. You don't trade away your best player when you're winning unless you can pull something that makes your team a whole lot better.
I'm not even sure about the whole "George playing out of position" thing that's going on. When we drafted him and he played some games as SG I thought "well, he's really out of position". And even now I look at him and think that he can't really handle the ball against smaller guards, he can't quite keep up with guys that shake him off screens like Allen. But on the other hand he doesn't even look strong enough to guard guys like Wallace, Ariza, Pierce, Deng, Melo... And he's putting really good numbers as our starting SG, so in my opinion now isn't the right time to move Granger.

CJ Jones
02-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Pacers talk starts around 25 minute in...

OakMoses
02-10-2012, 06:43 PM
If you go by who you can guard to determine position, then George is a 2 right now. He's better at defending smaller, quicker guys than he is at defending bigger, stronger guys. Watch him try to guard Johnson when they play Atlanta. He's not strong enough. 2 - 3 years from now, he'll be a 3, but right now he fits better as a 2.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

CJ Jones
02-10-2012, 07:14 PM
If you go by who you can guard to determine position, then George is a 2 right now. He's better at defending smaller, quicker guys than he is at defending bigger, stronger guys. Watch him try to guard Johnson when they play Atlanta. He's not strong enough. 2 - 3 years from now, he'll be a 3, but right now he fits better as a 2.

I posted this in another thread, but it goes along with this discussion too. These are my thoughts on the subject...

I'm not convinced on defense having Paul chase SGs is the best use of his skills in the long run. He has great rebounding instincts (watch what he does after a shot goes up compared to Danny), and he'd be able to freelance more to rebound, block shots and get steals (like LeBron) if he played SF and didn't have to chase guards around all the time.

...I agree he needs to get stronger to guard certain players in the post, but there's plenty of other reasons he should be a SF at some point IMO.

CableKC
02-10-2012, 07:22 PM

This is my exact thought. I want PG to be the SG on the floor....if Granger is ever traded....I hope that he's traded for a solid Starting Quality SF that can score and defend the perimeter ( think Batum or Dorell Wright ).

Infinite MAN_force
02-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I stick by what I've said, people who think we need to trade Danny to make room for George haven't watched the team enough. They coexist fine.

Its an obsession over Paul George's height. Its stupid. Dude can guard Derrick Rose, he's more of a factor playing guard. Should be obvious.

OakMoses
02-11-2012, 08:26 AM
You have to take into account that George is only 21 years old. He's going to get bigger as he ages, and - I would guess - trade some of his ability to defend quick guys for the strength to defend big guys. I think his long-term position is the 3, but right now he is a 2 and I don't think it hurts his development to play there at all.

Sparhawk
02-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I had a dream last night that the Pacers traded DG for Gordon.

Could it be a vision of the future????

/I like Granger and hope he stays a Pacers. Just hope he finds his shot. The dude should be a model of consistency and he just hasn't.

BlueNGold
02-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I stick by what I've said, people who think we need to trade Danny to make room for George haven't watched the team enough. They coexist fine.

Its an obsession over Paul George's height. Its stupid. Dude can guard Derrick Rose, he's more of a factor playing guard. Should be obvious.

I agree. I *love* Paul's work on the glass, but his perimeter D is elite. There's just too much value with him playing the passing lanes and defending the perimeter.

Will Galen
02-11-2012, 10:37 AM
You have to take into account that George is only 21 years old. He's going to get bigger as he ages, and - I would guess - trade some of his ability to defend quick guys for the strength to defend big guys. I think his long-term position is the 3, but right now he is a 2 and I don't think it hurts his development to play there at all.

You know what most people haven't considered is Paul being just 21 years old, and already at 224 pounds. (what he started the season at) If he puts on 20 pounds of muscle he could be our starting power forward in about 4 years.

PR07
02-11-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't think Granger is holding George's game back. George's lack of great handles are clearly hindering his offense if he wants to be more than a spot up three point shooter/occasional slasher.

CJ Jones
02-11-2012, 11:28 AM

It's not that obvious to Stein, Simmons, and few of us here at PD. I think there's a legitimate question whether or not SG is his best position.

You know what most people haven't considered is Paul being just 21 years old, and already at 224 pounds. (what he started the season at) If he puts on 20 pounds of muscle he could be our starting power forward in about 4 years.

This. He's not tiny. Paul's already a lot bigger than Tayshaun Prince, and Prince has done pretty well defensively in his career.

I don't think Granger is holding George's game back. George's lack of great handles are clearly hindering his offense if he wants to be more than a spot up three point shooter/occasional slasher.

This is another reason Paul might be better suited for the SF. Is there a team with a worse ball handling SG in the league? Same question can be asked of Granger at the SF. I honestly can't think of a worse wing duo as far as ball handling is concerned.That's why some us think we need a facilitator at PG if we're gonna keep this duo together.

BlueNGold
02-11-2012, 11:48 AM
This is another reason Paul might be better suited for the SF. Is there a team with a worse ball handling SG in the league? Same question can be asked of Granger at the SF. I honestly can't think of a worse wing duo as far as ball handling is concerned.That's why some us think we need a facilitator at PG if we're gonna keep this duo together.

This is one of the best points I've read in a long time about this team. We have a lot of talent, but our wings cannot dribble and our PG cannot create very well. These are the main issues holding up the flow of our offense...and yes, as you indicate they are related.

PGisthefuture
02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Simmons sounds like he has a cold all the time...

OakMoses
02-11-2012, 06:51 PM

You just killed off half the population of PD by making them think of George as the worst thing in all of basketball: a stretch four.

Major Cold
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I had a dream last night that the Pacers traded DG for Gordon.

Could it be a vision of the future????

It was probably late night taco bell.

DrFife
02-11-2012, 08:06 PM

I've been wondering about this all year. I think it could happen sooner than later.