PDA

View Full Version : Five questions with Pacers center Roy Hibbert/ESPN

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120210-11/nba-dwight-howard-more-trade-chatter

Five questions with Pacers center Roy Hibbert:

Q: You guys have a nice little collection of road wins. What's different about this Pacers team compared to some of the recent editions?

A: Our fourth-quarter tempo and our fourth-quarter demeanor has changed on the road. Getting rebounds, limiting teams to one shot, that's what we're about. I think we're the best-kept secret in the league.

Q: Most people draw a line under Miami and Chicago when it comes to contenders in the East. How realistic is it for the league's best-kept secret to get up to that level?

A: The sky's the limit. We're constantly getting better. Defensively we're one of the best teams in the league. We're having fun, we're moving the ball and we're winning. We don't get much pub. Everybody wants to worry about the big-name teams. That's fine.

Q: Just being in the locker room with you guys now, my outsider's impression is that this is a pretty tight group. Tell me I'm not just being fooled after a big win [in Dallas].

A: This is my fourth year in the league and, seriously, I've never seen a locker room like this. Guys can actually talk and communicate with the coaches, so that leads to us being able to communicate [among] ourselves and figure things out on the court without having to worry about getting yelled at.

Q: Not exactly a secret that you were pretty happy with (last season's) coaching change, is it?

A: I'll tell you -- and I've said this before -- that I'd run through a brick wall for that man [coach Frank Vogel]. Whatever he wants me to do, I'll do it. He got me back on top of my game last year.

Q: Why? Why are you so loyal to him?

A: Since I was a rookie, Frank always said, "Roy, you're gonna be good." He's always encouraged me. When I did something wrong, he told me how to fix it. He always encourages me. And, seriously, that goes a long way, when a coach has your back.

(Editor's note: Hibbert had not yet been named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team at the time of this visit.)

PaceBalls
02-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Some shots fired at the former coach there by Roy.

"Guys can actually talk and communicate with the coaches, so that leads to us being able to communicate [among] ourselves and figure things out on the court without having to worry about getting yelled at."

A: Since I was a rookie, Frank always said, "Roy, you're gonna be good." He's always encouraged me. When I did something wrong, he told me how to fix it. He always encourages me. And, seriously, that goes a long way, when a coach has your back.

I'm so glad Frank is the coach..

90'sNBARocked
02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
A: This is my fourth year in the league and, seriously, I've never seen a locker room like this. Guys can actually talk and communicate with the coaches, so that leads to us being able to communicate [among] ourselves and figure things out on the court without having to worry about getting yelled at.

I think Obie is lucky big Roy never lost his cool :)

BringJackBack
02-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I think that coach Vogel has plans for Roy that are above and beyond what the NBA sees coming... Roy used to be so depressed about his game and hated his lack of athleticism/strength, and Vogel kept him on his feet and was the most supportive guy in the Pacers organization. I mean, Larry has always been huge on Roy, but I'm sure that Larry doesn't have a personal relationship with Roy because he stays back.