PDA

View Full Version : Paul George joins Sophomore team

Psyren
02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/rookie-challenge.shtml

Reigning Rookie of the Year Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers, the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Kyrie Irving, the No. 1 overall selection in the 2011 NBA Draft, and Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Ricky Rubio, who ranks third overall in assists, lead a list of 18 players selected for the 2012 BBVA Rising Stars Challenge to be held on Friday, Feb. 24, in Orlando during NBA All-Star 2012.

Joining Griffin from the Sophomore class are: DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings), Landry Fields (New York Knicks), Paul George (Indiana Pacers), Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz), Greg Monroe (Detroit Pistons), Tiago Splitter (San Antonio Spurs), Evan Turner (Philadelphia 76ers), and John Wall (Washington Wizards).

Irving and Rubio are joined by fellow first-year players MarShon Brooks (New Jersey Nets), Brandon Knight (Detroit Pistons), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs), Markieff Morris (Phoenix Suns), Tristan Thompson (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kemba Walker (Charlotte Bobcats), and Derrick Williams (Minnesota Timberwolves).

Good for him. :)

Nice to get a little recognition. Hopefully the next news will be about Roy being an All-Star!

xBulletproof
02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Although I don't hate Jim O'Brien as much as some here, I think PG would be a good step or two ahead of where he is now if Vogel was coaching from the beginning of last year. Until about 10 games ago he always seemed to waver with his confidence or assertiveness. One of the two, if not both. He seems to be coming out of that shell and his handles have improved as that's happened too.

Lance George
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
So, who's up for a mock Rookie Challenge draft? :p

ROOKIES
MarShon Brooks (New Jersey Nets)
Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Brandon Knight (Detroit Pistons)
Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs)
Markieff Morris (Phoenix Suns)
Ricky Rubio (Minnesota Timberwolves)
Tristan Thompson (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Kemba Walker (Charlotte Bobcats)
Derrick Williams (Minnesota Timberwolves)

SOPHOMORES
DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
Landry Fields (New York Knicks)
Paul George (Indiana Pacers)
Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)
Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz)
Greg Monroe (Detroit Pistons)
Tiago Splitter (San Antonio Spurs)
Evan Turner (Philadelphia 76ers)
John Wall (Washington Wizards)

Nuntius
02-08-2012, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see Ricky Rubio with Blake Griffin and Tiago Splitter. Amazing PnR all day long.

Also, I'd like to see John Wall with Greg Monroe. It would be nice for Wall to pair up with a smart big man for the first time in his career.

PS: I really believe that Isaiah Thomas deserved a place in the rookie squad. He has been impressive for the struggling Kings.

Day-V
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Awesome!

Kstat
02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
it will be very interesting to see who gets picked second.

TheDon
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
won't be his last all-star game appearance

BRushWithDeath

My money is on Kyrie Irving.

Ownagedood
That's whats up.

BRushWithDeath
02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
won't be his last all-star game appearance

Nor will it be his first.

TheDon
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
reading paul george's twitter it doesn't even seem like he or any other pacer are aware of the situation someone should tweet this to him

Lance George
02-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I see this being the first four picks...

TEAM A
1. Blake Griffin
3. Ricky Rubio

TEAM B
2. Kyrie Irving
4. Greg Monroe

Sets up an interesting contrast between the flashy play of Rubio and Griffin, and the more fundamental play of Irving and Monroe. I could see Paul George going as high as 5th, since, going by the above picks, both teams would have a big and a point, which might cause Wall and Cousins to slip a little bit.

TheDon
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Nor will it be his first.

:confused:

Did he make it last year?

Sookie
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Congrats to PG. Well deserved.

Lance George
02-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Nope.

BRushWithDeath
02-08-2012, 03:11 PM

His first All-Star Weekend appearance is coming up but not his first All-Star Game appearance.

ilive4sports
02-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Wow, good thing they are doing a draft. If it was still rookies vs sophomores, this game would be embarrasing

HickeyS2000
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
If Griffin has to go first, I would pick John Wall second. That dude is built for street ball play.

TheDon
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
His first All-Star Weekend appearance is coming up but not his first All-Star Game appearance.

Ah :D got ya, I was like wtf? I know my apathy for the pacers was reaching an all-time high with obie at the helm, but I thought I would have remembered something like that.

AesopRockOn
02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
No Lance?

Major Cold
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
No Lance?

:clintshudder:

Kstat
02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
I see this being the first four picks...

TEAM A
1. Blake Griffin
3. Ricky Rubio

TEAM B
2. Kyrie Irving
4. Greg Monroe

Sets up an interesting contrast between the flashy play of Rubio and Griffin, and the more fundamental play of Irving and Monroe. I could see Paul George going as high as 5th, since, going by the above picks, both teams would have a big and a point, which might cause Wall and Cousins to slip a little bit.

I'd hope that whatever team gets the second pick also gets the third pick.

KingGeorge
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Congrats to Paul. He definitely deserved it.

D0NT SH0OT ME
02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
TNTís Kenny Smith will serve as the honorary Commissioner and Ernie Johnson will host the live Rising Stars Challenge event Draft on Thursday, Feb. 16, on NBA TV at 7 p.m. ET.

Called it :D

That sounds really cool actually, even though TNT is probably going to turn the "draft" into an hour long special filled with lots of pandering and nothing actually being done.

Stuckey7370
02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Will Griffin even play? It seems unlikely this being the shorten season and him starting the All Star game.

Hoop
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
I hope he's in the 3pt and Slam Dunk Contest too, that would make it even awesome-er. :D

Pacergeek
02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
:clintshudder:

Derrick williams made the team? He has been out played by the career underachiever Martell Webster.

Kstat
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
there weren't many alternatives. This year has been a pretty weak rookie crop.

shags
02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd hope that whatever team gets the second pick also gets the third pick.

I think that will happen too.

If I had the 2nd and 3rd pick, I'd pick John Wall and Paul George, knowing that either Monroe or Cousins (and maybe both) will drop to me because the other team has Griffin and will take Rubio.

John Wall is tailor made for a game like this. Just because he plays with a team of knuckleheads, don't discount his talent. He's every bit as good as Irving and Rubio.

ilive4sports
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Wall was pretty entertaining in last years game. Remember the bounce pass over Steph Curry alley oop to Griffin?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SolTuC54yqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pizza guy
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Hopefully PG24 gets a good chance to shine in this. With all the higher profile guys in the game, he might not be able to show off as much. I'm hoping he does because people need to recognize!

PGisthefuture
02-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Hopefully PG24 gets a good chance to shine in this. With all the higher profile guys in the game, he might not be able to show off as much. I'm hoping he does because people need to recognize!

I think Shaq knows what PG can do so hopefully that's who picks him. PG and Griffin with Rubio would be Lob City 2.0...

Frostwolf
02-09-2012, 03:20 AM
it will be a travesty (as much as the word can be applied to such a match, haha) if wall does not go #2.

Robertmto
02-09-2012, 04:32 AM

behind griffin right?