PDA

View Full Version : Rooks vs Soph game gets a twist

PaulGeorge
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/allstar2012/story/_/id/7551060/2012-all-star-game-nba-alters-format-rookie-sophomore-game

NEW YORK -- The NBA has decided to try a new format for its All-Star Weekend game featuring the league's top young talent.

The Rising Stars Challenge will feature teams comprised of both rookies and sophomores. TNT analysts Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal will serve as the general managers and conduct a draft on Feb. 16 to determine each team.

The rookies faced the sophomores in previous years.

The pool of players for this year's game on Feb. 24 in Orlando, Fla., will be announced on Wednesday. The head coaches will be the lead assistants from the All-Star game coaching staffs.

The NBA announced the details on Tuesday.
-----------------------------------------------

My guess is this should make it more competitive. That and the sophomore class would dominate this rookie class.

PGisthefuture
02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Hoping for a Kyrie Irving-Paul George-Blake Griffin combo.

Kstat
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
...it's all fun and games until someone deserving gets snubbed because he's not on ESPN/TNT enough for Barkley or Shaq to notice....then all we're going to hear is *****, ***** *****....

That one of Shaq's reasons for Blake Griffin being better than kevin love was "excitement" does not inspire great confidence in him building a good roster...

ilive4sports
02-07-2012, 03:26 PM
PG has to be in this right?

Kstat
02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
PG has to be in this right?

Well, he's got a few highlight dunks recently, so he's pretty safe.

Sandman21
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I bet Barkley tries to draft Allen Iverson first. :rimshot:

pacergod2
02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Does the league dictate the player pool to Shaq and Chuck and they just draft sides? Will there be the same number of sophomores and rookies?

Kstat
02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
i'm guessing it's pretty much a free for all.

MiaDragon
02-07-2012, 03:42 PM
What a joke.

D0NT SH0OT ME
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
That sounds really cool actually, even though TNT is probably going to turn the "draft" into an hour long special filled with lots of pandering and nothing actually being done.

tadscout
02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Does the league dictate the player pool to Shaq and Chuck and they just draft sides? Will there be the same number of sophomores and rookies?

The pool of players for this year's game on Feb. 24 in Orlando, Fla., will be announced on Wednesday. The head coaches will be the lead assistants from the All-Star game coaching staffs.

So the league sets the pool of players tomorrow... then they do the draft on the 16th.

Trader Joe
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
It adds a cool twist to a pretty stale event. It actually makes it feel like a rising stars game.

CableKC
02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Hoping for a Kyrie Irving-Paul George-Blake Griffin combo.
Just like Wade, LeDecision and Tag-Along conspired to play together during the Olympics...I hope that PG can convince Kyrie and Griffin to join him in Indy when all of them become UFAs in 9 to 10 years. :chin:

Ownagedood
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I like it. Mixes things up.. Makes both teams exciting and young. I'm rooting for PG's team.

MTM
02-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I think there is more of a chance for it to be competitive and interesting rather than a politically-determined playground game.

Roaming Gnome
02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't know... I think they could have something better worked out than letting Barkley and Shaq pick the teams. Maybe the coaches, players or the beat writers for the teams. This just feels like another way to get players with a high "NBA Q rating" into the game at the expense of probably more deserving players that are not on TNT or SportsCenter.

I don't like this!

rel
02-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I like it. As much as I know Barkley and Shaq will have idiotic reasoning for their picks...It will definitely be more entertaining than just watching them play straight up and gives us something to talk about haha. Mock drafts anyone? :P

Trader Joe
02-07-2012, 04:24 PM
You guys don't think Shaq and Barkley will want to beat each other and pick the best teams possible? You must not watch them on TNT then.

Heisenberg
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Long as the league still picks who gets in and it's just Shaq and Chuck picking a team, playground style. If someone deserving gets left off, and loses a contract bonus or something like that, because two idiots are picking then that's terrible.

AesopRockOn
02-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't know... I think they could have something better worked out than letting Barkley and Shaq pick the teams. Maybe the coaches, players or the beat writers for the teams. This just feels like another way to get players with a high "NBA Q rating" into the game at the expense of probably more deserving players that are not on TNT or SportsCenter.

I don't like this!

I think you're putting too much stock in an event that casual fans never watch and barely know exists.

Now if only the NBA would consider some of these experimental changes with things that actually matter. :cough:eightytwogameseason:cough:

rel
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Long as the league still picks who gets in and it's just Shaq and Chuck picking a team, playground style. If someone deserving gets left off, and loses a contract bonus or something like that, because two idiots are picking then that's turrible.

Fixed. :P

http://emotibot.net/pix/1157.jpg

tadscout
02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Again folks... read the article. The league sets the players that make the game tomorrow. Barkley and Shaq draft out of that group on the 16th.

pizza guy
02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Pretty cool idea, I think. Having Shaq & Sir Charles pick the teams has got to be cool for the young guys, and mixing the rookies & sophomores up should make it a competitive game.

Unclebuck
02-07-2012, 04:55 PM
certainly cannot hurt. The game is always IMO awful

BRushWithDeath
02-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I agree. I can 100% guarantee I would not have watched this year with the old formula. I might give it a shot this way.

CompACE
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
It could be worse. Imagine an espn telecast where Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless are the gms. Skip Bayless probably wouldn't be able to pick Paul George out of a police lineup.

Cactus Jax
02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
This is ripped straight from the NHL's idea to draft an all-star team, they're just using it for the rookie/soph game.

Sandman21
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Shaq and Barkley should be micced up pseudo-coaches for this thing.

Steagles
02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
I love the idea so long as the NBA determines the pool, which is the case. They will do everything in their power to outdo each other and that provides excitement and a reason to watch an event I've never watched or cared to.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Hicks
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Since it's not Shaq and Barkley determining the pool of players (I believe I read the assistant coaches are responsible for the pool itself), I like this a lot, actually.

ilive4sports
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Since it's not Shaq and Barkley determining the pool of players (I believe I read the assistant coaches are responsible for the pool itself), I like this a lot, actually.

Agreed. If they decided who was in it, it would just be too silly. But since this will be play ground style, I think it will be damn entertaining. Can't wait to see who picks PG

Doddage
02-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Agreed. If they decided who was in it, it would just be too silly. But since this will be play ground style, I think it will be damn entertaining. Can't wait to see who picks PG
I'm gonna predict Shaq since he selected PG's recent fastbreak reverse jam in his top 10 "Diesel's Dunks" last week.

pwee31
02-07-2012, 07:40 PM
This could bold well for Paul George. Pacers have been Barkley's sleeper team most of the year

Roaming Gnome
02-08-2012, 12:56 AM
You guys don't think Shaq and Barkley will want to beat each other and pick the best teams possible? You must not watch them on TNT then.

You're right... I don't watch them much on TNT other than the occasional game in a blue moon. As for the idea... I guess I jumped the gun when I said I didn't like the idea because I didn't realize the pool was selected by someone other than Shaq & Barkley. With that being the case...

It's a GREAT IDEA!!! :D

Damn, my reading comprehension must be going down as my age is going up... :duh:

Indra
02-08-2012, 04:24 AM
It could be worse. Imagine an espn telecast where Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless are the gms. Skip Bayless probably wouldn't be able to pick Paul George out of a police lineup.

Let's hope it never comes to that...

ejwallace
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Will there be a quota on rook:soph, or could one team be comprised of all rooks/sophs?

LA_Confidential
02-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I bet you some ocean front property in Arizona that the first pick will be Blake Griffin. Keeping it real, I don't even think he should even be involved. He was drafted 3 seasons ago and IMO the NBA completely screwed John Wall out of ROY honors.

Kstat
02-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Larry Bird was drafted in 1978. He was ROY in 1980. Who cares? Your first season is your first season. It doesn't matter when you were drafted.

LA_Confidential
02-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Larry Bird was drafted in 1978. He was ROY in 1980. Who cares? Your first season is your first season. It doesn't matter when you were drafted.

Can you explain why Bird didn't play for two years?

Day-V
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Can you explain why Bird didn't play for two years?

It was actually just 1 year. He was drafted in 1978 (for the 78-79 season), decided to stay in college for his senior year, and came to the NBA for the 1979-1980 season.

In regards to Blake, I personally consider him a 3rd year player. The difference between him and Bird is that Blake wore an NBA jersey in 2009, and played in the pre-season. That, in my eyes, signifies his rookie season, and that he essentially missed his entire rookie year due to injury.

Pacer Fan
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Larry was drafted in 78 and went back to school his senior year, cause he wanted to finish college for his mom, Indiana St. He played in 79, his rookie year. That's what I remember anyways!

Kstat
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
The difference between him and Bird is that Blake wore an NBA jersey in 2009

So did I, and I never logged any real NBA minutes either.

That, in my eyes, signifies his rookie season, and that he essentially missed his entire rookie year due to injury.

I could list off hundreds of players that played in preseason and yet are listed as guys that never played in the NBA.

The only NBA stats that get officially recorded are actual real games. If you don't play a real NBA second, you are not an NBA player. Blake was not officially a part of the NBA until the 2011 season. He was a rookie. His reasons for not playing at all the season prior are totally irrelevant.

Day-V
02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Right, right, right, I get it. I'm just saying, in my eyes, he was drafted that year, he went to training camp, he played in an official NBA-sanctioned game (albeit preseason, yes), he appeared in 2K10 and Live 10, he travelled with the team throughout the course of the season, and most importantly, he still got paid that season.

I get it, KStat. He TECHNICALLY is a 2nd year player. It's just not the way I see it.