PDA

View Full Version : The Jeremy Lin Show!

Pages : [1] 2

BornReady
02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I know it is against the struggling Nets, but I still think its a really special performance! :) yay Asian power!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G0oaqWMLdwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pacer Fan
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
NBA Shadow Ninja!

or maybe it was just really poor defense!

Major Cold
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Having a 2k My Player moment.

Infinite MAN_force
02-05-2012, 11:39 PM
I know it is against the struggling Nets, but I still think its a really special performance! :) yay Asian power!

He was matched up with Deron Williams, so I still consider it impressive.

graphic-er
02-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Probably should have had him on the floor more in the previous games. They need smarter players in NYC, that way they don't have guys like Novak trying to take game winners. He was a very intriguing player to me coming out of college, because you could tell he has a ton of talent. Hope he gets some real minutes going forward.

vnzla81
02-06-2012, 12:51 AM
I think is sad to see that this guy makes better passes than either one of our point guards.

Trader Joe
02-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I think is sad to see that this guy makes better passes than either one of our point guards.

Yeah one highlight video of him against the Nets. We definitely couldn't find any highlight videos of Collison's passes anywhere even if we tried.....

Sookie
02-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Yeah one highlight video of him against the Nets. We definitely couldn't find any highlight videos of Collison's passes anywhere even if we tried.....

Yea...

I mean, Jeremy Lin definitely has a fun game to watch when he's clicking. I'll never forget attending a Uconn game, he was just on. By the end of the game, the entire student section was pretty much cheering for Harvard.

I believe a similar thing happened when Lin faced Wall in the summerleage.

RLeWorm
02-06-2012, 02:39 AM
i think Jlin is going to have a successful NBA career because he has high basketball IQ. He will keep attacking. I've watched that summer league game with him and Wall and some of his highlights last season with the warriors. But then again I'm really rooting for him cause im asian lol

travmil
02-06-2012, 08:03 AM
That's the smartest 25 points I've ever seen.

Nuntius
02-06-2012, 08:20 AM
It's nice for the guy. He is a smart guy and it shows in the basketball court.

naptownmenace
02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
That's great~! He's an intriguing player and I was surprised he didn't get much playing time last year. I'm pulling for him. The Knicks certainly could use a smart point guard right now.

vnzla81
02-06-2012, 12:41 PM

I'm still waiting for the video of one game were our point guards make complicated passes like the ones Lin is making in this game, how many games has this guy play in the NBA again?

Sookie
02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm still waiting for the video of one game were our point guards make complicated passes like the ones Lin is making in this game, how many games has this guy play in the NBA again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQsmd3_ihE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWegx4VteaA

Happy?

vnzla81
02-06-2012, 02:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQsmd3_ihE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWegx4VteaA

Happy?

There is a reason why I said "passes", Lin is making complicated pass after complicated pass in that game, how come it only took this guy few games to learn how to pass? how many coaches he had?

Here is a better video of the game by the way.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ipO61C6S9Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peck
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Danny Granger for Jeremy Lin trade coming from VNZLA in 3...2...1...;)

Since86
02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Good thing vnzla isn't going to hijack another thread.

vnzla81
02-06-2012, 02:34 PM

:tongue: ......... hey at least Lin is shooting .462% unlike Danny :-p

vnzla81
02-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Good thing vnzla isn't going to hijack another thread.

Trust me nobody does a better job than you ;)

Since86
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Trust me nobody does a better job than you ;)

And yet I only reply to your DC comments. Weird.

vnzla81
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
OK so I found the famous DC triple double game, yep he made some nices passes there, one of the passes to West was nice. 18pts 12ast 13reb 8tov for him that day.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xMz6y5WnLmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tZGi2cxF5v0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AesopRockOn
02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Tyson Chandler should win the 'Most Likely to Make a Cameo as a Dothraki' Award.

judicata
02-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Kid just went yard on the Jazz tonight. 28 and 8, although he almost got the bad triple double with 8 TOs. I didn't watch the game, so I'm just going to assume they were perfect dimes that bounced off his teammates hands!

Sookie called this last year, too, when she noted that he was the best player on the floor when Harvard played UCONN. No idea if he can keep this up, but he's already earned his contract.

vnzla81
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
He destroyed Utah last night, they didn't know what to do to stop him, the kid knows how to play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iYSdt6ahkK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vnzla81
02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Ken Berger @KBergCBS
Details So Elias says Jeremy Lin (28 points, eight assists) had the most points/assists in first career start since (gulp) Isiah in '81.

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_SI
Details Jeremy Lin has attempted 9.3 free throws per 36 minutes this season. Among rotation players, only LeBron and D-12 average more. #Linsanity

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_SI
Details Jeremy Lin has assisted on 47.2% of NYK's baskets while on the court. Among rotation players, only Steve Nash his a higher mark. #Linsanity

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_SI
Details People: Saying Lin's numbers come from a small sample size is the same thing as saying "Duh." We know. Everyone knows.

vnzla81
02-07-2012, 01:01 PM
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/02/07/is-lin-sanity-here-to-stay-in-new-york/?sct=nba_t11_a1

All season, Knicks fans have been tracking every update on when Baron Davis, the presumed savior at point guard, might finally be able to step onto the court and organize an offense that has ranked 20th or worse in points per possession almost all season — a stunning thing for a team built around two scoring stars. Davis suffered another setback in his recovery from a herniated disk on Monday, but New York fans have already forgotten that setback happened. Jeremy Lin — a Harvard graduate, Chinese-American and cast-off of two Western Conference teams — has arrived to save the Knicks’ season. And to serve as one of the league’s most powerful marketing vehicles.

Lin has played 80 mostly dazzling minutes over New York’s last two games — home wins over New Jersey and Utah. Those 80 minutes are more than he received all-told this season before Saturday’s game against the Nets. They represent nearly one-third of the time the Warriors gave him last season before dumping him in order to free up salary space in a failed pursuit of the Clippers’ DeAndre Jordan. They represent 80 more minutes than the Rockets, one of the league’s savviest franchises, gave Lin before waiving him on Christmas Eve.

And in those 80 minutes, Lin has scored 53 points, dished out 15 assists and led the Knicks to back-to-back wins in which they scored at a points-per-possession rate above the league average. New York had accomplished that feat in back-to-back games just once before “Lin-sanity” set in. He has attempted 9.3 free throws per 36 minutes as a Knick, a mark that would rank behind only LeBron James and Dwight Howard if Lin had enough minutes to qualify for such leaderboards. He has assisted on 47.2 percent of New York’s baskets while on the floor, trailing only presumed future Knick Steve Nash.
This is outrageous, and outrageously fun. But, look: Lin-sanity isn’t going to last, at least not at this efficiency level and in this volume of minutes. Carmelo Anthony and Davis will get healthy, Amar’e Stoudemire, going through a horrific family tragedy, will be back, and the opposition will get better. New Jersey’s sieve-like defense ranks last in points allowed per possession, and Utah is down to 21st after a relatively stingy start. The Nets are probably the worst pick-and-roll defensive team in the league, with various slow-footed big-man combinations that just can’t contain the play. They rank last in points per possession allowed on pick-and-rolls finished by the roll man, and 23rd on points surrendered when the ball-handler finishes the play, per Synergy Sports. Utah is below-average against the play, and the Knicks on Monday tortured poor Al Jefferson, who looked like he has usually during his career while defending outside the paint.

The Knicks won’t always be able to spread the floor with shooting-heavy small lineups, as they did Monday night because of personnel absences. With Steve Novak and Bill Walker logging heavy time at power forward, Utah had no second big man in position to rotate into the lane as Lin’s pick-and-roll partner darted toward the rim. The Knicks can use Stoudemire as a floor-spreader on Tyson Chandler pick-and-rolls, but the effect isn’t as dramatic. More defenses will go under picks, daring Lin to unleash his shaky jumper. The eight turnovers Lin committed on Monday will obviously stand as outliers in terms of raw number, but he has always been turnover-prone in his (brief) NBA career.

But you know what? Enough raining on the parade. This guy can run a pick-and-roll, and everyone around the league has long known that. He is crafty and patient, with a strong sense of timing and angles. He knows right away when he has the tiny sliver of space through which to spread a pocket pass, and he has good touch on those lobs to Chandler — even if some he threw Monday night were slow-paced enough that a defense with sounder rotations might have been able to tip them.

At least three times in the last two games, he has gotten himself open driving lanes on the same simple action with Chandler. On each possession, Chandler trailed the play as the last Knick to cross half court in delayed transition. Chandler jogged toward Lin, preparing to set a screen to Lin’s left. Three times, Lin noticed Chandler’s man preparing to jump the pick as Lin’s man slid toward the Chandler screen, ready to chase Lin over it. Three times, Lin seized upon the momentum of the two defenders and simply drove right, wrong-footing both of them on way to easy layup chances.

He doesn’t force passes, which is a major asset for a point guard. Lin’s turnovers in the NBA have come mostly on the dribble and from telegraphing obvious passes, rather than chasing ill-advised, highlight-reel dishes. In Golden State, Lin was actually more turnover-prone in spot-up situations where he played off the ball, took a pass and drove to the rim, according to Synergy Sports. Mike D’Antoni may use Lin that way when Anthony is healthy, but probably not as often as the Warriors did in limited minutes.

If the pick-and-roll doesn’t yield an easy pass to the roll man, Lin has usually taken a dribble or two in to draw the attention of a perimeter defender and then kicked the ball to a spot-up shooter in good position to go to work. That’s the smart, low-risk play, and both Novak and Walker benefited from it against Utah on Monday.

Again, Lin can do this. He might turn the ball over a bit too much and struggle from long range, though he hit a few mid-range shots against New Jersey when Deron Williams went under picks. Even there, Lin demonstrated some savvy by running one pick-and-roll, taking note of Williams’ decision to go under the pick, and then running a second one to get a few feet closer to the hoop.

Lin most realistically projects as a backup point guard, and if he can do that job effectively for 15 minutes per game, the Knicks have something. Remember, the Knicks’ offense ranked 24th in points per possession before Lin got major minutes. Stoudemire, an all-time great pick-and-roll finisher, had been removed from the play as Anthony and Toney Douglas struggled to get him the ball. New York isolated more than any team in the league despite being one of the two or three most inefficient isolation teams in the NBA. A banged-up Melo is shooting 29 percent on isolation plays and has attempted more shots via isolation than anyone but Kobe Bryant.

Change a dozen of those possessions over 15 minutes a night from bad isolations or non-threatening pick-and-rolls into something else? That makes a difference in a team’s efficiency. It makes a difference when a team is 10-15, struggling to find any consistency and battling the Bucks for the final playoff seed. Heck, in a shortened season, Lin has already made a difference by leading the Knicks to two needed home wins. Being 10-15 is a lot better for a team’s playoff odds than being 8-17 off two losses in winnable home games as we breeze past the one-third mark of this crazy season.

Lin can probably continue to make a difference. He won’t explode like this for 40 minutes a night, but he doesn’t have to.

Ratking
02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
as a Greek-American, Jeremy Lin's success motivates me.

Peck
02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
While Linmania is running wild I would like to say this.

Get back to me in about 3 weeks after the rest of the NBA has scouted and prepared for him.

I'm not saying he will falter but let's see if he is as efficient and effective once he is no longer the new guy that nobody has tape on.

It's a nice story and he looks like he could be a good player but let's see how he adJusts to the adJustments.

(Weird, I have some damn virus on my machine that only allows me to use capital "J's". If I use lower case "J's" my machine starts playing some neuro dvd player thingy.)

Sookie
02-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Kid just went yard on the Jazz tonight. 28 and 8, although he almost got the bad triple double with 8 TOs. I didn't watch the game, so I'm just going to assume they were perfect dimes that bounced off his teammates hands!

Sookie called this last year, too, when she noted that he was the best player on the floor when Harvard played UCONN. No idea if he can keep this up, but he's already earned his contract.

He's got a Frank Vogel effect too. It's hard not to like him. (As I said, he had the entire Uconn student section hoping for a Harvard Win by the end of the game. And he completely stole the show against Wall)

His game reminded me of a smaller Ginobili, without the flopping. I'll be interested in seeing if he can be effective long term, but I still stand by "talented and raw."

That being said, I've also consistently stated that "systems" can make players look a certain way. IE: DC being pass first in New Orleans. D'Antonie's system, always makes the point guard (assuming you have a point guard) look better than what said player is.

So I don't think he's a 25 and 8 guy on a consistent basis. I do think he's got the talent (and brains) to be a Jason Terry combo guard off the bench type of player.

Major Cold
02-07-2012, 01:45 PM
I remember when Tyler got on the floor and teams couldn't matchup and stop him. Then he was scouted and stopped.

I remember when Nate Robinson lit it up for NYK, then he got scouted. It is exciting nonetheless. But sustainability is what separates the hot players from the stars.

vnzla81
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Oh yeah I agree that he needs to keep doing this for a long period of time before going crazy about him, one thing I would say is that he has a lot of the things I keep talking about that point guards need in the NBA, floor vision, passing ability, been able to run a simple pick and roll without making it look like brain surgery.

And also someway somehow he knows were his teammates are going to be even though he haven't play that long with them, so far so good I think.

Nuntius
02-07-2012, 01:54 PM
as a Greek-American

Really? :D

Pacer Fan
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Shadow ninja hasn't attacked a good defense yet. No one has exposed his shadow, when they do, his shadow will return and he will go back to training.

vnzla81
02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Asian Steve Nash :laugh:

Jeremy Lin (New York)

Could I be an Asian Steve Nash?

John Hollinger (2:18 PM)

I actually see very little similarly between the two players. Lin plays more like a cross between Ramon Sessions and Jason Kidd -- biggish point guard, iffy shooter, fills box score in multiple categories, ball hawk. I'm glad the Knicks gave him a chance because I thought he could be a successful backup PG, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he averages less than 28 points a game from this point forward. In particular, I want to see how he does when teams keep going under screens on him and making him shoot.

judicata
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm certain he's not a 28/8 guy as well, but I'm enjoying this while it lasts. I will say that the pick and roll does not require elite size or athleticism, just an excellent understanding of spacing, a ironclad handle, savvy passing, and the ability to finish at the rim. A jumpshot helps tremendously. I think he's got a chance.

avoidingtheclowns
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
mySynergySports
Knicks Pick and Roll #'s Pre-Lin: 13 Possessions/G 41.6% FG, Small Sample w/Lin: 18.5 Possessions/G 45.8% FG
4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/#!/mySynergySports/status/166908029663588352)

Ken Berger
So Elias says Jeremy Lin (28 points, eight assists) had the most points/assists in first career start since (gulp) Isiah in '81.
3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/#!/KBergCBS/status/166914464002744320)

Zach Lowe
Jeremy Lin has assisted on 47.2% of NYK's baskets while on the court. Among rotation players, only Steve Nash his a higher mark. #Linsanity
3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/#!/ZachLowe_SI/status/166916823818829825)

AesopRockOn
02-07-2012, 03:28 PM
as a Greek-American, Jeremy Lin's success motivates me.

As a half-Japanese American, I'm glad that white and black people have another dangerous Asian driver they have to worry about.

Unclebuck
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
He looked pretty good to me last night. Sure teams will adjust to him, but the Jazz made an adjustmet to cut off his right hand and he still seemd to do pretty well.

vnzla81
02-08-2012, 08:48 PM
18 and 8 for Lin already today.

vnzla81
02-08-2012, 08:51 PM
:laugh:

Bill Simmons @sportsguy33
Details I'm trading in my Tebowner for a Jeremection.

beezer615
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I told you all about this last year after his amazing job in Summer League ball, but nobody listened....... now he's got 3 straight games of 23+pts, 8+assists. This dudes a gamer.

BornReady
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I told you all about this last year after his amazing job in Summer League ball, but nobody listened....... now he's got 3 straight games of 23+pts, 8+assists. This dudes a gamer.

as excited as we all get about summer league...

its still summer league

vnzla81
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM

pacers4ever is that you?

Ratking
02-08-2012, 09:59 PM
guest starring, Steve Novak.

Pacer Fan
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
pacers4ever is that you?

Pacer4ever doesn't use punctuation! But I see why you say that...:laugh:

Sookie
02-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Why don't people think he's athletic?

<embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/LiwSUxszuN0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

vnzla81
02-08-2012, 10:35 PM
23, 10 and 4 for Lin tonight by the way and yes he is still making great passes.

BornReady
02-08-2012, 10:46 PM

<embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/LiwSUxszuN0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

thats a pretty normal dunk in my opinion, and nobody even tried to stop him

LoneGranger33
02-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I hope Lin's NBA success - short-lived or not - inspires more Asian-Americans to play competitive basketball. I fear that the lack of Asian-Americans on the college and pro levels has discouraged many talented players from pursuing the game.

I don't, however, have any desire to see any more Harvard kids succeed in the NBA. Lin and his teammates beat my guys three straight seasons, and I will never forget that.

PGisthefuture
02-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Jeremy Lin= Asian Persuasion.

PGisthefuture
02-09-2012, 01:39 AM

Hey Jeremy, your band-aid is falling off....

beezer615
02-09-2012, 01:54 AM
as excited as we all get about summer league...

its still summer league

Looks like something from the summer translated

Asher99
02-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Lin is making teams look like they aren't even trying out there. He get to the rim so easy it looks like a layup drill. Will be fun to see how long he and Steve Novak can keep their level of play up for.

bphil
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
I can't think of anything that would be more beautiful, or that would define the term "poetic justice" more appropriately, than if after all the BS Carmelo put Denver through in order to become the star in NYC he ended up being an afterthought to an asian point guard from Harvard.

Please, please let that happen.

Dgreenwell3
02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
They keep saying Lin is "an unknown" maybe it's just me but a guy who had a story about him in sports illustrated isn't an unknown

ECKrueger
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
They keep saying Lin is "an unknown" maybe it's just me but a guy who had a story about him in sports illustrated

I feel like I am missing a part of

bphil
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I feel like I am missing a part of

There's nothing missing, clearly he's just

LA_Confidential
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Imagine how Tony Douglass must feel right about now.

Kstat
02-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Imagine how Tony Douglass must feel right about now.

...about the same as everyone else has been feeling about him for 2 years.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 08:42 PM
10 and 3 for Lin already.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 09:13 PM
18 and 5 for Lin in half time.

righteouscool
02-10-2012, 09:21 PM
My first time really watching him. That spin move was a thing of beauty.

Sookie
02-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I thought he would beat up on the Lakers. He's going up against Fisher, and the Lakers are terrible when defending the PnR. EVERY point guard goes off on the Lakers.

xBulletproof
02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
We'll see how he does if Kobe guards him in the 2nd half, which I think he will.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 09:25 PM
We'll see how he does if Kobe guards him in the 2nd half, which I think he will.

Kobe did few times.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 10:28 PM
34 and 6 for Lin right now.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Tom Haberstroh @tomhaberstroh
Details No Knick has scored 38 points on the Lakers at MSG in 25 years. Until Jeremy Lin tonight.

Ownagedood
02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Tonights the first I've seen of him... I can't believe it... not sure if it will last, but he looks like Wade driving down the lane.

graphic-er
02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
MFer is about go superstar status.

judicata
02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
"I know nothing about Lin," Lakers coach Mike Brown explained in Boston on Thursday night. "I've never seen him play, never watched any tapes on him. But I will."

"I don't know anything about him," Kobe Bryant added. "I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about. I've heard about him, but I have never seen him. I will watch some tape though. I can tell you that."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7562157/stephen-smith-new-york-knicks-now-see-jeremy-lin-all-about

You know him now, fellas?

Trophy
02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Lin is such a smart player. I always thought he was a great ball handler and could be a nice rotation player. I never thought he'd be starting and putting up those kind of numbers.

Although, I bet when Carmelo comes back, the Knicks will start sucking and there go Lin's touches.

rel
02-10-2012, 11:09 PM
this is getting ridiculous.
http://oi39.tinypic.com/f1xnvd.jpg

...buuuuuut, i'm not complaining. He's on my fantasy team B)

cdash
02-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I love it. I don't know if he can sustain it but I don't care. This is a great story.

Sookie
02-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I love it. I don't know if he can sustain it but I don't care. This is a great story.

He's shooting percentage should come back to earth (it's around 60 percent right now) but he gets a lot of his points from driving to the basket, so it should stay pretty high.

Other than that, the other stuff...I mean..team's aren't going to be able to take away the fact that he's a really smart player, a really good player, really quick, really good footwork etc.

He'll need to work on his defense, shooting (which runs hot and cold) and tighten up his dribble - all stuff he can work on, but he looks like he's a damn good player.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Jeremy Lin is another player that proves that you don't need to have 3 years with the same coach and team to learn how to play point guard, like I always say, "you either have it or you don't" and Lin has it, floor vision, passing ability, he knows how to control the offense, yep he is better at playing the point than either one of our PG's.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 11:30 PM

I don't think New York says yes to that trade :-p

cdash
Jeremy Lin is another player that proves that you don't need to have 3 years with the same coach and team to learn how to play point guard, like I always say, "you either have it or you don't" and Lin has it, floor vision, passing ability, he knows how to control the offense, yep he is better at playing the point than either one of our PG's.

I'd love to see how good Darren Collison would look in D'Antoni's offense. How quickly we forget how gaudy his stats were his rookie season in a PG friendly offense.

TheDavisBrothers
DVRed the game, just watching it now, the Knicks first 16 points were either Lin scoring or assists

kidthecat
02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
This dude is a nice story, for now. Wonder how long it'll last.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd love to see how good Darren Collison would look in D'Antoni's offense. How quickly we forget how gaudy his stats were his rookie season in a PG friendly offense.

Yep I keep hearing the same thing but how many point guards have been trough the Mike Dantoni system were only Nash was the only one able to perform it? even Phoenix had DC's older brother in Aaron Brooks and he didn't look that good either.

Edit: By the way, Lin is playing with a bunch of scrubs and he is making them better, call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that if you replace him with either one of our point guards they don't win those games.

cdash
02-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Yep I keep hearing the same thing but how many point guards have been trough the Mike Dantoni system were only Nash was the only one able to perform it? even Phoenix had DC's older brother in Aaron Brooks and he didn't look that good either.

Nearly every point guard who plays in D'Antoni sees a spike in their numbers. Chris Duhon, Raymond Felton, Nash (still playing in D'Antoni's system)...all had career years under D'Antoni.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Steve Nash @SteveNash
Details If you love sports you have to love what Jeremy Lin is doing. Getting an opportunity and exploding!!

cdash
02-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Edit: By the way, Lin is playing with a bunch of scrubs and he is making them better, call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that if you replace him with either one of our point guards they don't win those games.

With pleasure: You're crazy. But not for the reason you listed :-p

Sookie
02-10-2012, 11:46 PM

Well no, because he's more talented than both of our point guards. But if you put Lin, with say, Mike Brown's offense, he wouldn't have nearly the numbers he's having now. Meanwhile, both of our point guards would see improved stats playing in D'Antonie's system.

vnzla81
02-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Nearly every point guard who plays in D'Antoni sees a spike in their numbers. Chris Duhon, Raymond Felton, Nash (still playing in D'Antoni's system)...all had career years under D'Antoni.

Yep but many fail the system because they are not pass first point guards, they don't have the floor vision and passing ability to perform the system the right way, as a Phoenix follower I remember them trying and trying to find a backup point guard for Nash and they haven't been able to find it yet.

That system it's not as easy as people think in fact that system is harder than any other system because you have to make multiple decisions in a fraction of seconds, the point guard needs to have a high basketball IQ and needs to be able to put the ball at the right place and at the right time, there is a reason why there is only one Steve Nash.

cdash
02-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Yep but many fail the system because they are not pass first point guards, they don't have the floor vision and passing ability to perform the system the right way, as a Phoenix follower I remember them trying and trying to find a backup point guard for Nash and they haven't been able to find it yet.

That system it's not as easy as people think in fact that system is harder than any other system because you have to make multiple decisions in a fraction of seconds, the point guard needs to have a high basketball IQ and needs to be able to put the ball at the right place and at the right time, there is a reason why there is only one Steve Nash.

The first part I'll go with. The second part I won't. I'm bowing out of this. I don't want to argue against Jeremy Lin. He's too much damn fun.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Well no, because he's more talented than both of our point guards. But if you put Lin, with say, Mike Brown's offense, he wouldn't have nearly the numbers he's having now. Meanwhile, both of our point guards would see improved stats playing in D'Antonie's system.

Shouldn't our point guards be better than him because they have more time and experience in the NBA? how is he more talented? Lin had a bunch of coaches and even went to the D League, how he knows how to play the point in less than a week of practice? the system? you mean the system that tells the point guard to make hard decisions and hard passes all the time?

Sookie
02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
ooo interesting facts, Lin has 89 points in his first three starts, this is the most by anyone since 1976

immortality
02-11-2012, 12:03 AM

Duhon is a pretty mediocre point guard, and Felton is probably as good as Darren Collison, and both Duhon and Felton had career years with D'Antoni. Even with a small sample size, its a very safe bet that if Collison played with the Knicks he would have career highs.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/185/nickcage.jpeg

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 12:09 AM
The first part I'll go with. The second part I won't. I'm bowing out of this. I don't want to argue against Jeremy Lin. He's too much damn fun.

The second part is true though, don't you think that if the system was such an easy system for point guards there would be more than one Steve Nash? if the system was so easy why the other point guards in the Knicks couldn't do anything with it? again the point guard in that system needs to be a really smart player with a high basketball IQ, passing ability and floor vision to be able to make the system work.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Details Sources w/knowledge of New York's thinking say Knicks were leaning strongly toward releasing Lin before his breakout game last SAT vs. Nets

Sookie
02-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Shouldn't our point guards be better than him because they have more time and experience in the NBA? how is he more talented? Lin had a bunch of coaches and even went to the D League, how he knows how to play the point in less than a week of practice? the system? you mean the system that tells the point guard to make hard decisions and hard passes all the time?

ugh..because some players are more talented than others?

There's a difference between having talent, and developing that talent into skills.

He's got more talent than DC, AJ, and GH (if we're counting him as a point guard) He really does. But his statistics are being helped by the system he's playing in.

So as I said, could they do what Lin is doing right now, to the extent of it. Probably not. Would their statistics improve. My guess is definitely.

DC's stats were pretty ridiculous when he played in Chris Paul's system. This particular system we play in, isn't going to create those stats. A lot of our baskets come from post ups (no assists) or off of ball movement.

However, you can usually watch a player and figure out whether they are a product of their system or whether they are actually very talented. As someone said, Duhon had a career year with D'Antonie. He's not that great. Lin's got talent. He needs to improve in areas, IMO (areas that he can easily improve in) but he's got a lot of talent.

Don't know why you're arguing about it with me though, I was on the Lin bandwagon 2 years ago. :P Looks like I can forgive Jerome Dyson for getting killed by "that Harvard kid" though.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Duhon is a pretty mediocre point guard, and Felton is probably as good as Darren Collison, and both Duhon and Felton had career years with D'Antoni. Even with a small sample size, its a very safe bet that if Collison played with the Knicks he would have career highs.

Yep a career year for Duhon, he went from scoring like 8ppg to 11ppg and from 5apg to 7apg, wow..........

And Felton career high with the slow offense in Charlotte was 14 and 7 and he went to average 17 and 9 in the NY system.

immortality
02-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Yep a career year for Duhon, he went from scoring like 8ppg to 11ppg and from 5apg to 7apg, wow..........

And Felton career high with the slow offense in Charlotte was 14 and 7 and he went to average 17 and 9 in the NY system.

So yes, they did have career years.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 12:27 AM
ugh..because some players are more talented than others?

There's a difference between having talent, and developing that talent into skills.

He's got more talent than DC, AJ, and GH (if we're counting him as a point guard) He really does. But his statistics are being helped by the system he's playing in.

So as I said, could they do what Lin is doing right now, to the extent of it. Probably not. Would their statistics improve. My guess is definitely.

DC's stats were pretty ridiculous when he played in Chris Paul's system. This particular system we play in, isn't going to create those stats. A lot of our baskets come from post ups (no assists) or off of ball movement.

However, you can usually watch a player and figure out whether they are a product of their system or whether they are actually very talented. As someone said, Duhon had a career year with D'Antonie. He's not that great. Lin's got talent. He needs to improve in areas, IMO (areas that he can easily improve in) but he's got a lot of talent.

Don't know why you're arguing about it with me though, I was on the Lin bandwagon 2 years ago. :P Looks like I can forgive Jerome Dyson for getting killed by "that Harvard kid" though.

I'm arguing with you because you and other people keep making excuses in why our point guards don't have floor vision, passing ability and many other things that are need it from the position and instead keeps telling me that "our poor guys have only been in the NBA for 3 years and had two coaches in the process" Jeremy Lin and a bunch of other point guards in the NBA are crushing all those excuses.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 12:35 AM
So yes, they did have career years.

I'm pretty sure that the crappy team Duhon had has more to do with his career high than the system, somebody needed to score on that horrible team.

And Felton went from a team who's coach didn't trust him to one were he was needed, yes the system helps but not as much as you think.

Trader Joe
02-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Lin's explosion over the past 4 games has to be one of the most random and unexpected events in recent sports history. It will be interesting to see when it ends. Melo and Amare better hope it ends before they return to the Knicks. I keep going back to the 7 minutes he played against Boston the game before this stretch where he looked like he had never even seen a basketball before. It's like that movie from the 90's where the kid falls and hurts his arm and suddenly he's a major league pitcher because of something that happened from the injury. Just totally random. Wonder when the floor is gonna drop out.

immortality
02-11-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that the crappy team Duhon had has more to do with his career high than the system, somebody needed to score on that horrible team.

And Felton went from a team who's coach didn't trust him to one were he was needed, yes the system helps but not as much as you think.

Okay then why has Felton struggled to put the same stats in Denver and Portland.

I am not saying Jermey Lin is bad, but your implying that Darren Collison is worse than him is probably a reach. I would love to get a star point guard like Deron Williams as much as the next guy, but to say that DC would fail compared to Jermey Lin in a PG friendly system is ridiculous.

judicata
02-11-2012, 12:44 AM

vnzla81 is another poster that proves that we can't have nice things, like threads about emerging stars, without someone turning it into a vehicle to trash our players.

Give it a rest. There is literally no one with internet access that does not know your position on Collison.

Lin broke every human in the known universe's ankles tonight with that spin move, and there are more posts on this thread about Darren than that move by a factor of 10. That is a tragedy.

Sookie
02-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm arguing with you because you and other people keep making excuses in why our point guards don't have floor vision, passing ability and many other things that are need it from the position and instead keeps telling me that "our poor guys have only been in the NBA for 3 years and had two coaches in the process" Jeremy Lin and a bunch of other point guards in the NBA are crushing all those excuses.

I guess my argument has always been what DC lacks, he can learn, in order to be a pretty good starting point guard.

Yes, some people learn it before others. And Lin's the exception, not the rule.

judicata
02-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Lin's explosion over the past 4 games has to be one of the most random and unexpected events in recent sports history. It will be interesting to see when it ends. Melo and Amare better hope it ends before they return to the Knicks. I keep going back to the 7 minutes he played against Boston the game before this stretch where he looked like he had never even seen a basketball before. It's like that movie from the 90's where the kid falls and hurts his arm and suddenly he's a major league pitcher because of something that happened from the injury. Just totally random. Wonder when the floor is gonna drop out.

Trader Joe, I thought you peaked with your Y U NO post, but referencing Rookie of the Year moves you even further ahead of the pack.

Ownagedood
02-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Ugh, why do ppl have to ruin a good thing? I'm having fun watching him. Why do you have to go and start talking bad about our guys because of him? Just leave it for what it is. He's a diamond in the rough, multiple teams had him and did nothing with him.. suddenly he gets a chance and is the next MVP. (exaggerating, but still.) I'm also getting very tired of defending our PG's. They are what they are. We don't have All Star caliber PG's, so what, they are pretty darn good anyways. Our offense isn't friendly to PG's. Post ups and ball movement, not PG's running around doing what he wants, setting ppl up.

Lets enjoy Lin in his Superstar moment.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 01:12 AM
vnzla81 is another poster that proves that we can't have nice things, like threads about emerging stars, without someone turning it into a vehicle to trash our players.

Give it a rest. There is literally no one with internet access that does not know your position on Collison.

Lin broke every human in the known universe's ankles tonight with that spin move, and there are more posts on this thread about Darren than that move by a factor of 10. That is a tragedy.

Yep any time somebody brings some true to PD means "trashing our players"

Heisenberg
02-11-2012, 01:13 AM
I feel gross for feeling like I NEED to watch a Knicks game to try and put this kid in context.

Either way, Knick or not, I hope he keeps it up. He's a great story and seems like a great kid.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 01:14 AM
I guess my argument has always been what DC lacks, he can learn, in order to be a pretty good starting point guard.

Yes, some people learn it before others. And Lin's the exception, not the rule.

Are you sure Lin's the exception? I call :bs: on that one. How many coaches and years he has in the NBA again?

Dgreenwell3
02-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Are you sure Lin's the exception? I call :bs: on that one. How many coaches and years he has in the NBA again?

That's why the phrase exists...jeremy Lin is an exception to the rule of having to learn the game but the system helps him alot...whenever you can be ball dominant and run pick and rolls all day it isn't rocket science. Lin is a rare talent where he probably isnt a superstar talent but his talent so perfectly matches the system it puts him in a great situation

xBulletproof
02-11-2012, 01:31 AM

The problem isn't what you perceive to be truth. It's not being able to watch anything without you immediately running here to go "OMG Hez better thin what we gotz!!!" every 5 minutes. I don't even care if it's true or not, it's quick to grate on someone's nerves.

I honestly think you could have been a Bulls fan in the 90's and you'd have just spent all your time whining that they didn't have a true PG, or center.

"Whoamygods! Wez don't have Stockton! He's a true pg, screw BJ Armstrong! And that Hakeemz guy is awesome!! Doom to Bill wennington!!!"

Give it a rest sometime. It's overbearing.

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 01:31 AM
I'm torn between watching or taping this or my fellow Asian stud Jeremy Lin

Okay, I've noticed this for several days now and it was even in the first post of this thread. I question these racial/etho-centric qualifiers like "Asian Power"

Lets get real, if I said....

"I'm torn between watching or taping this or my fellow Caucasian stud Dirk Nowitzky"

Most people would think less of a comment like that.

Everyone loves this guy's story...he's literally putting the Knicks on his back. Its got nothing to do with being Asian.

Maybe its just a pet peeve of mine, I grew up around Asian families, and many of my oldest friends are Korean, Chinese, and Filipino. So maybe I've just been over exposed to the whole Asian pride thing.

:buddies:

Heisenberg
02-11-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm sure it broaches on grounds that Hicks and UB and the guys have no interest in this board discussing, but him being an Asian American that's not some freak of nature giant has a LOT to do with the hype. And there's nothing wrong with that, or fellow Asian Americans being proud of him for it. He's what, like the 5th guy of Asian ancestry to play in the NBA? Go all out.

immortality
02-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Okay, I've noticed this for several days now and it was even in the first post of this thread. I question these racial/etho-centric qualifiers like "Asian Power"

"I'm torn between watching or taping this or my fellow Caucasian stud Dirk Nowitzky"

Everyone loves this guy's story...he's literally putting the Knicks on his back. Its got nothing to do with being Asian.

Maybe its just a pet peeve of mine, I grew up around Asian families, and many of my oldest friends are Korean, Chinese, and Filipino. So maybe I've just been over exposed to the whole Asian pride thing.

He is the first asian-american on a basketball team, and playing on one of the biggest stages in the NBA at madison square, so its kind of reasonable.

Also this thread should be dedicated to the best Lin Memes on the internet.

http://i.imgur.com/ukK2G.png

Sookie
02-11-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm sure it broaches on grounds that Hicks and UB and the guys have no interest in this board discussing, but him being an Asian American that's not some freak of nature giant has a LOT to do with the hype. And there's nothing wrong with that, or fellow Asian Americans being proud of him for it. He's what, like the 5th guy of Asian ancestry to play in the NBA? Go all out.

I don't think so.

I think the hype comes from the fact that he never got a scholarship (despite being the CA player of the year) didn't get drafted, and got waived two times...and has carried the Knicks during this four game stretch, averaging something like 28 and 8. Oh, and he went to Harvard.

Anyone would have gotten hype after that.

I think the fact that he's Asian, contributes to him never getting a bball scholarship, and continuing to get cut by NBA teams without really getting a chance before this.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 01:40 AM
The problem isn't what you perceive to be truth. It's not being able to watch anything without you immediately running here to go "OMG Hez better thin what we gotz!!!" every 5 minutes. I don't even care if it's true or not, it's quick to grate on someone's nerves.

I honestly think you could have been a Bulls fan in the 90's and you'd have just spent all your time whining that they didn't have a true PG, or center.

"Whoamygods! Wez don't have Stockton! He's a true pg, screw BJ Armstrong! And that Hakeemz guy is awesome!! Doom to Bill wennington!!!"

Give it a rest sometime. It's overbearing.

I won't give it a rest because I'm right and you guys have always been wrong all this time, all the bs excuses that you guys have been telling me all this time are not working so let's attack the messenger I get it.

judicata
02-11-2012, 01:44 AM

You read my post and think that is the main point? I'll rely on other folks to bring me the true, like the people who can post things under the appropriate threads.

Heisenberg
02-11-2012, 01:45 AM
I don't think so.

I think the hype comes from the fact that he never got a scholarship (despite being the CA player of the year) didn't get drafted, and got waived two times...and has carried the Knicks during this four game stretch, averaging something like 28 and 8. Oh, and he went to Harvard.

Anyone would have gotten hype after that.

I think the fact that he's Asian, contributes to him never getting a bball scholarship, and continuing to get cut by NBA team.s
Agreed, I'm not saying it's JUST because he's some Asian kid. If he got drafted in the 1st round or something the hype wouldn't be this loud. You're right, just his generic backstory regardless of race has a lot to do with it. But him being Asian absolutely does as well in my opinion. It'd be interesting to see what would've happened if GS or Houston had kept him and the same scenario played out.

Sookie
02-11-2012, 01:45 AM
I won't give it a rest because I'm right and you guys have always been wrong all this time, all the bs excuses that you guys have been telling me all this time are not working so let's attack the messenger I get it.

Okay fine, than obviously we should get rid of Lance and PG, because they aren't consistently good (or in Lance's case, rarely) We need to ditch Tyler too, for the same reason.

And we should have gotten rid of Hibbert, because he'd never become an All Star, because players don't learn and grow in the NBA. Oh wait.

That Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups, will never amount to anything. Crap, wrong again.

It's ridiculous. Yes, it usually takes point guards some time to learn their system and play well. Jeremy Lin, although IMO is actually more talented than DC, is an exception to "the rule" in MANY ways. This is one of them.

BTW: It's pretty clear DC has improved from last year to this. And we're doing quite well this year, so give DC a break.

immortality
02-11-2012, 01:48 AM
http://www.egotripland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Jeremy-Lin-Asians-Drive.jpg

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 01:52 AM
He is the first asian-american on a basketball team, and playing on one of the biggest stages in the NBA at madison square, so its kind of reasonable.

Also this thread should be dedicated to the best Lin Memes on the internet.

no really, he isnt the first.

Wataru Misaka, Raymond Townsend, Corey Gaines, Rex Walters, and Robert Swift.

He is just the first one who might be really good in a really long time.

judicata
02-11-2012, 01:53 AM
I like Lin because he's Asian and I'm not apologetic about it. People who walk across boundaries should be noted. I like Dirk because he's taken his euro Charmin softness and crafted it into a weapon that inflicts a million papercuts. I like Tebow because he walks the walk, even though I'm agnostic. I like girls who crash Old Boys Club parties, male countertenors, and short basketball players. I like the Pacers, who only have an All-Star because bigs stopped playing with their back to the basket 15 years ago.

I'll leave it at that since anything else will make Hicks cranky.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Okay fine, than obviously we should get rid of Lance and PG, because they aren't consistently good (or in Lance's case, rarely) We need to ditch Tyler too, for the same reason.

And we should have gotten rid of Hibbert, because he'd never become an All Star, because players don't learn and grow in the NBA. Oh wait.

That Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups, will never amount to anything. Crap, wrong again.

It's ridiculous. Yes, it usually takes point guards some time to learn their system and play well. Jeremy Lin, although IMO is actually more talented than DC, is an exception to "the rule" in MANY ways. This is one of them.

BTW: It's pretty clear DC has improved from last year to this. And we're doing quite well this year, so give DC a break.

Once again you keep putting words in my mouth I'm not even saying that Lin is better than DC as a player, all I'm saying is that many of you guys keep telling me that point guards can learn how to pass and get floor vision with time and the same coaching situation for few years, when in reality you all know that that is BS.

Sookie
02-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Once again you keep putting words in my mouth I'm not even saying that Lin is better than DC as a player, all I'm saying is that many of you guys keep telling me that point guards can learn how to pass and get floor vision with time and the same coaching situation for few years, when in reality you all know that that is BS.

All we've said is that DC is young, and can improve. His court vision has improved this season, btw. It's a skill, players can improve at pretty much any skill, IMO.

immortality
02-11-2012, 02:02 AM
no really, he isnt the first.

Wataru Misaka, Raymond Townsend, Corey Gaines, Rex Walters, and Robert Swift.

He is just the first one who might be really good in a really long time.

Man some of those guys are so old, and the ones that recent aren't really Asian-Americans. Usually Asian-American is a person whose parents are both ethnically asian. Otherwise you might as well call Tiger Woods Asian-American.

http://t.qkme.me/35zxqv.jpg

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 02:05 AM
All we've said is that DC is young, and can improve. His court vision has improved this season, btw. It's a skill, players can improve at pretty much any skill, IMO.

Here is where we disagree and guys like Lin,Rubio and many others prove that I'm right, players are born with passing ability and floor vision that's not an skill you can learn.

immortality
02-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Here is where we disagree and guys like Lin,Rubio and many others prove that I'm right, players are born with passing ability and floor vision that's not an skill you can learn.

So you are saying DC didn't have passing ability when he playing with the Hornets and averaging nearly 8 assists a game?

Sookie
02-11-2012, 02:12 AM

No, some people are born with talent. Some have to work hard to reach a high level of skill, and the best have the talent and are hard workers.

I'm not saying DC will ever see the court as well as Nash, CP3, Rubio etc..I'm saying he can improve.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 02:15 AM
So you are saying DC didn't have passing ability when he playing with the Hornets and averaging nearly 8 assists a game?

Like I've said many times APG doesn't mean that a player can make passes trough traffic or has floor vision, somebody also commented that NO is known for helping their players stats.

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Man some of those guys are so old, and the ones that recent aren't really Asian-Americans. Usually Asian-American is a person whose parents are both ethnically asian. Otherwise you might as well call Tiger Woods Asian-American.

http://t.qkme.me/35zxqv.jpg

Man, I feel sorry for Rex Walters who last played for the Heat in 2000. Gotta be atleast a pure bred mutt for it to count. LOL!

immortality
02-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Like I've said many times APG doesn't mean that a player can make passes trough traffic or has floor vision, somebody also commented that NO is known for helping their players stats.

If you watched Jermey Lin most of his assists came through pick and rolls, and that was how DC got his assists when playing with West.

TheDavisBrothers
02-11-2012, 02:20 AM

If you really think being asian has nothing to do with his popularity then your clueless. Honestly race is not a huge issue with me, esp considering I was adopted and have a completely white family, other then my sister, and don't really have any asian friends, but with that said it is nice to see an Asian american player, who's parents are both asian, and has played in the last 25 years lol. I've never been a huge "asian pride" guy, but I don't have any problem with the celebration of races, or even some humorous stereotypes, and the such. I tend to tread on the ligther side of life.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
No, some people are born with talent. Some have to work hard to reach a high level of skill, and the best have the talent and are hard workers.

I'm not saying DC will ever see the court as well as Nash, CP3, Rubio etc..I'm saying he can improve.

OK so how come similar players to DC never got to improve in that department? Mo Williams, TJ Ford, Aaron Brooks, Terry, etc, etc.

I'm sorry but I can't remember one player that didn't have it and now he does.

Sookie
02-11-2012, 02:23 AM
OK so how come similar players to DC never got to improve in that department? Mo Williams, TJ Ford, Aaron Brooks, Terry, etc, etc.

?

DC's court vision has improved from last year to this.

He's not going to ever be an elite PG. Okay. But he's certainly capable of being a good starting PG. In fact, I'd argue he already is.

immortality
02-11-2012, 02:27 AM

Both Mo Williams and Terry are Shooting Guards rather than Point guards aka George Hill type players who play better off-ball.

TJ Ford and Brooks are also more scoring guards, I don't know why they didn't improve, but it was maybe the fact that they liked to find their own shot first.

AesopRockOn
02-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Usually Asian-American is a person whose parents are both ethnically asian. Otherwise you might as well call Tiger Woods Asian-American.

So Woods isn't black either? He and every other mixed-race person in the world is some cultureless humanoid? Why can't the posters in this thread just let it be about a dude having the best week of his ****ing life instead of trying to bring race and the Pacers into it? :shakehead

immortality
02-11-2012, 02:32 AM
So Woods isn't black either? He and every other mixed-race person in the world is some cultureless humanoid? Why can't the posters in this thread just let it be about a dude having the best week of his ****ing life instead of trying to bring race and the Pacers into it? :shakehead

You totally took my statement out of context.

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 02:35 AM
If you really think being asian has nothing to do with his popularity then your clueless.

I know that's why Asians are paying attention to it, but thats not why his story is so compelling.

Like Sookie said earlier, its because he went to Harvard, went undrafted. Got cut from the Rosters a couple times, and ended up in the D-League up until a month ago. It would be the same if he was White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc...

That's the great thing about sports.

AesopRockOn
02-11-2012, 02:42 AM
You totally took my statement out of context.

How? :confused:

judicata
02-11-2012, 02:46 AM
I know that's why Asians are paying attention to it, but thats not why his story is so compelling.

Like Sookie said earlier, its because he went to Harvard, went undrafted. Got cut from the Rosters a couple times, and ended up in the D-League up until a month ago. It would be the same if he was White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc...

As Sookie also noted, the events you find compelling and his race are intertwined.

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 03:09 AM
As Sookie also noted, the events you find compelling and his race are intertwined.

Eh I'm not buying that completely....lots of players all over the country go unnoticed by college recruiters for a variety of reasons. I read he was skinny and underdeveloped for a 6-3 guard. That might have had something to do with it. Most big programs look at guys who physically look the part of a top flight PG. Fast, Athletic, etc...College Recruiting is a fast paced business, if you don't impress them immediately, they are on to another prospect.

judicata
02-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Eh I'm not buying that completely....lots of players all over the country go unnoticed by college recruiters for a variety of reasons. I read he was skinny and underdeveloped for a 6-3 guard. That might have had something to do with it. Most big programs look at guys who physically look the part of a top flight PG. Fast, Athletic, etc...College Recruiting is a fast paced business, if you don't impress them immediately, they are on to another prospect.

Considering where he grew up, his high school exploits, and the state of Pac-12 basketball, I'm perplexed.

oxxo
02-11-2012, 03:43 AM

I think it's naive to think his race had nothing to do with him being basically ignored every step of the way. He led his team to a state championship in CALIFORNIA. Any other guy (of a different race) would have gotten a much harder look.

Then we get to the fact that he played extremely well in college AND completely schooled John Wall in the summer league... yet no NBA teams gave him a chance. I mean the only reason he got a shot EVENTUALLY is because the Knicks were laughable at PG playing a bunch of SGs (not even 'combo guards') at the position.

Kstat
02-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Ever see a Chinese guard that was any good? Me neither.

I can see why he didn't crack previous NBA rotations over more established guys, but there is nothing more stuck on tradition than NCAA basketball. It's no different than Steve Nash not getting any hype in highschool because he was short and Canadian.

Heisenberg
02-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Ever see a Chinese guard that was any good? Me neither.

I can see why he didn't crack previous NBA rotations over more established guys, but there is nothing more stuck on tradition than NCAA basketball. It's no different than Steve Nash not getting any hype in highschool because he was short and Canadian.
I don't mean to disparage Canada, and their amateur leagues have come a LONG way since the early 90s, but it is pretty different. Lin won POY for his division in California. NCAA recruiting was also a lot different in the early/mid 90s when Nash would've been getting offers, the budgets were a lot smaller, the internet recruiting networks didn't exist. You really couldn't blame Coach X from Division 1 school for never hearing of Steve Nash tearing up Canada as a teenager, and if he did, not caring.

But Lin was seen and just disregarded. Unless you're balling in a 3rd world country these days people will find you, and if possible get you stateside.

Sherlock
02-11-2012, 05:35 AM

Does Chauncey Billups count as one "get it latter"?

CreekShow
02-11-2012, 06:07 AM
So what happens when Amare and Melo come back? I know Amare will love it, but does Melo adjust? I know its been a good run for Lin, but I highly Melo will adjust much if any at all.

Knicks Basketball is one crazy organization though.

Kstat
02-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Does Chauncey Billups count as one "get it latter"?

No. Billups's court vision never got better. he simply got better at running a basketball team, which is a completely different skill.

Kstat
02-11-2012, 06:24 AM
So what happens when Amare and Melo come back? I know Amare will love it, but does Melo adjust? I know its been a good run for Lin, but I highly Melo will adjust much if any at all.

Melo isn't the one with the ball anymore, so he can deal with it.

SoupIsGood
02-11-2012, 06:43 AM

My god this stuff needs a dedicated thread.

Ownagedood
02-11-2012, 07:43 AM
"@WojYahooNBA: Scouting report on Jeremy Lin w/ Reno Big Horns? "Pick him up full court, get into him," a D-League coach told me. "Didn't handle it well.""

We'll see how he handles more info like this coming out about him.. But even if the guy disappears, which I doubt, no one will ever be able to take away what he's done. Linsanity has spread thru the whole country.. how many ppl can say oh ya, remember that one week I started for the New York Knicks, and destroyed everyone, completely dominating on the big stage?.. leading to being called Vinsanity throughout the country, ya that was pretty cool, I did that.

Steagles
02-11-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't give a **** if the guy is black, asian, white, hell, PURPLE! If he is fun to watch, he's fun to watch, no matter what race he is.

Dgreenwell3
02-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Look at the pure scoring guards who see the floor better the more they play...DC isn't going to be Rubio and there isn't anything wrong with that. They are different players. But his overall awareness as he grows into his game will improve..

Ownagedood
02-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Look at the pure scoring guards who see the floor better the more they play...DC isn't going to be Rubio and there isn't anything wrong with that. They are different players. But his overall awareness as he grows into his game will improve..

Case in point, something i noticed last night, he made a nice move to get around his guy, was driving down the open lane to the basket, but instead of having tunnel vision, staring at the hoop like he used to, he was actually looking out at the 3 pt line to see if someone was open or if someone was cutting.. He ended up being the best option and took it for himself but its a good sign that he is aware of his teammates on the floor, even when he just made a good move to beat his man.

King Tuts Tomb
02-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Case in point, something i noticed last night, he made a nice move to get around his guy, was driving down the open lane to the basket, but instead of having tunnel vision, staring at the hoop like he used to, he was actually looking out at the 3 pt line to see if someone was open or if someone was cutting.. He ended up being the best option and took it for himself but its a good sign that he is aware of his teammates on the floor, even when he just made a good move to beat his man.

Not to derail the Jeremy Lin thread, but I actually noticed this too. The more Collison plays, especially with this team, you can see him recognizing where guys are on the floor around him. The hope is that by the end of this season and going into next year he can turn that recognition into assists and points for his teammates.

Most point guards don't come in and dominate their first few years in the league. Collison's numbers aren't all that different than Nash's were in his third year.

MrPreGame
02-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Im gonna just sum up my thought on the 2 subjects in this thread:

1. If you think being Asian has nothing to do with Lin becoming this huge topic of discussion in the basketball world you are misinformed. Yes it is mainly about his basketball ability and how he has been crapped on his entire career. Him being Asian probably had something to do with that but to what extent we do not know. I think most minorities can identify with what this kid is going through in some way, I know I can and I'm not Asian. The beauty of this country is it's diversity, we are a melting pot. Because of this race is the easiest way to identify someone, ask your local policeman about that. Lin just happens to be disproving some stereotypes people might have had about his race so good for him. America has a unique history with it's minority citizens (take that statement however you want), and race will forever be a controversial topic in this country whether you like it or not. DEAL WITH IT.

2. DC can improve and is improving his game. Who cares if LIN or anybody else is better, they don't play for our team. It's just a matter of opinion if you think DC sucks or whatever. I personally have seen DC improve greatly during his Pacer career. Saying the guy can't learn how to pass or acquire better court vision is stupid to me. When you see a player make a no-look pass it's not because of their vision or having eyes in the back of their head. It is because they have played and practiced together long enough to almost know what the other is going to do before they do it, THIS TAKES TIME. As DC learns more about his teammates and where they want the ball his 'vision' will miraculously improve to observers. The players on our team are still very young and have not been playing together for very long at all. Give em a chance to grow before we just decide that they can't do something and never will.

Sorry for the rant but the ignorance on PD is hilarious sometimes.

BornReady
02-11-2012, 11:25 AM

As an Asian American (with MANY Asian friends blowing up my facebook and twitter, I can comfortably tell you that there are two reasons why he is such a big deal: YES it is because he is Asian, but also because he is so bold about his Christian Faith. People who don't know ANYTHING about basketball and have never seen a game before are all going crazy about him. (Truth be told It's quite annoying) but I think being Asian has a HUGE part to deal with it.

BornReady
02-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Knicks Basketball is one crazy organization though.

I think Melo will be happy. Prior to Lin, Shump was taking as many shots as Melo was.

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 12:21 PM
I think Melo will be happy. Prior to Lin, Shump was taking as many shots as Melo was.

I honestly think the whole thing will fall apart when Melo returns. Melo commands the ball too much. You won't see Melo cutting the lane to get a pass from Lin. He won't move without the ball.

Trader Joe
02-11-2012, 12:38 PM
The thing I like the most about Jeremy Lin is that he proves what the 80's and 90's NBA knew...basketball can be fun and you can achieve great things even if you don't win a championship. Even if Lin falls off the map tonight against Minnesota, he'll always have these 4 games and so will all true NBA fans, when Jeremy Lin reminded us of one very important thing....basketball is FUN.

We've gotten so caught up in the "You have to win a championship to matter." ******** that we've forgotten that just having fun and capturing the imagination of the game is one of the best things about basketball.

Dgreenwell3
02-11-2012, 12:39 PM
The thing I like the most about Jeremy Lin is that he proves what the 80's and 90's NBA knew...basketball can be fun and you can achieve great things even if you don't win a championship. Even if Lin falls off the map tonight against Minnesota, he'll always have these 4 games and so will all true NBA fans, when Jeremy Lin reminded us of one very important thing....basketball is FUN.

We've gotten so caught up in the "You have to win a championship to matter." ******** that we've forgotten that just having fun and capturing the imagination of the game is one of the best things about basketball.

Bingo

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Wait....I thought this whole thing was about him being Asian?

TheDon
02-11-2012, 01:17 PM
You think when anthony comes back they can call the duo melo-yellow?

Lurkster
02-11-2012, 01:46 PM
F*** the Knicks and EVERYONE on their team!

A.B.Hollywood
02-11-2012, 01:59 PM
For all the highlights and craze surrounding this kid the first thing he ever falls back on is his teammates. He deflects the praise every chance he can and focuses on what everyone else did.

Put that cherry on top of his crazy week sundae and I'm buying and couldn't be happier for him.

immortality
02-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Wait....I thought this whole thing was about him being Asian?

You were the one who called someone out on expressing his pride about another Asian doing well in the NBA.

Your ignorance is both hypocritical and ridiculous.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
I have a feeling that Melo is going to crush "The Jeremy Lin show" and New York fans are going to ask for Melo to get traded, I also expect Lin assists to go up when Amare gets back in few days.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Great article, I like the "point guard stuff" part.

NEW YORK -- The ball kicked back out towards halfcourt and suddenly, the fate of the game rested on Jeremy Lin's slender, 6-foot-3, 200-pound frame. Six minutes on the clock, up eight, national television and Kobe Bryant starting to get warmed up, Lin stared down Pau Gasol, the four-time All-Star and the two-time NBA champion. Lin's eyes darted from left to right, his mind processing everything in front of him. Where is the mismatch? Where should I go? You know, point guard stuff. He dribbled once, twice, three times. Gasol stepped back, Lin pulled up, floating a toe on the line, 23-foot jumper.

Swish.

Dagger.

For all of their star power, for all of their wealth, the man who may save the Knicks' season earns the NBA minimum, sleeps on his brother's couch and less than a month ago wore a uniform with "Erie" across the chest. Jeremy Lin pumped in 38 points in New York's 92-85 win over the Lakers on Friday night, the fourth straight game he has tallied 23 or more. A Madison Square Garden crowd that has stood behind Willis Reed, Clyde Frazier and Patrick Ewing has united behind Lin, a four-time D-Leaguer and a two-time waiver casualty who has breathed new life into a doomed season.

"You don't see many guys play like this...in their whole career," said Mike D'Antoni. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I've never seen it."

D'Antoni likens Lin to Steve Nash, a comparison that is both awkward, yet appropriate. Lin is not Nash, doesn't have his awareness, doesn't have his unique skills. But there is something very Nash-like about Lin, the way he probes the paint, never surrendering his dribble, never taking his eyes off his teammates. Lin added seven assists to his scoring explosion, expertly operating out of the pick-and-roll and confounding the Lakers defense with his dribble penetration.

"He just has this pace and confidence," said Tyson Chandler. "He just keeps coming. You have to love a kid like that."

No one loves Lin more than D'Antoni, the embattled coach who is finally on steady ground. Smart, steady point guard play is central to D'Antoni's system, one that thrived in four full seasons with Nash at the helm. But with Raymond Felton traded and Chauncey Billups amnestied, D'Antoni has battled through this season with playmakers who were either incapable (Toney Douglas), unready (Iman Shumpert) or unable (Mike Bibby) to handle the job. Lin doesn't dabble in the spectacular, doesn't make many eye-popping plays. He merely plays the position like someone born to do it.

"Coach D'Antoni is an offensive genius," said Lin. "He puts new plays in every single game. Every game at the walk through, he will do something different. He makes us look good."

The hype around Lin will continue to grow, if that's even possible. Lin fever has gripped Manhattan. Asian media has descended on the Garden in numbers so high the Knicks PR staff has lost count. Lin's name is on signs everywhere. LIN-DIESEL. SUPER LIN-TENDO. SHOTS ARE FAL-LIN'. Lin picked up 60,000 followers on Twitter in the last week and on Sina (the Chinese version) he has added 60,000 more. A local Modell's reportedly sold out of 62 Lin jerseys in two hours on Friday and stores across the city have stacked up orders for hundreds more. To peruse the Knicks website you must pass through a page featuring an image of Lin, with an offer to download an app for the latest Lin-sanity video.

Lin won't be able to continue this blistering pace, not with Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony due back in the lineup next week. But he won't fall out of the lineup, either. "Players don't usually come out of nowhere," said Kobe Bryant. "If you go back and take a look, his skill level was probably there but no one ever noticed."

Lin will have some difficulties the second time through the league, as teams collect more film on him and dissect the weaknesses in his game. He will have the tall task of distributing the ball to a pair of stars who only know how to play with it and will have to keep his chin up when one of them expresses frustration at not getting it. Part of the job, you know. Part of being a point guard

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/chris_mannix/02/11/jeremy.lin/index.html#ixzz1m6geZTnw

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I'd just like to remind everyone that we got Darren Collison for Troy Murphy. Yes, DC has his off-nights, but I'm thankful we have him, each and every game.

Anyway, as for Lin, as a Pacer fan it's hard to say that I'm rooting for him, but it's interesting to watch, to say the least. I'm more interested to see how he fits when Melo and Amare come back and he's scouted for, but he has talents that won't just disappear. His vision, playmaking, feel for the game, whatever you want to call it won't just go away. What he needs to improve on, his shooting (3-14 from 3 in these past 4 games), can be improved with practice. Does anyone doubt this kid will put the work in?

At the very least, he's guaranteed himself a place in the league for the foreseeable future when just as recently as last week he might have been waived again. Good for him. And I guess good for the Knicks, too? Ugh.

Kstat
02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
At the very least, Lin is the ideal D'Antoni point guard.

He probably wouldn't do as well starting in any system, but not many NBA PGs do well starting in D'Antoni's system.

The Knicks will be very, very dangerous if Carmelo and Amare buy into this.

graphic-er
02-11-2012, 05:45 PM
You were the one who called someone out on expressing his pride about another Asian doing well in the NBA.

Your ignorance is both hypocritical and ridiculous.

You couldn't be more aloof.

I merely argue that there are people who insist on pointing out that its so huge that he is Asian.

Which flies in the face of what sports is all about.

I'm done with it though, I've made my point. I'm going to enjoy this story playing out over the next couple of weeks.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 05:48 PM
At the very least, Lin is the ideal D'Antoni point guard.

He probably wouldn't do as well starting in any system, but not many NBA PGs do well starting in D'Antoni's system.

The Knicks will be very, very dangerous if Carmelo and Amare buy into this.

Agree with the bolded part, people think that Mike's system makes crappy point guards look like amazing point guards and that's far from the true.

cdash
02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Agree with the bolded part, people think that Mike's system makes crappy point guards look like amazing point guards and that's far from the true.

No, that's what you want to read into the situation because it fits your argument better. All people have said is that D'Antoni's system inflates the statistics of the point guards running it. Duhon's numbers weren't bad, but everyone still realized that he was a dreadful point guard.

BornReady
02-11-2012, 08:25 PM
wow everybody getting so mad at each other
what have I created!? :P

can't we just sit back and enjoy the show (so as long as he's not playing us?) :)

cdash
02-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Already 6 and 3 for Lin tonight. Lin vs. Rubio...what a fun matchup.

Lance George
02-11-2012, 09:38 PM
17 & 5, midway through the third. 15 shots and 4 turnovers, though.

Sookie
02-11-2012, 09:41 PM
He looks a little tired

AesopRockOn
02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm impressed that he's getting any assists considering the Knicks had a Lin, Bibby, Shumpert, Steve Novak, Chandler lineup in.

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm impressed that he's getting any assists considering the Knicks had a Lin, Bibby, Shumpert, Steve Novak, Chandler lineup in.

It's the system, it can make either one of our guys look like CP3....

Sookie
02-11-2012, 10:28 PM
The kid struggled to a 20 point 8 assist (6 turnovers) performance, and made the play to seal the game for the Knicks...

he's going to need to take care of the ball eventually...but sheesh..

He's also going to need some breaks during the game D'Antonie..

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 10:30 PM
20, 8, 6 and 6TO for Lin today.

Lance George
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
So... when do we start talking about signing this guy in the offseason? As someone pointed out on RealGM, not only is he a very nice looking young point guard, he's also looking to be Yao Ming's successor in capturing the Chinese market (yes, I realize he's Chinese-American).

gummy
02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
The kid struggled to a 20 point 8 assist (6 turnovers) performance, and made the play to seal the game for the Knicks...

Yeah, that 8-24 shooting was rough (including getting his shot stuffed 4 times), along with the turnovers. He made up for it with the steals, rebounds and offensive direction though.

He will need to tighten up on those turnovers and not let his hot shooting get into his head so much that he becomes a chucker.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Yeah, he was obviously tired tonight, but I can't really blame D'Antoni. I'd guess he would get a little more rest once Melo and Amare come back, but right now they're just going to keep riding the hot hand.

I loved how he had the awareness to drive on that last play and get fouled. I think many young, inexperienced players would have pulled up for a contested jumper.

immortality
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
So... when do we start talking about signing this guy in the offseason? As someone pointed out on RealGM, not only is he a very nice looking young point guard, he's also looking to be Yao Ming's successor in capturing the Chinese market (yes, I realize he's Chinese-American).

Correction, he is Taiwanese. (Big difference in international terms)

gummy
02-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Correction, he is Taiwanese. (Big difference in international terms)

Actually, although his parents emigrated from Taiwan, much of his recent paternal line hails from the mainland. Still, I was going to point this out too since many Taiwanese folks don't appreciate being called Chinese. But then I ran across this Lin quote:

"I'm really proud of being Chinese, I'm really proud of my parents being from Taiwan."

So if he self identifies as Chinese despite the historical and present-day tension between Taiwan and China, that's good enough for me and fans in China are definitely embracing him as one of their own.

Cactus Jax
02-11-2012, 10:42 PM
The basketball card market is going insane for him at the moment, one of his rookie card autos sold on ebay February 4th for $26, the same card sold for $550 today. (Feb 11th)

(In case you care you can search for "Jeremy Lin Limited" to see the prices)

BornReady
02-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Actually, although his parents emigrated from Taiwan, much of his recent paternal line hails from the mainland. Still, I was going to point this out too since many Taiwanese folks don't appreciate being called Chinese. But then I ran across this Lin quote:

"I'm really proud of being Chinese, I'm really proud of my parents being from Taiwan."

So if he self identifies as Chinese despite the historical and present-day tension between Taiwan and China, that's good enough for me and fans in China are definitely embracing him as one of their own.

Chinese embrace yes, but Taiwanese come up with things like this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4-PKl82vQg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vnzla81
02-11-2012, 11:30 PM
No, that's what you want to read into the situation because it fits your argument better. All people have said is that D'Antoni's system inflates the statistics of the point guards running it. Duhon's numbers weren't bad, but everyone still realized that he was a dreadful point guard.

How come he was a dreadful point guard if his numbers in Chicago were close to those of Steve Nash in his first years? wow he could have been Nash if somebody thought him how to pass the ball and have floor vision poor coaching I tell you.....

Trader Joe
02-12-2012, 02:46 AM
20 points on 24 shots...and his turnover numbers have been redonkulous. Like I said earlier, we can all appreciate the ride that he's given us, but I'm not sure it's going to last. Tonight it felt a little...forced.

Kstat
02-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Of course it was forced... did you see the other 4 guys on the floor with him??? Who else was going to takes risks to break down the defense?

The guy is their best player every night, he's being asked to carry them offensively in basically the first big minutes of his entire career....and we're critical of stupid **** like turnovers and %FG? Do you realize if he didn't have those issues he'd be an MVP candidate?

This is remarkably absurd. He's one of the biggest surprise stories in NBA history, and people aren't impressed because he's not perfect?

If Lin fails to score another point for the rest of the year, he's still the biggest story in the NBA for the 2012 season.

vnzla81
02-12-2012, 08:19 AM
20 points on 24 shots...and his turnover numbers have been redonkulous. Like I said earlier, we can all appreciate the ride that he's given us, but I'm not sure it's going to last. Tonight it felt a little...forced.

Yes because we haven't had those kind of performances from either one of our players ............. how many TO's Danny had last night again? and he is been in the NBA how long? yeah let's judge the new guy............

wintermute
02-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Gilbert Arenas provision...

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q38

Teams are now limited in the salary they can offer in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league. The first-year salary in the offer sheet cannot be greater than the average salary (see question number 25). Limiting the first year salary in this way guarantees that the player's original team will be able to match the offer sheet by using the Early Bird exception (if applicable -- see question number 19), or Mid-Level exception (provided they haven't used it already).

Other teams' offers are limited to a starting salary of $5m (though there can be a big jump in the third year), which means the Knicks can match any offer with their MLE. It's hard to think of any scenario where the Knicks would not want to re-sign Lin, unless his play falls off significantly before the end of the season. They don't have the cap space for someone like Deron and while they might have the inside track on Nash, with Nash's age they would probably want to keep Lin around anyway. As for Lin, there's little reason for him to search for a new team, when he can get the same money in NY plus it's a place where he's already found a good fit.

SoupIsGood
02-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes because we haven't had those kind of performances from either one of our players ............. how many TO's Danny had last night again? and he is been in the NBA how long? yeah let's judge the new guy............

Why do you do this?

Justin Tyme
02-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Just look at Duhon in Orlando. He's terrible. SVG couldn't wait for Nelson to return.

Slick Pinkham
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I taped it and watched it all.

He shot well in the first half and then totally lost his legs and his lift due to the fatigue of his minutes and a long week. Rubio was actually very focused on guarding him tightly in the second half too, the first time I saw Rubio play such good D.

Slick Pinkham
02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
aside-- the Minnesota Muskies throwbacks were quite a trip. Founding ABA team in existence for only one year, moved to Miami to become the Floridians, and the Heat are wearing Floridians throwbacks!

Big Mel is #34:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/ABA/Images/Muskies/Muskies%2067-68%20Home%20Team%202.jpg

vnzla81
02-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Why do you do this?

Because I hate hypocrisy.

Trader Joe
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
]Yes because we haven't had those kind of performances from either one of our players ............. how many TO's Danny had last night again? and he is been in the NBA how long? yeah let's judge the new guy............

Please explain to me what anything in my post has to do with the Pacers.

Trader Joe
02-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Because I hate hipocrisy.

LOL, how am I being a hypocrite? My post didn't say "Jeremy Lin sucked last night and Danny Granger was amazing!"

The two teams didn't even play.

SoupIsGood
02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Because I hate hipocrisy.

Please, please stop derailing threads. This is a thread about Jeremy Lin. Jeremy Lin is more than a convenient segue into the two or three topics you debate non-stop.

cdash
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Of course it was forced... did you see the other 4 guys on the floor with him??? Who else was going to takes risks to break down the defense?

The guy is their best player every night, he's being asked to carry them offensively in basically the first big minutes of his entire career....and we're critical of stupid **** like turnovers and %FG? Do you realize if he didn't have those issues he'd be an MVP candidate?

This is remarkably absurd. He's one of the biggest surprise stories in NBA history, and people aren't impressed because he's not perfect?

If Lin fails to score another point for the rest of the year, he's still the biggest story in the NBA for the 2012 season.

Man, this guy is a lightning rod. Look, no one is above critique. If he has warts (and he does), then what is wrong with people discussing them? Just because he is a great story doesn't mean people can't discuss the improvements he needs to make to his game.

vnzla81
02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Please, please stop derailing threads. This is a thread about Jeremy Lin. Jeremy Lin is more than a convenient segue into the two or three topics you debate non-stop.

If you don't like it you can use the ignore button. :twocents:

vnzla81
02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
LOL, how am I being a hypocrite? My post didn't say "Jeremy Lin sucked last night and Danny Granger was amazing!"

The two teams didn't even play.

Because you love to look the other way regarding our players? why would I call a player "redonkulous" regarding TO's in one game when our own players are turning the ball over as much as the guy who only has like a total of two weeks experience in the NBA?

I also love the people that call other players chuckers and forget that he have few of those in our team, yep hypocrisy at is best.

cdash
02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Because you love to look the other way regarding our players? why would I call a player "redonkulous" regarding TO's in one game when our own players are turning the ball over as much as the guy who only has like a total of two weeks experience in the NBA?

I also love the people that call other players chuckers and forget that he have few of those in our team, yep hipocrisy at is best.

At least spell it right if you are going to use it in every other post: It's hypocrisy.

Sookie
02-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Last night, he was quite clearly exhausted. Everyone of his missed shots were short. This is the first time he's played these types of minutes for such a long stretch. His body is going to need to adjust. (And, he got fouled a lot more than what was called. One turnover was a result of Rubio tripping him..) And his quickness just wasn't there. (So obviously D'Antonie essentially didn't rest him)
And the kid still made the play that won the gave the Knicks their final lead.

I don't think his shooting percentage will remain as high as it did. But I also think it will stay pretty high. He goes to the basket a lot, and he's going to start getting "superstar" calls because he's such a big story. That's going to equal a pretty good shooting percentage.

He'll need to tighten up his turnovers, obviously. But I think he deserves a little time to figure that out. :laugh:

Trader Joe
02-12-2012, 01:47 PM

I also love the people that call other players chuckers and forget that he have few of those in our team, yep hypocrisy at is best.

This thread has nothing to do with the Pacers, I never mentioned the Pacers. God, you can be quite dense.

Also, let's not act like last night was the first night Lin has turned the ball over a lot.

Jeez, I didn't know we weren't allowed to criticize Jeremy Lin, I mean he's such a superstar with an established past he's definitely earned the leeway for us to expect this to continue...oh wait.

I was really enjoying Jeremy Lin until you've apparently decided to use him as an excuse to criticize everyone on the Pacers. Now, he just annoys me by proxy.

The only person that keeps bringing the Pacers up in this thread is you. To keep giving Jeremy Lin such high praise while ignoring any time a Pacer you don't like has a good game, makes you the hypocrite.

Back on the ignore list with ye for a while.

vnzla81
02-12-2012, 01:52 PM
This thread has nothing to do with the Pacers, I never mentioned the Pacers. God, you can be quite dense.

Also, let's not act like last night was the first night Lin has turned the ball over a lot.

Jeez, I didn't know we weren't allowed to criticize Jeremy Lin, I mean he's such a superstar with an established past he's definitely earned the leeway for us to expect this to continue...oh wait.

I was really enjoying Jeremy Lin until you've apparently decided to use him as an excuse to criticize everyone on the Pacers. Now, he just annoys me by proxy.

The only person that keeps bringing the Pacers up in this thread is you. To keep giving Jeremy Lin such high praise while ignoring any time a Pacer you don't like has a good game, makes you the hypocrite.

Back on the ignore list with ye for a while.

This is a Pacers blog and you don't want me to mention the Pacers? weird......

wintermute
02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Man, this guy is a lightning rod. Look, no one is above critique. If he has warts (and he does), then what is wrong with people discussing them? Just because he is a great story doesn't mean people can't discuss the improvements he needs to make to his game.

Sure he has warts but for a guy who's been waived twice already this year he's being held to some ridiculously high standards.

20/8/6 in spite of the poor FG% and TOs would have been a spectacular line for any other undrafted 2nd year PG, if it weren't for the bar that Lin set for himself the past few games.

Kstat
02-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Because the "warts" being pointed out are a lazy and incorrect assessment of his play thusfar.

He's turning the ball over a ton because he's being asked to do a ton. It's not because he's a terrible ballhandler.

He shot a poor percentage last game because he's being asked to take the ball himself a ton. It isn't because he's a poor shooter.

Frankly, he hasn't played long enough in the NBA for us to see exactly what his "warts" are, aside from poor on-ball defense.

judicata
02-12-2012, 03:14 PM

I would, but I find it a like more gratifying to let my irritation at you build up and then write a Seth sized post clearly articulating my evaluation of your worth to this community, sprinkled liberally with f-bombs.

SoupIsGood
02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I like Lin because he's Asian and I'm not apologetic about it. People who walk across boundaries should be noted. I like Dirk because he's taken his euro Charmin softness and crafted it into a weapon that inflicts a million papercuts. I like Tebow because he walks the walk, even though I'm agnostic. I like girls who crash Old Boys Club parties, male countertenors, and short basketball players. I like the Pacers, who only have an All-Star because bigs stopped playing with their back to the basket 15 years ago.

I'll leave it at that since anything else will make Hicks cranky.

:laugh: I really enjoyed that. The whole post was fun, but that was an especially nice line.

SoupIsGood
02-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Well, I like your posts when you're not acting like this.

PacersRule
02-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Being a Taiwanese American myself, I would consider him Taiwanese since both his parents emigrated from Taiwan. However, Jeremy's only been there a couple times so if that's what he thinks I'm fine with it. Doesn't really matter to me if your Chinese, Taiwanese or heck Korean or Japanese it's just really cool to see an Asian tearing it up like this in the NBA and no matter how long it lasts, I'll be enjoying this ride. Don't wanna start another debate but personally I'd like to see Pacers cut AJ and steal Jeremy from the Knicks this offseason:devil:

cdash
02-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Because the "warts" being pointed out are a lazy and incorrect assessment of his play thusfar.

He's turning the ball over a ton because he's being asked to do a ton. It's not because he's a terrible ballhandler.

He shot a poor percentage last game because he's being asked to take the ball himself a ton. It isn't because he's a poor shooter.

Frankly, he hasn't played long enough in the NBA for us to see exactly what his "warts" are, aside from poor on-ball defense.

Some of you guys are just super defensive with Lin. I don't see how those assessments are incorrect or lazy. Yeah, he's being asked to do a ton, and most high-usage players in the league turn the ball over a fair amount. Nobody has said anything about him being a terrible ballhandler--that's just how you are choosing to perceive the sleights against him. I'm not worried about him jacking up a bunch of shots last game and missing them--he's been ridden like Secretariat by D'Antoni and he isn't used to playing this many minutes. Plus, Rubio was all over him. Guys are allowed to have bad shooting games.

That last comment is a little silly. We know what players' warts are long before they ever get to the NBA usually. It's not like this kid just emerged from the bowels of Sri Lanka. He played four years of Division I basketball and has had a cup of tea in the NBA and D-League.

Kstat
02-12-2012, 08:28 PM
its lazy. you read his turnover number in a box score and make a rushed judgement off of that. No actual attempt to break down his game as a whole.

Far as how his game has matured in the NBA, no he has not been scouted enough yet.

Roaming Gnome
02-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Wow, 'Lin'sanity is on the front cover of USA Today and the top banner of the Wall Street Journal this morning. This kids amazing story sure has grown some legs outside of the world of sports! Good for him & I hope he keeps it going..

Sandman21
02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Great story, but I want to see what he does once teams get more of his game on video and can gameplan against him.

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Jeremy Lin is currently on an ESPN poll for who is the NBA's best point guard alongside Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, and Rajon Rondo.....insane. To make it worse, he's ahead of Rondo by 9% and only behind Paul by 9%.

vnzla81
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/12/spike-lee-thanked-mark-jackson-for-jeremy-lin/?sct=nba_t2_a16

Spike Lee thanked Mark Jackson for Jeremy Lin
Jeremy Lin, NBA, New York Knicks | Comments
New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin has been an overnight sensation in the Big Apple, and noted Knick fan and movie producer Spike Lee sent Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson a text message thanking him for making the ex-Harvard guard so easy to pick up, according to CSNBayArea.com.

“I got a text message from Spike Lee this morning,” Jackson said Saturday. “I had nothing to do with Jeremy Lin. I never saw him do a layup. So for the people … stop asking me. He never practiced for us so leave me out of it.”

Lin has scored 114 points over his last four games, which have resulted in four New York victories.

“No,” Jackson said. “(Lee’s) thanking me like I had something to do with it. We made a player a free agent and it was nothing about believing or not believing in Jeremy Lin. I’m happy for the guy. When a good guys get a win, it’s great for everybody.”

MiaDragon
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Jeremy Lin is currently on an ESPN poll for who is the NBA's best point guard alongside Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, and Rajon Rondo.....insane. To make it worse, he's ahead of Rondo by 9% and only behind Paul by 9%.

Flavor of the week for the herd of sheep that cling to ESPN as if its the be all and end all for sports. Enjoy the ride kid.

McKeyFan
02-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Being a Taiwanese American myself, I would consider him Taiwanese since both his parents emigrated from Taiwan. However, Jeremy's only been there a couple times so if that's what he thinks I'm fine with it. Doesn't really matter to me if your Chinese, Taiwanese or heck Korean or Japanese it's just really cool to see an Asian tearing it up like this in the NBA and no matter how long it lasts, I'll be enjoying this ride. Don't wanna start another debate but personally I'd like to see Pacers cut AJ and steal Jeremy from the Knicks this offseason:devil:

My understanding is that folks from the mainland and folks on the island both claimed the title "Chinese," this being since the Nationalists separated from Communism around the time of WWII and moved to Taiwan.

So, the Taiwanese don't like people calling the mainlanders Chinese and the mainlanders don't like calling folks from Taiwan Chinese. Isn't that what all the fuss was about when people were stomping on peanuts during Jimmy Carter's administration?

Sookie
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Aww, don't hate Lin because people are over hyping him (and ESPN is over hyping him.) He's been a really fun player and a really great story. That poll is just a gut reaction from some excited New York fans. Ask them who the best quarterback in the NFL is, and they'll tell you Eli Manning.

He's been good his whole life and completely neglected basketball wise. He's always been talented, at least since I've seen him.

They are setting this kid up to fail, at this point. And it's a darn shame, because he's so easy to root for when you watch him play anyway. (And then off the court he puts his head down and says it bothers him that people don't give his teammates more credit.)

TheDon
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I have to admit the amount of coverage of the guy is wearing on me to the point that i'd rather see him fail hard so that this thread and any other mention of him dies with it. It's a shame they're running the story into the ground he seems like a grateful humble person but even when he isn't playing they find ways to talk about him. Yay for him but if this wasn't happening in New York, I can't help but think how much of a non-story this would be.

Mackey_Rose
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jason-whitlock-apologizes-unfunny-jeremy-lin-twitter-145934497.html

You're an NBA fan. Dissatisfied with the typical online outlets, you're coming to an NBA-obsessive blog on a Monday to read more than what the more orthodox NBA media outlets are giving you. You search and you scour for takes and columns and tweets and video and you'll do it all again come Tuesday morning. Tell me, have you ever read a Jason Whitlock column on the NBA? Do you even think to go to him when NBA news breaks?

Jason Whitlock knows this. He's also an unfunny boor with a massive ego, and the combination of those factors plus his NBA irrelevancy leads to Twitter comments like this, in the wake of Jeremy Lin's brilliant 38-point performance against the Lakers on Friday night:

Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight.

There are funny jokes, and then there are unfunny jokes that mix with needless racial stereotyping and the laziness that comes from not even bothering to look up the fact that the Knicks would be flying to Minneapolis directly after Friday's game.

On Sunday, after much criticism and derision, Whitlock came through with an apology of sorts:

I then gave in to another part of my personality - my immature, sophomoric, comedic nature. It's been with me since birth, a gift from my mother and honed as a child listening to my godmother's Richard Pryor albums. I still want to be a standup comedian.

Don't you dare involve Richard Pryor in this, Jason Whitlock. Maybe your mother makes lame jokes all the time, but do not invoke Pryor's name. His jokes were funny. This was pathetic.

I like dark, weird humor. Michael O'Donoghue remains a steady influence on me, even as I write up posts about Dwight Howard dunking on a fake giraffe. But this, to paraphrase the least-darkest comic of all time in Jerry Seinfeld, offends me more as someone who appreciates humor than it does the ugly and needless stereotyping of a 6-3, 200-pound man. If you're going to go nasty, at least go out being funny.

Whitlock's not going anywhere, though some called for and even expected his dismissal from FOX over the weekend. The Asian American Journalists Association was more than correct in looking past the "not funny" aspect of Whitlock's noise and calling out its blatant stereotyping.

Jeremy Lin, meanwhile, went on to overcome tired legs in his fifth game in seven nights on Saturday, and score 20 points in New York's win over the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Whitlock, per usual, will be dutifully ignored by NBA fans until he says another stupid thing about the league.

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't get the outrage over the comment. Maybe it's not that funny, but if some comedian had tweeted it there wouldn't have been that big of an out rage. Probably more than 50% of our nation's humor is derived from racist stuff. Whitlock could have been smarter and realize that his position in the world could lead to a backlash over this, but to call him a racist seems a bit silly IMO. Over egotistical blowhard however, is completely acceptable.

Dr. Awesome
02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Wow, 'Lin'sanity is on the front cover of USA Today and the top banner of the Wall Street Journal this morning. This kids amazing story sure has grown some legs outside of the world of sports! Good for him & I hope he keeps it going..

This is exactly why big market teams own the NBA. If he was doing that here, I'd be shocked if ESPN did a story on it.

McKeyFan
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Looks like Lin has some Tebow going on as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/sports/basketball/the-knicks-jeremy-lin-faith-pride-and-points.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all?src=tp

graphic-er
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't get the outrage over the comment. Maybe it's not that funny, but if some comedian had tweeted it there wouldn't have been that big of an out rage. Probably more than 50% of our nation's humor is derived from racist stuff.

:picard:

Finally! I got you with a Picard! :dance::dance:

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
:picard:

What you've never laughed at a racist joke? I guess you're a better man than me or something...

Also, I don't know that I've ever Picard-ed anyone lol.

Mackey_Rose
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't get the outrage over the comment. Maybe it's not that funny, but if some comedian had tweeted it there wouldn't have been that big of an out rage. Probably more than 50% of our nation's humor is derived from racist stuff. Whitlock could have been smarter and realize that his position in the world could lead to a backlash over this, but to call him a racist seems a bit silly IMO. Over egotistical blowhard however, is completely acceptable.

I think Whitlock is the biggest racist of all the big, national writersm, by a wide margin.

That said, I didn't have a problem with his Lin comment, and actually found it pretty funny. I wish he wouldn't have apologized for it.

BRushWithDeath
02-13-2012, 03:17 PM

His long, cataloged career as a racist far pre-dates this joke. Unfortunately, that is his go to angle pretty much regardless of whether or not it makes a lick of sense. I understand it. It gets people talking about him and gets the all important page views but it's still pretty lame. I don't have a problem with the joke, whatsoever, but had it been another writer of a different color taking a perceived shot at Whitlock's race, he would have been the first and loudest coming out against it.

BRushWithDeath
02-13-2012, 03:17 PM

You really got him.

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
You really got him.

I've gone through at least 2 1/2 boxes of Puff tissues already.

vnzla81
02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Ken Berger @KBergCBS
Jeremy Lin becomes the first player to earn player-of-the-week honors in NBA and D-League. Won it last season with Reno Bighorns.

Trader Joe
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Floyd Mayweather just Jason Whitlock'd all over his twitter.

@FloydMayweather: Lin's a good player but the hype is b/c he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night, dont get same praise

Sandman21
02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
:picardriker:

cdash
02-13-2012, 05:35 PM
In case anyone cares, here is Hollinger's Insider piece on Linsanity from today:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PERDiem-120213/nba-why-all-see-coming

Sometimes the most exciting and amazing things in sports (or in life, for that matter) are those that are so improbable that they defy rational explanation.

Like Jeremy Lin, for instance.

Anyone who says they saw this coming is lying. Lin's past five games were not, contrary to what you may have been led to believe, his first shot in professional basketball. A year ago, he played 29 games for the Golden State Warriors and shot 38.9 percent, averaging 2.6 points per game.

And in 20 more games of professional basketball for Reno in the D-League, he averaged 18 points and 4.3 assists. In other words, against minor leaguers a year ago he put up numbers that pale beside those he registered against NBA players over the past five games.

Sure, there were signs if you looked hard enough, and we'll address those in a minute. Nonetheless, I was considered a Lin optimist because my Draft Rater tapped him as an early-second-round pick two years ago -- that and his strong D-League play last season led me to conclude he could become a good backup someday. Most of the scouts I talked to disagreed, thinking he was too unsteady with his jumper and too sloppy with the ball.

Obviously, he's turned out a wee bit better than expected.

And it's become a runaway train of a story because of all the other factors it's been juxtaposed alongside, from his playing in New York, to his being the league's first prominent Asian-American, to his open Christianity, to his graduating from Harvard -- a school many consider the University of Virginia of the Northeast. (Guess which one I attended.)

But take away all of that and it wouldn't matter. If he were named Fred Smith and played for Sacramento, Linsanity (or, I guess, "Smithsanity") would still be the league's hottest story right now.

Players don't come out of nowhere and dominate NBA games like this. Lin was cut twice before the season and, as our Marc Stein reported, days away from being waived a third time. A week ago he had 114 points in his NBA career; in five games since he's racked up 134. He scored more points in his first four starts than any other player since the ABA-NBA merger.

We have other examples, sort of, but even those weren't quite like Lin. Flip Murray is probably the most similar -- like Lin, he was a 6-foot-3 guard from an unheralded program in his second season, and he was on his second team. He erupted for the Seattle SuperSonics in the first month of the 2003-04 season, topping 20 points 10 times in his first 11 games, before returning to earth and hatching an unspectacular eight-year career as a reserve.

The other prominent example is Billy Ray Bates, a late-season addition who averaged nearly a point a minute for the Trail Blazers at the tail end of the 1979-80 campaign -- his 99 points in his first four career starts nearly matched Lin's 109.

Those two cases share a common element with Lin's: injuries. Murray snagged his chance because of an injury to Ray Allen and Bates jumped in after trades and injuries decimated Portland's guard rotation. Lin, of course, became The Man for the Knicks after maladies sidelined Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Baron Davis.

However, Lin would seem to have more staying power than Murray or Bates. For starters, the Bates precedent is better than it looks. Bates will go down in the books as a flash in the pan, but he was actually a major talent and likely would have been a long-term star had he been able to hold his life together off the court. Suffice it to say that doesn't seem to be a risk with Lin.

Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, there is every indication that Lin has yet to reach his ceiling. Take a closer look at his numbers and you can see why.

Again, there was no sign that THIS was coming, but there were signs of, well … something. Lin displayed a lot more athleticism than is typical of a fringe prospect, and it permeated his stat sheet at every level: high rates of steals and free throw attempts, and high rates of blocks and rebounds for a player of his size. Those are the four strongest "indicator" stats for athleticism, and he had check boxes in all of them.

This doesn't neatly fit the Harvard overachiever storyline, but Lin's biggest weaknesses were (and are) outside shooting and running the offense. He generated a high turnover rate in the D-League last season that offset what were otherwise some of the best numbers in the league, and even in his recent stretch of brilliance, he's been turnover-prone (22 in his past four games, albeit while having to create virtually every play). He still needs to work on things like 2-for-1s and shot clock management.

What's changed for him is how much more successful he's been as a scorer. Yes, Mike D'Antoni has put the ball in his hands on nearly every play, which helps. On the other hand, this didn't seem to do much for Toney Douglas or Iman Shumpert.

Lin projected as a low-40s shooter but is shooting 49.6 percent, plus he's constantly at the line. Outside shooting remains a weakness -- he's 3-of-17 on 3s even in this otherwise torrid stretch, and he's shot in the mid-70s from the line everywhere he's played. His percentages have held up due to an unsustainably high conversion rate on 2-point shots: 47-of-80 (55.8 percent) in five games.

That will change, as shown in the second half of the Minnesota game, but this isn't news -- nobody expects him to keep being a Derrick Rose clone. The question is how well Lin is capable of playing going forward, and from here it seems reasonable to think that he'll be a long-term starter with the upside to be more. He has the size and athleticism for the position, and the areas where he's weakest (shooting and game management) are the ones that tend to improve the most with age.

(For posterity's sake, I'll add one other rock-solid prediction: Before All-Star Weekend, Lin will be added to the rookie-sophomore game, or rather the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, which now mixes all the first- and second-year players together. They might excuse Blake Griffin from the event since he's already playing on Sunday. Or perhaps there will be a convenient injury. But one way or another, I expect Lin will be there.)

In the short term, though, some things are likely to change. He'll have the ball in his hands less once Anthony and Stoudemire return and will have to focus more on passing than scoring. Lin will generate a lot more attention on scouting reports and from opposing defenses, who will force him left, play under screens and dispatch better players to guard him. And as any good analyst can tell you, regression to the mean is likely in any case -- which is to say, he'll tend to revert to his most natural level of play, whatever that might be.

Finally, there's the issue that isn't getting as much attention as perhaps it should: Lin also has to manage being Jeremy Lin. His celebrity has gone from 0 to 60 in milliseconds, and the distractions and time commitments of this are real. And it's not going to go away, no matter how he fares on the court, because he's become such a touchstone for Asian-Americans. There's a danger in this: Two years ago, the extra commitments visibly wore down Omri Casspi, the league's first Israeli, and Casspi was about 1/1,000th as famous as Lin.

In the meantime, let's make sure to appreciate a magical week in Gotham. A Knicks team that was basically dead in the water won five straight games without two of its three big-ticket stars, because of a historic week from a guy who was sleeping on his brother's couch. It's the type of improbable outcome that no model could ever predict … and one of the reasons we keep watching sports.

I think it's a pretty solid evaluation, personally. Hollinger haters are sure to disagree, but I think there's some good information to glean from this article.

Sookie
02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
I think Whitlock is the biggest racist of all the big, national writersm, by a wide margin.

That said, I didn't have a problem with his Lin comment, and actually found it pretty funny. I wish he wouldn't have apologized for it.

I'm sure Lin doesn't give a ****, and part of the backlash is because of who said it.

But I also just didn't think it was funny. As the article said...come up with something creative.

And Floyd's got it backwards.

Lin wasn't recruited by any college because he's Asian. Lin wasn't drafted despite clear talent and doing well in the combine most likely because he's Asian. He was cut by two teams and never given a real opportunity -despite outperforming John Wall, the #1 pick, in summer league, most likely because he's Asian.

Does his popularity right now, have something do with the fact that he's Asian. Yea, it adds to the story. But it's not THE story.

And no, black guys don't put up 40 on the Lakers in MSG on national television all the time. He's played at a ridiculous level, and won games for the Knicks (When Carmelo and Amare couldn't).

I liked Hollinger's opinion. And pretty much felt the way he did. I couldn't tell you why, maybe it was the fact that he was from Harvard..or maybe it was simply his style of play, but he was always the opposing player I remembered - and really liked. I never expected him to explode like he has. But I did think he was capable of being a dynamic backup.

Hoop
02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Let's just face it, it's Jeremy Lin's World and were just lucky enough to be living in it.

Seriously, he's been incredible. I don't think he can keep it up, but what a great run he's had. He's proven he can play in this league, his numbers are certain to come down. I don't think it's all a fluke, he's pretty darn good.

vapacersfan
02-13-2012, 08:21 PM

@FloydMayweather: Lin's a good player but the hype is b/c he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night, dont get same praise

What a complete tool.

TinManJoshua
02-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Floyd's just mad people talk about that Asian dude in his weight class than him, and is taking it out on all Asian dudes.

King Tuts Tomb
02-13-2012, 10:14 PM
The New Yorker had an article about how people think about Lin in China, along with a listing of all the NBA team name translations used in China. A couple are pretty funny.

http://beat.baidu.com/?p=3993

步行者 bùxíngzhě = “walker,” “pedestrian” = Indiana Pacers

奇才 qícái = “prodigy,” “marvel” = Washington Wizards

热火 rèhuǒ = “hot fire” = Miami Heat

湖人 húrén = “lake people” = Los Angeles Lakers

vnzla81
02-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Lin is bringing back NY with one minute to go, 24 and 11 for him so far.

vnzla81
02-14-2012, 09:37 PM
:censored::censored: Lin with the clutch shot, Lin is for real guys, OMG.

CT Pacer
02-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Wow, what a finish from Lin.

Naptown_Seth
02-14-2012, 09:40 PM

What part of FIRST player do these idiots not get?

Whitlock's racism is pathetic actually, and I don't mean here either, I mean like the rest of you do - nearly every other topic he's ever covered.

Lin's story is about a d-league HARVARD player making it big in NYC. So apart from being dismissed in the draft, having to climb his way up to the NBA ranks, and being about the only person I can think of from Harvard to become an NBA high quality player...and then to do this in NYC and in a NY minute no less....well other than that it is all about that he's Asian.

That's Oriental to you Mr. Whitlock.

Kstat
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
....the legend continues. What an amazing finish by Lin!

GrangerRanger
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Game winner! I freaking love this boy.

vnzla81
02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Reggie Miller @ReggieMillerTNT
OK, I GIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!! Its Legit!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!

Lance George
02-14-2012, 09:44 PM
27 & 11 on solid 9-20 shooting (including 2-2 from downtown). He did have 8 turnovers, though.

He's an article on Lin's upcoming free agency...

Finally, a Definitive Answer on Jeremy Lin’s Contract Status | KnickerBlogger.Net (http://knickerblogger.net/finally-a-definitive-answer-on-jeremy-lins-contract-status/)

While it pains me to basically just re-post what I originally posted five days ago before I was convinced to edit my original piece, now that we have apparently as definitive of an answer on the topic as we’re going to get from the great Howard Beck from the New York Times, I figured it made sense to share the situation (which, again, has finally been verified by Beck).

Here, then, is the contract status for Jeremy Lin…

Lin is not eligible for so-called “Early Bird Rights,” which means a player that has played for a team for at least two years. In the NBA CBA, you can transfer your Bird Rights if you were traded from one team to another. So if Lin had been traded from the Golden State Warriors to the Knicks, the Knicks would have his “Early Bird Rights.” However, since he was waived by the Warriors, as soon as he was waived, his Bird Rights reset. Therefore, Lin counts only as having played for the Knicks for one single season.

Landry Fields, having played for the Knicks for two years, has “Early Bird Rights.” What it basically comes down is that the Knicks are allowed to go over the cap to pay Fields anything up to the average salary (which is roughly $5 million). Since Lin has no Early Bird Rights, the Knicks are not allowed to go over the cap to re-sign him (besides a general raise of paying him 125% of his current salary – this is an exception available to all free agents in the NBA. Their current team can offer them a raise for the next season of 120% of their current salary. For Lin that’d be roughly $1 million (it is 125% for Lin since he is a restricted free agent, and your qualifying offer for a restricted free agent has to be at least 125% of the player’s current salary, so that is the bare minimum the Knicks can offer Lin for next season – that extra 5% is no chump change).

Since the Knicks will be over the $58 million salary cap this offseason but under the $70 million luxury cap, the Knicks will have access to both of the major exceptions. The Bi-Annual Exception (which is roughly $2 million and available, naturally enough, every other year – so long as you’re over the cap and under the luxury cap) and the Mid-Level Exception, which is roughly $5 million (available every year, provided you are over the cap and under the luxury cap). They can pay Lin under either of the two.

Where the Knicks luck out is the fact that both Lin and Fields, since they’re coming off their initial two-year contracts (while the Knicks did not gain Lin’s Early Bird Rights, they at least did inherit his original two-year contract), they are both restricted free agents this year. Not only that, but they are governed by the so-called “Gilbert Arenas Provision.” This limits the amount of money other teams can offer either Lin or Fields to a maximum starting salary of the average NBA salary (roughly $5 million).

Since the Knicks own Fields’ Early Bird Rights, they can match any offer without having to use their mid-level exception. However, since Lin does not have Early Bird Rights, the Knicks would have to dip into their exceptions (and almost certainly the mid-level) to match any offer sheet for Lin.

So the good news is that the Knicks are guaranteed to be able to keep both Fields and Lin if they want to. The bad news is that if anyone makes an offer of over $2 million to Lin, the Knicks would have to dip into their mid-level exception to pay for it, therefore effectively nullifying the MLE as a tool to sign a good free agent (like, say, Steve Nash). So they might be in a situation where they would have to choose between Nash and Lin. Who would you choose?

One tricky aspect of the Gilbert Arenas Provision is that teams could still sign Lin to deals bigger than just the MLE times however many years (like 4 years/$20 million), they just can’t have the first two years be larger than the MLE so that the Knicks cannot be outbid. The first year has to be for $5 million. However, if a team is, say, $11 million under the cap, they can offer Lin a 4 year/$44 million contract (you have to be currently under the cap by whatever the average yearly figure of the deal is). The first two years would be for the MLE and then the last two years would be backloaded so that the entire deal would average out to $44 million (so the first two years would be $5 million a year and the last two years would basically have to be $16 million a year each). It is highly unlikely that a team would throw such backloaded payments into a deal, as it is not good for anyone’s salary cap, but I can imagine a team figuring that it would be especially bad for the Knicks, what with the increases in Melo and STAT and Chandler’s salaries in three years. Imagine the luxury tax that the Knicks would have to pay! So do not be surprised if a team tries to give Lin a deal for more than $5 million a year. Still, if Dolan is willing to pay the luxury tax, then the Knicks cannot be outbid.

So that’s pretty much it. The Knicks can keep both Fields and Lin, but if they keep Lin, they are pretty much saying goodbye to any other notable free agent. With the way Lin is playing, though, that is not such a bad thing.

Thanks to Larry Coon for his invaluable Salary Cap FAQ (https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q27), which turned out to be absolutely right on target (as it said “If a player is waived and is claimed by another team before he clears waivers, then his Bird clock resets”). And thanks to the aforementioned Howard Beck!

BornReady
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
WOW JEREMY LIN

vnzla81
02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi
Jeremy Lin: 27 points, 11 assists, 2 rebounds. Hit the game-winning 3-pointer and scored 12 points in the 4th quarter.

vnzla81
02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Dave McMenamin @mcten
The Lakers' players lounge just erupted when Lin hit that big 3. World Peace emerged and ran through the locker room yelling 'Linsanity!!'

Retweeted by SportsCenter