PDA

View Full Version : Kevin love stomps on scola

Ownagedood
02-05-2012, 01:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lb3nbd6-AQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love apparently has been hanging with Suh. Completely uncalled for.

Is this how he plans to beat us next time?

gummy
02-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Wow. You can see when he steps over him, hesitates and then stomps that it's intentional. He could have done serious injury to Scola. I hope to see a major suspension. Anything under 5 games is ridiculous, and I'm not even sure if that's enough.

Sandman21
02-05-2012, 02:03 AM
I think its time to check the pills that Kevin has been taking since Wednesday night......

Dr. Awesome
02-05-2012, 02:03 AM
I said this with the Suh incident:

I never wish harm on any player. I don't care if its game 7 in the NBA finals, and we are playing the Lakers. I want every player on both teams 100% healthy.

That being said, when I see someone intentionally try to hurt someone, thats when I get enraged. If the league doesn't suspend the guy(for a long time), I take matters into my own hands. I want to make Kevin Love hurt.

Hicks
02-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Douche.

PGisthefuture
02-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Ahhhh..... so this is how you be "tough"....

DGPR
02-05-2012, 02:11 AM
It almost makes me wish Granger would have cleaned his clock the other night.

graphic-er
02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
WOW. That was terrible sportsman ship by Love. No reason to stomp on a guy as take off in the other direction , that should never happen by accident. I hope the league gives him 10 games and bans him from the all star game.

cdash
02-05-2012, 02:17 AM
Dick move for sure. I am not as incredulous as some of you though. Three games is fine by me in a shortened season.

PacersHomer
02-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Kevin Love is a piece of *****. Make the playoffs before you think you are a god to basketball, douche.

imawhat
02-05-2012, 02:59 AM
This is so out of character for him, but he's been a tool for two games now.

I'm curious how this will be reported in the media. If Artest had done it.....

He better get a hefty suspension.

Hoop
02-05-2012, 03:33 AM
If doesn't get some kind of suspension I'm going to be majorly pi$$ed

AesopRockOn
02-05-2012, 04:03 AM
This is so out of character for him, but he's been a tool for two games now.

This. What if a month from now we look back on this and think about how someone should have gotten him some help? Maybe a suspension would be good if he's actually going through some **** and needs time to deal with it. Not trying to make excuses, but this kind of a play would be odd for even a J.R. Smith or Spreewell. It sounds weird given the context but I hope Kevin Love is okay...

PGisthefuture
02-05-2012, 05:55 AM
This. What if a month from now we look back on this and think about how someone should have gotten him some help? Maybe a suspension would be good if he's actually going through some **** and needs time to deal with it. Not trying to make excuses, but this kind of a play would be odd for even a J.R. Smith or Spreewell. It sounds weird given the context but I hope Kevin Love is okay...

I'm starting to wonder if Love has some sort of off-court problems going on because he just seems really dirty on the court lately.

King Tuts Tomb
02-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Extra weird because Love is held up by the league and media as one of the good guys of the next generation along with Durant, Rubio and Griffin.

I don't know him personally obviously so I can't say whether Love's a bad guy or not. I know I've been so mad playing sports that I damn near snapped, although I never stepped on a guy's head. It's easy to get lost in the heat of the moment.

King Tuts Tomb
02-05-2012, 06:38 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Love has some sort of off-court problems going on because he just seems really dirty on the court lately.

I haven't seen Love's career outside of highlights, is this a recent thing? During the little scuffle with Granger the Wolves announcers made a big deal about Love being one of the good guys in the league and he would never intentionally hack another player, which was ridiculous because he quite clearly hacked Granger hard and intentionally.

sportfireman
02-05-2012, 07:32 AM
WOW. That was terrible sportsman ship by Love. No reason to stomp on a guy as take off in the other direction , that should never happen by accident. I hope the league gives him 10 games and bans him from the all star game.

At least that much.....

If Stern doesn't fine him stiffly or fairly... It's going to make those B. Hunter racial comments concerning Stern seem kind of true.

Kemo
02-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Here ya go man

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Lb3nbd6-AQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gJL6xO-QcDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kemo
02-05-2012, 07:41 AM
This happened in their prior meeting..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/whUORuZwPQE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A little payback maybe on Love's mind?

Foul on Smits
02-05-2012, 08:00 AM
That didn't look intentional.

ErikD.
02-05-2012, 09:02 AM
That didn't look intentional.
Looks like he tried to make it look unintentional. But in that quick two seconds that was the best his little brain could come up with.

spreedom
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't understand the outrage on this one... looks like Love probably fouled him, and after Scola went down he tried to tangle Love up. And on the earlier play on the highlight, it looks like he takes a few swipes at Love and possibly tried to trip him after the flop as well.

But to be honest, it seems to me like Scola has been in dust-ups like this before... I know there was the Derek Fisher body check in the playoffs a few years ago, and either last season or the one before Rudy Gay went full Ultimate Warrior flying shoulder tackle on him after a skirmish.

In my opinion, Scola is a cheap shot artist who falls down a lot and frequently tangles someone else up in the process. Almost every game I watch him play, I turn to the person next to me and say "This league needs to fine people for flopping."

HC
02-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't understand the outrage on this one... looks like Love probably fouled him, and after Scola went down he tried to tangle Love up. And on the earlier play on the highlight, it looks like he takes a few swipes at Love and possibly tried to trip him after the flop as well.

But to be honest, it seems to me like Scola has been in dust-ups like this before... I know there was the Derek Fisher body check in the playoffs a few years ago, and either last season or the one before Rudy Gay went full Ultimate Warrior flying shoulder tackle on him after a skirmish.

In my opinion, Scola is a cheap shot artist who falls down a lot and frequently tangles someone else up in the process. Almost every game I watch him play, I turn to the person next to me and say "This league needs to fine people for flopping."

Looked like an awful lot of conact to me, I don't see how you think Scola flopped.

spreedom
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Looked like an awful lot of conact to me, I don't see how you think Scola flopped.

On the first play on that highlight, he definitely flops when Love is making a move with the ball.

Nuntius
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Earlier I thought that Scola tried to hit him in the nuts. Well, he clearly missed. :p

Other than that, it is quite obvious that the two players are not fond of each other. At least, not on the court. Scola has an uncanny ability to get under people's skins.

Regardless of how much a guy gets under your skin, stomping him in the head is just not acceptable. He could injure him.

Also, oh the irony. He said that everyone is fouled hard and reacting about is funny. Then he gets in the Houston game, he is fouled (cause Luis did fouled him in the earlier play) and then proceeds to stomp him on the head in the next play.

I prefer what Danny did. I really, really do.

Anthem
02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Makes it a little more likely, to me, that his hit on Danny was intentional. I thought so at the time, but that wipes away the doubt.

Mr_Smith
02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I guess Scola is taking tough guys pills

Psyren
02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Until this last week I never knew Kevin Love was this big of a douche

adamscb
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Love's a piece of ****. i dont care if i know him personally or not, i've seen enough of this sorry excuse of a "good guy"

Shade
02-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Intentionally dirty play.

Given the scope of the shortened season, I can't imagine he deserves any less than 7 games for that stomp.

HC
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
On the first play on that highlight, he definitely flops when Love is making a move with the ball.

As does every other player in the league. The play where Scola got stomped on though was not a flop at all.

PaceBalls
02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
In two games of terrible sportsmanship and running off his mouth he has gone from admired role model to being hated more than Bill Laimbeer. Actually Bill never even stomped on someone's head, the only other guy I can think of who stooped to that level is Albert Haynesworth.

What an A-Hole.

Pacer Fan
02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Douche.

Bag.

spreedom
02-05-2012, 02:03 PM
As does every other player in the league. The play where Scola got stomped on though was not a flop at all.

Disagree on the first point, agree on the second. No big man flops harder or more frequently than Scola.

rexnom
02-05-2012, 02:22 PM
It looks unintentional to me. And apparently Love sought out Scola after the game and apologized.

Eddie Gill
02-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I have seen/heard nothing from KLove this past week to indicate to me that he respects the game of basketball or his opposition. Dude has seriously come across as nothing but a thug this season.

ECKrueger
02-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Looked entirely intentional to me. I guess if he did personally apologize it makes me feel a little better, but still that was definitely a dick move.

graphic-er
02-05-2012, 02:40 PM
It looks unintentional to me. And apparently Love sought out Scola after the game and apologized.

Link?

spreedom
02-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Everything looks measured and intentional in slow-mo... in real time, it looked pretty incidental to me.

And to say that Love doesn't respect the game of basketball....

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/276619_205667889494462_7502323_n.jpg

Eddie Gill
02-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Everything looks measured and intentional in slow-mo... in real time, it looked pretty incidental to me.

And to say that Love doesn't respect the game of basketball....

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/276619_205667889494462_7502323_n.jpg

What has he done this week to indicate that? Cheap foul on Granger, calling out an opponent after a loss, stomping on Scola's face... I'm sure he respects the game of basketball, but this week he's acting as if its his god-given right to play it. I don't get to see a lot of Kevin Love, but based on this week, count me as highly unimpressed.

CreekShow
02-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Whether he meant to step on his face or not, he knew he was going to plant off Scola one way or another. Most people wouldnt have took off and planted like that knowing someone was directly underneath you. Dirty play.

It amazing how my respect for Love has done a complete 180 this past week. I used to really enjoy watching him. Now hes just another NBA player I cant wait to see the Pacers beat the hell out of

Shade
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Really? Love looked right down at Scola before stepping on his face.

Lurkster
02-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Nah, the league can just allow players to intentionally face stomp other players in retaliation. You seem to be condoning it. Why not?

Think of how many times you see a guy go down in traffic, and then how many times you've seen a guy get stepped on, ANYWHERE on his body? It's surprisingly infrequent. You're giving Love WAY more benefit of the doubt than he's due.

Also to whoever said that Love apologized to Scola after the game--wouldn't you think that Scola would mention that in his post-game interview? He clearly wanted to minimize the incident but doesn't even hint that he thinks it was unintentional.

MiaDragon
02-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Disagree on the first point, agree on the second. No big man flops harder or more frequently than Scola.

I know right! He definitely deserved to be face stomped.

MiaDragon
02-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Really?

JB24
02-05-2012, 05:52 PM

He's saving face. Dude stepped on him and never looked back- not the behavior of a remorseful individual. Plus, as others have mentioned, he looks right at Scola before planting his foot.

Nuntius
02-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Luis Scola will never forget the way that Kevin Love celebrated after stomping his face.

Oh wait, wrong meme? :dance:

spreedom
02-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Nah, the league can just allow players to intentionally face stomp other players in retaliation. You seem to be condoning it. Why not?

I know right! He definitely deserved to be face stomped.

In what world does "I think it was unintentional" mean "That flopper deserved to get his flopping face stomped in"? Get a clue.

If this was done intentionally I 100% think that Love acted inappropriately and deserves to get suspended. I don't at all condone intentionally stomping someone's face. It was no place in basketball. But I don't think he did it intentionally.

If someone is accused of murder and I defend that person, is that condoning murder, or is it saying that I don't think the person did it?

idioteque
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Really? Love looked right down at Scola before stepping on his face.

There is no way to say this without sound like a Love apologist but it is very possible that he could have looked at Scola while his leg was on the way down and still have had no way to arrest his forward motion.

BringJackBack
02-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Douchebag or not, Kevin Love would be a hell of a player on the Pacers... Love/Hibbert/West/Hansbrough? :drool:

spreedom
02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pByAkPfoEaQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pByAkPfoEaQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

imawhat
02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
It didn't look like Austin meant to step on his opponent to me.

ksuttonjr76
02-05-2012, 09:38 PM
The stomp was intentional. Throwing the ball at his nuts was unintentional...it was just a bad throw. Heck, I've done it before on accident, because the ball was slipping out of my hand right as I was trying to throw the ball at my opponents' legs.

xBulletproof
02-05-2012, 11:31 PM
It looked like he saw that Scola had his arms in the way of his foot and knew he was going to trip if he kept going, so he put his foot down to keep from falling down. There was a fast break and he wanted to get down the floor.

I'm gonna guess if we hadn't just had the Love/Granger/tough guy issue in the last few days people wouldn't be jumping all over this as much.

Anthem
02-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm gonna guess if we hadn't just had the Love/Granger/tough guy issue in the last few days people wouldn't be jumping all over this as much.
Granted. But because he HAD just cheap shouted Granger, then made snide/bizarre comments after the game, then did this a couple of days later, a pattern of behavior emerges.

I watched the game with the Minny announcers wondering why Granger was bothered.

Day-V
02-06-2012, 02:28 AM
It looks unintentional to me.

:50cent:

xBulletproof
02-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Granted. But because he HAD just cheap shouted Granger, then made snide/bizarre comments after the game, then did this a couple of days later, a pattern of behavior emerges.

I watched the game with the Minny announcers wondering why Granger was bothered.

This is his 4th year in the NBA. Is it really a 'pattern' if you notice two events in four years? I am aware the events were closer together than that, but in 4 years this is the sum of the evidence you have.

ECKrueger
02-06-2012, 04:01 AM
It's not a pattern at the moment, but he said a pattern emerging, which I could see. Also, this is Minny's first year in the spot light sort of. So it is possible, although I don't know and I doubt it, that he has had a little of this in him before and it just went unnoticed.

Overall I'd say it's definitely too early to say he's a dirty player or any thing, but it's definitely worth watching and seeing if any thing else happens.

Heisenberg
02-06-2012, 04:19 AM
I really don't think he did it on purpose.

Indra
02-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I don't think he went into that play planning to stomp on anyone's head, but I think he saw an opportunity for a small cheap shot at a down player and took it. Yes, he was fighting for position and the ball, but he made an effort to kick down and backwards at him.

rexnom
02-06-2012, 07:14 AM
I don't think he went into that play planning to stomp on anyone's head, but I think he saw an opportunity for a small cheap shot at a down player and took it. Yes, he was fighting for position and the ball, but he made an effort to kick down and backwards at him.
Really? Who thinks like that?

A stomp is not even the correct word to describe it. He stepped on Scola. He didn't go out of his way to stomp him like Suh. There was literally nowhere else his foot could have landed with the way his momentum was carrying him. It was certainly a foul on the play before that but I don't think the stomp was intentional.

I don't see the fuss, sorry.

rexnom
02-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Here's a link for the Love apology: http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/02/05/the-kevin-love-stomp/

Heisenberg
02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
good thing the Wolves aren't very good. who knows what kinda ire a post game celebration like this could draw;

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/KEVIN-LOVE-RICKY-RUBIO-DX-SUCK-IT.gif

way to leave Anthony Tolliver hangin

Nuntius
02-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Poor Tolliver :(

spreedom
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
good thing the Wolves aren't very good. who knows what kinda ire a post game celebration like this could draw;

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/KEVIN-LOVE-RICKY-RUBIO-DX-SUCK-IT.gif

way to leave Anthony Tolliver hangin

The Wolves are 12-12... at .500 right now in what is currently the toughest division in the NBA. Has anyone looked at the records in the Northwest Division?

OKC 18-5 (.783)
Denver 15-9 (.625)
Utah 13-9 (.591)
Portland 14-10 (.583)
Minnesota 12-12 (.500)

It's the only division without any teams under .500 and that record ties them with Memphis for 10th in the super-competitive West -- but they're also only two games out of 5th.

Nuntius
02-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree on Wolves being a good team this year. Not an elite team but they definately deserve to be above .500

Heisenberg
02-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm a 2011/12 Pacers fan, I laugh at .500 records.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Here's a link for the Love apology: http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/02/05/the-kevin-love-stomp/

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/138721959.html

Said Love: "It happened to be his face, just like Houston, where it happened to be my groin."

Interpret that as you will.

ECKrueger
02-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Ya, sounds really sorry...

I no longer like him at all.

trey
02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Really? Who thinks like that?

A stomp is not even the correct word to describe it. He stepped on Scola. He didn't go out of his way to stomp him like Suh. There was literally nowhere else his foot could have landed with the way his momentum was carrying him. It was certainly a foul on the play before that but I don't think the stomp was intentional.

I don't see the fuss, sorry.

You really don't see a problem with it? Love is not an old man that can barely walk, it's not hard to hop on 1 foot to avoid stepping on Scola. I've hopped on 1 foot to avoid stepping on my dog before, Love couldn't even show that respect to a human.

Haywoode Workman
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
just watched the video in OP's post and i have to say i disagree with most of you guys, that looked completely unintentional.

and those refs sure were letting them play. love was getting butchered at the other end.

JB24
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/138721959.html

Interpret that as you will.

If it is unintentional, the dude's not exactly sorry. Again, I don't know of anyone that accidentally steps on someone's face and doesn't even bother to turn around and check.

And the scuffle with Granger has nothing to do with it in my case. I'm in the minority that doesn't really think that incident was all that dirty, but this most certainly is. The "apology" means nothing, he's just spinning it because he knows a suspension's coming.

Trader Joe
02-06-2012, 01:20 PM
You don't accidentally step in the middle of a guy's chest playing basketball especially as you are running up the court.

avoidingtheclowns
02-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Ken Berger (https://twitter.com/#!/KBergCBS)
Busy day for Stu Jackson. Wolves' Kevin Love suspended two games without pay for kicking the Rockets' Luis Scola Saturday, league says.
2 minutes ago

Love suspended for "driving his foot into the upper body and face" of Scola, league says. Incident upgraded to flagrant foul, penalty two.
2 minutes ago

Love will serve suspension Tuesday vs. Kings and Wednesday at Grizzlies.
1 minute ago

Since86
02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
and those refs sure were letting them play. love was getting butchered at the other end.

So it's justified?

The phsyicality of the game doesn't have any influence on whether or not you think stomping on someone should be acceptable or not.

graphic-er
02-06-2012, 01:32 PM
LOL at you people defending the incident by saying that play was rough on the other end before the stomp. Cause yeah, that makes it okay to stomp on a guy while you take off down the floor. He didn't have to take off on top of a guy, he could have stepped wide, he could have stepped forward. Dirty player, and all you have to do is watch the guy play for a series to realize it. His rebounding techniques clearly show is game.

spreedom
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
LOL at you people defending the incident by saying that play was rough on the other end before the stomp. Cause yeah, that makes it okay to stomp on a guy while you take off down the floor. He didn't have to take off on top of a guy, he could have stepped wide, he could have stepped forward. Dirty player, and all you have to do is watch the guy play for a series to realize it. His rebounding techniques clearly show is game.

Wait, so now he plays dirty when he rebounds too? I can't believe anyone would think that. Physical, absolutely, but that part of the game is supposed to be physical. But not dirty at all. I'd love to see a single example of a part of his rebounding technique that could be at all considered dirty. He boxes out like a champ and has a nose for the ball that most others don't. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

Eddie Gill
02-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Wait, so now he plays dirty when he rebounds too? I can't believe anyone would think that. Physical, absolutely, but that part of the game is supposed to be physical. But not dirty at all. I'd love to see a single example of a part of his rebounding technique that could be at all considered dirty. He boxes out like a champ and has a nose for the ball that most others don't. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

I wish I had time to pull some clips for you. I don't know that I would call Love's rebounding 'dirty', but he definitely gets away with a lot. Not saying he's Carlos Boozer, but still.

Haywoode Workman
02-06-2012, 04:02 PM
So it's justified?

The phsyicality of the game doesn't have any influence on whether or not you think stomping on someone should be acceptable or not.

where did i say it was justified? how can an unintentional act be justified anyway?

Since86
02-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Then what does the phsyicality of the game have to do with the situation? I didn't say you did say it was justified. I asked it.

PaceBalls
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Why hasn't he been suspended yet?

If a Pacer had done this, it would be a 7 game suspension with a $100,000 fine... or more.

Freakin NBA and their double standards. They know it's bad publicity for their golden boy so nothing is done.

edit: oops I guess they did suspend him! Only 2 games though. Pfft!

Haywoode Workman
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Then what does the phsyicality of the game have to do with the situation? I didn't say you did say it was justified. I asked it.

i was making an observation. i couldn't believe there were no fouls called throughout that whole exchange.

TheDon
02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I think he should have at least had a 5 game suspension...what garbage. I know a lot of people will get on me for this line of thinking, but I really wholeheartedly believe had it been someone without as big a name as Love is in the league it would have been a much larger suspension.

Peck
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
He got a two game suspension.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34723827

The NBA announced Monday that Timberwolves forward Kevin Love has been suspended two games without pay for stepping on the face of Rockets forward Luis Scola Friday.

The league said Love was suspended for "driving his foot into the upper body and face" and upgraded it to a Flagrant 2 foul.

Love claimed it was an accident after the game saying, "He was kind of right there ... I have size-19 feet. He just happened to be there. I had nowhere to go. I kind of tripped up. I just had nowhere to step. It was a Heat-of-the-moment type play. He was there and it happened to be his face."

The NBA didn't see it that way though.

Love released this statement Monday after the suspension:

I want to publicly apologize to Luis Scola and the Houston Rockets. My intention is to never hurt another player on the basketball court. Ive always had the utmost respect for the game of basketball and all of my opponents. I also apologize to my coaches, teammates and our fans for the consequences of my actions.

It's a blow to the Wolves who are actually in the mix for the eight-seed in the West, but every game is of major importance. Two games without their best player could be something that comes back to bite them.

Fair suspension? It's so hard to judge intent and Love claimed innocence after the play, but still, the video suggests otherwise. Stu Jackson and the league determined it was a dirty play by Love and chose to suspended him for it. Love isn't a dirty player and like he said, it was a heat-of-the-moment type of play where you just lose your mind for a second. It's easy to see why he got the suspension and honestly, not all the surprising, I guess.

Hoop
02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I can not fathom how anyone with a functioning brain can say it was an accident.

PR07
02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Must've had too many tough guy pills

Sandman21
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
2 games is crap.

MnvrChvy
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Uh.... wow. I read all these comments before I got a chance to get home to watch the video. I figured it would look a little less blatant than that. The dude didn't even put his foot down where his momentum would have taken him. He kicked BACK to step on Scola's face. That their was no foul called anywhere in that play should get a REF suspended.
I understand letting guys play and all, and yes Scola is a flopper, but that was down right ridiculous. I don't know who it was that said it earlier, but I think they might be right that Love is having personal issues. I like his game, and would hate to think he's really this kind of player.

gummy
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Two games? Ridiculous. I guess he'd have to crush the guy's windpipe to get five games off. ;)

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I'd guess they're taking the shortened season into consideration when handing out that suspension.

Now if only they could have taken that into consideration when deciding the price for League Pass.

Pacer Fan
02-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Love was inspired by the Pacers toughness and he thought he'd try to be tough against Houston. You see, he's just learning how to be tough and just went alittle to far with it. He just is't a professional tough guy like the Pacers.

immortality
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
In this season 2 games is quite a lot, especially at this point and Timberwolves finally achieve .500. Maybe we will get to see Derrick Williams, and if he was worth the 2nd pick.

glazedham42
02-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I think they should've given him a 3 game suspension. Add one extra game because he should've been tossed from that game instead of being allowed to finish.

Bball
02-07-2012, 12:51 AM
So we've learned Love hurts...
Cue the Everly Brothers.

Other joke under consideration involved cueing J Geils Band....

mattie
02-07-2012, 12:57 AM
He only got suspended two games because he's white. That's the reality.

I will now run and hide from all of your hate... (sorry for saying the truth)

jeffg-body
02-07-2012, 01:28 AM
I don't think it is a severe enough penalty. If the league really wants to curb this crap from happening it should have been a five game suspension, a fine and tossed right there when it happened. I could care less that this is shortened and condensed season, he needs to be put in his place.

Hicks
02-07-2012, 01:52 AM

:rolleyes: I'm glad this drive-by 'opinion-cited-as-fact' post was so important to you that it was worth the potential train wreck it may cause to this thread. Congratulations!! :rollout:

spazzxb
02-07-2012, 02:32 AM

:wtf:
:banhim:
:iagree:
:trashcan:
:ignore:+ants

The emoticons hate you. I feel sorry for you.

(not really calling for you to be banned, that was the emoticons)

mattie
02-07-2012, 02:45 AM
It shouldn't have to derail the thread though. Pointing out the media's skewed viewpoint on the sports world shouldn't be a volatile subject. It's not like it's anything new either.

Cam Newton had 4700 yards and 35 TD's last year. As a rookie. What was ESPN's story? A white christian QB who played worst than probably every starting QB other than Orlovsky and Painter.

This should serve to enlighten each other on the realities of the world we live in. But, now days "racism doesn't exist."

So fine, if everyone this board has no ability to consider that race is definitely playing a clear role in this story? Then just delete my post. We'll forget it and move on. Because you can't talk about race anymore.

Edit- The media plays a clear role in these types of stories. If a black player did something like that he'd be labled a "thug" and there would be outrage. I say this because ESPN is virtually ignoring this story. They refuse to give it the actual play it deserves, and give Love the criticism he deserves for his dirty play.

spazzxb
02-07-2012, 02:47 AM
. Love isn't a dirty player and like he said, it was a heat-of-the-moment type of play where you just lose your mind for a second.

A. He's dirty
b. Heat of the moment isn't an accident.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Peck
02-07-2012, 02:55 AM
A. He's dirty
b. Heat of the moment isn't an accident.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Oh, that quote is from my article I cited. I thought you were saying I said that.... whew...

Peck
02-07-2012, 02:57 AM
It shouldn't have to derail the thread though. Pointing out the media's skewed viewpoint on the sports world shouldn't be a volatile subject. It's not like it's anything new either.

Cam Newton had 4700 yards and 35 TD's last year. As a rookie. What was ESPN's story? A white christian QB who played worst than probably every starting QB other than Orlovsky and Painter.

This should serve to enlighten each other on the realities of the world we live in. But, now days "racism doesn't exist."

So fine, if everyone this board has no ability to consider that race is definitely playing a clear role in this story? Then just delete my post. We'll forget it and move on. Because you can't talk about race anymore.

Edit- The media plays a clear role in these types of stories. If a black player did something like that he'd be labled a "thug" and there would be outrage. I say this because ESPN is virtually ignoring this story. They refuse to give it the actual play it deserves, and give Love the criticism he deserves for his dirty play.

God help me for falling for this but I have to ask.

Are you saying he was only suspended because he is white and if he were black, brown or other he would not have been suspended?

Or are you saying that he only got a two game suspension instead of a longer one because of the color of his skin.

Your message isn't coming across very well here, at least to me.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see you have added to your post. I don't know about ESPN but I can assure you most of the writers for national rags who post on twitter were sure covering it and all but one or two were lining up behind the "it was a dirty play" line of thinking.

I don't think it has as much to do with the color of his skin as it does the high profile the NBA has tried very hard to give him over the past couple of years. The do not want to damage the cash cow (right or wrong) and therefor he gets a penalty and in a couple of weeks this will all be over.

mattie
02-07-2012, 03:01 AM

Are you saying he was only suspended because he is white and if he were black, brown or other he would not have been suspended?

Or are you saying that he only got a two game suspension instead of a longer one because of the color of his skin.

Your message isn't coming across very well here, at least to me.

I'm saying if he was black, it would be a national story on how Kevin Love is a thug, and that the NBA is made up of thugs etc. I feel very confident that would happen. Yes, he probably would have gotten a much longer suspension, though that I'm not completely confident on. The main thing I see is ESPN ignoring Love kicking someone in the face. That's ridiculous.

pezasied182
02-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Looks intentional, and I'm fine with a two game suspension. The team I'm going up against this week in fantasy has him, so it helps my chances.

EDIT: He already clarified his comment above.

Jessen
02-07-2012, 03:03 AM
absolutely intentional. He's athletic enough...easily could have avoided stepping on scola. It would be one thing if he did it and then shut up about it. But his interviews after the game(and the pacers game) make me think that he has some trouble controlling emotion. These types of plays really don't help the league's image. There's just no place for it.

mattie
02-07-2012, 03:05 AM

Edit: Nevermind, I now see you have added to your post. I don't know about ESPN but I can assure you most of the writers for national rags who post on twitter were sure covering it and all but one or two were lining up behind the "it was a dirty play" line of thinking.

I don't think it has as much to do with the color of his skin as it does the high profile the NBA has tried very hard to give him over the past couple of years. The do not want to damage the cash cow (right or wrong) and therefor he gets a penalty and in a couple of weeks this will all be over.

Maybe that's the case.

Sure.

It's just extremely frustrating how ESPN covers stories sometimes.

Also I'm mostly talking about their News coverage, not necessarily the commentary. I know all their personalities discuss it on twitter and the like. But what really makes a story take shape and form a narrative the rest of the country believes is when the news side of ESPN reports a story. Sportscenter and every other news show on ESPN has put no effort in showing what a dirty play that was, and how Love should receive harsh repercussions.

Peck
02-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Maybe that's the case.

Sure.

I don't think you'll find much if any disagreement with that statement. That is why NBAtv is your friend.:)

Jessen
02-07-2012, 03:13 AM
Maybe that's the case.

Sure.

That's the media for you though. You're right to think it's utter bull ****. And I believe you are right that the media would be on top of it more if it was a black athlete that did it. I certainly know quite a few people who would shout out the "tattooed thug" line if it was a black nba athlete who pulled off a stunt like that. Racism is not dead. It shouldn't be ignored, but at the same time there is very little you can do to influence old generation's opinions

AesopRockOn
02-07-2012, 03:25 AM
I'm saying if he was black, it would be a national story on how Kevin Love is a thug, and that the NBA is made up of thugs etc. I feel very confident that would happen. Yes, he probably would have gotten a much longer suspension, though that I'm not completely confident on. The main thing I see is ESPN ignoring Love kicking someone in the face. That's ridiculous.

I generally agree with this. I do think that it mattered whom he allegedly kicked in the face. It being an international player might make a difference than if it were Lebron or Nash. It's odd but it's kind of a good thing that a relatively non-known white American player stomped a relatively non-known international player. It blows over. Btw, if he stomped JJ, the suspension would have been redickulous.

Also, comparing Love to Tebow is silly. He's been a media star long before his first NFL season.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this is an actual discussion with points rather than a wasteland of ignorant mudslinging. Though there's still hope. :devil:

spazzxb
02-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Oh, that quote is from my article I cited. I thought you were saying I said that.... whew...

I wasn't sure, since its not in a grey quote box and only direct statements from KL are in quote marks. However, that wasn't something I would expect you to write. I quoted it because it really did make me think WTF ( I was also trying to talk about something other than color).

I updated the citation.

CJ Jones
02-07-2012, 03:49 AM

Sorry, but this is :bs:. That white christian QB (names Andy Dalton btw) was an all-pro, and led a team that was picked by most 'experts' to place dead last in the NFL this year, to the playoffs... and still, all you heard on ESPN was how great Cam was. They didn't start talking about Andy until it was looking like the Bengals would make the playoffs. Bad example IMO

mattie
02-07-2012, 03:55 AM
Sorry, but this is :bs:. That white christian QB (names Andy Dalton btw) was an all-pro, and led a team that was picked by most 'experts' to place dead last in the NFL this year, to the playoffs... and still, all you heard on ESPN was how great Cam was. They didn't start talking about Andy until it was looking like the Bengals would make the playoffs. Bad example IMO

This is a terrible place to have a discussion about quarterbacks. If you'd like to discuss it, go here: http://thestartingfive.net/2012/01/20/white-quarterback-privilege-part-i-tim-tebow-alex-smith-and-the-freedom-to-fail-by-charles-modiano/

spazzxb
02-07-2012, 04:14 AM
This is a terrible place to have a discussion about quarterbacks.

Um, we have a Colts/NFL board. Oh, I see what you did.

CJ Jones
02-07-2012, 04:16 AM
This is a terrible place to have a discussion about quarterbacks. If you'd like to discuss it, go here: http://thestartingfive.net/2012/01/20/white-quarterback-privilege-part-i-tim-tebow-alex-smith-and-the-freedom-to-fail-by-charles-modiano/

I don't need to discuss it. The man was next in line because of his QBR, and the fact that he led his team to the playoffs. Are you really saying you heard ESPN talk more about Andy Dalton this year than Cam Newton:eek:? You gotta be a Panther fan.

Bball
02-07-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm confused... I thought it was Tim Tebow he meant. ...and most of the talk about Tebow wasn't to glorify him because he was blue, green, or otherwise... It was to question him and his abilities and the strange dichotomy between how badly he played a large portion of each of the games yet still managed to win (to a point anyway). He was probably ridiculed more than he was praised actually. Yes, he was talked about on ESPN and the like but not in any glowing sense. He was almost a running joke. Shoot, he was a running joke. I think sports panels had to draw straws to see who'd get the short straw and have to defend Tebow as the rest of the panel got to point out his bad stats, religion, and work in the latest Tebow joke.

Love has had a decent reputation so if he got any benefit of the doubt in the penalty handed out or the discussion about it nationally then it's probably because it was looked at as out of the norm for him.

The reputation of the individual athlete will matter more in these decisions and the discussion of it in the media rather than the color of the athlete's skin. ...IMHO...

CJ Jones
02-07-2012, 06:44 AM
I'm confused... I thought it was Tim Tebow he meant.

I see now. I didn't look at his link. It was Dalton and Cam in the race for rookie of the year, so I assumed that was the white christian he was talking about.

He should probably show some respect and use the mans name if he wants to be taken seriously.

Nuntius
02-07-2012, 10:47 AM
It being an international player might make a difference than if it were Lebron or Nash.

Isn't Nash international as well? Or you don't consider Canadians international? :p

Hicks
02-07-2012, 11:39 AM

I love how you think I need you to enlighten me or otherwise that I think racism doesn't exist. Presumption Fail.

Shade
02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Two games is absurdly low.

Stern really needs to stop with the arbitrary suspension lengths. It's stuff like this that hurts the NBA's credibility and projects the perception of favoritism.

Ownagedood
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Stern gave the Pacers the middle finger when we made a mistake :(

The Malace at the Palace will forever haunt me in my memories of the Pacers. In my era of following Pacer basketball that was the best team we had ever formed and it was all taken away in one night. We destroyed the Pistons that night and we were on our way to a real possibility of a championship with that team. One night, a few bad decsions in the "heat of the moment".. Destroyed us. Took us basically until this year to be a real threat again and we still aren't quite there yet.

He gives Love 2 games for blatantly stomping on a player.. C'mon man!

vapacersfan
02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Race has nothing to do with it.

The NBA, like the NFL with Suh, had to make a tough decision about a star player they helped promote. They choose to try to make a statement while giving said player the "benefit of the doubt"

I am not sure it is fair, but it is life. Personally I would love to see a structure where certain penalties have a minimum and a maximum, but lets not kid ourselves, that structure would have flaws as well.

mattie
02-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I love how you think I need you to enlighten me or otherwise that I think racism doesn't exist. Presumption Fail.

Reading fail. (or maybe my writing fail, probably more likely)

No, I assumed you didn't want to have to deal with a thread getting out of hand, because many times race is a needlessly controversial subject. That was my assumption. I didn't assume I needed to tell you anything.

Pacergeek
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
The clothesline on DG was worse than the stomp. Love is out of control

Ownagedood
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM

From what i remember Love tried to clothesline Danny, but failed for the most part.. His hand was on Danny's inside shoulder, not across his neck. Neither play is clean but i rather get held on the inside of my shoulder, close to my neck, than have my face stomped on.

Nuntius
02-07-2012, 04:07 PM

No. It was not.

AesopRockOn
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Race has nothing to do with it.

The NBA, like the NFL with Suh, had to make a tough decision about a star player they helped promote. They choose to try to make a statement while giving said player the "benefit of the doubt"

I am not sure it is fair, but it is life. Personally I would love to see a structure where certain penalties have a minimum and a maximum, but lets not kid ourselves, that structure would have flaws as well.

I think the discussion was about the way in which race can factor into the coverage a particular event receives from The Media and that the lack of time spent on this particular one was reflective of the non-controversial nature of white-on-(mostly)-white violence. mattie seemed to be arguing that interracial violence (especially non-white-on-white, I think) generally sparks more media attention which wags the dog of public perception. Though you could infer that the lack of media controversy could have had an effect on the suspension ruling, I'm not sure the connection was ever part of the discussion.

Groove1
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Love's a piece of **** player. No room in the NBA for that BS!

Hicks
02-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Reading fail. (or maybe my writing fail, probably more likely)

No, I assumed you didn't want to have to deal with a thread getting out of hand, because many times race is a needlessly controversial subject. That was my assumption. I didn't assume I needed to tell you anything.

You're not really wrong; it's honestly a bit of both (not wanting to deal with the potential mess on the admin side, while personally rolling my eyes at the declaration to begin with).

vapacersfan
02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I think the discussion was about the way in which race can factor into the coverage a particular event receives from The Media and that the lack of time spent on this particular one was reflective of the non-controversial nature of white-on-(mostly)-white violence. mattie seemed to be arguing that interracial violence (especially non-white-on-white, I think) generally sparks more media attention which wags the dog of public perception. Though you could infer that the lack of media controversy could have had an effect on the suspension ruling, I'm not sure the connection was ever part of the discussion.

Not that there is a direct correlation, but FWIW I honestly do believe media attention comes into play when it comes to player discipline.

I am not sure the NBA or NFL ever say "we need to suspend player X because reporter A said so" but I do think they see what the public will react to, and IMO it is just human nature to react on a bigger story.

As for the issue itself, I cannot speak much to ESPN. Though from what I can see it seems the NBA has gotten little coverage compared to past years.

AesopRockOn
02-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Not that there is a direct correlation, but FWIW I honestly do believe media attention comes into play when it comes to player discipline.

I am not sure the NBA or NFL ever say "we need to suspend player X because reporter A said so" but I do think they see what the public will react to, and IMO it is just human nature to react on a bigger story.

As for the issue itself, I cannot speak much to ESPN. Though from what I can see it seems the NBA has gotten little coverage compared to past years.

True on all points. The opaque nature of the league office decision making certainly leads fans to broader speculation as well as just an increasing lack of trust. Public outcry, or the media hype that portends to resemble it (OMG, M.I.A. is destroying children!), seems to have affected past judgments. Carmelo's tap on the cheek on some Knicks player back when he was in Denver garnered quite a lengthy suspension just based on the fact that everyone decided he was being a little *****. That's how I remember it anyway.

Nuntius, great fact checking. I hadn't seen the news that Canada received its independence from America. :D

Nuntius
02-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Nuntius, great fact checking. I hadn't seen the news that Canada received its independence from America. :D

Was this supposed to be green? Or was my comment supposed to be green? ;)

RWB
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
So we've learned Love hurts...
Cue the Everly Brothers.

Other joke under consideration involved cueing J Geils Band....

:buddies: Perfect my friend!!! Of course we maybe too old for others to get it.