PDA

View Full Version : Pacers/Magic postgame thread

avoidingtheclowns
02-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Gross.

righteouscool
02-04-2012, 09:42 PM
The starters, besides collison and george, were clearly tired. oh well, can't do much when you just can't make a shot, but great effort at the end.

Frostwolf
02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
effort was there, legs were not. i wonder how bad this team is going to play on the third leg of a back to back to back if this is an indication, though...

Trophy
It happens to everyone... :shakehead

avoidingtheclowns
Tim Donahue
@8pts9secs At no point in time has Orlando shown any actual interest in wanting to win this game, yet, here we sit.
11 minutes ago

@8pts9secs I'm not kidding. They shouldn't award a win to either team in this game.
10 minutes ago

@8pts9secs If this was game was a horse, they'd shoot it...but probably miss.
9 minutes ago

TheDon
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Really hope Roy rebounds from this, he looked really dejected after that last play

AesopRockOn
02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
At least Tyler played well and aggressive. Hopefully this sparks a few strong games in a row for him.

Also, we've got another four-in-fiver next week, so let's...um, rest more?

AesopRockOn
02-04-2012, 09:47 PM
@8pts9secs If this was game was a horse, they'd shoot it...but probably miss.
9 minutes ago

I don't think even Speilberg could make audiences cheer for this horse.

avoidingtheclowns
02-04-2012, 09:47 PM
In a sea of mostly bad news...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rLADiAmvboQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eddie Gill
02-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Really hope Roy rebounds from this, he looked really dejected after that last play

+ 1 Last thing we need is a slumping Big Fella. Selfishly, I always enjoy seeing guys look as dejected as I feel after a loss. Appreciate his passion.

AesopRockOn
02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RxGth.png

Holy ****, the technical fouls were ridiculous. This may have been the worst game of the season, for the NBA.

Sookie
02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
we lost one this week, that's not too bad..and not unexpected.

I think Vogel made a bit of a coaching mistake, and probably should have stuck with the bench longer than he did (as most were playing better than their starter counterpart).

They were tired. Nice to see Tyler have a good game, Lance make some good plays, AJ run the offense pretty well, and Lou contribute. We need that from them.

BlueNGold
02-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Players are tired and it showed. They were chippy too.

What I will say is that a team like Orlando would have beaten us by 20 last year.

TheDon
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Got two days off we need to forget this game, then we get utah on the tail end of a back to back so hopefully we bounce back. I really want the city to get behind this team, that's why thhese losses hurt me. The common fan will just think "same ol pacers" and the fieldhouse will continue to be a tomb. I really hate our city sometime.

trey
02-04-2012, 09:57 PM
who thinks one of our players will make a "can't wait til the next time we play them..." quote? oh yeah that's right we don't have any cry-baby superstars. good try guys we'll get em next time.

Nuntius
02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I expected this loss. As I've said I just couldn't see us going 5-0. Nor did I expected us to go even 4-1 but anyway. Maybe I jixned us again :p

Anyway, I agree with a lot of the things that have been said till now. It was nice that Tyler had a great game. Our bench was great tonight. I liked that our guys never gave up. Hell, I even liked that Roy looked sad after the turnover. You can see that those guys want to win. They were just too tired to do this tonight.

Also, I agree with TheDon about why this loss hurts more than it should. It was one of the few nights that BLF was packed.

That said, we have to bounce back in Utah. I believe in those guys. They can make it :)

PacerPenguins
02-04-2012, 10:05 PM
just got back from the game... def. a schedule loss and we looked exhausted... i understand how we loss this game and am not really upset

QuickRelease
02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I think the tough part was our starters playing such heavy minutes last night. Then it's tough to have a back to back in Dallas, and then back in Indy. Even the shots we made tonight weren't very clean. Dead legs. I will say that we battled them tough, and had a shot to win it, even though we were running on fumes.

AesopRockOn
02-04-2012, 10:12 PM
It was one of the few nights that BLF was packed.

Have there been any other capacity crowds this year? Opening night I guess?

xIndyFan
02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
just got back from the game... def. a schedule loss and we looked exhausted... i understand how we loss this game and am not really upset

:iagree:

nice to come as close as they did. but 5 games in 7 days is just going to kill the legs, and it showed.

idle thought, do you think vogel decided to play the starters extra early in the week and just gave this game away in exchange for 4 other wins???

Nuntius
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Have there been any other capacity crowds this year? Opening night I guess?

I think it was the Bobcats game with the giveaway.

Bball
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I was thinking the Pacers played last night in Dallas like a playoff game they couldn't afford to lose. Perhaps by that point they could look at this Orlando game at home, the night before the SB, and gamble that home court energy would carry them over the hump. They just didn't leave much on the court in Dallas and didn't try and save anyone's legs for tonight. And that's fine. I'd rather beat Dallas than try and play conservatively to give the team a better chance at tonight and then end up losing both games.

Really, I'm not that disappointed. They fought back. They played hard. Yeah, Vogel maybe could've or should've stuck with the bench longer tonight but hindsight is 20-20. They kept the game close and in the waning moments still had shots to tie the game.

Any one loss doesn't mean anything, just as any one win doesn't mean anything. It's when you look at the trends that mean something and right now the trend is still very good.

They didn't lose because they weren't trying hard to compete, they lost because their shots were all just a little short or a little flat... and that points to tired arms and legs. But they still did their best to defend....

1 game... move on....

Kemo
02-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I am still very proud of our guys and what they have accomplished thus far this season ...
Now let's go get the win on Tuesday vs Utah ...

GO PACERS!

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Another schedule loss....................

crunk-juice
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
DC zero assists in 38 mins, jesus christ.

Tyler is pretty much the only one who didnt play like a horse's *** tonight.

immortality
02-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Like one poster said, even if it did go into overtime, we probably would have ended up crawling through the court. Orlando also looked gas at the end too. In the end we just weren't getting good shots up and were relying too much on jumpers.

immortality

hard to get assist when everyone misses

Nuntius
Another schedule loss....................

Are you trolling or what? :hmm:

Justin Tyme
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Dang just got back into town to see the last couple 2nds of the game. Ist game I've missed this year. Sounds like I didn't miss a thing.

Dallas lost tonight too.

tadscout
02-04-2012, 10:46 PM

I lost count how many times a guy got open, and he just could not get the ball to the open player... opposite of last night DC was very frustrating to watch tonight.

I proud how hard our guys played tonight with dead legs... just wish we would have moved the ball more.

HC
02-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Bad shot selection most of the night imo. Also tired of watching Howard get away with running into the lane and launching his shoulder, arm, or elbow into the defender. Kind of happy we don't have one of these entiled whiny a$# superstars on this team.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 10:51 PM

Tyler had one.

PacersHomer
02-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Take these next two games to get a bunch of rest. They kept on fighting even though most weren't playing well. It's a bummer, but if you told me at the beginning of this 5 game stretch we were going to be 4-1, I'd take it.

PacersHomer
02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Also, does Ryan Anderson lead the league in uncalled travels? The dude should be called twinkle toes for how much he moves his feet in the post.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
I still think that we had a chance to win until Vogel decided to bring Danny, West and DC, why do that if you know they are playing like crap? even Lou was doing a decent job on Howard.

AesopRockOn
02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I still think that we had a chance to win until Vogel decided to bring Danny, West and DC, why do that if you know they are playing like crap? even Lou was doing a decent job on Howard.

Lou and Tyler were our MVPs.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Lou and Tyler were our MVPs.

I was like, "please Vogel don't take them out" and then he did and we know the result.

I also don't understand how our point guards don't take advantage againts two crappy point guards in Duhon and whoever the other guy is, pathetic.

imbtyler
02-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm just going to keep riding the PG Express and feel lifted out of the negativity. He covered the stat board, unfortunately making 3 turnovers compared to last night's zero.

Regardless, he had 13 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. Although the 4-of-12 field shooting and 2-of-7 from 3 is embarrassing, it's still an impressive effort after having a career game last night.

Again, like many others, we lost this game to the schedule. We've really killed it this past week, and we're likely to keep up this action. Just get some rest, and pull out of this slump before we face Jamall Tinsley and the Utah Jazz in a few days.

Also, I can't wait to see Paul get Gordon Hayward back for that one dunk...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vGggGD-l34I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JEM
02-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Looking back I think Tyler should have played more than 20 minutes as he was bringing needed energy and it seemed like those playing with him were more mentally in the game while he was on the court.

Lou also did a good job but probably would have fouled out had he played much more lol.

The starters were pitiful for the most part.

beast23
02-04-2012, 11:33 PM
In a sea of mostly bad news...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rLADiAmvboQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I've got to say, that was one of the poorest blocks I have ever seen.

I love Paul George, but keep the macho testosterone out of the block. The shot could have, and easily should have, been snagged out of mid-air. Almost as important as the block itself is who gains possession following the block. In this instance George could have easily gained possession and started the break towards our score.

Hicks
02-04-2012, 11:52 PM
One of the dreaded "just one of those nights" games. The kind where most of the exceptions to the rules (in a bad way ) rear their ugly faces and we have to sit back and try not to vomit while the disaster unfolds on the hardwood.

I hate watching these games, but mercifully they only happen every so often, and so I'll just try my best to move forward and forget about it. It's only worth dwelling on when it becomes a trend/habit.

On note: Tyler looked like he had his mojo back a bit tonight. So that's nice, at least.

Damn I hate losing to Orlando. They just seem like the kind of team we should handle more often than not. Funny enough, it was in THEIR house when we took care of business as I originally would have expected us to do at home (both times). What an obnoxious flip-flop.

Well, hopefully we're back to normal versus the Jazz (especially since I'll be making an all-too-rare-these-days appearance at BLF).

rock747
02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
didn't see this one but it looks like they didn't give up.... can't win them all.... looking foward to utah on teusday!

rock747
02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
What happened with the Granger-Richardson scuffle?

Kid Minneapolis
02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Alright, so a loss is a loss, and it's to be expected here and there. They clearly looked gas, and I don't half blame them, but...

When you're gassed, what's the best way to score? Move the friggin ball. Pass it around. And they didn't. They were gassed, and isntead of going for low-energy efficient scoring, they went 1-on-5, crashing into the paint and throwing up out-of-control shots. It seemed to me that a certain few guys were looking for their own shots, maybe because a certain SB spotlight was semi-shining on them? Either way, it backfired. The issue was mainly with our starters, so you can guess who I'm talking about. Our starters got owned tonight. The bench was actually keeping us in it.

They were expending a lot of energy on the defensive end, also, which was great to see. But end result was --- they were gassed, and yet they kept their foot on the gas pedal, and they needed to pass the friggin ball around. Move the ball more, and yourself less, when you're tired.

Also, tonight, they seemed to work outside-in, rather than inside-out, and I didn't get that. It seemed like Roy wasn't used much. I just don't know what happened to the decision-making tonight, on the coaching level and on the player level. Didn't seem like we made any half-time adjustments, either, after I just posted earlier how great our halftime adjusting has been this year. Orlando played a crappy game, and we couldn't get past them. This was a winnable game, despite the fatigue... the proper decisions just weren't made, across the board.

First rule of thumb when playing Orlando --- Go at Howard, go at Howard, go at Howard, because he WILL foul, and when you get his fouls up, he sits. We didn't go at him. They needed to just feed Roy incessantly, and instead we were jackin up 3s and goin' 1-on-5.

Hope this is a lesson learned, because a lot of mistakes were made tonight. They completely got away from what works for them.

IndyHoya
02-05-2012, 12:27 AM
The next time we play Dwight, I want to do it like Tyler and Lou did. Our first unit gave him way too much respect. Take it to him!

Howard is a player with great physical ability but with some real limitations too. He is an awesome force within 5 feet of the bucket both offensively and defensively. But he struggles on both counts beyond that range. Tonight, too, he hit a lot of his FTs. That's extremely unusual.

Take the game to him! Use our depth! Make him foul us!

Our game tonight was to settle for jumpers that didn't go in. Settling for Js is precisely what the Magic wanted us to do.

When Dwight's on the bench, the Magic are a pretty limited bunch. They're a pretty limited bunch even with Dwight not on the bench. They're mostly 3-point jump shooters that can't create or handle the ball well at all. We didn't do much to exploit Dwight or the rest of the rumdums that surround him. Dwight knows they're rumdums too. That's a big reason why he wants to be traded.

Yeah, I know. It's easier said than done. But what happened to our "smashmouth" game with our first unit?

Tonight, it was our second unit that carried us. They were the ones that turned the Magic over and attacked the basket. If we'd gotten only a little more of the same from our starters, we'd have won this game.

Still, without sounding like Pollyanna, we played about as poorly as we possibly can tonight, and yet right there at the end the game was there for the taking. This was another one that we so very easily could have won. One of our 3s falls; we hit a couple more FTs and it's different. Our defense was solid. The effort was there all night. These are positives that we can take from this game.

PaceBalls
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I really hope Dwight Howard gets traded to a west coast team.

PaceBalls
02-05-2012, 12:34 AM
What happened with the Granger-Richardson scuffle?

Granger accidentally elbowed him, Richardson didn't like it and kept jabbering after already getting T'd up. Granger didn't even realize he had hit him.

joeyd
02-05-2012, 12:57 AM
I love Paul George, but keep the macho testosterone out of the block. The shot could have, and easily should have, been snagged out of mid-air. Almost as important as the block itself is who gains possession following the block. In this instance George could have easily gained possession and started the break towards our score.

The play just made #10 on ESPN.

Paul George is a man whose motor is always on. Can't argue with that.

Sookie
02-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Granger accidentally elbowed him, Richardson didn't like it and kept jabbering after already getting T'd up. Granger didn't even realize he had hit him.

I've gotta say, this is happening a lot this year. And it's the third time I've seen Price break it up by getting in the middle. He's going to end up getting punched. Tonight's was hilarious, I swear he got all bossy on Danny and Tyler. :laugh:

graphic-er
02-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Okay you all have to get over this schedule loss thing. It was only a back to back at home. That is not a schedule loss. Dallas Texas is only like a 3 hour plane ride.

Vogel did not utilize our depth very well. This would be the game you bring Lance in and tell him to take it to the rim and draw fouls.

I would have given both Lance and Dahntay more than 11 mins. If you are on tired legs, then you win by getting to the line. Not shooting more jumpers. Magic had a back to back and a terrible trip just to get here. I guess that equals a schedule win for them.

Reality....we better hope we don't have to play Orlando in the 1st round, cause we will get spanked. We just don't match up well with them unless we are firing on all cylinders.

beast23
02-05-2012, 01:08 AM
The play just made #10 on ESPN.

Paul George is a man whose motor is always on. Can't argue with that.
I would have expected nothing else from ESPN. No more than I have ever expected from them through the years. ESPN has never been big on promoting good, sound, fundamental basketball. Instead, they promote the "exciting" play, i.e. the macho play. Dunks, three-pointers, posterizing blocks.

As much as I have enjoyed that ESPN has brought results and highlights from around the league through the years, I also hate them as much for changing basketball in ways that I consider negative. By glorifying dunking, three-pointers and blocks, as well as "macho" testerone-injected play, they have convinced young players through the years that that is the way the game should be played.

So, they brought about more athletic play, which in my opinion has been good. But I believe it has also helped de-emphasize sound fundamental play, which I believe has been bad.

Personally, had George snagged the ball out of the air and made a quick outlet pass to start the break that resulted in a lay-in, I would have given him a #1 this evening on ESPN's play list.

Hicks
02-05-2012, 01:08 AM
By the way, I hate how we constantly maybe-kinda-sorta double Dwight. It never bothers him, and it gives them way too many easy open 3's that are just not necessary. Dwight isn't going to drop 75 points on us; just guard him straight up and be done with it; make his teammates have to work for their points a little harder than just standing and waiting for the inevitable open looks. Freakin' hate that 'strategy.'

Hicks
02-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Okay you all have to get over this schedule loss thing. It was only a back to back at home. That is not a schedule loss. Dallas Texas is only like a 3 hour plane ride.

Vogel did not utilize our depth very well. This would be the game you bring Lance in and tell him to take it to the rim and draw fouls.

I would have given both Lance and Dahntay more than 11 mins. If you are on tired legs, then you win by getting to the line. Not shooting more jumpers. Magic had a back to back and a terrible trip just to get here. I guess that equals a schedule win for them.

Reality....we better hope we don't have to play Orlando in the 1st round, cause we will get spanked. We just don't match up well with them unless we are firing on all cylinders.

It's pretty obvious they were all tired tonight. Body language, shots with no legs, short misses, AIR BALL misses (multiple times, more than one player)... they were clearly gassed.

I don't know if that's because of the schedule or not, but they were low on figurative gasoline. Honestly, I'm a little impressed they kept it as close as they did all things considered. This could have been a blowout.

I'm not scared of them in the playoffs.

vnzla81
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
By the way, I hate how we constantly maybe-kinda-sorta double Dwight. It never bothers him, and it gives them way too many easy open 3's that are just not necessary. Dwight isn't going to drop 75 points on us; just guard him straight up and be done with it; make his teammates have to work for their points a little harder than just standing and waiting for the inevitable open looks. Freakin' hate that 'strategy.'

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't go away from that, Lou to me did a decent job on him.

Eleazar
02-05-2012, 01:45 AM
In my opinion the starters have been playing too much for a condensed schedule, and this game seemed to highlight that. Not only was the bench clearly better tonight (this is a case where the +/- is very telling), yet George, Granger, and Collision all played over 35 minutes and shot poorly. Meanwhile Hansbrough finally found his shot again, but only played 20 minutes. This was a game where all of the bench players should have plaayed about 20 minutes.

IUfan4life
02-05-2012, 02:06 AM

I just assumed Richardson needed a breather

immortality
02-05-2012, 02:19 AM
It's pretty obvious they were all tired tonight. Body language, shots with no legs, short misses, AIR BALL misses (multiple times, more than one player)... they were clearly gassed.

I don't know if that's because of the schedule or not, but they were low on figurative gasoline. Honestly, I'm a little impressed they kept it as close as they did all things considered. This could have been a blowout.

I'm not scared of them in the playoffs.

This makes the most sense, it is not like Howard is a prolific scorer, if you don't double him, other players won't get open and you will have to make him work for his shot. I thought Hibbert, Lou, and Hans all did a decent job, We can't let those other shooters get in rythem though.

CJ Jones
02-05-2012, 02:50 AM
I've got to say, that was one of the poorest blocks I have ever seen.

I think that's being a little harsh. Not many players can make that block. I thought maybe he could have kept in bounds, but you see great players make blocks like that all the time to send a message. If it was something he was doing a lot of it'd be different, but the Terry block the other night he kept in bounds so I don't see this as a problem.

I lost count how many times a guy got open, and he just could not get the ball to the open player... opposite of last night DC was very frustrating to watch tonight.

DC's passes were either tipped, off target, too weak, or too late all game long. These are the types of game that support the concerns from a lot of people here that we need a good passer at the pg to take us to the next level. I liked how he stepped his D up again in the 2nd half, but offensively he was really bad tonight.

Obviously everyone but DC and PG were tired, but Danny looked the most fatigued by far. He was sleep walking through defense all game leaving his man wide open. If they would have just hit half their open shots we would have lost this one by 20. I like his help D, but he too often falls asleep on his own man leaving him out of position to close out on the shooter.

After the game West had last night I wish we'd went to him more. I notice him passing up some shots, but for the most part we struggled to get him the ball. Same with Hibbert. They're both so unselfish, we should play off of them more often.

PG played a good all around game, but I thought he took a few bad shots and tried to do too much on his own. He was all over the place busting his *** so I can't complain too much. He may not play like Lebron, but he sure can fill up a stat sheet like him. Derick Anderson and Steve Smith said last night he'd be an all star in two years... they could be right.

Thought Lance played well again. He had 2 steals and helped cause a couple more turnovers in 10 min. With the D he's been playing, I think he deserves more PT. Especially with Hill being out. Glad he's making good use out of the small amount of time he has on the court.

... btw what the hell was 50 on? He looked smashed.

McKeyFan
02-05-2012, 08:17 AM

Not to pick particularly on crunk-juice, whose posts I appreciate and always read.

But I am going to go ahead and say in this thread at this time that I would appreciate guys not using JC as an expletive if possible.

I'm sure it won't completely end, but if it just lessened a bit, that would be good. I am personally offended by it. I don't think a single poster on here does it maliciously.

I've talked with the admins about it, and it's kind of funny almost. To censor the word like a few other curse words would mean we couldn't talk about Jesus or Christ in a serious manner.

So that leaves it up to ourselves to kind of self-monitor the issue, which I think Pacers Digest is pretty good about on a lot of levels.

Again, nothing against crunk or any of the others. If would just mean a lot to me personally to be sensitive regarding this subject. Thanks.

McKeyFan
02-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I haven't read this entire thread yet, so bear with me if someone has already said this. But I was surprised how freaking long Vogel kept the 2nd unit in the game.

Several have said Vogel should have kept them in longer. I disagree. He kept them in a very long time. They did their job very well. Then it was up to the starters to finish the job. They failed.

That's not on Vogel. It's on the starting five.

Kudos to the second unit.

HC
02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I would have expected nothing else from ESPN. No more than I have ever expected from them through the years. ESPN has never been big on promoting good, sound, fundamental basketball. Instead, they promote the "exciting" play, i.e. the macho play. Dunks, three-pointers, posterizing blocks.

As much as I have enjoyed that ESPN has brought results and highlights from around the league through the years, I also hate them as much for changing basketball in ways that I consider negative. By glorifying dunking, three-pointers and blocks, as well as "macho" testerone-injected play, they have convinced young players through the years that that is the way the game should be played.

So, they brought about more athletic play, which in my opinion has been good. But I believe it has also helped de-emphasize sound fundamental play, which I believe has been bad.

Personally, had George snagged the ball out of the air and made a quick outlet pass to start the break that resulted in a lay-in, I would have given him a #1 this evening on ESPN's play list.

Have to agree about ESPN. The other day they highlighted the top 5 (I think) players of the night and Paul George wasn't even mentioned yet he had better stats than half the list.

graphic-er
02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Not to pick particularly on crunk-juice, whose posts I appreciate and always read.

But I am going to go ahead and say in this thread at this time that I would appreciate guys not using JC as an expletive if possible.

I'm sure it won't completely end, but if it just lessened a bit, that would be good. I am personally offended by it. I don't think a single poster on here does it maliciously.

I've talked with the admins about it, and it's kind of funny almost. To censor the word like a few other curse words would mean we couldn't talk about Jesus or Christ in a serious manner.

So that leaves it up to ourselves to kind of self-monitor the issue, which I think Pacers Digest is pretty good about on a lot of levels.

Again, nothing against crunk or any of the others. If would just mean a lot to me personally to be sensitive regarding this subject. Thanks.

Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster!

PaceBalls
02-05-2012, 01:31 PM

To everything there is a seasoning.

May His Noodly Appendage touch you.

Ramen.

IUfan4life
02-05-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm offended by almost all of vnzla's posts. So there's that, but seriously this is an open forum with people from everywhere who have different sets of what's okay and what isn't. This is going to come off as more harsh than I want it to, but you aren't more important than any other poster here, and you don't have the right to not be offended. Especially on an internet forum it's best to just keep religious thoughts to yourself.

gummy
02-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Especially on an internet forum it's best to just keep religious thoughts to yourself.

Yes, I think that about sums it up.

I don't care one way or the other, really. No one has a right to not be offended, though personally I try to avoid offending if possible. I think it's fine to make a request and just as fine for other folks to say no, they'd rather not do what you want them to do. Something similar happened months ago when I asked that people not toss around the term "rape" so casually in game threads. Some people thought I had a point, others privately messaged me to apologize, others cried "PC!" and made a big stink about how they could do whatever they wanted. Healthy, if sometimes frustrating, discussion.

But this is a sports board and we are explicitly asked not to venture too far into politics. I am sure some will disagree, but religion clearly intersects with politics, particularly in 21st century America. Therefore, there probably shouldn't be any talking about Jesus Christ in a serious manner or any other manner. I'd be perfectly happy to never see the words Jesus Christ, god, democrat, republican, christian, democracy, communism, and so forth appear on the board again.

Our common bond is basketball. Let's focus on that. Beyond that (hell, obviously even with that) we are going to irritate and offended each other at times. That's life.

Now, about that game...we played in such a tired way overall that I was shocked we had a chance to win it in the end. It sucks. I hate losing to the Magic, especially twice at home. But I don't think it's indicative of anything to worry about. We're a good team but we are going to lose at times. I expect to see us bounce back as usual.

owl
02-05-2012, 04:20 PM

I second the motion. I find it offensive also but more importantly it breaks commandment 3, using God's name in vain, and is insulting to God. I consider this a family type forum. I asked and Hicks was kind enough to ban using God and the word damm together. Thank you.

MrSparko
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Please do not use my Noodley Lord's name in vain.

Major Cold
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I second the motion. I find it offensive also but more importantly it breaks commandment 3, using God's name in vain, and is insulting to God. I consider this a family type forum. I asked and Hicks was kind enough to ban using God and the word damm together. Thank you.

I think if we are not to talk about spiritual matters then we need to leave out the profanity of any God.

And please Thingfish if you really want to talk about the Torah then I am all ears. But my guess is you don't want to discuss it for any gain. So please leave the religion to people who want to discuss it in a place where it deems respectable to do so.

90'sNBARocked
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I dont think people do it intentionally, and there is a right to free speech

I dont like the use of JC like that, but I dont think its my place to tell another

besides JC is tough, Im sure He can take care of Himself :)

Major Cold
02-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I dont think people do it intentionally, and there is a right to free speech

I dont like the use of JC like that, but I dont think its my place to tell another

besides JC is tough, Im sure He can take care of Himself :)

I like free speech, but that does not mean free from consequences. If I were to use an expression from a specific minority, I would be penalized. And I should.

I understand what you mean. And most of the time I care less, I don't expect anything. But I think the way MF brought it up was out of courtesy.

Every knee and Every tongue

Asher99
02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
I haven't read this entire thread yet, so bear with me if someone has already said this. But I was surprised how freaking long Vogel kept the 2nd unit in the game.

Several have said Vogel should have kept them in longer. I disagree. He kept them in a very long time. They did their job very well. Then it was up to the starters to finish the job. They failed.

Tyler was only in for 9:30 which was the shortest amount of second half run in the 3 games we've played Orlando and shorter than most of his second half stints overall. AJ, Lance and Jones were in for way less than that, but it seems like they all were in longer because Roy was out for almost 13 and the previous night saw their season low in PT.

Kid Minneapolis
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM

When the starting five has shown all night an incapacity to perform up to their usual standards, and the backups are performing above their usual standards, then it's up to the coach to make an executive decision and go with who's performing at that moment.

McKeyFan
02-05-2012, 05:35 PM
When the starting five has shown all night an incapacity to perform up to their usual standards, and the backups are performing above their usual standards, then it's up to the coach to make an executive decision and go with who's performing at that moment.
I could be persuaded.

At the same time, it has been Vogel's self-control and discipline to keep the overall rotations this year that has kept players keeping their confidence and ability to regroup, knowing they won't get yanked on a whim.

Tyler was back last night, but Vogel could easily have yanked his chain any of the last few games. Heck, Granger could have been yanked earlier in the season.

I am going to stick with the opinion that, as much as I would have enjoyed the short term effects of keeping the subs in last night, Vogel is probably correct to stick with the general rotations for the long term benefit.