PDA

View Full Version : oden just had ANOTHER procedure

clownskull
02-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Oden undergoes knee procedure

By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer 14 hours, 20 minutes ago
Greg Oden has not played since last December, when he needed surgery on his left knee.
(Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images)

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)—The Trail Blazers say center Greg Oden underwent an arthroscopic procedure Friday to “remove debris” from his right knee, his fourth surgery since Portland selected him with the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft.

The often-injured 7-footer had microfracture surgery on the same knee before the start of his rookie season, forcing him to postpone his NBA debut for a year.

Since then, Oden has appeared in just 82 career games for the Blazers, averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.

Oden hasn’t appeared in a game for the Blazers in two years. He also underwent surgery for a fractured kneecap in late 2009, then early last season he had microfracture surgery on his left knee.

The latest procedure took place Friday afternoon in Vail, Colo. The Blazers said it was successful and that Oden remains out indefinitely.

i know he has been brought up before as whether or not to make a bid for him but- this should make it pretty clear that he isn't worth the almost certainty of missing whatever seasons you sign him up for. great talent but, his body is made of glass.

focused444
02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
i feel bad for him...

15th parallel
02-04-2012, 10:04 AM
It's sad that his career is almost ending before it blossomed because of injuries. Hope for his speedy recovery.

Asher99
02-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I feel terrible for him but every time I hear of his bad news this is always the next thing I think of.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bnYgnGMMD2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

glazedham42
02-04-2012, 10:57 AM
The NBA as a whole loses when Oden can't play IMO. I think he could've been one of the truely talented back tot he basket 90's-esque big men that the game is so lacking in right now.

Brad8888
02-04-2012, 05:53 PM
It is a shame, but not at all surprising. Hopefully he is being wise with his money.

PaceBalls
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I still have hope he can come back and have a few good years in the NBA. It's happened before with guys like Grant Hill. Maybe not to this extreme... but well, I hope he can do it.

Pacersalltheway10
02-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I wish him the best. He's a hometown hero,along with Steve Weathford, in my town.

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 06:49 PM
So sad, I like Greg, he always came off as a really nice guy. I really think he would have been a great player in the NBA too. Hopefully he can have a few nice years soon.

ksuttonjr76
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Meh...he's done. At least, he got some free money from the NBA before he retires. How many people you know can make millions although they were injured for 98% of their career?

AesopRockOn
02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Meh...he's done. At least, he got some free money from the NBA before he retires. How many people you know can make millions although they were injured for 98% of their career?

This is not an issue to make light of. John Madden spent pretty much all his broadcasting years coping with severe mental injuries.

2minutes twoa
02-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Feel really bad for him and the Trailblazers. Had the top pick twice and chose Bowie over Jordan and then Oden over Durant! Ouch!!

ksuttonjr76
02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
This is not an issue to make light of. John Madden spent pretty much all his broadcasting years coping with severe mental injuries.

First thing, there's a difference between a mental and physical injury. Second, he's having KNEE surgery. I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who made millions of dollars and needs an operation on his KNEE. The last time I checked, KNEE surguries are not life threatening. Plus, Oden can still have a NORMAL life after his surgery, but he just won't be able to NBA-level basketball. He could probably still play recreational basketball just fine.

Nuntius
02-05-2012, 01:32 PM
First thing, there's a difference between a mental and physical injury. Second, he's having KNEE surgery. I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who made millions of dollars and needs an operation on his KNEE. The last time I checked, KNEE surguries are not life threatening. Plus, Oden can still have a NORMAL life after his surgery, but he just won't be able to NBA-level basketball. He could probably still play recreational basketball just fine.

Knee injuries are not to be taken so lightly. Have you ever had any? I wish you won't. I've shattered my ACL & PCL, my Meniscus and both Collaterals. It's just not nice. Not being able to walk for a month really sucks. Not to mention that it never goes back to 100% unless you have a top notch surgery and pay top bucks. Greg will have a top notch surgery. Not all people do.

Personally, I do feel sorry about Oden. He could become a good player. I still hope that one day he makes it. Also, Blazers just HAVE to be the most unfortunate team in the NBA. That's just not fair :(

PacersHomer
02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Bowie, Oden, Roy...Trail Blazers are cursed.

CreekShow
02-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Sad seeing this happen, but we all ultimately knew this was going to happen. Classic case of your body being to big to handle itself.

Makes it even worse having it be an Indy native, who had so much potential. It was always amazing seeing him plat @ LN and dominating all tge Indiana kids. I wish we could have seen what a "completely healthy" Oden really could do in the NBA

ECKrueger
02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Definitely feel bad for the big guy.

mb221
02-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Just to clear things up.. Oden is NOT an Indy native. The guy was born in Buffalo, moved to Terre Haute at 9, and finally to Indy to attend High School. Hardly a native Hoosier.

CreekShow
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Just to clear things up.. Oden is NOT an Indy native. The guy was born in Buffalo, moved to Terre Haute at 9, and finally to Indy to attend High School. Hardly a native Hoosier.

Living in Indiana, and playing ball here for half of his life. That makes him a native to me. I dont care where he was born or where he lived when he was in 3rd grade

ksuttonjr76
02-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Knee injuries are not to be taken so lightly. Have you ever had any? I wish you won't. I've shattered my ACL & PCL, my Meniscus and both Collaterals. It's just not nice. Not being able to walk for a month really sucks. Not to mention that it never goes back to 100% unless you have a top notch surgery and pay top bucks. Greg will have a top notch surgery. Not all people do.

Personally, I do feel sorry about Oden. He could become a good player. I still hope that one day he makes it. Also, Blazers just HAVE to be the most unfortunate team in the NBA. That's just not fair :(

Thanks for making my point.

Oden will be alright once he goes back to college to finish his degree, and if he invested his money wisely.

AesopRockOn
02-05-2012, 09:48 PM

http://b.static.memegenerator.net/cache/instances/500x/13/13776/14106664.jpg

JB24
02-05-2012, 09:58 PM

So basically, he's an Indiana native.

mb221
02-05-2012, 11:04 PM
So basically, he's an Indiana native.

So basically, by the definition of the word, he's not.

ilive4sports
02-05-2012, 11:53 PM
So basically, by the definition of the word, he's not.

So because he only spent the second half of his childhood, and his high school basketball career in Indiana, he isn't a hooiser? Sorry, not buying it.

And we don't feel sad because of money, we feel sad because here was a guy who is incredibly gifted and by all accounts know, is a great guy and he is never getting his true chance to shine. Remember that article talking about the disappearing act of the center? If Oden was healthy, it never would have been written. Kid was gonna be special.

Aw Heck
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/native

na·tive [ney-tiv]
adjective
being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being: one's native land.
belonging to a person by birth or to a thing by nature; inherent: native ability; native grace.

Oden is a native of Buffalo. He may also be a Hoosier, but he is not a native Hoosier.

CreekShow
02-06-2012, 09:24 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/native

na·tive [ney-tiv]
adjective
being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being: one's native land.
belonging to a person by birth or to a thing by nature; inherent: native ability; native grace.

Oden is a native of Buffalo. He may also be a Hoosier, but he is not a native Hoosier.

Its amazing ppl are even giving that part of what I said so much attention. Jesus its not that big of a deal, and you ALL knew what I was getting at. Words have multiple meaning ya know. Maybe you should read the whole definition before you go highlighting whatever you want

Slick Pinkham
02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
And it just keeps going and going, getting worse and worse. Another microfracture surgery. Yikes. Both knees with microfracture surgery, one knee twice, and the other knee once, and the twice-microfractured knee also with severe kneecap issues ala the injury that turned McDyess from an all-star to a backup.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7595246/surgery-greg-oden-portland-trail-blazers-turned-third-microfracture

I know he has all the money he will ever need, but still the guy has gotten more than his share of bad breaks since the day he was drafted, and I would have to say the odds he will ever be a factor on the basketball court are almost nil at this point.

ECKrueger
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
So because he only spent the second half of his childhood, and his high school basketball career in Indiana, he isn't a hooiser? Sorry, not buying it.

And we don't feel sad because of money, we feel sad because here was a guy who is incredibly gifted and by all accounts know, is a great guy and he is never getting his true chance to shine. Remember that article talking about the disappearing act of the center? If Oden was healthy, it never would have been written. Kid was gonna be special.

I would feel bad for any one going through three knee surgeries and not belong able to do what he loves.

Sandman21
02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
If I'm Greg Oden, I start doing everything I can to get to Phoenix and their training staff.

If I'm the rest of the NBA, I start trying to figure out how the Suns training staff handles all these guys with a history of knee problems.

graphic-er
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
There must be something in the water here in Indiana over the past 10 years. Because alot of our NBA players have terrible luck with injuries. Both Oden and Gordon are made of glass it seems. There needs to be an environmental study of the Indianapolis Water.

Day-V
02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
There must be something in the water here in Indiana over the past 10 years. Because alot of our NBA players have terrible luck with injuries. Both Oden and Gordon are made of glass it seems. There needs to be an environmental study of the Indianapolis Water.

Plus you got George Hill and Zach Randolph missing time this season, as well.

Look out Mike Conley and Gordon Hayward, you're going down. Literally.

Malakai432
02-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Bummer, definitely the Bob Sanders of the NBA.

spazzxb
02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Bummer, definitely the Bob Sanders of the NBA.

Bob actually accomplished something in his short time of health. Defensive MVP. Odem has barley played enough to not be a rookie.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus