PDA

View Full Version : Paul George mini Lebron?

McKeyFan
02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I mentioned this in the post game thread and think it may be worthy of its own discussion:

Paul George has great court vision. In my opinion, he is only a ball-handling upgrade away from becoming Lebron-esque.

Now, I don't mean he could be as good as Lebron, and he will probably never be as strong as Lebron.

But he has the shot, the skills, the height, the length, the speed, the quickness, and—the jury is still out here—possibly the killer instinct.

What he also has, which very few players have and which I believe is the catalyst making Lebron one of the greatest ever, is great court vision.

My question: PG is only 21. If he were to develop great ball handling skills in the next year or two, could be run our offense?

Winner
02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
You're delusional.

doctor-h
02-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Paul can be a great player. You can't compare him to probably the most gifted athlete in all sports.

BlueNGold
02-04-2012, 10:43 AM
He's hard to compare to LeBron, easier to compare to Kobe. I do think he has the same court awareness, shooting ability and athleticism as LeBron. He's not as physical, but he's longer than LeBron.

No, I don't think you want him running the offense. Again, I see a two way player along the lines of a Kobe Bryant. But he still has a ways on offense to get to that level.

2minutes twoa
02-04-2012, 10:46 AM
You're delusional.

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this discussion. Do everyone a favor and start contributing or stop posting!

2minutes twoa
02-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I see what you're saying, but I don't think we'll ever see anyone like Lebron again in our lifetime. Paul is better suited playing with a facilitating PG in my opinion.

King Tuts Tomb
02-04-2012, 10:56 AM
I was just saying to my brother today that George reminds me of a better defensive, not as naturally offensively talented TMac. Meaning he has a chance to be an absolutely amazing player.

LeBron is such a freakish once in a lifetime player it's hard to really compare anyone to him.

15th parallel
02-04-2012, 11:15 AM
LeBron is so unique that there is nobody you can compare his game. I mean he is the only player I know that can play 4 different positions, and can probably play some C too if he wants to because of his length, speed, size, strength, passing ability, and scoring prowess. A low-post game will take his game into an entirely new level.

On a closer comparison, PG is more like Durant. Both are taller and longer than their position counterparts. They create mismatches with those size and length difference. The difference is Durant uses his advantage to dominate his opponent by scoring in so many different ways, while PG uses his advantage to destroy his man on the defensive end of the floor.

McKeyFan
02-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I see what you're saying, but I don't think we'll ever see anyone like Lebron again in our lifetime. Paul is better suited playing with a facilitating PG in my opinion.

Noted.

That's why I say "mini."

Maybe the Durant or TMac comparison is better. But my post comes from my observation that pg has elite court vision like Lebron. Durant and TMac don't have that.

idioteque
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I think TMac is the best comparison when you look at absolute ceiling. King Tut is right, his ceiling is probably something like a less offensively gifted but MUCH better defensive version of TMac.

Lebron is just too hard to compare to anyone else. If I had to compare Lebron to anyone, I would say he is kind of like Karl Malone but with an elite outside game.

IUfan4life
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Good thing we're asking about Lebron so Paul's killer instinct isn't needed

Kid Minneapolis
02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
His game isn't a whole lot like LeBron, but he can run down a fast-break dunk/layup and block it like LeBron.

Stryder
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Let's see PG put together a full season of greatness, of not just goodness, then we will talk. I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves.

Richard_Skull
02-04-2012, 11:44 AM
To me, the only players that you can compare LeBron to are Magic Johnson and Oscar. PG isn't really like any of those, I say let PG be PG.

Really?
02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I think they are both questionable shooters, and I think PG lacks a killer instinct, and sometimes I question his quickness with the ball. His ball handling really has to improve for him to be closely compared to anyone, Kobe or Lebron or whoever is great.

I do think that he is showing things this year that we did not see last year so I am happy to see these improvements, but I am really hoping that continues to get better.

Pacer Fan
02-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I mentioned this in the post game thread and think it may be worthy of its own discussion:

Paul George has great court vision. In my opinion, he is only a ball-handling upgrade away from becoming Lebron-esque.

Now, I don't mean he could be as good as Lebron, and he will probably never be as strong as Lebron.

But he has the shot, the skills, the height, the length, the speed, the quickness, and—the jury is still out here—possibly the killer instinct.

What he also has, which very few players have and which I believe is the catalyst making Lebron one of the greatest ever, is great court vision.

My question: PG is only 21. If he were to develop great ball handling skills in the next year or two, could be run our offense?

I say this ...
Look at his stats from last night along with his court play. For at least last night he was Lebron - esque, minus strength.

The verdict is still out if he can continue this type of play.

RLeWorm
02-04-2012, 12:03 PM
the really good thing about PG is that he is a willing passer. If you look at guys like Nick Young, Marcus Thornton, etc. they are great scorers but that's all they will be. PG is good at D, Seeing the Court, and his offense is starting to come on.

pacer4ever
02-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I think they are both questionable shooters, and I think PG lacks a killer instinct, and sometimes I question his quickness with the ball. His ball handling really has to improve for him to be closely compared to anyone, Kobe or Lebron or whoever is great.

I do think that he is showing things this year that we did not see last year so I am happy to see these improvements, but I am really hoping that continues to get better.

I disagree saying pg is a questionable shooter isn't true he was a great shooter in college. He will be a great shooter in the nba. But comparing pg to lbj is silly they play nothing alike.

Wylder1324
02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I dont particularly think PG is similar to LBJ in any other way than he is 6'8/6'9 athletic SG/SF. Lebron is built like a tank and can play 5 positions. As far as killer instinct goes….Lebron IMO doesn't have it…this is what separates him from a guy like Kobe. Its still too early to say whether or not PG has it. I think by the end of the season, if he continues his ascension as a force on our team then we will have a pretty good idea. So far, I feel like he has been trying to defer to the other more established guys on the team so we haven't really seen him emerge from his shell……the jury is out.

As far as the perfect comparison…..first off Im of the school of thought that we should in fact, let PG be PG. BUT I can see some similarities in his game to some of the players you guys have mentioned. The T-Mac comparisons are pretty good. They have the same body type, athleticism through the ceiling and play a similar style. The BIG difference is that PG is already an elite defender at just age 21. T-Mac had those abilities, but just didn't turn it on every game. T-Macs handles were tighter, but PG could still develop that.

The Durant comparison is decent…..Durant is a better rebounder and at this point a more diverse offensive player but PG is still developing so…I really think that PG is pretty unique…especially if he continues to show as much interest in the defensive side of the ball as he has so far to go along with the offense….if his trend continues I think we could be legitimately saying things like "we probably wont see another PG in our lifetime" ….

King Tuts Tomb
02-04-2012, 12:17 PM
I think PG lacks a killer instinct

The "killer instinct" really feels more and more like a media creation every year to me. Dirk didn't develop a killer instinct between 06 and 11, he just got better teammates. Duncan is never credited as having a killer instinct and he has four titles. And Kobe winning 5 titles has less to do with a killer instinct and more with having two of the most dominant big men in the last twenty years playing along with him.

Talent and determination (which every superstar has, or else they wouldn't be a superstar) along with a good supporting cast, win championships, not some mystical superpower.

Ownagedood
02-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Killer instinct is a real thing...

Its the phrase we use to shorten up what it really is..

Its when the game is on the line, your focus strongly enhances and your determination to win takes over.. all your practice time comes to light when your focus is at its highest at this time, as well as your will to win.

imawhat
02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
My very first thought when I saw PG before the draft was "wow, he's like LeBron with finesse instead if power". The first impression LeBron made on me in high school was that he ran in transition at an unparalleled force of speed, which I kind of see in PG.

PG has good court vision but he's nowhere near LeBron in that category; same as power. However, Paul's a better shooter and defender out of the gate.

I don't think it's a bad comparison.

King Tuts Tomb
02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Killer instinct is a real thing...

Its the phrase we use to shorten up what it really is..

Its when the game is on the line, your focus strongly enhances and your determination to win takes over.. all your practice time comes to light when your focus is at its highest at this time, as well as your will to win.

Kobe has missed an incredible amount of shots, in the playoffs, with the game on the line. The last time they won a title he was bailed out twice in series clinching wins on bad misses at the end of games by teammates with the wherewithal to clean up his misses.

I don't want this to come off as bashing Kobe, I love his game. But he's the one who usually benefits from having this supposed killer instinct. I just don't see it. Maybe it exists, but it seems like more a way to take cheap shots at great players who haven't won a title yet.

imawhat
02-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I disagree saying pg is a questionable shooter isn't true he was a great shooter in college. He will be a great shooter in the nba. But comparing pg to lbj is silly they play nothing alike.

LeBron as a rookie was actually a lot like PG is now, just a couple feet in from the arc. He was a completely different player.

righteouscool
02-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Young Lebron was also ridiculous skinny compared to what he is now. I don't think PG is going to put on the amount of muscle Lebron did, but it's pretty incredible looking at him at 18 and looking at him now.

PR07
02-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm hoping for a more athletic Joe Johnson (prime) or defensively gifted T-Mac (prime). I don't see anyone being like LeBron, he's like the Shaq of the perimeter, a beast.

Shade
02-04-2012, 01:14 PM
As I and others said before the draft, PG has the potential to be T-Mac reincarnated. And as others may or may not recall, T-Mac, in his prime, was arguably on Kobe's level.

Right now, with consistency, George and Granger give the Pacers their best scoring duo since Reggie and Jalen.

As much as I love Eric Gordon (and you all know I do), if PG plays like last night on a consistent basis, there's no room for EJ on this team. Hibbert and George are looking to be our max contract guys.

Hicks
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
LeBron as a rookie was actually a lot like PG is now, just a couple feet in from the arc. He was a completely different player.

Paul right now? Last year I agree, but he's a terrific shooter from 3 right now.

Lance George
02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't see Paul George ever having the point-forward skills that T-Mac had. There was a nine-year-period between 2000 and 2009 where T-Mac averaged roughly 5.5 assists per-game. That seems to be a little bit beyond Paul's reach.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's Rudy Gay, someone else PG's been compared to, who's averaged just 1.9 apg in his career. I would imagine Paul will end up somewhere in between the two of them, at around 3-4 apg.

I don't think he'll ever be the megastar that T-Mac was simply because those types of players are so rare, but the more I watch him, the more I think Rudy Gay may be his median. Paul has Rudy's size and athleticism, yet he looks more skilled to me. Rudy's never shot the ball the way Paul is this year, not even close, and I think Paul's a clearly superior passer, too.

If I was to break down Paul's upside into five levels, it'd look like this:

Level 1 (Worst Case Scenario): Tayshaun Prince
Level 2:
Level 3 (Median Scenario): Rudy Gay
Level 4: This is my sky-high, but reasonable, expectations for Paul.
Level 5 (Best Case Scenario): Tracy McGrady

I'd put Danny in Level 3, as well as guys like Luol Deng and pre-injuries Caron Butler.

Level 4 would be guys like Melo, (motivated) Vince Carter, and Paul Pierce.

Level 5 is the best-of-the-best; prime T-Mac, LeBron, Durant, etc.

imawhat
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Paul right now? Last year I agree, but he's a terrific shooter from 3 right now.

Yes, he's definitely a better shooter. What I mean is that LeBron's offense was a lot more perimeter based when he was a rookie. He came off screens a bit like Paul, and his shots were a lot like Paul's except they were just inside the arc.

Here, found this clip of LeBron's first game on YouTube. Take a look:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7m0_f-bfWFA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Future
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
People tend to forget that Tracy McGrady ran many offenses, he was the POINT forward for the Rockets and the Magic.

He had superior handles compared to George though, and his passes are better as well.

It is very difficult to just "develop your handles."

If Paul George can morph into the next T-Mac these next 2-3 years, we are a championship team, McGrady was a top 10 talent, a special player.

Nuntius
02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
LeBron is so unique that there is nobody you can compare his game. I mean he is the only player I know that can play 4 different positions, and can probably play some C too if he wants to because of his length, speed, size, strength, passing ability, and scoring prowess.

LeBron cannot play C. I remember him trying to do this in 2006 and he got crushed by Schortsianitis and Dikoudis.

That said, he has improved his post game from then and also is stronger so he could have a chance to do but still I don't want to see him there.

Anyway, this thread is about George. I was thinking about it the other day as well. I wouldn't compare him to LeBron in any way other than being a willing passer and tall enough to create miss-matches in offense and defense. He is like a taller Kobe to me. The baseline jumper that he used against the Wolves was identical to Kobe.

George has such an amazing future ahead of him. He seems to evolve into such an amazing player. None of us could see it coming. He just learns so fast.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
More like a mini Rudy Gay, Paul is similar and could probably be better, he just needs to get bigger I think.

PacerPenguins
02-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Lou Amudson mini Shaq??

SoupIsGood
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
McGrady certainly wasn't chopped liver as either a point man or a defender. It's just he was so insanely gifted as a scorer that that's usually where his energies went.

McGrady would be a good model for george. He'll never be that gifted as a scorer--in his prime McGrady was a freak--but the athletic advantages TMac enjoyed are the same that Paul enjoys, they have similar temperaments, and he could see how someone else put those traits to fantastic use.

Hopefully he doesn't have McGrady's health.

pacersgroningen
02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Coming back to the killer-instinct thing, would it be a correct definition to say that this is determined by how much you have a feeling you don't want that specific guy on the other team taking the decisive shot?

I mean, we'd like to see the player formerly known as Ron Artest take the final shot rather than we'd want Kobe to have it? Right? People can say the game-deciding shot is just like any other shot and say give it to the highest % shooter. But it doesn't work like that. Both teams are extremely focussed and it is going to be a tough shot 95% of the time. So you want the players with ice in their veins, the killer mentality, to take it.

Given that the NBA is a league of stars, we want these stars to be the heroes who are saving the day. Subconsciously most of us fans need that, we identify with a certain team or player. Having a killer instinct is hard to describe, but if it does not exist, than heart and hustle shouldn't either, since none of them are measurable.

Whether or not Paul has it, I hope so. Let's make sure he sticks around long enough to find out!

PGisthefuture
02-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Is it crazy to compare him to a more athletic Ray Allen?

Ray was more of an all-around scorer in his prime. Paul is noticeably more athletic than Ray ever was, but they both have a smooth stroke, don't necessarily handle the ball the best, can score in different ways, etc..

spazzxb
02-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this discussion. Do everyone a favor and start contributing or stop posting!

and you call this value?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Man some of you underrate this kid. Rudy Gay? Nope, sorry. His game doesnt flow like Pauls. There is a certain smoothness to PGs game. He now is getting the confidence on offense the really push it. You know hes hadvso many plays the last three games, the threes, the dunks, but my favorite was his crossover step back jumper against the Wolves. It was such a fluid motion and there was nothing the defender could do about. Watch when his handles come through. He doesnt bang through traffic like Danny. He glides through. He doesnt seem awkward with his height either.

Is he a mini lebron? No, game is too different. Lebron is like MJ, no not Jordan, Magic. PG is more along the lines of T-Mac (who i think is the best comparison still) and Kobe.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Man some of you underrate this kid. Rudy Gay? Nope, sorry. His game doesnt flow like Pauls. There is a certain smoothness to PGs game. He now is getting the confidence on offense the really push it. You know hes hadvso many plays the last three games, the threes, the dunks, but my favorite was his crossover step back jumper against the Wolves. It was such a fluid motion and there was nothing the defender could do about. Watch when his handles come through. He doesnt bang through traffic like Danny. He glides through. He doesnt seem awkward with his height either.

Is he a mini lebron? No, game is too different. Lebron is like MJ, no not Jordan, Magic. PG is more along the lines of T-Mac (who i think is the best comparison still) and Kobe.

Underrate him because we are comparing him to possibly and All Star this year? :lol:

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Underrate him because we are comparing him to possibly and All Star this year? :lol:

Rudy Gay is basically on the same level as Danny. I do not see Paul on that level. He is going to be better than that.

CreekShow
02-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I could see Pauls ceiling being Kevin Durant with an unreal ability to hop.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Rudy Gay is basically on the same level as Danny. I do not see Paul on that level. He is going to be better than that.

Rudy haven't even hit his prime yet and he is only 25 so I think is fair to assume that he would be a level higher than Danny if he already isn't.

righteouscool
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
George has such an amazing future ahead of him. He seems to evolve into such an amazing player. None of us could see it coming. He just learns so fast.

I could. ;) He has incredible body control and a finesse/glide to him that I don't see in very many players in the NBA. I really don't know how to describe it, but I knew watching him a few times in college he was going to be an incredible player.

Nuntius
02-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I could. ;) He has incredible body control and a finesse/glide to him that I don't see in very many players in the NBA. I really don't know how to describe it, but I knew watching him a few times in college he was going to be an incredible player.

Glad to know that there was one :D

righteouscool
02-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Glad to know that there was one :D

I am pretty sure you are new to the board. You should look up T-Bird's write up about George before the draft. He pretty much nailed that pick defensively. It's a really good read if you have time to find it.

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Rudy haven't even hit his prime yet and he is only 25 so I think is fair to assume that he would be a level higher than Danny if he already isn't.

Rudy has been in the league for one season less than Danny. He should most certainly be in his prime right now. He is averaging 18, 6.5 and 2 on 45% shooting this season. Which aren't even career numbers. They are actually some of his worst numbers, other than rebounding.

You are in your prime in your 6th season. Rudy's numbers are very similar to Danny's, throughout their careers. I don't know how you can say Rudy is at a higher level than Danny. They have had very similar careers so far.

Paul's ceiling is higher than Danny's. Paul's ceiling is higher than Rudy. Paul isn't going to be a fringe all star, he will be a legit all star.

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM

This. This is what I was saying that he has a certain smoothness to his game. You see this in Kobe's and saw it in T-Mac's. Wade has it too. It's a rare quality. I haven't seen another Pacer that really has it to the extent that PG does.

Pacer Fan
02-04-2012, 03:37 PM
This. This is what I was saying that he has a certain smoothness to his game. You see this in Kobe's and saw it in T-Mac's. Wade has it too. It's a rare quality. I haven't seen another Pacer that really has it to the extent that PG does.

While back in a different thread I had mentioned Clyde the Glide Drexler for comparison to Paul and I got bashed cause of a couple inches difference in height. The reason I picked Clyde was the smooth shooting stoke and the smoothness of him running the floor. Yes, It's a very rare quality.

McKeyFan
02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
and you call this value?

With contrarians like you around . . . yeah.

McKeyFan
02-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't compare me to LeBron in any way other than being a willing passer and tall enough to create miss-matches in offense and defense.
I think you made a pronoun typo.

:laugh:

McKeyFan
02-04-2012, 03:54 PM
People tend to forget that Tracy McGrady ran many offenses, he was the POINT forward for the Rockets and the Magic.

He had superior handles compared to George though, and his passes are better as well.

It is very difficult to just "develop your handles."

If Paul George can morph into the next T-Mac these next 2-3 years, we are a championship team, McGrady was a top 10 talent, a special player.

This is a pretty important point, and I would like to hear what others think. Have any players really improved in this area as NBA players?

My premise in this thread is basically dependent on this question.

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 03:54 PM

I'd compare myself to LeBron, except I don't have the receding hairline... yet...

Nuntius
02-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I am pretty sure you are new to the board. You should look up T-Bird's write up about George before the draft. He pretty much nailed that pick defensively. It's a really good read if you have time to find it.

I am new to the forum, indeed. I did read T-Bird's write up about George (and his write up about Hibbert as well). It's an amazing read, indeed. But PG may turn out to be even better :dance:

Nuntius
02-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Oh jeez. You are right. Thanks. I've been sloppy all day today :blush:

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 04:01 PM
This is a pretty important point, and I would like to hear what others think. Have any players really improved in this area as NBA players?

My premise in this thread is basically dependent on this question.

I don't think George necessarily has bad handles. There are times where he is great with them. I think he just needs to be more conscience about them. Being so tall, it makes things more difficult for him. He gets sloppy at times and being tall makes it worse.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Rudy has been in the league for one season less than Danny. He should most certainly be in his prime right now. He is averaging 18, 6.5 and 2 on 45% shooting this season. Which aren't even career numbers. They are actually some of his worst numbers, other than rebounding.

You are in your prime in your 6th season. Rudy's numbers are very similar to Danny's, throughout their careers. I don't know how you can say Rudy is at a higher level than Danny. They have had very similar careers so far.

Paul's ceiling is higher than Danny's. Paul's ceiling is higher than Rudy. Paul isn't going to be a fringe all star, he will be a legit all star.

I guess Andrew Bynum and Lebron have already hit their primes because they were drafted the same year or before Danny was drafted .............

Kstat
02-04-2012, 04:20 PM
...except Bynum and lebron were drafted at 18 and granger was drafted at 22...

That said, it's fair to say LeBron is in his prime right now.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
...except Bynum and lebron were drafted at 18 and granger was drafted at 22...

That said, it's fair to say LeBron is in his prime right now.

Well that's my point, players usually hit their primes at around 27/30 years of age, reason why I'm saying that Rudy hasn't hit his prime yet.

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I guess Andrew Bynum and Lebron have already hit their primes because they were drafted the same year or before Danny was drafted .............

Wait, you don't think LeBron is in his prime?

And Bynum is probably just entering his prime. Had he not been injured so much, he would definitely be there. Big men take longer to hit their stride, and with injuries, it delays it more. But I think averaging 17 and 12 is showing that he is entering his prime.

If you are taking more than 6 years to enter your prime, you better have come in straight out of high school and had something to limit your development.

Look at JO. Only Bynum entered the league at a younger age, but in year 6, JO clearly entered his prime. Straight out of high school and was limited in Portland. But still year 6 was the time.

You aren't going to have much of a prime if you are taking longer. Considering Rudy's game and production has pretty much stayed the same since year 2, he is definitely in his prime.

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Well that's my point, players usually hit their primes at around 27/30 years of age, reason why I'm saying that Rudy hasn't hit his prime yet.

What? Are you kidding me? Prime starts at 27? No way dude. Especially for guys that came from high school or one and done. If you are 18, that means you already put 9 years in the league before your prime. I'm sorry, but thats just not right.

vnzla81
02-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Wait, you don't think LeBron is in his prime?

And Bynum is probably just entering his prime. Had he not been injured so much, he would definitely be there. Big men take longer to hit their stride, and with injuries, it delays it more. But I think averaging 17 and 12 is showing that he is entering his prime.

If you are taking more than 6 years to enter your prime, you better have come in straight out of high school and had something to limit your development.

Look at JO. Only Bynum entered the league at a younger age, but in year 6, JO clearly entered his prime. Straight out of high school and was limited in Portland. But still year 6 was the time.

You aren't going to have much of a prime if you are taking longer. Considering Rudy's game and production has pretty much stayed the same since year 2, he is definitely in his prime.

This is Lebron's 9 year in the NBA and he is 27 of course I think he is entering his prime, 27/30 is usually a players best years you want to admit it or not.

picasso
02-04-2012, 05:14 PM
He's no where near the passer that Lebron is. But he could fill up the stat sheet the way he can.

25+ PPG
7-8 Rebounds
2-5 blocks any given night
4-7 assist(even though Lebron can easily have 10+ any game)

George is a weapon on defense! and at the end that is what wins championships. He can shut down the opposing teams best player. Something Lebron does. We set the Blueprint on how to stop Rose with a big fast defender!
Miami just executed it so much better.

Whats impressive about George is that he's evolving before our eyes. Would you have thought last year that he would have tied Millers 3 point record? No because his 3 point shooting last year was horrendous. But he put in work to get better. Kid is evolving his game! Can't wait to see what he's gonna look like in year 3-4.

ilive4sports
02-04-2012, 05:14 PM
This is Lebron's 9 year in the NBA and he is 27 of course I think he is entering his prime, 27/30 is usually a players best years you want to admit it or not.

So you are saying players are only in their prime for 3 years? 27/30 may be the rule when guys went to college for 4 years, but with guys that came just out of high school or are one and done, their prime is gonna start way sooner.

So because Andrew Bynum is a year younger than Hibbert, he is going to be in his prime a year later, even though he entered the league 3 years earlier? Sorry, not buying it. 27 makes sense for Roy, he is going to be 27 in his 6th season in the NBA. There is that 6th season coming up again.

Your telling me LeBron wasn't in his prime when he won his two MVPs? Your telling me Kobe wasn't in his prime scoring 30ppg? Hell Shaq's prime was a decade long.

I'm sorry, it just doesn't take guys 8-9 years in the league to enter their prime.

Merz
02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
and you call this value?

You do realize that this post is really no different than his?

(I know this one is as well...but I realize it)

Winner
02-04-2012, 05:29 PM

This isn't even worth discussing. Paul George as of now can't do a quarter of the things LeBron can and his game is completely un-comparable to Lebron. We could maybe compare him to a prime Peja Stojakovic but even that is somewhat unreasonable expectations.

McKeyFan
02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
We could maybe compare him to a prime Peja Stojakovic but even that is somewhat unreasonable expectations.

As is proper grammar.

cdash
02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I honestly don't see this comparison at all. LeBron is a freak. I am puzzled by anyone who compares Paul's court vision to LeBron's. I guess I can see their stat lines being similar, but their games most certainly are not.

indyaway
02-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I'll toss in my two cents on comparisions for Paul George:

James Worthy.

Evan_The_Dude
02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
PG reminds me of Scottie Pippen with a little less ball handling ability and a better jumper (from 3). Yes I know people want to say that about Granger. But Grangers game reminds me nothing of Pippen.

02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
I'll call him 25% Kobe.

Sparhawk
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I think you could compare PG to Pippen, but I don't know another player that is that tall and has the same skill and athleticism. Really needs to work on the ball handling though.

Really?
02-05-2012, 01:10 PM

He is a streaky shooter, he does not have any go to moves, or shots. I think he has potential to be a great shooter, but he has a lot to work on to get there.

The "killer instinct" really feels more and more like a media creation every year to me. Dirk didn't develop a killer instinct between 06 and 11, he just got better teammates. Duncan is never credited as having a killer instinct and he has four titles. And Kobe winning 5 titles has less to do with a killer instinct and more with having two of the most dominant big men in the last twenty years playing along with him.

Talent and determination (which every superstar has, or else they wouldn't be a superstar) along with a good supporting cast, win championships, not some mystical superpower.

I do not think so, being the type to want to dominate someone no matter what the score is and finishing off games by being willing taking the lead of your team.

Killer instinct is not a mystical superpower, but it has to do with ability and state of mind, a lot to do with a person playing style.

pacer4ever
02-05-2012, 03:33 PM
He is a streaky shooter, he does not have any go to moves, or shots. I think he has potential to be a great shooter, but he has a lot to work on to get there.

James Jones or Steve Kerr doesn't/didn't have a go to move they are great shooters. Shooting doesn't have to do with go to moves off the dribble it has to do with his ABILITY to shoot.

Really?
02-06-2012, 11:08 AM
James Jones or Steve Kerr doesn't/didn't have a go to move they are great shooters. Shooting doesn't have to do with go to moves off the dribble it has to do with his ABILITY to shoot.

James Jones is a spot up shooter, can not remember as much from Kerr just remembered he was a scorer.

The thing about having go to moves or go to shots is more about when your can't get space or your shot is not falling, as he experiences often. This way it helps you get back into your rhythm and all scorers have this (the go to shot).

PG plays the game a lot more different than Jones, and gets a decent amount of his shots off the dribble there for he needs to be able to have go to moves.

jeffg-body
02-06-2012, 12:52 PM
The only big comparison right now that I see between Lebron and PG is that they are so smooth in everything they do, almost like they are doing things without a lot of effort compared to other players. As PG continues to evolve the next 2 years or so there might be more comparison areas, but right now I just am enjoying watching PG develop right before our eyes.