PDA

View Full Version : WE have the problem, not Ron.

McKeyFan
11-11-2004, 10:55 AM
I think it's time we move to the next level as basketball fans. It's our own myopic perspective that is keeping Artest from smoothly developing until he takes us to a championship.

When it comes to injuries and problems, we are still in the days before the "jump shot" was invented, or, more recently, the days when the slam dunk was prohibited.

You see, Artest has a psychological injury. Like alcoholism, it's in his genes and it is something he has to work through and manage, just like the other players on the team work through and manage their physical injuries.

My guess is at birth Ron got extra amino acids flowing into his body (neck and below) but didn't get everything he needed above the neck.

So, he has to deal with it.

Notice: Artest has few traditional injuries. When he does, he usually plays through them. Notice: several other Pacers have physical injuries, many aren't able to play through them, However, they don't seem to have the psychological problems.

If we could just expand our consciousness and get beyond this tired, traditional mindset, I think this whole problem will work itself out.

Artest is simply trying to heal his mental injuries. They occur in little week or two week episodes, similar to JO's foot injury, Pollard's back, etc. And let's be fair to Ron's perspective: he sees all these guys getting real time to recuperate from their traditionally acceptable injuries, but he's not getting any time to deal with his every-now-and-again episodes. Heck, Foster and Reggie and AJ are getting a month or so to "regroup." I can see why Ron was thinking the same way.

You say, "Foster had surgery. Reggie and AJ had BROKEN BONES, dude." I say, Artest received serious proteins in his bones in the womb and doesn't get broken bones, dude. How can everyone be so unfair to a guy who has a legitimate injury, albeit untraditional? I don't see anybody berating Reggie for asking for a month to heal his hand.

This all makes more sense when you analyze Ron's comments. He said the words didn't come out right when he talked to Rick about it. Makes sense. He's basically saying to Rick: "Look, I need some time to heal emotionally and psychologically. My music is the most effective thing at doing that. Can I have some time, maybe a month like Reggie and AJ, to heal up?"

Rick didn't quite get it, because he's entrenched in the setshot, no dunking, traditional mindset of personal ailments. Thus, the problem.

But Ron wasn't asking for anything more than his own legitimate version of the sauna, weight room, whirlpool bath, etc. HE WAS SIMPLY ASKING FOR TIME TO HEAL UP. I mean, it's legit stuff. He's not asking to do Monte Carlo for a week. He's a family guy, he's focused on an alternative kind of work (recording) and not asking to simply loaf around.
And he had the decency and team-focused character to wait until JO got back to even ask. They were winning and doing well without JO. He felt good about taking a break once JO returned.

I think we all need to think long and hard about all this. If the Pacer fans and organization can be the first to grow up and move beyond the old fuddy duddy way of thinking, we can take the upper hand with NBA and sports franchise success. For decades to come, we can lead with progressive thinking.

We'll be like the first teams to expand their primitive ways of thinking and use players like Jackie Robinson. We'll be like the football teams that finally started using more passing plays than running.

The sky is the limit if only WE will change our ways.

diego
11-11-2004, 11:14 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Harddrive7
11-11-2004, 11:18 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sorry McKey fan but I have to agree with Diego's assessment on this. :rolleyes:

Although I do think that you did hit the nail on the head if you were trying to show us how Ron thinks. ;)

debohstheman
11-11-2004, 11:25 AM
im inclined to agree with McKey fan....

Slick Pinkham
11-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Did anyone know that he was making an album before this stunt?

Well, everyone knows now, and although he's probably to dumb to think this up on his own, what a uniquely self-serving marketing ploy.

And as for Ron's mental injuries, if they are real, they can only be healed if he allows them to be treated.

I would agree that he probably has psychological issues, but if he and those close to him can't convince him to get help, at some point you have to just give up on him and move on.

Harddrive7
11-11-2004, 12:04 PM
If this isn't satire, it's just pure nonsense.

Egggggzactly

indygeezer
11-11-2004, 12:40 PM
McKey-fan has just given us a really whoppin dose of liberal-speak.

oh oh! Don't put him in prison for killing those people, "it's society's fault".

Well it can't possibly be Ron's fault for being a knucklhead, can it?

Now, I wanna know the REAL story. A two day suspension just for ASKING for time off?
Think about it...does anybody honestly get ripped for asking for time off? Yeah, he plays a pro sport, but still, for asking????

Fool
11-11-2004, 12:53 PM

oh oh! Don't put him in prison for killing those people, "it's society's fault".

Now, I wanna know the REAL story. A two day suspension just for ASKING for time off?
Think about it...does anybody honestly get ripped for asking for time off? Yeah, he plays a pro sport, but still, for asking????

Give me a break. The election is over, quit pitching your politics.

indygeezer
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM

Give me a break. The election is over, quit pitching your politics.

LMAO....got me. Some habits are just hard to break;)

obnoxiousmodesty
11-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Don't try to rationalize the irrational. It just doesn't work.

Hicks
11-11-2004, 02:32 PM
If this isn't satire, it's just pure nonsense.

:stupid:

Harddrive7
11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Hicks, put some premium back into this board, it's running mighty sluggish of late.

ARTESTMVP
11-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Doesn't anyone realize how special a championship is? Some of you would rather lose Ron than win a title.

Kstat
11-11-2004, 02:54 PM
I think Ron's mother has signed up on PD......

Hicks
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Because we've won how many with him since he's been here?

And he'll play different vs Detroit this year than lasst year why?

I'll only call the man an MVP or a champion, if and when he wins either of them.

ARTESTMVP
11-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Hicks,

We would not be any-where near of a Pacer team we have been in the last couple years if it wasn't for Ron. Ron has been as valuable to this team as J.O.

Kstat
11-11-2004, 02:59 PM
No, I agree. Its all YOUR fault, not Ron's

-Its YOUR fault Ron keeps "inventing" injuries so he can skip games

-Its YOUR fault Ron decided to commit a flagrant foul, take a 35-foot jumper, and miss a dunk, all in the last three minutes of the 4th quarter of an elimination game.

-Its YOUR fault Ron is asking for a month off, to promote a rap album

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. I hope you learned your lesson.

"Le(Ron) can't do everything...."

Hicks
11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Hicks,

We would not be any-where near of a Pacer team we have been in the last couple years if it wasn't for Ron. Ron has been as valuable to this team as J.O.

Ron raises the team up from being a worse one, but he holds them down from being a champion.

Ultimate Frisbee
11-11-2004, 03:07 PM
I agree... I don't see how it should be regarded in any way different from a physical injury.

Good call McKeyFan!!!

Millerartest
11-11-2004, 05:02 PM
I think McKeyFan has brought a very refreshing perspective. I also think that people too often underestimate players, like Derrick McKey, who provide exceptional defense and intangibles that can bring teams to a new level, and then often over the top. Remember when the Pacers traded Detlef for McKey and everyone was irrate? Next thing we knew, Pacers were in the ECF.

A player whose value is more comparable would be Dennis Rodman. People can say what they want about Rodman. He's got enough championship fingers on his ring with Detroit and Chicago to prove his worth. Remember the way that he humiliated Malone in the finals? Phil Jackson was intelligent enough to take a chance on a guy like Rodman, despite having Pippen and Jordan, (which would make him expendable in many eyes) because he wanted to be the best.

This Pacer team has immense potential. Blaming Artest for the game 6 meltdown last year is unfair, especially after he hounded Pierce in round 1, and led the Pacers in round 2. If anything, it shows how critical Artest has been to this Pacers team. Artest has already proven that he can step it up big time in the playoffs, and very few players can do that. I have seen many players with big hearts implode in the final minutes of games because they wanted so badly to win. There is no way around that every Pacer player became stifled against Detroit, including JO.

I actually laughed when I heard about the time off and the rap album thing. I really don't see it as that big of a deal. The difference between Artest and the majority of the NBA is that when he says his goal is to the lead his team to an NBA championship, he will put all of his heart and soul into it. If anything bothered me about Pacer teams in the past, it was the heart that so many lacked. People who post on here have heart. Ironically, I think Artest might be the only player on the team, with the exception of Reggie, another overacheiver if there ever was one, who shares that heart.

ABADays
11-11-2004, 05:17 PM
I don't think you can discount a mental problem. It's not any less of a physical problem than a knee or a broken thumb.

Having said that, it might also be a problem Ron never grows out of.

SoupIsGood
11-11-2004, 05:21 PM
I really hope this was satire. If so, it was great. Otherwise, I'm now frightened that some people think like this.