PDA

View Full Version : What if the real story is this?

ChicagoJ
11-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Ron's explanation is so bizarre that I think there's more to it.

What if its true that there's something going on between Ron and JO.

Ron did declare himself to be the team's best player/ MVP over the summer. Some of us were concerned about that at the time while others pooh-pooh'ed it.

If that's the case, I'm equally disappointed in JO. And you all know I'm a big fan of JO. He's the unquestioned team leader and overall best and most important player. As the leader, and for the sake of the team, he can't overreact to the inappropriate things Ron says and does - even if it does bother him personally. And he can't let an incident like this drag the team down to Ron's level.

JO isn't mature 100% of the time, but I do expect maturity 'beyond his years' from him because he's shown that fairly reguarly.

debohstheman
11-11-2004, 10:59 AM
I think the rap album thing is not necessarily the case either:

however, if it were--i dont understand why everyone is making such a big deal about it. Let's be honest, we're fu*#ing fanatics about this team...schedule our lives around their games, spend hours on this digest, etc...

but to the players it is (or can be) a JOB. I work for a company--am commited (well at least i say and act like i am) to the success of the company--but i still get burned out and request time off--particularly when i am pursuing other hobbies, etc.

how is what ron did wrong? (assuming he merely asked for time off to work on his rap album). cant he have other equally (or more important) things in his life than the pacers???

if he needs or wants time off, big deal...it hurts the team, but i wouldnt call it selfish at all...

not EVERYTHING in the world revolves around the pacers...

that being said, i still believe there must be something else going on behind the scenes, and i god damn well hope it can be solved.....im looking for JO and Reggie to step up and try to resolve it...

grace
11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
I suppose there could be some problem between Ron and JO, but I'm more inclined to believe Ron can't get along with Rick.

diego
11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
You cannot be serious Debohs. Not a big deal. Im sorry he is getting paid millions to revolve his life around the Pacers...PERIOD. The differnece between his JOB and ours is we dont have fans spending hard earned money to come sit at our office and watch us work. He does.

sixthman
11-11-2004, 11:16 AM
If this were just a personality clash between JO and Ron, or Rick and Ron, personnel guys from the other teams would all be ringing up the phone with softball trades. One of which the Pacers might jump on and accept.

But I wonder if the conventional wisdom in the league is that Ron is just having personality clashes?

debohstheman
11-11-2004, 11:22 AM
im very serious....

would you be upset if islamic players in the NBA didnt eat or drink while the sun was up during ramadan because of their religious beliefs?

it would obviously be detrimental to the team's performance...yet the player wouldnt give a **** because in his mind maybe his religion is more important than the success/failure of the team....

all i am saying is the pacers are people..they arent basketball machines...programmed to do whatever the fans want or whatever would give the team the best odds of winning a championship.

if fans dont like what they see, dont pay and dont go to the games....

Anthem
11-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Could be. Dunno.

I definitely feel like we're only in on part of the story.

DisplacedKnick
11-11-2004, 11:41 AM
How about if Ron's just a whacko?

Not the stalk people, kill 'em and store them in your closet type, but the guy who mows the yard in his underwear and takes a leak in your flower garden kind?

Maybe we could get him on Dr Phil ...

ChicagoJ
11-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Debohs makes a compelling point, but I'm sure its written in his contract what his obligations are to the team.

We're all (most of us, anyway), employed at will. I've been under a couple of contracts at some consulting firms that spelled out where my loyalty was both during my employment and for a period of time after I left the firm.

Surely Ron's NBA contract spells out his loyalties as well. He can screw around with this record all he wants in the offseason, but come October 1 when training camp starts, he's responsible to be at all practices, games, and whatever public appearances his contract requires. If he can fit in the other side stuff and still meet his loyalty obligations to the Pacers, then more power to him.

After Jay Williams wrecked his motorcycle, the Bulls were able to cut him and avoid paying a large part of his otherwise guaranteed contract because motorcycle riding was prohibited. So I'm sure this whole 'side activities' thing is addressed in his contract.

So, sorry Debohs, its an interesting point but it still gets the :bs: flag.

Anthem
11-11-2004, 12:20 PM
So I take it people don't believe DW when he said the album never came up?

Kegboy
11-11-2004, 03:28 PM
im very serious....

would you be upset if islamic players in the NBA didnt eat or drink while the sun was up during ramadan because of their religious beliefs?

it would obviously be detrimental to the team's performance...yet the player wouldnt give a **** because in his mind maybe his religion is more important than the success/failure of the team....

all i am saying is the pacers are people..they arent basketball machines...programmed to do whatever the fans want or whatever would give the team the best odds of winning a championship.

if fans dont like what they see, dont pay and dont go to the games....

As I recall, Hakeem used to do just that. And every year, by the end of the month, it was obvious he was hurting.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Hicks
11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
We're comparing Ron's antics to religion now? Pardon the (psuedo) pun, but Jesus Christ.

ARTESTMVP
11-11-2004, 03:47 PM
How do we even know Ron & J.O. have any beef? That's all speculation.

Kstat
11-11-2004, 03:50 PM
I also think its VERY GOOD speculation.......

JO is a very intense compeditor.

You think he's taking all of Ron's crap lightly? I'd be a little dissapointed if JO DIDN'T have a problem with Ron by now.....

Hicks
11-11-2004, 03:52 PM
I agree with you there, AMVP, I'm not yet convinced those two are having squabbles.

Hicks
11-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Also with what Kstat has said, I'm sure JO has a problem with Ron's crap. I just don't think they're directly butting heads.

indygeezer
11-11-2004, 04:01 PM
I'd be interested in Stephan Jackson's take on this. It appears to me he has quietly assumed the role of vocal leader. He has come out a couple of times and said things that I've long thought other people needed to say and wouldn't.
(no I can't give examples, I'm going from remembered impressions)

beast23
11-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Sorry, but the religious analogy is way off base. Most employers will naturally work with the religious convictions with one of their employees.

But we are not talking about religion here.

We're talking about a SECOND occupation for which Artest would be paid or pursue a profit.

Virtually NO employer will put up with that B.S.

In fact, most employer's have their salaried workers sign statements that they are not currently "moonlighting" on any second job that in any way competes with the business of the first job.

And they also agree that the second job will in no way interfere with the requirements of the primary job... and in cases where there is interference, that the prospective employee agrees to meet the needs of his primary job.

Otherwise, the prospective employee stands a good chance of not being hired.

The Pacers are going to protect their asset. That means being totally selfish with his services. No way in hell do they let him pursue a second occupation during the season.

ChicagoJ
11-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Sorry, but the religious analogy is way off base. Most employers will naturally work with the religious convictions with one of their employees.

But we are not talking about religion here.

We're talking about a SECOND occupation for which Artest would be paid or pursue a profit.

Virtually NO employer will put up with that B.S.

In fact, most employer's have their salaried workers sign statements that they are not currently "moonlighting" on any second job that in any way competes with the business of the first job.

And they also agree that the second job will in no way interfere with the requirements of the primary job... and in cases where there is interference, that the prospective employee agrees to meet the needs of his primary job.

Otherwise, the prospective employee stands a good chance of not being hired.

The Pacers are going to protect their asset. That means being totally selfish with his services. No way in hell do they let him pursue a second occupation during the season.

Beast, you're much more level headed on this than I am...

So what are your thoughts, based on Ric Bucher's rumor and DA's comments tonight, that Ron and JO have alledgedly come to blows?

McThugg
11-11-2004, 11:33 PM
deboh you are an idiot, the difference between your job and Artests job is that he gets time off in the summer to pursue his hobbies. It is no ones fault but Artests that he is aching and burnt out or whatever, nobody made him come in during the off season to work with the rookies and free agents. He also could have scheduled the drop of his album 2 weeks earlier and it wouldn't have interfered with the season, so if we could all please stop making excuses for a dumba s s multi millionaire i would appreciate it.

Hicks
11-12-2004, 07:15 AM
deboh you are an idiot

McThugg, we have a policy of not allowing people to insult other people here.

See here (http://www.pacersdigest.com/cgi-bin/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=87896).

debohstheman
11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
mc thugg, i disagree with you entirely. first of all, im sure artest's contract doesnt say he is unable to pursue hobbies during the season. the fact that he has the summer off has NOTHING to do with it. Teachers in the U.S. get the summer off; they are most certainly allowed to pursue hobbies during the year.

just because teachers dont have fanatic fans like you cheering them on and evaluating their every move as to its positive or negative impact on the team doesnt mean their situation is any different.

UNLESS, of course, purusing a rap album (insert ANY activity that would be detrimental to artest's ability to contribute 100% to the team..including religion, family, etc.) is outlawed in his contract, i see nothing wrong at all with asking for time off.

and yes, please don't insult people on this board.

fwpacerfan
11-12-2004, 10:30 AM
I'd be interested in Stephan Jackson's take on this. It appears to me he has quietly assumed the role of vocal leader. He has come out a couple of times and said things that I've long thought other people needed to say and wouldn't.
(no I can't give examples, I'm going from remembered impressions)

Here is what SJax had to say:

Stephen Jackson, who was dressing next to Artest in the Target Center locker room, chided reporters for questioning Artest on the matter.

"That will be the last you hear of this," Jackson said.

If Jackson is the vocal leader it sounds to me like they have put this incident behind them.