PDA

View Full Version : First article I've seen... haven't seen it posted.

Anthem
11-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Artest Says He Asked Carlisle for Off Time

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI AP Sports Writer

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest said Wednesday that he asked coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a soon-to-be released rap album, which led to his two-game benching.

Artest held a short news conference before Wednesday night's game against the Los Angeles Clippers, and in his usual ambiguous manner, tried to explain why he was benched.

Artest said that he asked Carlisle for as much as a month off to heal his aching body and recover from a particularly busy schedule.

"My body has been aching, I was going to take some time off and I said it the wrong way," Artest said. "Everything that happened wasn't too negative. I kind of surprised the team by wanting to take some games off, just to get back together, maybe stay home for a little bit, rest a little bit and come back."

He certainly surprised Carlisle, who said Tuesday that the situation, "compromised the integrity of the team. It's a private team matter, and I'm going to leave it at that."

"I don't know what that means," Artest said. "They probably expected a little more; expected me to play every game. Everybody's different. It's early in the season, so I feel like I could take some time off early and be ready for the long stretch."

So Carlisle benched Artest for Tuesday night's win over Minnesota and Wednesday night's game against the Clippers. It is not a suspension, and Artest will not lose any salary. He will return Friday at Philadelphia.

The 24-year-old is scheduled to release his debut rap album later this month and has been spending a lot of time making promotional appearances.

"I've been doing a little bit too much music, just needed the rest," Artest said. "I've still got my album coming out Nov. 23. After the album comes out I'm going to make sure all of my time is focused on winning a championship."

It's the latest in a long line of controversial situations for Artest, ranging from destroying television monitors at Madison Square Garden two years ago to missing the team flight to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals at Detroit last season.

Carlisle tried to downplay the issue before the game Wednesday night.

"This isn't the Cuban missile crisis. It's not life or death, it's not about national security," Carlisle said. "It's just simply about a group of guys needing to remind ourselves _ all of us _ about the sanctity of team, and what it's about."

The message appears to have landed with Artest.

"It was a good decision," Artest said. "I need the rest. There's a lot of things going on."

When asked if he thought the punishment fit the crime, Artest said, "There was no crime done. I think it helped out. I was tired.

"I was doing a lot. I was running around a lot and doing a whole bunch of stuff and I've also been working out, so I think I wore myself down physically, I wore myself down mentally. I was ready to take some time off, at least like a month off, but two games is enough."

With so many injuries, the last thing the Pacers needed was to lose another player, especially one of their two All-Stars.

The Pacers played with just nine players against the Clippers.

Nevertheless, Carlisle said he would not play Artest.

"We've spent a lot of time and a lot of money this summer traveling, working guys out, working toward a plan to win this year and that plan was built around team," Carlisle said. "It's important in this early stage that we're steadfast in that understanding."

Netweeny
11-10-2004, 08:26 PM
He actually asked to take a month off!!? yikes......:o

Granville
11-10-2004, 08:53 PM
I really think this is the worst thing he has done. This isn't some anger management problem, or something that happened because his emotions got the best of him.

This is him wanting to basically quit on the team for a month. Selfish, and inexcusable, in my opinion.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-10-2004, 09:06 PM
So Ron thinks it's okay that he asks off from the team for any length of time for frivilous personal reasons, let alone for a month? Words like irresponsible, selfish, and childish come to mind. Granville's right, this is just... inexcusable.

Unbelievable.

roleplayer
11-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Yeah the guys on the ESPN halftime show just shredded him to pieces... cracked a few jokes about how this should be a great album since Ron's obviously put so much work into it. :D

Arcadian
11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
To me this is the worst thing he has done. The one thing I thought I could count one with Ron was a desire be out there playing hard. I guess not.

unstandable
11-10-2004, 09:37 PM
The Pacers should have suspended him without pay for a month - be careful what you wish for.

unstandable
11-10-2004, 09:50 PM

"It was a good decision," Artest said. "I need the rest. There's a lot of things going on."

When asked if he thought the punishment fit the crime, Artest said, "There was no crime done. I think it helped out. I was tired."

He doesn't even get that Carlisle is punishing him. He thinks Carlisle's doing him a favor by giving him a few days off - he needs the rest. This time he asked for a month off and got two games off. Next time he'll ask for a year off in hopes that he'll be rewarded with a month off.

Granville
11-10-2004, 09:57 PM

When asked if he thought the punishment fit the crime, Artest said, "There was no crime done. I think it helped out. I was tired.

"I was doing a lot. I was running around a lot and doing a whole bunch of stuff and I've also been working out, so I think I wore myself down physically, I wore myself down mentally. I was ready to take some time off, at least like a month off, but two games is enough."

That part of the article really makes me angry too. First off, the writer is wrong. The message doesn't appear to have landed with Ron. In fact, it is just the opposite. Ron seems to think that his request was reasonable, and the Pacers are helping him out by letting him rest, even though it is only for two games instead of a month. He doesn't think he's being punished!

spelling

Granville
11-10-2004, 09:58 PM
You beat me to it Unstandable.

indygeezer
11-10-2004, 10:04 PM
TO those that disagreed with me last spring, I'm truely sorry. I really did want this to work out, but I told ya so.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Ron doesn't even understand that what he did was wrong. Statements like "...I said it the wrong way..." reflect the comatose state of his perspective. It's like he thinks Rick just compromised with him. "It was a good decision," Artest said. "I need the rest...There was no crime done. I think it helped out. I was tired." Nothing he's said indicates any comprehension of the magnitude of his folly. It's stupifying.

Netweeny
11-10-2004, 10:09 PM
That's a good point. But you know what, maybe he's right. Maybe the P's are granting him some time off to rest. After all, it is technically NOT a suspension and he is still getting paid.

So what would be worse? Ron asking for the time off or the Pacers actually granting it under the guise of a punishment? And still paying him to boot. In this case, should the actual punishment be to make him play?

This is just weird all around. :confused:

PaceBalls
11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
That is not like Ron Artest... I'm pretty shocked. I sure hope he doesn't pull a Ricky Williams and just quit. Who could blame him though, all the fans blasting him all the time, saying he is slippin and is totally insane ready to shoot up a mcdonalds at any moment, underappreciated for sure, almost hated in Indiana by some. He has all the money in the world, and will probably make a killing off his new album. Damn it would be a real shame... I don't think it would happen, but asking for a month off after 5 games with half the team injured is not a good sign.

I swear I thought he had just pissed off JO or Rick and got benched for mouthing off. this sucks

Arcadian
11-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, blame the fans...Jay has cost us a ring. Damn it Jay.:mad:

Netweeny
11-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I agree Btown. I was just throwing out a off the wall scenario. Your right.. Rick and Larry wouldn't (at least I hope not!!) agree to a goofy proposition like that.

I guess the main thing I was alluding to was that Ron got what he wanted.....some time off. Thus...is it really a punishment? Apparently Ron doesn't think so.

McKeyFan
11-10-2004, 11:00 PM
I've been wondering if there's any correlation to Artest's antics and JO's return.

Maybe not exactly, but the problems hovered AROUND the time JO came back.

If this is true, it becomes interesting that JO is injured when Ron returns.

Merz
11-10-2004, 11:20 PM
will probably make a killing off his new album.

:laugh:

I've heard Ron rap, he is horrible. I can't imagine his album selling well at all.

It's crazy Ron was my favorite player just 3 days ago, now I want him gone. (we'll never be able to get Peja or anyone of that level now)

ChicagoJ
11-10-2004, 11:40 PM
I guess I'm going into hiding. I completely deny that I'll be in town for Thanksgiving. If you see a Blazer with Illinois plates BOOM BBY - its not me. :rolleyes:

Call me Bartman. :devil:

This is just mind-boggling. I hope they bench his @$$ until the album is out. By then Fred and SJax will be firmly entrenched with the starters. Right now I'd like to see them wait until the deadline, make him the tenth man until them, playing 12 mpg and mopup minutes, and trade him for a future first-rounder.

I can live with a second-round and out this year just to put this chapter in Pacers history to an end.

Hicks
11-11-2004, 07:18 AM
Some have already said what I would, so I'll keep it short. Inexcusable, sad, debunks the "only wants to win so bad" myth, and like Geezer, I told you so.

Regardless of the reason, Ron's head just isn't fully on straight. This is getting old.

SoupIsGood
11-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Ron for a first-round picks sounds nice right now. But what team would want this guy?

ABADays
11-11-2004, 09:15 AM
He has all the money in the world, and will probably make a killing off his new album.

I doubt his sales in Indiana would be very good ;)

BillS
11-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Ron for a first-round picks sounds nice right now. But what team would want this guy?

I think Ron to Atlanta for Al.

Imagine - Atlanta, one of the biggest Rap consumer cities in the country, in need of someone to give some attention to their team, and the appropriate purgatory.

Then we bring Al back, contrite, humbled by seeing how bad it could be.

Do ya' think Donnie and Larry could pull it off? These are new and inexperienced owners down here, after all.

BWAAA HAAA HAAA HAA HAAAAAA

fwpacerfan
11-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Sounds to me like he needs some new meds. Give some to Carlisle too if this is true. It's kind of like suspending a kid from high school for skipping school - it doesn't make sense. As always there is more to this story but I'm glad Carlisle is trying to put an end to it right away.

Anyone have the over/under on how many points/rebounds Artest will get on Friday?

I say 29 points and 11 boards - especially now that he's rested!

sig
11-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Maybe Ron can make more money in the RAP business and is pondering a career change.

A bunch of scenarios with Portland trades could work.

Is Alonzo Mourning on the market? He wants to win a title and played 40 minutes against the Wiz last night. Actually, both Kidd and Mourning want out of New Jersey? Kidd along with his injury and contract might be risky. A big gameble but if those 2 guys can play all year once Kidd returns, it might have a real good payoff.

Indiana trades: SF Jonathan Bender (11.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 16.0 minutes)
SF Ron Artest (24.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 38.0 minutes)
C Scot Pollard (7.3 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 29.3 minutes)
Anthony Johnson (No games yet played in 2004/05)
Indiana receives: Jason Kidd (No games yet played in 2004/05)
C Alonzo Mourning (12.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 23.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -30.1 ppg, -12.0 rpg, and -4.0 apg.

New Jersey trades: Jason Kidd (No games yet played in 2004/05)
C Alonzo Mourning (12.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 23.8 minutes)
New Jersey receives: SF Jonathan Bender (11.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 16.0 minutes)
SF Ron Artest (24.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 38.0 minutes)
C Scot Pollard (7.3 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 29.3 minutes)
Anthony Johnson (No games yet played in 2004/05)
Change in team outlook: +30.1 ppg, +12.0 rpg, and +4.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

If that is to much than Artest for Zo probably works by itself.