PDA

View Full Version : First odd thoughts of the season....

Peck
11-10-2004, 12:33 AM
This is fun.

I haven't enjoyed a Pacers team this much in years. We have every reason in the world to not win a game, yet time after time after time the team is stepping up & winning.

They might be making us sweat it out like the Cavs. game & tonights game vs. the Wolves but this is damn entertaining.

There has been a differant hero in virtually every game but one thing is consistant.

The trio of Croshere, Jones & Jackson has been solid.

Oddly enough all three of those players will be relagated to the bench sometime after the first of the year.

Further in the oddity, none of those three players deserves to be benched.

What's really odd is that Fred Jones, in theory, could drop all of the way down to the third shooting guard in the rotation. I don't think this will happen, but it is possible.

Let's look at the team one at a time.

Jamaal Tinsely. Man he had a scary last two min. of the game vs. the Wolves but let's face facts, he made a big impact on the game. He wasn't as smooth he was vs. the Cavs. but he did have a good offensive game. Although he lost Hudson more than would care to see. But so far this season he has been a steadying influance.

Stephen Jackson. It's been awhile since we've had a player who can hit from anywhere on the floor like he can. His rebounding has gone beyond my expectations & his defense for the most part has been solid. There are times he throws up a three faster than I would care to see, but I know that is just something that we are going to have to live with. So far, I'm happy with this trade.

Fred Jones. Fred is the man. Defense, rebounding, attacking the basket & his new suprising ability to hit the outside shot. I not only do NOT miss Reggie, I pray that Reggie has the decency to ask to come off of the bench when he returns. There would be no crime greater than if Fred were relagated to spot min. or even DNP-CD's. No offense to Reggie but right now Fred is bringing it every night.

Scot Pollard. He's hurting, you can see that when he walks. But he has really put up solid games in two of the three games he's played in. He's going to have to improve his defense a little, but I'm very pleased with his rebounding & even his scoring. He's not done anything dumb on the floor & thus hasn't hurt the team.

Austin Croshere. Solid vet. Contract is still to large but has done everything that has been asked of him. He's scored, he's rebounding, he's passing & he's playing good defense. I was told he couldn't guard Garnett. On the last two possesions of the game Austin forced K.G. to shoot a fadeaway (which I realize isn't much of a defense) & on the last play he covered him so that he couldn't even get the ball. I think he gets an above average grade for the season.

Eddie Gill. Hasn't messed up. I still expect A.J. to take back over the backup p.g. spot when he returns but in the meantime Gill is holding his own. I think he's a solid passer & he seems smarter with the ball than I gave him credit for. I'm not sure about his passing skills, but then again I have a hard time watching him without having Best flashbacks. has nothing to do with the style of game, just the size & number. :shudder:

Jermaine O'Neal. Working his way back into game shape. I think the extra bulk has affected his ability to jump so we'll see how that eventually affects his game & ultimately his knee's. But it will let him play in the post & be more physical. You could tell by just looking at him vs. Garnett how much bigger & stronger J.O. is now.

David Harrison. Rookie. Will make rookie mistakes. Will be abused by wiley vets. & big name stars. Will make us cringe more than we want. However, he is big. He does use his body & he has shown an ability around the basket to score. If the light in his head ever kicks on & tells him he is bigger & stronger than 80% of the rest of the N.B.A. then they better look out. A great draft pick for dead last in the first round of what was considered a bad draft. Oh yeah, he needs to get into better shape. I hope once Foster returns that he is not relegated to DNP-CD's.

James Jones. How about we just focus all of the hopes we have in Bender & focus them on Jones? He's not nearly as athletic but I think we will probably get more consistant production from James than we will Bender:rolleyes:. He is a dead eye shooter & he plays decent defense. He's not bad on the boards either. His off the ball movement needs to improve, but then again on our team who doesn't need to improve that? I like the guy.

Jon Bender. Well, he was good for about 16 min. Can we just call him werewolf? He comes around once every full moon. Actually I want to call him the genie of the lamp like the one in Aladdin. GREAT COSMIC POWERS!!!!! Little bitty heart. Am I being to hard on him? Does it matter anymore? How can you tell with this guy. You see players playing with a limp or even cast in some case & this guy just can't seem to play through anything. I think it's just best to hope that he can contribute every now & then.

Ron Artest. It took three games. Or did it? Am I the only person who is suspicious of the mysterious knee ailment that almost kept him from playing in game one? You know the one that hasn't bothered him since. Three games played & now a two game suspension by the team. By a team that is short handed. I didn't miss him in the Min. game. I know that some of you did. Look if the guy hasn't made you think that he is a cancer by now he probably never will. I just happen to believe that Walsh did try & move him over the summer & couldn't get anybody to take him. Peja was the strong rumor but one little part that seemed to get overlooked was that Jerry West made the statement that the Pacers tried to move him to them & they wouldn't take him because they did not want him influancing their young team. Seems to me Walsh was trying to move him. IMO, we're stuck with him now so we have to make the best of this. I just hope the team holds strong & is not held hostage by him.

In summery, I love this team.

ChicagoJ
11-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Couple quick points and then I'm going to bed...

It helps, when I see Eddie Gill, to think of Micheal Williams instead. Eddie's game is much closer to Micheal Williams than Travis. Thank God.

I'm also going to compliment two players I normally pick on: Pollard for his hustle (clearly he has no discernable basketball talent but at least he's making an effort this season), and Fred Jones is exceed my expectations. He's still a little wild with the ball, but I'd rather have a wild guy turn it over occasionally trying to make things happen than a bunch of 24-second violations.

I've already said my piece about Mr. Cancer in threads specific to that topic, so I'll shut up now.

I liked the games that JO and Jackson played tonight. Versatility was on display. Very inspiring. The fifth foul on JO, when Hudson set a pick under him and didn't allow him to turn around - that was a horrible call. But what do you expect from Jess Kersey?

And Tina's odd thought of the night - is Stephen Jackson wearing a mouthpiece, or are his teeth that bad. She wants to start calling him Buckwheat. Is that socially acceptable in this day and age? Anyway, once she pointed that out, its been bugging me all night.

Now where's that Nexium?

TheSauceMaster
11-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Very solid comments Peck , Great Post :cool:

Bball
11-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Couple quick points and then I'm going to bed...

It helps, when I see Eddie Gill, to think of Micheal Williams instead. Eddie's game is much closer to Micheal Williams than Travis. Thank God.

I'm also going to compliment two players I normally pick on: Pollard for his hustle (clearly he has no discernable basketball talent but at least he's making an effort this season), and Fred Jones is exceed my expectations. He's still a little wild with the ball, but I'd rather have a wild guy turn it over occasionally trying to make things happen than a bunch of 24-second violations.

I've already said my piece about Mr. Cancer in threads specific to that topic, so I'll shut up now.

I liked the games that JO and Jackson played tonight. Versatility was on display. Very inspiring. The fifth foul on JO, when Hudson set a pick under him and didn't allow him to turn around - that was a horrible call. But what do you expect from Jess Kersey?

And Tina's odd thought of the night - is Stephen Jackson wearing a mouthpiece, or are his teeth that bad. She wants to start calling him Buckwheat. Is that socially acceptable in this day and age? Anyway, once she pointed that out, its been bugging me all night.

Now where's that Nexium?

Somebody make Gill get a new number. I see him come in and I have TBest flashbacks. Pound Pound Pound.... Thankfully, Eddie Gill doesn't play like Travis Best.

Yes, SJax wears a yellow mouthpiece...

I don't know where the Nexium is...

:P

-Bball

Jose Slaughter
11-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Best could be the first player in the history of the league to have his numbers retire due to negitive fan reaction when other players wear #4.

beast23
11-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Let's don't compare Gill to Michael Williams. When Williams was traded, everyone hated it. He was a player that we did NOT want to give up.

Gill, on the other hand? If he were traded, it really wouldn't affect me one way or another.

Did you see the play where Gill did a wonderful job of penetrating into the lane, drawing three men to him, only to throw the ball out of bounds at the sidecourt? He threw the ball to a point where a man had been a full 2 - 3 SECONDS EARLIER. And that is not an exageration.

Sounds a hell of a lot like Travis to me. Penetrate, get in the air, and make an error.

Ragnar
11-10-2004, 08:39 AM
I was really upset about the Gill hiring but I am really happy about it now. Gill has exceeded my expectations by a large margin. I want him to take over the backup pg spot for good and relegate AJ to the bench. I just wish he would get a new jersey number.

Doug
11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Given Pollard's recent play, I thought Peck might start out his "odd thoughts" with "Brad who?"

Just kidding of course. Pollard has simply been what we thought he would be - a slightly bigger Jeff Foster. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't have much to add.

I lowe winning games by scrapping. If the team is playing this hard without the starters, it puts incredable pressure on them to keep it up when they get back.

Hustling for loose balls, diving on the floor, I love it.

<Sigh> Artest. <Sigh> Better now than the playoffs, but as we know even if this "fixes" the current problem, it could flair up at any time. Including the playoffs.

Bender. <Big Sigh> I don't know what to think anymore. I've pretty much written him off, but yet I still want him to suceed. I feel like I'm pulled in two directions on it. I guess if I expect nothing from him, he can't let me down. But then he'll play a game and look like he's "getting it" and I'm back to thinking "well, maybe if he stays healthy..."

Suaveness
11-10-2004, 09:48 AM
As far as Artest is concerned, I would MUCH rather put up with this on occasion than have anyone else. I love Artest's game to death, it is worth the occasional absences. Plus, the team seems to be behind him, judging by their quotes.

ChicagoJ
11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
A no-comment from JO, and Jackson chiding the reporters to leave Ron alone, and you think the team is "behind him?"

:confused:

TheSauceMaster
11-10-2004, 12:42 PM
A no-comment from JO, and Jackson chiding the reporters to leave Ron alone, and you think the team is "behind him?"

:confused:

The worse thing the team could do is give him the cold shoulder , if that happens look out artest of 2 years ago. Although I am upset about Ron we really only know one side of the story and most stories have 2 sides , It's unfortunate it happened but I hope this doesn't become a distraction and so far it doesn't look like it has.

Like Bird said awhile back Ron is the only one who can hurt himself , Once Ron realizes hopefully after this 2 game DNP he will wake up and that's all we can hope for. Trading Artest right now is not really a option as I don't think anyone would honestly trade a bag of peanuts for him at this second.

People can sit and moan and groan all season but it's not going to change a damn thing , so ethier we can all moan or we can move on and pray for the best and hope Ron get's it together.

Grant
11-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Fred Jones. Fred is the man. Defense, rebounding, attacking the basket & his new suprising ability to hit the outside shot. I not only do NOT miss Reggie, I pray that Reggie has the decency to ask to come off of the bench when he returns. There would be no crime greater than if Fred were relagated to spot min. or even DNP-CD's. No offense to Reggie but right now Fred is bringing it every night.

Agreed. When Reggie retires, Jones and Jackson will split the time and everyone will be happy, but until then its a pretty crowded spot. I too hope that Reggie will step back and be a guy that comes off the bench to hit a big 3, or hit a bunch of free throws down the stretch of a big game. I would be happy if he got about 10-12 minutes a game.

Ron Artest. It took three games. Or did it? Am I the only person who is suspicious of the mysterious knee ailment that almost kept him from playing in game one? You know the one that hasn't bothered him since. Three games played & now a two game suspension by the team. By a team that is short handed. I didn't miss him in the Min. game. I know that some of you did. Look if the guy hasn't made you think that he is a cancer by now he probably never will.

What an enigma. I don't think Ron is a bad guy (probably quite the opposite), but I do think that he is not always capable of controlling himself. And I'm not sure that will change anytime soon. Some will argue that we can't succeed with Ron, but I just don't see how the Pacer's can win it all without him.

I don't think the answer is to trade him, but it would be great if he had a Sheed -like metamorphisis.