PDA

View Full Version : OT: If your going to Limit Users

TheSauceMaster
11-09-2004, 11:15 PM
The you Should make it so people who are registered have priority over guest ,or disable guest at peak times til things can get fixed.... just my opinion.

You have a real problem when Guest are the majority over people who took the time to register.

able
11-10-2004, 05:11 AM
good thought, i will look into it, however I did the limiting all on my own, and it is/was a temporary measure, not to prevent bandwidth usage or whatever, but for the simple reason that the database has (at this moment) a hard time coping with the usage.
Shortly after game time user numbers go over a 100, now round about 85 the problem starts, not as much with the visitors as well with the constant reloading people are doing to see if something new popped up, the logs show me that several people basically recycle the pages ever few seconds, now the number of users can be much higher if people didn't do that, but they do, so we'll have to live with it.

We (the coders and us) are working hard to solve these problems and hope to have solved most of them shortly and the move to another database is depending on when the final coding will be done, final development of the oracle backend will be done on our servers, so we have a first row seat in this case.
Also several things to speed up the program and make the databse leaner are under way.

I am looking at alternative backened structures, but have not enough time in a day to do all the testing needed.

I am sorry for causing inconveniece to anyone, I really am, but thought it better to limit for the time being then to have the board crash now and then.

I sincerely hope to have some time to try a "lean" mode before game time tonight, if that works then we'll test that after the game and see how it works out.

I'll keep you all posted

Anthem
11-10-2004, 10:51 AM
able -

You're doing great. Keep up the good work.

Lord Helmet
11-10-2004, 04:17 PM
able -

You're doing great. Keep up the good work.
Agreed
;)

TheSauceMaster
11-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Oh I am not really complaining , It was more of a suggestion til the situation can be cured , I just think people who have took the time to signup and contribute should have priority. Other than that PD is the best forum for intelligent Pacers talk ..Nuff Said :cool:

Hicks
11-10-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm really hoping this switch from MySQL to Oracle will solve a lot of the speed issues. :fingerscrossed: