PDA

View Full Version : School can't call team Cougars because it offends some women

PacersFan1991
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/school-cant-call-team-cougars-because-it-offends-some-women/1

Wow

cdash
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
That is so stupid.

Sparhawk
01-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Heard that on the radio. So dumb. There are a lot of teams that are the Cougars. It's an animal for fark's sake.

Bball
01-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Actually, considering the new use of the word, it's the TEAM that should be offended being called Cougars...

But it's all good... They have settled on calling the team the Milfs...

Lord Helmet
01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
The pussification of America continues....

Since86
01-19-2012, 05:26 PM
The pussification of America continues....

Make sure you pick up your participation trophy before you exit the thread.

Lord Helmet
01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Make sure you pick up your participation trophy before you exit the thread.
What else do you want me to say?

It's a dumb ruling. America is way too sensitive about a lot of things, IMO.

cdash
01-19-2012, 05:50 PM
What else do you want me to say?

It's a dumb ruling. America is way too sensitive about a lot of things, IMO.

I think he was agreeing with you. A participation trophy is very, very pussified.

Lord Helmet
01-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm such an idiot....

Lord Helmet
01-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I thought he was making a snide remark and I was like why did he "Thank" my post.

:laugh:

I'm sorry. :laugh:

Psyren
01-19-2012, 06:06 PM
:rolleyes:

jeffg-body
01-20-2012, 12:43 AM
We are getting way too politically correct nowdays as a society. No matter what you call it someone is always offended.

Bball
01-20-2012, 01:38 AM
We are getting way too politically correct nowdays as a society. No matter what you call it someone is always offended.

As a member of society I'm insulted by your accusation.

Bball
01-20-2012, 01:38 AM
... oh that was supposed to be green.... ;)

rexnom
01-20-2012, 02:06 AM
That is some awful reporting. Just terrible. Thankfully, the author includes the following note at the end:

UPDATE: A copy of the board's minutes was forwarded to us. It notes that there were many calls and emails from parents and others opposing Cougars, in part because of "the negative double entendre of the word 'cougar.' " But it should be pointed out that Cougars also was rejected because it was decided that mascot and the new school's blue-and-white colors were too close to those of BYU.

If a story seems too ridiculous to be true, it usually is. Let's all settle down.

If there's some society-wide problem here, it's the sensationalization of the news cycle.

Since86
01-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't know why you're calling the story not true. It say's clearly states that part of the reason they passed on Cougars was because it was offensive to women.

" But it should be pointed out that Cougars also was rejected because it was decided that mascot and the new school's blue-and-white colors were too close to those of BYU.

Regardless if it was the reason, or one of the reasons, it's still ridiculous and it's just another example of how stupid we've become as a nation. The fact that they had to even discuss it's double meaning is just dumb.

SycamoreKen
01-20-2012, 01:58 PM
What should be offensive to women is whe the call the girls'/women's teams names like cougarettes and such when there is no such thing.

Bball
01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
I've not heard that... It's usually the 'Lady' Cougars... or whatever name that I hear when talking about the girls' teams.

Lord Helmet
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Plus isn't it a compliment to call a middle-aged woman a cougar? :laugh:

It means she looks gooooooood. :laugh:

thewholefnshow31
01-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Regardless if it was the reason, or one of the reasons, it's still ridiculous and it's just another example of how stupid we've become as a nation. The fact that they had to even discuss it's double meaning is just dumb.

Agreed. The fact people were "offended" by a name of a freaking animal is astounding. Are we really that stupid?

The people who were offended and complained should have just been laughed at and they moved on.

I can understand if a school had a team name of the n-word why people would be offended, but Cougars? Really?

AesopRockOn
01-22-2012, 04:57 AM
That is some awful reporting. Just terrible. Thankfully, the author includes the following note at the end:

If a story seems too ridiculous to be true, it usually is. Let's all settle down.

If there's some society-wide problem here, it's the sensationalization of the news cycle.

Additionally (http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-corner-canyon-hs-mascot-corner-canyon-hs-has-a-mascot-colors-20120118,0,5030389.story), the kids chose the name 'Cougars' because:

They also said that the Cougar is also a mascot for three other Utah schools, plus Brigham Young University, whose school colors are also blue and white. Corner Canyon High School is the first in Utah to use the Charger as its mascot.And more to, I guess, the point of the thread:

http://i.imgur.com/8vTDN.png

jeffg-body
01-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I went through a Cougar phase in the Army my first two years in Germany and I don't think that they would be offended. Only to be young again......

Steagles
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Someone forgot to tell my high school, Greenfield-Central.... I'm in favor of changing the name to the Pumas