PDA

View Full Version : Pacers respond to Carlisle

Unclebuck
11-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I think we all agree that Carlisle is a great coach, but it is difficult to quanitify just how good he is.

One way to measure a coach is is how his team does after a timeout. Without exception when Carlisle calls a timeout the Pacers come back on the court and play harder, more together and just better basketball. They always respond. That does not mean they always score or get a stop, but they always play better.

It happens every game, the best example of it was last night, Pacers were down by 6 points in the 4th quarter, Rick calls a timeout and the Pacers come out of the timeout with re-newed enthusiasm and viger. We all know Rick is very smart, and he almost always makes the right calls, but he must also be a better motivator than anyone gives him credit for. In the next game you watch look at how the pacers respond to timeouts

Here is a quote from Carlisle after last night's game. He did not intend to compliment himself, but that is exactly what he is doing. A team that sticks together, plays hard, plays unselfish, and commits to the defensive end, is a very well coached team. Those characteristics are exactly the way a well coached team plays.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_041105.htm

ďIím never surprised at the good things that can happen when youíre a team that sticks together, plays hard, plays unselfish and commits at the defensive end and thatís what the first two games have been about for us"

TexasPacer
11-06-2004, 10:39 AM
So far this short season has produced two very competitive games in which good coaching decisions have contributed to the two victories. I agree that Carlisle is a great coach. Playing with a shorthanded lineup will demonstrate his ability to motivate, substitute well , and call good plays.

TexasPacer
11-06-2004, 10:40 AM
So far this short season has produced two very competitive games in which good coaching decisions have contributed to the two victories. I agree that Carlisle is a great coach. Playing with a shorthanded lineup will demonstrate his ability to motivate, substitute well , and call good plays.

MSA2CF
11-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Anyone else notice Rick got a haircut? :nerd:

Unclebuck
11-06-2004, 10:48 AM

I have family members who are trying to figure out what is going on. Someone suggested he has perhaps more hair, it looks thicker on top, filled in. I could not care any less, but that is what females have said to me.

MSA2CF
11-06-2004, 10:53 AM

I have family members who are trying to figure out what is going on. Someone suggested he has perhaps more hair, it looks thicker on top, filled in. I could not care any less, but that is what females have said to me.

Hmm...Maybe one of us should ask on the next Pacers.com edition of "Ask the Coach." :hmm:

Anthem
11-06-2004, 10:56 AM
I did, actually.

EDIT: Took a while for that post to show up. I was referring to the "anybody notice Rick got a haircut" and not "maybe we should ask him."

durned bulletin boards. :mad:

NewType
11-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Whatever he did, he should recommand it to Cro.:laugh:

MarionDeputy
11-09-2004, 03:50 PM

Thats hilarious, my wife said the same thing. I would never have noticed but once she brought it to my attention, I think she may be right. Someone needs to do a comparison. I pretty much keep my head shaved bald, so maybe my wife is trying to tell me something.......

Will Galen
11-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Whatever he did, he should recommand it to Cro.:laugh:

Cro is thin on top and I believe it bothers him. He used to pat himself on the top of the head when he first came in a game. I don't know if he still does it.

Lord Helmet
11-09-2004, 05:59 PM
I have noticed his thinning hair on top.He should try to get something for that.How old id he?28 29?Just look at Seahawks Qb Matt Hasselback :laugh:

waxman
11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Think I figured out the hair thingy from watching the Minnesota game last night.... it is shorter...but he is now parting it the opposite way from last year....in an effort to cover up a receding hair line from previously parting the other way for years.

Now...if we can just get Ron focused. ;)

Harddrive7
11-10-2004, 01:19 PM
So now this thread has turned into, Do the Pacers play better out of timeouts now that Rick got a haircut? ;)

waxman
11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Well thats where UB was going with this thread right...:laugh:

indygeezer
11-10-2004, 02:16 PM
All I can say Hardrive is that that kids mother must be one heckuva good looking babe.

Vicious Tyrant
11-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Geez, it's hard for me to feel too confident in the safety your sig advertises when you don't even spell "Guard" right! :laugh:

J/K, it's always lame to criticize grammar and spelling on these message boards!

You're right, however, about that cute kid! Well done, Harddrive (I assume you're the dad?!)

Anyhoo, what were we talking about? Haircuts? (Rick's looks terrible, btw) Or was it coaching?

I never played organized ball, so I'm curious - what is it that a coach does (or doesn't do) that inspires players? I get that a coach has to plot out a good play coming out of a time out, but how does a coach influence players attitudes in such a short time?

indygeezer
11-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Geez, it's hard for me to feel too confident in the safety your sig advertises when you don't even spell "Guard" right! :laugh:

J/K, it's always lame to criticize grammar and spelling on these message boards!

You're right, however, about that cute kid! Well done, Harddrive (I assume you're the dad?!)

Anyhoo, what were we talking about? Haircuts? (Rick's looks terrible, btw) Or was it coaching?

I never played organized ball, so I'm curious - what is it that a coach does (or doesn't do) that inspires players? I get that a coach has to plot out a good play coming out of a time out, but how does a coach influence players attitudes in such a short time?

Well, my Jr. Hi coach used to take his belt off and whip slackers with it during half time or after the game.
Sometime sjust for the heck of it.

Suprisingly, I knew about the misspelling...funny how long it to somebody to mention it (it's part of the joke)