PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jones is better than Stephen Jackson right now

Unclebuck
11-05-2004, 11:09 PM
I am not starting this thread to rip Jackson, but from what I have seen the first two games Freddie is better than Jackson right now.

Freddie was extremely impressive tonight, his rebounding, defense (one-on-one, and great team defense) his ability to creat offense is very impressive, if he keeps this up he will be in the regular rotation at the expense of someone.

Fred got that huge uplifting dunk tonight when the pacers were down 6 early in the 4th.

I just love Fred's on court demeanor.

RA231
11-05-2004, 11:13 PM
He played more minutes that Jackson did tonight, but it was only by a minute. But I agree, so far he has played better. Its just 2 games into the season though.

ImCrazyB
11-05-2004, 11:15 PM
First two games...

SJax looked like a monster in the pre-season.

SJax is a much better SG for now then FJones is mainly because he is a bigger and better defender and capable of grabbing more boards then Freddie is. But Fred definitely has a nastier dunk then SJax..Theres no denying that...But saying FJones is better then SJax just because he has had a bad start is just stupid. Maybe a couple years down the road when Freddie develops a little more..This will be a more valid argument.

Thats all I have to say.

Hicks
11-05-2004, 11:16 PM
So far he's been better. But I think that'll balance out once Jax stops shooting cold.

Arcadian
11-05-2004, 11:19 PM
I think Rick thinks Fred's playing better. When the game was tight Fred was on the floor and Jackson was on the bench.

Maybe Jack hasn't adapted to Rick's expectations yet.

Unclebuck
11-05-2004, 11:20 PM
I know Rick was pissed when Jackson took that three at the end of the first quarter with 14 seconds left when he should have held the ball for the last shot, and then the Celts hit a three.

Slick Pinkham
11-05-2004, 11:22 PM
The penetrations off the dribble were a welcome sight from Freddie.

I still see point guard possibilities.

:drool:

Anthem
11-05-2004, 11:22 PM
I think Freddy's playing better in Carlisle's ssystem, sure. Jax did a lot of his preseason damage in games that were before the system got put in place.

He'll catch up. It is nice to see Freddy doing well, though.

Gonna be weird when Reggie comes back.

birdman
11-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Carlisle just needs to find a way to work S-Jax into the game.

Hicks
11-05-2004, 11:24 PM
I don't see Fred as a PG now. He's just not that good of a passer.

Lord Helmet
11-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Freds rebounding was very impressive.IMO S.Jax needs to improve the D alittle.Freds dunks are always awesome and he seems to do them right when we need some inspiration and they help.But its only 2 games into the season.I expect S.Jax to start hitting some more jumpers tommorow which he started to do tonight alittle. 2-0 baby!! :boomer: Keep it up!!

Suaveness
11-05-2004, 11:32 PM
As if I ever doubted Fred ;)

MSA2CF
11-05-2004, 11:44 PM
I think Freddy's playing better in Carlisle's ssystem, sure. Jax did a lot of his preseason damage in games that were before the system got put in place.

Yeah, give Stephen some time. He's new; Fred has been here just a tad longer.

TheSauceMaster
11-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Freddie has Had his moments , I am just Shocked no one has praised Croshere alittle , the man has been great the first 2 games ;)

Ragnar
11-05-2004, 11:53 PM
UB I was thinking the exact same thing during the game tonight. I was sitting there thinking hey maybe we didnt need Ajax Fred seems to be doing just fine.

McKeyFan
11-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Freddie had a great line tonight. 8 rebounds along with 4 to 2 assists to turnovers. Hit all his threes and free throws.

Other great lines: Croshere (8 boards) and great shooting. And how bout David Harrison leading team in offensive rebounds, and 2 for 2 shooting and 4 for 6 free throws? I'm stoked.

TheSauceMaster
11-05-2004, 11:55 PM
UB I was thinking the exact same thing during the game tonight. I was sitting there thinking hey maybe we didnt need Ajax Fred seems to be doing just fine.

Why is that a :o Freddie clearly has had more time in Rick's system vs Sjax ..we all seen Sjax can play and I fully expect him to breakout soon.

ABADays
11-05-2004, 11:59 PM
SJax will be a difference maker in games just like Fred was tonight.

Ragnar
11-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Good point Sauce

Anthem
11-06-2004, 12:23 AM
I don't see Fred as a PG now. He's just not that good of a passer.

Are we watching the same Gill? Did you see him dribble the ball out of bounds with nobody on him? Compare that to Freddie's great pass to Croshere to pretty much seal the game.

I'd take Freddy as our backup PG right now, and leave Gill on the third string. AJ might end up on the third string if he takes too long and Freddy gets used to PG.

Unclebuck
11-06-2004, 12:33 AM
I thought Gill played pretty well and his defensive game is outstanding, he was able to put the clamps on Payton after Tinsley was having some trouble

Anthem
11-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Oh, Gill did fine. But I'd still like to see Freddy getting the backup PG minutes.

I like Tinsley a lot, but thought Carlisle played him too much tonight. He was just off.

Arcadian
11-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Gill is an upgrade from Kenny.

Unclebuck
11-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Some of you are being defensive when it comes to SJ. My intent was not to be critical of Jackson at all. His rebounding has been great, I have no problems with the way he has played.

I like having them both and it gives the Pacers great athleticism and it allows the coaching staff to mix and match the lineups to the Pacers benefit.

One thing about Jackson's offense he is very streaky, he needs to be allowed to take a few shots to get into a groove and when he does he can score 15 points in a quarter. That is where he is like Jalen Rose. Jackson won't get in a groove, taking one shot a quarter, he needs volume. Thay is one reason why I believe he should come of the bench so he gets more shots per minute.

MSA2CF
11-06-2004, 11:47 AM
"That is where he is like Jalen Rose. "

:yikes::zip:

Suaveness
11-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Haha...if it makes you feel better, he actually does play defense and do the little things which Rose did not.

Jermaniac
11-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Jax hasnt been worried about shooting, he is trying to pass the ball to his teammates and show that he isnt a ball hog. I'm sure Rick will work him in the offense and get him more shots after all it has only been 2 games.

Ragnar
11-06-2004, 02:55 PM
I think Gill is an upgrade over Johnson. I was not happy we signed him but I am ok with him now. I would much rather see him on the floor than AJ.

I would also like to see Freddie get some pt at the point because I think he has the skills to be a decent pg. Maybe not Tins good but better than AJ or Gill.

I loved Freddies drives that really made me happy. It is so good to see a player attack the rim.

Kegboy
11-06-2004, 05:14 PM
I know I harp on this a lot, but my one problem with Fred showed itself in the Cleveland game.

He was guarding James, who just stood there, looked down at him, then shot right over him. :shakehead:

He's a great player for his size, but he's just too damn small to start, and needs to work on his handle before he can play point. He passes well in the halfcourt, but he hasn't shown me he can get past a press at all.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

TexasPacer
11-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Freddie has had two great games coming off of the bench and sparking game winning rallies. I wonder what is going through Reggies mind as he watches Jackson and Freddie on the court?

sweabs
11-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Freddie has had two great games coming off of the bench and sparking game winning rallies. I wonder what is going through Reggies mind as he watches Jackson and Freddie on the court?

It's a good question...perhaps he will request to come off the bench after his injury, like Jermaine is doing.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-07-2004, 01:42 PM

I know one thing, he's thinking the team appears to be in pretty good hands at the SG spot in the years to come.

Eindar
11-07-2004, 03:28 PM
I know I harp on this a lot, but my one problem with Fred showed itself in the Cleveland game.

He was guarding James, who just stood there, looked down at him, then shot right over him. :shakehead:

He's a great player for his size, but he's just too damn small to start, and needs to work on his handle before he can play point. He passes well in the halfcourt, but he hasn't shown me he can get past a press at all.
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

In defense of Fred, has AJ shown that he can handle a full-court press? As I remember, Dwyane Wade and Rafer Alston gave him fits. I just don't see how Jones would be any worse than AJ.

skyfire
11-08-2004, 12:41 AM

I think Freddie would be about 3rd down the list of players who would get the assignment to be guarding LeBron (Ronnie and SJax coming ahead of him). Not many teams have 6'8 SG's which Freddie will be asked to guard either..

Kid Minneapolis
11-08-2004, 12:21 PM
LeBron hardly lacks in offense.

Anthem
11-09-2004, 12:55 AM
We put Jax on him. No problemo.

That's kinda the point... We'd play Jax over Jones. He's not saying we're in trouble, he's saying there are a lot of situations where it would be hard to play Jones if he can't adapt to the 1.

Bron's not the only one to do that to Freddy, either. Although with a 7' wingspan and a decent vertical, Freddy plays bigger than he looks.