PDA

View Full Version : OT: Animated gif sigs

skyfire
11-05-2004, 06:23 AM
I'm just interested to see what people think of the animated gifs that are used as sigs by a couple of members. I agree that both of them are very cool vids but do we really need to see them in every thread that you guys post in? I just loaded the 'hornets yellow unis' thread and after 2.4Mb of loading it was finally done only for me to realise that the hornets uniform was a link, the image wasn't actually in the thread. But the two animated gifs took up over half the download size for the entire page.

As forums go, PacersDigest members like big avatars and sigs, which I know some people disable images so it loads faster. I leave them on because i like to see the images and it doesn't load that slowly on DSL. But when the load time changes from 2secs to 20secs just because of animated gifs i've seen 100 times before, it prompts me to make a thread like this. </rant>

DEEman
11-05-2004, 06:56 AM
I agree. But the avatar/gif of rcarey, i can see that one over and over again

Hicks
11-05-2004, 07:25 AM
We actually said "no more animated .gifs" months ago, but I've been bad about enforcing that lately. To those of you with them, how about you go ahead and move them out; it really slows things down around here. Thanks.

Vicious Tyrant
11-05-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm on dialup and would greatly appreciate no animations in the sigs.

ChicagoJ
11-05-2004, 11:53 AM
I like the sigs (not necessarily with animated .gifs) but it would be cool if a second, third, etc. post to the same thread was automatically posted without the sig - might not make a difference on load times but it would look 'cleaner'.

Anthem
11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
That's a great idea, Jay.

Able, can your code monkeys add that feature?

TheSauceMaster
11-05-2004, 01:18 PM
See why I love Firefox , I just right click and disable any image loading , which is what I do instead of punishing everyone by turning off sigs and avatars.

sweabs
11-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Sorry guys...:blush:

db530
11-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I wanted to see all of the animated GIFs, I love the one where Reggie shoots and Artest walks away with his hand saying #1

skyfire
11-07-2004, 07:14 AM
bump : whatup kstat?