PDA

View Full Version : PD's Biggest Loser 2012

travmil
01-02-2012, 01:04 PM
If anyone is interested in playing, I'm starting a new diet today.

My weigh in was 335 pounds which is the heaviest I've ever been.

I'll also be tracking my diet, exercise, and weight loss progress with the Lose It! app for my smart phone. If you don't have a smart phone, you can track just at the website. My wife and I took our "before" pictures this morning at the weigh in.

ErikD.
01-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm in at 240. I did a juice fast for 2 days and lost nine pounds over the weekend. I felt like crap and couldn't take it anymore. My wife is still on it and going for a week.

bellisimo
01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm in - been on a diet the past 2 months before the holidays to drop 20lbs but im sure i've picked a few lbs during the days off...will post stats soon

Sparhawk
01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm 175. I just need to lose the small pot belly. I blame marriage for that!

Already started to work out again, but I need to do cardio.

Best of luck on your diet. You should start a blog to help keep track. Or just start a post on here. Then the PD community can help keep you accountable.

jeffg-body
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I am in. I am at my all time high weight of 332. I am starting back on the treadmill and will be going to classes sponsored by the VA for overweight Veterans. I have gone in the past and everyone gets weighed and a counselor talks with everyone on how their progress is going and recommends further steps. If anyone out there is a vet, it is called the MOVE program, it is free and they do a lot of helping people.

Stryder
01-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm in. I'm at my alltime heaviest at 260 lbs. I'm starting to run again and workout. I have made attempts in the past to lose weight and have been successful, but I've never stuck with it. I need to stick with it. For my wife and son and myself.

travmil
01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
How long do we want to run it? I was hoping for at least 8 weeks but I'd really like to do 12 through the end of March? Is that too long? My overall goal will take much longer.

Stryder
01-02-2012, 11:27 PM
How long do we want to run it? I was hoping for at least 8 weeks but I'd really like to do 12 through the end of March? Is that too long? My overall goal will take much longer.

I think 12 would be good. My overall goal will take longer as well.

jeffg-body
01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I like 12 weeks also. I have am uch bigger goal down the road but 12 weeks should be enough to get me started in the right direction.

travmil
01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Sounds like consensus on 12 weeks to me so let's lay out the rest. In the past we've done weekly weigh ins so I'd like to continue that. And we will go by percentage of original bodyweight lost just like the show to determine who the biggest loser is.

If anyone has any workout/diet ideas they'd like to share please feel free. I'd be particulary interested in what you guys are doing for healthy snacks. I can eat carrots and celery if I have to but if anyone has a way to dress anything up and still have it be healthy I'm all ears.

Also, anyone is free to join in at ANY time. I don't care if you were with us the whole 12 weeks or not. The goal here is overall health for me, not bragging rights. I will brag about losing weight, but not because I "beat" someone else.

First check in will be Monday, January 9th.

Good luck everyone. Let's be healthier!

bellisimo
01-03-2012, 10:19 AM
12 weeks is fine.

after holidays weight- 211lb...yeesh...gained 8lbs over the holidays...

I'm starting my regime today.
I don't have chance for much workout/etc during winter as my body can't handle it and end up getting sick so my route will be to go with my diet change.

I have breakfast which consists of 2 eggs and a slice or two of cheese. Everyday I make the eggs differently so i don't get bored of it.

for lunch i just have a small chocolate

dinner consists of a salad - basically a plate full of mixed greens and one portion of meat on top, whether it is tuna, grilled chicken breast, beef, etc...depending on what is available.

I'm cutting out on all the carbs, only drinking water and tea and only dessert is chocolate.

this has been a pretty good lifestyle for me which i maintained the past few months...im just waiting till may - which is when i can hit the gym...so in the meantime im lookin' at cutting out the extra lbs.

thefeistyone
01-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm in, I did a biggest loser thing last year for work and cut from 245 down to 223. This morning I was 227 (we'll blame it on the holidays)

I would like to fluctuate between 210-215, which is probably about where I should be, I'm 6'5

I found the best way to lose weight it to keep track of your food on something like myfitnesspal.com or some other ap like that. I play ball 3 times a week and soccer twice for my workout, it's just my diet I struggle with.

I open to any tips or tricks any of you have used

Good Luck!

RWB
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I open to any tips or tricks any of you have used
Good Luck!

No matter how hard you try there are going to be times you hit the quick fast food route. Don't be embarrassed and order the kids meal instead of the #1 combos.

travmil
01-03-2012, 02:25 PM
No matter how hard you try there are going to be times you hit the quick fast food route. Don't be embarrassed and order the kids meal instead of the #1 combos.

Also, swap out the fries if you can. Even a little bag of the cookies is better for you than deep fried carbohydrates.

duke dynamite
01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I'll go, let me weigh myself this evening.

hoosierguy
01-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I've lost 52 lbs the past two years so I won't be participating in this round.

Gamble1
01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm 175. I just need to lose the small pot belly. I blame marriage for that!

Already started to work out again, but I need to do cardio.

Best of luck on your diet. You should start a blog to help keep track. Or just start a post on here. Then the PD community can help keep you accountable.
Hear you on that... If you don't have a kid yet count on more. ITS SOOOO HARDD TOO WORKOUT with a youngster.

For those who want tips and no I haven't tried this but heard about this and think it may help with eating too much.

Chia seeds.. Personally i hate feeling empty but this may help with the "not so full feeling that makes you want a burger instead of a salad.

Good Reasons To Start Eating Chia Seeds
Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.
Edit: not sure if all these points are true but you can do your own research if you interested. :)

Frostwolf
01-04-2012, 03:09 AM
good luck guys! i'll be rooting for all of you.

travmil
01-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Reason 8 for eating Chia seeds.

If you decide you don't like them, you can always use them to grow funny and/or fashionable terra cotta figurines in your personal indoor garden.

That's serious BTW. I wondered, and when I checked out the Chia seeds Gamble mentioned, sure enough, they are the same thing you put on a Chia Pet.

indygeezer
01-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I went from 260 to 235 last fall...now I'm up to 240 and really need a kick in the *** to get going again.

This will do it although with the bum knee now I won't be doing much cardio so my goal will be 225 by the end of March.....200 by the end of August.

btw.....I'm 5'8" and mid-60's.

bellisimo
01-09-2012, 06:42 AM
first check in: 209lb (-2lb)

jeffg-body
01-09-2012, 11:04 PM
First Weigh in Check: 331. One pound after all of that working out. Next step will be to start with portion sizes. It doesn't help though that my wife is a master candy and pie maker, curse that sugar cream pie...

travmil
01-10-2012, 01:02 AM
My first check in is 331 lbs, so 4 lbs, decent start.

I didn't do any exercising this week other than walking my dog a bit extra. What I did do was religiously watch my calorie intake. I didn't cut out snacks completely, but when I did snack, I tried to choose something like a piece of fruit, or if all I had was something bad for you I weighed it out and made sure to take no more than the suggested serving. I also went cold turkey on diet soda and went to a glass of skim milk in the morning and H2O the rest of the day.So far so good I suppose.

indygeezer
01-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Still at 240....but I got up to 243 after a wild weekend. That came back off easily enough but now to get to serious work.

Stryder
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
First check in...

258 lbs. Down 2 lbs.

Stryder.

Major Cold
01-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I know I am late but I have to use all the tools.

I have a sleep disorder and I think being over weight is a major hindrance to controlling this.

I am 6'4" 268. I want to get down to 240 by June. I am on a 2000 calorie diet with 150 carbs max a day. After the next two weeks that will be dropped to 100 carbs.

Almonds are my friend, along with tuna. I am playing basketball twice a week for an hour. And lifting twice a week. In February I will start running 5 miles a week. By May I want to run a 5k.

Major Cold
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Question:

Where can I get Chia seeds? GNC?

indygeezer
01-14-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm not doing well at all. This inablity to do any leg (cardio) exercises is killing me mentally. Thus I've put on 6 lbs and feel terrible. Without the exercise I don't maintain my diet as I should and so.............

Hello, my name is Geezer and I'm a fatty.

Spicoli
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
I am quite aware of the mental grind involved with dropping weight (Geezer can testify I've had some experience with this). It can be a huge and deeply personal commitment, and it's all too easy to let one slip-up be justification to go back go old habits.

Best advice I can give is to treat each day as an opportunity to better yourself. Try to fill up on high volume, low energy dense foods. Make lean protein your best friend diet-wise and avoid drinking your calories. For most people, dropping weight is 90% diet and 10% exercise . . . but never underestimate the mental health benefits of exercising. Find some activities you enjoy and can stick with long-term, and break a good sweat most days!

Rooting for everyone to kick this competition's arse!!

travmil
01-14-2012, 11:42 PM
We're all rooting for you Geezer.

I'm doing ok. I've dropped another 4 lbs so hopefully I can keep it up before the official weigh in on Monday.

bellisimo
01-16-2012, 05:50 AM
week 2 - no change - rightfully so - i've been rather slow with getting out of my bad diet - this week is the change though.

ErikD.
01-16-2012, 07:17 AM
245 this morning, +5lbs.
I've been eating well, it must be water weight coming on after that juice diet or something :confused:
I really need to get on track at the gym this week.

jeffg-body
01-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Week 2- minus 3 lbs, better than I thought it would be.

travmil
01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Dropped 3 more lbs for a total of 7 lost. I'm at 328.

travmil
01-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Still at 328. No loss this week.

neosmndrew
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Officially back down to my pre-holidays weight. I didn't measure myself, but I ate a huge meal every day basically and worked out twice in a 3 1/2 week period. Pretty content and looking forward to the coming weeks.

Major Cold
01-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Down 14 pounds

travmil
01-28-2012, 10:52 PM
That's awesome MC keep it up!

Stryder
01-29-2012, 11:37 AM
253 lbs. -7 lbs total.

Going to Disney World tomorrow for 5 days. Lots of walking, but also lots of food present. We'll see how this goes.

Stryder
01-29-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm not doing well at all. This inablity to do any leg (cardio) exercises is killing me mentally. Thus I've put on 6 lbs and feel terrible. Without the exercise I don't maintain my diet as I should and so.............

Hello, my name is Geezer and I'm a fatty.

Keep with it Geezer!

travmil
01-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Pretty big breakthrough this week. I lost 8 pounds after not losing any at the last weigh in. Really restricting how much I eat pretty heavily now.

320lbs.

Dgreenwell3
01-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Good for you guys, know it's late but I would like to join?
6 4 210.

travmil
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Good for you guys, know it's late but I would like to join?
6 4 210.

Absolutely. The more the better. This is more about being healthier and leaning on each other to do it that it is to win a contest.

jeffg-body
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Down 3 lbs for a total of 7lbs.

jeffg-body
02-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Another 3 pounds for a total of 10lbs. I have my appointment with the VA nutritionist on the 24th and start in the group on the following Friday and I can start using their gym four days a week. I can't wait to get this going again and hopefully with their support and guidance I can get back on the right track. The support group works well, the last time I was in it I lost 25 lbs in three months. Hopefully I will not have an unexpected event and drop out of the program again.

travmil
02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Man, I totally forgot to post my Monday weigh in. I was 318 Monday morning so two more pounds. I was back to 320 this morning though so gotta keep at it.

jeffg-body
02-14-2012, 12:17 AM
I lost 8 pounds from last week, but to be honest I had the stomach flu Tuesday-Saturday and am still pretty dehydrated feeling.

travmil
02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
I weighed 320 at my doctor appointment yesterday afternoon, so that's actually a net gain of 2 pounds. Still down by 15 lbs overall though and my doctor was happy to see that.

travmil
02-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I just got back from Vegas late last night so I'm just now weighing in. Needless to say, all you can eat buffets and eating out for every meal for four straight days does not do a diet good.

I weighed in a 324 this morning which is a 4 lb gain. Down by 11 lbs still though. My wife and I are going to check out Target Metabolism. I'm losing weight, but not like I wanted to. Maybe that can help.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2012, 02:29 AM
So my wife and I have been dieting for 3 weeks today. She has been working out for about 40 minutes a day, 4 days a week. Ive been playing basketball with my daughter.

We've not cheated or slacked off in 3 weeks and we decided when we started if we made it this far, we would have a "cheat day"

So she's been wanting pizza, and Ive been wanting cheeseburgers. We've both been wanting nachos, and brownies.

So being the cook of the house I found some semi healthier versions of these foods, and we are having all three today. Kid is getting picked up at school and staying with Gma. So we can get a little disoriented too. Ive even went so far as to save up all of our favorite comedies from the past 2 weeks so I have no intensions of leaving the coach.

I know this might seem silly or even gluttonous, but it really worked as something to work towards.

By the way. My wife has lost 21 lbs, and I haven no idea what Ive lost because I just haven't checked before, during, or after. I will say I feel better with more energy and drive, and I just feel smaller if that makes any sense.

So hopefully I will be posting this again in another 3 weeks.

Good luck to everyone!

Major Cold
02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Sorry I haven't checked in. I am down 22 lbs at 246. I work out twice a week and eat salad. I watch my carb count and limit portion size.

Although I have only lost 2 lbs in the last two weeks. So I am going to have to get regimental next week on the diet. No more sweets. I did that for the first two weeks. Now I am getting careless. Those sugars really zap your progress.

jeffg-body
02-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Well the weight came back after being sick. I was down 4 pounds this week until the funeral days where we ended up eating out and now I am +1 pound for the week.

travmil
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
When I weighed in last night before bed, I hadn't lost any weight. But this morning I weighed in, and weighed a full two pounds less. Do people really lose weight while sleeping?

Anyway, my official weigh in from last night is 324.

My wife and I have appointments at Target Metabolism on March 8th to check that out. I'll let you know how it goes...

jeffg-body
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I went and met with the VA nutrionist yesterday and today I have started measuring and writing down everything that I eat for the day. They gave me this cool book that has the calories, fat, sodium and carbs for most of the fast food and sit down restaurants. We set a goal of 15 pounds for the month and I will see her then to be weighed in front of a group. 1800 calorie diet has not been too bad today. She made me sign a promisary contract to exercise 5 days a week for at least 1 hour, but the doctor is going to give me a prescription to work out at the VA gym three days a week so it won't be all on the treadmill at home.

thewholefnshow31
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM
To anyone who is doing this and has a smart phone I strong suggest downloading the app MyFitnessPal.

You can enter in your goal calorie intake for the day and then keep track of everything you eat. You can just scan barcodes or enter it in and it will put the details in for you. It really has put into perspective what I have put in my body.

I got up to 175 pounds and I have dropped over 20 pounds by just eating better, keeping an eye on my calories, and reducing my intake of pop.

It is a fantastic app.

Good luck to everyone doing this.

indygeezer
03-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Update to the Jan 14 post where I said I couldn't exercize and had put on 6 lbs. I still can't do anything without aggravating the knee and now a shoulder is involved too. I'm up 10 lbs (total) and the close I was begiinning to wear are starting to tighten on me. I'm seeing a sports medicine doctor Friday morning.

I know I have a Baker's Cyst behind my left knee and they may be able to help that by draining it or even removing it if it is necessary.

Here's hoping I can soon get back to the gym because it's no longer a habit.

jeffg-body
03-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Hang in there indygeezer, I know what you're feeling with a bum wheel. I just got the ok to walk on the treadmill today. I started the 1800 calorie diet last Tuesday and am down 8 pounds from then. I couldn't believe that after not working out once and eating a little less that it would be this much weight loss in one week.

indygeezer
03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Jeff....doc said I can do anything I want except nothing involving squat or knee type extentions. No Jacobs Ladder either...or treadmill. Too much loss of cartledge in left knee.

But as of yesterday I'm back to doing core strength work and the diet. Already lost two lbs since Sunday evening. SO I'm only up 8 from my low point and am determined to bust thru that 200 level.

vapacersfan
03-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Started Jenny Craig with my fiance back in Jan.

Was at 202 when I started.

Weighed in yesterday at 186.1

Lost 15.9 lbs so far

They set my goal weight at 170. Hoping to be there by our wedding in April, but I doubt it.

PS. Had my first soda since I started this 8 weeks ago today. Maybe its just coincidence, but good grief I am gassy and my gas (and poops) are stinky today

jeffg-body
03-11-2012, 12:41 AM
I am looking forward to a bad weigh in this week. The wife went to Henryville with the American Red Cross to volunteer with the clean-up and I stayed home with the kids. Having to cook for everyone, ordering out and the added stress of dealing with the kids took a toll on eating habits. The stress of continuing to look for a job weighed in too. Add the fact that I woke up this morning and my calf feels like it is wound up tighter than a guiter string makes it not possible to walk on the treadmill this week. I still have been writing down my food that I eat but I have been consistently in the high 1900-2100 calorie range, over from the 1800 calorie diet set by the nutritionist. I guess it is a good thing I don't go back to see her until late March. I will be much stricter starting tomorrow. The wife is going shopping for the weeks worth of food and she is getting me some pre-packaged meals so I can eat better while she is gone this week. I am glad she came home for the weekend.

jeffg-body
03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Down three pounds from last week.

travmil
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
OK so I had my meeting with the nutriotionist at Target Metabolism last night. Some very interesting things. She said basically that the diet I was restricting myself to was impossible to maintain and wasn't enough calories for me. They measure the amount of caolories you would burn even if you slept 24 hours a day. Then they add in your daily activity. They take the higher number, do a calculation, and come up with your target calorie intake. My target calorie intake was almost 800 calories higher than the number I was actually taking in. She said it's important to stay around that target number. Found out a lot of interesting stuff.

My weight hasn't changed, still at 324.

vapacersfan
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Lost 1.4 lbs.

Pretty surprising considering how much I went out this past week

jeffg-body
03-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Down 4 pounds this week. I meet with the nutritionist tomorrow so hopefully I am close to the 15 pound goal for the month.

Natston
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Keep up the good work guys or gals, I am down sixty pounds from where I was. So if I can do it anyone can... :)

jeffg-body
03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
I went and weighed in today with the nutritionist at the VA in Marion. My scale must be broken at home. I thought that I was going to barely make our goal of 15 pounds. Instead when I stepped on the scale it had me at losing 24 pounds for the month. We checked it with 2 other scales at the hospital and the other two had me losing the same and one had me at a pound more lost. I have only exercised 1 time this past month (yesterday walking 2.5 miles at the park). The only thing I did differently was count calories. We set another goal of 10 pounds for the next month and increased calories to 2000.:dance:

travmil
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I meant to report in this morning. I had my second meeting with my target metabolism nutritionist last evening, and I lost another 7 lbs. That's pretty staggering for me in less than two weeks since my intitial meeting.

jeffg-body
03-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I waited to reply because my home scale is not working right. I lost another 2 pounds per the VA scale.

vapacersfan
04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Lost 2.9 lbs this week 19 lbs total. 8.1 inches total in 13 weeks

travmil
04-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Ok so through the end of March my weight is 314. That's 21 lbs lost for a percentage loss of 6.3%.

jeffg-body
04-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Had a bad week so my weight went up 3 pounds :mad:. Waiting for new job offer, daughter sick and worrying about my business plan drove me to overeat a bit. I am gonna be starting to walk on the treadmill tomorrow and be proactive on the calorie count and what kind of things I am eating. Skipping meals to be able to eat more in the evening did not prove to be successful. I now have until May1 to lose 13 pounds. My daughter has volunteered to be my personal coach and she is on top of it :laugh:. I think with the upcoming baseball practices, her learning to ride a bike and being more disciplined will get better results.

travmil
04-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Well even though the contest is "officially" past the original run time, I am going to continue to check in as I am continuing on with the Target Metabolism program. I am losing weight slowly. Down another two pounds from last week to 312. The great thing about Target is that it forces you to account for EVERYTHING you eat. I can honestly say that I had to have been eating double what I am eating now. Hard to lose weight that way.

jeffg-body
04-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Well even though the contest is "officially" past the original run time, I am going to continue to check in as I am continuing on with the Target Metabolism program. I am losing weight slowly. Down another two pounds from last week to 312. The great thing about Target is that it forces you to account for EVERYTHING you eat. I can honestly say that I had to have been eating double what I am eating now. Hard to lose weight that way.

I think I am going to do the same because I need that structure to keep it up. The VA makes me write down everything I eat too and then we get together and review how it went.

jeffg-body
04-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Just weighed in and lost 2 pounds for the week. Now that I am starting to work I think that will help tremendously in getting my exercise in while running around the place helping customers, answering phone calls, testing stuff and and in general being in a faster work pace for an extended period of time. Also I am expirementing with a supplement that was endorsed by Dr. OZ on his show last week. It is called Raspberry Ketones. It is the chemical inside the berry that makes them smell the way the do. He said if we were to just eat more raspberries that it would take 9 pounds of raspberries to get the same dosing. It has had no side effects on me these past two days and it seems to get me a little more energetic and I feel a little better. I just do one in the morning and one at night. I take that back, the one side effect is if I burp it smells like raspberries to me a little bit.

hoosierguy
04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
I haven't been participating in this contest but I thought I would share that I have lost another 20 lbs since Christmas. From October 2009 when I weighed 267 lbs I am down to 195 lbs currently. In one year I lost over 50 lbs.

travmil
04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I had my check in with Target earlier this evening, and I lost another 3 lbs so I'm down to 309 lbs.

jeffg-body
04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
I just weighed myself and I am even at 0 pounds lost or gained this week. Considering starting a new job recently and eating out at lunch most days that I work zero was a releif to me. I just need to back to healthy eating again and try to get on the treadmill, but I walk so much at work my knees and ankles are killing me by the time I get done. I did get some gel insoles and it has been a little better. Maybe next week will be better since I only work 3 days, sucks pay wise though.

travmil
06-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Just thought I'd give an update. My weight is down to 300 lbs even, so 35 lbs lost since January 1st. Still losing too.

Sparhawk
06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Gonna start working out tomorrow. Doing weights 3x/wk week and running 3x/week.

I don't have much weight to lose (10-15lbs), but I've got a pot belly that I need to get rid of. Lots of running and core workouts (back and abs).

My wife and I are signing up for a lot of 5k races and we have already signed up for a Half Marathon on Thanksgiving day. Gonna start working up to that, cause I mainly do 3 miles and that's it. Half Marathon will be a huge challenge.

jeffg-body
06-11-2012, 12:50 AM
My update has me losing 31 pounds total so far I did 24.6 my first month in the VA program then stunk it up the second month only losing 1 pound. This last month I did a little better dropping 7 pounds. My goal for June is set at 10 pounds and I am starting off again walking on Tues and Thur mornings with a friend, along with the endless walking that goes on at my new job. I have just started taking a supplement called Rasperry Ketones. It was recommended on the Dr. Oz show. I gotta get back on my calorie count though. Hopefully with summer here now I will drop some additional weight between helping my daughters baseball team, doing yard work and working in the garage building engines.

BringJackBack
06-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I recommend everyone look at bodyrecomposition.com to really learn everything before dipping into obsessive and/or non-progressive territory... Just a common sense approach at a very complex situation.

Haven't even seen this thread, but have went down from roughly 22% body fat to 14% body fat so far since January, and that has happened even with a standstill because of my rigid nature when it comes to accomplishing goals...

jeffg-body
06-17-2012, 01:59 AM
I am definitely checking that website. Anything to help kick start the process would be great.

pacer4ever
07-25-2012, 11:36 PM
:bump:

So it was about 4-6 weeks ago(dont remember the exact date) I stepped on the scale for the first time since about 8th grade. I though I would be around 200 im 6'1 not even close almost 230. I was really puzzled to why I though I was eating right but boy was I wrong. I looked at what was in my food for the first time. I had a philly cheese steak that wal-mart sales and I was shocked the thing had almost 1000 calories and I would eat 2 per serving :uhoh:. So since that day I have looked at everything that is in my food and incredibly I actually like the healthy food better than the greasy garbage I was eating and the smaller portions of good food fuel me better. I normally eat oatmeal with about 100 calories for breakfast and that keeps me full until dinner which is incredible(some times I eat a 230 calorie salad and more if I plan on a big workout) I use to be hunger a few hrs after eating when I ate the unhealthy stuff for breakfast like Cereal or a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds. I normally eat a Turkey Burger or grilled Chicken for dinner normally under 200 calories with some greens and Yogurt again I feel full and I didnt when I use to eat almost 2000 calories a meal. I cant tell you how much better I feel much more alert and can focus so much better and am never hungry. I have also started running again I use to tire after a 1/2 mile(so embarrassing). Last night I did 11 miles and felt so good afterwards felt like 8th grade Soccer practice where we would run a few miles but I actually loved it because it made me feel good afterwards again before 4 weeks ago my body just couldn't do it and struggled to do anything.

The biggest thing is my seizures are in check big reason I quit sports was my sezuires were really bad. Now I can overheat and run and not worry about having a seizure. I was considering brain surgry last year but after this period I dont think I need it because they have calmed down and I can play sports again.

Another big thing is now I am down to 185 and now I dont have nagging injures when I play hoops. I have a bad knee and it pops out of place a lot but since I dropped down to under 200 I really dont have a issue with it. My knee use to ache from running on the treadmill and I believe it was due to the 35lbs of extra weight. I think this was Baron Davis's issue with the Clippers when you are out of shape it is so easy to get nagging injures and he would miss a month most seasons due to a sore knee and I now understand why.

My goal is to get under 170 and then start toning with lifting weights and put on about 10lbs of muscle. I really cant believe how much just eating the right things and running 1-3 miles a day will do for you. I feel so much better I am glad I found out about nutrition before I got to a stage where it was almost to late. I really feel this has changed my life and I have pretty strong will power I have only ate 2 pieces of pizza in the last 4 weeks and that was really the only unhealthy thing I have ate. But my body is telling me too eat right it wants to be fueld so I really dont think I will ever go back to having 2000 calorie meals unless I become Micheal Phelps and burn 20,000 calories a day:D

I also am shocked at the difference in food types. The brown turkey burgers are 240 calories per 4oz and higher in fat. While white turkey burgers are 140 calories per 4oz. I never thought 4oz would fill me but it really does. Right now I am only eating 300-800 calories a day and I am full all the time. I guess junk food just isn't very filling??

Only things I drink is water and Mango Peach V8 juice(and Milk if I make a Yogurt smoothies Yogurt is my new favorite food way better than brownies and cookies taste wise and is so good for you and I had never ate it before 4 weeks ago :laugh: . I also drink some Diet Mt Dew some times but for the most part a glass of v8 and water.

I am still in aw of how such a small change can improve my quality of life by so much. I dont think I will ever get down to a 5:50 mile again like I could run in middle school but hopefully in a few months I can run a 7 min mile.

I am excited to check my body fat have a visit scheduled with my seizure doctor and they normally do that my BMI was so high last time(I think high 20s my goal is to get under 10)

bellisimo
07-26-2012, 05:00 AM
I had also said that i would do the challenge but due to traveling around for work a lot i ended up in a ditch - my initial weigh in was 211lb here but up till last week it had climbed to 216lb - which is when I decided to put an end to this and have gone on the keto diet - so far down 11lbs to 205lb in about 12 days - pretty sure lost quite a bit of water weight initially but I'm loving the whole not feeling like bloated 24/7 anymore! This is definitely more of a lifestyle change for me than a diet...going to reach 30 soon and have came to a clear sense that I gotta start taking care of my body as if it was my precious car or some other valuable object...only better!

pacer4ever
07-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I had also said that i would do the challenge but due to traveling around for work a lot i ended up in a ditch - my initial weigh in was 211lb here but up till last week it had climbed to 216lb - which is when I decided to put an end to this and have gone on the keto diet - so far down 11lbs to 205lb in about 12 days - pretty sure lost quite a bit of water weight initially but I'm loving the whole not feeling like bloated 24/7 anymore! This is definitely more of a lifestyle change for me than a diet...going to reach 30 soon and have came to a clear sense that I gotta start taking care of my body as if it was my precious car or some other valuable object...only better!

Budapest is the best place to get in shape every time I go I walk at least 10 miles a day one of the reasons it's my favorite city in the world can walk and yellow trolley and Bus anywhere.

Just curious do you know the bar right next too the Oprah house on the Buda side of Margret Bridge? As I kid I would be in there all the time was my favorite place in the city lol they had the best peach juice. Then I would have to walk home to My Gmas house which is up in the hills where the 91 &191 bus goes about a 1/2 mile from gil bubba's tomb(sp?). I think where my Gmas house was is the best place to get a great workout in just so many hills and roads I normally got lost lol.

I got so many great memories of that city hope to live their one day just impossible to find a teacher to teach me Hungarian unless I go their to study it.

jeffg-body
07-27-2012, 01:02 AM
I am really ticked off at myself right now. I was down to 328, I weighed myself yesterday and was back up to 332. I hired me a food Nazi in my oldest daughter. She was on me as soon as I got home. I fixed my dinner and she made sure I got some veggies and a smart one meal. After that she made some popcorn for their movie, but she reminded me that I could have none. Hopefully her "tough love" will make a difference soon and I can get to work losing weight again. I go back to see the VA doctor next month and I agreed to drop 10 pounds. Hopefully I can turn this thing around and make it to that 318 goal weight.

bellisimo
07-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Just curious do you know the bar right next too the Oprah house on the Buda side of Margret Bridge? As I kid I would be in there all the time was my favorite place in the city lol they had the best peach juice. Then I would have to walk home to My Gmas house which is up in the hills where the 91 &191 bus goes about a 1/2 mile from gil bubba's tomb(sp?). I think where my Gmas house was is the best place to get a great workout in just so many hills and roads I normally got lost lol.

Nope I don't think I know the Opera house which you speak of by Buda side of Margit Bridge. I'm not a bar person so I don't really know much bars here.

travmil
07-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I am really ticked off at myself right now. I was down to 328, I weighed myself yesterday and was back up to 332. I hired me a food Nazi in my oldest daughter. She was on me as soon as I got home. I fixed my dinner and she made sure I got some veggies and a smart one meal. After that she made some popcorn for their movie, but she reminded me that I could have none. Hopefully her "tough love" will make a difference soon and I can get to work losing weight again. I go back to see the VA doctor next month and I agreed to drop 10 pounds. Hopefully I can turn this thing around and make it to that 318 goal weight.

You're weight is very similar to mine when I started Target Metabolism. I don't know if that means your metabolism is the same as mine, but it could be that our numbers would be pretty similar. If you'd like to know I can share my initial Target numbers to give you a calorie goal to shoot for. Target helps a TON but remember that you have to be very strict about counting and keeping a journal of your calories. I would suggest using MyFitnessPal or Lose It! sites to help track cals. I prefer Lose It! but there are more that use MyFitnessPal. Both have free smart phone apps with bar code scanners that you can use your camera to scan the code and track calories. Let me know I'll tell ya whatever you want to know.

Gamble1
07-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Question:

Where can I get Chia seeds? GNC?

Not sure if anyone responded to this but if you haven't gotten them yet you can get them at most whole food stores. Trader Joes I know have them.

The best way I can describe the seeds is that they are similar to tomato seeds when they are in a smoothy or juice drink. They help a tad with filling you up too and they have a similar fiber content IMO to lentils.

Gamble1
07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Even though I haven't been apart of this I sort of took a life style change 3 months ago and for the last 2 weeks I took it up a notch.

So I started out around 200 lbs and now I am down to around 187. A 3 day juice fast took me from 192 to 185 but I am maintaing the loss of weight whether its water weight or not I don't care. The fast helped me shrink my stomach and stopped the hunger pains of calorie restrictive diet that incorporates working out.

From the mental side the documentaries on Netflix really give me some motivation even if I don't agree with some of the approaches to weight loss. Food Inc was one that just made me want to eat more organic food and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead was what got me thinking/researching about juicing so instead of a bowl of ceral now I normally juice a pound of carrots and drink it in the morn. (tip cool the juice down before drinking it and it taste better especially if you add greens).

Another fun fact I learned was that Kale is higher in Calcuim than milk. Of course the only way I'll eat the stuff is if I juice it but its easy to add to my carrot juice in the morning.

Also my wife pushed the wheat germ and Quinoa for plant sources of protien with lower carbs. I use the wheat germs for smoothies (I am a desert guy) and the Quinoa as a subsitute for brown or white rice.

My target weight right now is to get to around 170 lb's and maintain it.

jeffg-body
07-28-2012, 12:57 PM
That would be great. I am in a weight loss program right now with the VA hospital. The first month I did good with writing everything and dropped 24 pounds that month. The next month I still wrote everything down but I ended up having to eat out a few times a week and I only dropped a pound. The third month I dropped 8 pounds and didn't write anything down. This past month I gained 4 pounds and didn't write anything down. Exercise is difficult because at my job I am walking, climbing and carrying stuff that is sometimes heavy. I did start my job just a few moinths ago and have some stress trying to learn the systems and managerial duties as well. I have some joint problems and it is hard to work out right now. I think me writing down what I eat helps out a lot. Anything you could send would be great. I also have my daughter who has become the "food police" and she gets on my lately if I have too much to eat or get a midnight snack. I will look up the Target Metabolism too because it sounds interesting to me. Thanks a lot again and hopefully I can shed some of this weight.

Steagles
07-29-2012, 12:36 AM
I started weight training early in the summer. I started at 275 and lost 8 pounds before I gained 6 in muscle weight. Biggest improvement was going from 380 to 705 pounds on leg press.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

jeffg-body
08-12-2012, 01:38 AM
I went to the doctor Wednesday and found out that I have gained 3 pounds since my pneumonia kicked in. Hopefully it will keep getting better. It has been a total of five weeks now. Hopefully by the time summer ends I can slowly work my way back on the treadmill slowly and maybe even start lifting weights again little by little. I still have a long, long way to go and I know it will take some time.

bellisimo
08-14-2012, 02:56 AM
down to 200lbs - 16lbs overall in the first 4 weeks...not bad and the momentum is going well...

jeffg-body
08-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Down to 327.6 lbs. I think it is because I have been working more and walking all around the store for 4-10 hours a day can burn off some energy. Even though I have been eating pretty badly.

travmil
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
As of this week I have finished my 6 month program with Target Metabolism. The total damage is as follows.

Weight is 291, so that's 44 lbs lost since January 1st and 30 of it lost after starting Target.

My lean mass went up from 161 lbs to 171 lbs. Fat lbs went from 174lbs to 119 lbs. so that's 55lbs of pure fat loss in the 6 months I was on Target. I'm pretty stoked about it. My 4X shirts are hangin off of me I'm gonna have to buy new.

jeffg-body
08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I am down to 325 now, down 2 more pounds. I have been eating a little better but I attribute it more to working more hours.

jeffg-body
09-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Well guys, I am expecting a pretty good weight drop in the next few days. I have a wisdom tooth needing to come out and it just broke in half. I guess it is soft foods until my dentist appointment at the VA September 24th. After that I figure another 2 days to a week to get back to normal.

spazzxb
10-05-2012, 02:27 AM
I viewed this thread sometime ago, but never really posted. Guess I liked being in the closet about my weight.

I had been right around 315 pounds through my late 20's, but after having some complications from surgery which took a summer of physical activity away from me I ballooned up to about 350. I got motivated and joined a gym in March. On Fathers day I weighed 320 and ran/walked a 3.5-mile trail run in 48 minutes. This summer (I am a Grad Student), since I couldn't find work anyways, I made my health a top priority. I gave up soda and sweets (still have an occasional Dr. Pepper 10, coke zero, or even a Pepsi Next although I drink mostly water), for a month I tracked my calories using the "My fitness pal app”. For that month I ate 2100 calories (app estimated 2 #’s a week weight lost).

Since March I lift weights 3 times a week. During the summer I did 40 minutes cardio(mostly elliptical with some jogging) daily with two a days on the days I didn't lift. I also joined a swim club where I got hooked on shooting baskets again(hadn't played in 5-6 years prior). This summer I also started shooting baskets, dribbling, and jogging. I found simply shooting baskets and jogging to get the ball is actually a great cardio workout. While utilizing that strick schedule I lost over 20 pounds in June. In the beginning of July I broke under the 300# mark. Currently I weigh just under 270 and last Saturday completed the Fort for Fitness 4 mile run in 46:41(still walked some) which is better than 5 MPH.

Today after jogging a mile and shooting baskets for 20 minutes I was approached by some 20 somethings about playing a 2 on 2 game. I told them I would try, but I was already drenched in sweat and had my heart rate elevated for over 40 minutes(I wear a motoactive with chest strap heart rate monitor to track my calories ect.(it even has a basketball setting). Anyways we lost 15-14, but I didn't embarras myself. This was the first time in at least 5 years that I played in a competitive game in basketball.

While I am obviously proud of myself, I decided to post here to share my story and thank the people who started this thread because even though I never posted in this thread you guys were a source of motivation.
I also want to share what works for me. Since School started backup a rarely do 2 a days and they were only really necessary because I wanted to loose it fast. The majority of my cardio has been done on an elliptical trainer, but I always try to elevate my heart rate 40 minutes in any cardio workout (once I worked up to it) since I read it is the optimal amount for fat loss. I lift every other day M-W-F and try to only do low impact on Friday and Saturday. I use my monitor and time my reps so my heart rate never drops below 120 while doing about a 40 minute circuit of 3 sets 10-12 reps( lat pulldown, Triceps push down, seated row, bench 2 sets 2 different ways on the machine, preacher curls, leg curls, and leg press 2 sets feet one inch and shoulder as well 2 sets calves on same machine.) This is my routine and it has worked very well for me,

I weigh less than when I graduated high-school (I'm 6'2 and will always be a big guy) and have lost over 80 pounds in sixth months. I don't “diet”. I simply don't drink my calories and don't eat the things that everyone knows aren't good for them. I eat whole grain pasta and bread, 2% cheese, 1% milk, avoid flour tortillas, and limit the hamburgers. I eat French fries no more than once in a week(rarely that), however if I am hungry I eat. That one-month of calorie counting also made me very knowledgeable about how many calories are in food and I try to limit them where I can. While I don't journal calories I still us my fitness pal to make healthy choices.

The biggest tips I can give are; First, low impact exercises are your friend. Limiting high impact exercise keeps you from missing workouts from injuries.

Second, Know what you eat. Counting calories works (love my fitness pal) but at the very least you need to be educated on what you eat. Finally seek advice either through research or a consultation with a trainer. I only met a trainer once but he provided me with a routine that I still follow. Ultimately I worked hard, didn’t cut corners and did nothing mysterious. I am also stronger than I have ever been. If you cut your calories to much you are going to loose muscle as well as fat.

Ok this is long enough. Playing competitive basketball for the first time in a long time reminded me of this thread and I decided to contribute. Hopefully someone finds this of value.

Natston
10-08-2012, 02:28 AM
As the temps fall, I fear my weight is going to go back up. It hasn't helped that I recently have given up smoking...

jeffg-body
10-08-2012, 11:49 PM
My weight has taken an upswing too recently. I was down to 325 and weighed myself today and am a 334. I blame it on my lack of energy and poor discipline when it comes to eating lunch at work. I gotta start doing better because I get weighed again on 10/15 at my doctor's appointment at the VA Hospital in Marion, IN. It doesn't help that my appointment is with a doctor who I have never seen before who has already taken it upon himself to change a few of my medicines. I am gonna try to stay positive then, but I can see me asking how or why he would do that with no input from me. That stresses me out and when I am stressed out I usually eat more.

spazzxb
10-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Ran/walked a 5k in 32:15 today. Also down to 262

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

travmil
10-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Ran/walked a 5k in 32:15 today. Also down to 262

The one at Fort Harrison State Park? I jogged/walked in that. 40 minutes flat. My 5 year old did the kids fun run and finished 4th in his age group. He would have won but he felt sorry for me and didn't leave me in his dust until halfway through.

spazzxb
10-21-2012, 03:54 PM
No, one at my friends work. Medical Protective in Fort Wayne

jeffg-body
10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I met with my nutritionist and found out that I have gained back 15 pounds of the first 30 that I took off. We rallied around and made a plan for me to start writing down everything that I eat and drink in a journal and count the calories. I have been drinking a lot of calories. I will be talking with her on a weekly basis on the phone and monthly office visits. This is a great free programs for disabled veterans.

jeffg-body
10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Day one of writing down everything I eat. Total calories 2270. Only 70 above what I shot for. The VA gave me a great book that has most restaurants and most foods that I can think of. It is called The Calorie KIng Calorie Fat and Carbohydrate Counter. I like it because it is small but packs a ton of information. My only complaint is the writing is too small. Ok for me but someone with glasses may have problems. Gotta do weekly weigh-ins as well.

Dab
10-25-2012, 07:39 PM
I should have got in on this, down 60 pounds for the year (but I kind of cheated.) I still need to lose another 30 or so, but I'm heading in the right direction, eating good, regular healthy home-cooked meals, have lost about a pound a week for the last 5 weeks. The only fast food I've had in the last three months was a visit to Taco Bell where I had one regular beef taco, one bean burrito, and a potato burrito.

spazzxb
10-26-2012, 06:59 PM
I met with my nutritionist and found out that I have gained back 15 pounds of the first 30 that I took off. We rallied around and made a plan for me to start writing down everything that I eat and drink in a journal and count the calories. I have been drinking a lot of calories. I will be talking with her on a weekly basis on the phone and monthly office visits. This is a great free programs for disabled veterans.

Drinking calories was the biggest reason I gained weight to begin with. Do you have a smartphone? Try my fitness pal. Myfitnesspal.com is good for tracking calories to.

jeffg-body
10-27-2012, 02:19 AM
I was doing good with drinking up calories except at work where I ended up drinking 2 non-diet sodas. Today I did much better and ended up under my 2200 calorie goal. I used some almonds in between meals to help with cravings. It worked pretty good tonight because usually I feel really hungry. I ate about a dozen or so almonds and drank 20 ounces of water with them. Now back to work tomorrow and hopefullyI can keep my discipline and end up around the 2000 calorie mark. I will have to check out that myfitnesspal website. Unfortunately my crappy old cell phone that I have works poorly. My biggest problem seems to be late night eating.

I also have not been exercising any lately, mainly because of my work environment is a fast paced job where I am always on my feet, there is no sitting and there are times when we climb ladders and deal with heavy car parts. By the time I get home I can barely walk or even go up and down stairs. I am going to start very slowly incorporating exercise in with me doing some weight training and do slow walking on the treadmill on my days off. I am hoping the weight starts coming off and maybe a year from now I will be closer to my goal. If I could get down to 210-220 lbs I would feel much better. I know that all of this weight puts a lot of stress on my knees and ankle.

spazzxb
11-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I should have got in on this, down 60 pounds for the year (but I kind of cheated.) I still need to lose another 30 or so, but I'm heading in the right direction, eating good, regular healthy home-cooked meals, have lost about a pound a week for the last 5 weeks. The only fast food I've had in the last three months was a visit to Taco Bell where I had one regular beef taco, one bean burrito, and a potato burrito.

I don't eat white flour torrtilla's. 200 calories for the ones in tb burritos. I do eat a chicken cantina bowl pretty regularly(qdobas naked burrito bowls are a lot better), but that's the only taco bell I touch. You can request whole wheat buns at Arbys. Other than That the only fast food I eat is subway, quizznos, firehouse subs, and the healthy wrap place at the mall.

spazzxb
11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Just signed up for the drumstick dash thanksgiving at broad ripple. 30 pounds till my goal of 225. About 6 pounds from a triple digit loss(100). Also benching 180 4 sets of 12 now. Never earned the 200 bench teeshirt in high school.

jeffg-body
11-15-2012, 07:44 AM
I was doing pretty good recently until my daughter wound up in Riley Hospital last week and is expected to be there another 10-14 days. I have done some emotional eating and have provided a bad influence for my other daughter also been eating poorly when working. Hopefully my work hours decrease with people coming back from medical leave and the hiring of new people. I was very impressed with my daughter who is staying at multiple places while I work. She came to me last night and said that we needed to eat healthier. We are going grocery shopping tonight and we are going healthy. It was so cute to see my eight year old making a shopping list for today. She is wise beyond her years.

spazzxb
11-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Actually ran the entire 4.6 miles without walking at the Drumstick dash. Had never done more than 2 miles on the treadmill before. 49:40. Feet are sore, rested yesterday but got on the elliptical for half an hour today.

jeffg-body
11-25-2012, 02:36 AM
My daughter got out on Wednesday and I was so glad to have her home. The damage was done though, I weighed 10 pounds more since she had gone in. I am going to be working less hours, so that will be more opportunity to walk on the treadmill and eat better with my daughters. I have to call the VA and tell the nutritionist about my weight gain so I expect a butt chewing from her.

Natston
11-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Uhh... Starting to slowly find the weight that I have "lost", although its not surprising since I have been through some stress and heartache recently as well as some other factors that always hang around. I might have to go back to my subway diet before too long...

jeffg-body
11-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Well, I finally got in contact with my nutritionist from the VA and was surprised that she didn't chew me a new one for gaining 10 pounds in two weeks. She said since my daughter was in Riley for the past two weeks and that I had stress from having to work and care for my other daughter she expected weight gain for me. Not only did I gain 10 pounds, my daughter gained 6 pounds. I guess the not wanting to cook and eating out was way too often. Tonight she really impressed me though. She came to me to help make an exercise program for me and her to walk on the treadmill together, do some stretching, lift weights and stick to an 1800 calorie diet plan. I think with my reduced work hours this week we can get everything started and on the right track.

pacer4ever
12-14-2013, 05:12 PM
I just wanted to mention Ken Berger is doing a great series of Nutrition in the NBA. Part 1 is about the Lakers and how they feed their players. Great read and that is mainly whst I eat now after I changed my life style a few years ago. it is unorthodox compared to what some teach. I believe what they teach is really outdated. I agree Carbs, Bread and grains are terrible for your body not good for you like so many believe. I highy recommend reading the series even talks about Roy Hibberts diet. I really like what the Lakers are doing it is really good for your body imo

jeffg-body
12-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Well, I had gotten way up to 367 when I had to sit for five weeks not able to work for a knee injury. After that I was diagnosed with pneumonia when I went to get my release to work. I missed a week after that so they could do CT scans and send me to a pulmonary specialist up in Ft. Wayne. I have had pneumonia 3 times in the past year. They scheduled a bronchoscopy but never did it because the specialist asked about inhaling chemicals or asbestos. I was in the military and changing brakes that were 30-50 years old that had asbestos brake shoes. She said that she thinks it is just scar tissue but I have to do a CT scan every 2 months. My civilian doctor put me on a diet pill earlier this year. When I went in to see the doctor last week he was a little ticked because my weight was down to 347. He told me that he would give me one more 3 months supply of the Adipex. He also told me that if I did not lose at least 30 pounds in three months he won't give it to me anymore. He also said that he would prefer a 40-50 pound drop. After telling my nephew about this he became a savior because he was going to get a membership at a new gym in town. He asked me to be his workout buddy. So I went and got my membership and we start Monday. I think it will be the best 20$ a month bill that I have ever had. I weighed myself in clothes this morning and was 337 pounds. Now I just have to work my butt off.

travmil
12-20-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm starting up again after the first of the year. My weight is all the way back up to what I started at in this thread, around 330.

jeffg-body
12-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Just when I was about ready to throw in the towel, my nephew called me to tell me that a new gym opened up in town and he asked if I needed a workout buddy because he was getting a membership there. I went home and got mine too. Nice looking place for 20$ a month. The biggest thing that impressed me was the fact that during the week it is open 24 hours a day and on the weekends it is 7am-7pm. We are starting up Monday. He wants to work out three times a week and mainly with lifting weights. My plan is to go with him and do the weights with him and after we are done stay there and do my cardio stuff. I think I will at least do some cardio 4 days a week. I figure weekly weighing with their scale should tell me if I am on the right track. I would like to drop below 300 in 3 months so I can tell the doctor I am serious about wanting to get in better health. That is my immediate goal. My long term goal would be getting down to 215 within 2 years.

jeffg-body
12-25-2013, 03:21 AM
I went to go take a tour of the new gym that I am going to be using and was surprised that no one under 13 can come in and workout. I had my 9 year old daughter with me and she couldn't even go on a tour with me. I told them I would come back after Christmas and do a tour with one of my workout buddies. I still have my nephew and a guy I work with is getting a membership their too so on the nights that we work together closing the store (usually three times a week) we could go workout since it is open 24 hours on the week and 7-7 during the weekend. I am thinking that Thursday will be me starting toward of my goal of losing at least 30 pounds in three months, even though the doctor told me he would like to see 40-50 pounds off of me. My goal is 4 times a week for right now and increasing to 5 nights a week in a month or so. I know that my nephew is wanting to focus on free weights so I figure on those days I can do the weights using a lighter weight and more repetition. When he has to go at 9pm I will get some time in on the elliptical machine and exercise bike on my own.

travmil
01-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Stepped on the scale this morning and was shocked.

First weigh in of 2014,

338 lbs

Heaviest I've ever been and gained back every pound and then some from earlier in this thread.

My diet and calorie counting starts today.

indygeezer
01-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Hey all....medical problem here. Of course being 62 lbs don't help but I have sciatica down my left leg and partially the right too. Couple that with diabetic neuropathy and I have trouble sleeping. In fact, I now sleep on an ice pack under my hip and that helps some but I'm still waking up every couple of hrs. I cannot use a treadmill (Dr said NO!) because of the hip and worn out knee. So..........advice, please. (believe it or not, I called a chiropracter in Whiteland yesterday...he also practices acupuncture, I'm waiting to hear back from him).

jeffg-body
01-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Just weighed myself this morning and came in at 326. I haven't been able to get to the gym due to working but hopefully after the snow tomorrow subsides and everything gets cleared up I can get going and drop the weight off.

jeffg-body
01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Well, I was de-railed after going into the VA hospital for a little bit for pneumonia. My scale must be broken because they weighed me in at 346. After 2 days at the hospital I was down to 338. I went back yesterday and was 335 (dressed with a jacket and boots). I gotta eat low sodium and have to eat better. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

travmil
01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
I haven't lost any weight. I have started a light 25 minute jog every evening, have done a few out doors, but mostly at the gym so far. I can do the jogs without being too winded but it makes my left knee and both ankles hurt. Also began taking my dog on long walks which he absolutely loves. I've been counting my calories without much regard to restricting them. For the first 13 days of 2013 I'm coming in over 3300 calories each day so it's easy to see why I'm packing on weight lol. Today is when I'm going to take them down to 2500. Restrict furter each week until I'm down to between 1800-1900 daily and then maintain that.

jeffg-body
01-14-2014, 04:01 AM
It sounds like you have a plan to restrict your food intake and you are exercising which is both good. I am doing around 2500 calories right now and would like to get down to 2000 calories. But I am taking Adipex to help with the attempt at losing enough weight. It really curbs your appetite well. But when you first taking it the side effects can be tough at times. I will be starting up my workout plans with my nephew. He is looking to get larger and add muscle. I figure Friday if we just lift weights I will be ok. My goal to start cardio training in two weeks on Wednesday. My plan is to take it slowly and gradually increase my cardio. Then at the gym there is a 30 minute circuit training room working set times on each equipment. After that hit the massage chairs or massage bed.

jeffg-body
02-02-2014, 01:21 AM
This was a wash week for me only dropping 1/2 of a pound. I think me not taking my medicine 5 of the days and eating bad is what made it a stalemate. Being put on oxygen with a continuous flow is concerning for me and my right lung issue. I can not do any cardio but I can do strength training. My nephew and I will be starting it out Monday and hopefully after a few weeks I will be better enough to do some slow cardio and continue with strength training. Down to 324.2 pounds and I will take that and start next week with confidence.