PDA

View Full Version : Has Tinsley ever played a better game

Unclebuck
11-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Yes, I do remember his tripple double game his rookie season, but for my money tonight was the best game I have ever seen Tinsley play.

He was so efficient, he made the right pass everytime. How many times did he get the ball to Artest deep in the paint. For the first time ever I actually wanted Tinsley to shoot the ball when he was wide open late in regulation at the three pt line.

Tinsley controlled the whole game with his passing and playmaking.

Outstanding game

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 10:23 PM
:amen::amen::amen:

Outstanding Game for the Tinman

McKeyFan
11-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Stat of the night:
14 to 1 assist to turnover ration for Tins.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-03-2004, 10:35 PM
BOX SCORE (http://www.nba.com/games//20041103/INDCLE/boxscore.html)

Tins' Line: 5-13 FG (1-2 3PT), 4-4 FT, 15 PTS, 14 AST, 7 RB, 3 ST, 1 TO

WOW.

Merz
11-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Stat of the night:
14 to 1 assist to turnover ration for Tins.

:2tup::apple::bananadance::carrot::cucumber::dance ::dancingbavetta::gopacers:

thats the thing I noticed as well.
great game, Tinsley

ABADays
11-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Played like a smart vet tonight.

Ragnar
11-03-2004, 10:54 PM
He is probably the most heady player we have. He just seems to know when to make that back breaking play.

With the imminent retirement of Reggie it is really nice to see that there is a Pacer who is always cool when the game is on the line and has the guts to step up and make that big play.

I think we got a steal with his new contract.

McKeyFan
11-03-2004, 11:00 PM
I think we got a steal with his new contract.

I wonder if that was a factor in his excellent peformance. Depending on a person's character, a contract or non-contract could affect you differently.

Ragnar
11-03-2004, 11:05 PM
I dont think it was a factor. I think he is simply getting better as time goes on. This is his fourth year and he made great strides last year untill the injury.

I have no doubt IMO that had he not been injured we would have beaten Detroit.

Lord Helmet
11-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Great game for Tins.Give him the credit for most of Rons points.Well I guess Rons strength in the post helped a lot too.

Ragnar
11-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Not too much credit. Had those passes all been to Edwards I think the game would have ended sooner with a much worse result for us.

Anthem
11-04-2004, 12:19 AM
So... Tinsley will be at the top of the "assists per turnover" stat for a while, huh?

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I predicted on some obscure thread over the summer that Tinsley would be our second-best player this season.

Not intended to be a slam on Ron, though coming from me I'm sure some of you will see it that way - I just think Jamaal is on the verge of consistently being the PG we saw last night.

sweabs
11-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Great game by Tinsley - can't say much more.
I agree with UB - this has got to be the best game I've seen him play.

I was having a difficult time decing what jersey to wear today - Tinsley or Artest...they both played so well.

Dukins
11-04-2004, 10:22 AM
He needs to play like that once the others get back too. He played like he had to make up for Reg, JO and the scorers. He had a great all around game and played like he was a seasoned vet of 10 or more years. I especially like his dribble penetration all night. Keep up the good work Tin Man.:2tup:

Suaveness
11-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Keep in mind he won't get as many assists when JO is back, since JO tends to back down people and score in his own way.

waxman
11-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Great mature game from Tins..... proving he can play effectively for well over 30 mins per game and should.

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Keep in mind he won't get as many assists when JO is back, since JO tends to back down people and score in his own way.

You say that like its a bad thing? :confused:

Tinsley's control of the pace of the offense and defense is much more important than any numerical stat.

What's important is that Tinsley knows when to force-feed the ball to JO, and when to force-feed it to Ron, Jackson, etc.

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Tinsley Runs Show Almost to Perfection
Point guard has 14 assists and 1 turnover in 'brilliant' performance against Cavaliers.

By Sekou Smith
sekou.smith@indystar.com
November 4, 2004

CLEVELAND -- On opening night a year ago, Jamaal Tinsley was buried on the end of the Indiana Pacers' bench, stuck behind veterans Kenny Anderson and Anthony Johnson as the team's third point guard.

Tinsley was front and center for the Pacers on Wednesday night, having regained his starting position and his swagger in fantastic fashion as the Pacers opened the season with a 109-104 double-overtime win over the Cleveland Cavaliers at Gund Arena.

One of just two starters healthy enough to play, along with Ron Artest, Tinsley put on a point-guard show Artest called "brilliant."

Tinsley dished out 14 assists to just one turnover and grabbed seven rebounds while playing 45 minutes against Cleveland's loaded backcourt. All 15 of his points were crucial, too.

His 3-pointer with 29 seconds left in the first overtime assured the Pacers of a second overtime. He scored on a driving layup with 1:35 to play in the second overtime to tie the score at 102, then put it away with two free throws with 4.9 seconds left.

"What I've learned about Jamaal Tinsley since last January is that he's one of the smartest players I've ever been around for his age," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "He understands the game and he's a guy who has great observations and suggestions.

"Tonight he understood the type of game we needed to play. He orchestrated everything at the offensive end. For him to play the number of minutes he did and have one turnover and hit big shots and continue to find people was phenomenal."

Tinsley's floor management with a relatively unfamiliar cast of supporting players made his effort that much more impressive.

"When you're playing without as many starters as we are, you need to be able to dictate the tempo. Because of Jamaal, we did that for most of the game on both ends of the floor," Pacers associate coach Mike Brown said.

Demoted to the third spot in the point guard rotation at the end of training camp last season, Tinsley made just four appearances during the first 30 games. He spent some of that down time on the injured list but most of it in limbo because of a lack of communication with the new coaching staff.

But instead of pulling away from his teammates and coaches, as he did during the trying months in the spring of 2003 when his mother, Letris Smith, lost her battle with cancer, Tinsley made up his mind to fight back.

He started 43 of the last 50 games of the season. The Pacers went 34-9 with him in the starting lineup as they cruised to a league-best 61 wins.

It wasn't until he paused for a moment in the locker room after Wednesday night's game, however, that he finally reflected on his tumultuous journey from the cusp of stardom to the bench and back again.

"It's not about redemption or nothing like that for me. Sometimes there are situations that you just can't control in this league, and I learned that the hard way," said Tinsley, who recorded the 1,500th assist of his career in the first quarter. "I wasn't going to pout about it. I had to rededicate myself to getting back to playing at the elite level.

"I wanted to be a threat for this team in every way. I'm here to help us win games first. But there's a part of me that wants to prove to the world that I'm one of the best point guards in the NBA."

Pacers All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal, who has touted Tinsley all summer as the team's most improved player, is a believer.

"He's the heart and soul of this team," O'Neal said. "I don't want anybody to confuse Jamaal Tinsley. He makes everyone around him better. You can't say enough about what he does."

Call Star reporter Sekou Smith at (317) 444-6053.

Suaveness
11-04-2004, 01:33 PM

Tinsley's control of the pace of the offense and defense is much more important than any numerical stat.

What's important is that Tinsley knows when to force-feed the ball to JO, and when to force-feed it to Ron, Jackson, etc.

Oh not at all, I think Tins' value is much bigger than statistics..

ChicagoJ
11-04-2004, 01:43 PM

Oh not at all, I think Tins' value is much bigger than statistics..

Okay; I thought we agreed on that. When I read your comments I just couldn't remember.

Kegboy
11-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Oh, come on, everybody loves stats:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley/index.html?nav=page

Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(14.0)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Free-Throw Percentage(1.0)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(3.0)
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game(45.0)
Ranks #17 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(7.0)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists(14.0)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Steals(3.0)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists Per Turnover(14.0)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Steals Per Turnover(3.0)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Double-doubles(1.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(14.9)
Ranks #16 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(30.0)
Ranks #9 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(30.0)

I love the rebounds one. :laugh:
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Kegboy
11-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Speaking of statistical anomolies, David Harrison is leading all rookies in Steals per 48 minutes. :happydance:

http://www.nba.com/statistics/2004/default_regular_season_rookie_48_minute_leaders/RookieLeadersSTL8Query.html?topic=3&stat=10
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.