PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal for Kidd?

Hicks
02-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Would you , or wouldn't you?

dipperdunk
02-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Trading JO for Kidd would be just short of insane.

Will Galen
02-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I think I'm like most Pacer fans. I would onlt trade JO straight up for Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Shaq is injured to much.

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Hecksnaw

Kidd is much older...

Big men are harder to come by than point guards...

Kidd would give us direction, passing and leadership, but not the scoring, defensive post presence or the rebounding that JO brings...

It would leave our frontcourt very weak...

JO would come back to haunt us. ..

And of course, there must be a reason Kidd has been traded so many times...

indytoad
02-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I think I'm like most Pacer fans. I would onlt trade JO straight up for Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Shaq is injured to much.

I'd probably add Lebron to that list, but other than those three I agree, JO is untradeable.

IndyToad
Don't you walk through that door

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Now Jermaine for Yao and Mark Jackson is a trade I'd do. :D

Natston
02-09-2004, 08:15 PM

:unimpressed:

Anyway, polished big men are very hard to come by and I would want a big man in return if we traded JO...

Southside_Pacer
02-09-2004, 08:23 PM
No way I'd make this trade. JO is young, becoming a more complete player each day, and will overtime become the face of our franchise.

His ability on both the offensive and defensive ends makes him a complete package. It's great to have point guards, but big men are harder to come by.

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Anyway, polished big men are very hard to come by and I would want a big man in return if we traded JO...

This is why I'm on PacersDigest and Donnie and Larry are in Conseco Fieldhouse. :)

Natston
02-09-2004, 08:30 PM

This is why I'm on PacersDigest and Donnie and Larry are in Conseco Fieldhouse. :)

guessing by your avatar, you trade Jo for Mark Jax if the salaries matched... :D

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 08:32 PM

guessing by your avatar, you trade Jo for Mark Jax if the salaries matched... :D

Guessing by your avatar, you'd trade JO for Sammy Sosa if he played the same sport... :D

Natston
02-09-2004, 08:37 PM

Guessing by your avatar, you'd trade JO for Sammy Sosa if he played the same sport... :D

Guessing by my avatar, that is Will Ferrell doing an impersantion of Harry Caray (hence the sig). I hate baseball and I hate Sammy Sosa... :unimpressed:

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Guessing by my avatar, that is Will Ferrell doing an impersantion of Harry Caray (hence the sig). I hate baseball and I hate Sammy Sosa... :unimpressed:

It was just a guess.

Natston
02-09-2004, 08:44 PM

It was just a guess.

That's what you get for guessing... :rolleyes:

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 08:44 PM

It was just a guess.

No, I would not trade Jermaine for Jason Kidd.

Natston
02-09-2004, 08:47 PM

It was just a guess.

No, I would not trade Jermaine for Jason Kidd. :borg:

Suaveness
02-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Not in a million years.

Roaming Gnome
02-09-2004, 09:15 PM
:spitout: Hell No!!! :spitout:

Anyway, you NEVER trade big for small!!!

Has there ever been a trade giving up a big (PF or C) for a small that didn't look like one of the worst deals in NBA History. I also consider the Orlando Magic in this catagory along with the Milwaukee's of the world because they chose to resign Penny and let Shaq walk.

Slick Pinkham
02-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Anyway, you NEVER trade big for small!!!

Has there ever been a trade giving up a big (PF or C) for a small that didn't look like one of the worst deals in NBA History.

Well, in the early 80's the Pacers needed a backup center. Tom Owens was available. The Pacers traded a draft pick for him, and that draft pick COULD HAVE been used for a pretty successful small-- a guy named Jordan. Of course even had the Pacers kept that pick instead of sending it to Portland, they might have made the Blazer's mistake and take big (Sam Bowie) over small (MJ).

MSA2CF
02-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Well, in the early 80's the Pacers needed a backup center. Tom Owens was available. The Pacers traded a draft pick for him, and that draft pick COULD HAVE been used for a pretty successful small-- a guy named Jordan. Of course even had the Pacers kept that pick instead of sending it to Portland, they might have made the Blazer's mistake and take big (Sam Bowie) over small (MJ).

Technically, you have a point, but that's an entirely different situation.

Natston
02-09-2004, 09:55 PM
21/21 would not do that trade... :mango:

ABADays
02-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Not a chance in hell I would EVER do that!

Anthem
02-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Even besides the normal platitudes of big for small and young for old...

Think "loyalty to franchise." Think "not a coach-killer."

Besides, I've always liked Payton more than Kidd.

wintermute
02-10-2004, 07:00 AM
that deal would turn us into the nets. well, without the fastbreaks :D

no thanks for me. and for 100% of the posters who've voted so far.

grace
02-10-2004, 10:21 AM
I only voted for "I'm a Pacers fan and would not do this trade" because "no way in he!! in this lifetime or the next" wasn't an option.

ChicagoJ
02-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Who voted yes? Fess up and tell us why, please.

I promise not to throw the first darts. :D

MSA2CF
02-11-2004, 01:42 PM
i would trade him for lots of guys. garnett and duncan obviously ... lebron james pretty damn obviously too, kobe bryant if he gets out of the court business, tracy mcgrady probably.. allen iverson maybe... dirk nowitzski? would consider it.

Oh yeah I just remembered...You're from Brooklyn!

Garnett? Probably
Duncan? Probably
James? Never
Bryant? Never
McGrady? Never
Iverson? Never
Nowitzki? Never

My reasons
Garnett and Duncan are slightly better, more versatile and more consistent.
James, Bryant, McGrady and Iverson are all guards and you never trade big for small. (There are plenty of other reasons I would not trade for those men too.)
Nowitzki I'd pass on because of his lack of toughness and leadership.

Suaveness
02-11-2004, 07:34 PM
The funny thing is, there's isn't a huge gap in ability. JO is fully capable himself, and I would rather have JO than lebron. You do not trade big for small, it makes no sense. JO will have more of an impact than Lebron would on this team, and he poses more problems for people. We don't know how lebron is going to turn out, but we do know JO is good, real good. I would rather watch JO play than lebron...frankly, he is pretty damn exciting to watch.

How has he not proven himself better than the power forwards of the west? Every night JO gets it done, and he always does well against the west, too. Sorry, I don't see the logic in your argument.

MSA2CF
02-11-2004, 07:47 PM
...not trading jermaine for lebron would be seen as a huge huge huge huge mistake in the future...

When? How many true all-star guards are there in the Eastern Conference versus the number of true all-star big men in the East? I think JO is one of a few. LeBron will have to deal with those good guards for the next several years, while Jermaine has hardly anyone in his conference to matchup badly with.

...lebron vs jermaine? who would you rather watch - day in - day out - on your team?

To answer your question, I would rather watch Jermaine.

but the long term future would be much brighter and a hell of a lot more exciting.

Who is to say that big men dunking on big men isn't exciting or that hook shots or turnaround jumpers aren't exciting? I think that having Jermaine is as exciting as having a rookie who can dunk and pass (among other things).

sam bowie over mike jordan. who would you rather have?

I would rather have Michael Jordan at the present time. The Jermaine O'Neal/LeBron James thing is different. Sam Bowie wasn't the all-star Jermaine O'Neal is and LeBron James is not the greatest player of all-time.

tracy mcgrady or zach randolph?
Zach Randolph...more team-oriented.

...you are only choosing jermaine over these guys because of homerism - jermaine hasn't really proven himself to be any better than quite a few power players in the west.

Nope, I actually see that Jermaine is a force to be reckoned with and is deserving of his all-star selection. I don't even understand the part about the players in the west vs Jermaine. :confused:

if you put jermaine on atlanta... would they be in the playoffs?

I think they would, with the roster before the recent trade and after.

jermaine has had only minimal winning success in the past.

Not his fault...Look at his situation in Portland--He wasn't playing...Look who is coach has been here. :neutral:

...people are just over gloryfying him...he has never come when it really counted yet...

I could say the same thing about LeBron James.

he's a crybaby.

When did you start talking about Allen Iverson? :laugh:

If you have watched Jermaine much at all this season, you would see he has grown up and doesn't complain about calls much.

... jermaine ... i just don't like the guy much. obviously i want him to do well for the pacers sake. but i'm not a fan of him individually.

I understand that, but you still have to acknowledge his talent and playing ability. To tell the truth, I still don't like Jermaine and I never have, but with each passing game and each win he brings us, I am starting to like him more. The guy has class, which is hard to come by anymore in the NBA.