PDA

View Full Version : Paging Magnum Rolle

Pacers13Colts12
12-23-2011, 12:24 PM
David Aldridge @daldridgetnt

Hawks waive Sy, Rolle, Wanamaker. Sy was having a good camp but became expendable when ATL signed Jannero Pargo earlier in the week.

Wanted to be the first to get it going. :happydanc

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 12:26 PM
NO

12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.magnumpi.it/S1/images/1-2higgins.JPG

Don't forget his side-kick.

Trader Joe
12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe he can run the Pacers twitter account.

Justin Tyme
12-23-2011, 01:02 PM
WHY? The Pacers have JP & Lou.

D squared fan
12-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Puff puff PASS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

sportfireman
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
If Jeff P was healthier and Lou was taller I would pass. So with that being said sign him. Lou then could play smashmouth ball at the SF... Lou, Tyler and Jeff on the court at the same time, someones getting hurt. As far as size goes Roelle is 6'11 235lbs. Jeff P is 6'9 240. Lou 6'9 225.

Sign Roelle.... Lou plays back up SF sometimes keeping the black hole, out of position playing D. Jones off the floor as much.....Roster is 14.... Jeff P (who is hurt anyways) and AJ inactive. so I vote sign Magnum!!!!!!

I'm calling Larry right now.

Pacer Fan
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Let's think shooting guard instead!

Infinite MAN_force
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
NO

Really? You feel that strongly about who our 15nth man is?

He's 6-11, has some skills, and won't cost us hardly anything. Why not?

imbtyler
12-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I would give Rolle minutes at backup C. Our only backup center is Foster, and he's... old and stuff. He does a good job at what he does, but when he retires in the next year or so, who are we going to have to back up Roy? No one besides a draft pick or D-League player. Magnum can play at a league level, and he already has ties to the Pacers. Insert an "he could be on a Rolle" pun here.

BringJackBack
12-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Why would we do this?

mildlysane
12-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Why would we do this?
Are you kidding?! He is a former future Hall Of Famer!!!
:dance:

pacer4ever
12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
I watched both pre season games and he sucked they drafted Keith Benson who is almost the exact same player IMO. I wouldnt add Rolle he just flat out sucks.

imbtyler
12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Why would we do this?

Do you have a better back up in mind for Roy?

wintermute
12-23-2011, 04:39 PM
I watched both pre season games and he sucked they drafted Keith Benson who is almost the exact same player IMO. I wouldnt add Rolle he just flat out sucks.

Oddly, they just waived Benson. Saw Hicks RT it.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO

Hawks waive 2nd-round pick Keith Benson (No. 48 overall), a 6-11 center. Little bit of a surprise.

cdash
12-23-2011, 04:42 PM

Yeah, they are already on the roster: Jeff Foster, Lou Amundson, Jeff Pendergraph are all superior players.

cdash
12-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Why would we do this?

Because he has a cool name!

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 04:51 PM

Yes anybody else.

pacer4ever
12-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Oddly, they just waived Benson. Saw Hicks RT it.

im not surprised he sucked more than Rolle. I never though he would be an NBA player he is just too thin and not skilled enough.

If we are desperate for a C I would rather give Greg Smith a shot. He is only 20 he isn't NBA ready but being around Hibbert would only help him he needs help in the work ethic department. But if we are gonna get a project C he would be the guy I would pick not Rolle who isnt very good.

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Maybe because he is just not that good? man I can't wait until the day we stop talking about this guy.

D squared fan
12-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Would rather sign Ricky Davis than Rolle....I seen somewhere that Davis was still playing but in D-league and Greg Ostertag...wtf??? G.O. still playing????!!!

Peck
12-23-2011, 05:36 PM

The same question can be asked in reverse. Why does anybody care so strongly about a guy who will be nothing but 14th or 15th man.

It's pretty simple actually if he is good enough someone will pick him up, if he is not then off to the D league or Europe he will go.

Kemo
12-23-2011, 06:52 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Qazaaq0msA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Scot Pollard
12-23-2011, 06:56 PM
People only like him because his name is Magnum Rolle.

If it was John Smith, would people keep bringing him up? I think not.

Hicks
12-24-2011, 12:25 AM
This is all silly to me (the hubbub from both sides). I liked him because he seemed like a nice guy and I thought he looked 13th/14th/15th-man worthy to me during summer league and what college clips I could find. So for those reasons I would still welcome him in that role. Who cares either way beyond that?

dal9
12-24-2011, 12:49 AM

lol i think there is something to this...this year too, i think most people assumed jarrid famous iwould be the most likely camp invitee to make it just because he had the coolest name...

imbtyler
12-24-2011, 03:17 AM
West, Pendergraph, Hansbrough, and Amundson are all 6-9, Paul George is (reportedly) 6-10. If Foster hurts his back again, I don't feel terribly comfortable with these guys backing up Hibbert. Rolle is smashmouth, 6-11, and if nothing else, can be a body in the post as a 13-15th man, if necessary. We can't know until we try, essentially.

Also, yes, he has an awesome name. I would love to get a #25 "Rolle" jersey. He'd be more worthy of the #25 than Rush was. He'd be great off the pick and Rolle. Local restaurants could name a sandwich after him. He could start a safe sex campaign and encourage the use of condoms. Other name-related puns.

sportfireman
12-24-2011, 07:44 AM

I like him because the Pacers drafted him, he seemed to be a nice hard working guy. Got along good with the rest of the team, was not a trouble maker showed to have some useful skills and has good size. The name was a bonus.

EDIT: He also played his college ball in Louisiana, where I am from. So that's another reason for me.

mildlysane
12-24-2011, 11:40 AM
West, Pendergraph, Hansbrough, and Amundson are all 6-9, Paul George is (reportedly) 6-10. If Foster hurts his back again, I don't feel terribly comfortable with these guys backing up Hibbert. Rolle is smashmouth, 6-11, and if nothing else, can be a body in the post as a 13-15th man, if necessary. We can't know until we try, essentially.

Also, yes, he has an awesome name. I would love to get a #25 "Rolle" jersey. He'd be more worthy of the #25 than Rush was. He'd be great off the pick and Rolle. Local restaurants could name a sandwich after him. He could start a safe sex campaign and encourage the use of condoms. Other name-related puns.
In one ad, he could wear the number 44 and the ad would state, "Do you feel lucky?"

(Dirty Harry reference, for you youngsters)

Pacergeek
12-24-2011, 11:44 AM
We may as well bring back Solomon Jones. Jones beat out Rolle last year in camp

sportfireman
12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
We may as well bring back Solomon Jones. Jones beat out Rolle last year in camp

I think it was money and JOB liking vets that won Solo the job last year.... IMO.

imbtyler
12-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I think it was money and JOB liking vets that won Solo the job last year.... IMO.

:iagree:

Even suggesting bringing back Solo for any reason should be reason for temporary exile. Just like any player, if he doesn't get NBA minutes (as opposed to NBDL minutes), he's not going to learn to play in the NBA. That's how we discovered Solo was worth a rack of Spaldings and a 3rd round draft pick. I can't even possibly imagine Magnum, P.F. would be a worse player than Solo, on any level. And once again, if he is, he'll be cheap and only filling a 13-15th spot on the roster.

Peck
12-24-2011, 02:35 PM
:iagree:

Even suggesting bringing back Solo for any reason should be reason for temporary exile. Just like any player, if he doesn't get NBA minutes (as opposed to NBDL minutes), he's not going to learn to play in the NBA. That's how we discovered Solo was worth a rack of Spaldings and a 3rd round draft pick. I can't even possibly imagine Magnum, P.F. would be a worse player than Solo, on any level. And once again, if he is, he'll be cheap and only filling a 13-15th spot on the roster.

Do you know what the difference between Solomon Jones & Magnum Rolle is?

Solomon Jones has actually made both the Hawks & Pacers team. I know it's hard for some to accept but if you think that Solomon Jones is horrid, what does that make Rolle who has been cut by both teams.

cdash
12-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Solomon Jones has actually made both the Hawks & Pacers team. I know it's hard for some to accept but if you think that Solomon Jones is horrid, what does that make Rolle who has been cut by both teams.

I didn't see your spoiler at first, but I was going to say "NBA experience?"

speakout4
12-24-2011, 03:01 PM
We know a lot more about Jones' NBA abilities than Magnum's so perhaps after a season sitting on the bench seeing what he can or can't do we could say Magnum is really not worth it.

Right now we could use some help at center. Only Foster is big enough to help out but his back will be a problem, no doubt.

troyc11a
12-24-2011, 03:06 PM

If we are expecting MAgnum Rolle to come here and contribute in any way, this season is already over. C'mon, if he was any good at all he wouldnt have been released. Dude cant play - period. He just has a cool name.

speakout4
12-24-2011, 03:18 PM
If we are expecting MAgnum Rolle to come here and contribute in any way, this season is already over. C'mon, if he was any good at all he wouldnt have been released. Dude cant play - period. He just has a cool name.
Any team's season is over that significantly has to depend on their 14th and 15th guy but perhaps he as some ability that time and coaching can nurture. You carry guys for emergencies and future seasons.

Eleazar
12-24-2011, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't be mad if we signed him, but I also wouldn't really care if we didn't. There is nothing wrong with bringing him in as an end of the bench type player.

vnzla81
12-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Another reason I don't want the Pacers to get him is because I don't know how good he is at making passes behind the back, do we really want to take a chance on Seth falling in love with him? two dunks and one behind the back pass per game and that might do it, I am sorry but I don't want to take that risk again :-p

troyc11a
12-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Any team's season is over that significantly has to depend on their 14th and 15th guy but perhaps he as some ability that time and coaching can nurture. You carry guys for emergencies and future seasons.

Agreed! I just dont understand why some on here want the Pacers to pick up a guy who is not good enough to be our 14th or 15th man.

Infinite MAN_force
12-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Because he has a cool name!

Maybe people are talking about him because he's a former Pacers draft pick?

:whoknows:

I must have missed a meeting or something, when did Magnum Rolle become such a point of contention?

Infinite MAN_force
12-24-2011, 05:20 PM

In fairness, he was only cut here initially because he was hurt.

I fail to see the ridiculousness in discussing bringing in a former draft pick who only got cut here because of injury. Obviously the front office had interest at one time (or they wouldn't have picked him), Although we have better bigs, we are lacking in guys taller than 6-9. Another 6-11 guy might be useful at some point.

That's all I'm getting out of it. Who cares either way really? Don't really get where the hate is coming from.

BRushWithDeath
12-24-2011, 05:26 PM
In fairness, he was only cut here initially because he was hurt.

He was healthy when he was cut. He got hurt in the D-League.

He got cut initially because he isn't as good as Solomon Jones. And that means he shouldn't be brought back up ever again.

troyc11a
12-24-2011, 05:49 PM

He got cut initially because he isn't as good as Solomon Jones. And that means he shouldn't be brought back up ever again.

That's right! Thanks for reminding me of that. So instead of bringing back Magnum Rolle, we need to start a thread to bring back Solo. If the backup Center position is so weak, lets get someone already proven better than Magnum!! lol

Infinite MAN_force
12-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Hmm... I could have sworn he got cut in training camp because he got hurt. I do remember he looked promising in summer league, which is the main reason for my interest.

I could care less about his name, that's for sure.

EDIT: You were right, he was cut because we had no roster spots. Although reading through this thread (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=57582&highlight=magnum+rolle), it appears we had given him some sort of contract (mostly unguaranteed) and an attempt was made to make room for him. Point being, there was some interest there.