PDA

View Full Version : Vogel says offense was not a focus early on

McKeyFan
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Says Vogel:

"With only two weeks since we started, we don't have a lot of offense in, so we're growing in that area," Vogel said. "We've made some adjustments to our base defenses that will be with us more regularly than what we saw in training camp. Just trying to cover all the bases."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...signing-Pacers

I actually find this encouraging, because the offense did look pretty bad. And I like the idea of Vogel making defense the first priority. Hopefully, we will see some good things offensively over the next couple weeks.

Sparhawk
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
I feel bad for Vogel. He's be given a pretty tough situation. Came in during the season and couldn't really make a lot of changes on offense/defense. Then the lockout happened and further hampered his ability to really implement his style of play.

I think he'll be fine in the long run, but I just hope management gives him a fair chance.

He seems to keep his cool and say all the right things. I'm truly rooting for Vogel to succeed.

BlueNGold
12-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Vogel hasn't had a chance. His first chance to properly implement his system will be next year after the team has a summer league and full preseason. But I don't feel too sorry for him. The expectations should factor all of this in.

Kegboy
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM
His first chance to properly implement his system will be next year after the team has a summer league and full preseason.

Yeah, Vogel said as much in the last couple weeks. Hopefully they can get something worked on in the next few days, cause right now it looks terrible.

I'm excited to see some West PnR action, but I'm concerned how Danny's going to play. I know he always sucks in the preseason, but good points have been made about his inconsistency when he's not the focal point.

pizza guy
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't mind this. If we can play good defense, we'll have a chance in every game simply by default. The offense will work itself out, though it may take awhile to acclimate the new guys. Start with defense, and build from there. Good plan.

Sparhawk
12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't mind this. If we can play good defense, we'll have a chance in every game simply by default. The offense will work itself out, though it may take awhile to acclimate the new guys. Start with defense, and build from there. Good plan.

Have to agree. I love defensive minded teams. Shut down the opponent and you have a great chance of winning.

12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
NBA teams have a playbook for offense?

http://troll.me/images/red-foreman322/dont-you-get-it-youve-been-trolled.jpg

A.B.Hollywood
12-23-2011, 11:24 PM

And this would be even better if we had that component that can create their own shot. This way even if the offense is out of sync early we have that dynamic type of offensive player that can break a D down and salvage us during those dry spurts.

But of course, we don't have that. Not unless Lance or PG make major strides and NOW.

PGisthefuture
12-24-2011, 01:35 AM
And this would be even better if we had that component that can create their own shot. This way even if the offense is out of sync early we have that dynamic type of offensive player that can break a D down and salvage us during those dry spurts.

But of course, we don't have that. Not unless Lance or PG make major strides and NOW.

Danny and D-West are completely capable. If not them then Tyler has the ability as well.

vnzla81
12-24-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm ok with anything as long as they don't put too much focus on shooting threes and stretching the floor.

CableKC
12-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Offense is the last thing that I have to worry about when it comes to this Team. I want our defense to have a really good defense.

McKeyFan
12-24-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm ok with anything as long as they don't put too much focus on shooting threes and stretching the floor.

I hate to tell you this, but the first practice Vogel showed the guys how to dye all their hair but the sideburns.

BillS
12-24-2011, 09:20 AM

This Is the rhetoric you always hear, but I don't completely agree. If you can hold a team to 35% shooting that's a pretty good defense, but if you can't shoot 33% you aren't going to beat anyone.

Not to mention that if your opponent doesn't have to work very hard on defense you've made it even harder to defend them.

ksuttonjr76
12-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Good to hear. Honestly, I'm really not the concern about the offense either. They had some good shot selection (minus the chucking from Granger) in the preseason games. The shots just didn't fall. I remember in a game thread how someone mentioned that a lot of the shots were cylindering out.

IMHO, Vogel needs to make each individual player HIT 200-500 shots before they can leave practice for the next couple of days/weeks to improve their shooting percentages. Before anyone makes the comment, I would make them shoot their "expected" shot. Hibbert - 500 hook shots, Granger - 250 3's, 250 MID, George - 100 3's, 400 MID, D. Jones - 250 dunks, etc.

15th parallel
12-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Based from the past 3 games, the current tactic of working more on defense than on offense seems working for the first 3 games. While the first opponents are not that strong, the Pacers have beat them through scrappy play, all without an FG of more than 40%. While I hope they can improve their offense as the season goes on, I am hoping more that they don't stop or slow down on their defensive intensity.