PDA

View Full Version : Amundson

McKeyFan
12-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I thought we would see a little bit of him in the last preseason game. Was he even dressed?

Do you think he will get some minutes in our first game against Detroit?

Pacerized
12-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I'll just think of him as Solo light. If he sees any minutes it'll be in garbage time.

Freddie fan
12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I think he arrived in Indy just the day before the last preseason game, if I remember correctly, and that's the reason the didn't play him in that game.

I think he's definitely a better player than Solo - higher motor as they say in football - and will play quite a bit more, particularly with the Pacers wanting to limit Foster's minutes early in the season.

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20111223/SPORTS04/112230349/West-defends-signing-Pacers

"With only two weeks since we started, we don't have a lot of offense in, so we're growing in that area," Vogel said. "We've made some adjustments to our base defenses that will be with us more regularly than what we saw in training camp. Just trying to cover all the bases."

Amundson, acquired from Golden State earlier this week, practiced for the first time Thursday. The forward, who is wearing Mike Dunleavy's old No. 17 jersey, had to wait until the Pacers exchanged physical records with the Warriors.

McKeyFan
12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20111223/SPORTS04/112230349/West-defends-signing-Pacers

Thanks. Good catch. I found the first paragraph even more interesting and started a new thread with it.

bigdaddy19
12-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I'll just think of him as Solo light. If he sees any minutes it'll be in garbage time.

I can only imagine by light you mean he has lighter toned skin, because there is no way he is worse than Solo.

Solo was weak and unagressive, Amundson is all hustle and grit.

DEEman
12-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I guess we have this guy just in case one of our bigs gets injured and we can give Amundson some minutes. This way we have an insurence that Foster doesnt have to play major minutes.

troyc11a
12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I can only imagine by light you mean he has lighter toned skin, because there is no way he is worse than Solo.

Solo was weak and unagressive, Amundson is all hustle and grit.

He is Tyler minus the double-double!
I bet he gets more than garbage time. Especially if West gets time at center.
With Amundson and Tyler getting time at the 4, opposing teams with be hurting and in foul trouble. Power Forwards will not enjoy seeing Indiana on the court!!!!

jeffg-body
12-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I think he will get some minutes, but just not much at this time. I don't see him as a newer version of Solo, but rather as Foster 2.0

troyc11a
12-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I think he will get some minutes, but just not much at this time. I don't see him as a newer version of Solo, but rather as Foster 2.0

Solo comparisions dont make much sense. Foster 2.0 does. Even though he is a little tougher and more athletic then Jeff.

PGisthefuture
12-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Some people on here obviously haven't watched Amundson play... he was one of the key guys off the bench for the Suns when they went to the WCF.

Peck
12-23-2011, 01:43 PM
It totally depends on which Lou we get.

If we get the injured Lou from G.S. who either lost a step or had nagging issues then he will be a one & done player here who will see little to no time on the floor.

If we get the Lou who played for the Suns then you are looking at a player who will play 12-15 min. every night and some nights more.

My dream is to see him & Tyler on the floor at the same time, however I am also aware that sometimes when you have two dynamic forces at the same time in the same area they can sometimes cancel each other out.

So, I guess my answer (as weak as it is) is that we'll see.

BlueNGold
12-23-2011, 01:50 PM
He is Tyler minus the double-double!
I bet he gets more than garbage time. Especially if West gets time at center.
With Amundson and Tyler getting time at the 4, opposing teams with be hurting and in foul trouble. Power Forwards will not enjoy seeing Indiana on the court!!!!

He is more physical on D than Tyler. He's like the defensive version of Tyler on offense because he's all effort and energy. I think JO went crying home to mama when Amundson whipped him.

So, Foster 2.0 is a good comparison...but he's a tad bit more mobile and a tad bit more annoying. It will be a good time watching him. He's also like a smaller version of Joakim Noah or Anderson Varejao. He will help our team's defensive intensity on the interior.

BlueNGold
12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
It totally depends on which Lou we get.

If we get the injured Lou from G.S. who either lost a step or had nagging issues then he will be a one & done player here who will see little to no time on the floor.

If we get the Lou who played for the Suns then you are looking at a player who will play 12-15 min. every night and some nights more.

My dream is to see him & Tyler on the floor at the same time, however I am also aware that sometimes when you have two dynamic forces at the same time in the same area they can sometimes cancel each other out.

So, I guess my answer (as weak as it is) is that we'll see.

I hope G.S. just didn't know how to use him properly. If he's healthy, I'm sure he will be helpful.

Also, the Tyler / Lou combo has been something I've wanted to see as well. Two extremely high motor guys on the floor at the same time. I can see fast break dunks by Tyler. Imagine those guys being your bigs coming off the bench against the scrubs that many teams have. It would be complete domination because they never stop going 100%.

Hicks
12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Granted I haven't seen a ton of clips, but I've seen more than a few on Synergy and I thought Lou looked decent with the Warriors, at least in the pieces that I caught a glimpse. Maybe he looked bad overall, but he certainly didn't strike me as 'broken down' or anything to that effect.

So from what I saw and from reading him say back in September that this year he's healthy and last year he wasn't, plus the fact that he's not old, I'm expecting something more like we saw in Phoenix.

bigdaddy19
12-23-2011, 03:32 PM
After the trade for Amundson happened, I looked up some pre draft measurements. I knew who he was, but not as well as I thought. Amundson has a no step vert of 32" and a max vert of 35.5" both very respectable. Combine his vert with his almost 7' wingspan (6' 11.5") and I can see him as a very capable shot blocker. He also had 14 reps on bench press, not spectacular but good. For reference Derrick Favors 14 reps, Kenneth Faried 16 reps, Tyler 18 reps, Blake Griffin 22 reps, Joey Graham 26 reps (wow).
I have seen unathletic thrown around in some other threads when discussing Amundson, I think he more athletic than some think.

Major Cold
12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I just hope our guys can respect his bike better than Shaq did:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sdlvUiSpNT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bigdaddy19
12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
He is more physical on D than Tyler. He's like the defensive version of Tyler on offense because he's all effort and energy. I think JO went crying home to mama when Amundson whipped him.

So, Foster 2.0 is a good comparison...but he's a tad bit more mobile and a tad bit more annoying. It will be a good time watching him. He's also like a smaller version of Joakim Noah or Anderson Varejao. He will help our team's defensive intensity on the interior.

Very good comparison, I want to see Amundson on the floor to get a better idea on his play.

Doug
12-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Solo comparisions dont make much sense. Foster 2.0 does. Even though he is ... more athletic then Jeff.

Jeff was pretty athletic "back in the day"...

http://www.memoram.com/Forest_whiteManCanJump.jpg

Phree Refill
12-23-2011, 11:59 PM

Jeff is very aware of this picture. During a lockeroom tour I went on in 2010, Jeff's locker had this picture posted on it. I got a good chuckle out of it.

Deadshot
12-24-2011, 12:06 AM
If nothing else, bench Foster against the Magic and put Lou on Dwight (or whatever team Dwight is on at that point). Dwight alone has caused Jeff to miss a pretty hefty amount of games over the last 2-3 seasons.

Hicks
12-24-2011, 12:09 AM
If nothing else, bench Foster against the Magic and put Lou on Dwight (or whatever team Dwight is on at that point). Dwight alone has caused Jeff to miss a pretty hefty amount of games over the last 2-3 seasons.

Whichever way you go (Lou on Dwight or Jeff on Dwight) it will be brutal, but yeah at least with Lou, Jeff won't hurt his back sitting on the bench watching Amundson get owned. ;)

Deadshot
12-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Whichever way you go (Lou on Dwight or Jeff on Dwight) it will be brutal, but yeah at least with Lou, Jeff won't hurt his back sitting on the bench watching Amundson get owned. ;)

Right, he essentially becomes Scot Pollard.

BlueNGold
12-24-2011, 12:26 AM
I might have seen Amundson at his best in the 2 or 3 times I've seen him play. My impression is that he was one tough and physical guy for looking rather thin. He does have some guns on him...but nothing huge.

Kind of the antithesis to a Troy Murphy. Let's just say Lou is no matador. He may give up an And-One...but you will need to earn it and might end up in traction.

Pacerized
12-24-2011, 12:48 AM
I hope I'm wrong but I think Amundson will be this years version of Magnum Roll. I know Magnum didn't really play for us last year after his injury but at this point he had a lot of people thinking he was going to be an impact player. It seems like we have some underdog player or second rounder every year like this. The big difference is that Amundson has already been in the league for 5 years. After that time he's managed to merit 15 minutes of play for the bad Warriors team where he averaged 4 points and 4 boards. Even if you through out the fact that he was injured these are averages over 46 games and he didn't do any better then that the prior 2 years with the Suns. I don't think it's realistic to expect anything of him other then salary relief at the end of the season, otherwise he would have done something by now.
I honestly don't recall watching him play though. Some of you must watch a lot of other teams play to know what he brings. The warriors aren't really televised very much and he didn't play much for them.
I really hope Jeff and Roy can stay healthy all year, but I think we still need to find another big man. If Amundson finds minutes, I hope he can play a little at the 3. I don't want a backup center that small. I don't care how much he hussles, 6'9" and 225 lbs is not Jeff Foster, and even Foster is more of a 4/5 as opposed to a center.

xBulletproof
12-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Pacerized -

You're entirely too hung up on size and it's relation to position. Amundson can in no way play SF. He plays much larger than his size. The difference between people liking Amundson vs people liking Magnum Rolle, is that we've actually seen Lou play in the actual NBA. It's not based on his cool tweets and play in a Summer League that's a glorified pickup game.

BlueNGold
12-24-2011, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't think much of Lou simply by looking at his size on paper either. But he plays bigger than his listed size. He is no Dennis Rodman, but I know he's guarded JO and roughed him up. Also, if he had Zach Randolph ticked, he's probably at least a good backup in terms of guarding the post. BTW, that's where I saw him perform well. Guarding the post because he's constantly taking and giving back contact.

Edit: Just for comparison, I am certain he is scrappier and more physical than Josh McRoberts. Maybe that's not saying much, but at least you know the guy is no Troy Murphy. I suspect he's a better post defender than Tyler and probably not quite as good as a young Jeff Foster.

Edit2: One other thing I like. That pony tail is annoying. I can't wait to see him and Tyler run wild out there...

Pacerized
12-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Pacerized -

You're entirely too hung up on size and it's relation to position. Amundson can in no way play SF. He plays much larger than his size. The difference between people liking Amundson vs people liking Magnum Rolle, is that we've actually seen Lou play in the actual NBA. It's not based on his cool tweets and play in a Summer League that's a glorified pickup game.

I'm not going to pretend to know his game, but at some point size makes a difference, you can't think it means nothing. I think when you're 6'9 and 225 lbs. and trying to play center in the NBA, you're past that point. I can't think of any player that small that I would want playing center. I'll have to see if I get a chance to watch him play though.

CableKC
12-24-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm not going to pretend to know his game, but at some point size makes a difference, you can't think it means nothing. I think when you're 6'9 and 225 lbs. and trying to play center in the NBA, you're past that point. I can't think of any player that small that I would want playing center. I'll have to see if I get a chance to watch him play though.
Chuck Hayes?

Peck
12-24-2011, 02:13 AM

A few things.

1. When you say size I acutally assume you mean height. You can't teach height however height alone does not make you a player.

2. 6'9" is small for a starting center in the NBA, I'll give you that. However Lou is not being brought here to be a starting center, he is a rotational backup and he will be going up against players of similar size, strength and length. Some will be bigger however some will not be as big.

3. Magnum Rolle never EVER played a regular season game for the Pacers. He injured his knee playing for Maine of the D league because we cut him from our camp. The only people really high on him were those who for whatever reason began to follow him on twitter and watched a few min. of summer league games. What is the difference between Magnum Rolle & Solomon Jones? Solomon Jones has actually made two NBA teams, in fact the two teams that have cut Rolle.

Don't let stats fool you btw, Troy Murphy avg. a double double here and for most of his career. That should tell you almost everything you ever need to know about stat avg.

PGisthefuture
12-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Jeff Foster plays good defense, but doesn't really block shots. I think that's the difference between Lou and Jeff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XSP9rgIqA&feature=fvst

tadscout
12-24-2011, 02:16 AM
I can't think of any player that small that I would want playing center.

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d15/unsecured/media/245991542/245991542_931054834001_ari-origin07-arc-556-1304539743861.jpg?pubId=245991542

Not any wear near the same level as players... but Amundson is the same size.

Russell was able to guard a 7'1 Wilt...

greengirl33
12-24-2011, 02:37 AM
http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d15/unsecured/media/245991542/245991542_931054834001_ari-origin07-arc-556-1304539743861.jpg?pubId=245991542

This is a great example. I'm actually thinking of Dave Cowens, who was 6'8" (shorter than Russell) and went up against the likes of Kareem (who was also over 7") and was very successful at it.

It's not that height's not important, but a lot needs to be said for skills and attitude.

Eddie Gill
12-24-2011, 04:00 AM
FWIW Simmons seemed to think Amundson will be a great addition in his NBA preview podcast. I haven't seen much of him at all, but by all accounts seems to be a blue-collar, high-energy guy - which would seem to fit with the direction we're heading.

McKeyFan
12-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Would love to see that pony tail come off.

Major Cold
12-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I can't think of any player that small that I would want playing center.

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/09/Ben-Wallace-Detroit-Pistons.jpg

-I will choke slam you punk!!!!!

Pacerized
12-24-2011, 10:17 AM
O.K., there are exceptions in the history of the NBA, but size matters a great deal. Charles Barkley was a great power forward, and Russell was a great center. These are called exceptions for a reason. I can't think a single current player that I would want playing center for us who is as small as Amundson, and sorry I wouldn't want Hayes either. It's not like he's a 6'9" version of Barkley, he's a small 6'9". If Amundson were an exception like Barkley we wouldn't be trading Rush for him and he would have carved a bigger role in the NBA by now. I don't expect much from him but if he proves me wrong I'll be happy.

BlueNGold
12-24-2011, 10:51 AM
He's no Russell, Barkley or Dennis Rodman...but he is basically Foster 2.0 with pony tail in tow. He's probably not the rebounder a young Jeff Foster is. He's not as big as Jeff, but he may be a bit tougher for his size.

In any event, when Jeff sees him play he'll say: "That's good azz defense for a backup".

Ownagedood
12-24-2011, 11:09 AM

PHOTOSHOP!!!! Haha jk. That's awesome tho.

Ownagedood
12-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Can't make fun of Noah anymore... :mad:

...Well, not for being a girl at least.

mildlysane
12-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Can't wait til they get into their first catfight and start pulling each other's hair!

BlueNGold
12-24-2011, 11:52 AM

I hope he grows it longer. He may turn into a fan favorite in Indy just as Noah probably would. I know that's blasphemy...;)

Justin Tyme
12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't want a backup center that small. I don't care how much he hussles, 6'9" and 225 lbs

It's not how big the dog in the fight is, it's how big the fight in the dog is. Pitbulls aren't the largest breed of dog, but they can more than hold their own against larger opponents. ( I'm using this as an anology only as I detest dog fighting.)

Don't forget Anthony Davis was 6'9". How big is Chuck Hayes?

Justin Tyme
12-24-2011, 12:27 PM

I love the picture!

I'm not trying to take away from Russell, but he never played against the size Centers that came later to the NBA. I remember when Wilt the Stilt signed with the Philly Warriors. He was the 1st modern day 7' player. Even after that, there wasn't many 7'. I can remember when there were only 3-7' playing in the NBA. The league has grown size wise, both in the amount of teams and physical structure of the players.

At 6'9", Russell gave Wilt all he could handle. Classic battles between the 2 over the years.

McKeyFan
12-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Mike Miller's ponytail also looked pretty weak.

xBulletproof
12-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Joakim Noah is only 6'11 and 225. Chris Anderson of Denver is 6'10 and 225. Theo Ratliff is 6'10 and 235.

Those are guys I could just think of off the top of my head. It's all about how big you play, not how big you are.

McKeyFan
12-24-2011, 02:22 PM
It's all about how big you play, not how big you are.

As we all know too well.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X0OxvHHwuBY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

xBulletproof
12-24-2011, 02:25 PM
McKey Fan ... I think you mean as we should know, because some don't see it that way .... either way I'll see your Gerald Wallace, and raise you Derrick Rose .....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hfjJUjL_QG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tom White
12-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Mike Miller's ponytail also looked pretty weak.

As did his girly headband.

Deadshot
12-25-2011, 11:39 AM
There's also a big difference between an on-ball block and a help defense block, even though they both show up the same on the stat sheet.

Phree Refill
12-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Brain Grant was listed generously at 6' 9" and he came into the league as a small forward. By the end of his career he was playing center and was a bruiser at 245lbs. I doubt Lou puts on another 20 pounds but I have zero worries he can hold his own at C, especially against back up C's.