PDA

View Full Version : Hansbrough getting some ESPN love...

docpaul
12-22-2011, 10:58 PM
He received two votes for "Most Improved" this year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2011/story/_/page/Predictions1112-MIP/nba-most-improved-player-predictions

and one vote for "Sixth Man":

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2011/story/_/page/Predictions1112-Sixth/nba-sixth-man-year-predictions

They must have been watching the same preseason games I watched. :) Found it funny that the writer for ESPN Chicago was one of the MIP voters.

He's certainly going to be exciting to watch. About the only thing that seems to stand in the way of a breakout year for him at this point is if he gets wacked in the noggin again / sustains an injury.

In many ways, I worry about Hansbrough in the same way I worried about Sanders for the Colts. Their style of play is exciting, but seems inherently unsustainable. Let's hope Tyler's outcome proves to be different than Sanders'.

vnzla81
12-22-2011, 11:11 PM
How some people expect Boozer to be most improved? Some people are voting from their :censored:

PGisthefuture
12-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I think Tyler could easily win one of these awards.

docpaul
12-22-2011, 11:14 PM
I should have looked more carefully.

Additionally, our good friend Frank Vogel got two nominations for Coach of the Year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2011/story/_/page/Predictions1112-COY/nba-coach-year-predictions

Good for him.

BlueNGold
12-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I think Tyler has exceeded everyone's expectations. Many thought his ceiling was tapped out but he's improved far more than many players who supposedly had potential. I am looking forward to how he plays this season because I believe he's now ready to show what he can do.

Most interesting to me is that when he first started playing, anyone on the court could block his shot. Now, Noah, one of the better defensive centers in the NBA can't even stop him. He's clearly made adjustments!

Anthem
12-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Kthey haven't even started playing the games yet... How are people voting?

Lance George
12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Kthey haven't even started playing the games yet... How are people voting?

Note the word "predictions" at the ends of the URLs. :p

PGisthefuture
12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Do you guys realistically think Hansbrough could be an All-Star? :confused:

Pacergeek
12-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Without a doubt, yes. Boozer has been an all star and Tyler is better

BlueNGold
12-23-2011, 12:05 AM

Could? Sure. He will never be a top tier superstar or anything, but I think he could make an all-star team if things come together for him. Yes, I think it's possible just like Boozer and Brad Miller.

Kemo
12-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Hans has enough nationwide recognition from his days at UNC to make the all star team multiple times .... IF ... his basketball playing dictates it...

pezasied182
12-23-2011, 12:30 AM
If Hans averages 20 points and 12 rebounds a game like he did in the preseason, he'll get an all-star bid. Granted, he isn't doing that, but has the potential to one day.

I don't see him making an all-star game anytime soon, you'd have to figure LeBron, Bosh, Josh Smith, Amare, Pierce, and Carmelo are well above him in the pecking order and he doesn't really have much of a chance to pass one of them unless he has an amazing season. Look at what happened to LaMarcus Aldridge last season.

Infinite MAN_force
12-23-2011, 12:41 AM
If Hans averages 20 points and 12 rebounds a game like he did in the preseason

Whoa, slow down sparky. Two games, identical match up.

People need to slow down a bit with the Hansbrough thing, that said, I don't think its unrealistic to say he could be in the conversation for 6th man of the year. I also don't think its unrealistic to say he might snag an all star appearance at some point in his career. I've been impressed with him thus far, he appears to have taken a few strides in some of his weaker areas.

That said, people are reading way too much into two preseason games.

pezasied182
12-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Whoa, slow down sparky. Two games, identical match up.

People need to slow down a bit with the Hansbrough thing, that said, I don't think its unrealistic to say he could be in the conversation for 6th man of the year. I also don't think its unrealistic to say he might snag an all star appearance at some point in his career. I've been impressed with him thus far, he appears to have taken a few strides in some of his weaker areas.

That said, people are reading way too much into two preseason games.

I know, I said that wasn't going to happen, just that is what he would need to do to be considered for an all-star game.

Lance George
12-23-2011, 01:05 AM
I think the 20 points is well within Hansbrough's reach, but he's never really been an elite rebounder, not even in college, so the 12 rebounds is a bit much.

If what he showed us the second-half of last season was the real Hansbrough ( I believe it was, and that he'll be even better this season), then I think he could very realistically be a 20 & 9 guy in the not-too-distant future.

PR07
12-23-2011, 02:35 AM
If David West can be an all-star, why can't Tyler?

Indra
12-23-2011, 02:52 AM
I understand that people shouldn't get too excited about two preseason games, but Hansbrough improved a lot last year, and had two excellent games against a very good defensive team and the #1 seed last year. There is something to be said about his performance in the preseason.

pacer4ever
12-23-2011, 04:26 AM
I understand that people shouldn't get too excited about two preseason games, but Hansbrough improved a lot last year, and had two excellent games against a very good defensive team and the #1 seed last year. There is something to be said about his performance in the preseason.

Carlos Boozer was guarding him. Or should I say standing near him.(that is about the extent of Boozers defense. Boozer did play well on offense in game 2 though)

yoadknux
12-23-2011, 05:21 AM
If West is healthy and in shape, then best case for Tyler would be 14/7 or something, should he get around ~25 mins per game.
If he gets starter minutes, then no, of course he won't do ~20 ppg / ~ 9-10 rebounds, come on guys, if he were that good we would have just started him instead of spending big money on West, lol
These 2 games mean nothing. we've seen this Tyler last year too, haven't we? But he & Hibbert were our 2 most inconsistent players. Sometimes Tyler would go like 8-14 with his shots and sometimes 2-14.

bphil
12-23-2011, 08:36 AM
How some people expect Boozer to be most improved? Some people are voting from their :censored:

They were probably thinking there's a good chance he'll have his face improved by Tyler's elbows.

pizza guy
12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
WEIGHT ROOM!

naptownmenace
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
WEIGHT ROOM!

:laugh:

I think we'll end up seeing a lot of Tyler and West playing side-by-side this season. I think Roy will have nights where he struggles with foul trouble. He still doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from the refs and he's slow at rotating back on Pick-n-Roll plays.

If so, I think Tyler could could cover the Center on Defense with West covering the PF. There's only a handful of Centers that can score in the NBA so I think Tyler's defensive liabilities (lack of length and size) will be less of an issue when guarding the plethora of unathletic centers in the league.

12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Hansbrough will be a solid power forward in a few years. He still has a lot of work to do. That is not to say he is anything less than a beast now, but he could be a top 10 forward in a handful of years. Too many fans discount the type of mentor David West could be to Tyler Hansbrough. David West is 6'9'' 245 pounds and Tyler Hansbrough is 6'9'' 250 pounds. Neither player is known for length or elevation, but both are re-nouned for gritty, smart play. For two seasons, David West could polish the diamond in the rough that is Tyler Hansbrough. Perhaps we should look deeper into David West's role.

able
12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
We should bookmark this thread and all the other tyler threads, and bring them out in the not to distant future.

talking about expectations preceeding the disaster

xBulletproof
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
We should bookmark this thread and all the other tyler threads, and bring them out in the not to distant future.

If you're calling Tylers season a disaster, then you're as far off as guys putting him in the Hall of Fame. If you're calling their expectations that will come crashing down, a disaster, well you're probably right. :laugh:

12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I think Hansbrough will be the caliber of Antonio Davis. That's not to say he will be just like Antonio, but that he will be a fringe all-star one day.

able
12-23-2011, 12:01 PM
If you're calling their expectations that will come crashing down, a disaster, well you're probably right. :laugh:

this

BlueNGold
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM

This is the same talk we heard in his draft thread. Expectations were that he might be a good backup PF. Dude plays like a maniac out there and still cannot get any respect.

I suppose I'm reserving judgment until March or so, but if he's playing 75% this good during the regular season, he's proven everything he needs to prove...

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 03:21 PM
This is the same talk we heard in his draft thread. Expectations were that he might be a good backup PF. Dude plays like a maniac out there and still cannot get any respect.

I suppose I'm reserving judgment until March or so, but if he's playing 75% this good during the regular season, he's proven everything he needs to prove...

Able just hates him because he doesn't make passes behind the back like Mcbob.

Shade
12-23-2011, 03:27 PM
If Tyler continues to play the way he has, and West stays healthy, our major position of weakness entering the post-season will now be a position of strength.

Shade
12-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Able just hates him because he doesn't make passes behind the back like Mcbob.

Josh McRoberts may well be the most overrated Pacer ever.

You'd think he's Javaris Crittenton or something. :-p

naptownmenace
12-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Maybe we should bring up some of your pro Jamaal Tinsley posts/threads from a few years ago.

;)