PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Suns Waive Mickael Pietrus

Lance George
12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
ESPN.com: Sources -- Phoenix Suns waive swingman Mickael Pietrus (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7381429/sources-phoenix-suns-waive-swingman-mickael-pietrus)

The Phoenix Suns (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/phx/phoenix-suns) have waived veteran swingman Mickael Pietrus (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2173/mickael-pietrus), according to sources with knowledge of the Suns' decision.

The move has not yet been formally announced, but sources said Pietrus' name appears on a list of players released Thursday that has been circulated to all 30 teams.

If Pietrus clears waivers 48 hours from the official time of his release, he'll become an unrestricted free agent.

Pietrus was actually traded to the Toronto Raptors (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/tor/toronto-raptors) earlier this month for a conditional second-round pick, but the Raptors rescinded the trade after Pietrus' troublesome right knee was flagged by the Raptors during his physical.

The trade also called for the Suns to pay $1 million to Toronto and left little doubt that Pietrus -- acquired from Orlando as part of the December deal to acquire center Marcin Gortat (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2758/marcin-gortat) and create some salary-cap flexibility for the summer of 2012 -- no longer has a future in Phoenix.

The Suns made the move despite Pietrus possessing a guaranteed salary of $5.3 million salary this season.

The only other veteran player of note on the league-issued list of players released Thursday, sources said, is Miami center Zydrunas Ilgauskas (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/362/zydrunas-ilgauskas), who had already announced his intention to retire after one season with the Heat.

Other players with NBA experience waived Thursday as teams pare down their rosters in advance of Sunday's start to the 2011-12 season include Boston's Michael Sweetney (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2175/michael-sweetney), Cleveland's Manny Harris (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4360/manny-harris) and the Los Angeles Lakers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers)' Gerald Green (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2761/gerald-green)/

ksuttonjr76
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Go get him Indiana! Please don't leave us with D. Jones as the backup SF!

vnzla81
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Good shooter and good defender I would love to bring him here if he is healthy.

D-BONE
12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Don't think he's that good of a shooter. Streaky shooter perhaps.

D-BONE
12-22-2011, 07:52 PM
39%/64% last year.

Will give you he tries on D, but don't think he's any better than DJ there.

Anthem
12-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Would be nice to pick somebody up who can make such good kabobs. Our whole team could feast on them.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 07:57 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C7_hljvCb8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:signit:

Hoop
12-22-2011, 07:58 PM
This guy has always been overrated on the PD, IMO. I don't think he's any better than D. Jones either.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 08:00 PM
This guy has always been overrated on the PD, IMO. I don't think he's any better than D. Jones either.

He's always done well against us.

Especially when he was with the Magic.

2minutes twoa
12-22-2011, 08:25 PM
We've got an open roster spot and he could come cheap since he's got the guaranteed $$ from Phoenix. Why not.

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

Pacer Fan
12-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Not needed! No, Not at all! No thx! I'll Pass! Let's try Another! Next Plz!

QuickRelease
12-22-2011, 08:41 PM
He's always done well against us.Never let this be the sole reason to go after someone! :laugh: Seriously though, he's ok. Doesn't provide anything that we don't already have.

McKeyFan
12-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Never liked Pietrus that much.

Justin Tyme
12-22-2011, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=2minutes twoa;1326759]

We've got an open roster spot QUOTE]

Pacers have 2 open roster spots.

Justin Tyme
12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Not needed! No, Not at all! No thx! I'll Pass! Let's try Another! Next Plz!

I guess that means you aren't interested. :)

rock747
12-22-2011, 08:56 PM
sign him opposed to doing nothing? Sign him. Deeper the better.

CableKC
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
he's a low basketball iq version of BRush. Pass.

vnzla81
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I have a feeling that many people here have not seen Pietrus play, the guy is a defensive machine that can hit the 3 when needed, we need a guy like that now that Rush is gone.

Anthem
12-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Man, no love on the kabob thing? Am I old and out of touch?

PacerPenguins
12-22-2011, 09:11 PM
GIVE ME!!! I WANT!!! GET NOW!!! DEFENSIVE MONSTER!!! CAN SHOOT 3!!!! GET HIM NOAW!!!

vnzla81
12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Man, no love on the kabob thing? Am I old and out of touch?

Yes :-p

Pacer Fan
12-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I have a feeling that many people here have not seen Pietrus play, the guy is a defensive machine that can hit the 3 when needed, we need a guy like that now that Rush is gone.

I do agree with you, I would like to have him for a 1 year 3mil deal. The problem I have is if his knee was not in good enough shape for Raptors, then why would his knee be good enough for us? Doesn't make much sense to pay someone with a bum knee, take a roster spot and possible lose out on a future trade / FA this season.

xBulletproof
12-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Some of you are describing Golden State Pietrus, and he's not that guy anymore.

IndyPacer
12-22-2011, 09:38 PM
He's always done well against us.

Unfortunately, that is something could be said about quite a few players in recent years. :laugh:

However, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot as a backup wing for a decent price if he his health isn't going to be a long-term concern.

xIndyFan
12-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Some of you are describing Golden State Pietrus, and he's not that guy anymore.

pietrus did depend on his athleticism. if he's lost his hops, then he's just another guy.

Hicks
12-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Good shooter and good defender I would love to bring him here if he is healthy.

Agreed, but I'm afraid the health part is in serious question after that trade got stopped due to his physical.

It's too bad, too; once upon a time he would be a very nice addition to the bench.

Anthem
12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes :-p
Come on, dude. Don't you remember random quotes from rookies in 2004?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1760211

Pietrus, who plays less than nine minutes per game, said he defends "like a dog," only to see teammates "chewing the kebabs" he has prepared for them.

And you call yourself a basketball fan.

vnzla81
12-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Come on, dude. Don't you remember random quotes from rookies in 2004?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1760211

And you call yourself a basketball fan.

:laugh: 1st time I hear about that :laugh:

2minutes twoa
12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=2minutes twoa;1326759]

We've got an open roster spot QUOTE]

Pacers have 2 open roster spots.

I am aware, but thanks for pointing that out.

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

PGisthefuture
12-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Why not take a risk of signing Pietrus to a low-cost deal? He is a way better shooter than Dahntay Jones and makes smarter decisions on offense. He is a decent defender as well. More depth is always good and signing him to a 1-year deal won't mess anything up money-wise. He's been on playoff teams before and performed pretty well.

sportfireman
12-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Well if not Pietrus then sign another SF for this team. We are short on SF. Danny and George, thats it. DJones is not a SF.

beast23
12-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Why not take a risk of signing Pietrus to a low-cost deal? He is a way better shooter than Dahntay Jones and makes smarter decisions on offense. He is a decent defender as well. More depth is always good and signing him to a 1-year deal won't mess anything up money-wise. He's been on playoff teams before and performed pretty well.
I think that the precise point that many are making is that Pietrus is NOT a better shooter than Dahntay. In fact, statistically at least, he is inferior to Dahntay. The advantage that Dahntay has over him offensively is his ability to slash and get to the rim.

Shooting 3s and making 3s are two completely different things.

As far as defensive abilities are concerned, I think both players are pretty even. Both are pretty good defenders.

Scot Pollard
12-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Pietrus is not really a difference maker nor does he try to be.

He's someone who keeps the offensive flow going. Something Dahntay Jones does not.

He'd be good for us playing some minutes as Danny's backup.

I've liked Pietrus. Especially when he was with the Magic.

tadscout
12-23-2011, 01:03 AM
DJones is not a SF.

http://www.playerpress.com/uploads/Image/Jim%20O'Brien.jpg

Duh, because he is a PF! :devil:
---
I still can't believe how much he played DJones at PF.

PGisthefuture
12-23-2011, 01:07 AM
I've liked Pietrus. Especially when he was with the Magic.
I couldn't agree more, he was a solid contributor to that team and could play a similar role here.

Pingu
12-23-2011, 02:00 AM
He's no LeBron James but he's a decent player who fits the `smashmouth' job description and is looking to bounce back after his stint with the Suns. If he's healthy, I say go for it.

pacer4ever
12-23-2011, 02:11 AM
he is going to a contender my guess is Boston Sash Pavlovic is there starter if PP cant go. He is a clear upgrade Sash shouldnt be in the NBA anymore :laugh:

PR07
12-23-2011, 02:39 AM
All we really need is someone who can shoot and defend a tad for swingman depth. It's funny how that description sounds like Brandon Rush.

Marlin
12-23-2011, 04:00 AM
Problem is, doesn't look like he's healthy. I mean, he already failed a physical with the Raptors, and the Suns just waived him even if he has a wealthy guaranteed contract. That just screams "red flag".

pezasied182
12-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Problem is, doesn't look like he's healthy. I mean, he already failed a physical with the Raptors, and the Suns just waived him even if he has a wealthy guaranteed contract. That just screams "red flag".

From what I've read on Suns forums, there was more backlash when we traded Rush than when the Suns waived Pietrus, that should be telling as well. My good friend who is a Suns fan was glad he's gone.

D-BONE
12-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Pietrus = Overrated (especially from 3...don't know where this rep comes from)

Better 3 pt range than Jones, but not nearly as accomplished as what the rep leads you to believe. Guy is neither a shooter nor a scorer. Defensively it's a wash at best. Sharpshooter who shoots 66% FTs last three seasons?

Was supposed to break out four or five years ago, but was incapable of holding down starting role as a 4th/5th offensive option. Meh. I say don't waste even a paltry sum on him. Would rather have old man Redd if we need shooting.

MillerTime
12-23-2011, 08:13 AM
great guy to have backing up Granger at the 3.

Hes a great defender and can shot from beyond the arc

D-BONE
12-23-2011, 08:42 AM
36% career from downtown is pedestrian. For example would not put him near the top 50 all time, nor top 50 in most given seasons.

Average games played in his 9 yr career is 55. Career FG% and FT% both less than DJ's. Many talent evaluators would tell you he has not come near realizing his full potential.

Just seems like a move for a move's sake. Don't see it as a move that is really advantageous.

EDIT: If you thin out the wing rotation even more (i.e. include Granger, George, Jones, Lance in a trade, then maybe I can see the depth angle, but otherwise does not really address a need). If you need 3 pt shooting, then get a legit 3 pt. threat, IMO.

Anthem
12-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Heh. Found a "Who will be better, Wade or Pietrus" poll on a Warriors forum.

McKeyFan
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't see small forward as any kind of urgent need for our team.

The better way to end the Dahntay paranoia is to give the backup 3 minutes to Paul George. Remember, the guy is nearly freaking 6'10" now. He plays great defense, and can be a pretty good shooter. So we already have a Pietrus type on our team.

George Hill is a good player. He will need minutes. Lance could end up being good this year. He will need minutes. One way to solve the West/Tyler dilemma might be to put one of them at the 3 (if the matchup allows).

So, my point is that we already have decent depth at 1,2, and 3. Any more improvements ought to look at continuing to strengthen the 5, find a shot creator/scorer for the end of games, which is unlikely at this point, and being on the lookout for a very good, pass first point guard, which is even less likely.

Collison/Lance/Hill/AJ
PG/Hill/Lance/Dahntay/AJ
Granger/PG/Tyler?
Tyler/West
Roy/Foster/West/Amundson

Now, if your paranoia is related to the fact that Dahntay got a lot of minutes in preseason, well, I am with you. I'd like those minutes to go to Paul George, George Hill, and Lance. But I don't know what the coaching staff has in mind.

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 09:44 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/151313

Suns buy out Mickael Pietrus
Phoenix Suns update:

Mickael Pietrus was a Sun in roster only lately until they waived him Thursday.

The Suns bought out Pietrus' contract, paying him about $4.2 million of his $5.3 million salary. Once he clears waivers, Pietrus can pick from a group of other interested teams, led by Boston, to make up the difference.

"Both Mickael and us realized it'd be beneficial for both parties to party ways," Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. "There's an expression that, 'All's well that ends well.' In this case, all's well that ends."

Pietrus did not play or travel with the team over the final 12 games of last season due to knee pain. During the lockout, he had right knee surgery after he was declared unfit to join the French national team. The Suns agreed to trade him to Toronto two weeks ago but he failed the physical. Pietrus came to Phoenix for a MRI last weekend but never joined the team.

"He was really our kind of player -- a big guy who can shoot," Suns Coach Alvin Gentry said. "In order for it to be a good fit, you've got to want to be here and I'm not sure he was every fully engaged about being here."

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-evan-turner-still-not-starting?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nba-am-evan-turner-still-not-starting&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Pietrus And The Celtics?: The Phoenix Suns bought out the final year of Mickael Pietrus’ contract agreeing to pay him $4.2 million of the $5.3 million remaining on his deal. The Suns had tried to trade Pietrus to the Toronto Raptors when free agency opened however a swollen knee during a physical with the Raptors nixed the deal.

Pietrus is expected to clear waivers and then be free to choose his next team as an unrestricted free agent.

Pietrus’ agent Bill McCandless told A. Sherrod Blakely of csne.com that his client has heard from several teams including the Celtics.

“He’s only 29, so he’s not like Charles Barkley or some other older players running around, chasing a championship,” McCandless said. “But he wants to be with a playoff team, and have a chance to contribute.”

There had been reports that the New York Knicks were in the mix for Pietrus, however of the half dozen teams that inquired, the Knicks were not said to be one of them.

Pietrus left $1.1 million on the table in Phoenix and as an eight year veteran is eligible to sign an NBA minimum deal starting at $1,223,166.

The Celtics, Lakers and Knicks have been called the front runners for Pietrus once he clears waivers. All three have the ability to add him at the veterans minimum.

Strummer
12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
He must feel like he can still play or he wouldn't have taken a buyout.

Right now the Pacers roster is distributed like this:

PF/C: 6 players (3 per position)
SF/SG/PG: 7 players (2 1/3 per position)

They could definitely afford to take on another wing player as long as it's a one year deal. Either a cagey vet at the vet minimum or a young guy with promise.

ksuttonjr76
12-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I sure do wish that the Spurs had amenstied Richard Jefferson....

vnzla81
12-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Yep he is going to the Celtics

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix
RT @MickaelPietrus: I have decided to be part of The Boston Celtics Family.

vnzla81
12-24-2011, 07:22 PM
It looks like the Pacers had some interest in Pietrus

daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Pacers tried to work out a deal for Pietrus w/Suns, but couldn't get it done and opted not to claim him off waivers.

vnzla81
12-24-2011, 07:32 PM
The Pacers were close to get him, too bad they didn't do it:
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/12/24/pietrus-celtics/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Aldridge: Pietrus agrees to minimum deal with Celtics
By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Dec 24 2011 7:11PM

From the minute it became clear that veteran swingman Mickael Pietrus was not going to remain with the Phoenix Suns, almost all interested parties around the NBA expected the 29-year-old to wind up with the Boston Celtics if he cleared waivers, and that's precisely what happened Saturday, with Pietrus agreeing on a veteran minimum deal for the rest of the season when no team opted to pick up his $4 million pro-rated salary.

Boston was desperate to land Pietrus, a rugged defender and, normally, clutch shooter who had bedeviled the Celtics in the 2009 Eastern Conference semifinals while with the Magic, averaging 12 points per game in the seven-game Orlando victory, including 17 off the bench in the decisive Game 7.

But Pietrus fell out of favor in both Orlando, which traded him to Phoenix last December as part of the deal that sent center Marcin Gortat to the Suns for Jason Richardson, and in Phoenix, where he played in 38 games last season but was not part of the team's rebuilding plans going forward.

Pietrus's agent, Bill McCandless, had said Friday there was a 15 percent chance a team that had tried to trade for Pietrus would claim him off of waivers. That team turned out to be the Pacers, but they passed, leaving Pietrus free to go to Boston.

And with Paul Pierce (heel) uncertain for the start of the season Sunday, the Celtics' need for a small forward only grew. For now, Sasha Pavlovic is set to play in Pierce's place.

"It was sort of a fait accompli," McCandless said. "The question was, would Indiana claim him off of waivers since they were close to a trade? And they did not. Put aside all the tradition and stuff that we all know, and even that Mike knows growing up on a Caribbean island. The Celtics worked harder (than any other team). That's a nice combo."

McCandless said that Pietrus got a clean bill of health from an independent medical examination on his right knee on Wednesday. The Suns had originally dealt Pietrus to Toronto earlier this month for a protected second-round pick, but the deal was voided when Pietrus's knee swelled up after working out in Toronto.

The Raptors then signed veteran Rasual Butler and got forward Gary Forbes from Denver via offer sheet. The independent physician "said he's fine and ready to go," McCandless said.

Pacer Fan
12-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Why would they have interest in a trade but not off of waiver. To get draft pick or to rid a player like Jones?

vnzla81
12-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Why would they have interest in a trade but not off of waiver. To get draft pick or to rid a player like Jones?

Yeah it looks to me like they wanted to move DJ but Phoenix didn't want him.

OakMoses
12-24-2011, 11:42 PM
According to David Aldridge, the Pacers tried to trade for Pietrus, but then opted not to claim him off waivers and he signed with the Celts. Strange.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Shade
12-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Pietrus has always been overrated around here. At best, he's a lateral move to Dahntay.

Pass.

cdash
12-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Pietrus has always been overrated around here. At best, he's a lateral move to Dahntay.

Pass.

Yeah, I'm not too upset about this. I think I like Dahntay more than most around here though.