PDA

View Full Version : The Pacers have waived free agents Jarrid Famous, Tyren Johnson, Darnell Lazare and Matt Rogers. That leaves the Pacers’ roster at 13.

vnzla81
12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Pacers Indiana Pacers
The Pacers have waived free agents Jarrid Famous, Tyren Johnson, Darnell Lazare and Matt Rogers. That leaves the Pacers’ roster at 13.

Justin Tyme
12-22-2011, 04:44 PM
I couldn't envision the Pacers keeping any of them, so it comes as no surprise.

Justin Tyme
12-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm interested in seeing what other players get cut from teams. There is always a slight chance someone could interest the Pacers. Ya just never know.

Anthem
12-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I wondered if that block might have secured Rogers' spot on the team. Guess not.

ChristianDudley
12-22-2011, 05:05 PM
I was actually thinking Tyren Johnson might have had a small chance of making our roster, but I guess not. He killed it on both ends of the court at the Fan Jam. Kudos to him.

Hoop
12-22-2011, 05:15 PM
We are in a great position. Cap room, open spots. Not sure who we could get, but it's nice to have options we've not had before.

OKC was able to get Eric Manor for basically nothing by being in this kind of situation.

Peck
12-22-2011, 05:55 PM
New NBA rule this year allows us to dress & play 13 players instead of 12 up until the middle of February (I think) and then you can dress 13 but only play 12.

I like Uncle Bucks idea from a season or so ago when he just said why not let everybody dress & play in any game. Having non-dressed reserves just doesn't make sense anymore.

Pacer Fan
12-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Thank goodness!

Hicks
12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
When did it ever make sense?

Winner
12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
None of them made much of an impression in the short time they were on the court. So, oh well.

vnzla81
12-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Maybe when Shaq was dominating so you needed a bunch a bigs just in case?

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 06:05 PM
:wave:

owl
12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
If the Pacers have met payroll requirements then those extra 2 spots are worthless.
If someone is injured you can sign any number of players from developmental league.

xIndyFan
12-22-2011, 06:47 PM
If the Pacers have met payroll requirements then those extra 2 spots are worthless.
If someone is injured you can sign any number of players from developmental league.

basically.

the last couple of roster spots are places for developmental guys, too. since the pacer's development guys are also rotation guys, i'm good with saving the money and calling it a day.

Peck
12-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Never really....

owl
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
It also keeps the Pacers from having to make the decision on who is not dressing for the game.

Hicks
12-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Maybe when Shaq was dominating so you needed a bunch a bigs just in case?

I don't see your point. The rule always meant you had less bodies, not more, to throw out there on the floor any given night.

All 15 should (have) always be(en) able to play, IMO.

BlueNGold
12-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Never really....

I might be missing something, but doesn't it help to have a couple guys who know the system to be available in the event of an injury?

Just as an aside...don't tell West we only have 13 players. He thinks this team is DEEP!

Hicks
12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
I might be missing something, but doesn't it help to have a couple guys who know the system to be available in the event of an injury?

Isn't that Peck's point? The old rules don't allow you to play everyone on the roster; you always had to choose 2-3 to sit out in street clothes. I think it's dumb and needs to go away.

jeffg-body
12-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Nothing unexpected to me. This leaves us some flexibility for teams looking to shed salary.

docpaul
12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't see your point. The rule always meant you had less bodies, not more, to throw out there on the floor any given night.

All 15 should (have) always be(en) able to play, IMO.

You don't remember Hack-a-Shaq?

3 more players could = 3 more centers = 15 more fouls = 30 free throw shots for a 52% lifetime FT% vs. him taking it to the rack at will. :)

Hicks
12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
You don't remember Hack-a-Shaq?

3 more players could = 3 more centers = 15 more fouls = 30 free throw shots for a 52% lifetime FT% vs. him taking it to the rack at will. :)

Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

docpaul
12-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Perhaps I'm not following the conversation here, but it seemed like you and others were questioning why they restricted all 15 players to play during a game.

I was suggesting that it might have made sense some time ago because teams often used techniques like the Hack-a-Shaq to take away dimensions of a player's game just through multiple opposing players who could just absorb fouls. Limiting the active roster to 12 took some of that away.

beast23
12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Perhaps I'm not following the conversation here, but it seemed like you and others were questioning why they restricted all 15 players to play during a game.

I was suggesting that it might have made sense some time ago because teams often used techniques like the Hack-a-Shaq to take away dimensions of a player's game just through multiple opposing players who could just absorb fouls. Limiting the active roster to 12 took some of that away.
Or... if they had actually allowed players to dress and play against LA, then maybe Shaq would have been compelled to learn how to shoot free throws. Otherwise, either LA would have lost several more games or would have put Shaq on the bench the last half of the fourth quarter.

aceace
12-23-2011, 01:15 AM
I am thinking there is at least one open spot for Michael Redd just in case.

rock747
12-23-2011, 01:50 AM
I am thinking there is at least one open spot for Michael Redd just in case.

How many spots can Michael Redd take?

ECKrueger
12-23-2011, 01:57 AM

Simple, but that was good.

DrFife
12-23-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm interested in seeing what other players get cut from teams. There is always a slight chance someone could interest the Pacers. Ya just never know.

Greg Smith.

http://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen

With addition of Dalembert, the Rockets will release Greg Smith. At 20-yrs-old, 6-10 and as strong as a fork lift, he has a future in NBA.

pacer4ever
12-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Greg Smith.

http://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen

If Hibbert can make him his little brother and teach him how to work hard he has potential. I watched him about 25 times over his 2 years at Fresno no doubt he has talent but he has a bad motor and work ethic from what I saw.

If he is gonna be claimed it will be today or saturday at the latest if not he is heading to the Rockets D-league team Rio Grand.

PR07
12-23-2011, 02:44 AM
I didn't really have a problem with the 12 man active, 15 man roster limit. How many times do 15 guys play in a game all at once anyways? The ability to carry 3 inactive meant that you had guys who knew the system and could call upon if an injury occurred and activate them. Granted, I like it how it is now.

aceace
12-23-2011, 02:52 AM
How many spots can Michael Redd take?My point was we will probably have at least 14 going into the season and the Pacers would like it to be Redd as #14 and are waiting to see what happens with him. If Redd doesn't sign here then they will probably pick up another player.

Psyren
12-23-2011, 03:01 AM
My point was we will probably have at least 14 going into the season and the Pacers would like it to be Redd as #14 and are waiting to see what happens with him. If Redd doesn't sign here then they will probably pick up another player.

Mike Wells doesn't think so. Well, I guess that could've changed seeing as this was posted before the 2nd Chicago game, and we certainly couldn't hit jump shots in that game:

@MikeWellsNBA (http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA)

The Pacers likely won't add anymore players to the roster before the start of the regular season.

Of course they could change their mind and resume looking for a scorer if they can't make jump shots again tonight vs the Bulls

SoupIsGood
12-23-2011, 03:36 AM
strong as a fork lift. . . A fork lift!

DocHolliday
12-23-2011, 04:32 PM
strong as a fork lift. . . A fork lift!

He can move the pallets of kegs around the concession area. A good move to make instead of buying another forklift.

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 04:41 PM

2 spots one for him and one for his wheel chair.

vnzla81
12-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Agree with this, the extra players were also needed for playoffs games and when Shaq got more than one of your centers hurt.