PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Pacers: while you are renaming things, let's name the floor BOB LEONARD COURT

Slick Pinkham
12-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Let's honor a great man who has been Indiana basketball for over 60 years.

Don't wait any more.

Those who agree with this, vote yes, and consider it our little petition.

RWB
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

And if they don't agree to it we'll call it Leonard court anyway.

Ownagedood
12-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Maybe "Slick Court" for short... ;)

It would be cool though if they named it Leonard Court

Pacers24Colts12
Agreed!

Slick Pinkham
well, my computer hung up while I was doing the poll option choices, so I didn't get to make this a poll to record your "votes". But still, your reply is your voice.

Pacers, please do this!

Grover
12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
YES

PacersHomer
12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Slick Court...Yes that.

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 02:07 PM
We need to have his signature on the court like Boston did with Auerbach.

ThatPacerFan
12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Well hell, since you mentioned it, we might as well name it Kawhi Leonard Court. He'll be dominating us whenever we play him at home, so it only makes sense to name the place after him.

PacersHomer
12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Well hell, since you mentioned it, we might as well name it Kawhi Leonard Court. He'll be dominating us when steps on our court, so it only makes sense to name the place after him.

http://arch.413chan.net/spiderman_-_psst_I_see_you_troll-(n1303412123056).jpg

trs72
12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Let's honor a great man who has been Indiana basketball for over 60 years.

Don't wait any more.

Those who agree with this, vote yes, and consider it our little petition.

I agree. Slick is a Indiana icon.

presto123
12-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I like Slick Court. All the opposing teams will have a fear they will come here and bust their a**. LOL

Hicks
Well hell, since you mentioned it, we might as well name it Kawhi Leonard Court. He'll be dominating us whenever we play him at home, so it only makes sense to name the place after him.

And you wanted anyone to think you WEREN'T a troll?

My patience is almost gone.

sobleski
YES

Peck
12-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Ok, you are now on the radar.

Unclebuck
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Is he going to pay the pacers to name it that?

glazedham42
12-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Ok, you are now on the radar.

Please, I beg of you. Make him disappear.....

Slick Pinkham
12-22-2011, 02:31 PM

We can compromise and call it

Slick Leonard Court, sponsored by Quaker State*

*or whomever is the highest bidder

indygeezer
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Is there a way to "dislike" a post (see directly above)

they should also have a special night (when do we play Boston??) to officially name the court.

indygeezer
12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Carrying things too far.....

The Nancy Leonard Pacer Boutique

The David Craig Training Spa

The David Morway Parking Garage

etc etc.

But I really like Leonard Court

Day-V
12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Tremendous idea. I love it. It makes complete and total sense.

.....In other words, it'll never happen.

RWB
12-22-2011, 02:41 PM

He already did by organizing that telethon so many years ago.

Freddie fan
12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Just do it, Pacers. Boom baby!

Steagles
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Slick Court.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Ugh, we should do something for Roger, Reggie, George and Mel (Daniels), too.

RWB
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Ugh, we should do something for Roger, Reggie, George and Mel (Daniels), too.

Slick is that important.... rafters should suffice fo the others.

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Okay, sounds good. Let's do this!

pizza guy
12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Awesome idea. Do it!

Slick Pinkham
12-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Yes, he didn't JUST coach the Pacers to three ABA titles,

or JUST become the beloved and iconic voice of the team,

or JUST help the franchise survive via the telethon,

and he wasn't JUST another Indiana basketball high school legend and college national champion at IU, long before the Pacers existed,

He was all of that.

And now, at age 79 it's time to honor him so he can sit back and enjoy it. He might not like being in the spotlight, but he is uniquely deserving.

RWB
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
So here's the plan..... first game we all go down to the court early, distract the ushers and security, and someone here at PD brings the largest black Sharpie they can find. The PD member with the best penmanship will have to work quick on the floor.

Still have to figure out how to sneak in the polyurethane. The brushes should be pretty simple.

graphic-er
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
This is a good idea, they should have Bob Leonard Court along the half court line or around the circle.

RWB
12-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Next idea.... first game....occupy center court, refuse to leave until said area is named Leonard Court!!!

beast23
12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I thought about this for the last several minutes before finally posting.

I love Leonard. He's a total class act. But like Roger, Mel, George and Reggie, Slick has a place in the rafters.

If I were to name the court, I would name it "Simon Court". Without Mel and Herb there would be no Pacers basketball in Indy. And to me anyway, that trumps any other person ever associated with the Pacers.

Edit:
However, if plans were to give Mel and Herb a statue in the lobby, I would not object at all with the naming of the court to "Leonard Court". My only request would be that it be done as a surprise to Leonard and presented to him while he is still living.

Sandman21
12-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Save it until we know if Slick is going into the Hall as the ABA candidate, with him, Big George and Mel being 3 of the 5 up for nomination, I like our odds of having an ABA Pacer finally enter the Hall, and should it be Slick, why not rename the court while the iron is hot?

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 04:01 PM
I thought about this for the last several minutes before finally posting.

I love Leonard. He's a total class act. But like Roger, Mel, George and Reggie, Slick has a place in the rafters.

If I were to name the court, I would name it "Simon Court". Without Mel and Herb there would be no Pacers basketball in Indy. And to me anyway, that trumps any other person ever associated with the Pacers.

Edit:
However, if plans were to give Mel and Herb a statue in the lobby, I would not object at all with the naming of the court to "Leonard Court". My only request would be that it be done as a surprise to Leonard and presented to him while he is still living.

Maybe Herb's son Steve, if he's the next owner, would do it. I think he's a strong candidate and I know Herb will find the right guy to run this franchise like he and Mel had done for years.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 04:06 PM
No Indiana sports icon is bigger than Bobby "Slick" Leonard.

He's a great man and God bless him.

graphic-er
12-22-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.drivedesignworks.com/images/pacers.jpg

Gotta have the boom baby next to his name.

Pacers24Colts12
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
I like it, but I think the signature needs to be on the Pacers bench side, also you have it as Conseco Fieldhouse...where is that?

The Sleeze
12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
http://oi42.tinypic.com/xpzs0m.jpg

Wasn't trying to one-up you graphic-er, I was working on this and when I went to upload it I saw you had already done one.

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Ya'll beat me to it.

Clickable thumbnails...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/th_slick_court_2.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/?action=view&current=slick_court_2.jpg)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/th_slick_court_1.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/?action=view&current=slick_court_1.jpg)

graphic-er
12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
http://oi42.tinypic.com/xpzs0m.jpg

Wasn't trying to one-up you graphic-er, I was working on this and when I went to upload it I saw you had already done one.

Don't worry I only spent 2 minutes on that.

RWB
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
So is the practice court still called Emmis Practice Court?

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 04:30 PM
So is the practice court still called Emmis Practice Court?
I thought Gatorade took it.

Doddage
12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Slick = The Pacers.

I support this and say this needs to be done in time for him to see it.

BlueNGold
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Totally agree with the idea of giving Slick a special honor. Bobby Leonard Court is a good idea.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Slick = Indiana.

I support this and say this needs to be done in time for him to see it.

Fixed. :D

Roaming Gnome
12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Trying to add a poll to the established thread
*Edit* Success!!!

Roaming Gnome
12-22-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd love this to be done this year as an added honor to Slick being enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame!!! Hope this is the year!

owl
12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Somehow "Slick" has to be part of the name. Bobby "Slick" Leonard Court.

Bball
12-23-2011, 05:57 AM
This is such a great idea I'm surprised not only hasn't it been mentioned here but that it hasn't already happened in real life.

Someone make sure TPTB see this thread and hear of this idea in case it's never happened simply because it's never been thought of.

As for the Hall of Fame... something like this would probably increase his chances because it helps to keep his name out there. Every team coming to the fieldhouse will have the announcers mentioning the name of the court at least once. And if we ever get on national TV it'll be the same...

vapacersfan
12-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Of all the threads here at the Digest over the years, this may be one of the best ones.

The ABA dates me, but that does mean I can not respect the impact many of these guys had on the modern day NBA and especially our Indiana Pacers.

I have no clue if Rob is still active here, but if not someone needs to draft a note to the Pacers (perhaps even a simple PR email address to start off) and link this thread.

A great idea, and frankly one that would not be hard to accomplish.

BOOM BABY!

EDIT: I just sent a note off. Who knows if anyone will act on it, or even something like this is currently in the work, but like I said a great idea.

owl
12-23-2011, 10:14 AM
The NBA has a bias against the ABA. Slick should have already been inducted.
I think honoring him with the court name idea is better than the NBA induction.

12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
It would be cool to name it Bobby Leonard court. However, if Reggie is inducted into the Hall of Fame, I would love to see "Reggie Miller" written on the sideline.

31andonly
12-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I always find it amazing how talented some of you are when it comes to designing jerseys, logos, the floor of the Fieldhouse or whatsoever...kudos to all of you who are doing stuff like this!

QuickRelease
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Someone mentioned Mr Simon as well. Maybe Simon/Leonard Court, or Leonard/Simon Court? Dual honor for two franchise hallmarks?

12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
On second thought, it would be a brilliant idea to name it after Slick.

I know how lame this question is, but how do we make a request to the Pacer's admin about this?

Hicks
12-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I just tweeted this thread to some Pacer staff and players to try to draw attention to the idea, at least.

Hicks
12-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Went ahead with one to Boyle, Chris, and Wells as well. Hopefully they will start a dialog with whomever can make this happen!

Hicks
12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Well, strike one:

Mark Boyle @Mark_J_Boyle 25m
@HicksPD @chrisdenari @mikewellsnba Love Slick, not a fan of the idea. That's a college thing. Banner in the rafters is the ultimate honor.

Bball
12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, strike one:

@HicksPD @chrisdenari @mikewellsnba Love Slick, not a fan of the idea. That's a college thing. Banner in the rafters is the ultimate honor.

Having the court named after you is the ultimate honor. Not unheard of yet way more exclusive.

kielbeze
12-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Well at least we now know that thatch3232 is Mark Boyle. lol

MTM
12-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Well, strike one:

I have the highest respect to Mark Boyle and any opinion he offers. But I think he is wrong. He is not a fan of the idea, and that's fine. But
the whole idea of a "college-type thing" in Indiana, like naming a court after an inflential person in the franchise's history, is that basketball... even pro basketball... is more like 'family' than it is anywhere else. I think this only further supports the idea.

thatch3232
12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Well at least we now know that thatch3232 is Mark Boyle. lol

Thought I clicked "yes" haha. Unintentional "no" and I don't know how to change it.

kielbeze
12-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Thought I clicked "yes" haha. Unintentional "no" and I don't know how to change it.

Keep telling yourself that Boyle

12-23-2011, 04:28 PM
My initial thought was, "That's a college thing" but didn't Boston do it? Perhaps it may conflict with the rights of Banker's Life to name to venue, but it seems as though it is a special honor reserved for the biggest legend. There is no question that in Pacers history (though I am too young to have experienced it) Slick Leonard is the legend.

The Sleeze
12-23-2011, 05:03 PM
The only problem is if we name it "Bobby Leonard Court" now then we can't name it "Frank Vogel Court" after we win a couple championships. ;)

Sandman21
12-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Area55, boo this man!:D

And the other two Mark Boyle accounts while we're at it!:laugh:

Deadshot
12-23-2011, 05:42 PM
My initial thought was, "That's a college thing" but didn't Boston do it? Perhaps it may conflict with the rights of Banker's Life to name to venue, but it seems as though it is a special honor reserved for the biggest legend. There is no question that in Pacers history (though I am too young to have experienced it) Slick Leonard is the legend.

I'm sure if discussed, it could benefit both parties. If the court is renamed, the name of the venue will get more exposure as well.

Slick Pinkham
12-23-2011, 05:51 PM
I admit that this sort of thing is quite unusual for a pro team, perhaps even not precedented. But... this is a pretty rare occurance, for one person to be

-a coach of three championship teams
- an iconic announcer for decades
- a key factor in keeping the franchise alive in the 70s
- a locally-raised athlete with tremendous success in his own playing career

At least each of the first three accomplishments, on their own, are worthy of recognition in the rafters.

That one man accomplished all of that, while also being a good citizen in the community, and for one pro franchise is why I think that naming the floor itself after him is a fully appropriate honor.

cdash
12-23-2011, 06:29 PM
I wish there was an option for "I don't really care."

I like the idea of honoring Slick, but we have already done that with a banner in the rafters. I never really liked "Wally Boner Court at Pink Taco Stadium" types of things--it's just a mouth full.

Slick Pinkham
12-23-2011, 09:12 PM
cdash, you say all of that when its an advertising thing, because the contract says that you have to. Nobody has to plug Bobby Leonard court. It would just be what it IS.

speakout4
12-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Someone mentioned Mr Simon as well. Maybe Simon/Leonard Court, or Leonard/Simon Court? Dual honor for two franchise hallmarks?
I like this suggestion because we have a number of guys we should honor and the Simons and Slick top the list. They certainly helped to write professional ball in this city

greengirl33
12-24-2011, 02:08 AM

Red Auerbach's signature is on the court but, to the best of my knowledge, it's not called "The Red Auerbach Court".

I think another poster did suggest to just put Mr. Leonard's signature down like Boston did, not actually rename the court.

Slick Pinkham
12-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Prior to Boston's season opener against the Wizards, his signature was officially placed on the parquet floor near center court, thereby naming the court as "Red Auerbach Parquet Floor." The ceremony was attended by his daughter Randy and some of the Celtics legends. The signature replaced the Red Auerbach memorial logo used during the 2007 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Auerbach

BillS
12-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Without Slick rescuing the team the Simons would have had nothing to save.

And with all due respect to Mr. Boyle, I think he underestimates the emotional connection we long-time fans have to Bobby Leonard. The place he holds in our hearts at every level deserves to have a singular honor, and one that is somehow a 'high school' or 'college' level honor (whatever that might mean) is not just solidly appropriate to Indiana tradition, it is appropriate to Slick's contribution at those levels.

RWB
12-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Without Slick rescuing the team the Simons would have had nothing to save.

And with all due respect to Mr. Boyle, I think he underestimates the emotional connection we long-time fans have to Bobby Leonard. The place he holds in our hearts at every level deserves to have a singular honor, and one that is somehow a 'high school' or 'college' level honor (whatever that might mean) is not just solidly appropriate to Indiana tradition, it is appropriate to Slick's contribution at those levels.

Great post Bill, great post. I know Mark tries to be objective in everything he says/thinks, but actually working with Slick all the time has probably made him just the opposite at least in this situation.

Mark you're just a Pacer baby and short timer. :p Slick really does have a mistress (don't tell his wife) and she's blue and gold. Always has and always will.

vapacersfan
12-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Well said Bill and RWB

greengirl33
12-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Prior to Boston's season opener against the Wizards, his signature was officially placed on the parquet floor near center court, thereby naming the court as "Red Auerbach Parquet Floor." The ceremony was attended by his daughter Randy and some of the Celtics legends. The signature replaced the Red Auerbach memorial logo used during the 2007 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Auerbach

Interesting it's listed on Wiki - I skimmed the actual Garden website and Celtics.com and I didn't see it mentioned (granted it was 2am-could have missed something or looked in the wrong section).

No one I know refers to it as that and I can't remember the announcers saying before each game how the Celtics are about to play on the "Red Auerbach Parquet Floor". Do you guys know if opposing team announcers say it?

I know a lot of you will hate the following statement but I guess my point is if one has to hunt for the answer and for the most part no one refers to it as that (although there are always exceptions), how big of an honor was it? You guys want to honor a man who has done great things for your organization and should have been in the HOF a long time ago - maybe renaming the floor isn't it.

Slick Pinkham
12-27-2011, 11:32 AM
bumping to keep the idea alive and to get it to people who may have been away/occupied last week

Slick Leonard or Bobby Leonard Court