PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Options

MyFavMartin
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Do we hold the roster spots open for potential overseas free agents?

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/basketball/fba/story?page=nbadk2k12_overseas

----------

One NBA player not listed in the above article that I would have interest in is Yi Jianlian, who has very good size and midrange jumpshot.

imbtyler
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
The only international players I would be interested in at this point are Wilson Chandler and JR Smith. Smith is a go-to scorer, and the energy he brings to a team is substantial. Last I heard, though, he was injured, and I don't know if he would be as valuable as he has been for Denver.

NapTonius Monk
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Wilson Chandler!

NapTonius Monk
12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
The only international players I would be interested in at this point are Wilson Chandler and JR Smith. Smith is a go-to scorer, and the energy he brings to a team is substantial. Last I heard, though, he was injured, and I don't know if he would be as valuable as he has been for Denver.

JR Smith seems to think he's bigger than the team. George Karl has been trying to reel Smith in for years to play within the team concept. Another knuckleheaded JR. From JR Rider to JR Smith. If he ever got his head screwed on straight, he'd be one of the top SG in the league. Unfortunately, if you have to start a sentence off with "If they can just get their head screwed on straight," it generally doesn't end well.

90'sNBARocked
12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/top-free-agents-left-on-the-market

Top Free Agents Left on the Market

With the NBA season now just four days away, most teams have solidified their rosters. They’ve spent their money, worked on their rotations, and filled in their gaps, but there are still some pretty decent talents left on the market without a new contract. Here’s a quick look at the top names still without a team.

Gilbert Arenas, guard: Still just 29 years old and with a career scoring average of 21.2 points a game, Arenas is being picky about his next situation. After Orlando used the amnesty provision on him, guaranteeing him a financial windfall, he can afford to be picky. His most likely destination is probably the New Jersey Nets, who still have over $9 million in cap space after signing Kris Humphries. He wants to sign on to play wherever Dwight Howard is traded, but could just take a one-year deal in Jersey to get back on the court and build his market value back up. After a couple injuries in Washington and never fitting in with the Orlando Magic, playing alongside Deron Williams as a complementary scoring option may be his best career choice.

Samuel Dalembert, center: Dalembert boasts career averages of 8.1 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.9 blocks and 52% shooting from the field. He has also missed just two games in the past five seasons, both last season. He is a solid positional defender and rebounder, but his offensive game isn’t the most reliable. He entered free agency expecting to get a big payday – perhaps not as big as Nene or Tyson Chandler, but not too far away either. Instead cap space across the league has gradually dried up and now, after the Houston Rockets have decided to pass, his best bet at a payday is back in Sacramento. The problem for him there is the Kings seem set on starting DeMarcus Cousins and J.J. Hickson at their big man spots. While he wants a long-term deal, a one-year deal with the Kings and then hitting free agency again next summer could be his smartest move.

Andrei Kirilenko, forward: Kirilenko is close to a deal with New Jersey Nets, but it hasn’t been signed yet. It’s probably not a surprise, considering he has been rumored to be headed to Jersey ever since Mikhail Prokhorov bought the team in the spring of 2010. The Kings had also been on his radar.

Michael Redd, guard: Yes, Redd has played just 61 games over the past three seasons, a time in which he also earned over $50 million, but he still is one of the best shooters in the league. He didn’t play last year until the very end of March and took a few games to get his legs under him, but scored in double digits off Milwaukee’s bench in two of the final three games. It’s a small sample size, but given his background just about any team would be better off with this sharpshooter off the bench. He was rumored to be heading to Indiana, but the Pacers seem satisfied with their roster now.

DeShawn Stevenson, guard: Last year Stevenson started 18 of 21 playoff games for the Dallas Mavericks, the same Mavs who won the NBA title, shooting 40% from three-point range during that run. He hasn’t shot over 40% overall from the floor since 2006-07, but Stevenson is still a decent defender and a good spot-up shooter when he gets his feet under him. With his experience a lot of teams could use him as a fourth guard.

Willie Green, guard: Green brings a lot of the same aspects to the floor as Stevenson. He’s a streaky shooter with not a good percentage overall, he can play a little bit of defense – not a ton – and can create his own shot. He’d be a decent choice for a team looking to fill 12-15 guard minutes off the bench.

James Posey, guard/forward: Posey isn’t the lockdown defender and solid three-point shooter that won rings with Miami in 2006 and Boston in 2008, but at 34 years old he can still bring pressure in some bench minutes at the wing positions. He had been linked to the Knicks, but after adding Steve Novak they seem to be done for now.

Hot Free Agents When They Come Back From China: Aaron Brooks (restricted – Phoenix), Wilson Chandler (restricted – Denver), Kenyon Martin, J.R. Smith

Other Names of Note: Francisco Elson (F/C), Jamario Moon (G/F), Rodney Carney (F), Yi Jianlian (F), Malik Allen (F), Joel Przybilla (C), Etan Thomas (C).

I wouldnt mind a low risk contract for a year or two to Deshawn

CableKC
12-21-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd go after DeShawn Stevenson ( 1 year deal ) and then save the $$$ for next year's FA market.

CableKC
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
JR Smith seems to think he's bigger than the team. George Karl has been trying to reel Smith in for years to play within the team concept. Another knuckleheaded JR. From JR Rider to JR Smith. If he ever got his head screwed on straight, he'd be one of the top SG in the league. Unfortunately, if you have to start a sentence off with "If they can just get their head screwed on straight," it generally doesn't end well.
Yeah.....this pretty much says it all. :laugh:

Pass on JR Smith.

Brad8888
12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I canNOT believe that the preeminent "stretch 4" and elite defender James Posey is still available...:drool:

:rotflmao:

Wilk39
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I saw on the Bottom Line that the Pacers were in discussions along with the Hornets and another team for a Mexican guard in a European league. I didn't catch the whole thing and didn't catch the name of the player. I can't find any information on this anywhere.

wintermute
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm mildly interested in Willie Green (another ex-Hornet), I'm surprised he's not signed yet. He's a scoring combo guard who's not afraid to put up shots, which is a nice way of saying he's a bit of a chucker. Probably not much better than our current guards, but then I've never understood the fascination with Jamal Crawford. I guess Green is a poor man's Crawford.

Not too interested in DeShawn, but the extra depth can't hurt I suppose.

CableKC
12-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I saw on the Bottom Line that the Pacers were in discussions along with the Hornets and another team for a Mexican guard in a European league. I didn't catch the whole thing and didn't catch the name of the player. I can't find any information on this anywhere.
Are you sure it wasn't a Center?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1323449&postcount=1

PR07
12-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I'd take a flyer on JR Smith for one year, but I imagine we'll stay away due to character red flags. Wilson Chandler is also a nice player, but I'd rather not tie up any money long-term in another "nice" player, we need more.

Since86
12-21-2011, 02:02 PM
JR Smith won't be available until March. There's no reason to sign him to a two month deal.

ThatPacerFan
12-21-2011, 02:07 PM
We need a back-up small forward now that Rush is gone. At the moment Dahntay Jones is our back-up at that position. Wilson chandler can defend, create his own shot, and is 6'8. Nuff said.

Since86
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Wilson Chandler isn't available until March, just like JR Smith. It's the same scenario as Keyon Martin. All 3 are out of the NBA until the Chinese league is done, which won't be until March.

And besides, PG is the backup 3. The Pacers are going to give him as many minutes as they can.

Wilk39
12-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Are you sure it wasn't a Center?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1323449&postcount=1

Ah! Thanks.

ThatPacerFan
12-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Wilson Chandler isn't available until March, just like JR Smith. It's the same scenario as Keyon Martin. All 3 are out of the NBA until the Chinese league is done, which won't be until March.

And besides, PG is the backup 3. The Pacers are going to give him as many minutes as they can.

How is he the back-up 3? He's in the flippin' starting 5. If you want him to be the back-up 3 then he's going to have to come off the bench. Otherwise, Dahntay Jones is going to be playing out of position the entire season, unless we sign another SF.

Since86
12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
How is he the back-up 3? He's in the flippin' starting 5. If you want him to be the back-up 3 then he's going to have to come off the bench. Otherwise, Dahntay Jones is going to be playing out of position the entire season, unless we sign another SF.

I didn't realize you can only play the position that you start the game at. Must be a new rule.

Freddie fan
12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I canNOT believe that the preeminent "stretch 4" and elite defender James Posey is still available...:drool:

:rotflmao:

Posey must be holding out for one of the bigger contracts among this year's free agent class. It's pretty impressive that at 33 last season, he was playing in front of Tyler Hansbrough.

One of Jim O'Brien's goals with his "cleverness" and unorthodox approach, I think, was to have more impact than most coaches on who wins the game. Deciding that Posey would bring more to the floor than Hansbrough is one of many examples of O'Brien succeeding wildly in achieving this goal. He had many know-it-all critics certainly, but in hindsight he really made only one mistake -- helping the opponents to win instead of the Pacers.

Hicks
12-21-2011, 02:34 PM
If we could get him for multiple years, I'm fine with signing Wilson Chandler in March.

ThatPacerFan
12-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I didn't realize you can only play the position that you start the game at. Must be a new rule.

Ok but, there's still so many risks when only having 2 SF's on your team. At the same time, it's even worse to use them all in the starting line-up. It's a short season and they'll get worn out. Once we play a team like the Heat, we're going to need all the 6'8 guys we can get to throw at Lebron and Wade. I'm pretty confident that we'll run out of defenders once Lebron or Wade uses their skills to put our players in foul trouble.

Ace E.Anderson
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I think Deshawn Stevenson aka the "lebron stopper" (lol) would be a great addition to the team as a defensive minded, 3-pt shooter with playoff experience.

Willie Green would be a decent pickup as well, he can create his own shot pretty well and is very aggressive going to the basket.

Since86
12-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Good thing the Pacers currently have 3 sfs on their roster. Danny, PG, and DJones makes three.

I just don't see the Pacers adding any wing players to the roster, unless it's an obvious upgrade (and I hate to mention it but.....) like trading PG or Danny for Eric Gordon. Doesn't have to be him, but you get the point.

Upgrading the PG and Center positions are much more of a pressing issue than anything.

McKeyFan
12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I think Deshawn Stevenson aka the "lebron stopper" (lol) would be a great addition to the team as a defensive minded, 3-pt shooter with playoff experience.

Willie Green would be a decent pickup as well, he can create his own shot pretty well and is very aggressive going to the basket.

I get confused by all the Greens.

McKeyFan
12-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Anybody else locked up overseas?

My question: did these guys really screw up? Or are they fine with their situation?

ThatPacerFan
12-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Good thing the Pacers currently have 3 sfs on their roster. Danny, PG, and DJones makes three.

You're kidding right? Dahntay Jones is not a SF rofl. 6'6 SG. That's his natural position. Positional purity is always a big part of a teams success. Dahntay Jones started for the nuggets at SG back in the Western Conference finals against the lakers. He guarded Kobe the whole time. Since when does he play SF and actually flourish? He's best kept at the 2 position.

Since86
12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Aaron Brooks is in the same position.

CableKC
12-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm still in favor of trying to make a run for EJ.....but if the Pacers don't think that EJ's worth the MAX, then I'd be okay with Wilson.

But IMHO....EJ is a difference maker....Wilson is a very solid Starting quality Player and would give us a super Deep Wing rotation. I'd rather wait and gamble to see if we can make a run at EJ....even if he is offered a MAX Level contract and the Hornets match.

CableKC
12-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Anybody else locked up overseas?

My question: did these guys really screw up? Or are they fine with their situation?
Yes and ( my guess ) No.

They should fire their Agent for deciding so soon in the CBA negotiations. At the very least...they should have gone to Europe...not China.

Since86
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM
You're kidding right? Dahntay Jones is not a SF rofl. 6'6 SG. That's his natural position. Positional purity is always a big part of a teams success. Dahntay Jones started for the nuggets at SG back in the Western Conference finals against the lakers. He guarded Kobe the whole time. Since when does he play SF and actually flourish? He's best kept at the 2 position.

Since when does he play SG and actually flourish? He can play SF, and he does play SF. He did last night when they played DC, Hill, and DJones together.

Hell, JOb played him at the 4!

Hicks
12-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Chandler would be a clear upgrade over Dahntay.

naptownmenace
12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
I love the way Wilson Chandler plays. He plays with hustle and heart to go along with good athleticism and a sweet jumpshot. I think that he'd be an upgrade over Paul George at this stage of his young career.

JR Smith is so talented and yet so flawed as a human being. He's not hurt, BTW. He's been playing extremely well. I'd be willing to give him an one-year offer if he becomes available at the end of March. He can be a real difference maker and can dribble and shoot the ball better than anyone on the Pacers squad. He's just so immature.

Deshawn Stevenson... I don't think folks from Indy would like him because of his looks and demeanor but he'd be a great addition to the team.

3 8 thee great t h
12-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Dalembert just reached an agreement with the Houston rockets...

xBulletproof
12-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Dahntay played 1/3 of his minutes last year at the SF.

The position you can play is defined by who you can defend. He can defend most SF's.

90'sNBARocked
12-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Check the 5 game wining streak bro

:)

D-BONE
12-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Hell, he might be a clear upgrade over DG if our captain can't find some consistency of effort in anything beyond hoisting shots. Defense? Rebounding? Hustle? Intensity? Is he captain again this year?

Steagles
12-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Jon Diebler.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

CableKC
12-21-2011, 11:22 PM
what is the nuggets salary cap situation after signing affalo and none?

xBulletproof
12-22-2011, 08:30 AM
what is the nuggets salary cap situation after signing affalo and none?

They're at or over the cap today.

Next year they're around 14 million under as it stands today.

OakMoses
12-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Dahntay's true position is SG. Yes, he can defend a lot of SF's, but he's at his best guarding smaller guys who spend most of their time on the perimeter. He needs to be able to use his strength and aggressiveness to bully his opponent. Against bigger players, his advantage is entirely negated. Remember,his best defensive performance was against Chris Paul in the playoffs. It was laughable the past couple of years when we've assigned him to guard guys like 'Melo. His lack of size and strength really shows up in those match-ups.

Anyway, Gustavo Ayon signed with New Orleans, so we're not bringing him in.

I'd be fine with signing Wilson Chandler, but if we do it long term it probably means that either Granger or George Hill needs to move on.

I'd also be fine with a one-year deal for JR Smith if it keeps Dahntay off the floor.

MyFavMartin
12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I like the idea of Yi Jianlian and JR Smith.

PGisthefuture
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Dahntay's true position is SG. Yes, he can defend a lot of SF's, but he's at his best guarding smaller guys who spend most of their time on the perimeter. He needs to be able to use his strength and aggressiveness to bully his opponent. Against bigger players, his advantage is entirely negated. Remember,his best defensive performance was against Chris Paul in the playoffs. It was laughable the past couple of years when we've assigned him to guard guys like 'Melo. His lack of size and strength really shows up in those match-ups.

Anyway, Gustavo Ayon signed with New Orleans, so we're not bringing him in.

I'd be fine with signing Wilson Chandler, but if we do it long term it probably means that either Granger or George Hill needs to move on.

I'd also be fine with a one-year deal for JR Smith if it keeps Dahntay off the floor.

I agree, I don't think bringing in Chandler will necessarily mean we have to get rid of anybody though. The whole point would be to add more depth. Losing Granger and gaining Chandler wouldn't be an improvement unless the guy we traded Granger for was Eric Gordon. A bench of George Hill, Lance Stephenson, Wilson Chandler, Tyler Hansbrough, and Jeff Foster/Lou Amundson would be one heck of a second unit. I'm beginning to wonder if this is why the front office saved the money they did, just in case the guys overseas came back. If so, another smart move.

RLeWorm
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
damn, we need a defensive presence down low. I wasn't all for deandre jordan, but now after watching the 2 preseason games, i wish we had him instead of hibbert.

CableKC
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
They're at or over the cap today.

Next year they're around 14 million under as it stands today.
If the Simon's didn't have the RFA rule....then I'd decide on either:

1 ) "standing pat", getting a stop gap Scorer at the Wing for 1 year and then making a run next season at EJ.

or

2 ) if EJ is out of the question...then make a slightly above average offer and run at Wilson Chandler.

I will be fine with either...but would prefer to make a run at a difference maker like EJ then add Chandler.

CableKC
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
damn, we need a defensive presence down low. I wasn't all for deandre jordan, but now after watching the 2 preseason games, i wish we had him instead of hibbert.
Yeah.....20/20 hindsight is always so clear. As I said in the Random Thoughts thread....I love Hibbert as a Player and Person...but I'd rather have McGee or DeAndre. I still think that Hibbert is a quality Starting Center....but with the limitations in his games...I think that he only has a ceiling as a "slightly above average" Center....whereas with McGee and DeAndre...their is a much higher ceiling.

CableKC
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I agree, I don't think bringing in Chandler will necessarily mean we have to get rid of anybody though. The whole point would be to add more depth. Losing Granger and gaining Chandler wouldn't be an improvement unless the guy we traded Granger for was Eric Gordon. A bench of George Hill, Lance Stephenson, Wilson Chandler, Tyler Hansbrough, and Jeff Foster/Lou Amundson would be one heck of a second unit. I'm beginning to wonder if this is why the front office saved the money they did, just in case the guys overseas came back. If so, another smart move.
Wilson Chandler is a RFA.....the Simon's won't allow Bird to poach him from the Nuggets.

The only option is JR Smith...he's a UFA.

Can JR Smith create his own shot?

Despite being a knucklehead....if he's a scorer/chucker or whatever you want to call what he and JCraw are referred to....if he's a 3 month rental....I can see Bird doing that.

IndyPacer
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I like DeShawn Stevenson and Wilson Chandler. I think DeShawn signed with the Nets already.

I think JR Smith is a jackass. We already have Lance Stephenson to take care of that role for the team.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I think JR Smith is a jackass. We already have Lance Stephenson to take care of that role for the team.

:picard:

tadscout
12-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I'd love Chandler to be our scoring threat off the bench - BUT he is a RFA, and most likely accept the qualifying offer in march to finish out the season. Once next off-season starts I hope we look into him.

wintermute
12-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Willie Green signed by Atlanta

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2011/12/22/2655410/hawks-sign-willie-green

I thought it strange that he hadn't been signed yet.

Hicks
12-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd love Chandler to be our scoring threat off the bench - BUT he is a RFA, and most likely accept the qualifying offer in march to finish out the season. Once next off-season starts I hope we look into him.

Oh, is he restricted? Well, nevermind then; Simon won't allow us to even try.

CableKC
12-22-2011, 11:45 PM
at this point....if Bird wants a chucker/scorer, JR Smith is the only option. For a 4 month stint....id think that he can behave :shrug:

dal9
12-23-2011, 12:06 AM

heard the (supposed) fact that pacers will not bid on RFAs the other day...i know that it people are tired of the CBA talk: but if teams came to the agreement not to bid on RFAs, or even if the teams just agreed not to bid on Pacers' RFAs if the Pacers' didn't bid on their own RFAs, that could be seen as collusion to violate the provisions of the CBA.

PGisthefuture
12-23-2011, 12:10 AM
You guys think there's any chance we go after Mickael Pietrus? I mean we could probably get him for cheap and he could be an upgrade over Dahntay as far as scoring goes. Pietrus is more of a shooter I think anyways....

dal9
12-23-2011, 12:39 AM
^the internets say Pietrus likely to Celtics...

pezasied182
12-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Chandler would be an awesome addition but that isn't happening. JR wouldn't be a bad pick up either, it wouldn't be until March. By then, the needs of the team would be better understood and if a shooter was desperately needed, JR would probably get signed in a second. However, when he comes back and the Pacers are rolling, they'll probably stand pat.

tadscout
12-23-2011, 01:13 AM

I know you don't like the policy but-

Going after a good RFA is dangerous, especially for a small market team. If you are going to pry away the RFA you'll have to overpay. Smart cap management and not over paying for players will give us the most flexibility to build a team.

The policy is just as much about not overpaying for talent as it is out of courtesy.

Freddie fan
12-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Jon Diebler.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I like this idea if the Pacers could pick him up inexpensively since Portland is loaded with experienced guards and doesn't need him this season, so he's playing in Greece. Not the greatest athlete, but hit more than 50% of his 3-point tries last season (wow) and is 6-6. If the Pacers want an outside shooting specialist, why not Diebler?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jon-Diebler-1410/

PacerPride33
12-23-2011, 01:56 AM
If you want a 3pt specialist then go for Michael redd

Scot Pollard
12-23-2011, 01:58 AM
I want Mickael Pietrus now. He's the the backup wing we need.

PGisthefuture
12-23-2011, 02:05 AM
If you want a 3pt specialist then go for Michael redd

It doesn't look like we're showing much interest in him anymore. Hoping that Pietrus is one of those guys that Larry was waiting for. Let's face it he is a better backup SF than Dahntay. If Stephenson goes back to the end of the bench then our bench would look like this: George Hill, Dahntay Jones, Mikael Pietrus, Tyler Hansbrough, Foster/Amundson. That's quite a solid second unit.

MyFavMartin
12-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Manny Harris? Released by Cleveland.

wintermute
12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, there's a thread on him

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=67897

Reminds me of Monta, well a homeless man's Monta anyway. Could develop into a second unit gunner type of player eventually.

naptownmenace
12-23-2011, 12:14 PM
It doesn't look like we're showing much interest in him anymore. Hoping that Pietrus is one of those guys that Larry was waiting for. Let's face it he is a better backup SF than Dahntay. If Stephenson goes back to the end of the bench then our bench would look like this: George Hill, Dahntay Jones, Mikael Pietrus, Tyler Hansbrough, Foster/Amundson. That's quite a solid second unit.

Pietrus, like Michael Redd, has knee problems and can't ever seem to stay healthy. I wish they would've just offered Crawford more money. He would've been a great fit whether he came off the bench or started.

12-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Agree. A player with the skill-set of Crawford IS what we are missing. We should have just resigned Mike Dunleavy.

PGisthefuture
12-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Agree. A player with the skill-set of Crawford IS what we are missing. We should have just resigned Mike Dunleavy.

I liked Dunleavy, but Crawford and Dunleavy are not even close to the same player.

naptownmenace
12-23-2011, 05:11 PM
A couple of young names I haven't seen mentioned are Larry Owens and Othyus Jeffers.

Owens played in a game against the Pacers late last year and played well. He's 6'7" and has good range on his jumper out to the 3-point line. He was just waived by the Wizards. He'd probably sign for the league minimum.

http://www.nba.com/video/teams/wizards/2011/04/06/OwensHighlightswmv-1621985/index.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KoeElw3p70o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>