PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Donnie Walsh Wednesday

TheSauceMaster
11-02-2004, 08:47 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatNBA?event_id=6396

Not only has Donnie Walsh been an assistant coach, general manager and now, CEO/President, for the Pacers, he has been the franchise's constant builder and believer. Walsh will drop in on Wednesday at 2:40 for a live chat with fans. Send in your questions now and check back on Wednesday to chat with Donnie.

Anthem
11-03-2004, 12:01 PM
I won't be available... somebody ask about:

-A medical exception.
-Bo Outlaw

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 02:46 PM
:bump:

Less than 1 hr away :)

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
I won't be available... somebody ask about:

-A medical exception.
-Bo Outlaw

Well I dunno if anyone else did but I submitted the question , can't say if it will get answered ..hopefully someone else asked it.

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Chris (Denver, CO): First things first, I think you were a great GM and some of the moves you made were nothing short of tremendous...and the reason the Pacers have been at the top of the East for many years and will be for years to come. My question is, What all does your role as CEO and President entail and how much of the GM duties do you work on with Larry?

Donnie Walsh: Being the CEO is not much of a change, because I had been the President, which means taking care of the entire franchise. The change with Larry is that now I have Larry who is responsible for the basketball side. Since he's new to some of the areas, I'm working with him on those things, to help out, on things like the salary cap and luxury tax and things like that.

Chris Seymour: Donnie, You have done a great job keeping the Pacers at the top of the NBA. Can this team survive early in the season with all of the injuries?

Donnie Walsh: That will be the true test for us now, because we have a lot of injuries. I thought before the injuries we'd be on of the 6 to 8 teams that could win the NBA Championship. That is going to be tougher with the injuries. We do have great depth, but with six or seven players out, that is being sorely tested. I think it will be rocky for us early, because of the injuries, but then it will be a test to see if we can come together and have a great season once the injuries are over. The players will come back.

Donnie Walsh: That will be the true test for us now, because we have a lot of injuries. I thought before the injuries we'd be on of the 6 to 8 teams that could win the NBA Championship. That is going to be tougher with the injuries. We do have great depth, but with six or seven players out, that is being sorely tested. I think it will be rocky for us early, because of the injuries, but then it will be a test to see if we can come together and have a great season once the injuries are over. The players will come back.

Kevin (Fredericton, Canada) : Do you think with the frontcourt that we have now that we can compete with Detroit, Minnesota and San Antonio, among others, or are we still missing that one key big man to win a championship?

Donnie Walsh: I think we have adequate front court strength against those teams you mentioned, particularly if rookie David Harrison can give us some minutes. I have no problem with our big men compared to the rest of the league, with the exception of Miami with Shaquille and Houston with Yao Ming. Other than that, I think we can match up with most teams.

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 03:47 PM
North Bergen, NJ: Donnie, How long do you believe it will take for David Harrison to make a meaningful contribution to the Pacers?

Donnie Walsh: Most rookies don't make meaningful contributions immediately, but in David's case he did go through his junior year of college and has experience and maturity. For 290 pounds he is extremely agile, athletic and a very quick jumper. Once he learns how to deal with the tricks of the veteran players, and also with the way referees will call fouls, then I think he will be fine. But that usually takes at least half a season.

Steve, Helsinki: Hi Donnie!! Greetings from Finland! First I wanna say thanks and well done in sticking behind Ron Artest when Peja was on the market! How big of a role does Artest take in the team leadership? Could you take it as a blessing in disguise that Jermaine and Reggie might be out for a few games together to see how Ron handles being the main focal point on the court. Good luck with bringing all of us devoted, passionate fans a long overdue championship!!!

Donnie Walsh: It's a luxury to have a player like Ronnie that can do that. He can play a complementary game or a leading role game, and for right now, he will be our focal point, as long as Jermaine doesn't play. Ronnie will most likely be our lowpost option which draws the double-teams. So, Ronnie has to make the right plays and he can do that. With Jermaine in the game, he is the focal point and Ronnie has more freedom to play off that. But Ronnie can do both.

Patrick (Albany,NY): This is not necessarily a Pacers question, but what players in the NBA do you think would someday make a great NBA head coach?

Donnie Walsh: Mark Jackson. Eric Snow. Bruce Bowen from San Antonio. Steve Kerr. I'm picking all these little guys. Those would be the leading guys.

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Jackson (Cincinnati) : Last season, perimeter shooting was a clear issue to be addressed. With the addition of Stephen Jackson, the development of Fred Jones and Jamaal Tinsley as outside shooters, and the potential of James Jones, do you consider the situation to be addressed, or is there still a missing piece?

Donnie Walsh: I think we have adequate outside shooting, but you can always have more. Jonathan Bender and Austin Croshere can shoot the ball at the 4, and that can be helpful. And obviously Reggie will come back after his injury and he's as good as it gets out there.

Bryant Williams, Indpls: Looks like Pollard has lost some weight. But even more importantly, he is running up and down the court better. What will Pollard's effect be on this season?

Donnie Walsh: He's getting a chance to play, and he's becoming more comfortable in our situation. Last year he didn't play alot and when he got into games, he was in a non-comfort zone. This year, I think he'll be more comfortable.

mike (naptown): Thanks for all the great work that you do to make the Pacers one of the best teams and organizations in the NBA. Now, on to this season, what kind of minutes and impact do you think the coaching staff expects to receive from Jonathan Bender this year? Thanks again.

Donnie Walsh: If he's healthy he'll get significant minutes. He's 7-feet tall is extremely talented and is a lowpost player and a three-point shooter, and that's extremely hard to find, a player with those skills. We all have our fingers crossed for Jonathan and his health, because we know if healthy, he can be a very good player and have a big impact on our team.

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Charles(Indy/Greenwood) : Donnie, Did Jeff Fosters injury make a difference in who we kept coming out of camp?

Donnie Walsh: Yes. Because of the injuries to Jeff and Jermaine and Jonathan we felt we need another big man, so we kept John Edwards a 7-foot center from Kent State.

Ben (Carlisle, PA): Mr. Walsh, what an honor. I've been a Pacer fan since the day big Clemon Johnson came into my second grade class at Guion Creek elementary for a visit. The next day, my father took me to see the Pacers play the Suns at MSA. Immediately, I was sold and began enjoying the likes of Don Buse, Louis Orr, Herb Williams, Billy Knight, Stipo, etc. I was wondering, was there any single moment like this that sold you on the world's greatest game?

Donnie Walsh: My big moment, probably when I was a young man in New York and my father took me to Madison Square Garden to see the games. When I was an assistant coach at South Carolina, I became aware of Indiana basketball and always felt that I would love to be a part of it. So when I got the opporunity to come to Indiana, it really was a dream come true.

Donnie Walsh: I want to thank everyone who posted questions, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to answer all of them. For all those Pacers fans out there, don't be discouraged during the early part of our season, while we have all these injuries. Because the players will heal and come back. And I think we have a chance to have an excellent team as the season goes on.

able
11-03-2004, 05:16 PM
20 minutes, none of my questions, sad

but hey, it was 20 minutes but to say "serious" questions were answered?

TheSauceMaster
11-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Well I don't think Donnie could have held out much longer , I mean he went 20 mins without smoking :laugh::laugh: