PDA

View Full Version : You can't call it Conseco much longer...It is now..... Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Roaming Gnome
12-20-2011, 07:42 AM
By Heather Gillers
http://www.indystar.com/article/20111220/LOCAL18/112200318/You-can-t-call-Conseco-Fieldhouse-much-longer?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Conseco Fieldhouse is going away.

OK, not the actual home of the Indiana Pacers. Just the name.

A new name for the NBA venue will be unveiled at a news conference at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at the fieldhouse, a source in the know has told The Indianapolis Star.

Nobody is officially divulging the new name, but here's some fodder for speculation: Conseco's namesake, the Carmel-based insurer formerly called Conseco Inc., changed its name in March 2010 to CNO Financial Group. CNO executives started talks with the Pacers about renaming the arena but ultimately decided the time wasn't right.

Conseco Fieldhouse, built by Mel and Herb Simon, opened in 1999 when the Pacers moved from their former home, Market Square Arena.

Pacers and CNO officials are expected to be on hand for Thursday's announcement. Pacers Sports & Entertainment President Jim Morris could not be reached for comment late Monday.

But one Downtown player, the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, may have jumped the gun. Its website boasts about its proximity to Conseco, "recently renamed CNO Financial Fieldhouse."

Hmm. Inside information? Or just a hunch?

Maybe they were waiting for J'OB to leave so we didn't have to hear the "C-NO winning" jokes to go with the name of the building...

Steagles
12-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I'll still call it Conseco

Hypnotiq
12-20-2011, 07:55 AM
damn i hope its not something stupid

Shade
12-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Booooo! You just know it's going to be something lame. :tongue:

Pacers13Colts12
12-20-2011, 08:11 AM
How dumb. I want it to stay Conseco Fieldhouse. I will never get used to whatever new name. Seems too soon to the season to rename it now. Are they going to be able to update the court and all the logos by the 26th? I doubt it!

Foul on Smits
12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
CNO No!

Roaming Gnome
12-20-2011, 08:20 AM
If it ends up being "CNO Financial Fieldhouse" It isn't that bad to me.... People did EVENTUALLY stop calling the RCA Dome, "The Hoosier Dome".

I'm honestly surprised that CNO let it go this long considering they're paying that much loot to market a product that doesn't exist any longer.

Times change...

glazedham42
12-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't have a problem with a name change, but "CNO Financial Fieldhouse" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. It's too much of a mouthful. If they do that, people will just keep calling it Conseco, because it's faster, easier to say, and more familiar.

beast23
12-20-2011, 08:36 AM
How long was the original agreement supposed to last? I don't know why, but I thought it was for 10 years.

cramerica
12-20-2011, 09:01 AM
They should have called it "Indiana Fieldhouse" from the beginning. Stupid marketing ruins great names (or potential great names ;)) to places.

Pacers13Colts12
12-20-2011, 09:20 AM
NBA 2K has been on this for years. Wait? It's not called Pacers Arena???

31andonly
12-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I'd be ok with CNO Fieldhouse. CNO Financial Fieldhouse is too much...sounds dumb imo.

However, a simple "The Fieldhouse" would always be my favourite...

duke dynamite
12-20-2011, 09:23 AM
I always call it "The Fieldhouse". I've never just called it "Conseco".

Anyway, I noticed something Friday and Sunday at Fan Jam, and you may notice it in Heywoode's pics thread.

The area on the court surrounding the CONSECO FIELDHOUSE text was slightly discolored than the rest of the floor. I thought two things...

New court/design.
They're finally changing the name.

Take it for what you will, I got called crazy because I was apparently the only person who noticed it.

Unclebuck
12-20-2011, 09:32 AM

That is what people said when the Hoosier dome was changed to the RCA dome.

If they do change it to CNO Financial Fieldhouse - it might take a year or two, but everyone will start calling it that.

When the Fieldhouse was first named Conseco Fieldhouse - it sounded really weird, and now it seems perfect.

Same with Lucas Oil - at first it just didn't seem right, and after a few years now it seems yeah that is right .

Unclebuck
12-20-2011, 09:33 AM
How long was the original agreement supposed to last? I don't know why, but I thought it was for 10 years.

I thought it was 20 or so

Reginald
12-20-2011, 09:51 AM

That's what they said about Ayr-Way and the Hoosier Dome.

I'm not too torn up about it. I'd argue the name has never carried much emotional weight with the vast majority of Pacers fans. The Coliseum and MSA: those are names that pull at the heartstrings. As for me, I think I'll manage to get over losing both names of our Fieldhouse. And by "both names" I mean most of us still can't figure out whether it's pronounced cun-SEE-coh or cun-SAY-coh.

Reginald
12-20-2011, 09:55 AM
If they do change it to CNO Financial Fieldhouse - it might take a year or two, but everyone will start calling it that.

I'm guessing we'll all start calling it CNO. It has a comfortably familiar three-syllable ring to it, don't you think?

http://www.regionroundball.com/geocities/review/msa_bord.gif

Kegboy
12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, I've already run into this at work. Do you say "See-En-Oh" or "See-No"?

CoolHand
12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
... People did EVENTUALLY stop calling the RCA Dome, "The Hoosier Dome".

Speak for yourself... I was never able to fully stop calling it "The Hoosier Dome", although I did try. Likewise, I still catching myself saying "Deer Creek" instead of "Verizon Wireless."

Trader Joe
12-20-2011, 10:30 AM
So was this the big announcement on the Pacers timeline for December 22nd? If so, lame.

ColorWerx
12-20-2011, 10:32 AM
University of Phoenix Fieldhouse.

:D

(This is coming from a LONG-time AZ Cardinals fan who had to put up with a college name on a stadium after enduring 20+ years of my team playing in a college stadium.)

Ownagedood
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
It can't be worse than Lucas Oil Stadium.

Though I will admit it ends up fitting nicely with the race car scheme inside and being in Indy.

Larry Staverman
12-20-2011, 11:16 AM
As long as they are giving money to Simon to help the Pacers financially they can call it whatever they want.

Brad8888
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Maybe the big announcement is that the Pacers are going to be the first NBA team to have corporate sponsorship, becoming the CNO Financial Analysts instead of the Pacers...:laugh:

Imagine the marketing possibilities...:D

Kegboy
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
So was this the big announcement on the Pacers timeline for December 22nd? If so, lame.

I saw an ad in the paper that the 22nd announcement is some "ticket deal". :whoknows:

BRushWithDeath
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Speak for yourself... I was never able to fully stop calling it "The Hoosier Dome", although I did try. Likewise, I still catching myself saying "Deer Creek" instead of "Verizon Wireless."Well now you've got to condition yourself to "Klipsch Music Center".

BillS
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
[/B]Well now you've got to condition yourself to "Klipsch Music Center".

Sounds like a klezmer museum.

Tom White
12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
People did EVENTUALLY stop calling the RCA Dome, "The Hoosier Dome".

Not me. I understand the reasoning (read that as the DOLLAR$) behind naming rights and such, but I have still always had a hard time with it. I always called the Dome either just "The Dome" or Hoosier Dome. I refer to the home of the Pacers as "The Fieldhouse" and the home of the Colts as "The Stadium".

I guess I just hate the idea that things are as they are, and that corporate naming rights are a financially benificial and accepted thing.

I do find myself making exceptions to my own rule at times. For example, Wrigley Field has had that name for so long it just doesn't sound right to call it anything else. And that is from a Reds fan.

In any case, the naming of a place has never induced me to buy the sponsors products.

Tom White
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
They should have called it "Indiana Fieldhouse" from the beginning. Stupid marketing ruins great names (or potential great names ;)) to places.

Or given that the team basically only promotes itself to the city, they could have used Indianapolis instead of Indiana.

Tom White
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
That is what people said when the Hoosier dome was changed to the RCA dome.

When the Fieldhouse was first named Conseco Fieldhouse - it sounded really weird, and now it seems perfect.

Same with Lucas Oil - at first it just didn't seem right, and after a few years now it seems yeah that is right .

Or simply CNO Fieldhouse.

Hicks
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
CNO Financial Fieldhouse has too many syllables for my taste. I doubt I'll ever start referring to it by that full name on a regular basis.

Tom White
12-20-2011, 11:42 AM
It can't be worse than Lucas Oil Stadium.

Though I will admit it ends up fitting nicely with the race car scheme inside and being in Indy.

I do know people who just call it the Oil Can.

pizza guy
12-20-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't really like the name "Lucas Oil Stadium," and I usually call it "Lucas" or just "The Luke." But, because it was an entirely new building, I haven't had any trouble adjusting to a name change.

This seems strange because it's the same building. I don't have any sentiment toward Conseco, but it's just grown into the name of that building. I'll probably just stick with "The Fieldhouse." Maybe I'll get used to calling it the "CNO Fieldhouse."

Hopefully that guess is wrong, and they come out with something else entirely. Just don't shove something like "The Q" down our throats, please.

I Love P
12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
So, this is what the "Big Announcement" is for Thursday.

imawhat
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Sunsetter Retractable Awning Fieldhouse

duke dynamite
12-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that this was that big of a deal. I figured if it helps at all to keep the lights on and the heat cranking nobody would care what it was called.

Pacersalltheway10
12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Now let's change the jerseys and begin a new era

Day-V
12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
United Center South.

Bball
12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
C-No Evil

Sandman21
12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
I always call it "The Fieldhouse". I've never just called it "Conseco".

Anyway, I noticed something Friday and Sunday at Fan Jam, and you may notice it in Heywoode's pics thread.

The area on the court surrounding the CONSECO FIELDHOUSE text was slightly discolored than the rest of the floor. I thought two things...

New court/design.
They're finally changing the name.

Take it for what you will, I got called crazy because I was apparently the only person who noticed it.

I noticed that on Friday too, but I just thought I was crazy.:dance:

PacersHomer
12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
It'll always be Conseco to me, but I understand why CNO will change it.

gummy
12-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Sunsetter Retractable Awning Fieldhouse

:rotflmao:

kielbeze
12-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I saw an ad in the paper that the 22nd announcement is some "ticket deal". :whoknows:

Yeah they changed the ad on pacers.com the big announcement for the 22nd now says big ticket announcement .

Trader Joe
12-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I noticed my season tix for the home opener are half price.

imbtyler
12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
They could change it to the Pfizer Love Shack.

I, personally, feel "HOOSIER FIELDHOUSE" is the best name of all. I've noticed a lot of out-of-staters don't even know what a Hoosier is. This may or may not improve awareness of our weird, yet classic citizen nickname. Might **** off a few Purdue fans, though.

BringJackBack
12-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I will just refer to it as 'CNO' and pronounce it as 'C-N-O', not 'C-No'. :laugh:

Richard_Skull
12-20-2011, 05:13 PM
C-NO FTW!!!!!!lol

how about Boomshakalaka Fieldhouse?

Tom White
12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
C-NO FTW!!!!!!lol

how about Boomshakalaka Fieldhouse?

Shouldn't that be Boomer's-shakalaka?

The Sleeze
12-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Pacers Sports and Entertainment has bought two domain names:

CNOFieldhouse.com
http://whois.domaintools.com/cnofieldhouse.com

CNOFinancialFieldhouse.com
http://whois.domaintools.com/cnofinancialfieldhouse.com

I hope its the first one.

Hicks
12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
I wish they'd at least call it The Fieldhouse of CNO Financial if they must have the name in there.

Ozwalt72
12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I'll probably pronounce CNO like this...

CoNsecO

gilpdawg
12-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Speak for yourself... I was never able to fully stop calling it "The Hoosier Dome", although I did try. Likewise, I still catching myself saying "Deer Creek" instead of "Verizon Wireless."
It will always be Deer Creek to me. Verizon Wireless just sounds stupid.

PaceBalls
12-21-2011, 04:13 AM
C N O Financial Fieldhouse... God, that's like 8 syllables. What a horrible name.

I get that the team needs sponsors, but I still hate it. I have always just called it the Fieldhouse.

IndyPacer
12-21-2011, 05:07 AM
These corporate sponsor names make me sick to my stomach.

AusPACER
12-21-2011, 05:36 AM
I think if it goes with CNO Fieldhouse it will be okay. People will just call it either CNO or 'the Fieldhouse'.

Just don't make it as bad as the 'Time Warner Cable Arena'.

Eleazar
12-21-2011, 06:17 AM
To me what made the name Conseco acceptable was because it wasn't obvious, like some arenas. If you were weren't familiar with typical naming practices it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to think it was named after someone important. If it is CNO or Conseco Financial I would hate it. It would be like calling Wrigley Field Wrigly Gum Field.

aero
12-21-2011, 07:34 AM
I guess it will be pronounced See-en-ohh Fieldhouse ?

most will probably pronounce it as "see-no" Fieldhouse

...yeah ill just refer to it as Conseco Fieldhouse :p

Trophy
12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I just call it "The Fieldhouse".

Who knows, maybe CNO will give 2K the rights to use the name in the game and not "Pacers Arena".

I also noticed that the United Center changed its colors to blue. I know Continental bought them so maybe they'll change the name in the near future.

EDIT: Like Duke, I noticed the CONSECO FIELDHOUSE in green on the court looked less bold, but I didn't think anything was different. Maybe they just wanted to change the font. For the Fever games, it was still the same bold.

duke dynamite
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
EDIT: Like Duke, I noticed the CONSECO FIELDHOUSE in green on the court looked less bold, but I didn't think anything was different. Maybe they just wanted to change the font. For the Fever games, it was still the same bold.
It wasn't the text. It was the hardwood tile around it. It was discolored and didn't match the rest of the floor.

Trophy
12-21-2011, 10:18 AM
It wasn't the text. It was the hardwood tile around it. It was discolored and didn't match the rest of the floor.

I knew something was different, but I couldn't figure out what.

HC
12-21-2011, 01:19 PM
I just call it "The Fieldhouse".

Who knows, maybe CNO will give 2K the rights to use the name in the game and not "Pacers Arena".

I also noticed that the United Center changed its colors to blue. I know Continental bought them so maybe they'll change the name in the near future.

I wish they would just call it "The Fieldhouse" and then just tag their CNO crap everwhere.

Scot Pollard
12-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I can't imagine them doing much to change all the signs right now or during the season.

I hope they keep everything the same as far as the signs go.

http://www.mswoods.com/in/Indianapolis/Pictures/Indianapolis_Sports/Conseco_Field_House_Indiana.jpg

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles18367.jpg

Maybe for now, they'll just turn the lights off in O, S, E, and C and just have the letters C, N, O turned on.

It's unfortunate the name is being changed.

Scot Pollard
12-21-2011, 05:48 PM
A very good article regarding the sign changes and the CIB will not be paying for it as they shouldn't. I guess CNO has it covered...literally.

It's kind of sad, but it's still the home of the Pacers and a great place and the same building and that's all what matters. Still as great as the day it opened.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/30037531/detail.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- A new name could soon be atop Conseco Fieldhouse in downtown Indianapolis more than a year after the namesake company rebranded itself.

When the Carmel-based insurance company announced its new name of CNO Financial Group in March 2010, it said executives had started talks with the Pacers about renaming the arena that opened in 1999.

A CNO spokesman in Chicago confirmed to RTV6 that a news conference would be held Thursday to discuss the issue of the fieldhouse's name. The Pacers said a news conference would be held at 10:30 a.m.

A black banner was spotted hanging over the arena name on the Pennsylvania Street side.

CNO began phasing out use of the Conseco name after it went into a $61 billion bankruptcy reorganization in 2002.

The company is in the 13th year of a $40 million, 20-year naming-rights deal for the fieldhouse.

Capital Improvement Board spokesman Robert Vane stressed the CIB would not have to pick up the costs of changing signs to reflect the new name.

As for the quadrant signs directing visitors to downtown attractions, Downtown Indianapolis Inc. owns them and will pay for them.

Butler marketing professor Dan McQuiston said renaming now will be an advantage to CNO Financial, since all the Super Bowl visitors coming to Indianapolis will have a great chance to know the company's new name.

"There's an advantage to that, because you're going to have a lot of people here all at once and they're going to be able to get their new name out to a fair amount of people in a fairly short period of time, which they wouldn't have had that opportunity before," he said.

Conseco bought the fieldhouse naming rights in 1998. The fieldhouse opened in November 1999, replacing Market Square Arena.

MagicRat
12-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I can't imagine them doing much to change all the signs right now or during the season.

I hope they keep everything the same as far as the signs go.

http://www.mswoods.com/in/Indianapolis/Pictures/Indianapolis_Sports/Conseco_Field_House_Indiana.jpg

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles18367.jpg

Maybe for now, they'll just turn the lights off in O, S, E, and C and just have the letters C, N, O turned on.

It's unfortunate the name is being changed.

http://twitter.com/#!/MRat731/status/149580928883236865

Scot Pollard
12-21-2011, 06:26 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/MRat731/status/149580928883236865

In that article I posted, they've began covering everything.

I'll swing past the Fieldhouse tomorrow to see it in person. By then, the sheets will be taken off.

I'm sure they'll tweak the vertical sign on Pennsylvania and not actually replace the whole thing. That's make no sense.

I wonder if they already changed the text on the roof.

Pig Nash
12-21-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm not that worried about this. Will probably just call it the Fieldhouse, though I tend to do that now already. Just be glad there's not sponsorships on the jerseys. Anything less than that, I'm perfectly fine with.

Slick Pinkham
12-21-2011, 07:19 PM
You think you have it bad, the football stadium in Miami changes its name every year or so

Originally it was called
Dolphins Stadium,
then Joe Robbie Stadium
then Pro Player Stadium
then Pro Player Park
then Dolphin Stadium
then Dolphins Stadium (again)- changing all the signage to add an "s"!
then Land Shark Stadium
then Sun Life Stadium

and now something else, since the Sun Life company is leaving the US.

IAmHoosier
12-21-2011, 08:36 PM
I can't help but think of the movie BASEketball with Preparation H Arena and Maxi Tampon Stadium. Too bad none of those companies bought the naming rights since they sound much better than CNO Financial Fieldhouse.

PacerPenguins
12-22-2011, 11:24 AM
well we will know in 5 minutes

PacerPenguins
12-22-2011, 11:26 AM
watch it live http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/press_conference_2011_12_22.html

PacerPenguins
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
ok good job.... the damn sound doesn't work

Wilk39
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
No audio.

PacerPenguins
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
man the big announcement turns into a big dud

luis3ep
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
bankers life fieldhouse.. founded and headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Is a Subsidiary of CNO Financial Group.

Roaming Gnome
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
YUCK!!! I was ready for CNO Financial Fieldhouse... BankersLife Fieldhouse. WTF!?!

Unclebuck
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.ibj.com/article?articleId=31532

Downtown arena's new name: Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Francesca Jarosz December 22, 2011

The venue long known as Conseco Fieldhouse will take on the moniker of CNO Financial’s most prominent brand: Bankers Life.

Officials from Carmel-based insurer CNO Financial announced the name change to Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Thursday morning. The company changed its name from Conseco Inc. last year but didn't immediately change the identity of the arena where the Indiana Pacers have played since 1999

CNO Financial has seven years remaining in a $40 million naming-rights sponsorship. Some local hotels recently listed the venue as CNO Financial Fieldhouse on their websites, fueling speculation about the new name.

But CNO Financial executives said they picked the name of their Chicago-based subsidiary, Bankers Life and Casualty Co., because it has the broadest national reach among the holding company’s three brands. Those brands also include insurance companies Colonial Penn and Washington National and fixed-income investment advisor 40/86 Advisors.

Bankers Life targets middle-income earners near or in retirement. It has 1.3 million policyholders across the U.S. and 5,600 agents in 250 U.S. locations.

It’s also CNO Financial's most important business, selling a mix of life insurance, annuities and health insurance as a supplement to Medicare. Bankers Life produced revenue in 2010 of $2.4 billion, or 58 percent of CNO's total sales.

Bankers Life is even more important for CNO's profits, contributing 79 percent of the company's 2010 earnings before interest and taxes.

“By aligning [the fieldhouse] with our core business and consumer-facing brands going forward, we’ll be promoting that name in ways that we didn’t before,” said CNO Financial CEO Ed Bonach. “Seven years is still a long time to have the Bankers Life Fieldhouse take hold.”

Sports-marketing experts told IBJ last year that it was unusual CNO Financial didn’t change the fieldhouse’s name in May 2010, when shareholders voted to change the holding company’s name. Some questioned then whether CNO Financial was trying to get out of the 20-year naming-rights deal.

But Bonach said switching the fieldhouse moniker is simply the “natural next rebranding move” after officials worked to phase out the Conseco name in its holding company and subsidiaries. The company also merged three insurance companies—two of which had Conseco in the name—under the Washington National brand.

Transitioning from one venue name to another can prove challenging. The home of the Miami Dolphins, for example, has been named Joe Robbie Stadium, Pro Player Park, Pro Player Stadium, Dolphin Stadium, Dolphins Stadium, Sun Life Stadium and Land Shark Stadium to reflect various changes within the franchise and among its sponsors.

Last year, Pacers Sports & Entertainment President Jim Morris told IBJ that CNO officials were proud of the Conseco Fieldhouse name.

CNO “has been a great partner, and are very committed to the Fieldhouse,” Morris said at the time. “They’ve told us the name will not change.”

CNO Financial will spend an undisclosed amount—Bonach said it’s less than $1 million—to change signage at the facility.
The company also will launch a marketing plan Thursday that includes print, radio and TV ads and direct mail pieces to spread awareness of the new name.

Scott Perry, who serves as chief operating officer of CNO and president of Bankers Life, wouldn’t disclose more details about the campaign but said it would “leverage the excitement and enthusiasm around the Super Bowl.”

The company also will offer a promotion to encourage fans to purchase tickets for the Pacers’ first 2012 home game against the Charlotte Bobcats on Jan. 7, offering prices of $1, $7 and $12, to reflect the game date of 1/7/12.

And CNO plans to tout its other brands throughout the fieldhouse, including through a mural depicting the family of companies.
The signage is being unveiled Thursday, and the rebranding of the fieldhouse will be complete in January.

Roaming Gnome
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Wish there was some fu***ng audio!

naptownmenace
12-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I wish they'd at least call it The Fieldhouse of CNO Financial if they must have the name in there.

I don't like that at all.

CNO (C-No) Fieldhouse would've been my preferrence. Banker's Life Fieldhouse is okay though.

Unclebuck
12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Gnome - hope it is OK, I changed the thread title a little.

Yeah Bankers Life fieldhouse doesn't sound too good. maybe I just need to get used to it.

Aw Heck
12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I guess for short, I'll call it Bankers. Or just the Fieldhouse.

It's too bad. Conseco Fieldhouse rolled off the tongue. Bankers Life Fieldhouse, not so much.

Gold
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm completely cool with Bankers Life.

LG33
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Bankers Life? I don't think the 99% are going to like this...

CoolHand
12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I wish Indianapolis had put together a bid to buy the naming rights and called it Indy Fieldhouse or something.... This new name sucks... :mad:

Unclebuck
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Although I rarely refer to where the pacers play. if someone asked me what I am doing tonight, I always say I'm going to the Pacers game. I never said I'm going to Conseco Fieldhouse.

HC
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Awful...enough said

Aw Heck
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Cavs fans (are there any left?) quickly started calling the Quicken Loans Arena "The Q."

Maybe we can call The Arena Formerly Known as Conseco "The Bank."

"I'm going to the Bank to watch a Pacers game."

bphil
12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Man, I'm so bummed we won't be able to call it "C-No." "Bankers" does sound much better than "Lucas Oil" however...

LG33
12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I can't believe people don't like it. The focus group overwhelmingly supported it.

http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/pennybags_testimony.jpg

Roaming Gnome
12-22-2011, 11:55 AM
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd505/ed605/that-s-just-turrible.jpg

aero
12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
wow dislike!

Dr. Hibbert
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Bankers Life: a reference to Dahntay Jones' jump shot?

Unclebuck
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
"I'm going to the Bank to watch a Pacers game."

OK, I'll try that out at Christmas dinner and see how it goes over. They'll probably think I've had a little too much to drink.

Grover
12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Man, I'm old....

Still call them Conseco, Deer Creek, IRP, Sears Tower...

...New Amsterdam, Constantinople...

...Ron Artest...

Dr. Awesome
12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
OK, I'll try that out at Christmas dinner and see how it goes over. They'll probably think I've had a little too much to drink.

Would they be wrong?

:-p

Ownagedood
12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
This is much worse than expected.... CNO is easy... Bankers life fieldhouse?? IDK...

We'll get used to it and end up liking it tho.

Brad8888
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Wonder if they will make a contribution to the Pacers Foundation every time a player makes a bank shot? :)

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I think Bankers Life is OK. I think it will save us from all the overused lame CNO jokes.

Here we go!

BoomBaby33
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Wonder if they will make a contribution to the Pacers Foundation every time a player makes a bank shot? :)

You can take that to the "BANK"! ;)

glazedham42
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I think Bankers Life is OK. I think it will save us from all the overused lame CNO jokes.

Here we go!

You can bank on that. :D

Dr. Awesome
12-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I dislike it, but I love the idea of calling it "The Bank".

glazedham42
12-22-2011, 12:07 PM

AWWHHHHH!!! You beat me to it!!! Hahaha

kielbeze
12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
I think the name is appropriate. Most times it seems as if our fans are on life support any way. Until T-shirts are flying around.

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
I think the name is appropriate. Most times it seems as if our fans are on life support any way. Until T-shirts are flying around.
:-o Free t-shirt?! I'm in.

Grover
12-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Meta World Fieldhouse

Trader Joe
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
What a stupid sounding name. CNO Fieldhouse would have been better.

Eddie Gill
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
What a truly awful name. This one far exceeded anything I was expecting. Terrible, terrible job.

Trophy
12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
It's still the Fieldhouse damn it!

MagicRat
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Bankers Life is giving out $1 balcony tickets and $12 club level to help everyone get over not liking the name....

http://www.bankerslifefieldhouse.com/news/bankers_life_announces_big_time_ticket_deal_for_ne w_year/

Sparhawk
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM

To add to that.

You can take that to the Bank...BankersLife!

meh.

The Bank or Fieldhouse are good nicknames.

Unclebuck
12-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Bankers Life is giving out $1 balcony tickets and $12 club level to help everyone get over not liking the name....

http://www.bankerslifefieldhouse.com/news/bankers_life_announces_big_time_ticket_deal_for_ne w_year/

I thought you were joking. I really did, although it wasn't one of your better jokes.

But I see it is true.

Kegboy
12-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't like the name any better than CNO, but it is the wiser move on their part. Anybody outside Indy would hear CNO and say WTF is that? From their perspective it's much better to go with a brand name.

That said, I'm calling it "the Bank" from now on. I know a lot of people say just call it the Fieldhouse, but I get that confused with Hinkle.

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Here we go...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/Pacers">Pacers</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/TheFieldhouse">TheFieldhouse</a> Game day giveaway idea: Porcelain Fieldhouses that have coin slots on the top of them. Get it?!</p>&mdash; Tony Laurenzana ✔ (@dukedynamite) <a href="https://twitter.com/dukedynamite/status/149894028039684096" data-datetime="2011-12-22T16:48:15+00:00">December 22, 2011</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wilk39
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm glad the name allows us to give it a nickname such as 'The Bank' instead of some of those American Airlines or Dunkin Donuts Center.

ColorWerx
12-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Meta World Fieldhouse

Pink Taco Fieldhouse.

(For those who don't know, there was a rumor going around about 5 years ago that the Pink Taco chain in the Phoenix area was going to buy the naming rights to what is now known as University of Phoenix Stadium. Some people still call it Pink Taco Stadium.)

Kegboy
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I wish Indianapolis had put together a bid to buy the naming rights and called it Indy Fieldhouse or something.... This new name sucks... :mad:

Well, it should be CIB Fieldhouse, considering they've given PS&E a lot more money than Conseco has.

PacersHomer
12-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Thug Life Fieldhouse

Hicks
12-22-2011, 01:15 PM
That said, I'm calling it "the Bank" from now on. I know a lot of people say just call it the Fieldhouse, but I get that confused with Hinkle.

I live in New Castle. The Fieldhouse is just a couple of blocks away from me.

Oliver
12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Banker's Life? WTF? Bankers are criminal thugs.

Hicks
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
So if we lose on a buzzer-beater, is it now a Bank robbery?

Peck
12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
BTW, someone needs to make sure that Scott Pollard doesn't read to far into this thread or he will see that the team is still having to give away tickets to get fans to come to the games.

cdash
12-22-2011, 01:25 PM
BTW, someone needs to make sure that Scott Pollard doesn't read to far into this thread or he will see that the team is still having to give away tickets to get fans to come to the games.

Hey, you have the bolded name. Make it happen. :laugh:

Day-V
12-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm going back to calling it MSA. At this point, who cares about accuracy?

So yeah, Monday, December 26th: the Pacers have their home-opener at Market Square Arena! BOOM!

duke dynamite
12-22-2011, 01:31 PM
My disclaimer:

It's rational to believe the season will start off slow attendance wise even for a team with this much excitement behind it. Sure there was a good turnout for FanJam, but there always is. The lockout soured many, so it'll be late-January/early-Feburary before you see a lot of interest. Especially with the Colts last home game tonight and the Super Bowl coming to town.

BillS
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
My disclaimer:

It's rational to believe the season will start off slow attendance wise even for a team with this much excitement behind it. Sure there was a good turnout for FanJam, but there always is. The lockout soured many, so it'll be late-January/early-Feburary before you see a lot of interest. Especially with the Colts last home game tonight and the Super Bowl coming to town.

I haven't seen if the STH tickets got discounted as well (like the Opening Night tickets did).

As long as PS&E treats STH's as if they at least got PART of the open sales discount, I am happy.

jrockne
12-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Not so sure anyone wants to be publicly associated with any Bank at this point, oh well. "The Fieldhouse" it is.

CoolHand
12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I haven't seen if the STH tickets got discounted as well (like the Opening Night tickets did).

As long as PS&E treats STH's as if they at least got PART of the open sales discount, I am happy.

I've been wondering this as well...

The Sleeze
12-22-2011, 02:29 PM
The Baltimore Ravens stadium (M&T Bank) is already called "The Bank":

Prior to the 1998 season, the Baltimore Ravens played at Memorial Stadium for two years. However, due to the stadium's aging state, it wasn't suitable for an NFL franchise, and ground was broken for the new stadium in mid-1996. It is sometimes called the Russell Street Coliseum (since the stadium sits directly on Russell Street) or 'The Bank'

Although, that would just be one more thing that they could hold against Indy for taking from them....:rimshot:

RWB
12-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure the Ps have some of those Jermaine O'Neal matryoshka dolls left to give out for you sth guys/gals who have given total support. :)

SycamoreKen
12-22-2011, 02:37 PM
So, if Slick calls, "Bank Baby!" on every bank shoot do you think he can get it sponsored?

Also, how about, "Lock the safe door, this win is secured!" only for home games though.

glazedham42
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
They're calling it The Bank b/c Paul George's defense is going to put everyone on lock down. :D

Eleazar
12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Puke these are the type of names I dispose the most.

The Sleeze
12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
What about instead of "The Bank", since its already used.....we call it "The Vault".

Pacers#1Fan
12-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Bankers Life, we foreclose on all our opponents.

ksuttonjr76
12-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Area 55 is going to have a field day this season, lol.

I already like some of the comments posted thus far.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Since it's dedicated to lives.....

http://www.onlinepetdepot.com/images/9lives%20logo%202.jpg FIELDHOUSE

The logo is nice I'll give it that.

http://www.ibj.com/ext/resources/IBJ-Daily/00-2011/12-December/bankerslife-logo.jpg

It'll take some getting used to, but it's still Conseco Fieldhouse. Same beautiful venue and the home of our Pacers. I do like the nickname "The Bank", but it'll still be the Fieldhouse in my book.

What will the abbreviation be? Conseco Fieldhouse was CFH. BFH? BLF? BLFH?

I like BFH.

PacersHomer
12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Bankers Life Court at The Fieldhouse would have been way better...

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM

There is the Conseco Ct. sign outside so I guess it's now Bankers Life Ct.

I have yet to drive past since I'm at work.

That was probably the easiest and cheapest fix as far as the signs went.

RWB
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Can't, it's already been named Bob Leonard court. ;) (See other thread).

BPump33
12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure the Ps have some of those Jermaine O'Neal matryoshka dolls left to give out for you sth guys/gals who have given total support. :)

Haha. I have one of those sitting on my desk right now. It's really creepy looking.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Bankers Life Fieldhouse will have nice crowds this season.

A lot of the Friday and Saturday night games in the beginning only have a couple tickets left and with the team we have and more wins, it'll continue.

The weekend games will be packed and even the weeknight games look much more full than last year.

BTW, I'm getting this info from Ticketmaster.

I Love P
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
I love it. My dog's name is Banks and I call him Bankers sometimes. This is sweet!

Dr. Hibbert
12-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I went ahead and bought 6 tix from that deal they're running vs the Bobcats. Those are going FAST! Good news. Would love to see this city fully support this team again...only good things can come of that.

Pig Nash
12-22-2011, 03:14 PM
I was gonna get the 12 dollar club tickets for that game but they were sold out already. Got balcony seats for 7 instead.

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I went ahead and bought 6 tix from that deal they're running vs the Bobcats. Those are going FAST! Good news. Would love to see this city fully support this team again...only good things can come of that.

It looks that way for a lot of the games in most January and I'm sure it'll continue the rest of the season if we're as good as we should be. Especially the weekend games.

......And everyone thought I was just full of it. :p

drewdawg
12-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Does this now mean that every Pacers home win is "in the bank?"

Scot Pollard
12-22-2011, 05:09 PM
They aren't going to change the sound of the buzzer horn right?

That's an icon of the Fieldhouse.

Hoop
12-22-2011, 06:05 PM
I :censored: hate the new name. Guess it only matters who is playing inside though.

"Give a Man a gun he can rob a Bank, give a Man a Bank he can rob the world"

Hicks
12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
They aren't going to change the sound of the buzzer horn right?

That's an icon of the Fieldhouse.

It has been replaced with the sound of a cash register opening.

IndyPacer
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
The only phrase I would have liked to have seen include both "bankers" and "life" is in a lengthy prison sentence.

I would have preferred the CNO bullcrap over this.

Roaming Gnome
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Could have been "Colonial Penn Fieldhouse" considering that is another one of CNO's more prominent brands. So, I guess I can deal with

BANKERSLIFE
Fieldhouse

Better than all the Pen being mightier than the sword jokes that Colonial Penn would have generated.

captainC
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Bankers Life and Trust is a life insurance company, focusing on the elderly.

They won't be foreclosing anyone, but they will take away your inheritance! :)

Basketball Fan
12-22-2011, 10:55 PM
It could be worse we could be called Power Balance Arena

Otherwise knowns as the Placebo Gazebo.

Hicks
12-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Steak 'N Shake Stadium. :devil:

bphil
12-23-2011, 09:32 AM
So now that the building is called "Bankers", does that mean that the bank shot is always open?

Tom White
12-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm glad the name allows us to give it a nickname such as 'The Bank' instead of some of those American Airlines or Dunkin Donuts Center.

Well, with American Airlines you could say "I'm going to AA tonight." - Or maybe not.

Dunkin Donuts? The D-Squared Center. Dales Davis would file trademark infringement charges on that one.

Changing the name to a part of their corporation that is based in Chicago must have been inspired by all the Bulls fans at the playoffs last year.

gummy
12-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Changing the name to a part of their corporation that is based in Chicago must have been inspired by all the Bulls fans at the playoffs last year.

Yeah, that part burns just a little.

I understand why they went with what they did, but I hate it. I really liked that Conseco didn't sound so obviously corporate. Ah well.

I actually think Colonial Penn Fieldhouse sounds better than Bankers Life Fieldhouse. But that's probably my history degree talking. ;)

NuffSaid
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I absolutely HATE the new name - Bankers Life Fieldhouse. What kind of name is that for a sports and entertainment complex? The name just doesn't roll off the tongue easy at all.

They should have dropped "fieldhouse" called it Bankers Life Stadium or Bankers Life Arena. Either would have sufficed. But Bankers Life Fieldhouse?

Sorry...just doesn't work for me. So, I'll just be calling it "the Fieldhouse" from now on. (Whose stupid idea was it to rename the place anyway?)

Frostwolf
12-27-2011, 01:22 PM
(Whose stupid idea was it to rename the place anyway?)

sigh

there is no company called "conseco" anymore

Sollozzo
12-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I wish I had a dime for every time Denari reminded us of the name change last night.

ndcoltsnpacers
12-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I noticed on the Gametime program they hand out before the games that they'd photoshopped a picture of our court from the playoff series last season to take out Conseco and add in Bankers Life. The picture cuts off the end of the name, it only shows "Bank" and "Fiel" right below it, but they really went to the trouble to change history.

NuffSaid
12-27-2011, 01:32 PM
sigh

there is no company called "conseco" anymore

I know that. I also understand the branding side of it, i.e., new owners, new branding....Conseco's out, Bankers Life is in. I get it.

Still, the name just doesn't work. They'd been better off going with "Stadium" or "Arena" instead of trying to stick with the "Fieldhouse".

Day-V
12-27-2011, 02:40 PM
At this point "CNO Fieldhouse" is looking better and better by the second.

ColorWerx
12-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Why not just call it BL Fieldhouse?