PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen can't believe West chose the Pacers~

Banta
12-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Found this over at hoopshype.com:

Because of salary cap restraints, the Celtics could not offer a two-year deal. They were required to acquire West in a sign-and-trade, which means the contract had to be a minimum of three years. In what team and league sources described as a creative but complicated package, the Celtics were prepared to offer West a four-year contract with a buyout that, in the end, amounted to three years and $29 million. In other words, the average of their offer was just under $10 million (about $9.6 million). ESPN.com

Count veteran Ray Allen among those who can't believe West chose Indiana over Boston with such a slim difference in compensation. "I'm shocked," Allen said. "I don't understand it." ESPN.com

I understand it, brother. And so, apparently, does David West.

PacerPenguins
12-19-2011, 09:39 PM
:haters:

duke dynamite
12-19-2011, 09:51 PM
That's okay, Ray Allen. You're old and will retire soon anyway.

granger4mvp
12-19-2011, 09:51 PM
What a tool freakin idiot

cdash
12-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't really take this as an attack on the Pacers as much as others seem to be. To me, it just looks like Ray Allen thought they had pretty much agreed to a deal and it was done with, and then Indiana swooped in with a marginally better offer at the last minute that West took. I'd probably be confused too.

Kuq_e_Zi91
12-19-2011, 09:58 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/030/403/YouMad.jpg?1260647699

owl
12-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I think he sees it as a window closing on their chances.

Pacer Fan
All the more reason to be lovin on DWest! :D

PacersHomer
He sees the writing on the wall. The Celtics are falling. The Pacers are rising. He's just mad he's on a sinking ship.

Sparhawk
12-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Ray wants championships. West wouldn't even start on that team, he'd be behind Garnett.

West wants a good deal and to start, to show he's still got it, cause he'll want another big pay day in 2 years. Doesn't hurt that we are on the up and up too and that he's played with Collison before.

Trophy
12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I think somebody is jealous.

P.S. Ray, Reggie Miller still >>>> You.

vnzla81
12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't really take this as an attack on the Pacers as much as others seem to be. To me, it just looks like Ray Allen thought they had pretty much agreed to a deal and it was done with, and then Indiana swooped in with a marginally better offer at the last minute that West took. I'd probably be confused too.

Yep he is maybe confused about the sign and trade thing that didn't happen.

Peck
12-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I may be reading this wrong but I think he is confused because West had the chance to get three years at similar price to what he is making now for two years.

In other words I think he is confused as to why West gave up a third season of being paid almost 10 million as opposed to two seasons of being paid 10 million.

I don't think Ray was making a statement about Indiana at all, but about West not taking a third year.

pezasied182
12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Honestly, would the Celtics win a championship with West over the next three years? In my opinion, no. They're done. There's no way they are going to do well with the shortened but condensed season.

tadscout
12-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I think it is funny Ray Allen doesn't understand teams won't S&T for crap in return. Even if West chose them, why would NOLA S&T and take on crap? NOLA can let him go and free up cap hold/space, or S&T and take on about 8 mil... hmm, lol

pezasied182
12-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I think it is funny Ray Allen doesn't understand teams won't S&T for crap in return. Even if West chose them, why would NOLA S&T and take on crap? NOLA can let him go and free up cap hold/space, or S&T and take on about 8 mil... hmm, lol

But don't other teams just want to line up to help the Celtics? I mean, I feel really bad for their franchise and for the city of Boston as a whole. They have had to suffer through some bad sports teams over the last ten years.

IndyJones
12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Ray wants championships. West wouldn't even start on that team, he'd be behind Garnett.

West wants a good deal and to start, to show he's still got it, cause he'll want another big pay day in 2 years. Doesn't hurt that we are on the up and up too and that he's played with Collison before.

This is what i think. In 2 years he will still be relatively young and will have a chance to prove his knees are not shot. Then can get his big payday.

BlueNGold
12-19-2011, 10:56 PM
This is what i think. In 2 years he will still be relatively young and will have a chance to prove his knees are not shot. Then can get his big payday.

Agree. It is a good situation for him. He's underpaid based on his skills, even at 10M simply due to the knee injury. Why lock yourself up at a discount? If his knee is fine in two years, he will have sacrificed perhaps 6M dollars over just 3 years. Another issue is that if he does come off the bench in Boston, he'd take a severe cut in 3 years when testing free agency. As a starter with starter minutes and good production, his price will rise.

Pacergeek
12-19-2011, 11:08 PM
David West didn't want to back up KG and his phony/ over dramatic intensity

vnzla81
12-19-2011, 11:10 PM
David West didn't want to back up KG and his phony/ over dramatic intensity

He was going to start with KG at center.

davidinnc
12-20-2011, 12:18 AM
I don't see how he could be shocked that he wouldn't sign for 3 years with a team that may have a one year window left.

wintermute
12-20-2011, 04:31 AM
I think somebody is jealous.

P.S. Ray, Reggie Miller still >>>> You.

Hey now, don't be ticking off Ray Ray. He's a free agent next year who might be wanting to sign with a rising young team just like David West did :D

:borg:

:devil:

OakMoses
12-20-2011, 06:55 AM
I just really hope we're better than the Celtics this year. It's possible.

cramerica
12-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I agree with Peck but I love that "hater's going to hate" gif. Cracks me up everytime. Anyways, Ray Allen can think/say what he wants and we can misinterpret whatever...all that matters is we have West and we are a much better team because of it.

SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31
12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't care about ray Allen , lost all respect for him after surpassing Reggie record.

McKeyFan
12-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Agree. It is a good situation for him. He's underpaid based on his skills, even at 10M simply due to the knee injury. Why lock yourself up at a discount? If his knee is fine in two years, he will have sacrificed perhaps 6M dollars over just 3 years. Another issue is that if he does come off the bench in Boston, he'd take a severe cut in 3 years when testing free agency. As a starter with starter minutes and good production, his price will rise.
If this is true, it makes me feel a lot better about signing him. At least HE thinks his knees are fine and he will be as good as always. That's half the battle.

bphil
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
DWest absolutely would've started in Boston. He would've been their second option after Pierce.

After watching him play during the scrimmage, I am absolutely blown away that the Pacers landed him. He was moving around just fine, his knee looked like it wasn't a problem at all, his shot was on point, and he pulled this little one-dribble-shoulder-bump-step-back jumper move on Hibbert that was almost Hakeem like.

Bird pulled off a huge coup here fellas...

Ozwalt72
12-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't care about ray Allen , lost all respect for him after surpassing Reggie record.

...uh, why?

The Sleeze
12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
The whole story was posted in the "Offseason Grades" thread:
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=67805

The end of the article actually makes Garnett not look like so much of a D-Bag.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/...boston-celtics

Count veteran Ray Allen among those who can't believe West chose Indiana over Boston with such a slim difference in compensation.

"I'm shocked," Allen said. "I don't understand it."

"David is someone you can drop it down to, and he's going to shoot with either hand. You've got to think about double-teaming him, which obviously helps everyone else on the floor."

Allen first heard of West's potential interest in Boston last month when Allen was playing golf in Augusta with his private banker, who coincidentally also handled West's financial affairs.

"He told me how much I would love [West], that he and I were the same kind of guy -- cognitive thinkers," Allen said. "He said West was interested in coming to the Celtics and would be willing to come for less."

So why does Allen think West had a change of heart?

"Once it got down to the end, I think his ego kicked back in," Allen said. "He wanted the dollars. I guess it comes down to 'What is a championship worth to you?'

"Think of all the guys who have made $20 million and could be considered one of the best ever, but they get chided because they never won. We [the Big Three] all had to do less when we won. We're still taking less to make it work. But it's worth it. No one can ever say to KG, Paul or me, 'You guys never got your ring.'"

Theories abound on why West chose the Pacers over the Celtics. Included among them is the notion that since West opted out of a contract that would have paid him $8.5 million, he needed to "save face" among other players (and agents) by not accepting a Celtics contract that included a first year of just under $8 million, even though the average value over the life of the contract would have been higher.

The other factor could be that West preferred a two-year deal so he could re-establish himself as the two-time All-Star he was before he was injured, rather than commit for three years to a team with an uncertain future.

It's one thing to lose a free agent to Los Angeles. It's quite another to lose him to Indiana, a franchise that won just 37 games last season and is a small Midwest market that has always struggled to draw high-caliber free agents.

Stay Classy Ray Allen. The underlined part really pissed me off.

Gamble1
12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
He was going to start with KG at center.
Is this suppose to be green. No way KG could play center for long periods of time during a shorten lockout.

I look at the 2 year deal as one where West can choose his contender after the Pacers to get a ring and still have something to contribute to the team. Bostons 3 year deal would have sucked in years 2-3 IMO.

tadscout
12-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Is this suppose to be green. No way KG could play center for long periods of time during a shorten lockout.

Doc Rivers said so at their training camp that KG would play the 5... but now that West came here it looks like they are starting JO there.

cdash
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Gamble1;1324297]Is this suppose to be green. No way KG could play center for long periods of time during a shorten lockout.
QUOTE]

Sure he can. Didn't Doc Rivers come out and say as much?

Since86
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Doc Rivers plans for Kevin Garnett to play role at center this season

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2011/12/doc_rivers_plans_for_kevin_gar.html

HC
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Stay Classy Ray Allen. The underlined part really pissed me off.

So Basically Ray is admitting he would have never won a champioship without 2 other Hall of Fame caliber teammates playing with him? I agree...Since Ray is so cognitive, I wonder if he realized he owned himself.

Gamble1
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Sure he can. Didn't Doc Rivers come out and say as much?
LOL I know right...Thats a injury waiting to happen especially considering how many games will be played in a short amount of time.

Dumbest idea I have heard yet when it comes to using a star player.

McKeyFan
12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Doc Rivers said so at their training camp that KG would play the 5... but now that West came here it looks like they are starting JO there.

:50cent:

cdash
12-20-2011, 11:37 AM
LOL I know right...Thats a injury waiting to happen especially considering how many games will be played in a short amount of time.

Dumbest idea I have heard yet when it comes to using a star player.

They don't really have any better options. In today's NBA, KG can masquerade as a center about as well as anyone I suppose, but him staying healthy is another beast altogether.

Honestly, I think the Celtics are ultimately a better team and would beat us in a best of seven series, but I wouldn't be surprised if we finished the regular season with a better record than they do. That team is not built for a 66 games in 120 days gauntlet season.

MyFavMartin
12-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Is $10 million for DWest underpaid considering the new CBA and luxury tax implications?

wintermute
12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Is $10 million for DWest underpaid considering the new CBA and luxury tax implications?

$10m per year is just about right, but he's considered underpaid because it's only a 2 year contract. Less risk for the team if it turns out that he's not as good as he used to be.

Cuts both ways of course. In 2 years, West will be free to leave if he wishes. The timing works out nicely for us though, since 2 years is when Hansbrough's rookie contract runs out. At that point we can choose which PF to throw more money at - hopefully Hans, if he develops as expected. Though I wouldn't rule out West staying on in a lesser role if he's so inclined and if things work out.

DonSwanson
12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't know why West came here instead of Boston, but I had to chuckle a bit at what West said in his Pacers Crate interview on nba.com about wanting to get "out of his comfort zone." What's a more comfortable work environment, having to answer everyday to Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers or Danny Granger and Frank Vogel? What's more comfortable, playing under the championship microscope and knowing full-well that you will likely receive a lot of blame if the team doesn't reach a championship level, or coming to an Indiana team where you can take your time in working your way back from the injury without the added burdens of championship expectations? I just think with his personality and where he's at in his career, the small-market, non championship setting suits him better. In terms of finances, at his age I think the added security of an additional guaranteed year makes more sense b/c I don't think he will be making $10 million in 3 years.

docpaul
12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Pahahah....

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/12/20/2649648/ray-allen-david-west-boston-celtics-indiana-pacers

Allen isn't usually the type to glorify himself at the expense of other players, so right off the top this is bizarre. But when you look at the actual facts of Allen's supposed selflessness and West's greed, it just doesn't add up.

Ray Allen didn't take less money to win a championship in Boston: he made $16 million in the Celtics' title season. He came to Boston two years into a five-year, $80 million deal. He has signed one contract as a member of the C's: a two-year, $20 million (HMMM) in 2010. By that point, a few weeks from turning 35, he had made $158 million in NBA salary, according to Basketball-Reference.com. He was also the type to earn endorsement money and must be getting crazy royalties on He Got Game.

David West has made $43 million in the NBA, and he's 31, and the supposedly greedy deal he signed in Indiana was for the exact same amount an older, wealthier Ray Allen signed for a year ago. NBA players don't have any business casting public financial aspersions on colleagues regardless; that the facts of this case are so lopsided makes Allen's public whinging even more offensive.

And really, who's to say that at this point the Celtics are any better a title contender than the Pacers? Boston only won two more games than Indiana in the playoffs last season, and that was before West joined the Pacers. Allen may want to bite his tongue, lest he get West and the Pacers nice and frothed up.

Naptown_Seth
12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Why be mad at Ray Allen, he agrees with 90% of the crybabies right here at Digest that say "we can never get FAs because they ALWAYS go to the big markets like LA, Boston, Miami and Chicago".

edit - Peck wasn't right about Ray thinking it was due to the same money based on the full comments

So Indy has shown both Ray and a bunch of PD/local fans that in fact a small market team with the appropriate cap space (ie, having some for the first time in 25 years) can actually "buy off" an all-star PF. And it didn't even take much more money, if any more at all.

greengirl33
12-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Pahahah....

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/12/...indiana-pacers

Quote:
Allen isn't usually the type to glorify himself at the expense of other players, so right off the top this is bizarre. But when you look at the actual facts of Allen's supposed selflessness and West's greed, it just doesn't add up.

Ray Allen didn't take less money to win a championship in Boston: he made $16 million in the Celtics' title season. He came to Boston two years into a five-year, $80 million deal. He has signed one contract as a member of the C's: a two-year, $20 million (HMMM) in 2010. By that point, a few weeks from turning 35, he had made $158 million in NBA salary, according to Basketball-Reference.com. He was also the type to earn endorsement money and must be getting crazy royalties on He Got Game.

David West has made $43 million in the NBA, and he's 31, and the supposedly greedy deal he signed in Indiana was for the exact same amount an older, wealthier Ray Allen signed for a year ago. NBA players don't have any business casting public financial aspersions on colleagues regardless; that the facts of this case are so lopsided makes Allen's public whinging even more offensive.

And really, who's to say that at this point the Celtics are any better a title contender than the Pacers? Boston only won two more games than Indiana in the playoffs last season, and that was before West joined the Pacers. Allen may want to bite his tongue, lest he get West and the Pacers nice and frothed up.

I was thinking this as well but I thought I was just being a biased fan. Not good when the player you feel is the nicest guy starts out the year like this. Could be just a bad day or something else going on.

Basketball Fan
12-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I have never liked Ray Allen nothing changed.

Mr_Smith
12-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Ray Allen was a perennial loser before joining Paul and KG, just like Paul and KG were. Who cares what Ray says