PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article by Bill Simmons

PacerPride33
12-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Here is the link to the full article http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7360397/the-eleventh-day-nba-christmas

What he had to say about the Pacers

INDIANA PACERS
Needs: One more impact guy. They have the cap space.

Additional Notes: As a Celtics fan, I'm officially terrified of what's happening in Indiana. Danny Granger, David West, Roy Hibbert, George Hill, Darren Collison, Tyler Hansbrough, Paul George (one of my favorite young guys) I mean, they're a solid forward/center and/or a solid scoring guard from being a ***** in the playoffs. I really, really like this team. You know what may have changed their December game plan, though? Eric Gordon getting thrown into the Chris Paul trade. For years, Clipper insiders were worried about Gordon leaving in 2013 (when he becomes an unrestricted free agent) to play for his hometown Pacers. Shouldn't the Pacers make a few short-term signings to preserve their 2013 cap room for Gordon?

What They SHOULD Do: Throw the kitchen sink at Afflalo. Something like $42 million for four years.9 Make Denver match it. (They will.) Then, throw a shorter offer at Nick Young and make Washington match it. (They will.) Now you've just knocked out your two biggest competitors for the overseas guys in March, which means you can roll the dice with Michael Redd for nothing (already in the works), bide your time until the overseas guys start coming back, then pounce on some short-term scoring punch with J.R. Smith (two years, $12 million) while keeping your eyes on the prize (Gordon in 2013). Either way, I love looking at the Pacers right now they're proving that a small-market team can stay competitive with wacky traits like "logic" and "ingenuity."

Day-V
12-19-2011, 12:54 PM
What? No White guy jokes? I'm disappointed in you, Simmons.

Brohan Cruyff
12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Wow, that more or less mirrors what I want us to do (not detail-by-detail, but in general preparing to take a run at signing Gordon next summer). THANKS FOR BLOWING OUR COVER, SPORTS GUY

MTM
12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Bill Simmons is one of the most well-informed 'fan' of the NBA, but he writes from his distinctly Boston fan voice, with a touch of his recent LA lifestyle (and Clippers season ticket holder). He advocated during the lockout that the Pacers (and 3 other teams) be contracted by the league. So the fact that he recognizes the positive things happening in Indiana shows both that he knows NBA basketball (and not just the big market names) and that the team still needs a piece or two to be legit contenders. I think he was spot on.

Day-V
12-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Bill Simmons is one of the most well-informed 'fan' of the NBA, but he writes from his distinctly Boston fan voice, with a touch of his recent LA lifestyle (and Clippers season ticket holder). He advocated during the lockout that the Pacers (and 3 other teams) be contracted by the league. So the fact that he recognizes the positive things happening in Indiana shows both that he knows NBA basketball (and not just the big market names) and that the team still needs a piece or two to be legit contenders. I think he was spot on.

Wait, I'm confused. He knows NBA Basketball so well, yet he's gone from saying we should be contracted to now we have a scary team in less than 4 months?

graphic-er
12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Wait, I'm confused. He knows NBA Basketball so well, yet he's gone from saying we should be contracted to now we have a scary team in less than 4 months?

Even worse he advocates that the Pacers, a small market team who just got out cap hell should gamble their money by offering large contracts to certain players just so we can sabotage teams next year.

Pacersalltheway10
12-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Most people on this board don't want Eric Gordon anymore.

Mackey_Rose
12-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Why would they not? He fills an extreme need perfectly, and is one of the best players in the league at his position.

You'd have to be stupid not to want him.

Not wanting to hear about him in every thread is a different matter.

Gamble1
12-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Since when? Just beacause most don't want to give PG up for him that doesn't mean they wouldn't welcom EJ back with open arms.

imbtyler
12-19-2011, 02:04 PM

In those four months, we picked up David West, we added George Hill on Draft Night, and our players are getting better. Just because we have a scary team doesn't mean he still doesn't want us contracted; how much easier would it be on his Celtics if we didn't exist?

Day-V
12-19-2011, 02:17 PM
In those four months, we picked up David West, we added George Hill on Draft Night, and our players are getting better. Just because we have a scary team doesn't mean he still doesn't want us contracted; how much easier would it be on his Celtics if we didn't exist?

Well hell, how much easier would it be for his Celtics if the Heat, Bulls, and Knicks didn't exist? I don't buy that logic.

Infinite MAN_force
12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Even worse he advocates that the Pacers, a small market team who just got out cap hell should gamble their money by offering large contracts to certain players just so we can sabotage teams next year.

I took that as a half joking "tongue-in-cheek" suggestion. I don't think he seriously thinks we should do that.

MTM
12-19-2011, 05:58 PM

The reason he advocated contraction was economics, and frankly he has a great point. In a city/state where basketball is supposed to be more important than anywhere else in the nation, and in that same city were 62,000 are attending football games 8-12 times a year, the one professional basketball team in town struggled to sell tickets for several years. I mean, really struggled. And we all know that the stated attendance numbers are significantly inflated from the number of butts in the seats most nights. So an argument for contraction was logical - if the Pacers, Bobcats, Warriors and Hornets are all eliminated, and the players and money are redistributed to the remaining teams, the reality is that the talent level of the league, and the value to owners, increases.

The reason he now says that the team is scary is a matter of basketball.

In my opinion, if the Pacers basketball can continue to improve, its econonic problems will improve along with it, hopefully so it will no longer be lumped into such a discussion. I can certainly tell you that there were no valid reasons to argue contraction for the 98, 99, 2000, 2001 teams, etc. Ten years makes a big difference.

90'sNBARocked
12-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Has hell offically frozen over?

Becasue I always thought that , that would be the first time Simmons wrote anything positive about the Pacers

Dont know whether to be encouraged or friegthned

Kemo
12-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Dont know whether to be encouraged or friegthned

I'd be very friegthned .. lol:D

pathil275
12-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I like Bill Simmons a lot. Of course he is first and foremost a fan of the Boston teams, but while his ideas are often far-fetched, you can't deny that he cares for the NBA and has pretty good knowledge.

His style of writing is hilarious, biased and pretentious at times. He wears his heart on his sleeve. With all his anti-Indiana(polis) articles, him complimenting the Pacers is worth more than all the other feel-good writers suddenly pretending to care about the Pacers.

sheppie33
12-19-2011, 11:20 PM
What? No White guy jokes? I'm disappointed in you, Simmons.

Do you guys think he will make white guy jokes about the Lakers?

Kopono
Mcroberts
Murphy
Blake
Walton

cdash
12-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Do you guys think he will make white guy jokes about the Lakers?

Kopono
Mcroberts
Murphy
Blake
Walton

No.

The joke that needs to be made about the Lakers was already nailed by Hollinger. Something to the effect of them cornering the market on former Pacer left handed power forwards :laugh:

Pacergeek
12-19-2011, 11:27 PM
The piece on the Pacers is entertaining, but not at all realistic. Simmons is just a fiction writer, and usually ignores facts and logic

jrockne
12-20-2011, 12:29 AM
His style of writing is hilarious, biased and pretentious at times. He wears his heart on his sleeve. With all his anti-Indiana(polis) articles, him complimenting the Pacers is worth more than all the other feel-good writers suddenly pretending to care about the Pacers.

This is a guy that bleeds New England sports teams. When he gives credit to the Colts and Pacers, it's legitimate.

And I will say that Affalo would be AWESOME on the Pacers (although he just resigned), there are others out there to make us more than just a 4-5 seed, THIS YEAR.