PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

12-19-2011, 08:49 AM
From the May 17, 1972 St. Petersburg Times article: Hysteria Pacer Problem? If you cannot zoom on the article, you may read the original article HERE (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Jd9QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2GADAAAAIBAJ&pg=5490%2C1375081).

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/ryheathco/Screenshot2011-12-19at81649AM-1.png

I recently stumbled upon an archive of Pacer's articles. This was among the articles feature in the 1970's when the Pacers were members of the American Basketball Association.

The article made me realize that fan sentiment toward Josh McRoberts and Eric Gordon is similar to the sentiment that George McGinnis, Billy Keller, and Rick Mount received from fans.

I thought it was an interesting article; perhaps a good way to break-up your morning grind.

croz24
12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm not entirely sure that's the case with McRoberts... McRoberts was pretty universally disliked when he was at Carmel High School being the immature baby that he was, and then by choosing to go out of state to Duke where he was equally disliked by fans. Of course he ended up maturing as a person and sentiment began to change, but I don't know that it ever fully did.

BRushWithDeath
12-19-2011, 09:45 AM
The very idea that people think anyone wants Eric Gordon because of where he is from is insulting.

And I think croz did a pretty good job outlining the McRoberts situation. Can there be a more distasteful combo to Hoosiers than coming from Carmel and Duke?

ColorWerx
12-19-2011, 10:13 AM
*cough* 1987 Draft - Steve Alford > Reggie Miller *cough*

:)

A.B.Hollywood
12-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Wasn't McBob the one who refused to play in his last HS game because he thought he'd get hurt? I could be incorrect here but for some reason I thought I recalled that.

I know that when he choose Duke dude was LOATHED by my fellow Hoosier faithful so either way I agree that his case is very different.

On an unrelated note I still have my team signed Pacers ball that my second favorite signature on it is Damon Bailey :)

Steagles
12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
McBob got me back into pacers basketball. He will be my favorite player while he's still playing.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Pacersalltheway10
12-19-2011, 01:44 PM
EJ is just a good SG who would fit well here. By do people assume just because someone wants EJ that they are choosing where he's from over his playing abilities.

rabid
12-19-2011, 02:23 PM
The very idea that people think anyone wants Eric Gordon because of where he is from is insulting.

uhhhhh

Steve Alford?
Damon Bailey?
Brad Miller?

cdash
12-19-2011, 02:47 PM
I would love Eric Gordon on this team, and it has almost nothing to do with the fact that he is local and went to IU. The reality is, he is a legitimate star player who would fit in great on this team and would generate interest in the team locally from others who do care about his history in the state. We have been looking for a guy who can create his own shot and score points in droves (Jamal Crawford, OJ Mayo), and Gordon can do that and probably do it better than anyone else we could possibly get. Throw in that he supposedly has interest in coming home, and it's not a a huge stretch. All that being said, I still don't think it will happen.

BRushWithDeath
12-19-2011, 03:04 PM
uhhhhh

Steve Alford?
Damon Bailey?
Brad Miller?

You are right.

People only want a 22 year old 20 point scoring wing with near elite defense because he is from Indianapolis and played one season at IU.

*Edit*: And Brad Miller? Seriously? The guy was a ****ing All-Star.

Slick Pinkham
12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Lets see if three years from now there are T-shirts in Conseco saying

"Sink to the cellar
&
draft Cody Zeller"

BRushWithDeath
12-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Lets se if three years from now there are T-shirts in Conseco saying

"Sink to the cellar
&
draft Cody Zeller"

You might be seeing those this year.

cdash
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
You might be seeing those this year.

Nah, Zeller isn't going anywhere this year. After next year, maybe, but he seems to be one of those kids who enjoys college and wants to earn his degree. Plus with the recruiting class IU has coming in next year, the sky is the limit for that team.

Eleazar
12-19-2011, 04:15 PM
To deny that any of us has a bias towards Gordon is just ignorance if not a complete lie. On the other hand to say the only reason people want him here is because he is from Indiana is also ignorant and a lie.

The truth is people want him because he is such a good young player, and they would want him over similar players because he is from Indiana.

trs72
12-19-2011, 04:48 PM
*cough* 1987 Draft - Steve Alford > Reggie Miller *cough*

:)

LOL, I remember all the fuss that stirred. I idolized Steve Alford and patent my game after him.I Remember the free throw routine, Socks, Pants, 1,2,3 swish. I had also seen Reggie play some games at UCLA and as much as I idolized Alford I wanted Reggie as a Pacer as I knew Alford was just a great college player playing for a great coach.

To the original poster that posted that article, for those that dont know Rick Mount. Probably still to this day the greatest shooter ever to pick up a basketball, yes even over Bird and Reggie. My dad actually went to school with Rick and they played little league baseball together.

trs72
12-19-2011, 04:51 PM
uhhhhh

Steve Alford?
Damon Bailey?
Brad Miller?

You might want to do some research before throwing Brad Miller in there. Brad Miller was a all star and one of the top C in the league at one time.

12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
No one is arguing that Eric Gordon is an under-acheiving player, but when fans suggest we trade two first round picks and Danny Granger for Eric Gordon that is the evidence of Hoosier Hysteria. Greg Oden, Gordon Hayward, and George Hill should also have been mentioned.

12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
There is pride in adding, "Hoosiers." we are the basketball state.

Slick Pinkham
12-19-2011, 05:10 PM
You might want to do some research before throwing Brad Miller in there. Brad Miller was a all star and one of the top C in the league at one time.

Yes, but when he left for an absolutely RIDICULOUS contract that Sacramento began to regret only about two days after they offered it, lots of people lined up here insisting that we were fools to lose out on the bidding war.

CreekShow
12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
You think maybe the fact that Indiana produces TONS of NCAA and NBA Basketball talent? I mean there are tons of players around the league that come from the state too.

Gordon is an amazing player, in a position which the Pacers could use someone like him. Does it help he is from here, sure, why wouldnt it help. I mean that takes nothing away from the fact that the kid is one of the better players in the league, and young at that. Throwing out Alfords name doesnt even make sense in this situation. If anything that disproves what you are saying. When it comes down to who is on the team, what fans say and feel have nothing to do with what really happens IMO.

There are going to be homers with every fanbase, but to say that Hoosier Hysteria is why we want EJ is silly. If there was another primetime SG who had openly voiced he wanted to play for us and was better than EJ, then I would say go for him

ColorWerx
12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
LOL, I remember all the fuss that stirred. I idolized Steve Alford and patent my game after him.I Remember the free throw routine, Socks, Pants, 1,2,3 swish. I had also seen Reggie play some games at UCLA and as much as I idolized Alford I wanted Reggie as a Pacer as I knew Alford was just a great college player playing for a great coach.

To the original poster that posted that article, for those that dont know Rick Mount. Probably still to this day the greatest shooter ever to pick up a basketball, yes even over Bird and Reggie. My dad actually went to school with Rick and they played little league baseball together.

First college basketball game I ever attended was at Mackey Arena (might have still been called Purdue Arena then) way back in 1969.

I didn't have the appreciation for Rick Mount then (I was six!), but I certainly did as I got older.

troyc11a
12-19-2011, 07:34 PM
No one is arguing that Eric Gordon is an under-acheiving player, but when fans suggest we trade two first round picks and Danny Granger for Eric Gordon that is the evidence of Hoosier Hysteria. Greg Oden, Gordon Hayward, and George Hill should also have been mentioned.

Exactly! Gordon is a good player and nobody in their right mind would be against him being acquired. What I am against is the Pacers overpaying for him in terms of a trade (Granger and 2 1sts may be the single most absurd trade suggestion in the history of this board - and that says a lot!),
Also, the idea of paying a max salary to a guy who has never proved he can handle the physicality of the NBA is almost as dumb. This guy cant stay healthy. Couldnt do it in college, and cant do it in the NBA. Not to mention he is to small to get his own shot or guard any other 2 guard effectively.
Somebody has to score on bad teams - See Danny Granger!
His value is extremly over-rated on this board because he is from Indy.

mildlysane
12-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Exactly! Gordon is a good player and nobody in their right mind would be against him being acquired. What I am against is the Pacers overpaying for him in terms of a trade (Granger and 2 1sts may be the single most absurd trade suggestion in the history of this board - and that says a lot!),
Also, the idea of paying a max salary to a guy who has never proved he can handle the physicality of the NBA is almost as dumb. This guy cant stay healthy. Couldnt do it in college, and cant do it in the NBA. Not to mention he is to small to get his own shot or guard any other 2 guard effectively.
Somebody has to score on bad teams - See Danny Granger!
And yet he averaged over 22 points per game last year on .450 shooting...hmmm.

BRushWithDeath
12-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Also, the idea of paying a max salary to a guy who has never proved he can handle the physicality of the NBA is almost as dumb. This guy cant stay healthy. Couldnt do it in college, and cant do it in the NBA. Not to mention he is to small to get his own shot or guard any other 2 guard effectively.Somebody has to score on bad teams - See Danny Granger!

It's pretty clear you haven't watched Eric Gordon play in the NBA.

cramerica
12-20-2011, 08:17 AM
I always thought the only reason Pacer fans wanted Gordon was because of his ties to Indy. I know he's a good...with potential to be a great player but never thought we should throw the kitchen sink to get him.

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 08:21 AM
It's pretty clear you haven't watched Eric Gordon play in the NBA.

6"3 = end of story. Dont let the facts mess up your fantasy. If Gordon wasnt from Indy, you wouldnt be all high and mighty for him. Period!

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 08:24 AM
And yet he averaged over 22 points per game last year on .450 shooting...hmmm.

Someone has to score on bad teams. Ala.... Danny Granger!!!!
You forgot to mention that he scored 22 a game, but only played in a little over half the season.

Mackey_Rose
12-20-2011, 08:25 AM
6"3 = end of story. Dont let the facts mess up your fantasy. If Gordon wasnt from Indy, you wouldnt be all high and mighty for him. Period!

Giving a player's listed height as the "end of story" regarding his ability to play has got to be one of the worst arguments that has ever been made.

The number of effective players (and many of them have been great) that have been short for their position is far too long to even attempt to list.

Gordon is certainly one of them. Your argument holds no water.

Dr. Awesome
12-20-2011, 08:30 AM

And I think croz did a pretty good job outlining the McRoberts situation. Can there be a more distasteful combo to Hoosiers than coming from Carmel and Duke?

No one is denying Gordons skill. But if he was from anywhere else he wouldn't receive a tenth of the attention he gets here.

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Giving a player's listed height as the "end of story" regarding his ability to play has got to be one of the worst arguments that has ever been made.

The number of effective players (and many of them have been great) that have been short for their position is far too long to even attempt to list.

Gordon is certainly one of them. Your argument holds no water.

Doesnt hold water huh? Then lets get a 6' center and power forward then. Height and length is important on the court. Nobody on here is arguing that Gordon is not an effective player. He is a catch and shoot guy who needs other players to help him get his shot. He cannot post up anyone nor can he really drive on anyone. Most 6'3 players need other players as well.
Gordon is good player but no where near a great player. Paul George has the potential to be great because he has the height and length to get his own shot and defend - Gordon doesnt.

Mackey_Rose
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Doesnt hold water huh? Then lets get a 6' center and power forward then. Height and length is important on the court. Nobody on here is arguing that Gordon is not an effective player. He is a catch and shoot guy who needs other players to help him get his shot. He cannot post up anyone nor can he really drive on anyone. Most 6'3 players need other players as well.
Gordon is good player but no where near a great player. Paul George has the potential to be great because he has the height and length to get his own shot and defend - Gordon doesnt.

That's exactly what you said. You said he is too small to guard his position effectively, or get his own shot. You were wrong.

Charles Barkley was one of the greatest players of all time as a 6'4" power forward. Size, and length is important, but to say it is the "end of story" is just stupid.

Gordon is one of the best two way players in the league. At any position.

He may be somewhat undersized, but he is able to make up for it with his strength, and athleticism. To be able to say he doesn't have the potential to defend or get his own shot is absolutely ridiculous.

The Gordon-George comparison just doesn't make a lot of sense. One is an established pro, a borderline elite player. The other is a 2nd year guy who was mostly disappointing in his rookie season, before turning it around a bit in a 5 game playoff series, on one end of the court. He has the potential to become as good as Gordon, but at this point, it isn't even close.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=gordoer01&y1=2011&p2=georgpa01&y2=2011

It's not about the potential for Gordon to be able to defend or get his own shot. He already does that at an NBA level.

I agree with you, George does have the potential to be great. He has the size, and athleticism that is necessary. He is already a very, very good on-ball defender. However, at this point in his career, that's all the he does really well. He isn't a very good shooter, but he will improve in that area. He isn't a good ball handler, but I'd hope he will put as much effort into improving that as he does his shooting.

Gordon is a fantastic shooter. One of the best pure shooters of all the young guys in the league. He is also a very good ball handler and passer. His work as the ball handler in the pick and roll was devastating last year. He's too good of a shooter to go underneath the screen, and if the big helps out too high, he has no problem either going right around him and getting to the rim, or finding the roll man (Blake Griffin) for the easy dunk. He's extremely effective with the ball in his hands. To say he is a catch and shoot guy, is misinformed at best.

Last year 70% of Gordon's shots were jump shots. 71% of George's shots were jump shots. Why is Gordon a catch and shoot guy, but George is made out to be some all-world slasher who gets to the rim at will? Maybe he will become that, but right now, he isn't even close.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10LAC6.HTM

http://www.82games.com/1011/10IND7.HTM

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 09:08 AM
That's exactly what you said. You said he is too short to guard his position effectively. You were wrong.

Charles Barkley was one of the greatest players of all time as a 6'4" power forward. Size, and length is important, but to say it is the "end of story" is just stupid.

Gordon is one of the best two way players in the league. At any position.

He may be somewhat undersized, but he is able to make up for it with his strength, and athleticism. To be able to say he doesn't have the potential to defend or get his own shot is absolutely ridiculous.

The Gordon-George comparison just doesn't make a lot of sense. One is an established pro, a borderline elite player. The other is a 2nd year guy who was mostly disappointing in his rookie season, before turning it around a bit in a 5 game playoff series, on one end of the court. He has the potential to become as good as Gordon, but at this point, it isn't even close.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=gordoer01&y1=2011&p2=georgpa01&y2=2011

It's not about the potential for Gordon to be able to defend or get his own shot. He already does that at an NBA level.

I agree with you, George does have the potential to be great. He has the size, and athleticism that is necessary. He is already a very, very good on-ball defender. However, at this point in his career, that's all the he does really well. He isn't a very good shooter, but he will improve in that area. He isn't a good ball handler, but I'd hope he will put as much effort into improving that as he does his shooting.

Gordon is a fantastic shooter. One of the best pure shooters of all the young guys in the league. He is also a very good ball handler and passer. His work as the ball handler in the pick and roll was devastating last year. He's too good of a shooter to go underneath the screen, and if the big helps out too high, he has no problem either going right around him and getting to the rim, or finding the roll man (Blake Griffin) for the easy dunk. He's extremely effective with the ball in his hands. To say he is a catch and shoot guy, is misinformed at best.

Last year 70% of Gordon's shots were jump shots. 71% of George's shots were jump shots. Why is Gordon a catch and shoot guy, but George is made out to be some all-world slasher who gets to the rim at will? Maybe he will become that, but right now, he isn't even close.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10LAC6.HTM

http://www.82games.com/1011/10IND7.HTM

George was in a catch and shoot system. He was not the first or even second option. With a gunner like Granger on the team everyone is pretty much reduced to a catch and shoot guy.
If the Pacers drafted a 6"3 shooting guard this entire board would blow up calling for Bird to be fired. But, if the guy in from Indy, then all is well.

Since86
12-20-2011, 09:12 AM
No one is denying Gordons skill. But if he was from anywhere else he wouldn't receive a tenth of the attention he gets here.

Yes, because we've never talked about other SGs coming here, like Mayo, Crawford, Monta Ellis, etc. /sarcasm

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes, because we've never talked about other SGs coming here, like Mayo, Crawford, Monta Ellis, etc. /sarcasm

We talk about other guards obviously. But what we dont do talk about other sg's (not named Eric Gordon) on the same level as Jordan or Kobe.
Gordon is enormously overvalued on this board because he is from Indy. If he was from Florida or California, he would be looked at for what he is: A good but not great sg who has not proven he is big or strong enough to handle the physicality of the NBA - he is always hurt!

Since86
12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah, the center piece in a trade for CP3 that was accepted over two different offers centered by Bynum and Gasol is very overvalued on this board......

Take the time to stop and actually watch the kid play, and maybe you'll realize that the ENTIRE league is pretty high on EJ, and it's not just a PD thing.

12-20-2011, 09:38 AM
That's exactly what you said. You said he is too small to guard his position effectively, or get his own shot. You were wrong.

Fact Check:

Sir Charles was 6'6'' and 255 pounds. He played a position and in a time when tenacity was greater than the sum of all parts. Not to mention, at 255 pounds Sir Charles was a load. Some of the greatest power forwards were, "small" by today's standard. Players like Karl Malone are the reason I believe the Tyler Hansbrough can be great despite his lack-of-length.

With that being said, how many "great" shooting guards were undersized? I can think of a few, including Allen Iverson. Just as the undersized power forwards all posses uncommon strength, so to undersized shooting guards all posses uncommon speed

There is no reason to say that Eric Gordon is too small. However, it cannot be denied that this is an obstacle. The greatest obstacles are: [1] the average height of an NBA shooting guard is 6'6'' (http://basslinespin.blogspot.com/2011/06/average-size-of-nba-starter.html), but size no longer correlates to speed. The modern NBA hosts hundreds of players who posses elite height and speed. Therefore, to be effective as an undersized shooting guard, one must be in the top 25% in terms of speed of the position(IMO). [2] Longevity. A tall player will always be a tall player, but a fast player will not always be a fast player. There are few, undersized players who have maintained effectiveness as they grow older. Why? It is simply because they lost that all-equalizing first step that leveled their playing field.

Eric Gordon has the skill and the traits to be a good shooting guard, but not an elite shooting guard. On the other hand, I believe the Pacers posses something or someone who is unique in Paul George. Paul George is the tallest shooting guard in the NBA (http://basslinespin.blogspot.com/2011/06/average-size-of-nba-starter.html), and he is athletic. As Paul matures, I believe I can surpass Eric Gordon and become a rare talent in the NBA.

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Fact Check:

Sir Charles was 6'6'' and 255 pounds. He played a position and in a time when tenacity was greater than the sum of all parts. Not to mention, at 255 pounds Sir Charles was a load. Some of the greatest power forwards were, "small" by today's standard. Players like Karl Malone are the reason I believe the Tyler Hansbrough can be great despite his lack-of-length.

With that being said, how many "great" shooting guards were undersized? I can think of a few, including Allen Iverson. Just as the undersized power forwards all posses uncommon strength, so to undersized shooting guards all posses uncommon speed

There is no reason to say that Eric Gordon is too small. However, it cannot be denied that this is an obstacle. The greatest obstacles are: [1] the average height of an NBA shooting guard is 6'6'' (http://basslinespin.blogspot.com/2011/06/average-size-of-nba-starter.html), but size no longer correlates to speed. The modern NBA hosts hundreds of players who posses elite height and speed. Therefore, to be effective as an undersized shooting guard, one must be in the top 25% in terms of speed of the position(IMO). [2] Longevity. A tall player will always be a tall player, but a fast player will not always be a fast player. There are few, undersized players who have maintained effectiveness as they grow older. Why? It is simply because they lost that all-equalizing first step that leveled their playing field.

Eric Gordon has the skill and the traits to be a good shooting guard, but not an elite shooting guard. On the other hand, I believe the Pacers posses something or someone who is unique in Paul George. Paul George is the tallest shooting guard in the NBA (http://basslinespin.blogspot.com/2011/06/average-size-of-nba-starter.html), and he is athletic. As Paul matures, I believe I can surpass Eric Gordon and become a rare talent in the NBA.

Good post. Bringing some facts to this debate is kind of dangerous though.
I was simply stating that Gordon's height is an obstacle and he will never be a "great" sg. He is a good one and nobody should be questioning his talent.
He is injury prone. No matter how good some on here believe him to be, he holds "0" value when sitting behind the bench in a suit. Which he does about half the time.

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, the center piece in a trade for CP3 that was accepted over two different offers centered by Bynum and Gasol is very overvalued on this board......

Take the time to stop and actually watch the kid play, and maybe you'll realize that the ENTIRE league is pretty high on EJ, and it's not just a PD thing.

He was traded for a player the Hornets were going to lose for nothing. If Paul was locked up (which he will be in LA), there is no way the Hornets would have traded him for Paul. Even if 2-3 first round picks were added. The Hornets got screwed in that deal but made out ok only because they were going to lose Paul for nothing. So really your argument should be = Gordon is better than nothing.

BRushWithDeath
12-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Besides Eric Gordon, here's the list of players who have averaged 20+ before they turned 23 in the last 5 years:

Lebron James (4 times) - 8 Time All-Star / 2 Time MVP
Carmelo Anthony (4 times) - 4 Time All-Star
Kevin Durant (4 times) - 2 Time All-Star
Chris Bosh (2 times) - 6 Time All-Star
Derrick Rose (2 times) - 2 Time All-Star
Dwight Howard - 5 Time All-Star
Chris Paul - 4 Time All-Star
Blake Griffin - All-Star
Russell Westbrook - All-Star
Kevin Love - All-Star
Monta Ellis
Rudy Gay
Brook Lopez

But I wouldn't want any of those guys because they didn't play in college at IU for a single season.

12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Besides Eric Gordon, here's the list of players who have averaged 20+ before they turned 23 in the last 5 years:

Blake Griffin - All-Star
Kevin Love - All-Star
Monta Ellis
Rudy Gay
Brook Lopez

But I wouldn't want any of those guys because they didn't play in college at IU for a single season.

Basketball is more than offense, there is a thing called defense.

No one on your list has won a championship.

Since86
12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
He was traded for a player the Hornets were going to lose for nothing. If Paul was locked up (which he will be in LA), there is no way the Hornets would have traded him for Paul. Even if 2-3 first round picks were added. The Hornets got screwed in that deal but made out ok only because they were going to lose Paul for nothing. So really your argument should be = Gordon is better than nothing.

The Hornets turned down both Gasol and Bynum and accepted Eric. And everyone, other than you apparently, knows that the LAC deal was much much much better for the Hornets for a number of different reasons.

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Blake Griffin - All-Star
Kevin Love - All-Star
Monta Ellis
Rudy Gay
Brook Lopez

How many of those guys are undersized for their position? Ellis is it and few on here wanted him because of his size.
How many of those guys will miss half of nearly every season because they arent big or strong enough to handle the physicality of the NBA? Go ahead, you can say it, we already know the answer = 0

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
The Hornets turned down both Gasol and Bynum and accepted Eric. And everyone, other than you apparently, knows that the LAC deal was much much much better for the Hornets for a number of different reasons.

Oh yea, EVERYONE is picking the Hornets to be relevant. Brilliant.
And NOBODY thinks the Clippers are Western contenders now. I see.
Since this trade hurt the Clippers so much they will be worse than they were last year and can no longer contend, I surrender (sarcasm).

Since86
12-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah, just ignore the fact that Griffin missed an entire year and required microfracture knee surgery.:applaud:

And just ignore the fact that Rudy Gay missed the playoffs last year due to injury.

BRushWithDeath
12-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Basketball is more than offense, there is a thing called defense.

Which makes Gordon even more enticing. Despite his height, he's universally regarding (by people that watch him at least) as among the best defenders at the 2 position in the league.

No one on your list has won a championship.

Because they are all young. But I feel pretty comfortable saying that two of them will this year.

12-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Which makes Gordon even more enticing. Despite his height, he's universally regarding (by people that watch him at least) as among the best defenders at the 2 position in the league.

Because they are all young. But I feel pretty comfortable saying that two of them will this year.

http://www.mrtees.com/images/I-reject-your-reality-and-substitute-my-own-main-logo.gif

12-20-2011, 10:31 AM
The best comparison for Eric Gordon is Joe Dumars (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dumarjo01.html). That is an excellent compliment to Eric Gordon, but that does not mean he is worth a second mortgage on the house. If the Pacers can sign Eric Gordon and allow him to compete for the position, great. The point of this discussion is not Eric Gordon's relevance, but the tendency of Pacer fans to overvalue Indiana natives.

Trader Joe
12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Eric Gordon should have just gone to Illinois apparently.

MagicRat
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
http://dimemag.com/2011/12/top-10-nba-shooting-guards-in-the-game-today/7/

Oliver
12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Personally I would rather have Rudy Gay.

cdash
12-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Personally I would rather have Rudy Gay.

Totally agree. If there is one thing this team is lacking, it is a small forward who can score.

This Gordon thing has gotten silly. He elicits strong opinions around these parts as it turns out. Personally, I don't see how you could possibly think he is a bad fit for this team, but to each his own.

King Tuts Tomb
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
The All-Indiana starting five is pretty good right now:

PG: Mike Conley
SG: Eric Gordon
SF: Jarred Jeffries
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Brad Miller

Jeff Teague, George Hill, Josh McRoberts off the bench

Injured list: Greg Oden

Apologies if I'm forgetting anybody good

Dr. Awesome
12-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Look at you go! You can put words into someones mouth to try and prove a point! I'm so impressed! /sarcasm

Mind telling me where I said that none of them get talked about here? I never did. Nor did I said he wouldn't be talked about here. I said he wouldn't receiver but a tenth of the attention he currently gets, which would put him roughly in that other category of players you mentioned.

If your going to put words in someones mouth, I wouldn't reccoemend doing it on a forum.

Since86
12-20-2011, 01:41 PM
We've been discussing the addition of Monta Ellis for years now. It's not like the topic rarely comes up.

We discussed the addition of Mayo for how long now? We discussed Crawford for how long?

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm pointing out that the discussion of adding a player just like EJ has been the topic of conversation for years and years and years. EJ is just the new name. The topic, however, is pretty old.

But if you want to ignore the fact that we continually talk about adding a SG capable of creating his own shot, and pretend like the topic revolves around EJ
then go right ahead.

EDIT: Just a few threads down you'll notice that a discussion revolving around getting Michael Redd's corpse is 8 pages long. To try and argue that EJ dominates 90% of the discussion is just ignoring all the other players mentioned that would fill the exact same role.

Pacersalltheway10
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
The All-Indiana starting five is pretty good right now:

PG: Mike Conley
SG: Eric Gordon
SF: Jarred Jeffries
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Brad Miller

Jeff Teague, George Hill, Josh McRoberts off the bench

Injured list: Greg Oden

Apologies if I'm forgetting anybody good

Gordon Hayward over Jefferies

Pacersalltheway10
12-20-2011, 01:54 PM

I have only seen a couple people suggest that we trade that much for him. I've seen more people who wish EJ would have signed extensions with the clippers or NO than those wanting to trade that much for him.

troyc11a
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Gordon Hayward over Jefferies

Ditto

Day-V
12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Courtney Lee.