PDA

View Full Version : Nick Young Resigns with Washington; 1/$3.7M (Q.O.)

Lance George
12-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Sources: Nick Young to sign one-year deal with Wizards - Wizards Insider - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/sources-nick-young-to-sign-one-year-deal-with-wizards/2011/12/18/gIQARnyK3O_blog.html)

Restricted free agent shooting guard Nick Young (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/is-nick-youngs-price-tag-too-high/2011/12/16/gIQAKvT3yO_blog.html) is in the process of catching a red-eye flight from Los Angeles to Washington and is expected to sign his one-year, $3.7 million qualifying offer with the Wizards (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards) on Monday, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

Young is coming off a career year with the Wizards, finishing as the team’s leading scorer at 17.4 point per game. But he found a rushed free agent market that was unfavorable to players at his position — and restricted free agents in general. Most teams around the league anticipated that the Wizards would match any offer for Young and few had the resources or willingness to give him a lucrative offer sheet.

The Wizards had hoped to sign Young to a long-term deal but were in different neighborhoods during negotiations. Three high-ranking NBA executives said Young was seeking a contract starting around $9 million per season (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/is-nick-youngs-price-tag-too-high/2011/12/16/gIQAKvT3yO_blog.html), while the Wizards were willing to give him something closer to the mid-level exception of $5 million, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

Among other available shooting guards, Rodney Stuckey agreed to sign a three-year deal with Detroit worth $25 million; Marcus Thornton signed with Sacramento for four years and $33 million; and Jason Richardson agreed to a four-year deal worth $25 million to stay in Orlando. But veterans Jamal Crawford and Richard Hamilton both agreed to short-term deals that will pay them $5 million this season. Denver restricted free agent guard Arron Afflalo remains unsigned.

By signing his qualifying offer, Young will become an unrestricted free agent next season, when the market is expected to be better. Several teams are expected to have considerable salary cap room and few young guards will be available.

Young missed all of training camp and the Wizards’ first preseason game, a 103-78 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-work-on-cutting-down-turnovers-as-season-nears/2011/12/18/gIQAaNU32O_story.html), and didn’t want to miss more time.

The Wizards will play the 76ers in their next and final preseason game on Tuesday. Young isn’t expected to be available for that game, but he has been working out on his own in Los Angeles, according to sources.

The Wizards will open the season on Dec. 26 at home against the New Jersey Nets.

Young becomes the 12th player – and third this year – to sign his qualifying tender since rookie scale contracts were established in 1995. Spencer Hawes signed his one-year, $4.1 qualifying offer from Philadelphia and Marco Belinelli signed a one-year, $3.4 million qualifying offer from the New Orleans Hornets.

Ben Gordon, Raymond Felton, Michael Olowokandi, Stromile Swift, Robert Swift, Mickael Pietrus, Melvin Ely, Vladimir Radmanovic and Rasho Nesterovic are the other players who decided to sign qualifying offers to become unrestricted free agents a year later.

None of those players wound up re-signing with their teams, but the Wizards remain optimistic about keeping Young since the team can pay him more money. The Wizards could offer Young five years with 7.5 percent annual raises, while other teams can only give him a four-year deal with 4.5 percent raises.

xBulletproof
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Wow. I wouldn't have expected that, but I don't blame them for not giving him 9 million a year.

Pacer Fan
12-18-2011, 11:26 PM
wow, I don't know what to think about that...just wow at the moment!

xIndyFan
12-19-2011, 12:05 AM
ouch, guess this means nick will be moving on next year.

Midcoasted
12-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Under the new CBA, this will become more of the norm I'm afraid. Shows that even though Nene only got what like 14, that would be like just short of 20 under the old CBA comparatively, if I just had to take a guess.

Eleazar
12-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Someone might want to change the title to "re-signs" instead of "resigns" I was confused at first.

pezasied182
12-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Well, he'll be a UFA in a year from now, that's when he'll get the long term contract and big bucks in his mind.

Justin Tyme
12-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Someone might want to change the title to "re-signs" instead of "resigns" I was confused at first.

I started to play Anthem yesterday and explain the difference between resign and re-sign with the amount of posters using resign when a player re-signs with a team. I decided it wasn't worth the effort, since it's been pointed out before. Nothing changed then, so why would it now.

Lance George
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't believe a hyphen is required to be grammatically correct (I could be wrong). I understand why the hyphen is often used─to avoid confusion─but surely the context was sufficient for that, no?

Nick Young steps down from the Wizards for the one-year, $3.7M qualifying offer.

Nick Young extends his contract with the Wizards for the one-year, $3.7M qualifying offer.

You really couldn't grasp which was meant from the title alone? It "confused" you? Seriously? Notice, too, that I said he resigns with Washington, not from Washington. That's another major clue.

Miller-Time
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Hm us needing a shoter of his caliber - may have been not the worst thing to forget our 'we don't go after RFA's' for a second. When the market for a guy that makes 17,4 ppg is so favorable for us that we could have netted Nick Young for cheap :/

Imagine how he would improve our SG rotation...

docpaul
12-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd be willing to bet this guy is on our radar. Younger version of JCraw, a position of need for us. Has a pretty tight relationship with Paul George. This also seems like a clear signal that he's on his way out (regardless of what the Wizards brass have said).

My guess is that they're going to push hard core on Gordon, but this guy would be a 2nd or 3rd tier choice.