PDA

View Full Version : Baron Davis to the Knicks

Pacemaker
12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Just going up on ESPN com: Sources say Baron Davis has committed to sign with Knicks. Link on the way

Kstat
12-18-2011, 02:06 PM
He should do ok there, once his 2-month back injury heals up next week.

vnzla81
12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Great fit for him, now I know to have the knicks in my LP for sure :)

Marlin
12-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

btw, who do the Knicks have at PG, besides him? Honest question, can't remember right now

pathil275
12-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Bibby I think.

Kstat
12-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

btw, who do the Knicks have at PG, besides him? Honest question, can't remember right now

Tony Douglas.

avoidingtheclowns
12-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Don't forget Shump-Shump http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2011/12/16/2641167/in-case-you-missed-knicks-training-camp-live

BKK
12-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Saw the highlights from the NY-NJ gam last night and they may have something interesting in Iman Shumpert...

31andonly
12-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Wow...how good are the Knicks gonna be this season?

IMO they have one of the best frontcourts of the league in Chandler, Amare and Carmelo. Their bench is probably not very deep, but add Bibby and Baron Davis to the team and I'm sure they're gonna make some noise in the east.

PR07
12-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Eh, I don't see them as being all that great. Outside Chandler, does anyone on that team play defense? Baron, Melo, and Amare certainly don't.

Kstat
12-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Eh, I don't see them as being all that great. Outside Chandler, does anyone on that team play defense? Baron, Melo, and Amare certainly don't.

Outside of Chandler, who on Dallas played defense? Dirk, Kidd and Terry certainly didn't.

It depends what you mean by "great," but their frontline is arguably the best in the NBA. Their guards are terrible, though. A lot will be on Baron's shoulders.

vnzla81
12-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Defense doesn't matter if you are blowing teams by 120+ points.

PR07
12-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Is that why D'antoni's team's have had great playoff success? (sarcasm)

idioteque
12-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow...how good are the Knicks gonna be this season?

IMO they have one of the best frontcourts of the league in Chandler, Amare and Carmelo. Their bench is probably not very deep, but add Bibby and Baron Davis to the team and I'm sure they're gonna make some noise in the east.

Bibby is pretty much done. Watching him with the Heat last year he seemed like a shell of his former self. Because they're so thin, the team is more vulnerable to injury than most. I see the Knicks doing about what they did last year, maybe a little worse since Baron is a downgrade from Chauncey IMHO.

PR07
12-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Outside of Chandler, who on Dallas played defense? Dirk, Kidd and Terry certainly didn't.

It depends what you mean by "great," but their frontline is arguably the best in the NBA. Their guards are terrible, though. A lot will be on Baron's shoulders.

Kidd actually played very good defense on Wade and is still one of the better defensive PG's in the league.

DeShawn Stevenson was in the starting lineup solely for his defense and is one of the exceptional perimeter defenders in the league. (ask LeBron)

There is also that guy named Shawn Marion who is a pretty good defensive player himself (ask LeBron).

Brendan Haywood is a pretty good backup defensive center.

That's 5 key good defensive players (Chandler, Kidd, Stevenson, Marion, Haywood) to the Knicks One (Chandler).

xBulletproof
12-18-2011, 03:43 PM

Defense always matters. They're not going to score that much. They have 2 great scorers and 1 okay scorer. They'll combine for 65 or so. Who is going to score the other 60?

vnzla81
12-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Multiple West conference finals and one Amare suspension away from going to the finals? I call that success.

Kstat
12-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Kidd actually played very good defense on Wade and is still one of the better defensive PG's in the league.

DeShawn Stevenson was in the starting lineup solely for his defense and is one of the exceptional perimeter defenders in the league. (ask LeBron)

There is also that guy named Shawn Marion who is a pretty good defensive player himself (ask LeBron).

Brendan Haywood is a pretty good backup defensive center.

That's 5 key good defensive players (Chandler, Kidd, Stevenson, Marion, Haywood) to the Knicks One (Chandler).

Haywood plays terrible defense, and Stevenson played about 5 minutes a half. I'll give you Marion, but that's all of two above average defenders. No, Kidd doesn't count at his age.

Dallas's two best players were not good defenders.

vnzla81
12-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Defense always matters. They're not going to score that much. They have 2 great scorers and 1 okay scorer. They'll combine for 65 or so. Who is going to score the other 60?

I know that defense matters, but a team with that many weapons is going to be hard to stop, I don't know for sure were are those extra 60 coming from but I could tell you that in Mike's system anybody can score, any scrubs from the bench could go for 20 at anytime.

Kstat
12-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Phoenix was a Robert Horry hip-check away from a probable NBA title run in 2007. The Suns would have steamrolled Utah and Cleveland as easily as the Spurs did.

D'antoni also managed to get within 2 games if the NBA finals without Amare Soudemire for pretty much the whole season in 2006.

Is his style playoff-friendly? No. With a little luck, could his teams have won it all in the past? Absolutely.

Sookie
12-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Phoenix was a Robert Horry hip-check away from a probable NBA title run in 2007. The Suns would have steamrolled Utah and Cleveland as easily as the Spurs did.

D'antoni also managed to get within 2 games if the NBA finals without Amare Soudemire for pretty much the whole season in 2006.

Is his style playoff-friendly? No. With a little luck, could his teams have won it all in the past? Absolutely.

Yea, people give him a hard time, but he was going against the Lakers and Spurs those years. Anyone would have lost.

PR07
12-18-2011, 04:45 PM

With a little luck, you could say that about any playoff team. Welcome to sports.

Kstat
12-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Case in point: D'Antoni can win a championship. It just hasn't happened yet.

And no, not every team can say they had the eventual NBA champ on the ropes and got goaded into suspensions that killed their season. I'm not talking about a lucky bounce here or there.

PR07
12-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Case in point: D'Antoni can win a championship. It just hasn't happened yet.

And no, not every team can say they had the eventual NBA champ on the ropes and got goaded into suspensions that killed their season. I'm not talking about a lucky bounce here or there.

Jim O'Brien can win a championship. It hasn't happened yet.

Case in point: A lot of things CAN happen. It's unlikely that D'Antoni's style ever will actually win anything though. Defense typically rules in the playoffs where games become more of a half-court game. His best chance was when we had an all-time great PG in Nash, as it's doubtful he gets that type of player again. It's certainly not Baron Davis.

Sollozzo
12-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Knicks are at worst the third best team in the East. Miami is the only team I would say is definitely better.

Knicks and Heat could reignite their old rivalry in the playoffs. That would be intense.

Kstat
12-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Jim O'Brien can win a championship. It hasn't happened yet.

Terrible comparison. One has a lot better odds than the other.

rock747
12-18-2011, 06:02 PM
The knicks seem like one of those teams that have a good regular seasons but never really get anywhere in the post season.

danman
12-18-2011, 06:55 PM
If Baron is motivated, he could make a diff for the Knicks. Good gamble for them. They are a "win now" team that badly needs a guard. Baron fits.

PR07
12-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Terrible comparison. One has a lot better odds than the other.

That wasn't the point. Point being, using the premise that someone can or "has the ability" to win a championship doesn't really add any support to an argument. There are 30 teams that "can" win an NBA championship, but it doesn't mean they all will.

I'd be stunned if a D'Antoni team ever wins a championship because that type of style doesn't really translate to the NBA playoffs. Bringing up the point that they were close except for whatever Robert Horry play doesn't do it for me either. Jim O'Brien's Celtic team was in the Eastern Conference Finals and pushed the Nets to a Game 6 in 2001-02, that didn't justify him as a good coach.

Kstat
12-18-2011, 08:55 PM
His team was outplaying the eventual NBA champs in 2007 before half their rotation got suspended at the end of a game 4 blowout and cost them the series.

Had it not been for that, they probably win the series and they would have rolled to a championship. That had absolutely nothing to do with D'Antoni's style.

12-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Irrelevant.

Can't stay healthy, fat, and old.

PacerGuy
12-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Stern should step in & reject his *** to the IR!
His "back injury" is the cold, bent envelope of '11...

PR07
12-18-2011, 09:13 PM
His team was outplaying the eventual NBA champs in 2007 before half their rotation got suspended at the end of a game 4 blowout and cost them the series.

Had it not been for that, they probably win the series and they would have rolled to a championship. That had absolutely nothing to do with D'Antoni's style.

And the Celtics played the Nets "really tough" that year. Using suspensions as a crutch to justify D'Antoni as a championship caliber coach when he has none doesn't do it for me. A lot of teams suffer tough breaks during the playoffs whether it be suspensions, injuries, whatever, and unfortunately that's a good part of the games these days.

The Indianapolis Colts may have been a Dwight Freeney ankle injury from beating the New Orleans Saints in the Super Bowl, does that make Jim Caldwell a championship caliber coach?

Infinite MAN_force
12-19-2011, 06:30 PM

They are gonna be really fun to watch and will win a lot of regular season games. However in a playoff series? I think their atrocious defense will be exposed. I'd welcome the match-up.