PDA

View Full Version : Pacers head in right direction with West

vnzla81
12-17-2011, 11:59 AM
It's good to know that DC and West are good friends.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-irving-impresses-in-debut/

Pacers Head in Right Direction With West: Entering this offseason, the Indiana Pacers wanted to make a splashy acquisition. After years of rebuilding and stockpiling young talent, the Pacers wanted to sign a top free agent to lead the promising group and eventually turn them into a contender. Indiana found the right man for the job last week, signing David West to a two-year deal worth $20 million.

West will provide the leadership and experience that the Pacers need while giving them the opportunity to compete in the Eastern Conference. The 31-year-old is the epitome of humble and hardworking so he’ll have no problem fitting in Indiana. After spending his entire career with the New Orleans Hornets, West is excited about the change of scenery.

“This was at the top of my list, the Pacers and the organization,” West said during his introductory press conference. “Obviously there were other opportunities out there but they didn’t present this opportunity. This was the best opportunity, especially in this condensed season and moving forward. It’s a good core. It’s not just one or two guys, there’s a good core group here. In examining it I feel like I can really add and bring something to have an impact on this core group.”

With Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert entering their prime, West has high hopes for the Pacers. In fact, he insists that this is the most talented team he’s played on since entering the league.

“More than anything, I think this team has the pieces to win,” West told Pacers.com. “This is going to be the most talented team that I’ve been on since I’ve been in the NBA, from one through twelve. I’m just being honest. I’m looking forward to it. They’re already a young and exciting team and I feel like I can add to it.”

West was attracted to the situation, but Darren Collison also deserves some credit for the signing. West and Collison briefly played together in New Orleans and are still good friends. In recent months, Collison had been communicating with West and selling him on the idea of playing for the Pacers.

“We talked throughout the lockout,” West said with a laugh. “He was calling me and texting me saying, ‘Hey D, when this thing is over…’ We spoke about it because we’ve always maintained a good relationship even after he left. With him being here and also being familiar with some of the other guys, it felt like the right place to be.”

In March, West tore his ACL and has been rehabilitating his left knee ever since. While he has been cleared to return to the court, the Pacers are taking things slow with West. The power forward was working out on his own during the lockout, but the team wants to make sure he’s completely healthy before putting him out on the floor.

“I’m ready to go, but we’re going to be smart,” West said. “I was talking with Coach [Vogel], Larry [Bird] and David [Morway], and they just want to be smart because there’s no way to simulate the NBA practice or game environment. It’s going to take some time just to get back into the flow of things. When it’s time to rock and roll, I’ll be ready.”

pizza guy
12-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Can't wait to see him on the court.

DAVIDLOCKHART40
12-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Can't wait to see him on the court.

i just hope it dont take alot of minutes away from tyler....

CreekShow
12-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Good job DC!

sportfireman
12-17-2011, 12:44 PM
i just hope it dont take alot of minutes away from tyler....

I don't want Tyler to lose minutes either but if the combination of DC and West is going to help us win games I am all for it.

imawhat
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Granger recruited him as well. There was an article about it at the end of last season.