PDA

View Full Version : It's more like regular season

pacer4ever
12-16-2011, 04:31 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20111216/SPORTS04/112160357/1062/SPORTS04
Starters usually play about half of a preseason opener.

That may not be the case tonight when the Indiana Pacers take on the Chicago Bulls at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Pacers coach Frank Vogel wants to play his rotation players 80 percent of the game because there are just two preseason games this year.

"It is a little weird," Pacers swingman Danny Granger said. "Normally the rotation players play a lot of minutes in the final two preseason games. But it is the final two preseason games because we're only playing two games."

Power forward David West won't play tonight because he's still learning the system and power forward Jeff Pendergraph is dealing with a knee problem.

Five key elements to watch tonight:

Playing time: Vogel wants to give everybody playing time, but the condensed schedule may prevent that.

"I haven't really figured out the rotation yet, to be honest," he said. "Our core guys will play the bulk of the minutes. With some of the guys who won't be in the rotation, I'll try to get them some minutes as well. This will be as close to a regular-season game as possible. I won't get anybody upward of 35-38 minutes."

Bench production: The Pacers could have one of the best benches in the league this season.

Vogel: "I'd like to see our bench elevate the level of play all year. I want to be able to wear teams out over the course of the game because we have so much depth. Having a good bench will help carry us throughout this season, since there will be a lot of games played during a short period. It starts now."

George Hill factor: Darren Collison remains the starter at point guard, but Hill will still get plenty of playing time.

Vogel: "Right now, we're going with Darren as our starter. George will back him up and play (shooting guard). He's maybe going to play equal minutes as Darren but in two different positions. Right now it's Darren as the starter and we'll see how it develops."

The wild card: Lance Stephenson, who has been impressive in camp, has the skills. Now it's time for him to combine skill with an improved attitude.

Vogel: "I just want to get his feet wet. I want to get him out there and get a little bit of experience. He's not going to play huge minutes because we want to see George and (Collison) as much as possible, but he'll see some time."

Competitiveness: The Bulls had the best record in the NBA last season. The Pacers competed well in four of the five playoff games against them in the first round. Can they continue to compete with the Bulls?

Vogel: "It's always exciting playing against the Bulls whether it's the preseason, regular season or postseason. I think we're hoping to establish a little bit of a rivalry there. . . . We want to come after them."

Pacers, Redd meet
Pacers officials met with former All-Star Michael Redd. Redd, who spent the first 11 years of his career with the Milwaukee Bucks, has played a total of 61 games in the past three seasons combined because of injuries.
So DC starting but Hill playing equal minutes at 2 different spots. Sounds like Price wont be in the rotation.

McKeyFan
12-16-2011, 07:50 AM
He keeps saying "Right, now" Darren will start, etc. Sounds like we may not be too far away from Hill starting.

PaulGeorge24
12-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Can't wait to see Paul George in action! His teammates all mentioned him when asked who improved/impressed the most during camp.

Also looking forward to seeing him finish stronger with the bigger body.

Trader Joe
12-16-2011, 10:37 AM
The Bulls also said they will treat this like regular season game, after last year's playoffs, I'm expecting to see a pretty intense game for just the pre-season. I'm intrigued to see who starts on Rose.

Since86
12-16-2011, 10:41 AM
The Bulls also said they will treat this like regular season game, after last year's playoffs, I'm expecting to see a pretty intense game for just the pre-season. I'm intrigued to see who starts on Rose.

I'd die laughing if Foster picked up right where he left off, and just bodied DRose as he was coming down the lane and planted him on his ***.

Trader Joe
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd die laughing if Foster picked up right where he left off, and just bodied DRose as he was coming down the lane and planted him on his ***.

Hans comes over to throw a forearm into his chest as he's on the way down.

pacers74
12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Who plays bsckup PF tonight? With no West and no Pendergraph, Tyler is going to get pretty tired playing 48 minutes tonight. Does Famous back him up or is that other guy Matt Rogers? It shows that if Tyler or Fluffy go down we could be thin a PF. I just hope Pendergraph is ready to play by the regular season and that he can contribute.

PaulGeorge24
12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Who plays bsckup PF tonight? With no West and no Pendergraph, Tyler is going to get pretty tired playing 48 minutes tonight. Does Famous back him up or is that other guy Matt Rogers? It shows that if Tyler or Fluffy go down we could be thin a PF. I just hope Pendergraph is ready to play by the regular season and that he can contribute.

Granger probably will get some minutes at PF.

Trader Joe
12-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I'd imagine we will see some small lineups.

Probably some Paul George 1 vs. 5 too, when everyone else needs some rest.

DocHolliday
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM

When did we sign a cat to play PF? Is it so hard to type a person's real name so everyone understands who you are talking about?

tadscout
12-16-2011, 11:11 AM
He keeps saying "Right, now" Darren will start, etc. Sounds like we may not be too far away from Hill starting.

He's been saying that for a little while... but he said that was purely his opinion once... Until he cites a coach I'm going to treat it like that (an opinion).

pizza guy
12-16-2011, 11:12 AM
When did we sign a cat to play PF? Is it so hard to type a person's real name so everyone understands who you are talking about?

Fluffy is David West. We had a thread called "David West Nicknames" and Fluffy was one we found and kinda decided it would be the one.

bambam
12-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Says Pendergraph is out, but Pendergraph said his knee was fine and ready to go during media day.

pacers74
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM

If you have been around here since we signed West and you have been reading the West threads, then you would know that it was decided that his new knickname is Fluffy.

tadscout
12-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Says Pendergraph is out, but Pendergraph said his knee was fine and ready to go during media day.

@hjsportsed
@mikewellsnba Is Pendergraph's knee issue new or continuation of last year's injury?

@MikeWellsNBA
@hjsportsed from last year's injury

Sounds like they are taking the same approach to him as they are with West.

See, there is a big difference between rehab - practice - and game speed. A player coming off a knee injury should take it gradually.

bambam
12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like they are taking the same approach to him as they are with West.

See, there is a big difference between rehab - practice - and game speed. A player coming off a knee injury should take it gradually.

Welcome back J.Bender

tadscout
12-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Welcome back J.Bender

:rolleyes:

If the Pacers didn't take the precautions - most complaining about it - I imagine would be calling our trainers inept if one of them got hurt coming back to soon.

So, which way would you have it? Take it safe so he can be closer to 100% or put caution to the wind and gamble on progressing the game speeds to quick and hurt their knee again? -- They have only had 1 week of practice, this isn't like normal seasons where you'd get more practice time conditioning in before a pre-season game.

owl
12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
In a compressed season that is where these players recovering from knee surgery may be a hindrance. The Pacers need another bigman and we may not get another decent one until the draft.

Since86
12-16-2011, 12:23 PM

If the Pacers didn't take the precautions - most complaining about it - I imagine would be calling our trainers inept if one of them got hurt coming back to soon.

So, which way would you have it? Take it safe so he can be closer to 100% or put caution to the wind and gamble on progressing the game speeds to quick and hurt their knee again? -- They have only had 1 week of practice, this isn't like normal seasons where you'd get more practice time conditioning in before a pre-season game.

DING DING DING.

We had people complaining about how awful the training staff while the head trainer, David Craig, was winning awards as being the best trainer in the NBA.

The moral of the story is some people just like to *****, and will use anything and everything in order to do so.

tadscout
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
The moral of the story is some people just like to *****, and will use anything and everything in order to do so.

DING DING DING. :p

graphic-er
12-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Then Granger throws the ball at him as he gets back up.

LOL!

Major Cold
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

I completely agree. It is obviously Darren's job to lose, but I would much rather have DC off of the bench whether Hill or anyone else takes charge.

Even in the practice footage, DC is slow on closeout and lax off the ball. I really want to see him get fired up on the defensive end and stop dribble penetration.

I do not think distributing the ball will be the issue. I think DC can do that, especially with a PnR player. I do not think he will lose it over the offensive side of the ball. He will lose it because he does not defend.

Lance...I hesitate to say this. Unless he defends, he will not be a regular in the rotation. I don't care if he can be flashy, Tins was flashy. I do not want Lance being on the court all about Lance being on the court. To what is given to him he needs to work within that. The more consistency he shows the more chances he will get to shine and show the flash.

I am so pumped for tonight!!!!:dance::dance:

bambam
12-16-2011, 12:34 PM

It was more of a joke. Bender was one of my favs, but never panned out. He was a freak of nature on the court. The only concern I have, is a problem still from last season. IF, there is still lingering problems then i will wonder why we signed him. BUT, I am guessing like you said they are being careful.

bambam
12-16-2011, 12:38 PM
DING DING DING. :p

Yes, cause i am sure neither of 2 have never *****ed. Wow, some people need to get off the edge and stop taking everything sooooo serious.

http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/WhySoSerious-960x540.jpg

imawhat
12-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Recovering from a major knee injury is a bumpy road. It doesn't matter how perfect your rehab has been.

It takes time, and it's very normal to have soreness and swelling when you push it really hard for the first time

PaceBalls
12-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Then Jeff just stands holding his arms up with a smirk on his face. :laugh:

God, I've missed that.

MagicRat
12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Then Jeff just stands holding his arms up with a smirk on his face. :laugh:

God, I've missed that.

:box:

Jeff = :unimpress

BRushWithDeath
12-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Probably some Paul George 1 vs. 5 too, when everyone else needs some rest.

That doesn't sound fair to the rest of the league.

They get 7 when he's out there right?

Hicks
12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
So this is going to be the new thing? We're done trashing/knocking Tyler, so it's on to Paul George? Outstanding. My life wouldn't be complete without the downers.

BRushWithDeath
12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
So this is going to be the new thing? We're done trashing/knocking Tyler, so it's on to Paul George? Outstanding. My life wouldn't be complete without the downers.

It's trashing Paul George to say he isn't as good as Eric Gordon.

Okay.

Hicks
12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
It's trashing Paul George to say he isn't as good as Eric Gordon.

Okay.

I really have to explain this?

BRushWithDeath
12-16-2011, 01:24 PM
I really have to explain this?

Seeing as I your statement was utterly baseless, I'd say yes.

Not one person has trashed Paul George.

tadscout
12-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes, cause i am sure neither of 2 have never *****ed. Wow, some people need to get off the edge and stop taking everything sooooo serious.

My response wasn't aimed directly at you... there are just some people in general around here like that.

For example, a person moaning about signing West b/c of his knee, yet clamoring for Baron Davis (who has knee and back issues).

It's not the joking that is bothersome, it's people being hypocritical and having two standards.

As well as some just seem to be here to add negativity.

Hicks
12-16-2011, 01:26 PM
It's like with Tyler. Other people build him up (perhaps too high, sometimes perhaps not), so it's 'your job' to come knock him back down with sarcasm. Whether the points being made are fair or foul, it's the spirit of it all that has me rolling my eyes at the negativity.

tadscout
12-16-2011, 01:28 PM
It's like with Tyler. Other people build him up (perhaps too high, sometimes perhaps not), so it's 'your job' to come knock him back down with sarcasm. Whether the points being made are fair or foul, it's the spirit of it all that has me rolling my eyes at the negativity.

:amen: :boomer:

Hicks
12-16-2011, 01:30 PM
It's as if being a homer on an Indiana Pacers forum is offensive to some. Let'em dream. It's easy to offer an alternative opinion withing wizzing in anyone's cereal.

righteouscool
12-16-2011, 01:35 PM

I could not thank this post enough. The sheer negativity and opinion that is thrown around as objective fact on this forum is obnoxious.

Trader Joe
12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
I love Paul George, I think that's what upsets me the most. People are building him up and then in two years from now if he's not Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant's illegitimate love child, people will say he never reached his potential. That is what I'm trying to prevent.

Hicks
12-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Why worry about something like that? There might be less than a handful who would make such a complaint. I couldn't care less if they do.