PDA

View Full Version : Michael Redd visits Indy

2minutes twoa
12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
“@MikeWellsNBA: Michael Redd was in Indy for more than the shrimp cocktail at St Elmo's today. He met with the Pacers, too”

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

croz24
12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
1 year MAX and I'd think about it.

EvanMassey
12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
He'd be a solid signing on a one-year deal. If he stays healthy, and he likes Indy, he's the kind of guy who'd be loyal and re-sign next summer if we wanted him back. Great shooter, and can score the basketball. If he can stay healthy, he'd be a great addition. Low-cost, high-reward type of player. I say go for it.

2minutes twoa
12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Wouldn't hurt to have a veteran scorer mentor the young guys.

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

pizza guy
12-15-2011, 09:10 PM
don't know what he has left in the tank, but he's probably better than Rush

vnzla81
I'm in, we couldn't get a clutch player in Crawford lets get the other clutch player left Michael Redd......... Plus he can make some funny commercials ;)

idioteque
For a year? I'd give him a shot. If he is healthy he is probably about Dunleavy caliber.

Psyren
12-15-2011, 09:12 PM
No thanks. Ill pass

Edit: Let me add why. He's not essential to this team. We aren't short on guards by any means. I know we have 2 spots open, but Bird likes to keep 1 spot open, and I'd rather use the remaining spot on a big guy, which we are short on (Based on our big guys having injuries.) I'm not at all against Michael Redd himself, but he hasn't been relevant in a while, and he's just not important to this team. Let the young fellas play.

And mind you, I'm a huge Michael Redd fan. Always loved his game and that sweet left handed 3 point shot is as smooth as they come. But I'm also a huge Iverson fan, and I don't want him either.

TMJ31
12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
For a one year deal, perhaps a 2nd year team option... Sure, why not?

crunk-juice
12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
sure why not. come on down.

CreekShow
12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I think id pass too. If they do sign him, hopefully its short

diamonddave00
12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
I'd do a 1 year 2 mil deal , thats about the limit I'd go.

Shade
12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
No.

PR07
12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
A wise man once said, "You can never have enough shooters." Sign me up.

crunk-juice
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
No.

quit beating around the bush

Pacer Fan
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
for a 1 yr. 2.5mil and no more. He has torn his acl and mcl 2 times each in the same knee. Not sure he could provide to much. Very very high risk.

Brad8888
12-15-2011, 09:27 PM
He would fit in perfectly with his knee issues. What I don't know is if it is possible at this point to pick up anyone without knee issues. Seriously. That seems to be a prerequisite to becoming a Pacer.

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Mike Wells

The Pacers want to add a scorer to the bench. Their pursuit of Mayo and Crawford didn't work out, so now they're looking at Redd.

Brohan Cruyff
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I honestly thought he retired like four years ago. I wouldn't give him a contract longer than a year, and even then it has to be cheap. Like...really cheap.

cdash
Pass.

BlueNGold
The Pacers better put a knee surgeon on the payroll.

vnzla81
He would fit in perfectly with his knee issues. What I don't know is if it is possible at this point to pick up anyone without knee issues. Seriously. That seems to be a prerequisite to becoming a Pacer.

Don't be a hater :p

Anthem
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
No thanks. Ill pass

Edit: Let me add why. He's not essential to this team. We aren't short on guards by any means. I know we have 2 spots open, but Bird likes to keep 1 spot open, and I'd rather use the remaining spot on a big guy, which we are short on (Based on our big guys having injuries.) I'm not at all against Michael Redd himself, but he hasn't been relevant in a while, and he's just not important to this team. Let the young fellas play.

And mind you, I'm a huge Michael Redd fan. Always loved his game and that sweet left handed 3 point shot is as smooth as they come. But I'm also a huge Iverson fan, and I don't want him either.
Absolutely. Well said.

BringJackBack
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
I'll pass.

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Michael Redd was one of my favorite players in the league.

I'd be willing to bring him in cheap for a year or 2.

Sparhawk
12-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I say yes, but I think another big man is the more pressing need.

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
He's a good guy and could still have good game left.

He knows the Midwest inside and out so if we're interested in signing him to a reasonable contract for a year or 2, that might interest him.

We don't have much to lose.

I don't about him starting, but he'd be a good guy to have.

Psyren
12-15-2011, 09:55 PM
He's a good guy and could still have good game left.

We don't have much to lose.

don't about starting, but he'd be a good guy to have.

You can't even think about having Redd start.

He hasn't played 82 games combined over the last 3 seasons.

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 09:57 PM
You can't even think about having Redd start.

He hasn't played 82 games combined over the last 3 seasons.

I wasn't counting on it anyway.

OakMoses
12-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Bird must really be sure he can move Rush. He keeps acting like we don't already have 5 SGs on the roster.

Psyren
12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Bird must really be sure he can move Rush. He keeps acting like we don't already have 5 on the roster.

I noticed that too.

It's almost like Bird doesn't consider Rush a part of the team, since he seems to be set on us adding another guard.

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I miss this Michael Redd. I'm sure he still has decent game left in his tank, but not anywhere near that level.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HsQqsWv397Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Psyren
12-15-2011, 10:03 PM
I miss this Michael Redd. I'm sure he still has decent game left in his tank, but not anywhere near that level.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HsQqsWv397Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I miss that too. He was a real joy to watch, but those days are long gone.

Doddage
12-15-2011, 10:05 PM
1 year MAX and I'd think about it.
:laugh:

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 10:06 PM
I noticed that too.

It's almost like Bird doesn't consider Rush a part of the team, since he seems to be set on us adding another guard.

We need a shooter and Redd is that, that's the only reason, Danny is pretty much the only person that can shoot from outside with no problem.

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
The first comment on this video made me feel like posting it.

go to the pacers they need a pure shooter (9 hours ago)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/24dG15oomRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If he can score around 10 PPG, that'd be great. Or make the most of the minutes he'd get. His shooting touch is still there. That's something you don't lose, unless you cause serious injuries to your arms.

jeffg-body
12-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I like the move only if they fill the 15th spot as well. Redd can shoot the lights out and we need someone who can light it up from three like Redd can. Not big minutes but a game changer when he is hot. Seems like a good guy that gets along and is a good team player as well, veteran leadership.

diamonddave00
12-15-2011, 10:17 PM
A cheap 2 year 4 mil total deal, 2nd year team option would probably be about the cost for him. Huge IF but he could be a good low risk- high reward signing. Playing maybe 10 minutes a night off the bench.

NapTonius Monk
12-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Love a pure shooter! I'm on board. Liken it a LITTLE to the Chris Mullin signing.

DaveP63
12-15-2011, 10:54 PM
If he can come off the bench as needed (at a decent price) and still shoot it, what are you loosing?

Steagles
12-15-2011, 10:55 PM
If Rush gets traded and Dahntay/Jeff need another veteran mentor these guys, I'd love Redd. Hell, I love Redd as our guy to alleviate the scoring pressures from Danny in the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Young
12-15-2011, 10:55 PM
I guess if its for one year it would be alright. IF Redd can stay healthy I think he can still be a very productive player but staying healthy is a big if for him. Over the past 3 years Michael Redd has played in 10, 18, and 33 games. There is not a lot of hope that he can still play.

Psyren
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
The problem is just that there's SO much question.

I'm not talking about D-West or Pendergraph questions.

We're talking about a guy who hasn't done anything significant literally in years. Counting on him to be one of our clutch options isn't a very good idea.

It'd be somewhat different if he had only missed a year due to this or some games here or there. But he hasn't done in anything in multiple years.

I won't be happy with it, but I can live with a 1 yr contract for the minimum, but nothing more than that. I suppose if he can't play, it'd be just like having a cheaper Posey, right?

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
2 year/4M sounds reasonable. :signit:

We'd be able to still use Lance in rotation if Redd plays some SF with Danny or Paul sitting down.

PG Collison-Hill
SG George-Redd/Lance
SF Granger-George/Redd
PF West-Hansbrough
C Hibbert-Foster

Psyren
12-15-2011, 11:01 PM
2 year/4M sounds reasonable. :signit:

We'd be able to still use Lance in rotation if Redd plays some SF with Danny or Paul sitting down.

PG Collison-Hill
SG George-Redd/Lance
SF Granger-George/Redd
PF West-Hansbrough
C Hibbert-Foster

I could live with it if the 2nd year is a team option.

Eleazar
12-15-2011, 11:01 PM
A wise man once said, "You can never have enough shooters." Sign me up.

but big men are more important.

pwee31
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Low risk, high reward, why not for the right deal? Solid vet, always professional to my knowledge. Use to stroke it before injury.

Can still get big. Can't waive Price, trade Rush...etc..

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I could live with it if the 2nd year is a team option.

I'm sure he'd take it.

If we offered him that, I think he'd be happy to take it and stay in the Midwest.

He'd get time.

rock747
12-15-2011, 11:05 PM
veteran shooter off the bench? I'm in.

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Redd's always been more of a SG anyway so if he's out there with Danny or Paul, they'd play SF and Redd would be at SG.

If he's out there with Lance and Danny and Paul are sitting, he'd play some SF.

I think he'd be happy to come here and we'd welcome it.

Not too much buzz regarding him and especially not in the Central Division so I think he'd accept a reasonable 2 year/4M offer. Even with a team option in the second year.

Who knows what we'd get from him? We don't have much to lose and it's worth it.

PacerGuy
12-15-2011, 11:13 PM
MIL really has no b/u SG, maybe we do a S&T w/ Redd for Rush?

(They would have S.Jax, Dun & Rush & wouls require a "3 yr. plan", of their own immediately!)

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Low risk, high reward, why not for the right deal? Solid vet, always professional to my knowledge. Use to stroke it before injury.

Can still get big. Can't waive Price, trade Rush...etc..

I've been wanting us to trade Price for a future second round pick.

Frees up a spot on the roster and opens up some more cap room.

As for Rush, he's going to be riding the bench this season.

Aw Heck
12-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Redd has played 61 games over the past three seasons. With all of the back-to-backs this season, I have a difficult time seeing his knee holding up.

beezer615
12-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Redd has played 61 games over the past three seasons. With all of the back-to-backs this season, I have a difficult time seeing his knee holding up.

Thats why we need him. He's not being asked to take the scoring load like in MILW. He'd be perfect for those back2back2backs when Granger has no legs to jump on and he hasn't played much more than 10 a night for a while.

At this point, our roster is so deep that other than Hibbert and Granger, all the minutes are getting chopped to bits, so no one is really going to be asked to be superhuman. Just step up and take the opportunity you got.

beast23
12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
If he can score around 10 PPG, that'd be great. Or make the most of the minutes he'd get. His shooting touch is still there. That's something you don't lose, unless you cause serious injuries to your arms.
Any perimeter jump shooter will tell you that the most important things are form, consistent motion and legs. So it is questionable whether Redd will ever be capable of playing again.

I agree with anyone that would state that there is a high probability that Redd adds nothing to the team. He hasn't played much in 3 seasons. Yet, he is Michael Redd. Very high risk, yet a slight chance of a very high reward.

I also agree with Psyren that the biggest need is a front court player, not another guard. Yet... jeesh. He's Michael Redd.

We have 2 slots available. From my perspective, Rush will be used this season about as much as Posey. The only difference is that Posey no longer has a uniform, Rush has one but will rarely wear it.

We have a ton of cap space remaining. I guess I would go with signing Redd to a one year contract for 2M, with a 1 year team option for the same amount. If we find ourselves needing a roster spot, we cut Redd if he doesn't work out or we cut someone else who either hasn't worked out (Rush, Stephenson) or someone not being used (possibly Price or Pendergraph).

If we signed Redd and he proves useful, there are certainly more than one candidate that will not distinguish themselves that would enable us to obtain an extra roster spot if one is needed.

But at any rate, the cost of signing Redd in hopes we strike gold is no more so than carrying other players that are no longer needed or that just can't seem to get it together.

Hicks
12-15-2011, 11:44 PM
I say yes, but I think another big man is the more pressing need.

Agreed, but my hunch is if/when we sign another 2, we will then trade Rush for another big.

EvanMassey
12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Agreed, but my hunch is if/when we sign another 2, we will then trade Rush for another big.

Question is, what kind of big can we get for Rush? Any possibilities just to throw out the kind of range that we could get?

Hicks
12-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Not sure, but I have to imagine a third string big isn't out of the question.

Anthem
12-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Try to imagine a situation where we say "Crap, there's nobody that can play the 2 for us. Wish we'd signed Redd in the offseason."

Natural SGs on the Pacers roster:
- Paul George
- George Hill
- Dahntay Jones
- Brandon Rush
- Lance Stephenson

Redd's a nice shooter, but how many of those guys would he play over? Now try to imagine us saying that about the center spot. A lot easier, right?

Natural Cs on the Pacers roster:
- Roy Hibbert
- Jeff Foster

We need a center.

EvanMassey
12-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Not sure, but I have to imagine a third string big isn't out of the question.

What about something like Speights from Philly? They were shopping him just a week ago, so maybe there's something there.

Anthem
12-15-2011, 11:53 PM
What about something like Speights from Philly? They were shopping him just a week ago, so maybe there's something there.
Rush for Speights? I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. I doubt they would, but it would be fantastic for us.

ApNeDtRiEeW
12-15-2011, 11:56 PM
If he can give us ANYTHING close to what he's done over his career in spurts off the bench, and he's healthy,than it's a no brainer to give him a try.

Especially if we can flip Rush for a big.

Looking at the roster, we really could use the outside shooting. Outside of Granger/Hill/Collison the cupboard is bare.

And he may be getting up there in age...but a shooter never loses his shot right? And he's got one of the best out there. He could be our poor man's Ray Allen.

The Big Smooth
12-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Thats why we need him. He's not being asked to take the scoring load like in MILW. He'd be perfect for those back2back2backs when Granger has no legs to jump on and he hasn't played much more than 10 a night for a while.

At this point, our roster is so deep that other than Hibbert and Granger, all the minutes are getting chopped to bits, so no one is really going to be asked to be superhuman. Just step up and take the opportunity you got.

I think you are right. This season is going to be very different. With all the back-to-back games, having depth is even more important. I think we should pick up Redd if he is willing to accept a limited role. If you believe Larry Bird, Lance Stephenson is extremely talented, and I expect that Larry wants to allow him to develop. So I doubt Larry signs anyone who is going to take a lot of minutes away from Lance. So, if Redd is willing to take a very limited role, then yes, sign him to give us depth.

Peck
12-16-2011, 12:16 AM
If we exchange Rush for Redd I'm all for it. In other words if we either trade or just cut Rush and bring Redd on for the year no problem.

We desperately need another big but at the same time, assuming he has any knees left at all, this guy was one of the most dead eye shooters in the league for awhile.

You don't need big min. from him, you just need him to come in every now and then and be a threat.

But if it doesn't happen I'm not going to sweat it either, I'm good going as is as long as we get another body to help at the 5.

imawhat
12-16-2011, 12:21 AM
I really don't understand what we're thinking. Why must we insist on taking minutes away from younger guys with players that are worse?

pacer4ever
12-16-2011, 12:24 AM
If we exchange Rush for Redd I'm all for it. In other words if we either trade or just cut Rush and bring Redd on for the year no problem.

We desperately need another big but at the same time, assuming he has any knees left at all, this guy was one of the most dead eye shooters in the league for awhile.

You don't need big min. from him, you just need him to come in every now and then and be a threat.

But if it doesn't happen I'm not going to sweat it either, I'm good going as is as long as we get another body to help at the 5.

Rush is the better player on the court at this time in his career. In fact I cant believe im saying this but the Bucks get the better of the FA signings between Dunleavy and if we get Redd. The guy is toast and he has been for some time. He is a liability on defense now and couldn't beat you or me off the dribble:laugh:. He looked awful last year when I watched him play. Brandon Rush gives you his shooting along with good defense I pass easily.

RLeWorm
12-16-2011, 12:31 AM
no that means lance ain't getting no minutes

CableKC
12-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I really don't understand what we're thinking. Why must we insist on taking minutes away from younger guys with players that are worse?
Cuz, Bird wants to put together the deepest team that he can put together with veteran expierence while West is under contract. Hence the 2 year offer to JCraw. He wants to compete now.

Also, something to consider....the FO sees more of the players during practice an training camp and whether they can contribute now or later. If they really thought that Lance can contribute now....they wouldn't be looking at Players like Redd. Think about it, they want to go after an oft injured SG that has barely played over the last couple of years then to give the minutes to Inferno/BRush/Lance.

I'm not saying that I agree with this...I'm just saying that this is what I think Bird is doing.

imawhat
12-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Redd is the Troy Murphy of shooting guards. If he wants to compete now, then he should avoid inferior players.

jeffg-body
12-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Maybe we have a trade in the works with Rush for a big (JO)?

Really?
12-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Wrote this in another thread because I had not seen this one yet but this deserves to be here.

Originally Posted by CableKC

[In response to where would Redd be in the pecking order]

He'd be in the same pecking order where JCraw or Mayo would have been.....playing between 24 to 26 mpg.

I'm just telling you that IF the Pacers needed to add another Wing Player ( which is something that Bird obviously thinks ), then I'd rather go after a Player like Affalo then Redd.

But as I said.....I'd live with our Backcourt the way it is.....while spending the $$$ and shore up our Frontcourt.

I do not think he would be filling the same role as Mayo or Crawford, dude has played 28 games in the past yr, shot worst than 25% from 3 last year and only averaged 4.4 pts, and did not offer anything else statistics wise. He is really only a 2, not even a 3, which we do need depth at, but for stats like that we can just use Lance, that is the reason behind him being unnecessary.

I am not sure what Bird was aiming for with this pick. 2 is already packed, I could understand Mayo due to the potential and ability to score, I can understand Crawford, having a guy that is a proven shooter with playoff experience. But Redd would basically fill in for the role that Posey had, on the bench watching the game in a suit.

But I am with you that adding one more center with size to the front court would be nice, if Roy goes down(knock on wood) we will be up Sh$ts creek.

Can not imagine the Jeff's being that productive in a rotation at the center position.

Hicks
12-16-2011, 01:42 AM
I think that unless he is surprisingly healthy, Redd would be like Chris Mullin was in 2000. Little to no minutes, positive veteran presence, not much more. I'm cool with that.

Freddie fan
12-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Are they allowed to give players a workout when they come in to talk to them and is this typically done? Redd's last couple of seasons have been so completely torn up by a pair of ACL/MCL surgeries that we are completely taking wild guesses, I think, about whether he has anything left. Since he returned from the most recent surgeries late last season and then had the off season to continue his recovery, it seems possible that his knee and game could be in the best shape they've been in for the past 2 or 3 years, but without seeing him play, how could anybody know?

imawhat
12-16-2011, 01:59 AM
I doubt we're spending money on a guy like Michael Redd to play very few minutes. We could sign a D-leaguer to be the 5th rotation guy. Who knows...

crunk-juice
12-16-2011, 02:11 AM
havent had a shooter this pure since Travis Diener

PacersandIU
12-16-2011, 02:33 AM
I don't see a problem with bringing him in for 1 year with a team option for a second. He's our Kyle Korver. He's a veteran who won't make a lot of mistakes and can be our Chris Mullen/Steve Kerr/Ray Allen type player. I'm not saying he's on the same level as those guys, but winning teams always have one guy that if nothing else has a shot that defenders respect.

The one concern I have is what was mentioned: that he'll steal time from young guys; however, I think I'll lean on the wisdom of Bird and Vogel, because I can see a situation arise when we need a solid 3-point/scoring threat to prevent double and triple teams on our better scorers if the young guys prove too inconsistent to draw much attention. It's just smart team building.

CableKC
12-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Try to imagine a situation where we say "Crap, there's nobody that can play the 2 for us. Wish we'd signed Redd in the offseason."

- Paul George
- George Hill
- Dahntay Jones
- Brandon Rush
- Lance Stephenson

Redd's a nice shooter, but how many of those guys would he play over? Now try to imagine us saying that about the center spot. A lot easier, right?

- Roy Hibbert
- Jeff Foster

We need a center.
I totally agree...I have no idea why Bird is pursuing Guards first over a Frontcourt. I mean, I really hope that Pendegraph makes a huge difference and impact to the Team.....but I'm not holding out hold YET....at least until he proves himself on the court. Even if it was Erick Dampier or JONeal....I'd tell you that I'd be WAY more comfortable if we added him to shore up our Frontcourt than add another Guard.

Infinite MAN_force
12-16-2011, 03:18 AM
I don't see why not if he can be had for cheap. Veteran presence never hurts, especially with an All Star pedigree.

CableKC
12-16-2011, 04:02 AM
I don't see why not if he can be had for cheap. Veteran presence never hurts, especially with an All Star pedigree.
It won't hurt....I just think that the FO is focusing ( as far as we know ) on the wrong part of the court ( as in the "Back" instead of the "Front" court ).

As Anthem said.....I could live with the backcourt the way that it is now....sure, having a Scorer like JCraw, Mayo or Redd would be great.....but we have enough depth in the Backcourt that I wont' be scared if any of the Starting Wing Players or DC goes down. But if Hibbert goes down, we're royally screwed once Foster starts resting cuz he can't handle 28 mpg a night. No knock on Pendegraph.....but if we're left with Foster and Pendegraph, Hansbrough and West ( both of which COULD do as a backup Center if you squint real hard ).

Bird said he wants to create the deepest Bench....well, we're not that deep in the Frontcourt Center rotation....not at all.

You want a deep Frontcourt? It would be deep if you have Foster sitting on the bench waiting while playing the role of Solo....basically playing behind Hibbert/West/Hansbrough/???? as the 5th Big Man in the Frontcourt rotation.

Peck
12-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Rush is the better player on the court at this time in his career. In fact I cant believe im saying this but the Bucks get the better of the FA signings between Dunleavy and if we get Redd. The guy is toast and he has been for some time. He is a liability on defense now and couldn't beat you or me off the dribble:laugh:. He looked awful last year when I watched him play. Brandon Rush gives you his shooting along with good defense I pass easily.

My understanding is that Redd is an A+ guy in the locker room and is a pro's pro. That could all just be rumor and such but with a young group like ours another positive veteran who won't complain about playing time & will help groom the younger guys at his spot and can still give you a few min. here & there sounds like what we need.

IndySDExport
12-16-2011, 05:32 AM
I would have to imagine that if we picked up Redd we would actively try to move some other pieces. In my opinion, Rush would have to be gone. Maybe this is Larry's thought anyways, move Rush for a pick or a big and bring in Redd as a cheap, one - two year, low risk veteran like David West.

DAVIDLOCKHART40
12-16-2011, 07:09 AM
talk about injury prone my lord.... this is just what we need...

DAVIDLOCKHART40
12-16-2011, 07:14 AM
lance is certianly not our sg...

His offensive skill set, which is heavily reliant on isolations and muscling his way to the basket, will probably have to be adapted at the next level, given his lack of explosiveness and quickness. While Stephenson’s touch around the basket is not bad, his overall shooting during his freshman season was extremely poor. He shot a dismal 21.9% from beyond the arc, converted under 50% from inside the arc and made just 66% of his foul shots.

On film, his shooting motion with his feet set is not terrible. He has a fairly fluid motion and release. But he has issues with excess lower body movement, and when he shoots off the dribble, his mechanics are less consistent and he has a tendency to fade away while shooting.

The biggest issue here is Stephenson’s decision making. He settles for bad shot after bad shot, in spite of miserable percentages and open teammates. He seems to lack any sort of understanding of shot selection. Even when his shots were not falling, he forced the issue and, if his teammates sought their own offense, he tended to pout and fade into the background. This is likely the primary cause for concern from NBA scouts, as Stephenson has never really shown the ability to play team-oriented basketball and could certainly have issues adapting to a situation where he’s simply a role player.

Kemo
12-16-2011, 07:42 AM
lance is certianly not our sg...

His offensive skill set, which is heavily reliant on isolations and muscling his way to the basket, will probably have to be adapted at the next level, given his lack of explosiveness and quickness. While Stephenson’s touch around the basket is not bad, his overall shooting during his freshman season was extremely poor. He shot a dismal 21.9% from beyond the arc, converted under 50% from inside the arc and made just 66% of his foul shots.

On film, his shooting motion with his feet set is not terrible. He has a fairly fluid motion and release. But he has issues with excess lower body movement, and when he shoots off the dribble, his mechanics are less consistent and he has a tendency to fade away while shooting.

The biggest issue here is Stephenson’s decision making. He settles for bad shot after bad shot, in spite of miserable percentages and open teammates. He seems to lack any sort of understanding of shot selection. Even when his shots were not falling, he forced the issue and, if his teammates sought their own offense, he tended to pout and fade into the background. This is likely the primary cause for concern from NBA scouts, as Stephenson has never really shown the ability to play team-oriented basketball and could certainly have issues adapting to a situation where he’s simply a role player.

Gee, a pre-draft assessment from a webpage don't mean SQUAT really..
From what I have personally seen out on the court, the above quoted regarding Lance's basketball skills are off-base......

12-16-2011, 07:57 AM
He's played 55 games in three years.

HC
12-16-2011, 08:12 AM
He's played 55 games in three years.

I doubt Bird and co. are counting on him to be anything more than a rotational guy and/or locker room presence.

BoomBaby33
12-16-2011, 08:47 AM

- Paul George
- George Hill
- Dahntay Jones
- Brandon Rush
- Lance Stephenson

- Roy Hibbert
- Jeff Foster

We need a center.

I totally agree with this. We will need defense in the playoffs, and that's what I want in my 3rd and 4th SG's anyway. People complain about Rush, but he can play defense, and everybody knows that Dahntay's montra. Im fine with our guards. I want frontcourt depth. With Jeff's back issues and Pendergraph's and Dwest's knee injury history, we need more bigs. Lets go get Dalembert if hes still available. Dont really know about Famous, im sure we will see alot of him tonight and the other camp bigs.

RWB
12-16-2011, 09:47 AM
I have to keep thanking everyone for noting it's Redd's veteran leadership they are looking for. With the short training camp and the Ps adding the Triangle you're going to need some vets to help (Lance and Paul) pickup things easier.

Reminds me when the PAcers picked up John Long as a short timer before they found their shooter in Reggie. Just seems to point Bird is not convinced he has his final starting SG and that may not be Paul George. Seems like several on PD are convinced PGs natural position should be at the three, maybe Bird agrees.

90'sNBARocked
12-16-2011, 10:15 AM
- The Indiana Pacers appear to be the front-runners for Michael Redd.

Redd, the former Bucks standout shooting guard who is an unrestricted free agent, visited with Pacers officials Thursday. Redd also has drawn keen interest from Washington, New York and Boston.

- Bovada lists the Bucks as 100/1 to win the NBA title. The Miami Heat are the favorites at 9/4.

Read more: http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/bucks-beat-jackson-isn-t-happy-with-current-contract/article_eb9d12fc-27a3-11e1-b0f9-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1ghtsDowN

90'sNBARocked
12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/135708353.html

Pacers show interest in Redd

The Indiana Pacers, still with money to spend under the salary cap, are showing interest in former Bucks guard Michael Redd.

League sources indicate the Pacers met with Redd on Thursday as they continued working to finalize their roster. Earlier this week the Pacers signed free agent forward David West to a two-year, $20 million deal.

Redd played 11 seasons with the Bucks, making him the longest-tenured player in franchise history. But he played in just 61 games during the past three seasons due to twice tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee.

Redd first tore his ACL and MCL in a game against Sacramento at the Bradley Center on Jan. 24, 2009. He played in 18 games the following season before suffering another devastating knee injury on Jan. 10, 2010 when the Bucks played the Los Angeles Lakers at the Staples Center.

The former Ohio State star missed nearly all of last season but returned in the final weeks and played in 10 games while averaging 4.4 points in 13.4 minutes. When he played on the final night of the regular season in the Bucks' overtime victory at Oklahoma City, Redd knew it would mark the end of his time with the Bucks.

The 32-year-old Redd ranks fourth all-time on the Bucks scoring list, behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Glenn Robinson and current Bucks assistant coach Sidney Moncrief.

Redd ranks second all-time behind Moncrief in free throws made and second to Ray Allen in three-point field goals made. He is fifth in minutes played despite all the time missed due to injury.

In the summer of 2005 Redd signed a max contract worth $91 million over a six-year period. He is currently an unrestricted free agent.

The Pacers were interested in free agent Jamal Crawford, who reportedly signed a one-year, $5 million deal with a player option with the Portland Trail Blazers on Thursday.

Unclebuck
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I see no downside ato signing Redd, none

Mackey_Rose
12-16-2011, 10:27 AM
My understanding is that Redd is an A+ guy in the locker room and is a pro's pro. That could all just be rumor and such but with a young group like ours another positive veteran who won't complain about playing time & will help groom the younger guys at his spot and can still give you a few min. here & there sounds like what we need.

Fans might not like him, but Rush is well liked in the locker room.

More importantly, he's a better player.

PaulGeorge24
12-16-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd rather not.

We already have Paul George starting and George Hill who is going to get minutes at the two.

If one of them is out we have guys like Rush, Jones and Stephenson who can fill the void.

There's absolutely no need for Michael Redd on this team. (This would've been a strange thing to say a couple of years ago, sadly..)

cordobes
12-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm very curious to see what Redd can still do after his last injuries and surgeries. No clue whatsoever if he still has basketball left in him.

90'sNBARocked
12-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I see no downside ato signing Redd, none

I think (sorry sook) that we should cut ties with AJ Price and sign Redd

Freddie fan
12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
If Brandon Rush isn't in the Pacers' rotation this year, which I hope he's not, this is a team that lacks outside shooting. Dunleavy (.402) and Rush (.417) both shot over 40 percent on 3s. The best returning 3-point shooter is Granger (.386) and George Hill isn't bad (.377), but that's about it unless guys like Collison (.331) and George (.297) really step it up.

So that might be one need a guy like Redd could help fill.

Speed
12-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd like a non guaranteed, minimum contract. Probably won't happen, but that would be my hope. I can't imagine him having hardly anything left in the tank, but still I guess it can't hurt. Nor would it keep you from making another move as players become available closer to the trade deadline.

ThatPacerFan
12-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Like countless people have said in this thread, and unlike those who have opposed the possible signing for the most non-sensible reasons, this absolutely brings NO risk here on our part. Why not have a pure shooter at our disposal, especially in a crammed NBA season where other guys legs might get tired after playing 3 games in 3 straight nights?

The fact is we got EMBARRASSED last season by one of these pure shooters who came off the bench in Kyle Korver. Most of the elite teams in the league have a great shooter coming off the bench. Mavs had Terry, Hawks had Crawford, Bull with Korver, and the Heat had James Jones.

To you guys squabbling over the fact that we're short on bigs: Hibbert has played an average of 80 games each season so far in his career. I think he's going to be fine. On another note, I've really heard some great things about Jarrid Famous. His size and length at 6'11, 240 will impress coach Frank Vogel and more than likely he'll be signed whether or not we decide to pick up Redd.

I'm all on board for a LOW RISK 1 year contract, no matter how much it is.

Sollozzo
12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I see no downside in signing him if he really is a pro's pro like Peck said. He could be sort of a "Byron Scott" for the team (minus the championship rings). I really would like to sign another big body though. Scoring isn't something that I'm worried about right now. We are going to be putting up a ton of points every night.

What is Redd's health situation right now? His total games played in the past three years has been: 33, 18, 10.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/reddmi01.html

D-BONE
12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Except the BS even in the latter part of his career here had nothing near the injury baggage that Redd does. BS was still in great physical condition relative to his age. Redd has serious red flags in that area. Plus, BS had championship experience.

Unclebuck
12-16-2011, 11:04 AM

I see no reason to keep AJ, I've never thought he was an NBA player

tfarks
12-16-2011, 11:04 AM
This is a no-brainer. It's a short term gamble for a team with plenty of money to take them.

IF this guy can return to form, you have another scorer on the team matched only by Granger. Obviously, this is a longshot to say the least.

If he can't make such a thorough comeback, you still have someone who should be able to play a strong role anyway. This role seems like it would be played even better by Rush, but the Pacers FO hates the guy. A 40% 3pt shooter who plays defense should be getting minutes on any NBA team's roster.

If Redd gets injured again, you still have plenty of able bodies, and you cut bait.

Sollozzo
12-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Except the BS even in the latter part of his career here had nothing near the injury baggage that Redd does. BS was still in great physical condition relative to his age. Redd has serious red flags in that area. Plus, BS had championship experience.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious with that. Redd has played 61 total games over the last three seasons. That is beyond alarming.......

The more I think about it, I'd much much much rather use our money to sign ANY big man. Scoring is not going to be an issue for our club this season.

BPump33
12-16-2011, 11:11 AM

That's a strong statement. I disagree.

On Redd, I wouldn't mind either way. I trust Vogel to give the minutes to the deserving player.

Scot Pollard
12-16-2011, 11:12 AM
no that means lance ain't getting no minutes

He still will if Redd plays some SF with Danny and Paul sitting down.

Redd's mostly a SG, but if he's out there with Lance and George Hill or DC, he'll play some minutes at the 3.

Scot Pollard
12-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Redd is the Troy Murphy of shooting guards. If he wants to compete now, then he should avoid inferior players.

I wouldn't call him that. :rolleyes:

Scot Pollard
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I still think Bird will sign a cheap third string center just to have.

I'd love for him to trade Rush to Cleveland for Ryan Hollins.

D-BONE
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
As long as another big is acquired, then I have no problem. Pending his physical condition, of course. Agree that another inside guy should be the priority though.

Brad8888
12-16-2011, 11:22 AM
We should take Michael's advise with respect to signing him at this point

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HVo9KPxm7cU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gamble1
12-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Rush is not a pros pro or a leader at all and Red has atleat earned the respect of players in the nba . Rush is a marginal rotational guy which are a dime a dozen in the nba and I don't want any of our players following in the footsteps of rush.

D-BONE
12-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Regardless of any other moves, if we go Redd the one thing - perhaps the only thing - we can bank on is additional quality mentoring for our young wings, including Lance & Rush, too, if he isn't shipped out.

Speed
12-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Maybe, but last year he was your best defensive point guard, on a semi bum wheel.

owl
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Aren't you the one who thought Derrick Rose was not an NBA player???
Or was that Josh McRoberts..... ;-)

BornReady
12-16-2011, 11:44 AM
I'd like a Redd signing
At the same time I think we should keep Price - he has played well for the Pacers

The Sleeze
12-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Are you trying to put Sookie into a coma?

Unclebuck
12-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Maybe I should have been more politically correct. With Lance coming on and with George Hill, AJ Price who is a serviceable backup NBA point guard is no longer needed on the Pacers roster. We do wish him well.

if you want to keep him at the 4th string point and the 15th roster spot, I won't throw a fit.

aceace
12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
There was a time that Redd was just as tough as Reggie. He's 32, which is aging but not ancient. Had a 57 pt game. If he could stay injury free which is the real question here.

pacer4ever
12-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Thats what ive been saying anyone who watched Redd last year could tell it's time for him to retire. He is basically just a shooter like I said probably couldn't take me off the dribble at this point. He doesn't have the quickness to defend anymore. Rush is a much better player at this point in time.

BPump33
12-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Redd is not a pg and never has been he is a SG and maybe at this point in his career a 3 who cant even guard 3s.

He's talking about AJ buddy.

Speed
12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
My mind has went to wondering if Redd could be this team's Byron Scott, minus the rings.

Thats really wishful think, I bet.

Freddie fan
12-16-2011, 12:26 PM
For whatever it's worth, here's a hopeful tidbit about Redd from the Columbus Dispatch.

Michael Redd has been working with local shooting coach Johnny Clark while awaiting the start of NBA free agency today, and Clark said that the former Ohio State star shows no ill effects from past injuries.

“He looks great,” Clark said. “The kid is healthy. He’s doing stuff on the court that it makes it just look like it’s just offseason workout for him and not like a guy coming off two knee surgeries.”

Clark said that “quite a few” NBA clubs have shown interest in Redd, 32, who has played for the Milwaukee Bucks since he left Ohio State in 2000. Clark said Chicago, Boston, New York, Miami, Phoenix and Denver are among them.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2011/12/09/rumblings-12-9-art-g8gf6ldh-1.html

imawhat
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I feel like I'm reading about Troy Murphy on a Lakers forum. You'll see soon enough if we sign him.

Blimp makes a good point. Outside of playing Lance a little too long, Vogel has been great about giving minutes to the deserving player. I trust him.

12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Aren't you the one who thought Derrick Rose was not an NBA player???
Or was that Josh McRoberts..... ;-)

Bazinga!

12-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe I should have been more politically correct. With Lance coming on and with George Hill, AJ Price who is a serviceable backup NBA point guard is no longer needed on the Pacers roster. We do wish him well.

if you want to keep him at the 4th string point and the 15th roster spot, I won't throw a fit.

Has Lance Stephenson proven himself serviceable?

Or a point guard?

Really?
12-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Not a big AJ fan but he would play a bigger role on the team than Redd. If DC goes down or gets traded that means we have to depend on GH to run point full time, if Lance is not ready then AJ will be second in line.

Redd is done, and has been for a while, if you want to talk about a guy coming in not demanding time, AJ has been doing that for years, as far as grooming younger players, that is cool, but seems our team has been meshing well so far and are grooming themselves.

Signing Redd will be exactly what a lot of people did not want, us making moves for the sake of making moves, there are no net positives to this decision.

Unless we grab a 3 to back up Granger and George or another center with size and experience we should not be signing anyone through free agency.

edc
12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I like redd at the wings ala ray allen of the celtics.

imawhat
12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Where's Trophy?

DAVIDLOCKHART40
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Gee, a pre-draft assessment from a webpage don't mean SQUAT really..
From what I have personally seen out on the court, the above quoted regarding Lance's basketball skills are off-base......

just sit back and watch ok.. we will see who see's talent.. once again i say he is a 12 man..nothing more..

Unclebuck
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't know how many of you are so sure that Redd is done. I'm sure the Pacers will check him out before they give him a contract.

Kegboy
12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't know how many of you are so sure that Redd is done. I'm sure the Pacers will check him out before they give him a contract.

Nah, Larry's just watching tape of old OSU games. Bet we sign Scoonie Penn, too. :yay2:

Kemo
12-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Seeing as how we really need a big, I think I would rather try aquire Brad Miller, if he is still a FA to fill the backup big spot alongside Foster..
We have enough guards, I don't want ANY minutes taken away from the development of Lance, because ultimately that's who would be hurt the most from signing Redd.

Freddie fan
12-16-2011, 02:58 PM
just sit back and watch ok.. we will see who see's talent.. once again i say he is a 12 man..nothing more..

I think I am more concerned about the off-court Lance Stephenson than most people here are, but I say that those who say he doesn't have talent must not have watched him play. I had no use for Stephenson at all until I saw him play that handful of games during that stretch before he was suspended last year. He threw some passes that looked like freakin' Magic Johnson was out there. He'd have the ball and suddenly find a narrow, unseen to mortals, passing alley and whip it to a teammate for a spectacular, yet easy score. He had the TV announcers cracking up because some of the passes were so good and so surprising - - "whoa, where did that come from?" I'm not saying that he'll be a success, but he does have at least one significant unusual talent on the court. (I get that you don't believe Larry Bird, but c'mon, you should believe me! lol).

Sookie
12-16-2011, 02:59 PM

It would be significantly better for Price if they did. He could find a team that he'd essentially be assured playing time on (there are so many that lack backup point guards, some even lack starting point guards..and a lot of them are your typical contending teams..)

It's similar to the Josh situation, he may have wanted to be in Indy, but he was better off elsewhere.

The Pacers, however, can have fun with one point guard who can't guard a chair. And two shooting guards being forced to play point guard.

I also don't understand why Larry continues to go after guards. We've got too many as it is. Unless he's looking for one more trade, we need a center.

edit: Not a fan of Stephenson's game, but I don't agree with that pre-draft report. Lance clearly likes to pass. He likes to have the ball in his hands 99% of the time, doesn't understand the fundamental's of the game, doesn't know how to run an offense, and consistently chooses the flashier pass over the simple - less likely to cause a turnover - pass. But he's not selfish when it comes to shots.

Freddie fan
12-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Not a fan of Stephenson's game, but I don't agree with that pre-draft report. Lance clearly likes to pass. He likes to have the ball in his hands 99% of the time, doesn't understand the fundamental's of the game, doesn't know how to run an offense, and consistently chooses the flashier pass over the simple - less likely to cause a turnover - pass. But he's not selfish when it comes to shots.

Despite my previous mostly positive comment, your scouting report sounds on target to me. Can he improve significantly on the mental part of the game? Who knows? It doesn't sound like you are too optimistic about it, though.

Naptown_Seth
12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
edit: Not a fan of Stephenson's game, but I don't agree with that pre-draft report. Lance clearly likes to pass. He likes to have the ball in his hands 99% of the time, doesn't understand the fundamental's of the game, doesn't know how to run an offense, and consistently chooses the flashier pass over the simple - less likely to cause a turnover - pass. But he's not selfish when it comes to shots.
That's the way I view it too which is why I'm not that hyped on him. His limited minute make for some odd statistical anomalies, but with that said his P36 numbers for both assists and TOs were high, I think 6 and 5. A 6 to 5 Assist to TO ratio is not good.

Not only flashy passing but also dribbling, trying moves that just don't matter as though it's Ruckers park and the rep of the move counts more than the effectiveness of it.

Maybe this will change with maturity.

pacer4ever
12-16-2011, 03:54 PM

He wants the ball 99% of the time because that is how he has been coached his whole life. He has never been taught or even asked to play off the ball.

He is a SG but a play making one. If he takes to coaching he can still learn to play off the ball and learn how to play in an offense instead of the coach saying "here Lance take over"

Pacemaker
12-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Seeing as how we really need a big, I think I would rather try aquire Brad Miller, if he is still a FA to fill the backup big spot alongside Foster..
We have enough guards, I don't want ANY minutes taken away from the development of Lance, because ultimately that's who would be hurt the most from signing Redd.

Not a bad idea :rolleyes:

Freddie fan
12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Interesting Michael Redd stat, although it's obviously not too relevant if he is washed up. Redd is the all-time NBA leader in turnover percentage, which is an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/tov_pct_career.html .

Also of note, David West is #45 all-time in this statistic and #14 among active players.

DieHard
12-16-2011, 04:51 PM
He wants the ball 99% of the time because that is how he has been coached his whole life. He has never been taught or even asked to play off the ball.

He is a SG but a play making one. If he takes to coaching he can still learn to play off the ball and learn how to play in an offense instead of the coach saying "here Lance take over"

This. Plus Lance is like 21 years old right. I'm optimistic that he will take well to the coaching of Shaw especially. Lance will have a positive impact on the team this year.

pacer4ever
12-16-2011, 05:00 PM
This. Plus Lance is like 21 years old right. I'm optimistic that he will take well to the coaching of Shaw especially. Lance will have a positive impact on the team this year.

I never though of Shaw ya If he listens to Shaw and lets him coach him that could really help Lance even be a game changer in his career. I just hope Lance takes to coaching he needs to understand he could be above average player and an all star level talent if he is mentored by Shaw(not sayin he will be an all star just could play at that level or near that level Reke Evans was near all star level as a rookie) if he plays hard and learns how to play the game of basketball and actually tries on defense. But Lance has to many questions still this season will tell you a lot of how his career will go.

Trophy
12-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Where's Trophy?

I've been meaning to add my two cents.

I'd be very happy to bring in Michael Redd for his veteran leadership and his shooting for a year or two.

He's someone I've liked for a while and we don't have too much to lose and he'd be a good guy to have in the locker room and off the bench for his solid shooting.

Freddie fan
12-16-2011, 05:34 PM

The Pacers' pattern under Vogel isn't hard to discern. He talks about having a much tougher, more physical team and the team's personnel actions are matching that. They are bringing in tough, physical players like West and Pendergraph and shipping out finesse guys like Dunleavy, Posey and Brandon. You may see a role for Brandon on this year's team, but I don't believe it will happen.

Vogel: "We play with enthusiasm, hard work, and we play blue-collar, smash-mouth basketball."

pacers74
12-17-2011, 06:03 AM
After watching last nights game, and I know it was just a preseason game, I would like the pacers to take a hard look at Redd. We need someone to come in off of the bench and be able to shoot 3's. Rush is about the only bench player who shoots form the outside and he is not reliable at all. If Redd could come in and just give us the threat of the outside shot it open things up for Tyler and whoever is playing inside with him. If Redd is capable of playing even 15-20 minutes a game we could at least leave black hole D.Jones buried way down on the bench.

owl
12-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Redd could fill the Chris Mullin role for this team. Come in and hit the lefty spot up three.
Or like Perkins did. Another spot up lefty three shooter.

granger4mvp
12-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Any thing new on redd yet

Trophy
12-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Any thing new on redd yet

It looks like we're still the front runners and according to the Knicks they aren't offering him anything.

UPDATE: The Knicks have no plans to offer Redd a contract, so Indiana, if they want him, are probably the frontrunners to sign the shooting guard.

"Well, it's not really the position we?re looking for," Knicks head coach Mike D'Antoni tells the New York Daily News. "We have a bunch of guys that can play the two. We'd like to have a little bit of a bigger guy that can go back to (power forward) some."

(ESPN NBA Rumors)

Anthem
12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Ok, so sign the guy to a cheap contract and flip Rush for Speights and we'll have had a pretty great offseason.

granger4mvp
12-17-2011, 11:13 AM
It looks like we're still the front runners and according to the Knicks they aren't offering him anything.

(ESPN NBA Rumors)

Thanks man ,kinda hope we pick him up think he could help

Trophy
12-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok, so sign the guy to a cheap contract and flip Rush for Speights and we'll have had a pretty great offseason.

Rush had a solid defensive outing last night, but he looks to be the odd man out so that'd be a good deal.

Jones is making himself the odd man out.

ApNeDtRiEeW
12-17-2011, 11:28 AM
All the reports I've seen about this say nothing about his current physical condition, only what he's done in the past.

Any info on that?

Trophy
12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
All the reports I've seen about this say nothing about his current physical condition, only what he's done in the past.

Any info on that?

The best I found regards his shooting these days.

Scout's take: "Redd's knee injuries should not be problematic for him going forward as a shooter. His release is mostly arms anyway, and once he learns to play without fear of another injury (something every player has to overcome after surgery), only his slashing ability should be severely diminished. Redd still knows how to find open looks deep, and his repaired knees should have no problem taking him to those spots, especially if he is playing off a dynamic wing or point guard." -- David Thorpe

Someone posted an article about how he is now.

EDIT: Courtesy of Freddie Fan.

For whatever it's worth, here's a hopeful tidbit about Redd from the Columbus Dispatch.

Michael Redd has been working with local shooting coach Johnny Clark while awaiting the start of NBA free agency today, and Clark said that the former Ohio State star shows no ill effects from past injuries.

“He looks great,” Clark said. “The kid is healthy. He’s doing stuff on the court that it makes it just look like it’s just offseason workout for him and not like a guy coming off two knee surgeries.”

Clark said that “quite a few” NBA clubs have shown interest in Redd, 32, who has played for the Milwaukee Bucks since he left Ohio State in 2000. Clark said Chicago, Boston, New York, Miami, Phoenix and Denver are among them.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...8gf6ldh-1.html

imawhat
12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
After watching last nights game, and I know it was just a preseason game, I would like the pacers to take a hard look at Redd. We need someone to come in off of the bench and be able to shoot 3's. Rush is about the only bench player who shoots form the outside and he is not reliable at all.

Not true. Brandon's career average is higher than 9 of Michael Redd's 11 seasons. Danny's also a better career 3 pt shooter.

idioteque
12-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Knicks are looking at him, too: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-10696193

granger4mvp
12-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Wouldn't mind to have him sure Knicks will take him of course

ApNeDtRiEeW
12-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Knicks aren't interested, somebody posted an article on the last page I think

croz24
12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Not true. Brandon's career average is higher than 9 of Michael Redd's 11 seasons. Danny's also a better career 3 pt shooter.

You can't just look at %s when determining who's the better shooter. The majority of Rush's 3pt attempts were of the spot up variety. When you are not the focal point of a defense, which guys like Reggie, Allen, or Redd were, and are able to simply camp out at the 3pt line waiting for a kick-out, you are likely going to shoot a higher %. But start running a guy like Rush off screens or pulling up off the dribble for 3 and you'd see that 3pt % decrease significantly.

Justin Tyme
12-17-2011, 07:04 PM

I'll 2nd that, and even 3rd it! Unfortunately, anytime you put Rush in a deal it becomes an automatic deal breaker.

Trophy
12-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, the Knicks don't have interest in Redd.

I hope we sign him sometime before Tuesday. He might not play, but it'd be good for him to watch and get to know the team.

Anthem
12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Well done!

3 8 thee great t h
12-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I'll 2nd that, and even 3rd it! Unfortunately, anytime you put Rush in a deal it becomes an automatic deal breaker.

I still think that Doug Collins would be a coach for brandon and speights would thrive under vogel. Brandon is a good defensive player and that's what Doug coaches. Speights is under too much pressure in Philly and frank would help him loosen up and the atmosphere we have here in Indy would be good for him. Also dougs is a no nonsense coach, rush would have clean up his act and doug will help him a lot. Speights would make us a deeper team with a scoring threat at back up center. I see it as a win win but I doubt this has even crossed birds mind or is even an option wish it was tho.

granger4mvp
12-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Do we still need to sign someone to fill out the roster ? And if so who

naptownmenace
12-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Has anyone heard anything about how Micheal Redd looked during his workout with the Pacers?

granger4mvp
12-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Has anyone heard anything about how Micheal Redd looked during his workout with the Pacers?

Yeah i would like to know what's going on with him myself

Psyren
12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
I haven't heard anything at all about Redd since this first report days ago.

Wonder what's going on with him

Trophy
12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
My guess for the hold up is on the Pacers' behalf due to the Lou deal.

CableKC
12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm not holding my breathe....my guess is that he'll go to NY like everyone else.

Freddie fan
12-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Here's a Washington Wizards website with an anonymous source giving a negative report yesterday on Redd's basketball readiness. Is it accurate? Who knows?

•Wizards interest in Michael Redd? According to a Tweet from Gery Woelfel of the Milwaukee Journal-Times: “A Michael Redd spotting in Indy. It’s believed Pacers, Knicks, Wizards and Celtics are on Redd’s radar.” But is Redd on the Wizards’ radar? Not likely. A team source indicates that Redd is simply not yet ready to play, and the team isn’t willing to use a roster spot to take on such a project.
http://www.truthaboutit.net/2011/12/washington-wizards-flip-saunders-film-dont-lie.html

naptownmenace
12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm afraid Redd might end up like Alan Houston and Penny Hardaway - prematurely retired due to knee problems.

Speed
12-19-2011, 04:57 PM
I would just rather let Lance play a bit and maybe take advantage of a nice trade at the deadline. Lance could use the experience and I'd rather not reach on a guy who isn't going to help them, for sure. If things go right we talking about 15 minutes a night, roughly. You can get by on Lance and D Jones for now.

Worse case you play G Hill exclusively at 2, give Paul all of Danny's back up mins at 3 and let AJ Price get a shot at the back up PG minutes.

Regardless of how you slice it, its 15 mins a game you need one of those 3 to play (AJ, D Jones, Lance), the way I see it. They should be fine and if not, make a move in 2 months, in a trade.

D-BONE
12-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I would just rather let Lance play a bit and maybe take advantage of a nice trade at the deadline. Lance could use the experience and I'd rather not reach on a guy who isn't going to help them, for sure. If things go right we talking about 15 minutes a night, roughly. You can get by on Lance and D Jones for now.

Worse case you play G Hill exclusively at 2, give Paul all of Danny's back up mins at 3 and let AJ Price get a shot at the back up PG minutes.

Regardless of how you slice it, its 15 mins a game you need one of those 3 to play (AJ, D Jones, Lance), the way I see it. They should be fine and if not, make a move in 2 months, in a trade.

Honestly, if we add nobody, I'd rather have Rush for those 15, but that ship has sailed. So I'll look at the silver lining - more minutes hopefully for PG & GH. DJ would be okay if he'd concentrate strictly on D and be on a short leash offensively. Lance...well, he scares me a bit, but maybe he'll do okay with the limited minutes.

vnzla81
12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah at this point I don't think we need to deal with another player with knee problems, let's just stay with what we got for now.

Pacer Fan
12-19-2011, 11:47 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/989309-nba-rumors-indiana-pacers-in-the-lead-to-sign-michael-redd

Indiana Pacers are emerging as the leading candidate to secure the services of former Milwaukee Bucks shooting guard Michael Redd.

Redd was one of the better scorers in the league before having his career curtailed by a series of knee injuries. Redd has only played 61 games in the last three years. Last year, he averaged less than 12 points per 36 minutes and only played 104 total minutes.

Redd is a big gamble, but if he can even approximate his former production, he would be a great addition for the Indiana Pacers, who have been searching for a new shooting guard. The Pacers previously struck out trying to get Jamal Crawford and failed to work a trade for O.J. Mayo from the Memphis grizzlies.

Redd is not a long-term answer, but he might be a short-term fill in for one season.

The Pacers already worked a trade to see Brandon Rush exchanged for Golden State's Louis Amundson. The trade allowed the Pacers to add some depth to their bigs while freeing up a logjam at the wing.

What they still need is a designated deep scorer to compliment Granger, Redd would fill that void. While he's not the type of player he once was, he still can be a solid roll player and would be a nice fit on the Pacers, who are doing a quiet job of building a valid NBA team.

While they won't be in contention for the East—the top three spots are almost sure to go to Miami, Chicago and New York—they could have a team that could contend with Boston, Philadelphia and Atlanta for that fourth spot.

Look for the Pacers to have a real breakout year. Redd would be another move in a series of smart acquisitions, including George Hill and David West.

Anthem
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Solid roll player, huh?

That's some quality journalism.

EDIT: Ah, Bleacher Report. No wonder.

3 8 thee great t h
12-19-2011, 11:58 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/989309-nba-rumors-indiana-pacers-in-the-lead-to-sign-michael-redd

Indiana Pacers are emerging as the leading candidate to secure the services of former Milwaukee Bucks shooting guard Michael Redd.

Redd was one of the better scorers in the league before having his career curtailed by a series of knee injuries. Redd has only played 61 games in the last three years. Last year, he averaged less than 12 points per 36 minutes and only played 104 total minutes.

Redd is a big gamble, but if he can even approximate his former production, he would be a great addition for the Indiana Pacers, who have been searching for a new shooting guard. The Pacers previously struck out trying to get Jamal Crawford and failed to work a trade for O.J. Mayo from the Memphis grizzlies.

Redd is not a long-term answer, but he might be a short-term fill in for one season.

The Pacers already worked a trade to see Brandon Rush exchanged for Golden State's Louis Amundson. The trade allowed the Pacers to add some depth to their bigs while freeing up a logjam at the wing.

What they still need is a designated deep scorer to compliment Granger, Redd would fill that void. While he's not the type of player he once was, he still can be a solid roll player and would be a nice fit on the Pacers, who are doing a quiet job of building a valid NBA team.

While they won't be in contention for the East—the top three spots are almost sure to go to Miami, Chicago and New York—they could have a team that could contend with Boston, Philadelphia and Atlanta for that fourth spot.

Look for the Pacers to have a real breakout year. Redd would be another move in a series of smart acquisitions, including George Hill and David West.

Uh Oh u used an article from bleacherreport be prepared to feel the wrath lol

Hicks
12-20-2011, 12:01 AM
He could be jumping through various hoops for teams in the form of paying a visit to each one's most trusted doctor of choice.

I know Bird mentioned during West's press conference that he had West looked at by Dan Dyreck (sp?) before signing him.

Pacer Fan
12-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Hey, I don't care who writes it, if it's national news and they have something good to say about the Pacers. That's all that matters, yes! I'm smiling!

Trophy
12-20-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm hoping we sign him just so we don't have to use "Black Hole" Jones.

Redd's role wouldn't be too big with us anyway.

tsm612
12-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Hey, I don't care who writes it, if it's national news and they have something good to say about the Pacers. That's all that matters, yes! I'm smiling!

I really wish people would stop calling bleacher report news.

Pacer Fan
12-20-2011, 12:26 AM
I really wish people would stop calling bleacher report news.

Keep wishin!

tsm612
12-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Keep wishin!

So do you think "articles" posted on bleacher report are news?

neosmndrew
12-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Bleacher Report articles are fan written, yes (I have written a few myself), but they are usually deleted if they are completely unfounded.

Pacer Fan
12-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Yea, and I come here for news too. hmmm

tsm612
12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Yea, and I come here for news too. hmmm

People post real articles here. Articles written by real reporters. Reporters with actual inside information. You know, people who interview players, talk to agents, etc.

People who write for bleacher report are bloggers. This guy has no sources. He's only writing about his opinion. That's not news.

Pacer Fan
12-20-2011, 12:55 AM
People post real articles here. Articles written by real reporters. Reporters with actual inside information. You know, people who interview players, talk to agents, etc.

People who write for bleacher report are bloggers. This guy has no sources. He's only writing about his opinion. That's not news.

Thanks for telling me Mr. O
;)

Lance George
12-20-2011, 01:36 AM
To be fair, the guy who wrote the Bleacher Report article wasn't just talking out of his *bleep*, but linked to a blurb from the Racine Journal-Times (http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/bucks-beat-jackson-isn-t-happy-with-current-contract/article_eb9d12fc-27a3-11e1-b0f9-0019bb2963f4.html):

- The Indiana Pacers appear to be the front-runners for Michael Redd.

Redd, the former Bucks standout shooting guard who is an unrestricted free agent, visited with Pacers officials Thursday. Redd also has drawn keen interest from Washington, New York and Boston.

Of course, that article is from last Thursday, so it really isn't anything new.

Solid roll player, huh?

That's some quality journalism.

EDIT: Ah, Bleacher Report. No wonder.

Redd has blown out his knee, twice. Maybe he's looking to break the physically handicapped barrier by becoming the first wheelchair-bound player in NBA history?

Anthem
12-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Redd has blown out his knee, twice. Maybe he's looking to break the physically handicapped barrier by becoming the first wheelchair-bound player in NBA history?
Anthem would like to thank GRH for this fantastic post that most people on the forum won't even get.

jeffg-body
12-20-2011, 05:12 AM
I sure hope that we have him checked out like we did with DW before signing him. I think if he checks out ok, he could be a great bench player if he understands his role as a bench player that would need to be a scoring threat from the outside to keep defenses from other team from collapsing in on our bigs. If he can still drill the 3 ball I think it is a possible lower risk potential higher reward if he can stay healthy. If it doesn't work out we would still have some flexibility cap wise to do a trade for another player from a team looking to shed cap space. I would love to see Redd on the team but if there is any other options out there via trade or signing I would weigh my options.

Freddie fan
12-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Suns sign Michael Redd: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7400761/free-agent-guard-michael-redd-signs-phoenix-suns

Will be interesting to see if he has anything left.

croz24
04-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Bump... goes to show you can't always write off players because of an injury or two. Something this board tends to do far too often.

Sandman21
04-11-2012, 07:08 PM
We would have had to also lure Phoenix's miracle-giving training staff away as well if we had wanted to sign him. :laugh:

daschysta
04-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Bump... goes to show you can't always write off players because of an injury or two. Something this board tends to do far too often.

To be fair though, he'd been through a bit more than a few bumps and bruises.

Good for him and good for Phoenix though, they need him more than we did. Plus their training staff is phenomenal and if the reports are true, quite a bit ahead of most others in the NBA. (they've invested in cryotechnology that is uncommon in the NBA to rave reviews from people like Grant Hill etc...) so who knows how much of an effect their treatment had.

Plus having a guy like Nash to get him the ball in just the right spots probably helped him get into the groove really quickly. He used to be one of my favorite 2 guards in the league so good for him.

xBulletproof
04-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Congrats to Redd. He's played half a normal NBA season at a few minutes a game. Not sure why you're celebrating that like it means he's out of the woods or like it means you'll suddenly win that gamble more often than not because you wont.

PR07
04-11-2012, 08:44 PM
It is still alarming that his nba.com player profile has him in a suit!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_redd/

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_michael_redd.jpg

croz24
04-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Congrats to Redd. He's played half a normal NBA season at a few minutes a game. Not sure why you're celebrating that like it means he's out of the woods or like it means you'll suddenly win that gamble more often than not because you wont.

And he's put up similar production to our beloved Barbosa and Hill. Considering many posters on here talked as if he'd never play again, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment, and he only seems to be getting better as the year progresses.

Hicks
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Are you trying to pat yourself on the back for this or something?

BornReady
04-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the guy, but honestly...

who cares?

Its not like he'd help us much. I'd much rather have Barbosa in the long term given that we resign him for a smaller contract then what hes on now.

TheDavisBrothers
04-11-2012, 10:39 PM

So it seems...

BornReady
04-11-2012, 10:41 PM
So it seems...

well, why don't I make it easy for you

good for you! *pat pat*

would you like a cookie?

*edit* not you, rather, the one who bumped the thread :D

croz24
04-12-2012, 12:59 AM

Don't think I was too adament on bringing in Redd but definitely thought he'd help. Threads are bumped here all the time that pertain to varying topics. I don't see what's wrong with bumping this thread after Redd has a stretch like he's had and seems to be headed back to a solid contributor.

DemonHunter1105
04-12-2012, 01:13 AM

Some people think it is more important that THEY win the argument than agree with someone else for being right and have to admit they were wrong.

Or in this case, trying to prove his opinion was the right one when we actually made the smart decision by not signing him.

These people are the ones you are better off not arguing with at all.

Hicks
04-13-2012, 12:01 AM
You know, DemonHunter, I've been meaning to ask you this for a long time: What the hell is that in your avatar, and what (presumably) movie is it from? It somewhat reminds me of the alien from the Predator movies, but I'm 99% sure that's not what that is.

Lance George
04-13-2012, 12:12 AM
You know, DemonHunter, I've been meaning to ask you this for a long time: What the hell is that in your avatar, and what (presumably) movie is it from? It somewhat reminds me of the alien from the Predator movies, but I'm 99% sure that's not what that is.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WjSE710bifQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DemonHunter1105
04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Haha yeah it is from a video game. It already came out and I played it to death so I have been thinking of changing my avatar.

Maybe something with Riddick in it, Game of Thrones, or the Spartacus TV series. I can't make up my mind. Then again I do not post that often so it isn't that big of a deal.

croz24
04-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Some people think it is more important that THEY win the argument than agree with someone else for being right and have to admit they were wrong.

Or in this case, trying to prove his opinion was the right one when we actually made the smart decision by not signing him.

These people are the ones you are better off not arguing with at all.

Not trying to win some argument. Trying to point out that you can't automatically give up on a player because of a few injuries. The Pacers are in a position where it might benefit them to take a chance on one of these "injury prone" players if they ever hope to win a title as an NBA franchise. Buy low, sell high right?

And that first season of Spartacus was the most enjoyable series I've seen. Episode 9 "Whore" might have the most epic build up to and then death scene of any movie out there.