PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

Anthem
12-15-2011, 08:33 PM
The Pacers need one more big. Jermaine has one year left. The Celtics have two first-round picks this year: their own and the Clippers'. Let's say the Celts offered the Pacers the better pick and Jermaine in return for cap space.

Would you do that trade?

Steagles
12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
A pick and JO for our 1st/Rush? Hell yes!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 08:37 PM
http://blogging4jobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/the-girl-who-cant-say-no1.jpg

idioteque
I'd rather have a younger guy with less injury risk fill in for when Jeff is hurt, but if no one talented that fits that bill, yeah I would bring JO in.

Speed
JO makes 6 million, roughly. His knees are shot and they retired 2 yrs ago. Its basically buying a 1st round pick, in a good draft. I take it back, I wouldn't do it. Too much $ for a 20 something pick.

DocHolliday
12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
I shouldn't be against it, but seriously, the Pacers finally get rid of every single clown from the JailPacers era and ya wanna bring back one of the 3 ringleaders (Jackson & Tinsley the other two)...you know he'll miss significant time...why bother?

dal9
12-15-2011, 08:40 PM
JO is only person even quasi-qualified to start/play at center for Celtics (other than Garnett, which they are apparently not going to do)...by all accounts, he is going to stay...they have a huge shortage at the 5..

CreekShow
12-15-2011, 08:40 PM
No Way. I waited way too long for Indy to get rid of him. I dont want to take him back, ever.

idioteque
12-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I shouldn't be against it, but seriously, the Pacers finally get rid of every single clown from the JailPacers era and ya wanna bring back one of the 3 ringleaders (Jackson & Tinsley the other two)...you know he'll miss significant time...why bother?

Really? I had already moved away from Indiana by the time of the brawl but my understanding from talking to friends back home is that most fans differentiated between JO and Tinsley/Artest/Jackson

Pacer Fan
12-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Oneal...How'd that work out for Boston!

DocHolliday
12-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Really? I had already moved away from Indiana by the time of the brawl but my understanding from talking to friends back home is that most fans differentiated between JO and Tinsley/Artest/Jackson

Once he had his nightclub open in Broad Ripple, it seemed like he and Tinsley would take turns being out for a few games with silly injuries, sinus infections, etc. usually starting in late January.

BlueNGold
12-15-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd make the trade to get the pick, cut him, then give Stanko a call.

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
I rather get Murphy, yes I'm serious.

TMJ31
12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I voted yes.

I like Jermaine as a person and he was my second favorite Pacer of all-time.

Things ended poorly, yes. And his health isn't ideal, but I would love for him to retire a Pacer.

He himself has echoed that sentiment on Twitter and in interviews. He wants to be remembered as a Pacer. If we accommodate that in a low risk, high reward type proposition, why not?

ThA HoyA
12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Once he had his nightclub open in Broad Ripple, it seemed like he and Tinsley would take turns being out for a few games with silly injuries, sinus infections, etc. usually starting in late January.

For all of jermaines faults: like not living up to the contract never being that true superstar..... Never once did he ever milk an injury or fake an injury IMO in fact him being reluctant to ever sit out to properly heal his injuries properly .... Killed his career..

Day-V
12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/umDr0mPuyQc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/umDr0mPuyQc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

EDIT: Now that I notice there's a 1st round pick then yes, I'd take the deal. Begrudgingly. Hicks, how do I change my vote?

Strummer
12-15-2011, 08:57 PM
JO makes 6 million, roughly. His knees are shot and they retired 2 yrs ago. Its basically buying a 1st round pick, in a good draft. I take it back, I wouldn't do it. Too much $ for a 20 something pick.

With two picks in the 20s we might be able to trade into the teens.

pezasied182
12-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, the Pacers need to spend the money anyway, why not get a draft pick with it

Pacerized
12-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I'd do it but more for the pick then for J.O.
Giving the cap space for his short term deal wouldn't be an issue. We won't use that cap space anyway and when we need it he'll be gone.
We'd be buying a pick for taking on J.O. 1 year contract. I'm not sure why the Celtics would do it though.

Pacer Fan
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I rather get Murphy, yes I'm serious.

I'd rather get someone that can sustain defensive pressure and actually be an improvement to the team while Roy is on the bench.

PR07
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't put Jermaine in Tinsley's category. The guy legitimately played through significant ailing injuries. It was only in his last year or so, when he wanted out that he started mailing it in. Before that, the guy always went into battle.

That being said, if he wanted to be a mentor for Roy, and yes, he could teach Roy a thing or two with a limited role, I'd be fine with it. However, if he still thinks he's our starting center or power forward, no.

My guess is he's not even on the Pacers' radar with Bird's still icy relationship with him.

BlueNGold
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone know if the two new guys on the roster, Famous and the other C, are any good?

Anthem
12-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm just looking at teams that are likely to pay the luxury tax this year, and seeing if they have overpaid backup centers they might want to get rid of.

The deal makes sense.

diamonddave00
12-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Jermaine is currently the only thing besides Garnett who even resembles a center on the Celtics roster.

Anthem
12-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Anyone know if the two new guys on the roster, Famous and the other C, are any good?
They might be solid third-string guys, but I wouldn't count on them for more than that. And with the money we have left, we ought to be able to pick up a decent backup. I strongly strongly strongly doubt Jeff is good for 66 games this season. And I like Jeff a lot.

Lance George
12-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd probably do it. I don't like the idea of losing some of our financial flexibility throughout the season, but:

(a) J.O. fills a need as an extra big man off the bench...

(b) I still kind of like the guy and would like to see his career end here, and...

(c) another pick would be nice, whether to keep or to add to a package to bring in a very good talent that may become available.

I'm also not convinced the Clippers' pick would be in the 20s. They look good on paper, but so have a lot of other unproven teams who went on to disappoint.

I'd do the deal.

gummy
12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, the Pacers need to spend the money anyway, why not get a draft pick with it

No we don't, according to the Star at least (no link, I read several articles there today and it was in one of them). I read that we've made it to the minimum amount of the cap that we must spend.

But even if we haven't, it doesn't mean we have to throw money at new guys. It only means we have to close the gap by giving more money to our current players at the end of the year.

diamonddave00
12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I fear the Pacers will be very lucky to get 40 game out of Jeff Foster.

DocHolliday
12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
For all of jermaines faults: like not living up to the contract never being that true superstar..... Never once did he ever milk an injury or fake an injury IMO in fact him being reluctant to ever sit out to properly heal his injuries properly .... Killed his career..

So for that 4 year stretch from 2000/01 through 2003/04 where he played most of the season he should've cut it back to 50 or fewer games played, like almost every other season he's had? :rolleyes:

Slick Pinkham
12-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Sure, assuming we pocket the pick, then cut Jermaine.

Sparhawk
12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Yes.

diamonddave00
12-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Since his Pacer days Jermaine has concentrated more on defense and rebounding instead of scoring in his limited playing time. Pretty much what the Pacers would want from a back up bigman.

littlerichard54
12-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I may be completely mistaken, but I swear that it was reported JO was retiring during this past offseason. Did anyone else hear this?

Kemo
12-15-2011, 09:59 PM
YES!.. But only if it is understood he would retire after this season..
That could also be the P.R. spin to it..

We need a backup big, and both JO and myself want to see him come back full circle and be able to retire as a Pacer...

If he's cheap then by all means , a resounding yes... sign him for this season and then let him retire...

We would then also have a higher pick ...

Not really much risk IMO to be honest...

All he would be is insurance for our bigs this season..

Psyren
12-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Sure, why not.

At least he's a big guy and not a guard. It'd be nice to see him retire a Pacer, though I don't know what he can still bring on the court.

diamonddave00
12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Jermaine did say when the rumored deal to Hornets for sign and trade for David West , he'd request to be released or he'd retire. He wants to play for a contender. Perhaps a return to Indy would change his mind about that his last season in Miami in 2009-10 he did average 13.6 points a game shooting 52% from the field im 70 games.

So in a way Jermaine actually helped the Pacers get David West.

jeffg-body
12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I am a bit torn on this idea. I would love to see JO retire a Pacer but I would wait and see if he is waived and try to get him at a cheaper price. The draft pick would be what would get me, if it was the higher draft pick heck yes.

pizza guy
12-15-2011, 10:22 PM
I'd do it. I want to see him retire as a Pacer, and the upcoming draft is supposed to be quite good.

diamonddave00
12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
You'd be lucky if the Celtics would even kick in a 2nd rounder in my opinion.

Swish
12-15-2011, 10:48 PM
As long as the offense doesn't come to a slow, grinding hault when he comes in, I'm all for it.

joeyd
12-15-2011, 11:01 PM
They might be solid third-string guys, but I wouldn't count on them for more than that. And with the money we have left, we ought to be able to pick up a decent backup. I strongly strongly strongly doubt Jeff is good for 66 games this season. And I like Jeff a lot.

I don't think we are going to pick up a better defensive guy than Jeff and get the same bang for the buck for the mpg that we hope to give someone behind Roy. I don't expect Jeff to play all 66 games this year, but I don't expect anyone else on the roster to do that either. 66 games is still a lot; I don't think anyone played in 100% of the games last year, and that includes the young guys.

I find it very encouraging that several teams were looking at Jeff as their potential backup center. As for JO, if he can log the minutes necessary for backing up Jeff backing up Roy (essentially Solo's minutes from last year) and can then retire a Pacer I'm all for it.

Anthem
12-15-2011, 11:35 PM
No we don't, according to the Star at least (no link, I read several articles there today and it was in one of them). I read that we've made it to the minimum amount of the cap that we must spend.

But even if we haven't, it doesn't mean we have to throw money at new guys. It only means we have to close the gap by giving more money to our current players at the end of the year.
Wouldn't hurt us, though. Backup big on a one-year contract, and a pick to go with it.

Doddage
12-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I doubt Ainge would want to relinquish a pick to us seeing as we took David West from the Celts. :devil:

Hicks
12-16-2011, 12:14 AM
I'd do it but more for the pick then for J.O.
Giving the cap space for his short term deal wouldn't be an issue. We won't use that cap space anyway and when we need it he'll be gone.
We'd be buying a pick for taking on J.O. 1 year contract. I'm not sure why the Celtics would do it though.

Yep. This won't happen.

Peck
12-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Larry Bird would rather suite up himself & play the 4 than have Jermaine back on the team. Let's not forget that there is no love lost between the two and Larry thinks less of Jermaine than Jermaine does of Larry.

That being said from a basketball point of view getting a free first round pick and a player for nothing makes really good sense.

But overall? No

ThA HoyA
12-16-2011, 12:44 AM
So for that 4 year stretch from 2000/01 through 2003/04 where he played most of the season he should've cut it back to 50 or fewer games played, like almost every other season he's had? :rolleyes:

I am talking about when he injured his knee against Detroit in the playoffs then never took the summer off. He played for team USA then continued to play even though he had a torn ligament in his knee. And where did I say he needed to cut back? He always kept coming back early from his injuries.

Pacersalltheway10
12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
If we can get a pick in this draft, yes you do that.

cordobes
12-16-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm just looking at teams that are likely to pay the luxury tax this year, and seeing if they have overpaid backup centers they might want to get rid of.

The deal makes sense.

It makes no sense whatsoever for the Celtics. They were willing to trade O'Neal to get David West, not on a salary dump and paying on the top of it. It'd leave the frontcourt way too thin.

Even if they wanted to dump his salary, a much better solution would be to trade him by March 15 - with enough money to pay the rest of his salary - to a team with cap space/TPE. In that case, a 2nd rounder would probably be enough. If the purpose is merely to avoid larger luxury tax payments, that's the proper way of doing things. No need to trade them so soon.

Sparhawk
12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
We need a third backup PF/C. JO could do it. He wouldn't need to play much, so I think he'd be a great fit. Plus, he'd retire a Pacers and hopefully we get an additional pick.

We could use our 2 picks to hopefully trade up in the draft or move them for a player we really need.

Unclebuck
12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't think he is physically able to play in th NBA anymore.

No

Kegboy
12-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Jermaine was not a good presence in the locker room. No thank you.

Also, what Peck said. He and Larry just plain don't like each other.

Pacer Fan
12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd really not like to have him at this point. Pacers, now need to keep the cap space for legit trade options that may arise during and up to the trade deadline. If, at the trade deadline Pacers don't have any other options and Boston is willing to give a 1st rounder (which I doubt), then heck yes, but not now.

Midcoasted
12-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Jermaine was washed up when he played for us. This is the guy that admitted he quit on us when we were paying him 20 million a year. It was evident the last year he was hear he was the softest "center" we ever had for that one year. We were the most dunked on team in the NBA for a reason.

Oh yea, and let's bring back a key figure in The Brawl. :puke:

Justin Tyme
12-16-2011, 03:33 PM
I can think of 6 million reasons why I wouldn't do this trade. 6 mil will buy you 2 1sts, and not to have to put up with JO. How short and selective memories can be. For years on 3 different forums, posters complained about JO and wanting to trade him. Now, some want a broken down JO back! Shutter at the thought.

bballpacen
12-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I would take him for the first rounder alone... I think that the Celtics are one injury from being a lotto team, granted late lotto in a strong draft year...

I can think of 6 million reasons why I wouldn't do this trade. 6 mil will buy you 2 1sts, and not to have to put up with JO. How short and selective memories can be. For years on 3 different forums, posters complained about JO and wanting to trade him. Now, some want a broken down JO back! Shutter at the thought.
I believe under the new CBA, you can only spend 3M in cash to purchase draft picks... However, this pick could potentially be well infront of any of those picks that might come up for sale. I do not see the Big, Old 3 being able to last long with this years short, albeit cramed schedule... And if one of their players were to go down for an extended time with an injury....:-p

12-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Why all the J.O. hate?

If you'd give me a first round pick to take J.O. for one season.

RWB
12-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Why all the J.O. hate?

He wasn't crazy like Ron, but wasn't good for the locker room too.

RichardHawes
12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes with open arms...He gets alot of crap and it was all unfairly thrown on him...I would welcome him back without a doubt...

Tom White
12-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Just goes to show you how two people can watch the same thing, and walk away with different views.

I feel like he did indeed milk some of his injuries, and exaggerated others. Seems I even remember one of the Pacers announcers alluding to that on radio interviews.

There was also the yelling match with Carlisle when he didn't like how the offense was being run. Translate that as him not getting his touches.

I also never liked his "tough guy, tough posing, stare down" of the fans after scoring. The fans? Are you kidding me? Who was he trying to impress? Himself?

Then there was all his talk about "dominating". When did he actually dominate? He was good for a few years, but dominate? No.

clownskull
12-16-2011, 07:16 PM
i don't have a bunch of hate or anything for him. i think he did try to be the player the franchise wanted him to be. his downfall really seemed to start when he messed up his knee against detroit. from then on it was a never ending string of resting, coming back too soon and getting hurt and repeating the cycle until the damage was permanent and he was no longer the player he once was.
these days though, he just can't do much at all and you realistically must expect him to miss about half the season or perhaps even more. the only real value in this proposal would be the pick.
j.o. the player simply isn't useful anymore.

Jermaine_TR
03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd love to see him pacer again!

_The_Future_
03-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I say yes. He is a great guy and always expresses his love for not just only Indianapolis but for the entire state. Also, as we all know, he has said numerous times that he would like to finish his career here. Would be nice to have his veteran leadership in the locker room. I think its time to bring JO home.

Doddage
03-05-2012, 01:34 PM
It doesn't really matter to me whether or not JO comes back here. That said, as to the scenario in the OP, if we were offered a 1st to take his contract on, I'd absolutely do it.

mildlysane
03-05-2012, 01:39 PM
No thanks.

_The_Future_
03-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I think JO is humbled enough to not be an issue anymore.

CableKC
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I'd only take him if we can't find any other useful use of our Capspace....at ( of course ) the price of getting a 1st round pick for him.

k_lewis93
03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
To me it's a no-brainer...I say yes. Love the guy and always will. You can say what you want but he was nothing like the other guys aka tinsley/jackson. He loves indy and if you bring him back yes it will cost us some this year but he only has one year left and then you offer him less and try to convince him. He can contribute better then any other C we have by far and he is a veteran. Only problem I can see is if people get word of it and think "oh no they brought back the jailbird and it causes people not to come to games. Some people just don't know how he really is though and is a genuine good guy. Plus we get a pick :) lol