PDA

View Full Version : Troy Murphy: a Laker

IndySDExport
12-15-2011, 02:28 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20111215,0,3146965.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A

Josh McRoberts took part in his first Lakers practice Wednesday, arriving a day after his agent texted him with simple words: "You're a Laker."

McRoberts was described by Gasol as scrappy and a hustler. He's also penciled in to start the season opener Dec. 25 against Chicago because Bynum must serve a five-game suspension and Gasol will slide over to center.

McRoberts is cognizant that Lakers fans want him to fill the void left by Odom, but they're not the same type of player. Odom was an excellent ballhandler who preferred to drive to the basket. McRoberts is more of a screen-setter with a decent mid-range jumper.

McRoberts, 24, averaged 7.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 22.2 minutes for Indiana last season.

The Lakers will look at two veterans to possibly add to their roster.

Power forward Troy Murphy worked out at their facility Wednesday, though the Lakers could only offer him a veteran's-minimum contract of about $1.4 million if they liked him. Murphy, 31, averaged 3.1 points and 3.2 rebounds last season for New Jersey and Boston, a steep drop-off from a 2009-10 season in which the smooth shooter averaged 14.6 points and 10.2 rebounds for Indiana.

Laker fans are already pissed as is for losing Lamar for nothing. If they replace him with McBob and Troy... I think there just might be a riot.
;):D

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 02:29 AM
He is not a lakers yet.

IndySDExport
12-15-2011, 02:30 AM
He is not a lakers yet.

My bad. I meant to say "Troy Murphy: A Laker?"

Day-V
12-15-2011, 02:30 AM
People in Los Angeles? Rioting?

Those aren't the Laker fans I know.

oz_pacer
12-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Lmfao if that happens they might be able to trade kobe for dunleavy too

Psyren
12-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Bahahahaha poor Lakers fans. Sure they have Kobe etc, but going fr Odom to McBob and maybe Murph? Hahahahaha i cant help but laugh at how terrible of a downgrade that is.

Richard_Skull
12-15-2011, 04:34 AM
If they land D12, I could see Murphy as a decent compliment.

ECKrueger
12-15-2011, 04:54 AM
No offense to Troy, but I could not be happier he is gone.

Kemo
12-15-2011, 05:12 AM
I wish Troy success if he get's picked up by the Lakers..

idioteque
12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
I wish Troy success if he get's picked up by the Lakers..

So do I, but lets be realistic here. He is one of those guys I could see as okay in spot minutes on a contender but nothing else.

Anthem
12-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Poor Josh.

Mackey_Rose
12-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm sure Mike Brown will love Troy Murphy.

rexnom
12-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Troy Murphy: Not a Pacer

rexnom
12-15-2011, 09:20 AM
By the way, Troy Murphy for Darren Collison and 7.5 million in cap space. That trade actually happened!

Mackey_Rose
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't think this deserves its own thread, but it does deserve a watch.

A Trip Inside the Mind of Metta World Peace:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZrVRU5G2dg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZrVRU5G2dg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

RWB
12-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Mackey.....thank you, thank you, thank you. WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Tyme
12-15-2011, 09:42 AM
In the description of McBob, it said he had a "decent mid-range shot". It's pretty obvious after watching McBob play for 3 years their definition of a "decent mid-range shot" is totally different than mine.

travmil
12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Good ol' Ron-Ron. Even after all this time I still can't help but love the guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's not a Pacer, but boy is he entertaining.

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Ron Artest :lol:

pacergod2
12-15-2011, 10:39 AM
In the description of McBob, it said he had a "decent mid-range shot". It's pretty obvious after watching McBob play for 3 years their definition of a "decent mid-range shot" is totally different than mine.

I was thinking the same thing. They also said "they're not the same type of player. Odom was an excellent ballhandler..." My first inclination to that was, have you ever watched McRoberts dribble for a 6'10" guy. I would think that Odom and McRoberts are more similar than dissimilar in terms of style of play. McRoberts just has to work on his mid-range jumpshot to become a more effective player. You know, like the mid-range jump shot that Odom hits pretty regularly.

graphic-er
12-15-2011, 10:40 AM
OMG, wouldn't that just be a complete nut shot for McBob is Troy Murphy was brought in and ended up in front of him in the depth chart for his ability to stretch the floor.

Honestly I think the Laker's fans expectation for him to replace Lamar Odom are quite appropriate. They do have pretty much the same skill set. Lamar has a smoother game, but both are quite mobile and athletic with good handles and passing.

I can't wait until Xmas day to see McBob starting for the Lakers.

Major Cold
12-15-2011, 10:41 AM

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZrVRU5G2dg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZrVRU5G2dg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

I disagree. I really think this deserves its own thread. What a fracking nut. Not the religious talk. But the whole illogical reasoning. It has to be either scripted, or he is nuts. Which I think he is.

MnvrChvy
12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
"McRoberts is more of a screen-setter with a decent mid-range jumper."

???

Well at least they'll be surprised. Josh is an excellent ball-handler for that size and certainly prefers driving to the basket than a mid-range jump shot I thought.

naptownmenace
12-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Metta World Peace... :lol:

As far as Troy is concerned, I think the Lakers or Magic would be the perfect team for him. He can come off the bench, hit some 3s and grab some boards on the defensive end of the court. He's essentially their new Vlad Radmonivic.

In all seriousness, if you could combine McBob's all around game with Troy's shooting ability, you'd have a pretty good player. A player almost as good as Odom... on offense and in the passing and rebounding department. They'll miss Odom's defense and toughness though.

Gold
12-15-2011, 10:58 AM
"McRoberts is more of a screen-setter with a decent mid-range jumper."

???

Well at least they'll be surprised. Josh is an excellent ball-handler for that size and certainly prefers driving to the basket than a mid-range jump shot I thought.

McRoberts was never good enough shooting mid-range for it to be noted as far as I can remember....I've seen a decent amount of people complement his shooting around the internet. Either they're going off of his good 3 point percentage or they think he's Hansbrough. lol.

Mackey_Rose
12-15-2011, 11:07 AM
McRoberts was never good enough shooting mid-range for it to be noted as far as I can remember....I've seen a decent amount of people complement his shooting around the internet. Either they're going off of his good 3 point percentage or they think he's Hansbrough. lol.

McRoberts was a much better shooter than Hansbrough last year.

Hansbrough just shot a lot more.

Gold
12-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Could be right.

Justin Tyme
12-15-2011, 11:19 AM
In all honesty, if McBob had a mid-range game he'd probably still be a Pacer. Not to mention he'd be playing for more than the Mini-MLE. I must say Sir Foster never developed a mid-range game, and still made a nice living in the NBA.

I truly hope McBob develops a good mid-range game as well as a back to the basket game. If he does, he can become an upper 2nd tier player with a good NBA career. (1st tier to me is Allstar or near Allstar) Keep in mind, if he did, his contract expires the same time West's does.

Slick Pinkham
12-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Artest, McBob, maybe Troy.

LA just needs to get Jermaine, Ike Diogu, and the always available David Harrison and they can have frontcourt ex-Pacer nights.

Maybe they hire Boomer for halftime.

Naptown_Seth
12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Poor Josh.
Yes but...

Lakers slap JOB in the face again. Not only do they pick up Josh, but it would appear they may have offered him more money than Troy or at the very least they clearly made Josh their FIRST CHOICE.

They could have given Troy an offer and then offered Josh whatever was left since he "clearly" has lower value than Troy.

And here they are starting Josh rather than saying "we've got to get Troy in here to start for us".

I also love the "steep decline" which was based basically on not being coddled by a system built to make his numbers look huge. Get ready to get elbowed out of an uncontested rebound Kobe 'cause numbers is numbers.

McRoberts (for the millionth time) had the HIGHEST ADJUSTED FG% on the team (ie, accounts for 3P shots being worth 3 instead of 2). His 3P% MATCHED DANNY at 38%.

So yes, if only he could learn to shoot the ball instead of just dunking.

It's like people didn't even watch the team last year. The complaint/issue was that in order to get JOB to play him, Josh was asked to develop the long jumper and he did so very well.

If you were frustrated because he worked on his 3 instead of a post offense then okay, although that would still be on the coaching. But to say he couldn't hit a long jumper is just flat-out incorrect.

And given Tyler's FG% which still ended up sub-par for an NBA PF, it's not like he proved he had a CONSISTANT mid-jumper. People just saw him take it a lot, make 35-40% of them and felt like "see, that's his game"...much like the 3P shot was Jackson's game (if 35-40% is the benchmark).

Tyler had A FEW games where he got really hot, but over the long haul he did not maintain that level of shooting, and most PFs supplement their FG% with a couple of dunks or inside shots.

Not even mad at Tyler here, just dumbfounded at the disparate opinions that don't match facts (the NBA stat people counted how many times guys made shots).

Naptown_Seth
12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm sure Mike Brown will love Troy Murphy.
Yeah, if you need defense, offensive boards and an inside grinder look no further. Just bring a mirror so everything is inverted.

The first time he pulls a "doorman" Brown will be done with him for good (if he goes to LA, is this done yet?).

Josh was probably the best screener or pick and roll/pop guy on the team in terms of setting the CLEAN screen (ie, not disengaging early so you can get open...Tyler) and reading when it was available. Some of the best plays last year would be with Josh and Dun where Josh would see Dun's man look back to the ball and call Dun over to the shot screen. Dun's guy would turn to find Josh in his face and Dun hitting the open jumper.

That's awareness and there is literally no stat for that other than +/- (kinda).

My concern is that Brown's offense won't take advantage of this. Brown basically ISO'd everything for Lebron, and now he has Kobe. 30 FGA per game maybe?

tennymf
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Doesn't deserve its own thread? If that's not thread-worthy, then I don't know what is! That was AWESOME.

imawhat
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
He'll be fine in the Lakers offense. He's very active off the ball, so he'll be out there making things happen.

Trophy
12-15-2011, 12:43 PM

LA just needs to get Jermaine, Ike Diogu, and the always available David Harrison and they can have frontcourt ex-Pacer nights.

Mike Brown was on our coaching staff...

Peck
12-15-2011, 02:20 PM

First & foremost I can't believe this is what is considered news reporting from the L.A. Times. My God how the mixture of entertainment & news have so lowered the standards.

Second of all she sounds like a giggly teenage girl, nothing wrong with that if you’re a giggly teenage girl. But when you are supposed to be a reporter for the L.A. times I would think that this is not how you should sound.

FrenchConnection
12-15-2011, 03:04 PM
He'll be fine in the Lakers offense. He's very active off the ball, so he'll be out there making things happen.

Who knows what the Lakers' offense is going to look like. Phil is gone, therefore so is the Triangle. If the past is any indication, in Mike Brown's offense, everyone will just stand around and watch LeKobe.

Sandman21
12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I think I'm going to like the Jim Buss era of Laker ownership......

BRushWithDeath
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I have no idea what Brown will run in LA.

I do know that anyone with any semblance of sense who was coaching those Cleveland teams would give the ball to Lebron and tell all those other jokers to get the hell out of his way. And ride that all the way to the Finals.

Unclebuck
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM

In a game of HORSE in my driveway, I'll take Hansbrough everytime. (no dunking allowed)

Justin Tyme
12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
In a game of HORSE in my driveway, I'll take Hansbrough everytime. (no dunking allowed)

LOL, love it! Best laugh I've had today.

BRushWithDeath
12-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Well that's definitive.

pizza guy
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM

I was going to thank this post, because it's exactly what I was thinking.... Until you said they could hire Boomer. :censored: that, Boomer stays here. :laugh:

avoidingtheclowns
12-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Well that's definitive.

Josh McRoberts? No way he just isn't Unclebuck driveway caliber.

A lot of what Unclebuck judges players on is very subjective and he asks, "does he look like a guy that could play HORSE in my driveway?" He thinks that is a pretty low bar for most players. Eddie Gill didn't pass the test in UB's eyes, John Edwards didn't either and Josh McRoberts doesn't pass in his opinion.

What basketball skill does Josh have? Sure he plays hard, but you need another skill to play HORSE in Unclebuck's driveway.

Shade
12-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey Kobe, how our *** taste?

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM

:spitout::lol2::lmao::lmao:

Naptown_Seth
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Of course you would because in horse there's also NO PASSING and Tyler would dominate that.

:-o:hmm::cool:

31andonly
12-15-2011, 07:00 PM

btw...he's officially listed as Metta World Peace on the Lakers' Roster page (http://www.nba.com/lakers/roster/index.html)...hilarious!

31andonly
12-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Oh and Murphy is mentioned in connection with the Knicks now.

Knicks Will Pursue Redd, Murphy, Mo Evans
Dec 15, 2011 12:25 PM EST

With the Knicks losing out on Shawne Williams, they will turn to a group of veterans that includes Michael Redd, Troy Murphy and Mo Evans.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217563/Knicks_Will_Pursue_Redd_Murphy_Mo_Evans#ixzz1geCos aCJ

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
The Lakers are going to have a very disappointing season and a lot of questions will be surrounding them.

Mike Brown, Kobe's health/age and the team. Will Dwight Howard go there or will be remain with the Magic.

Scot Pollard
12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh and Murphy is mentioned in connection with the Knicks now.

Mike D'Antoni is in heaven right now.

Kemo
12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey Kobe, how our *** taste?

hahaha +1 man , +1 ...

that's great.

Kemo
12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Ron is definitely a few fries short of a happymeal .
I think he has gotten alot worse and really went downhill since he raffled off his championship ring ..
DUMBA** ... And there's an 80+% chance he will not see another..
Then the name change.. nuff said..

They must have him on some good drugs..
.. cause wow... Dude's a space cadet..

TMJ31
12-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Wow. That video.

Just when I thought he was going to Zig, he ZAGS

Basketball Fan
12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I have no idea what Brown will run in LA.

I do know that anyone with any semblance of sense who was coaching those Cleveland teams would give the ball to Lebron and tell all those other jokers to get the hell out of his way. And ride that all the way to the Finals.

Whatever it is it will suck I'm sure since I don't think he's that great of a coach. I mean as an assistant fine but if he couldn't get LeBron's respect he won't get the respect of the guy with more rings than working fingers. Talk about culture clash..

Sandman21
12-17-2011, 04:34 PM
It's official:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Troy Murphy has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Lakers, league source tells Y! Sports.
8 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

BWHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

imawhat
12-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Gross.

Pacer Fan
12-17-2011, 04:45 PM
McRoberts, Murphy are the replacements for Odom... That ain't Right! LOL!

Kobe has got to be :cry:

Scot Pollard
12-17-2011, 04:49 PM
The Lakers are becoming the new Clippers.

IndySDExport
12-17-2011, 04:55 PM
He is not a lakers yet.

He is now.

CreekShow
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
The Lakers are becoming the new Clippers.

The Lakers are becoming the new Pacers. Send Rush over there too

Hicks
12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Tee hee hee. Haaaaave fun with that.

vnzla81
12-17-2011, 05:30 PM
:haha:

I'm sad they didn't sign Dunleavy so they could have got "the Murphleavy curse" :(

idioteque
12-17-2011, 05:46 PM
The Pacers just unleashed their secret weapon on the Lakers.

Infinite MAN_force
12-17-2011, 05:49 PM
So Josh will now be the higher paid player and ahead of Troy on the depth chart, take that JOB.

Peck
12-17-2011, 05:58 PM
So Josh will now be the higher paid player and ahead of Troy on the depth chart, take that JOB.

Irrelevant

Tom White
12-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Listening to Metta-Ron always makes me smile. I think it is difficult to not like the guy when he goes off tangent like that.

Mackey, that clip HAS to get a thread off its own. Just do darn funny for anyone to miss.

imawhat
12-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Spray tan business should be successful in no time.

McKeyFan
12-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think this deserves its own thread>
Disagree. This deserves its own thread. Maybe it's own forum.

Larry Staverman
12-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Wow!

How far have the Lakers fallen that they are now picking up parts out of the Pacers dumpster to field a team?

Sandman21
12-17-2011, 10:55 PM
IamaGM IamaGM.com
Literally 20 people have re-tweeted our Lakers Troy Murphy signing article with "LOL" "LMFAO" "LMAO" "SMH" "SMFH"
1 minute ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply
:lolchair::lol::lmao:

So how many people from here did that?:laugh:

Doddage
12-17-2011, 11:40 PM
This just makes me happy. Hopefully they give him at least 20 minutes a game.

PacersHomer
12-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Pacers rejects *clap, clap, clap clap clap*

Hicks
12-18-2011, 03:52 PM
I couldn't help myself. When I saw a Lakers media person tweeting that Murphy can play the five and can guard 4's and 5's, I swiftly tried to set him straight.

They will learn. Oh yes.