PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Insider blog What should the rotation look like?

billbradley
12-14-2011, 10:10 PM
What should the rotation look like?

The rotation will likely be a subject that’s debated for at least the first few weeks of the season. Depth shouldn’t be an issue for the Pacers, who play 15 of their first 22 games on the road. Coach Frank Vogel will be able to go pretty deep on his bench.

What should the rotation look like?

George Hill (both guard spots), Lance Stephenson (both guard spots), Jeff Foster (power forward/center), Paul George, Dahntay Jones and Brandon Rush (shooting guard/small forward) can all play multiple positions.

Here’s my depth chart with the first names at each position starting.

PG: Hill/Collison/Stephenson

SG: George/Hill/Jones/Rush

SF: Granger/George

PF: West/Hansbrough

C: Hibbert/Foster

PG: Hill is a complete player. There’s a reason why Vogel moved Collison to shooting guard and put Paul George on Derrick Rose in the playoffs. Vogel won’t have to make the switch with Hill starting. I also think Collison, who came off the bench his rookie season in New Orleans, and Hansbrough will be a lethal duo running the pick-and-roll with the second unit.

SG: Paul George is ready to take his game to the next level. He’ll be able to do that as long as he doesn’t defer to his teammates like he did at times last season. He’ll be the primary scoring threat when he slides to small forward when Granger heads to the bench.

SF, PF and C: There’s no question about these three positions.

Bench: Collison, Paul George, Hansbrough and Foster. That should be a fun and energetic lineup for Vogel. At the rate things are going, it’ll be hard for Vogel not to play Stephenson. Stephenson has been one of the most impressive players in training camp so far. What does your rotation look like?

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2011/12/14/what-should-the-pacers-rotation-look-like/

Infinite MAN_force
12-14-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a hard time believing Collison won't start.

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 10:14 PM
PG Collison-Hill (or Stephenson)
SG George-Stephenson (or Hill)
SF Granger-George-DJones (getting a few minutes)
PF West-Hansbrough
C Hibbert-Foster

Seems pretty straight forward that's what Frank will go with on a nightly basis. A good rotation. Can't wait.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I certainly don't believe we got Collison a pick and roll/pop partner just to send him to the bench.

cdash
12-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Hill, to me, screams "6th man." He can play either guard spot, although I think I'd rather see him getting the lion's share of his minutes at SG. I think DC stays the starter, I think PG starts at the 2, and the starting lineup is largely the same except West starts over T.

tadscout
12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a hard time believing Collison won't start.

Seems like Wells is letting his personal opinion get in the way of his reporting.

I see no reason why Collison won't start. The West trade helps him immensely, and today at media day he was listed by most teammates as one of the two most impressive players at camp so far (along with PG).

billbradley
12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
The most informative opinion would have been if Wells saw Pendergraph at the 4 and 5. Yet he neglected to even include him on the depth chart. . .

tadscout
12-14-2011, 10:30 PM
The most informative opinion would have been if Wells saw Pendergraph at the 4 and 5. Yet he neglected to even include him on the depth chart. . .

Well he was a back-up 4/5 in his rookie year with Portland... I imagine he is our 3rd string 4 and 5.

billbradley
12-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Well he was a back-up 4/5 in his rookie year with Portland... I imagine he is our 3rd string 4 and 5.

I know, I just wonder if he will be 3rd string 5 or if we have plans of filling that position when filling out the roster.

mattie
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
George Hill was more efficient at PG than Tony Parker was last season, and though he is not a pure point guard, if he was able to win the starting job, that would only be a good thing. That means we have a real strong PG in Collison coming off the bench, and we have a PG in Hill starting that plays real good defense.

I think Collison will keep the starting job but still don't think it's a bad thing that they're competing for the job. I also don't think it would be the last bit surprising if Hill did win the starting job. Again, he's know the greatest passer, but he's good at everything else. He's also much more sure handed than DC insuring less T/Os...

PR07
12-14-2011, 10:36 PM
I might prefer Hill to Collison late in games, but I'd rather have Collison as the starter coming in.

billbradley
12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
I find it odd Wells still thinks Hill will start after all the praises DC got on media day.

mattie
12-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I might prefer Hill to Collison late in games, but I'd rather have Collison as the starter coming in.

Seconded.. Without knowing what will happen, I imagine that would be the best option. In the closing stretch of the game I'm sure the defense of Hill would be more valuable than Collison's play making ability.

Infinite MAN_force
12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
I find it odd Wells still thinks Hill will start after all the praises DC got on media day.

I don't really think Wells knows what he's talking about, I have believed this for a long time.

tadscout
12-14-2011, 10:43 PM
If defense is the reasoning to start Hill over Collison, I don't see the point... I'd rather have my pg that can run the team offensively the best start (If you start out slow you have to fight an uphill battle)... but just b/c a player starts doesn't mean he has to finish a game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hill/PG backcourt at the end of games.

Also just b/c Hill doesn't start, doesn't mean he won't get starting minutes. With PG also playing SF whenever Danny is on the bench, that opens up plenty of minutes at 1 + 2 for Hill to play.

jeffg-body
12-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I think that I would like to see a line-up like:

PG- Collison/Hill/Stephenson
SG- George/Hill/Rush/Stephenson
SF- Granger/George/?
PF- West/Hansbrough/Pendegraph
C- Hibbert/Foster/Pendegraph

I would like to see Collison get about 24 minutes a night to keep him fresher with the rest of the minutes at PG going to Hill and Setphenson combined depending on match-up and how each player is performing each night. At SG I think George is a match-up nightmare for a lot of teams. I could see him getting about 25 minutes a night at the SG spot with the rest going to Hill and Rush depending on how player is performing. At SF I would like to see Granger get his 30-35 minutes a night and having George taking the rest. At PF I would like to see about a 50/50 split between Hansbrough and West with West starting. I think Pendegraph could get some time there too if out other bigs were in foul trouble. At the C position I see Hibbert eating up the lionshare of those minutes with Foster playing 10-15 minutes a night. I think keeping our starters playing a bit less minutes per game this year due to the condensed season will pay benefits later on down the line if we are competing for playoff seedings and still having our legs to do it with.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 10:46 PM
It would be a damn shame not to let Collison have the chance to be the player he was in New Orleans, for us. Especially after we got him maybe the best pick and roll/pop player in the whole NBA.

Collison may be a bit of a system player, but he showed that in the right system, he can play like an all-star. No we shouldn't build around collison, but if we integrate some new folds into the offense (Roy, and Tyler were both clueless about properly setting the screen, and Jeff, who is good at it isn't a threat to shoot) now that we have a guy with that dimension, it can only help not only Collison, but our diversity and efficiency as a whole.

Plus Collison has supposedly been our standout player during camp, who everyone i've heard from has said looks great. He certainly isn't getting demoted before the season starts. Oh wait, it's wells, explains it.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 10:49 PM
George Hill was more efficient at PG than Tony Parker was last season, and though he is not a pure point guard, if he was able to win the starting job, that would only be a good thing. That means we have a real strong PG in Collison coming off the bench, and we have a PG in Hill starting that plays real good defense.

I think Collison will keep the starting job but still don't think it's a bad thing that they're competing for the job. I also don't think it would be the last bit surprising if Hill did win the starting job. Again, he's know the greatest passer, but he's good at everything else. He's also much more sure handed than DC insuring less T/Os...

Sure competition is great. If Hill suddenly becomes an above average distributor he'd be great, certainly it's Darrens Job to lose.

I hate that he got injured in the playoffs last year, he was playing great, had he not gotten hurt I don't think this would be a question.

BlueNGold
12-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Hill and Stephenson will most definitely be the backups. They fit together perfectly.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I would start Hill over Collison and never look back.

beezer615
12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Sure competition is great. If Hill suddenly becomes an above average distributor he'd be great, certainly it's Darrens Job to lose.

For the love of God, please not another point guard controversy.

xIndyFan
12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
fwiw, i see a nine man rotation.

DC/Hill
Paul/Lance
Danny/Paul
DWest/Tyler
Roy/Jeff

think there is opportunity for Hill or Lance to take the starting PG spot, but DC will have to play his way out of it imo. just a guess, but the hill/lance combo at the 1/2 will get some early play. it is a nice pairing of size and skill sets.

the rest is pretty straight forward it seems. the bigs are still a little thin, but unless/until someone gets hurt, things should be ok.

trs72
12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
I think that I would like to see a line-up like:

PG- Collison/Hill/Stephenson
SG- George/Hill/Rush/Stephenson
SF- Granger/George/?
PF- West/Hansbrough/Pendegraph
C- Hibbert/Foster/Pendegraph

I would like to see Collison get about 24 minutes a night to keep him fresher with the rest of the minutes at PG going to Hill and Setphenson combined depending on match-up and how each player is performing each night. At SG I think George is a match-up nightmare for a lot of teams. I could see him getting about 25 minutes a night at the SG spot with the rest going to Hill and Rush depending on how player is performing. At SF I would like to see Granger get his 30-35 minutes a night and having George taking the rest. At PF I would like to see about a 50/50 split between Hansbrough and West with West starting. I think Pendegraph could get some time there too if out other bigs were in foul trouble. At the C position I see Hibbert eating up the lionshare of those minutes with Foster playing 10-15 minutes a night. I think keeping our starters playing a bit less minutes per game this year due to the condensed season will pay benefits later on down the line if we are competing for playoff seedings and still having our legs to do it with.

thats my thinking on the rotation as well. I see Collison playing around 30 to 33 minutes a game. I'm curious to see how much Lance has improved. Lance could be a a very good player in this league if he stays out of trouble. Talent wise it their with him but his Basketball IQ is where the ? is at along with his character. With his strength and Athletic ability he could be a top player in this league if he puts his mind to it. IMO his ceiling is as high as Paul George's

Pacers4Life
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Those who doubt Inferno will perish in his flames.

I don't ever want to see Brandon again I think DJshould get at LEAST 15 mins a game

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 11:14 PM

I don't ever want to see Brandon again I think DJshould get at LEAST 15 mins a game

We already tried inferno, no thank you.

Pacers4Life
12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
We already tried inferno, no thank you.

And what was the problem? Didn't like his offensive tenacity or was it his suffocating defense and infectious personality that turned... You off

xIndyFan
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM

i understant the over/under on games that brandon will dress this season is 10.

dahntay will not get any play unless someone gets hurt. or plays themselves out of the rotation. cough lance cough

pizza guy
12-14-2011, 11:24 PM
I know I'm alone in this, but I would bring Paul off the bench for now, and have Hill start at SG. I have liked DC since he got here, and I think he has potential to be a very good PG, especially with the addition of Fluffy. So, I'm keeping him in the starting role unless he just takes a huge, inexplicable step backward in his development.

Like Wells said, the 3,4,5 spots are very well defined with Granger, West, and Hibbert as the starters, and Paul, Hans, and Foster as the backups.

I've mentioned my idea to start Hill at 2 and use Paul off the bench at 3 in another thread, but I'm going to go ahead and keep beating this drum. Hill is probably our best defender, although Paul is no slouch. In contrast, DC is not a great defender, so playing your best defender next to your worst(?) defender makes sense to me. DC and Hill both have experience at point, and I think overall ball movement would be better with both of them playing at once. DC is more of a ball-dominant 1 and Hill seems to be more of a facilitator, so I think that would work well together.

I know, everyone sees Paul George as the future of this franchise. If we're ever going to have a superstar, we'll have to draft him, and Paul George could be that guy. He played great defense on DRose and changed that series. He's going to really break out this year and we're going to win every game this season on the strength of his 50 ppg average.

Ok, so maybe the hyperbole got carried away, but you get my point. I love Paul George, and I do think he has the potential to be a real star. But I don't think he's there yet. And I think the best way to get him to develop into what he can be is to let him find his legs on offense with the second string. Hill will be solid in the starting role, or solid in the backup role -- but Paul could be solid as a starter or tremendous as a back-up right now. I think putting him in a position to succeed against other team's 2nd string will allow him to develop easier and gain confidence on offense.

If he will ever be the star we hope for, he won't have any trouble pushing Hill out of the starting spot. But, in Paul's awesome playoff series against Chicago, he averaged 6 points in 26 minutes. That isn't going to cut it as a starting SG. I fully expect him to grow into a much better player than 6 ppg, but I think Hill has proven he is better than that, and PG24 will have to earn that starting spot.

DC/Lance/Price
Hill/Jones/Rush (Paul can back-up at SG as well, cuz Rush/Jones does not excite me)
Granger/Paul
West/Tyler
Hibbert/Foster

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 11:25 PM
And what was the problem? Didn't like his offensive tenacity or was it his suffocating defense and infectious personality that turned... You off

offensive tenacity? you mean ball hoging and never passing the ball? we have better players in front of him.

LoneGranger33
12-14-2011, 11:25 PM
No minutes for Brandon? Talk about a BRush with depth.

90'sNBARocked
12-14-2011, 11:26 PM

Agree 100%

I think people under estamate Jones ability. Go back to the playoffs and you will see he was way more effective than Rush

I just plain dont like the way Rush plays the game

Pacers4Life
12-14-2011, 11:28 PM
In wont make this anymore about Dahntay I'll just out my rotation:

DC/Hill/Lance
George/Hill/Inferno
Granger/George/Inferno
West/Hans/Pender
Hibbert/Foster/hopefully someone else

Brandon Rush is a goat. And I bought his jersey.

90'sNBARocked
12-14-2011, 11:29 PM
I think (Gulp) Lance might finallly live up to the hype

fingers crossed

90'sNBARocked
12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
DC/Lance
George/Hill
Granger/Jones
West/Handsbro
Hibbert/Foster

Infinite MAN_force
12-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I know I'm alone in this, but I would bring Paul off the bench for now, and have Hill start at SG.

I think this is more likely than Collison coming off the bench, if the staff thinks George Hill should start.

However, keeping Paul George as the starter and making Hill 6th man just makes the most sense I think. George Hill just seems like a guy who was born to play that 6th man role, he is perfect for it.

mattie
12-14-2011, 11:33 PM
What evidence do we have that a player will develop better on the bench versus starting? Sort of reminds me of the debate on whether rookie QB's should play or not in their first season...

Hicks
12-14-2011, 11:40 PM
DC, Paul, Danny, David, and Roy start. Lance and Hill are the backup guards, and they switch back and forth on who takes the point. Paul slides to the three when Danny rests. Tyler obviously plays every minute at the four that David doesn't. Sometimes for a few minutes they will play together. Foster cleans up the rest of the center minutes.

If Lance ****s up (on the floor, in the locker room, or off the court), AJ Price will be ready.

pizza guy
12-14-2011, 11:43 PM
What evidence do we have that a player will develop better on the bench versus starting? Sort of reminds me of the debate on whether rookie QB's should play or not in their first season...

Very similar argument, and I think it does vary player to player. What I see in Paul George is a lot of potential, but someone who hasn't quite adjusted to the size, speed, and experience that most NBA starting lineups have. I think for Paul to develop on offense, it would benefit him to come off the bench, where he'd be playing against other bench players.

To me, you start a QB that you draft #1 overall, but you let the #24 pick sit behind a vet who can show him the ropes in practice. In the NBA, it's a little different. But, when we drafted Paul, we all knew he'd need time to polish his game before his potential would be realized. I feel like putting him in as the starter is pushing his timeline a little bit much. He was clearly a better starting option than Rush, but I think Hill allows us the luxury of benching Paul and letting him work on his game a little longer before we force him to be a starter.

EDIT: Someone with a better memory -- how long did Kobe come off the bench? His whole rookie year and at least part of his sophomore year, right? He came out of high school, so it's a little different, but it's similar in that both players were considered very talented, but very raw as rookies.

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 11:49 PM
mine

DC 30 /Hill 10 /Lance 8
Paul George 24/ Hill 18 / Lance 6
Danny 35/ Paul George 10/Lance or Rush in spot minutes
David West 30/ Tyler 21/ Pendagraph
Hibbert 30/ Foster 15 /Pendagraph

It would obviously change based on how everyone is playing but I like this rotation for right now.

RLeWorm
12-14-2011, 11:55 PM
i want Hill at starter pg, but i've been hearing the practices they had DC has stepped up another level. Hill/DC at pg and Lance at SG and they can switch off. thats the beuty of it

Lance George
12-14-2011, 11:59 PM
The biggest question for me is how we find a way to get both David West and Tyler Hansbrough sufficient playing time. Does one, or both, spend some time at center? If so, it'll be the first time for either man, as both have been used exclusively at power forward in their careers.

tadscout
12-15-2011, 12:17 AM
The biggest question for me is how we find a way to get both David West and Tyler Hansbrough sufficient playing time. Does one, or both, spend some time at center? If so, it'll be the first time for either man, as both have been used exclusively at power forward in their careers.

Vogel said at media day that Hans and West will be on the floor together at times (also mentioned they are to good to not be playing 25-30 min a game each, so the only way to do that is to play then together). I assume Hans will play center b/c his body can handle the bigger player easier. West is known to be great at helping his teammates get into the right positions on both ends, so that will help Hans when they play together.

Sookie
12-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Collison (30)/Price (18)
George (20)/Hill (28)
Granger (30/George (10)/ one of Lance, Rush, or Dahntay (8)
Hansbrough (24)/West (24)
Hibbert (30..hopefully)/Foster 18 (hopefully)

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Collison (30)/Price (18)
George (20)/Hill (28)
Granger (30/George (10)/ one of Lance, Rush, or Dahntay (8)
Hansbrough (24)/West (24)
Hibbert (30..hopefully)/Foster 18 (hopefully)

Of course you have Price as the second point guard :laugh: he'll be lucky if he plays at all.

RLeWorm
12-15-2011, 01:10 AM
DC/Lance
PG/Hill
Granger/PG
West/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Foster
Man just looking at what we got makes me so happy. Lance and Hill could be like Felton and Lawson for the Nuggets last year. They can switch off on who handles the point. Lance probably can run it better.

Sookie
12-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Of course you have Price as the second point guard :laugh: he'll be lucky if he plays at all.

Price beat out Stephenson for backup point guard last season, on one leg. (and yes, it was for basketball related reasons as well as non basketball related reasons.) Lance is going to have to prove something before he takes that spot.

If that's not the rotation by the beginning of the season (assuming no trades/signings) it'll be the rotation by the end. And more than likely, if Price isn't the backup point guard, Hill will be.

PG-24
12-15-2011, 01:43 AM

he listed the 12 that will be active. its not a full depth chart of the team. pendergraph wont be a part of the rotation

PG-24
12-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Price beat out Stephenson for backup point guard last season, on one leg. (and yes, it was for basketball related reasons as well as non basketball related reasons.) Lance is going to have to prove something before he takes that spot.

If that's not the rotation by the beginning of the season (assuming no trades/signings) it'll be the rotation by the end. And more than likely, if Price isn't the backup point guard, Hill will be.

price beat a trigger happy developing 2nd round rookie... that holds some weight for this year

Jrod Jones
12-15-2011, 01:54 AM
I think a lot of people are underestimating what this condensed schedule is going to do. Having Hill and Stephenson off the bench still offers them plenty of playing time. Having a good bench is going to be more important this year then ever.

pacer4ever
12-15-2011, 01:59 AM

the sub 40% shooting price? No Lance didn't play because he had a court case and they weren't gonna play him until they knew what the outcome was gonna be.

I think Price will play at times this year but saying he deserves it over Lance is :bs:

Lance is outplaying him in camp just about everyone is saying that how is that not proving it? You were the one who was *****ing that Ford and DC were given the job last year now last is earing time what is your excuse? I dont like Price's game never have even at UCONN. But with that said I would rather Lance play the 2 or 3 more than he plays pg. I think Hill and Lance will be interchangeable on the court and they will play a lot of minutes together. Weather you consider that Lance playing pg or Hill playing pg i dont really care I just see Lance getting more burn the Price Lance has more talent and he is playing his tail off just about everyone said that today. They even said he dove onto the scorers bench to save a ball I think he finally gets that if you don't play with the team than you wont play. Last year was pretty beneficial for him IMO he saw how easily it can all be taken away.

Lance has stuff you cant teach compared to AJ regardless what you think about him he will get burn this year and hopefully he sticks to what he has been saying and his goal is to facilitate easy baskets for his teammates and not play 1v1 ball but run the offense if he is ask to play pg.

tadscout
12-15-2011, 01:59 AM
he listed the 12 that will be active. its not a full depth chart of the team. pendergraph wont be a part of the rotation

He will be active... you can't go into a game with only 4 big men.

pezasied182
12-15-2011, 02:06 AM
AJ Price is like the forgotten Pacer, no one ever talks about him on here. I almost forgot he was on the team.

He got a lot of minutes last year, but that was because there wasn't a backup pg. This year with Hill and Stephenson staying out of trouble, I think he is fourth in the depth chart at that position. There's only 12 active players a game and I doubt Price will be one of those 12 consistently.

pezasied182
12-15-2011, 02:09 AM
He will be active... you can't go into a game with only 4 big men.

He only listed 11 players,

1. Hill
2. Collison
3. Lance,
4. PG
5. Dahntay
6. Rush
7. Granger
8. West
9. Hans
10. Roy
11. Foster

Pendergraph will be the 12th IMO.

Psyren
12-15-2011, 02:37 AM
I think Price is the one that sits.

PG rotation: DC, Hill, Lance

SG rotation: George, Lance, Hill, Rush, Dahntay

SF rotation: Danny, George, Dahntay, Rush

PF: West, Hansbrough, Pendergraph, Foster (Only if needed)

C: Hibbert, Foster, Pendergraph

There's just no room for Price in that 12 man rotation. We need Pendergraph to be in it because we're thin at C.

CableKC
12-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Between West and Hansbrough....whose going to be playing some spot minutes at the Backup Center and Backup SF spot?

I'd rather have Hansbrough split his time as the primary Backup PF and some minutes at the backup Center spot then have West do that...unless we go total smallBall with an athletic but smaller Center.

xBulletproof
12-15-2011, 02:49 AM
I really think we need one more big in a serious way. West is coming off a knee problem, Foster is a walking health problem, Tyler had his year long bout with dizziness that seems unexplained. We're a couple bad breaks away from being the Portland Trailblazers, Eastern edition in the front court.

The best front court guy still out there is Landry, but he doesn't fit with West around. He'll most likely go back to New Orleans and probably put up 20 PPG with that group on a 1 year contract, and see what he can get next year. I think I would.

Reggie Evans is the only big I think can effect a game in most any way at all that's still a FA. I would sign him if at all possible.

I think it's going to be Collison/Lance/Hill at PG mostly depending on the matchup, with Paul George and Hill at SG. Then Granger and Dahntay at SF. The other 2 positions are pretty obvious at this point.

CableKC
12-15-2011, 02:57 AM
DC, Paul, Danny, David, and Roy start. Lance and Hill are the backup guards, and they switch back and forth on who takes the point. Paul slides to the three when Danny rests. Tyler obviously plays every minute at the four that David doesn't. Sometimes for a few minutes they will play together. Foster cleans up the rest of the center minutes.

If Lance ****s up (on the floor, in the locker room, or off the court), AJ Price will be ready.
I don't mind that we have West now...but one of the reasons why I advocated going after a PF/C like Nene is because of my concern about playing West and ( possibly ) Hansbrough out of position since BOTH of them are best suited to play at the PF spot.

So, let's break this down by the #s.

How would you break down the minutes in the Frontcourt ( on average )?

I see West averaging about 31 mpg ( between 30 to 32 mpg ) and Hansbrough averaging between 25 mpg ( between 24 to 26 mpg ).

Is West and Hansbrough going to play some backup SF or backup Center minutes if they share the court at the same time?

If so, who plays where?

CableKC
12-15-2011, 03:02 AM
I really think we need one more big in a serious way. West is coming off a knee problem, Foster is a walking health problem, Tyler had his year long bout with dizziness that seems unexplained. We're a couple bad breaks away from being the Portland Trailblazers, Eastern edition in the front court.

The best front court guy still out there is Landry, but he doesn't fit with West around. He'll most likely go back to New Orleans and probably put up 20 PPG with that group on a 1 year contract, and see what he can get next year. I think I would.

Reggie Evans is the only big I think can effect a game in most any way at all that's still a FA. I would sign him if at all possible.

I think it's going to be Collison/Lance/Hill at PG mostly depending on the matchup, with Paul George and Hill at SG. Then Granger and Dahntay at SF. The other 2 positions are pretty obvious at this point.
I totally agree here. I don't like relying on Foster to be our backup Center and ( at least for now ) don't want to rely on Pendegraph ( no offense Jeff ) to really contribute yet since he's been out of action for a year.

Reggie Evans is a total "smashmouth" dirty player that does nothing more then rebound the ball and get under the skin of other Frontcourt Players. Having Reggie Evans and Foster man the backup Center minutes :cloud9:, we'd be inhaling offensive rebounds with reckless abandon like NBA Players in the 70s were inhaling cocaine ( I'm in the process of reading the Big Book of Basketball and learned this ;) ). We'd be the best rebounding Team in the League...bar none.

xBulletproof
12-15-2011, 03:03 AM
I don't think it'll matter much early in the season. I really think they're going to go easy on West's knee the first month or two. I see them splitting the PF minutes right down the middle for a while.

After that, who knows? It'll probably depend solely on matchups. Some teams you can get away with having Tyler on a C because they're so inept at scoring anyway. You just have to make sure you've got Paul George in there, and put an emphasis on everyone hitting the boards when a shot goes up.

CableKC
12-15-2011, 03:07 AM
I don't think it'll matter much early in the season. I really think they're going to go easy on West's knee the first month or two. I see them splitting the PF minutes right down the middle for a while.

After that, who knows? It'll probably depend solely on matchups. Some teams you can get away with having Tyler on a C because they're so inept at scoring anyway.
Splitting the PF minutes down the middle is easy....24 mpg at the PF spot for both.

West clearly needs to play between about 6 to 8 more minutes...where will that be?

As you were suggesting...I'd rather have Reggie Evans and Foster split the minutes at the backup Center spot....while trying to minimize the # of minutes that Hansbrough plays as the backup Center and even West playing a minimal amount of minutes at the backup SF spot.

pezasied182
12-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Splitting the PF minutes down the middle is easy....24 mpg at the PF spot for both.

West clearly needs to play between about 6 to 8 more minutes...where will that be?

As you were suggesting...I'd rather have Reggie Evans and Foster split the minutes at the backup Center spot....while trying to minimize the # of minutes that Hansbrough plays as the backup Center and even West playing a minimal amount of minutes at the backup SF spot.

Reggie Evans would be nice as rebounding is definitely one area the team is lacking in. A line up of

Hill
Stephenson
George
Hans
Evans

Would be fun to watch, a lot of slashing and a lot of missed shots though and Evans would help with that.

Speed
12-15-2011, 06:07 AM
DC has been said to have improved, but I want to see what his defense looks like. To me, that will be the reason GHill replaces him. Wells basically says as much.

QuickRelease
12-15-2011, 07:52 AM
For the love of God, please not another point guard controversy.
I find it rather comforting that the debate is over two good players, rather than the lesser of two evils. :dance: Things are lookin up in ol Indy!

Mackey_Rose
12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I think that starting group would be better with Hill starting. If they had a full training camp and full preseason, I think he would. I also think the bench would be better with Collison in the mix.

As it is, I think Collison will start out as the starter. My hope is Hill overtakes him sooner, rather than later.

pacergod2
12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I think Collison is the prototype for who you want coming off the bench in big minutes. Let him run other teams into the ground. Hill will set up the offense for you. That is what I want with Hibbert on the floor and late in games. I think Collison starts, but Hill closes out games.

My rotation to start the year:

PG- Collison, Hill, Lance (PG/SG)
SG- George, Rush
SF- Granger, DJones
PF- West, Hansborough, Humphries (PF/C)
C - Hibbert, Foster

Inactives: Price (Lance could easily go here)

I think we will see Rush get a lot more minutes than you guys realize. I know Bird likes to let his coaches coach, but we will probably see him get minutes early in the year to relieve PG and maybe bump up his trade value a bit. I actually think Brandon will have a good year with us, assuming he gets minutes.

West and Hansborough can split PF minutes and sneak over to center for good matchups against second unit front lines. I'd love to know that I could rely on Humphries for minutes if I am the coach.

Hibbert, buddy, you need to be our cornerstone.

Granger needs to get everybody more involved on both ends of the floor.

Sookie
12-15-2011, 07:06 PM
the sub 40% shooting price? No Lance didn't play because he had a court case and they weren't gonna play him until they knew what the outcome was gonna be.

I think Price will play at times this year but saying he deserves it over Lance is :bs:

Lance is outplaying him in camp just about everyone is saying that how is that not proving it? You were the one who was *****ing that Ford and DC were given the job last year now last is earing time what is your excuse? I dont like Price's game never have even at UCONN. But with that said I would rather Lance play the 2 or 3 more than he plays pg. I think Hill and Lance will be interchangeable on the court and they will play a lot of minutes together. Weather you consider that Lance playing pg or Hill playing pg i dont really care I just see Lance getting more burn the Price Lance has more talent and he is playing his tail off just about everyone said that today. They even said he dove onto the scorers bench to save a ball I think he finally gets that if you don't play with the team than you wont play. Last year was pretty beneficial for him IMO he saw how easily it can all be taken away.

Lance has stuff you cant teach compared to AJ regardless what you think about him he will get burn this year and hopefully he sticks to what he has been saying and his goal is to facilitate easy baskets for his teammates and not play 1v1 ball but run the offense if he is ask to play pg.

If Lance is out playing him in camp than that does prove it. But no one has said that, they've just said Lance has been playing great.

I have no problem with Lance playing ahead of Price if he proves it. But the question is "what is your rotation" and I haven't seen them this season. And I don't go by what Larry says, because Larry thinks Lance is the best player on the team.

Quite frankly, I do trust Vogel. It's not the same thing as JOB where players are going to play just because (or because they were the absolute worst option to play...that could have been JOB's strategy..) I think Frank will play who should be played. So I'm not going to put up a stink about that. (And hope he goes to a different team.)

All I care about is a fair shot, if Price comes out at the bottom, Price comes out at the bottom. My problem the past two seasons was he wasn't at the bottom.

This was "what's your rotation" based on last season and what I've heard about Hill, that was my rotation. If Lance is better now, than so be it..but we haven't seen him. And don't forget he was built up to high heaven last season too.