PDA

View Full Version : CP3 a Clipper Eric Gordon going to NOLA

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 08:03 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
ESPN sources: Clippers and NBA-owned Hornets have agreed to Chris Paul deal in principle. Gordon, Kaman, Aminu and Minnesota pick to Hornets

great trade for NOLA bad trade for the Clipps IMO giving up both EJ and the pick is too much imo

PacerPenguins
12-14-2011, 08:04 PM
who is EJ?

Steagles
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
ERIC IS GONNA BE A PACER!!

Steagles
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
who is EJ?

EJ is Eric Gordon, or Eric Jr. - EJ.

rousea24
12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
EJ = Eric Gordon

Cactus Jax
12-14-2011, 08:07 PM
who is EJ?

Eric Gordon

Well, this gives a chance for the Pacers to sign Gordon next year, if they leave enough cap space, cause I doubt he wants to stay in NO. Might be able to flip Granger for Gordon right now, maybe add a pick or something, but either way the odds have just increased by quite a bit.

PacerPenguins
12-14-2011, 08:07 PM
of bird save money so sign hib and hill to an extention then spend the rest on Gordon next summer... man would that be a team

DC
Hill
Gordon
George
Danny
West
HAns
Hibbert
Lance :)

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 08:08 PM
According to Marc Stein on ESPN a minute ago he said is a done deal and would be approve at 12 tonight, I wonder if EJ is also getting an extension.

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Great deal for the Hornets.

Basketball Fan
12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
I hope this is the end of this debacle but somehow I doubt it.

How bad do you have to be as a franchise(Hornets) to think the Clippers is a better destination.

Diamond Dave
12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Not sure what this board's obsession in trading Danny Granger is. There are several other players I'd line up long before trading Danny. I would love to have EJ play alongside Danny. If PG doesn't explode like some to think he will this year then I'd part with him first. OTOH if PG does explode then that sort of negates the need for Gordon.

pizza guy
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I believe this makes the Pacers the odds-on favorite to sign EJ next year. This is great.

Also great because all this stupid "CP3 to the _______" talk has been driving me insane. I think the Clippers gave up too much for him, but, CP3+Blake+Jordan makes the Staples Center home to a pretty darn good team, and the Lakers.

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Clippers are really stupid they have Moe,Bledsoe,Billups and now CP3 on the roster sounds like a kahn move. They gave way to much up great trade NOLA.

bet EJ is glad he didnt buy a house in LA yet.

cdash
12-14-2011, 08:15 PM
The calls for Gordon to return home as a Pacer are going to reach a fever pitch around here now. Bracing myself now.

Lance George
It compares pretty favorably to February's Deron Williams trade:

Jazz <=> Hornets
Derrick Favors <=> Eric Gordon
Devin Harris <=> Chris Kaman
2011 Nets 1st <=> 2012 Wolves 1st
2012 Warriors 1st <=> Al-Farouq Aminu

PacersHomer
New Orleans practically gets an entire starting lineup for Chris Paul. Great trade for them. The Lakers deal getting shot down by the lovable dictator Stern worked out for the Hornets in the end.

Clippers have 4 point guards and no shooting guards pretty much.

vnzla81
Clippers are really stupid they have Moe,Bledsoe,Billups and now CP3 on the roster sounds like a kahn move. They gave way to much up great trade NOLA.

Moe is getting amnesty now for sure.

Shade
12-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Wait, weren't the Clips just negotiating an extension for EJ? Maybe he said "no."

Either way, the Clippers gave up too much for Paul.

cdash
12-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Does Chauncey start at the two for LAC now?

Basketball Fan
12-14-2011, 08:18 PM
So is Dan Gilbert okay with this deal?

Mark Cuban?

I mean we don't want stars in big markets(I don't think all stars should team up together and dilute the talent pool either but this whole things kills whatever credibility the NBA had left)

Its sad when I think Tim Donaghy may have been one of the more honorable people representing the NBA powers...

Scot Pollard
Maybe the Clippers will become LA's new team and not the Lakers.

It's a good deal for the Clippers just because they're getting Chris Paul to play with Blake Griffin, but I think the Hornets are in a very good position for the future and will still be a good team. The Clippers gave up A LOT, but that's what you get when you want to get a star.

Very fair deal and if this is going to happen (stars leaving for big markets), deals like these should be made. The Hornets are still going to compete and probably be better than before looking ahead, as it currently appears.

pacer4ever
Does Chauncey start at the two for LAC now?

Thats why this trade is so bad Randy Foye is the Clippers only 2 and he isnt even a 2 :laugh:

Really?
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM

I think Moe will get amnested, and Billups only has a couple years, and that is if he decides to play for the Clips, Bledsoe will be backup, and if they would like they can trade Bledsoe for a 2.

The 3some of Paul, Griffin, and Jordan is good enough that if you put a 2 and 3 around them that can hit 3's they should be very dominate.

I mean the trade was practically, EJ and the 1st for CP3, Aminu is cool, but Caron was going to start at 3, Kaman was a guy they were interested in getting out of the way anyways, they just paid Jordan bucks and want him to play and develop.

NO probably got the worst of the trade, Gordon is as good as gone in 2 seasons.

Ace E.Anderson
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
I believe this makes the Pacers the odds-on favorite to sign EJ next year. This is great.

Also great because all this stupid "CP3 to the _______" talk has been driving me insane. I think the Clippers gave up too much for him, but, CP3+Blake+Jordan makes the Staples Center home to a pretty darn good team, and the Lakers.

Why does EVERYONE assume Gordon wants to play here? I understand this is where he is from, but that doesn't really matter. Hardly ever does a player go back home and plays during his professional career.#wishfulthinking

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:20 PM
The calls for Gordon to return home as a Pacer are going to reach a fever pitch around here now. Bracing myself now.

:signit:

Really?
12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
lol you guys act like they can not pick up a 2 guard, I don't get it, it is not like they will need their 2 to be the primary scorer, they just gave up 3 guys and got back 1, they have 2 open spots, there are decent options they can get at the 2.

Hicks
12-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Not really.

1) He'll be restricted
2) They'd likely match anything
3) Herb Simon apparently doesn't want us bidding on anyone who is restricted out of respect to the other owner involved
4) If Paul breaks out this year, who cares anyway

daschysta
12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Stern was right to hold out by getting this. This trade does right by NO, on the court and for the future.

beezer615
12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Eric Gordon 2012 campaign officially starts today

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Great deal for NO, they get Aminu and Gordon two good players that could possibly be stars, a good draft pick and an expiring, better deal than this impossible.

Aw Heck
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm just happy it's finally done. I'm tired of hearing about it.

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Jamal Crawford may go to the Clippers now they have 0 good SG's on the roster

wintermute
12-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow, fantastic for NOH.

Ok, I was wrong about Stern's veto. Worked out great.

Who wants Stern to manage the Pacers? Maybe he can gets us Eric Gordon for Granger :p

Shade
12-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Looks like Kahn's coveted 5PG lineup is now a reality.

MaHa3000
12-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Not really.

1) He'll be restricted
3) Herb Simon apparently doesn't want us bidding on anyone who is restricted out of respect to the other owner involved

At the end of this season I expect most Pacer fans will not be looking to add anymore players. There will be more concern about keeping the stars that we have.

Shade
Eric Gordon 2012 campaign officially starts today

You're late. I've been campaigning for four years now.

vnzla81
Jamal Crawford may go to the Clippers now they have 0 good SG's on the roster

Didn't they signed Butler? I think he is there for sure.

CP3,Butler,x player, Blake,Jordan? No bad.

Hicks
Thats why this trade is so bad Randy Foye is the Clippers only 2 and he isnt even a 2 :laugh:

Maybe they could use Brandon Rush. :eyebrow:

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
chadfordinsider Chad Ford
Sad the CP3 drama is over? Don't worry, the Eric Gordon won't sign an contract extension in NO drama is coming up next.

I really think he ends up with the Pacers if the Pacers want him he wanted to play here before but want gonna leave LA to do it. I trust the person who told be that wouldnt be surprised if he is in BnG come next year.

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Who thanks that Larry wants EJ? What makes you think Larry will wait for him this summer to go after him? Or go after him soon? I, personally have never heard the Pacers FO speak of him in a way that makes me thank Larry would even be interested...Please let me know why some of you suggest this interest.

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Maybe they could use Brandon Rush. :eyebrow:

The Clippers have been known to trade picks for players straight up.

PacersHomer
12-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Not really.

1) He'll be restricted

Of course for #3, the Hornets have no owners!

Gordon won't come here and anyone who thinks he will is living in a dream world.

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Butler is a 3 he has never been a 2 and never will be a 2 especially after that injury.

Really?
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Butler will play the 3

Aw Heck
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
I really think he ends up with the Pacers if the Pacers want him he wanted to play here before but want gonna leave LA to do it.
See Hicks' reasons why not above. The best we can hope for is that he signs for a 1-year qualifying offer and we pick him up in 2013 offseason.

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:33 PM
The Clippers might actually make the playoffs for the 4th time.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 08:33 PM
You're late. I've been campaigning for four years now.

Don't forget the 4 years Jarryd Bayless campaign either :evil:

Pacergeek
12-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Ej just Tweeted "wow". He isn't cool with this

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
It's really the media that puts these "lower class" teams down.

The Hornets got a hell of a deal. They may very well become a better team than with Chris Paul in the future. If EJ stays and is not a Pacer. ;)

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Ej just Tweeted "wow". He isn't cool with this

He is gonna be pissed he was told my Clipper management that they weren't trading him and basically labeled him untouchable. He Deandre and Blake were suppose to be the guys they built around along with whoever they got in the draft this year.

from a Clipper board

Why Clippers? Olshey was so certain we weren't going to give up Gordon. what the hell changed? Im guessing Gordon's pissed? as I would be.

I need clarification. IS IT OFFICIAL OR JUST 'SOURCES' SAY?

Gordon and the team along with some STH's were visiting schools and reading to them today. He was on the bus when the trade went down and some of the STH's said that he was looking really sad. I truly believe he wanted to be here and be a part of turning this franchise around. I'm pissed and know he's pissed.

hell of a way to find out your traded

Shade
12-14-2011, 08:39 PM
The Clippers have been known to trade picks for players straight up.

I would happily take their #2 for Brandon.

Cactus Jax
12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
If you decided that you wanted Granger and Gordon to play together, you could always try and move George in some package for Gordon as well, and honestly I think that would make the team much better in the near future; George could totally break out and make everyone regret it but it's about a 50/50 chance you'd be taking, and it's not like Gordon is an old guy either.

cordobes
12-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Very good deal for the Hornets. This isn't even in the same planet of the Rockets/Lakers offer Dell Demps accepted.

Good for the Clippers too. They won't be able to contend this season though. Not with Gordon gone. Paul+Griffin is a fantastic core going forward though. This season, if they keep Billups to round the wing rotation and Butler is in form, they can still make some noise in the playoffs.

imawhat

Don't forget Willie Warren, lol

cordobes
I expect Eric Gordon to sign an extension with the Hornets. Way too risky for him to play on his QO.

Shade
Don't forget the 4 years Jarryd Bayless campaign either :evil:

I bow to the awesomeness that is Brandon Rush. :-p

Basketball Fan
12-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Stern was right to hold out by getting this. This trade does right by NO, on the court and for the future.

If he really wanted to do right by NO he should've just told them that CP3 was untradeable and there's no point in having a GM or a coach if he was going to overrule their decisions to begin with.

Instead of blocking the trade and damaging the credibility of the NBA like he did.

Shade
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM
If you decided that you wanted Granger and Gordon to play together, you could always try and move George in some package for Gordon as well, and honestly I think that would make the team much better in the near future; George could totally break out and make everyone regret it but it's about a 50/50 chance you'd be taking, and it's not like Gordon is an old guy either.

There aren't too many players I would deal George for, but Gordon is one of them.

Really?
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I expect Eric Gordon to sign an extension with the Hornets. Way too risky for him to play on his QO.

How?

Steagles
12-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I think the Pacers should send some picks and some players for EJ citing our interest in offering him a huge contract next summer. Maybe they'll think about EJ not wanting to stay and ship him here.

Lets say we send our 2012 1st, 2013 2nd, Rush and Lance if they insist.

DC/Hill/AJ
EJ/PG/Hill/Jones
Danny/PG/Jones
West/Tyler/Jeff P/Danny
Roy/Jeff F/Jeff P

Scot Pollard

Yeah.......I don't know about that.

spreedom
EJ is really injury-prone... I'd imagine that despite his feelings about playing in New Orleans, he will jump at the chance to sign a max or near-max extension.

pizza guy
12-14-2011, 08:47 PM
The Hornets aren't going to match a max offer if they still have no owner. The league wants to keep payroll low to sell the team. The Pacers will have the money, it just depends on what happens with Paul George, and specifically if the coaching staff thinks he should be a SG or SF.

Also, from the things p4e says, Gordon would be interested in coming home to play for the Pacers. I think it's entirely possible that he ends up here, and HIGHLY unlikely he stays in NOLA.

RichardHawes
12-14-2011, 08:47 PM
So who plays Center for the Clips now? Diogu? :laugh:

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Stay strong EJ, you'll (hopefully) be rewarded the ability to play where you'd like and it's writing on the wall.

I really hope Bird keeps him in mind. I'm sure he'd love to have him, but he's not going to announce it.

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Uh? DeAndre Jordan.

The guy they threw money at.

Steagles
12-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Uh? DeAndre Jordan.

The guy they threw money at.

CP3, Blake, DAJ, the big 3 in LA on the Clippers side.

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 08:51 PM
As it appears come next year, EJ will either be in New Orleans, Indiana, or Seattle.

PacersHomer
12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
As it appears come next year, EJ will either be in New Orleans, Indiana, or Seattle.

Other teams other than the Pacers and Hornets could offer him a max deal as well.

vnzla81
So Rush+DJ for Bledsoe? Maybe? :signit:

Really?
EJ is really injury-prone... I'd imagine that despite his feelings about playing in New Orleans, he will jump at the chance to sign a max or near-max extension.

I think he will get a big contract no matter what, unless his production just drops off dramatically. I doubt he would lose that much from only signing the qualifying offer.

I will say it again, I doubt he gets max money, unless a team is really desperate for a SG, so far he is not worth a Max contract.

Pacer Fan
How long before Hornets would be able to trade EJ?

Kstat
12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Very interesting that Bledsoe is most likely the starting SG in this lineup....

DrFife
12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Lets say we send our 2012 1st, 2013 2nd, Rush and Lance if they insist.

Make it Collison, Rush, 2012 #1 and 2014 #1.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Very interesting that Bledsoe is most likely the starting SG in this lineup....

He did well in college as a two not sure about the NBA, I've seen worst players at the two though.

Really?
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Some of you guys are off the wall, Bledsoe does not have a SG bone in his body, Foye would start if the lineup were to stay as it is, but remember they have 2 spots to fill, and can still sign players if they like, maybe nobody getting decent money but there are options out there for 2 guards.

Why is everyone acting like the Clippers are stuck with 10 million PG's there is a such thing in the NBA as trades.

lol

Really?
12-14-2011, 08:58 PM
He did well in college as a two not sure about the NBA, I've seen worst players at the two though.

That was not him as a 2, he was occupying that position but he played as a extended 1, doing the same stuff Wall was doing, pushing the ball and getting to the hole.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 09:00 PM
That was not him as a 2, he was occupying that position but he played as a extended 1, doing the same stuff Wall was doing, pushing the ball and getting to the hole.

So him playing together with Wall didnt make him a two?

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Some of you guys are off the wall, Bledsoe does not have a SG bone in his body

...he played SG at Kentucky....

Scot Pollard
Other teams other than the Pacers and Hornets could offer him a max deal as well.

Of course.

I'm sure we'll make a strong push to get him. He'd be an exception by Herb Simon to battle for a RFA.

We're going to be a very good team this season with bigger crowds, but getting him would almost guarantee us to be a top team in the East and the fact that EJ is a big guy here alone would trigger more STHs and the fact that we'd be a winning, competing team would force even more of that interest in Indy.

We could be seeing crowds of nearly 18,000 a game like in glory days when about every game was a sellout.

Pacersalltheway10
Oh no. Here comes the people who are saying "oh no here comes the bunches of people wanting to get Eric Gordon"

I don't see hardly anybody openly advocating that we get EJ

billbradley
12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
mharpring15 matt harpring

dont be surprised to see billups, cp3, butler, griffin, and jordan as starting 5. yes, thats a playoff team if they stay healthy

/

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh no. Here comes the people who are saying "oh no here comes the bunches of people wanting to get Eric Gordon"

I don't see hardly anybody openly advocating that we get EJ

Bird's not going to flat out say we want to get Eric Gordon.

He's still under contract and no one actually was looking to deal him.

Hopefully we can outbid the Hornets who need money from an actual owner.

travmil
12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
So what happens in a year when Gordon is refusing to sign a contract extension in NO? Will Der Fuhrer veto three trades then too?

Pacersalltheway10
12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
If Eric Gordon would want out of NO. Couldn't he just accept the qualifying offer and become and unrestricted free agent the next season after that. So when West expires, EJ could be unrestricted. But that's only if he wants to go all Rodney Stuckey on the Hornets.

Really?
12-14-2011, 09:06 PM
So him playing together with Wall didnt make him a two?

NO, that year Kentucky started 2 PG's and they both played point, Calipari got the most out of both guys, he knew that Bledsoe was to talented to have coming off the bench. He found a way to make it so both of them could start and the team still be efficient.

Bledsoe was an extended 1, atleast that is how I view it.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:07 PM
The Hornets will have an owner by then, and he will likely throw the max allowable salary at Gordon.

Pacerized
12-14-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm on board with the majority on this one. The Clips simply gave up too much.
It does sound like they need a 2 guard though. What do they have left that we could send send them Rush for? Too bad they traded Kaman, that would have been nice.

Heisenberg
12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Eric Gordon extension to be vetoed for basketball reasons. Herb Simon email to Stern leaked.

When Bird leaves I want Stern to take over. That's a HAUL.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
NO, that year Kentucky started 2 PG's and they both played point,

:laugh:

....no. It is impossible to have two point guards on the floor. You can start two, but one has to run the point. Magic Johnson his rookie year played a lot of shooting guard because Norm Nixon was starting too.

Bledsoe did essentially back Wall up at the point, but that was when Wall sat down. For the majority of the time, Bledsoe played off the ball.

Steagles
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
If Eric Gordon would want out of NO. Couldn't he just accept the qualifying offer and become and unrestricted free agent the next season after that. So when West expires, EJ could be unrestricted. But that's only if he wants to go all Rodney Stuckey on the Hornets.

But if the Hornets are smart they'll deal him for more cheaper pieces to build around. EJ is ready to enter his prime now. NOLA should know that, and flip him for even more.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:12 PM
...no, if they're smart, they will build the team around HIM.

What circular logic dictates trading your young star, when your goal is to build around young stars?

The Hornets will max him out next year.

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 09:13 PM
How soon could Hornets trade EJ?

Heisenberg
12-14-2011, 09:14 PM
By himself, I think immediately

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Tomorrow. It will not happen.

Steagles
12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
...no, if they're smart, they will build the team around HIM.

What circular logic dictates trading your young star, when your goal is to build around young stars?

The Hornets will max him out next year.

When you don't have the talent to do well, you go for more talent - IE Chris Paul.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:16 PM
When you don't have the talent to do well, you go for more talent - IE Chris Paul.

They dealt Chris Paul because they had to, not because they wanted to.

If the Hornets had any kind of an owner, Paul is not on the market, West is not a Pacer, and they likely bring in someone else via trade to play with CP3.

They got a great haul, but really all they did was hit the reset button.

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 09:16 PM
By himself, I think immediately

O'My!

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:18 PM
O'My!

...you realize he's never going to wear a Pacer jersey except when he dresses up as Reggie on Halloween, right?

Steagles
12-14-2011, 09:19 PM
They dealt Chris Paul because they had to, not because they wanted to.

If the Hornets had any kind of an owner, Paul is not on the market, West is not a Pacer, and they likely bring in someone else via trade to play with CP3.

They got a great haul, but really all they did was hit the reset button.

They don't have an owner. They don't have a great team. It's decent at best. They could have a better team by acquiring more young talent and picks in next year's stacked draft.

NapTonius Monk
12-14-2011, 09:19 PM
DeAndre Jordan

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:20 PM
They don't have an owner. They don't have a great team. It's decent at best. They could have a better team by acquiring more young talent and picks in next year's stacked draft.

They will likely have an owner before next season.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 09:20 PM
...you realize he's never going to wear a Pacer jersey except when he dresses up as Reggie on Halloween, right?

Maybe in six year when his contract expires.

Winner
12-14-2011, 09:22 PM
GREAT for New Orleans, bad for the Clippers. I think the Clippers just gave up a future all star in Eric Gordon.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 09:23 PM

If he ever makes it to UFA I don't see why we don't have a good chance at him, in fact we may even have something of an Inside track. Also if he demanded/ requested for a trade i'm certain we would be a destination he wuold approve, plus we have the young assets a rebuilding team would want, unlike alot of teams looking to add him. If his situation sucks in New Orleans, and they are disappointing EJ could take the qualifying offer instead of becoming extended and he'd be and FA by summer after next.

Incredibly unlikely it happens anytime soon, but it isn't out of the question that someday the prodigal son returns to the heartland.

Pacer Fan

Are you Simon or Larry? Who are you to know such things? just wondering. :)

Kstat
GREAT for New Orleans, bad for the Clippers. I think the Clippers just gave up a future all star in Eric Gordon.

...and they got a current superstar in CP3, who's only 3 years older than Eric Gordon.

Dealing a future all-star shooting guard for a future hall of fame point guard is a no-brainer.

Steagles
12-14-2011, 09:24 PM
They will likely have an owner before next season.

If EJ wishes, he won't sign that almighty extension. He can walk if he isn't happy on NOLA. And in this situation, who would be? HE is in control, not the owner (or in this case der Führer). Stern is lucky to get EJ and the pick, I don't think he'll veto that much talent (even if it means no extension).

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:27 PM
If EJ wishes, he won't sign that almighty extension. He can walk if he isn't happy on NOLA. And in this situation, who would be? HE is in control, not the owner (or in this case der Führer). Stern is lucky to get EJ and the pick, I don't think he'll veto that much talent (even if it means no extension).

...yeah....no.

Name me the last really good player since 1999 (when they put the rookie system in) that chose to wait out his rookie deal and leave as a UFA.

Go ahead. I'm giving you twelves draft classes worth of rookies. Find me one.

Rookie contracts are set up they way they are for a reason. Players take on so much risk financially, verses trying to leave town, that leaving becomes an impossible decision until the end of their second contracts.

God forbid Gordon makes an all-star team or two, it put him in line for an even bigger raise under the Derrick Rose rule.

If Eric Gordon leaves NOLA, it will be in 5-6 years when his second contract expires. Not before.

daschysta
12-14-2011, 09:28 PM
...and they got a current superstar in CP3, who's only 3 years older than Eric Gordon.

Dealing a future all-star shooting guard for a future hall of fame point guard is a no-brainer.

I don't think anyone disputes that, it's just all the other stuff too. Yeah, clipps needed to make this deal, but they had leverage the NBA didn't, what other team had an offer even as close to as sweet as the one the clipps even initially offered?

Ace E.Anderson
12-14-2011, 09:29 PM

Why does EVERYONE assume Gordon wants to play here? I understand this is where he is from, but that doesn't really matter. Hardly ever does a player go back home and plays during his professional career.#wishfulthinking

Pig Nash
12-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Name me the last really good player to get traded to a team with no owner.

Past situations don't really apply here. Though I think it's unlikely it'll happen, there is a chance.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't think anyone disputes that, it's just all the other stuff too. Yeah, clipps needed to make this deal, but they had leverage the NBA didn't, what other team had an offer even as close to as sweet as the one the clipps even initially offered?

The Clips did get to keep Bledsoe, so there was some compromise there. They obviously feel he can be a star at either guard spot.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM
...yeah....no.

Name me the last really good player since 1999 (when they put the rookie system in) that chose to wait out his rookie deal and leave as a UFA.

Go ahead. I'm giving you twelves draft classes worth of rookies. Find me one.

Rookie contracts are set up they way they are for a reason. Players take on so much risk financially, verses trying to leave town, that leaving becomes an impossible decision until the end of their second contracts.

God forbid Gordon makes an all-star team or two, it put him in line for an even bigger raise under the Derrick Rose rule.

If Eric Gordon leaves NOLA, it will be in 5-6 years when his second contract expires. Not before.

Wasn't B Gordon one guy that did that?

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Name me the last really good player to get traded to a team with no owner.

Past situations don't really apply here. Though I think it's unlikely it'll happen, there is a chance.

You assume there's a chance because you want there to be a chance. The Hornets will have an owner long before Gordon's deal runs out.

It's not going to happen. I'm trying to nip this in the bid before we have 50 new Eric Gordon threads and this forum becomes overrun with IU fanboys.

Steagles
12-14-2011, 09:33 PM
...yeah....no.

Go ahead. I'm giving you twelves draft classes worth of rookies. FInd me one.

When was the last future all star shipped from a great team to a sucky team on his rookie deal and wanting to sign long term to the point that he won't play until he's locked? Please enlighten me, because I don't understand your logic. This is because he was dealt, not because he doesnt want to stay on the drafting team. I think he would sign an extension in LA in a heartbeat, but not NOLA.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Wasn't B Gordon one guy that did that?

The Bulls never really offered him a contract.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:35 PM
When was the last future all star shipped from a great team to a sucky team on his rookie deal and wanting to sign long term to the point that he won't play until he's locked? Please enlighten me, because I don't understand your logic. This is because he was dealt, not because he doesnt want to stay on the drafting team. I think he would sign an extension in LA in a heartbeat, but not NOLA.

With the money he'd be giving up and the risk he'd be taking on, he'd be happy signing with the Soux Falls Thunder.

This isn't a guy that's made superstar money yet. If he waits out his deal, and he gets hurt, he never sees that cash. It's a big part of the reason why young players do not ever roll the dice on their second contract, no matter where they are.

travmil
12-14-2011, 09:35 PM
NOLA would have broken the bank for CP3 if he WANTED it. What on earth makes anyone think Gordon will want it?

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:38 PM
NOLA would have broken the bank for CP3 if he WANTED it. What on earth makes anyone think Gordon will want it?

...because CP3 has already banked $43 million and Eric Gordon has banked 8.

Paul makes twice as much this season as Gordon's career earnings.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 09:39 PM

How about the fact that he doesn't have a choice?

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
How about the fact that he doesn't have a choice?

...because people are under the delusion that he's going to turn down a massive guaranteed pay raise, and roll the dice so he can wind up in Indiana two years down the road, and make a lot less money doing it.

and Gordon gets a no-trade clause the last year.

travmil
12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Recent history says that the players of today care about WHERE they are playing as much as how much they are being paid to play. If the Hornets can make it attractive for Gordon to stay, he probably will. If they can't he's going to try to bust his way out to somewhere else. Where that might be is anyone's guess, but don't act like location is unimportant to these players when every blockbuster FA deal or trade of the past two seasons tells us otherwise.

PR07
12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Have to feel a little bad for Eric Gordon. Goes from playing with Blake Griffin to not much in NOLA.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Recent history says that the players of today care about WHERE they are playing as much as how much they are being paid to play.

...ok, so name me what players on their rookie contracts TODAY have turned down max pay raises?

Kstat
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Have to feel a little bad for Eric Gordon. Goes from playing with Blake Griffin to not much in NOLA.

Next year he could be playing with Anthony Davis or Harrison Barnes.

Actually, he could wind up playing with BOTH of them.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Recent history says that the players of today care about WHERE they are playing as much as how much they are being paid to play. If the Hornets can make it attractive for Gordon to stay, he probably will. If they can't he's going to try to bust his way out to somewhere else. Where that might be is anyone's guess, but don't act like location is unimportant to these players when every blockbuster FA deal or trade of the past two seasons tells us otherwise.

If the NBA still owns the Hornets, he'll be playing there without question. Guaranteed. You think Stern, who had the nerve to veto a done deal to LAL would be opposed to telling Gordon to suck it up and play by matching any contract he gets in free agency?

I don't.

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Ill make a bold prediction I think EJ contends for the scoring title this year in NOLA I expect 25ppg maybe more.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
The Bulls never really offered him a contract.

This article says they did, making him the 1st and only guy to do it, the offer was 6/54.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-bulls-confidential/2009/07/did-the-bulls-fail-to-capitalize-on-ben-gordon/

travmil
12-14-2011, 10:01 PM
First, let's clear something up, I've never once said that Gordon was coming home to Indy. With that said, only he knows how he feels about what went down and the situation he finds himself in. History tells us that players care about the city they are playing in. History also tells us that players will take max extensions if offered. The thing is, nobody knows what will happen. Acting like it's a foregone conclusion that he will sign a max extension with NOLA is just as wrong as acting like there's no way he will. I'm only pointing out that he has options. Apparently that means I'm a homer who says he's coming to the Pacers. Translate however you wish.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Gordon will be a RESTRICTED free agent. He doesn't have to sign with New Orleans. They just have to match it, and he's there.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
This article says they did, making him the 1st and only guy to do it, the offer was 6/54.

He left because Detroit offered him more money. That wasn't what I asked.

I asked what rookie contract player turned down a max extension to go elsewhere.

Kstat
12-14-2011, 10:06 PM
the Hornets could turn this thing around overnight.

It''s very possible the two worst teams in the NBA this season are the Timberwolves and the Hornets.

This guarantees NOLA two of the top 5 picks in one of the deepest drafts since the turn of the century.

The Hornets could become a younger version of what the Clippers are now, very soon.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 10:06 PM

I asked what rookie contract player turned down a max extension to go elsewhere.

got it.

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 10:10 PM
It''s very possible the two worst teams in the NBA this season are the Timberwolves and the Hornets.

And the Bobcats and Raptors.

Lance George
12-14-2011, 10:12 PM

:confused:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7fyG2TcUNUg/TiVuGtyggsI/AAAAAAAAGNQ/uDbKNivUPGU/s1600/goalposts.jpg

PacerGuy
12-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Just for ***** & Giggles...

The one thing NO did NOT get was a young PF. They also got a star SG who is likely to be unhappy. IN wants named SG badly & has a young PF + a ball-park comparable scoredr who is on a friendly deal & is a local kid. NO (NBA) wants youth & picks, so...

Would you:
Granger/ Hans/Lance/1st
for EJ/ Okafor

WHY?
IN: Has a 3 big man rotation of Hib/West/Ok (then sign a young athletic PF like E.Clark as a FA), P.George moves to what is his NBA fit at SG, & EJ is your SG. A solid mix of vet/youth, scoring & defense.

NO: Moves a newly aquired yet disgruntled SG who could bolt in a yr. for a local kid & a scorer on a friendly deal, gets a popular young PF w/ upside to add to the new youthful core, adds a dimond in the ruff SG/PG, & yet another 1st rd. pick to add even more talent, while clearing some more cao space.

Am I close?
Too much?

Gamble1
12-14-2011, 10:14 PM

Hmmm I don't know if there's any players who have turned down a max extension but I thought a number of players have taken a 3 year max extension. The magic number for the new cba is 8 years in the league and that's when you can get the majority of the cap. I think its 30 percent.

GP33
12-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I wonder if even though EJ is going to be a RFA we will still bid on him ?

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Call me blind, but several players each year are moved due to not wanting to stay where they are at. Not sure why this wouldn't apply for EJ. Obviously, Hornets can get alot of value out of him and more draft picks to the Hornets would be a good thing for a new owner. Also, EJ could be packaged with Okafor to rid his contract with Kaman there now.

granger33
12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Ill make a bold prediction I think EJ contends for the scoring title this year in NOLA I expect 25ppg maybe more.

WOW?? Some people ride Gordon too much. The team he is in right now, he should be able to put up a lot of shots (not like he usually doesnt anyway) But to contend for scoring title. Nah-uh.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 10:25 PM
WOW?? Some people ride Gordon too much. The team he is in right now, he should be able to put up a lot of shots (not like he usually doesnt anyway) But to contend for scoring title. Nah-uh.

It's not that big of a jump. He averaged 22.3 last year, and the NBA leader was 27.7. He's no longer sharing the ball with Blake Griffin, and who else is going to score on the Hornets?

It could very well happen.

granger33
12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
It's not that big of a jump. He averaged 22.3 last year, and the NBA leader was 27.7. He's no longer sharing the ball with Blake Griffin, and who else is going to score on the Hornets?

It could very well happen.

If he outscores KD, or none the less wins the scoring title. Ill gladly purchase something for you lol.

owl
12-14-2011, 10:35 PM
If George progresses even modestly I fail to see the advantage of trading 2-3 players for a small upgrade at the shooting guard. I think too many posters's IU skirts are showing.
I am not ready to give up so quickly on what the Pacers have. Give them 2-3 years and
see what they can do.

Lance George
12-14-2011, 10:36 PM

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9716/stackw.png

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 10:38 PM
If he outscores KD, or none the less wins the scoring title. Ill gladly purchase something for you lol.

do you not understand what the word contend means?

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 10:47 PM
How bout this trade:
Hans, Rush, 2012 1st, 2013 2nd for EJ.
Pacers sign Carl Landry now.

pezasied182
12-14-2011, 10:49 PM
How bout this trade:
Hans, Rush, 2012 1st, 2013 2nd for EJ.
Pacers sign Carl Landry now.

If that could land you Gordon, you do it, but I doubt NO wants that

tadscout
12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
N.O. won't trade EJ... He is their young building block, and having such a player makes the team more attractive to sale.

NewEra
12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
I guarantee stern is telling any potential hornets buyers that he will rig the draft lottery and give the hornets pick with their newly acquired minnesota pick

diamonddave00
12-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Or Eric could just accept the qualifying offer next season then leave as a unresticted free agent in 2013-14 which if he really wants to be a Pacer would mean he's a free agent when David West's 2 year deal expires.

xBulletproof
12-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I never realized how off Chris Sheridan is. He is just going off about how the Clippers won't make the playoffs.

If the Hornets with Chris Paul made the playoffs, I have no idea why the Clippers won't.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 11:28 PM
I never realized how off Chris Sheridan is. He is just going off about how the Clippers won't make the playoffs.

If the Hornets with Chris Paul made the playoffs, I have no idea why the Clippers won't.

Yeah he is going crazy :laugh:

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 11:32 PM
aww they are having Drew Brees pick him up at the airport.

tadscout
12-14-2011, 11:35 PM

He also has no clue how the business side of basketball works... He somehow thinks possible owners would rather have a borderline playoff team with older players that will have to rebuild in 2-4 years. Most new owners would want to rebuild and put their own touch on their team, if the team they buy aren't contenders.

pacer4ever
12-14-2011, 11:36 PM

I really do think the Clipper got worse long term but they are better in the short term IMO if they can get Jamal Crawford or someone to play SG lol/

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 11:39 PM
I really do think the Clipper got worse long term but they are better in the short term IMO if they can get Jamal Crawford or someone to play SG lol/

Long term like what? 10 years from now?

IndyJones
12-14-2011, 11:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bWuy2.jpg

Really?
12-14-2011, 11:45 PM
:laugh:

....no. It is impossible to have two point guards on the floor. You can start two, but one has to run the point. Magic Johnson his rookie year played a lot of shooting guard because Norm Nixon was starting too.

Bledsoe did essentially back Wall up at the point, but that was when Wall sat down. For the majority of the time, Bledsoe played off the ball.

His role was still that of a PG, his job was that of a PG, even though his position was listed as a 2 that is what he was and that is how he played.

There is a difference between a PG playing shooting guard ad a PG at the shooting guard position but playing as a extra pg on the court, that is what I am saying, Calipari made it work in his system.

Nevermind we will never agree on this point, but there is no way that Bledsoe plays the 2 in the NBA, especially not with CP3 next to him.

A.B.Hollywood
12-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Its simple really. There are only 2 ways EJ comes here:

1) trade.
2) he takes a 1 year qualifying offer and then after taking that huge risk signs with us for far less money, for less years

Now knowing this, how likely is one of these to happen? Answer that and then proceed. The rest of this is moot.

TheDon
12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
so i'm guessing the January 25th deadline that's being kicked around is the date that he has to accept the qualifying offer so that he can become an unrestricted free agent in 2013? Is that correct?

xBulletproof
12-15-2011, 12:01 AM
so i'm guessing the January 25th deadline that's being kicked around is the date that he has to accept the qualifying offer so that he can become an unrestricted free agent in 2013? Is that correct?

No, January 25th is how long he can sign an extension. You only take the qualifying offer in the offseason as a free agent.

edc
12-15-2011, 12:08 AM
David stern should be nominated for executive of the year 2011-2012 :D

TheDon
12-15-2011, 12:15 AM
No, January 25th is how long he can sign an extension. You only take the qualifying offer in the offseason as a free agent.

Ok so lets say he doesn't sign by that deadline, then what? he becomes an unrestricted free agent? or a restricted free agent?

xBulletproof
12-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Ok so lets say he doesn't sign by that deadline, then what? he becomes an unrestricted free agent? or a restricted free agent?

Restricted.

TheDon
12-15-2011, 12:26 AM
thank you bulletproof I'm actually learning stuff lol, so what exactly is the pie in the sky scenario that everyone is hoping for that would give us the shot at getting Gordon. Trying to understand just how far out that scenario is.

croz24
12-15-2011, 12:29 AM
That's an awful lot to give up for Paul, especially if the pick ends up as a top 3 pick.

Kstat
12-15-2011, 12:31 AM
That's an awful lot to give up for Paul, especially if the pick ends up as a top 3 pick.

It's fair value for a 26 year old future hall of fame PG. I'm just shocked they got it.

Kstat
12-15-2011, 12:35 AM
thank you bulletproof I'm actually learning stuff lol, so what exactly is the pie in the sky scenario that everyone is hoping for that would give us the shot at getting Gordon. Trying to understand just how far out that scenario is.

He'd have to turn down a max pay raise in 2012 to make $4 million (instead of $10+million) in 2012, which no player has ever done, to take a shorter contract for less money in 2013.... From the Indiana Pacers.

Heisenberg
12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Gordon + 2 likely top 5 picks, that's a helluva core. Too bad New Orleans probably won't be able to enjoy it.

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Gordon + 2 likely top 5 picks, that's a helluva core. Too bad New Orleans probably won't be able to enjoy it.

Don't forget Aminu he is nice.

pacer4ever
12-15-2011, 12:57 AM

JJ
Eric Gordon
Ariza
Perry Jones
Anthony Davis

with Okafor and Aminu off the bench =:drool:

and they will likely trade Kaman for for a mid 1st round pick. Maybe draft a pg like Kabongo.

and if the Amnesty Okafor next year they would have some cap room as well

very bright future. They have a very good head coach Monty Williams is a good coach and a good defensive coach.

Eric Gordon sounded really sad at the airport in an interview. It sucks the Clippers lied to him but thats part of the business.

xBulletproof
12-15-2011, 12:59 AM

No problem. The qualifying offer is a 1 year deal extended to free agents that the team retains bird rights for, and it's based off of your last season's pay. Coming off of a rookie contract that's a pretty low number (like Kstat said, 4 million). So he'd have to give up around 8 million for next season alone, plus the risk of not getting the other 60 or so million he would have had in the extension if he was to get hurt next year in a way that effects the rest of his career.

The ONLY way Gordon ends up in a Pacer uniform is if he absolutely, positively makes it clear he wants nothing to do with playing in New Orleans and they think he would be a major distraction. Oh, and we'd have to be where he wants to go. Even then it would be a sign and trade.

So yeah, it's pretty damn far fetched. :laugh: Especially if they get 2 top 5 picks next year. Imagine pairing Andre Drummond and Perry Jones with Eric. Or Drummond and Anthony Davis. Or Davis and Jones ....

At that point you'd be looking at maybe Drummond at C, Perry Jones at PF, Aminu at SF, and Gordon at SG .... whatever combination you can come up with sounds pretty enticing.

Lance George
12-15-2011, 01:42 AM
johnhollinger John Hollinger
dude's a huge McRoberts fan. RT @ESPNChrisPalmer For the first time in nearly 10 years Kobe Bryant is the second best player in LA.

tadscout
12-15-2011, 01:45 AM
RicBucher (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=RicBucher) For those asking: LAL deal made NOH better right now but added ton of $$. This deal makes NOH better long-term at potentially lower price.

So true...

pezasied182
12-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Or Eric could just accept the qualifying offer next season then leave as a unresticted free agent in 2013-14 which if he really wants to be a Pacer would mean he's a free agent when David West's 2 year deal expires.

There's no way Gordon signs the $5 mil QO. He would get a lot more than that as a RFA. Teams (not necessarily Pacers) would bid high on him but NO would just match. He's in for a good payday, especially if he stays healthy this year.

oz_pacer
12-15-2011, 02:29 AM
can some rich pacer fan just buy the hornets and ship ej to us for brandon rush please! It would save us a lot of arguing :-)

CableKC
12-15-2011, 03:35 AM
I don't mind offering EJ a MAX contract offer next season....not like any other Team wouldn't :shrug:....the only hope that you can have is that some clone of Sterling buys the Hornets and is too cheap to match a MAX Contract offer. But as xbulletproof said....if the NBA still owns the Team....there's no way that Stern's going to let him go for nothing.

I keep on telling you guys, you should just make it easy on yourselves....save yourself some grief and heartache and just wait until the 2016-2017 season when he's a UFA.

rexnom
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
So...umm...GM-Stern looks like a small genius now.

graphic-er
12-15-2011, 10:54 AM
There is a dynamic of unpredictability here, if keeping the pay roll really low for a new owner to come in is important. And if all 29 owners have to essentially approve matching Gordon in RFA. I could really see an opportunity for the Pacers to snag him.

I'm not getting my hopes up though.

vnzla81
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM
JJ,Gordon,Ariza,Okafor and Kaman? not a bad team to start the rebuilding process, better than rebuilding with TJ,Dunleavy,Danny,Murphy,Roy for sure.

tadscout
12-15-2011, 11:21 AM
There is a dynamic of unpredictability here, if keeping the pay roll really low for a new owner to come in is important. And if all 29 owners have to essentially approve matching Gordon in RFA. I could really see an opportunity for the Pacers to snag him.

The other 29 teams don't have a say in the extension... Stern says the Hornets management has complete say.

FrenchConnection
12-15-2011, 11:28 AM
JJ,Gordon,Ariza,Okafor and Kaman? not a bad team to start the rebuilding process, better than rebuilding with TJ,Dunleavy,Danny,Murphy,Roy for sure.

Not to mention that if they amnesty Okafor and let Kaman walk this summer, they would have somewhere on the order of 40mil in cap space. The Pacers had low talent and no cap space. The Hornets will have one talented young player and boatloads of financial flexibility by the time they get a new owner. So yeah, their future doesn't look all that bad.

Reggie4Three
12-15-2011, 01:54 PM
What has Eric Gordon ever won? I hope he stays with the Hornets or goes elsewhere.

tennymf
12-15-2011, 02:07 PM
What has Eric Gordon ever won? I hope he stays with the Hornets or goes elsewhere.

Oh my goodness...

http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/obvious-troll.jpg

Gamble1
12-15-2011, 03:04 PM

I think next year its highly unlikely but I also think Gordon doesn't sign a 5 year max extension next as well. I could be wrong but I see him going for a 4 year deal with the 4th year being a player option. I highly doubt that he wants to stay there long term given that the team is in limbo right now.

Hicks
12-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Oh my goodness...

http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/obvious-troll.jpg

Really?

pacer4ever
12-15-2011, 03:43 PM

What did Danny ever win while the team was rebuilding??

Your argument is flawed

Infinite MAN_force
12-15-2011, 04:27 PM

In terms of contracts, sure. But I'd take Roy over any of those guys outside Gordon and despite everyone's hoosier man crush, I think Danny and Eric are roughly equivalent players.

Those draft picks might make up the difference though, especially Minny's. That team might just be mediocre enough to lose out on a really high pick, however, the Minny pick is the key difference.

tennymf
12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Really?

Just playin'. :D