PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Concern

Pacergeek
12-14-2011, 02:21 PM
From reading some of our players' Tweets, it looks like everybody is having a great time at training camp. Lots of laughing and joking around. My concern is that the Pacers might be too "loose" heading into the season. Playing in the NBA is serious, and there is nothing funny about trying to win a championship. I doubt Michael Jordan was laughing it up in training camp when he was winning 6 rings. I hope Vogel can get the ship corrected, and get everyones' head straight by December 26th.

Trader Joe
12-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow

Kemo
12-14-2011, 02:25 PM
"Thank you sir, may I have another??"
LOL

PR07
12-14-2011, 02:25 PM
If anything, this is a good thing. Shows some of the new guys are geling. If NBA players always acted serious like it was a boot camp, I doubt many would actually enjoy their profession.

graphic-er
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
:picard:

Speed
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
If not having fun = championship... the Obrien lead Pacers would be going for their 4th straight ring this year.

MnvrChvy
12-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Nah. Vogel just cracked the whip and said, "You guys will all leave here today and write your parents and fans and tell them that we are all having fun! If you disobey, you go in the box!"

Then he punched West in the stones just to make an example.

He's got the contract this year. He doesn't need to be Mr. Niceguy anymore.

BillS
12-14-2011, 02:33 PM
If you've got guys who have fun playing together and a coach who is focused on winning and putting everyone on that same train, you have a recipe for a team that fans will love and will enjoy watching and that can be very successful.

Winning is more fun than losing, so if they can keep that perspective they'll be fine.

Hicks
12-14-2011, 02:36 PM
From reading some of our players' Tweets, it looks like everybody is having a great time at training camp. Lots of laughing and joking around. My concern is that the Pacers might be too "loose" heading into the season. Playing in the NBA is serious, and there is nothing funny about trying to win a championship. I doubt Michael Jordan was laughing it up in training camp when he was winning 6 rings. I hope Vogel can get the ship corrected, and get everyones' head straight by December 26th.

Have you watched video/documentaries on any of the past NBA champions? It doesn't even have to be the champs, just of any good team? There's almost always a lot of camaraderie and joking going on, off and on, during the course of the season.

They know when it's time to get serious, to get down to business. I'm not concerned about that at all with this group. They're winners. The fact that they're acting this way can only be a good sign for their chemistry and cohesiveness.

I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

Trader Joe
12-14-2011, 02:37 PM
BREAKING: Pacers in crisis, team too happy, stay tuned for more at 11PM

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
My only training camp concern is that yesterday was David West's 1st practice in 8th month, let's hope he is ready to start the season.

edit: I just found an article in Indystar

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111214/SPORTS04/111214008/Pacers-forward-David-West-likely-won-t-play-against-Bulls-Friday?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Indiana Pacers fans will likely have to wait until next week to see newly acquired power forward David West make his debut.

Pacers coach Frank Vogel said today that West likely won’t play against the Chicago Bulls at Conseco Fieldhouse on Friday.

“It’s only because the game will just be days after he signed with our team,” Vogel said. “He’s still learning the system and he’s got to improve his conditioning because he was holding himself back some since he was a free agent.”

West, who signed a two-year deal, practiced for the first time Tuesday night.
Tyler Hansbrough will continue to start at power forward for the time being.

MnvrChvy
12-14-2011, 02:44 PM
My only training camp concern is that yesterday was David West's 1st practice in 8th month, let's hope he is ready to start the season.

edit: I just found an article in Indystar

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111214/SPORTS04/111214008/Pacers-forward-David-West-likely-won-t-play-against-Bulls-Friday?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

The way Bird talked during the his media intro session, it sounded like he thought it would be 8 or so weeks before he would be in good enough shape to take on the starters share of minutes. Frankly I think that's good that they aren't intending on pushing him too much to begin with.

vnzla81
12-14-2011, 02:46 PM
The way Bird talked during the his media intro session, it sounded like he thought it would be 8 or so weeks before he would be in good enough shape to take on the starters share of minutes. Frankly I think that's good that they aren't intending on pushing him too much to begin with.

Damn 8 weeks is to long, that's two months and with this short season? let's hope is before that.

bambam
12-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Anyoneone wanna jump on this bandwagon?

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/general-computing/28688d1232873602-what-your-os-windows-mac-linux-pic09918.jpg

Hicks
12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

8 weeks?! Where did you get that number from? That takes us to mid-February. I can't believe it will be that long.

I'm expecting he and Tyler to go about 24/24 as things start and go from there.

Pacergeek
12-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Have you watched video/documentaries on any of the past NBA champions? It doesn't even have to be the champs, just of any good team? There's almost always a lot of camaraderie and joking going on, off and on, during the course of the season.

They know when it's time to get serious, to get down to business. I'm not concerned about that at all with this group. They're winners. The fact that they're acting this way can only be a good sign for their chemistry and cohesiveness.

I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

I really hope you are correct. I'm not suggesting the players shouldn't have any fun, but winning is serious buisness. It is very presumptuous to assume the Pacers know when to get focused and "turn it on". Probably the only player taking things seriously is Tyler, and he needs to lead by example

Gamble1
12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
8 weeks?! Where did you get that number from? That takes us to mid-February. I can't believe it will be that long.

I'm expecting he and Tyler to go about 24/24 as things start and go from there.
I thought he said a couple of weeks. Just watch the video and thats what Bird said. He said it would take him a couple of weeks to get back into basketball shape.

Check your PM because I think Hicks just warned you to stop making stuff up...

BillS
12-14-2011, 03:10 PM
I really hope you are correct. I'm not suggesting the players shouldn't have any fun, but winning is serious buisness. It is very presumptuous to assume the Pacers know when to get focused and "turn it on". Probably the only player taking things seriously is Tyler, and he needs to lead by example

I think you are making a mistake by treating "serious" to mean "solemn". You don't have to be Like Mike (stonefaced and kind of a jerk) to be serious about the game.

It is often said that in order to sustain a high level of workouts you HAVE to be enjoying yourself at some level.

Hicks
12-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Where is the video?

Gamble1
12-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Where is the video?
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/david_west_press_conference_2011_12_13.html

At the 2:50 mark is when they talk about it. 3:30 is when he says a few weeks which I take as a couple.

bphil
12-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Playing in the NBA is serious, and there is nothing funny about trying to win a championship.

And you know this because you've spent how much time playing in the NBA?

Scot Pollard
12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I've been waiting to use this GIF for the reason why it was added and I think it fits here and the person who started this thread.

:blackknight:

90'sNBARocked
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM
If not having fun = championship... the Obrien lead Pacers would be going for their 4th straight ring this year.

Get'em Speed :)

90'sNBARocked
12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
no dis but

kind of ironic that someone named "PacerGeek" would complain about not being serious enough

90'sNBARocked
12-14-2011, 04:20 PM
http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/indiana_pacers

@DaveFurstDave Furst

Hang time: #Pacers @Hoya2aPacer and @king24george at media day. #GettingAGoodVibeFromThisTeam @indianapacers http://pic.twitter.com/QB2TKV9W

MnvrChvy
12-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I thought he said a couple of weeks. Just watch the video and thats what Bird said. He said it would take him a couple of weeks to get back into basketball shape.

Check your PM because I think Hicks just warned you to stop making stuff up...

:D

It was some number of weeks. I knew I shouldn't have posted that when I was at work and couldn't go watch the video to be exact.

It doesn't really matter. I wasn't meaning to say that Bird said West wouldn't play until then. Bird was talking about how long it would take him to get back into his top-notch shape, which I think 8 weeks is about right actually. You don't get in NBA shape in only two weeks after 8 months off. Until he is back to that point, I think you will see a LOT more of Tyler than you will be seeing at the end of March/April... not that that's a bad thing.

edit: So he said "a few" weeks which Gamble1 takes as two and I would normally take as around 5-ish. I don't know where I got the 8 from. :shrug:

Kemo
12-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Wait a minute.. Let me get this straight and see if I'm following you here....

So

Yet this ---->

isn't being presumptuous?

lol wow..:hmm::hmm:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/killertruc/potmeetkettle.jpg

3 8 thee great t h
12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
How many rings did the serious pat Ewing win how bOut the cool collective walt Frazier....

Pat 0
Walt More than 0 lol

Hmm seems fun wins this round

Brohan Cruyff
12-14-2011, 04:44 PM
BREAKING: Pacers in crisis, team too happy, stay tuned for more at 11PM

CLUB IN CRISIS, VOGEL OUT

gummy
12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Why do we so often equate the ability to enjoy the game and your teammates with not being focused enough? I don't understand that at all. This binary thinking where you must be either a serious, all-business bad *** contender or a fun and games, goof off loser does not exist in the real world.

So if we come out and totally bomb in the first couple of weeks of the season, maybe I'll consider some hindsight re-evaluation of this. Until then this is a total non-issue to me, except to say I'm glad to hear that it sounds like there is some chemistry among these guys.

imawhat
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm glad this is the type of concern we're focused on. It's kind of like seeing crappy stories on the news. It means things are going well.

graphic-er
12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I will say this about the OP's post. In regards to Michael Jordon, I think I've read somewhere that most of his teammates did not think much of him as a person. So no it was not all fun and giggles in the Bulls locker room. But that does not correlate to championships.

RichardHawes
12-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Maybe we need JasiCabbages to bring the teams crazy eyes back

NapTonius Monk
12-14-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm expecting he and Tyler to go about 24/24 as things start and go from there.It doesn't sound like he'll be held out 8 weeks or nothing. Just sounds more like they'll be balancing the work load a bit more during that time.

Pacergeek
12-14-2011, 05:46 PM
And you know this because you've spent how much time playing in the NBA?

You think Kobe and Duncan are playing around now? You dont think Reggie and Mark Jackson came into training camp with a buisness like attitude?

imawhat
12-14-2011, 05:58 PM
I understand why it's a concern, but I've thought the Pacers of the past two seasons play better when they're loose.

They're not going to be loose if they're 0-7, so it shouldn't be a huge concern. It will correct itself if it's a problem.

Brohan Cruyff
12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
You think Kobe and Duncan are playing around now? You dont think Reggie and Mark Jackson came into training camp with a buisness like attitude?

None of us knows one way or the other. The point is that it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some people react well to one modus operandi, some react well to another. Right now I'm willing to trust Vogel has a handle on his team, and how best to prepare them for this season. This is a total non-issue for me.

alamo1978
12-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Nah. Vogel just cracked the whip and said, "You guys will all leave here today and write your parents and fans and tell them that we are all having fun! If you disobey, you go in the box!"

Then he punched West in the stones just to make an example.

He's got the contract this year. He doesn't need to be Mr. Niceguy anymore.

Post of the year. Laughed out loud at work.

Sookie
12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Seems like all the guys are really positive and upbeat. That's not a bad thing.

The "killer" mentality is from the players. But you can be extremely competitive and have fun at the same time.

pezasied182
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Kobe is Kobe, so he's not going to joke regardless and be super cereal all the time, and Duncan isn't a joker either. Some teams have a joking around personality, others don't. Look at the Heat, Wade and LeBron both play around a lot, and that worked out ok for them last year. Dwight Howard and Steve Nash also play around a lot.

The only time I'd worry about things being lighthearted is like the finals or if someone decides to play the Arenas "practical joke" of bringing guns into the locker room.

Pacer Fan
12-14-2011, 06:34 PM

WTF :eek:

Brad8888
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Wipe that smile off your face, maggots!. Toe the line. Make your bed every single morning, military corners. 9:00 pm curfew. No women the night before a practice OR a game, not that any of you maggots deserve the affection of a woman. Arriving to practice 15 minutes early is too late. Mandatory inspection of player quarters and attire will occur each an every morning at 6:00 am and again at 9:30 pm. Lights out 10:00 pm SHARP.

THAT is how players shall conduct themselves on MY SQUAD!!!!!

Anyone unable, for ANY reason, to comply with these directives has no place on MY SQUAD and shall be dishonorably discharged, and shall forever be a disgrace to their family name and a disgusting, hopeless failure for the rest of their sorry days...

PacersHomer
12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
MJ and Kobe win championships because they're really awesome, not because they are downers.

Kemo
12-15-2011, 01:50 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IJ_R-G_i4Xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>